PDA

View Full Version : Rivalries: What is your preferred competition level?

Preferred Walk-On
June 7th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Why the **** would you want them to win another football game or be competitive in the conference or in state. Their program needs to be ground into the dust so they are competing for D3 prospects for football.

Do you want the games to be competitive so it is easier to scalp your Bison tickets, I see no other reason for wanting the games to be competitive.

A post on another thread (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?229687-Hero-Sports-preseason-Top-25&p=2774107&viewfull=1#post2774107) leads me to this poll question:

Would you rather:

A. See your team's rival be a colossal failure, not be competitive in the slightest...with anybody, and your team beats them every year 60-0?

B. See your team's rival be very competitive, knowing that the game in which your team plays them will be exciting and may ultimately determine the conference champion?

C. Another option...to be described in a post.

By the way, I've been to every Bison home game (and almost every tailgate) since I moved back to Fargo over a decade ago, have been to Frisco six times, and the only time the Bison did not go to Frisco in that stretch, somebody from James Madison or Youngstown State purchased eight tickets at face value from me...so you decide on the scalping.

Also, I am actually thrilled that South Dakota State (current rival?) has been as tough as they have been since moving up with NDSU...and I hope they continue to be very competitive as well, just not better than NDSU. Please don't get me wrong. I enjoy it when NDSU destroys a rival...especially when that rival is not a conference doormat and the game is expected to be close/competitive.

Model Citizen
June 7th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Rivalries, over the long term, need to be tightly contested. It does not matter whether the game is played for first place or last place.

Rivalries are also characterized by respect between the two schools. Respect is different than affection.

Rivalries are tough to come by in a football only league. However, I'm anticipating an eventual PFL rivalry between Augustana and Valparaiso. Lutherpalooza.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 7th, 2019, 02:12 PM
For me as a Bison fan:

I want UND to go 0-11 every year. Pretty easy one.

SDSU? If they beat the Bison more then maybe that same feeling will come.

Other Valley teams? Beat them all.

BisonFan02
June 7th, 2019, 02:28 PM
UND should discontinue football and focus on hockey. **** em.

Preferred Walk-On
June 7th, 2019, 02:34 PM
For me as a Bison fan:

I can appreciate the sentiment, and I appreciate the post.

Hey, I want the Bison to go undefeated as well (or at the worst, take a loss during the regular season that grounds them but does not affect seeding much). If UND is 0-11 every year, and the Bison 11-0, is there even a point to this matchup, other than saying they can beat up on a weaker kid? With the Bison fans (and certainly FCS fans) being tired of watching blowouts (see attendance figures, especially for playoffs), the scenario proposed above for a good NDSU team playing a non-competitive UND team becomes exactly what many fans are complaining about. My opinion is simply that disparity between rivals makes for a crappy (or at least uninteresting) rivalry, and parity makes for better rivalries.

BisonFan02
June 7th, 2019, 02:36 PM

Hey, I want the Bison to go undefeated as well (or at the worst, take a loss during the regular season that grounds them but does not affect seeding much). If UND is 0-11 every year, and the Bison 11-0, is there even a point to this matchup, other than saying they can beat up on a weaker kid? With the Bison fans (and certainly FCS fans) being tired of watching blowouts (see attendance figures, especially for playoffs), the scenario proposed above for a good NDSU team playing a non-competitive UND team becomes exactly what many fans are complaining about. My opinion is simply that disparity between rivals makes for a crappy (or at least uninteresting) rivalry, and parity makes for better rivalries.

The first time UND is competitive against or beats NDSU, those "many fans" will be calling for a coaches head. Book it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 7th, 2019, 02:44 PM

UND is our main rival no matter what is said by any fan.

They will get better and probably win a game soon, it will happen.

I love blowouts as with any other win.

For me there is no sense having a brutal OOC slate every year because the Valley is tough enough.

Entertaining?

Beating down UND annually would be awesome and our fanbase would love it.

Preferred Walk-On
June 7th, 2019, 02:49 PM
The first time UND is competitive against or beats NDSU, those "many fans" will be calling for a coaches head. Book it.

What about the first time UND is competitive but still does not beat NDSU? Won't those victories be just a bit more meaningful, knowing that NDSU did not just beat on a weakling? BTW, "fans" were calling for Bohl's/Vigen's head in 2009, and they did not even play UND. Lose to UND but win a championship (conference and/or national), and I think those "many fans" will be less (but still there, because unfortunately, you cannot fix stupid).

Preferred Walk-On
June 7th, 2019, 02:52 PM
UND is our main rival no matter what is said by any fan.

They will get better and probably win a game soon, it will happen.

I love blowouts as with any other win.

For me there is no sense having a brutal OOC slate every year because the Valley is tough enough.

Entertaining?

Beating down UND annually would be awesome and our fanbase would love it.

It isn't just about beating down UND, it is about beating down a GOOD UND. I'm fine with the beatdown, just doesn't mean much (at least to me) if they suck. I don't want them to just be a proximity rival.

Preferred Walk-On
June 7th, 2019, 02:54 PM
UND should discontinue football and focus on hockey. **** em.

Appreciate the sentiment, but not sure I follow the "**** 'em" argument though and why it makes for a better rivalry. xdrunkyx

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 7th, 2019, 03:07 PM
It isn't just about beating down UND, it is about beating down a GOOD UND. I'm fine with the beatdown, just doesn't mean much (at least to me) if they suck. I don't want them to just be a proximity rival.

Why does UND have to be "good" for it to be a good rivalry?

The Bison could win the next 16 head/head games and win 16 titles and UND rubes would say...." at least we have the better head/head record"........THAT is a true rivalry!!

TheKingpin28
June 7th, 2019, 03:20 PM
GFCC going 0-11and getting curbed stomped by the Bison is a good year.

GFCC going 0-11, getting curbed stomped by the Bison, and beating SDSU is a great year.

GFCC going 0-11, getting curbed stomped by the Bison, beating SDSU, and winning the Natty, priceless.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
June 7th, 2019, 03:21 PM
As much as I love to taunt the Mocs fans I truly hope they come into our place swinging this season. My favorite games since I've been at JSU are our games with UTC in 2014 and 2015, not because we won, but because they were REALLY damn good football games.... But also because we won. :D

Preferred Walk-On
June 7th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Why does UND have to be "good" for it to be a good rivalry?

The Bison could win the next 16 head/head games and win 16 titles and UND rubes would say...." at least we have the better head/head record"........THAT is a true rivalry!!

Fine, I guess the Bison could just be bad to generate parity, although this is definitely not my preferred method to have a good rivalry.

I won't argue the validity of your second part, other than to say that if it were the opposite direction (Bizarro world), the 0-16 NDSU rubes would do the same thing. Now, I doubt very much that it will be the opposite, but I do know that every team has rubes. IMO, that doesn't make it a rivalry, that just makes those people sound stupid. Also, you forgot that those particular rubes would also point out the illegitimacy of/make excuses for each of the 16 wins and championships, just sayin'.:D

Catbooster
June 7th, 2019, 03:24 PM
GFCC going 0-11and getting curbed stomped by the Bison is a good year.

GFCC going 0-11, getting curbed stomped by the Bison, and beating SDSU is a great year.

GFCC going 0-11, getting curbed stomped by the Bison, beating SDSU, and winning the Natty, priceless.

You realize that GFCC is the subject of those sentences? :D

Preferred Walk-On
June 7th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Quick, name your favorite non-proximity rivalry. Now, why is it a rivalry?

BisonTru
June 7th, 2019, 03:26 PM
SDSU is the perfect rival. Competitive but always behind the shadow.

uni88
June 7th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Rivalries, over the long term, need to be tightly contested. It does not matter whether the game is played for first place or last place.

Rivalries are also characterized by respect between the two schools. Respect is different than affection.

Rivalries are tough to come by in a football only league. However, I'm anticipating an eventual PFL rivalry between Augustana and Valparaiso. Lutherpalooza.Valpo is a basketball school and I'm not sure how much interest the football team draws. I would guess that there would be more interest on campus and with parents in a game against Augustana College than one against Augustana University.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 7th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Quick, name your favorite non-proximity rivalry. Now, why is it a rivalry?

I suppose UND and SDSU are proximity rivals.

Non?

I guess besides UNI, the only other conference teams that really move the needle for me are YSU and ILL State.

Not sure if we have an OOC rival.

POD Knows
June 7th, 2019, 05:10 PM

Hey, I want the Bison to go undefeated as well (or at the worst, take a loss during the regular season that grounds them but does not affect seeding much). If UND is 0-11 every year, and the Bison 11-0, is there even a point to this matchup, other than saying they can beat up on a weaker kid? With the Bison fans (and certainly FCS fans) being tired of watching blowouts (see attendance figures, especially for playoffs), the scenario proposed above for a good NDSU team playing a non-competitive UND team becomes exactly what many fans are complaining about. My opinion is simply that disparity between rivals makes for a crappy (or at least uninteresting) rivalry, and parity makes for better rivalries.Who the hell says they should be our rival, beat them to dust, reduce their presence in the division and get rid of them. Answer me this, if you asked a coach for the Bison if they would prefer "parity" with that school from the north and the Bison coach answered, "well, shucks, yea, we want them to be good so we can play competitive games against them", that Bison coach should have his ass handed to him and ran out of town. The correct answer is that the Bison should beat them by 40 every year until they cancel their ****ing program like they did with women's hockey.

POD Knows
June 7th, 2019, 05:16 PM
Quick, name your favorite non-proximity rivalry. Now, why is it a rivalry?We don't have one, if we did it would be SHSU because of the playoffs and the Natty's. Maybe Montana or EWU. UND in football currently is not a rivalry and when we beat their ass by 30 this year, all they will be is a conference cupcake.

POD Knows
June 7th, 2019, 05:20 PM
Appreciate the sentiment, but not sure I follow the "**** 'em" argument though and why it makes for a better rivalry. xdrunkyxLet me guess, you are one of these guys that hates blow outs. You leave at halftime because the Bison are smoking some unfortunate foe. Am I right?

TheKingpin28
June 7th, 2019, 07:26 PM
You realize that GFCC is the subject of those sentences? :DI figured it was implied how it went along but yes, looking back on it, I get it.

Model Citizen
June 7th, 2019, 07:31 PM
For me as a Bison fan:

I want UND to go 0-11 every year.

Really? I'd want my rival to win games outside the conference.

Mr. Potato Head may have expressed my sentiment best...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsYlxqOm2cA

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
June 7th, 2019, 07:40 PM

Nope UND can lose every game from now until the end of time.

Model Citizen
June 7th, 2019, 07:48 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/1b4c0f39b7c00f565f10e03a13052927/tenor.gif?itemid=5336862

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
June 7th, 2019, 07:53 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/1b4c0f39b7c00f565f10e03a13052927/tenor.gif?itemid=5336862

That commercial is a sham. The guy is Italian. The fighting Whouix can suck a big ole juicy one.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 7th, 2019, 08:18 PM

Pfft.....really?

No way.

Bisonoline
June 7th, 2019, 08:21 PM
For me as a Bison fan:

I voted I wanted a competitive game. Except for UND of course. Ive met way too many douche bags from that school.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 7th, 2019, 08:30 PM
I voted I wanted a competitive game. Except for UND of course. Ive met way too many douche bags from that school.

Were the games "chippy" when you played PL?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
June 7th, 2019, 08:44 PM
I would say Lafayette is about where you want them since they are easily the #1 rival. Lafayette hasn't had a winning record since 2009, Lehigh has pretty much owned them since the mid 1970's yet the Leopards win just enough to keep things interesting.

The Lehigh/Colgate rivalry is about as even as it gets over the last 20-25 years.

Preferred Walk-On
June 7th, 2019, 08:58 PM
Who the hell says they should be our rival, beat them to dust, reduce their presence in the division and get rid of them. Answer me this, if you asked a coach for the Bison if they would prefer "parity" with that school from the north and the Bison coach answered, "well, shucks, yea, we want them to be good so we can play competitive games against them", that Bison coach should have his ass handed to him and ran out of town. The correct answer is that the Bison should beat them by 40 every year until they cancel their ****ing program like they did with women's hockey.

Well shucks, I'm not a coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preferred Walk-On
June 7th, 2019, 09:05 PM
We don't have one, if we did it would be SHSU because of the playoffs and the Natty's. Maybe Montana or EWU. UND in football currently is not a rivalry and when we beat their ass by 30 this year, all they will be is a conference cupcake.

You mean a team that we have met multiple times, because they are good, might be considered a rivalry. I might even go as far as to say James Madison is a budding rivalry. Why? Because although we have only played them three times in FCS, they have provided great competition and might be considered our peer from the CAA, a similarly competitive conference to the MVFC.

By the way, in response to a previous post, I believe our coaches have commented numerous times about the quality of the MVFC in preparing teams for the playoffs. Having strong teams in the MVFC (including UND) probably helps NDSU.

Preferred Walk-On
June 7th, 2019, 09:10 PM
Let me guess, you are one of these guys that hates blow outs. You leave at halftime because the Bison are smoking some unfortunate foe. Am I right?

Actually, I never leave early. Don't hate blowouts, but I can tell you that a game against Southern Illinois really don't get me that excited either.

Preferred Walk-On
June 7th, 2019, 09:14 PM

I'm not talking about a competitive game. I'm talking about a competitive team. If both teams were 11-0, and NDSU blew them out, I would be just fine with that. The excitement leading up to the game would be better than if one team were 11-0 and the other 0-11.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 7th, 2019, 09:14 PM
You mean a team that we have met multiple times, because they are good, might be considered a rivalry. I might even go as far as to say James Madison is a budding rivalry. Why? Because although we have only played them three times in FCS, they have provided great competition and might be considered our peer from the CAA, a similarly competitive conference to the MVFC.

By the way, in response to a previous post, I believe our coaches have commented numerous times about the quality of the MVFC in preparing teams for the playoffs. Having strong teams in the MVFC (including UND) probably helps NDSU.

JMU is not a rival and never will be IMO. Potential good game in the playoffs? Sure.

True NDSU rivals now are SDSU and UND.

Bisonoline
June 7th, 2019, 09:16 PM
Were the games "chippy" when you played PL?

UNI was chippy and dirty. Very dirty. UND they just liked to talk a lot.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 7th, 2019, 09:17 PM
I'm not talking about a competitive game. I'm talking about a competitive team. If both teams were 11-0, and NDSU blew them out, I would be just fine with that. The excitement leading up to the game would be better than if one team were 11-0 and the other 0-11.

Totally disagree.

Records will not matter when it comes to UND. I'm looking forward to this game the most along with the Butler game.

CHIP72
June 7th, 2019, 09:19 PM
With teams I hate, I always root against them and hope they suck every year. Teams I don’t hate/merely dislike but are rivals to my team (probably best example for me is the Giants in the NFL, who are one the Eagles’ biggest rivals, arguably their BIGGEST rival), I don’t mind if they are competitive and it is sweeter when my team beats them in an important game or series.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 7th, 2019, 09:19 PM

UNI is odd. Least friendly fanbase I've ever been around

DFW HOYA
June 7th, 2019, 09:25 PM

Rivalries are tough to come by in a football only league.

Rivalries demand priority, too. The Patriot League has done its level best to ensure that the rivalry in the front row (Lehigh and Lafayette) is a priority, at the expense of all other rivalries in the league. Colgate-Holy Cross immediately comes to mind. They've played 81 times and the PL rotates it like a non-conference game.

On the back row, Georgetown has been in the PL almost 20 years without any tangible rivalry whatsoever.

POD Knows
June 7th, 2019, 09:30 PM
Actually, I never leave early. Don't hate blowouts, but I can tell you that a game against Southern Illinois really don't get me that excited either.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJust messing with you, my loathing of UND keeps me from wishing anything decent on them. I want them to be perennial cellar dwellers, bottom feeders and losers. It gives me great joy to imagine them curled up in the fetal position, clinging desperately to their well worn Fighting Sioux hockey jersey and watching another 4 TD beat down. God help me, I do love it so.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 7th, 2019, 09:36 PM
Just messing with you, my loathing of UND keeps me from wishing anything decent on them. I want them to be perennial cellar dwellers, bottom feeders and losers. It gives me great joy to imagine them curled up in the fetal position, clinging desperately to their well worn Fighting Sioux hockey jersey and watching another 4 TD beat down. God help me, I do love it so.

You going to be pacing the aisle over there by your seats for this one?

Their young OC is changing it up offensively up there. This one could get ugly.

Fox will have a pick 6.

- - - Updated - - -

Cox

FUBeAR
June 8th, 2019, 07:11 AM
Voted “Other”

...would like to see them tear down their stadium (they are already halfway there), drop football, move to D3, drop athletics, close down the school, raze the buildings, and build a civil rights themed amusement park on the land where it once stood.

Yep...that should about do it. xsmiley_wix

POD Knows
June 8th, 2019, 08:32 AM
You going to be pacing the aisle over there by your seats for this one?

Their young OC is changing it up offensively up there. This one could get ugly.

Fox will have a pick 6.

- - - Updated - - -

CoxI will always be pacing, I might have to move back into the SE corner if it gets close. Nothing less than a 4 TD victory will be acceptable. I really have no idea what kind of team UND is going to field this year, it sounds like they are in the hurt bag at the QB position and that they intend to sling the ball around a little, that could be interesting. I am still coming down from the high I got from the greatest college hockey team known to man not making the playoffs this year.

Preferred Walk-On
June 8th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Voted “Other”

...would like to see them tear down their stadium (they are already halfway there), drop football, move to D3, drop athletics, close down the school, raze the buildings, and build a civil rights themed amusement park on the land where it once stood.

Yep...that should about do it. xsmiley_wix

So...end rivalry? xsmiley_wix

Preferred Walk-On
June 8th, 2019, 01:57 PM
JMU is not a rival and never will be IMO. Potential good game in the playoffs? Sure.

True NDSU rivals now are SDSU and UND.

I can appreciate that. However, I remember UNI being a rival before the two teams even played a game (NDSU's 10-1 Great West days). That rivalry was fueled by fans "politely discussing" (Ha!) about who was better when one team was not playoff eligible. That rivalry dwindled once NDSU started dominating the series, but even you would probably admit that you were more annoyed that NDSU lost to UNI to break their winning streak than perhaps some other MVFC team not named SDSU. I am just wondering if SDSU had not been so successful over the past decade, would this really be a true rivalry?

Bisonoline
June 8th, 2019, 02:27 PM
I can appreciate that. However, I remember UNI being a rival before the two teams even played a game (NDSU's 10-1 Great West days). That rivalry was fueled by fans "politely discussing" (Ha!) about who was better when one team was not playoff eligible. That rivalry dwindled once NDSU started dominating the series, but even you would probably admit that you were more annoyed that NDSU lost to UNI to break their winning streak than perhaps some other MVFC team not named SDSU. I am just wondering if SDSU had not been so successful over the past decade, would this really be a true rivalry?

The rivalry with UNI has its roots going back to the old NCC. Back then SDSU was not a rivalry as they were considered---just another game and werent very good.

FUBeAR
June 8th, 2019, 02:31 PM
So...end rivalry? xsmiley_wix
https://66.media.tumblr.com/93a36d17be90e43fdf2f72837cb1e539/tumblr_oz2n3c8VJM1w8qokno1_640.gif

No...just end rival.

Sader87
June 8th, 2019, 04:07 PM
What is this 'football rival' you speak of??? :)

Schism55
June 8th, 2019, 04:17 PM
Can we get Augie and Morningside back in the mix? xdrunkyx

DFW HOYA
June 8th, 2019, 07:48 PM
What is this 'football rival' you speak of??? :)

The rivalry the Patriot League chooses to ignore.

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/152602275985_/10-3-1952-Holy-Cross-Vs-Colgate-Official-Game.jpg

Redbird 4th & short
June 9th, 2019, 08:33 AM
No brainer .. if you likes sports and are competitive by nature, the games you remember the most are those close ones you gutted out and won ... or lost .. and the latter should stick in your crawl forever if played right. This is what makes great games .. especially rivalry games. Blow outs are fine once in a while, and then do feel good... but gets boring after a while.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 9th, 2019, 11:36 AM
No brainer .. if you likes sports and are competitive by nature, the games you remember the most are those close ones you gutted out and won ... or lost .. and the latter should stick in your crawl forever if played right. This is what makes great games .. especially rivalry games. Blow outs are fine once in a while, and then do feel good... but gets boring after a while.

Beating UND 50-0 annually would be awesome and I would never get sick of it!!

xnodx

Little Stevie
June 9th, 2019, 12:34 PM
I would say Rhody has to beat Maine and UNH to get to playoffs .
Beat neither or one of the two and can plan on staying home.

katss07
June 9th, 2019, 01:20 PM
The rivalry the Patriot League chooses to ignore.

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/152602275985_/10-3-1952-Holy-Cross-Vs-Colgate-Official-Game.jpg
Never knew this was a rivalry...maybe it’ll heat up again. Those two will be the best in the Patriot in 2019.

Redbird 4th & short
June 9th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Beating UND 50-0 annually would be awesome and I would never get sick of it!!

xnodx

I kind of get it ... there are ISU fans who feel similar towards U of I .. but it's more to do with having a massive chip on our shoulder for being viewed as inferior .. the less of the 2 state schools, and moreso academics than athletics, as far as the inferiority complex/chip. Me personally ... I could care less beating U of I vs say beating Northwestern .. in fact, Northwestern in clearly the better program.

In meantime, our rivalry game with EIU used to much more competitive .. and would get very chippy. This was more their inferiority complex towards us. I used to hear stories about the crap that would go on during those games.

Here's the best example ... 2012 at home .. 3rd game of season. We won in 2 OT ... Garrapolo and Matt Brown were slugging it out through the air. But it was ugly-as-f--- n the trenches and on special teams .. and EIU had the refs fooled all game. EIU knew and used every dirty trick in the book to provoke our players. Annually, were usually one of the least penalized teams in MVFC and FCS. After 2 games in 2012, we were #1 in country in least penalties with just 2 in 2 games. That 3rd game, we were called for 29 penalties, with 22 enforced, 7 declined or offsetting. Refs were god awful, but we played right into their hands and the refs obliged. So we win the game on OT TD throw after they only got a FG ... utter elation and one of the loudest roars I've ever heard at Hancock ... but within seconds of the TD celebration as refs ran from one end of field to the other to exit stadium, the crowd went from cheers to boos ... it was hilarious, but also the worst officiated game Ive ever seen.

My favorite bad calls of the day ?

1. 2 EIU guys take down one of our guys on kickoff. 2 of them literally are on top of our 1 guy on the ground. The 2 are pummeling him well after the whistle, so our guy is naturally defending himself while laying on his back right in front of our bench. Flags fly ... we're all like finally, we got a call from their dirty play !!! But ref calls offsetting penalties .. I guess our guy should just have layed there on his back while they literally were punching him.

2. 3rd and long, Garapolo gets flushed from pocket and gets forced out of bounds 2 yards before 1st down pole, but sideline guy drops the pole to avoid being hit. The entire EIU punt teams starts running on the field .. ref places the ball 2 yards further, doesn't even check the 1st down marker and calls first down. The best part was watching EIU coaches screaming at their punt team to get off the field.

Anyway, every game with them was somewhat like that .. though that was most memorable. And it didn't much matter if we were clearly better .. they came to play and played dirty. But the last 2 or 3 years, it seems to have changed and we've blown them out the last 2 years, and the games are no longer chippy ... IMO, the rivalry is a lot less interesting now.

Reign of Terrier
June 10th, 2019, 08:11 AM
Wofford is in a weird position in terms of rivals, as it differs from sport to sport.

For instance, we're YUGE rivals with ETSU in basketball; both teams probably have the best fans in the socon and they're both really competitive. But in football, it's not there because between shutting down football and being sort of bad before that, I don't think they've beaten us since maybe 2001?

But for football, I'd say it's easily Furman and the Citadel, with a growing rivalry with Samford. We're in a weird position with the rivalries with Furman/the Citadel because we were at a competitive disadvantage to them for the longest time (we were d2 up until about 20 years ago while they were D1). So right now, both Furman and the Citadel have a lopsided margin in the overall series, but Wofford is closer with both of them (Furman/Wofford is 54-32-7 for Furman; Citadel/Wofford 42-29-1 Citadel; Furman/Citadel 60-35-3, Furman).

This is made even more complicated by the fact that Wofford has won like 19 of the last 21 against the Citadel. We have a pretty decent record against Furman in the last decade or so (8 of 13), but we're not likely to threaten closing the margins too much.

Samford is a rival because both teams have played on relatively equal footing, Wofford has somewhat controlled the conference in terms of capturing the autobid (among current teams) in the last decade, whereas Samford has beaten us 4 straight years.

To be honest, I prefer a rivalry in terms of competitiveness like Wofford-Samford, but I want both teams playing at the level of Wofford/Furman (right now) or Wofford/Citadel (in 2016). The problem with Samford right now (as a program) is that they haven't won a playoff game since 1991 and they've only won a single socon championship since joining over a decade ago (it was a tie). They're a good team and a good program and probably has more players in the NFL right now of any other socon team, but they have nothing to show for it.

Bisonator
June 10th, 2019, 08:24 AM
The only thing und could do to make me happy is burn to the ****ing ground.

Bisonoline
June 10th, 2019, 03:08 PM
The only thing und could do to make me happy is burn to the ****ing ground.

xthumbsupx:D

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Take Chernobyl and move it right into the middle of UND's campus and make the containment building large enough that it holds the radiation on the campus. Do this after salting all of the earth and making sure to state all of the buildings are unfit for living.

They are lucky that Bismarck wanted the State Penitentiary instead of a University back in the 1800s - same thing with Vermilion and Sioux Falls.

POD Knows
June 10th, 2019, 03:43 PM
The only thing und could do to make me happy is burn to the ****ing ground.Actually, I might more pleasure if UND dropped to D2 in FB and BB and then continued to lose to their DI hockey foes, UMD, SCSU and Mankato.

GAD
June 10th, 2019, 07:06 PM
THIS...The other team has to win sometimes, if both teams fans are not into it How much of a rivalry do you really have?

uni88
June 10th, 2019, 11:05 PM
I kind of get it ... there are ISU fans who feel similar towards U of I .. but it's more to do with having a massive chip on our shoulder for being viewed as inferior .. the less of the 2 state schools, and moreso academics than athletics, as far as the inferiority complex/chip. Me personally ... I could care less beating U of I vs say beating Northwestern .. in fact, Northwestern in clearly the better program.

I hate to break it to you Bird but ISUr is academically inferior to U of I. Every public school in FCS, including UNI, is academically inferior to U of I. They're one of the top 10 if not top 5 public universities in the US. Now with that said, if one of my kids had the choice between ISUr or U of I, I would steer them toward ISUr unless they wanted to pursue graduate school and a career in research and/or academia.

ISUr is a great school but it's not 1 of the 2 state schools. I lived in the Chicago area for 30 years and NIU has a bigger following and is a closer competitor to U of I for market share in greater Chicago. Illinois doesn't have a directional school name so it has that going for it. If NIU was named Illinois State they might have gotten a Big12 invite rather than West Virginia. Illinois State might have gotten that invite if they were in the MAC.

Redbird 4th & short
June 11th, 2019, 08:57 AM
I hate to break it to you Bird but ISUr is academically inferior to U of I. Every public school in FCS, including UNI, is academically inferior to U of I. They're one of the top 10 if not top 5 public universities in the US. Now with that said, if one of my kids had the choice between ISUr or U of I, I would steer them toward ISUr unless they wanted to pursue graduate school and a career in research and/or academia.

ISUr is a great school but it's not 1 of the 2 state schools. I lived in the Chicago area for 30 years and NIU has a bigger following and is a closer competitor to U of I for market share in greater Chicago. Illinois doesn't have a directional school name so it has that going for it. If NIU was named Illinois State they might have gotten a Big12 invite rather than West Virginia. Illinois State might have gotten that invite if they were in the MAC.
No doubt, we are the little brother to U of I, and while ISUr does well on most fronts, U of I is clearly a notch above academically ... hence the chip on our fans shoulders. I don;t have that chip but many do .. I get it, but don't have it.

Now NIU comparison is entirely different story ... many ISU fans would easily argue, ISU is without doubt the superior school. The only difference is NIU has doubled down in every way on their football program (i.e. over-invested), while they struggle elsewhere in sports and enrollment. By contrast, ISUr is much more prudent about it's investments and while many ISUr fans would argue we have under-invested in our football program, there has been steady progress sonce 2009 with following examples: Spack hire in 2009, Hancock 25m eastside reconstruction in 2013, new jumbo scoreboard in 2014, new field turf in 2018. And currently even ... there are on again/off again plans for a multi-purpose indoor facility .. currenty a sore subject among ther fan base, but it is work in progress for a $150m Redbird Rising Campaign .. the money is 90%+ there .... only question being, will they allocate the 15m+ needed for this indoor facility. AD Lyons committed to this indoor facility being # on sports priority list in a Redbird Rising Promo Video .. and has since waffled on this public commitment. He is getting roasted for this .. but it is still work in progress getting it approved .. we shall see.

In any case, aside from football programs, ISU fan base has no inferiority complex/chip towards NIU. And as it happens, we play them in opener this year at their place .. we feel like we will compete just fine on football field this year. Historically, they were certainly the bigger and better football programs with bigger following by far. But that gap has closed considerably, and their attendance continues to decline. Obviously, they have more TV fans given the MAC contract, but I believe we are closing the gap on every other level other than their TV revenue which helps their following for sure.

clenz
June 11th, 2019, 12:52 PM

UNI is odd. Least friendly fanbase I've ever been around

https://media.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/media/24166/fart-noise.gif

Sader87
June 11th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Slightly off topic but it does involve "rivalries" (and tangentially FCS attendance)...Holy Cross hasn't had a true football rival since we stopped playing BC annually in 1986. Admittedly, on the gridiron itself, it had ceased to be a truly competitive rivalry but it still was a draw to fans/alums in the area. HC really needs to start a new football rivalry...I think although Colgate fits that definition historically etc, Fordham would probably be the best fit imo.

clenz
June 11th, 2019, 01:05 PM
As for the topic....

Rivals for me have to meet a couple basic criteria

Must play across multiple sports frequently. Being the in the same conference helps but isn't required. Thus EIU/WIU/ISUR all can meet criteria of rivals. However, UNI and WIU/SDSU/USD/NDSU/UND will never be a rivalry game for me. They can be heated games, but it's not a rivalry situation for me. UNI has played WIU in football every year since 1984...not a rival. UNI and NDSU seem to really really really dislike each other. Not a rival for me. Maybe if UNI and NDSU were consistent OOC opponents in basketball, softball, volleyball, women's basketball, etc. it could get there. However, if you are OOC and play each other a lot it doesn't make you a rival either. There needs to be more to it.

UNI and Iowa/Iowa State (as dumb as this sounds) has been a rivalry for a long ****ing time, but they are doing everything they can to make it not anymore. Iowa has pulled MBB, volleyball, and wrestling away from UNI. The only sports that really play anymore are softball, women's soccer and women's basketball - and there has been rumblings those are on the outs as well. Iowa State hasn't been quite as bad as they've only pulled men's basketball. Still play in every other sport every year - and will come to Cedar Falls unlike Iowa.

UNI's top rivals, IMO (and will be pretty common across UNI fans)

1. Drake
2. SIU
3. ISUr
4. MSU (just recently moved below ISUr due to younger fans not really remembering "Bear week" for what it used to be. MSU and SIU are the only two football games that "get their own week" among the fan base. "Bear week" and "Saluki week" carry history)

5. Bradley
6. Iowa State/Iowa
7. Indiana State

No one else really "matters" per se. Wichita State and sCUm will always have "honorary most hated" status, but with them moving to other conferences it isn't "active"

I suppose you could classify "Football rival" "basketball rival" etc...

As for how I want them to do outside of playing UNI? If every team could lose every game they play that would be my dream

walliver
June 11th, 2019, 01:23 PM
A non-competitive rivalry is a historical tradition not a rivalry. It doesn't have to be a 50-50 split, but there has to be a legitimate chance of either team winning the game. When one team clearly dominates, it is hard to maintain a true rivalry. An example would be the Battle of the Old Mountain Jug between WCU and Appy. Over time, App State stepped up their football while WCU let their program flounder. The game probably stopped being a true "rivalry" well before ASU left for the Belch.

ngineer
June 11th, 2019, 01:24 PM
I want Laughyette to become competitive, again, once we catch them in the series making up for the vast wasteland of the 1930-40's!xsmiley_wix

clenz
June 11th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Disagree.

UNI is 34-5 against Missouri State. Rivalry

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

uni88
June 11th, 2019, 09:31 PM
As for the topic....

Rivals for me have to meet a couple basic criteria

Must play across multiple sports frequently. Being the in the same conference helps but isn't required. Thus EIU/WIU/ISUR all can meet criteria of rivals. However, UNI and WIU/SDSU/USD/NDSU/UND will never be a rivalry game for me. They can be heated games, but it's not a rivalry situation for me. UNI has played WIU in football every year since 1984...not a rival. UNI and NDSU seem to really really really dislike each other. Not a rival for me. Maybe if UNI and NDSU were consistent OOC opponents in basketball, softball, volleyball, women's basketball, etc. it could get there. However, if you are OOC and play each other a lot it doesn't make you a rival either. There needs to be more to it.

UNI and Iowa/Iowa State (as dumb as this sounds) has been a rivalry for a long ****ing time, but they are doing everything they can to make it not anymore. Iowa has pulled MBB, volleyball, and wrestling away from UNI. The only sports that really play anymore are softball, women's soccer and women's basketball - and there has been rumblings those are on the outs as well. Iowa State hasn't been quite as bad as they've only pulled men's basketball. Still play in every other sport every year - and will come to Cedar Falls unlike Iowa.

UNI's top rivals, IMO (and will be pretty common across UNI fans)

1. Drake
2. SIU
3. ISUr
4. MSU (just recently moved below ISUr due to younger fans not really remembering "Bear week" for what it used to be. MSU and SIU are the only two football games that "get their own week" among the fan base. "Bear week" and "Saluki week" carry history)

5. Bradley
6. Iowa State/Iowa
7. Indiana State

No one else really "matters" per se. Wichita State and sCUm will always have "honorary most hated" status, but with them moving to other conferences it isn't "active"

I suppose you could classify "Football rival" "basketball rival" etc...

As for how I want them to do outside of playing UNI? If every team could lose every game they play that would be my dream

Your age also impacts your opinions of what are rivalries. Bear Week was always fun. They used to be good in football and they were better than us in basketball. They joined the Valley first and we followed.

Saluki Week is newer. They didn't join the Gateway until 85. That rivalry used to be great because of the heated competition in football and basketball.

I think there was a long gap without games before football games with Iowa State restarted in 1985.

What's up with volleyball and Iowa? UNI used to have the third best team in the Midwest and Iowa wasn't even in the conversation.

clenz
June 11th, 2019, 09:51 PM
Your age also impacts your opinions of what are rivalries. Bear Week was always fun. They used to be good in football and they were better than us in basketball. They joined the Valley first and we followed.

Saluki Week is newer. They didn't join the Gateway until 85. That rivalry used to be great because of the heated competition in football and basketball.

I think there was a long gap without games before football games with Iowa State restarted in 1985.

What's up with volleyball and Iowa? UNI used to have the third best team in the Midwest and Iowa wasn't even in the conversation.

Iowa still isn't in the conversation - well they are now because they are deep in some kind of major NCAA rules violation.

Iowa won't play UNI in volleyball because they won't win more than 1 out of 10 times. In the midwest it's still Minnesota, UNI, Nebraska and Iowa State "the programs". That bugs the **** out of Iowa. They'll play Iowa State because Cy Hawk but won't play UNI. UNI beat Iowa in softball this year, and I'd heard rumors they don't like UNI softball trending up the last 7 years or so and don't want to "legitimize" UNI as a D1 team by playing them.

uni88
June 11th, 2019, 09:54 PM
Iowa still isn't in the conversation - well they are now because they are deep in some kind of major NCAA rules violation.

Iowa won't play UNI in volleyball because they won't win more than 1 out of 10 times. In the midwest it's still Minnesota, UNI, Nebraska and Iowa State "the programs". That bugs the **** out of Iowa. They'll play Iowa State because Cy Hawk but won't play UNI. UNI beat Iowa in softball this year, and I'd heard rumors they don't like UNI softball trending up the last 7 years or so and don't want to "legitimize" UNI as a D1 team by playing them.If I remember correctly the volleyball programs used to be Nebraska, Illinois and UNI. Of course I was in school while Bobbi was playing so it was a while ago.

clenz
June 11th, 2019, 09:58 PM
Illinois has fallen from top 10 every year to up and down but mostly a good B10 program. They were 17-14 just 2 years ago.

Iowa wishes they could get the support that UNI does

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D80E7j6WwAIF94w?format=jpg&name=large

Bisonator
June 12th, 2019, 11:49 AM

Iowa won't play UNI in volleyball because they won't win more than 1 out of 10 times. In the midwest it's still Minnesota, UNI, Nebraska and Iowa State "the programs". That bugs the **** out of Iowa. They'll play Iowa State because Cy Hawk but won't play UNI. UNI beat Iowa in softball this year, and I'd heard rumors they don't like UNI softball trending up the last 7 years or so and don't want to "legitimize" UNI as a D1 team by playing them.
Must be a B1G requirement to be snobbish.

Reign of Terrier
June 12th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Perhaps I'm being a male chauvinist, but I don't really care for many sports outside of football and Men's basketball when determining rivalry (and, I imagine most of my socon brethren are the same way).

But I agree, playing every year doesn't necessarily count. Wofford and Furman will always be rivals because of the geographic proximity, the similar academics, and the similar success on the football field.

The Citadel is going to be a rival for Wofford for the next generation or so, but if they can't consistently step their game up in men's basketball/football, it'll only be until Wofford surpasses them in the all- time series (which realistically could happen by 2035 or 2040). I mean, the game has a trophy ("The Big Dog Trophy") but few actually know it exists.

Other than that, I don't see any long-term rivals for Wofford. Furman's just a perfect fit, whether they like it or not, and most of the youngins my age recognize each other as rivals.

uni88
June 12th, 2019, 02:29 PM
Must be a B1G0 requirement to be snobbish.

FYP - you forgot the zero for the ten.

clenz
June 12th, 2019, 05:01 PM
No he didn't

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190612/a7b5f7a8b4443b6ad371a48492f01f4f.jpg

uni88
June 13th, 2019, 02:07 PM
No he didn't

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190612/a7b5f7a8b4443b6ad371a48492f01f4f.jpgI prefer B1G0 Conference.

Model Citizen
June 13th, 2019, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=DFW HOYA;2774286... Georgetown has been in the PL almost 20 years without any tangible rivalry whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Too bad Holy Cross hasn't worked out as a rival. I guess attendance is sparse once the weather gets chilly. On the other hand, what is Georgetown doing to promote rivalries with Patriot League schools? Unless you're ND, you can't do it on football alone.

Georgetown hasn't played a men's basketball game against Holy Cross since '79-80. One game v. Fordham since the '70s? There's your answer.

Thumper 76
June 13th, 2019, 04:59 PM
Eh, for myself I feel SDSU has a unique situation rivalry wise. We have a newer rivalry with ndsu that blossomed during the transition when our program took off in the FCS after being historically mediocre post 1950’s. It’s a competitive rivalry where all you want to do is beat them, and there is an underlying level of respect between the programs where if you lose, it sucks but it’s not embarrassing. You go into that game with a burning desire to win.

Meanwhile we have our rivalry with USeD where we had a hiatus when they flipped us the bird for going to FCS, plus a record against them of 22-3 from 1989 to the present. That rivalry you go into the game hoping to god you don’t lose, cause you know it could happen but it shouldn’t. There have been plenty of close games during that stretch but as a Jacks fan I would be embarrassed we lost to them. That rivalry isn’t nearly as fun though due to that fact and the generally more toxic feelings between the two fanbases. This is the rivalry that used to have the dead carcasses of the visiting rival team tossed onto the basketball court during games by students, along with a laundry list of other nice things done over the years.

BisonFan02
June 13th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Eh, for myself I feel SDSU has a unique situation rivalry wise. We have a newer rivalry with ndsu that blossomed during the transition when our program took off in the FCS after being historically mediocre post 1950’s. It’s a competitive rivalry where all you want to do is beat them, and there is an underlying level of respect between the programs where if you lose, it sucks but it’s not embarrassing. You go into that game with a burning desire to win.

Meanwhile we have our rivalry with USeD where we had a hiatus when they flipped us the bird for going to FCS, plus a record against them of 22-3 from 1989 to the present. That rivalry you go into the game hoping to god you don’t lose, cause you know it could happen but it shouldn’t. There have been plenty of close games during that stretch but as a Jacks fan I would be embarrassed we lost to them. That rivalry isn’t nearly as fun though due to that fact and the generally more toxic feelings between the two fanbases. This is the rivalry that used to have the dead carcasses of the visiting rival team tossed onto the basketball court during games by students, along with a laundry list of other nice things done over the years.

Same.

POD Knows
June 13th, 2019, 08:29 PM

Meanwhile we have our rivalry with USeD where we had a hiatus when they flipped us the bird for going to FCS, plus a record against them of 22-3 from 1989 to the present. That rivalry you go into the game hoping to god you don’t lose, cause you know it could happen but it shouldn’t. There have been plenty of close games during that stretch but as a Jacks fan I would be embarrassed we lost to them. That rivalry isn’t nearly as fun though due to that fact and the generally more toxic feelings between the two fanbases. This is the rivalry that used to have the dead carcasses of the visiting rival team tossed onto the basketball court during games by students, along with a laundry list of other nice things done over the years.You don't have a rivalry with them, you go to each others homecomings for ****'s sake. Your rivalry is like the tension between people that the like the Grateful Dead and other ****ty bands from over there.

DFW HOYA
June 13th, 2019, 11:02 PM
Too bad Holy Cross hasn't worked out as a rival. I guess attendance is sparse once the weather gets chilly. On the other hand, what is Georgetown doing to promote rivalries with Patriot League schools? Unless you're ND, you can't do it on football alone. Georgetown hasn't played a men's basketball game against Holy Cross since '79-80. One game v. Fordham since the '70s? There's your answer.

A rivalry needs one of these three intangibles to succeed:

1. Regional proximity (e.g., Lehigh-Lafayette, Pitt-West Virginia)
2. Recruiting among comparable students (Harvard-Yale, Alabama-Auburn)
3. A collection of great games (Notre Dame-USC, Army-Navy)

The closest PL football school to Washington is two states and 200 miles away. The average Georgetown student wouldn't know the difference between Lewisburg and Hamilton because they've never been to either, and wasn't choosing between GU and Fordham to go to college in the first place. Absent #1 or #2, the only way Georgetown was going to develop rivalries in the PL was on the field, and for a variety of reasons that didn't happen.

The basketball scheduling argument is a strawman. Villanova doesn't play CAA Football teams in basketball either, but they've developed a body of work in that conference that leads to rivalries.

Thumper 76
June 14th, 2019, 08:43 AM
You don't have a rivalry with them, you go to each others homecomings for ****'s sake. Your rivalry is like the tension between people that the like the Grateful Dead and other ****ty bands from over there.

Says the fan base that have a good chunk of fans who go to the undies hockey games, at least the people who do that at state are doing it to get drunk and steal their women and not openly cheering for them.

POD Knows
June 14th, 2019, 09:02 AM
Says the fan base that have a good chunk of fans who go to the undies hockey games, at least the people who do that at state are doing it to get drunk and steal their women and not openly cheering for them.Who are they, I want their names and we will start a movement to have their season tickets removed. I know of at least one and he sits with us at games but I have to give him a pass because he is family, sort of.

Thumper 76
June 14th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Who are they, I want their names and we will start a movement to have their season tickets removed. I know of at least one and he sits with us at games but I have to give him a pass because he is family, sort of.

I’ve run into good amount. I have a neighbor who does xlolx Then my backyard neighbor is a undies fan.

IBleedYellow
June 14th, 2019, 09:26 AM
I’ve run into good amount. I have a neighbor who does xlolx Then my backyard neighbor is a undies fan.

Your neighborhood is full of gross people.

clenz
June 14th, 2019, 09:27 AM
Your neighborhood is full of gross people.Well, he does live in Fargo

And I'm assuming not close to the Thundering Hers

dewey
June 14th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Says the fan base that have a good chunk of fans who go to the undies hockey games, at least the people who do that at state are doing it to get drunk and steal their women and not openly cheering for them.

I hear that same crap from time to time "cheer for GFCC because it is good for North Dakota" I want what is best for NDSU and I want GFCC to lose every contest they ever compete in...SIMPLE.

Like Thumper said the rivalry between NDSU & SDSU is a respected rival but that school North of Fargo not so much.

It will be awfully nice to have banner raising right before NDSU curb stomps GFCC.

Dewey

Model Citizen
June 14th, 2019, 10:04 AM
A rivalry needs one of these three intangibles to succeed:

3. A collection of great games (Notre Dame-USC, Army-Navy)

Villanova doesn't play CAA Football teams in basketball either, but they've developed a body of work in that conference that leads to rivalries.

If, like Villanova, you've had a major college program in the last half century, you might be able to play a Temple once in a while. It helps if you have a former rival in your metro area. It also helps if you have enough scholarships to be a bowl counter opponent.

If you have none of these things, you should consider familiarizing your "I have a 1500 SAT, but never heard of Fordham or Holy Cross" student body with the schools you play every year in football. Unless you have a better idea.

POD Knows
June 14th, 2019, 10:06 AM
I’ve run into good amount. I have a neighbor who does xlolx Then my backyard neighbor is a undies fan.Where is the trailer park you live in??

Thumper 76
June 14th, 2019, 10:53 AM
Where is the trailer park you live in??

Right on the other side of the street from Osgood

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 14th, 2019, 11:05 AM
I hear that same crap from time to time "cheer for GFCC because it is good for North Dakota" I want what is best for NDSU and I want GFCC to lose every contest they ever compete in...SIMPLE.

Like Thumper said the rivalry between NDSU & SDSU is a respected rival but that school North of Fargo not so much.

It will be awfully nice to have banner raising right before NDSU curb stomps GFCC.

Dewey

The UND game will be awesome for the banner raising. Show those rubes something they will never get. Plus they will be a cupcake.

SDSU is a rival but not the hatred like UND. SDSU might get there but they need to beat us more and when it really counts....playoffs.

Hope UND goes 0-11

POD Knows
June 14th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Right on the other side of the street from OsgoodMust be one of the nicer courts in town.

Thumper 76
June 14th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Must be one of the nicer courts in town.

Tell ya what we have THE NICEST meth dealer you’ll ever meet.

POD Knows
June 14th, 2019, 11:15 AM
The UND game will be awesome for the banner raising. Show those rubes something they will never get. Plus they will be a cupcake.

SDSU is a rival but not the hatred like UND. SDSU might get there but they need to beat us more and when it really counts....playoffs.

Hope UND goes 0-11So do I but I think they will beat Drake and their ranking as the toughest schedule is a joke, Drake, Idaho State, Cal Poly, SUU and Northern Colorado all suck balls.

IBleedYellow
June 14th, 2019, 11:27 AM
Tell ya what we have THE NICEST meth dealer you’ll ever meet.

Excuse you it's coke only now.

I have very few wishes for this world. Getting rich and watching UND no longer exist as an institution of higher education are equally high on my list. Sadly both are also low on the scale of probability.

Dewey

I forgot about this very beautiful scene that will go down. Hopefully they bring their team out on the field, too.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 14th, 2019, 11:32 AM
So do I but I think they will beat Drake and their ranking as the toughest schedule is a joke, Drake, Idaho State, Cal Poly, SUU and Northern Colorado all suck balls.

I'm sure they think the Johanneson kid from Fargo is going to run all over us and everyone else. He would have been an awesome LB at NDSU..... and he would have had title rings.

Sader87
June 14th, 2019, 03:01 PM
All roads/discussions ultimately lead back to HC not joining the Big East (for HC fans of a certain age anyway)...HC and Georgetown were developing a very good basketball rivalry in the 1970s until we chose not to join the entertainment biz. Too bad...could have led to something in football.

longtimemocfan
June 14th, 2019, 04:31 PM
As much as I love to taunt the Mocs fans I truly hope they come into our place swinging this season. My favorite games since I've been at JSU are our games with UTC in 2014 and 2015, not because we won, but because they were REALLY damn good football games.... But also because we won. :DWithout question JSU is our best rivalry.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

uni88
June 14th, 2019, 06:36 PM
Right on the other side of the street from OsgoodHow far from the Great Wolf Lodge at 1800 N University?

Bisonoline
June 14th, 2019, 11:19 PM
Right on the other side of the street from Osgood

Thump I didnt know you lived in Fargo.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 15th, 2019, 07:07 AM
I'd say as of now SDSU is ahead of UND but give it a couple of years, esp now that they are coming into the Valley, and UND will move way ahead of SDSU.

Thumper 76
June 15th, 2019, 10:31 AM
Thump I didnt know you lived in Fargo.

Yessir. Says it in my profile even I believe.

Thumper 76
June 15th, 2019, 10:36 AM
I'd say as of now SDSU is ahead of UND but give it a couple of years, esp now that they are coming into the Valley, and UND will move way ahead of SDSU.

Will they though? From a football perspective if UND gets walloped almost every time then I kinda doubt it. Lot of people thought that would happen for USeD and it really hasn’t on the football side. Basketball is more intense because their women’s team is good.

Thumper 76
June 15th, 2019, 10:41 AM
How far from the Great Wolf Lodge at 1800 N University?

Opposite end of town. I work up in the area though.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 15th, 2019, 12:23 PM
Will they though? From a football perspective if UND gets walloped almost every time then I kinda doubt it. Lot of people thought that would happen for USeD and it really hasn’t on the football side. Basketball is more intense because their women’s team is good.

UND will surpass SDSU in no time in regards to being more of a rival for NDSU. There has been hate for decades. SDSU is very recent and a good rivalry but nothing compared to what the NDSU/UND rivalry was or will become again. Competition side doesn't matter, UND hate is always there.

Even when the Jacks beat the Bison, I still will cheer them on when they play someone else....NO WAY ever would I say that for UND.

Lorne_Malvo
June 15th, 2019, 03:10 PM
By definition SDSU is more of a rival than UND for NDSU.

WeAreThePride
June 15th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Nothing would make me happier than for UND to go 10-0, then get beat by 5 TDs by us in the final game of the season. Then they get put in the playoffs, in our bracket, and we crush them by 7 TDs in the quarterfinals.

Ivytalk
June 17th, 2019, 05:21 PM
I’ve seen several routs both ways in Harvard-Yale games over the years, but more of the competitive, close variety. That’s what makes rivalry games great!

TheKingpin28
June 17th, 2019, 09:50 PM
Can we just fast forward to the part where GFCC comes to the Dome and NDSU slowly raises the banner and "subtly" reminds GFCC how many National Titles NDSU has won in the D1 era?

IBleedYellow
June 18th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Can we just fast forward to the part where GFCC comes to the Dome and NDSU slowly raises the banner and "subtly" reminds GFCC how many National Titles NDSU has won in the D1 era?

I remember when NDSU was told they would fail by going to D1.

TheKingpin28
June 18th, 2019, 03:02 PM
I remember when NDSU was told they would fail by going to D1.

Outside women's basketball and volleyball (and I believe men's baseball has been .500 consistently), NDSU has been near the top in a lot of sports. Football, softball, track and field, men's basketball, wrestling, cross country, etc...