PDA

View Full Version : Why your team will win the SLC this year

Catatonic
June 1st, 2019, 11:19 AM
7 teams could easily have won the SLC last year. The race should be just as tight this year. Tell us why your team will emerge at the top of the heap. (I’ll leave it to someone from McNeese to start a why Everyone will beat us this year thread). No sandbagging allowed here. Just straight up, what are your team’s strengths.

katss07
June 1st, 2019, 12:15 PM
I think Sam has a legit shot to make some noise this year. The Kats have experience on offense, which is something we didn’t have last Fall. Ty Brock should continue to progress and the O-Line, which was mostly injured last year, should be better. I think we can expect a more consistent offense this year.

Sam’s defense could be the best it’s ever been under KCK. The rush defense is still a question though, and Roberson’s graduation could be a problem.

We also get most of our big games at home. Nicholls, UIW and Lamar all come to Huntsville!

Catatonic
June 1st, 2019, 12:59 PM
I think Sam has a legit shot to make some noise this year. The Kats have experience on offense, which is something we didn’t have last Fall. Ty Brock should continue to progress and the O-Line, which was mostly injured last year, should be better. I think we can expect a more consistent offense this year.

Sam’s defense could be the best it’s ever been under KCK. The rush defense is still a question though, and Roberson’s graduation could be a problem.

We also get most of our big games at home. Nicholls, UIW and Lamar all come to Huntsville!

Excellent. You state Sam’s case well. Sam and many other teams have a legitimate case to be made.

Wildcat1997
June 1st, 2019, 01:50 PM
Reasons for why ACU will:

Our offense should be the best it's ever been at the D1 level. Anthony having more experience and getting McCrary back to full health will be really good. Adding Harmon, Russolillo and also whoever the mystery P5 WR is will be also help a ton.

Our defense should be very solid again. We are bringing in a new DC but he did have solid defenses in a very tough conference so I'm not too worried. I would put our LB corps up against anyone in the conference and Jeremiah Chambers has DPOY type of ability. Also adding in a D2 all conference player in Ihegworo to help rotate on the dline will really help.

Our schedule isn't too favorable as we have to go to UIW, Lamar, Nicholls and UCA but do get Sam, SELA and McNeese at home.

Catatonic
June 1st, 2019, 01:57 PM
Reasons for why ACU will:

Our offense should be the best it's ever been at the D1 level. Anthony having more experience and getting McCrary back to full health will be really good. Adding Harmon, Russolillo and also whoever the mystery P5 WR is will be also help a ton.

Our defense should be very solid again. We are bringing in a new DC but he did have solid defenses in a very tough conference so I'm not too worried. I would put our LB corps up against anyone in the conference and Jeremiah Chambers has DPOY type of ability. Also adding in a D2 all conference player in Ihegworo to help rotate on the dline will really help.

Our schedule isn't too favorable as we have to go to UIW, Lamar, Nicholls and UCA but do get Sam, SELA and McNeese at home.

For the first time in the D1 era the Wildcats have no obvious weaknesses at any position group. I like our chances of improving on our six win 2018 season.

JSUSoutherner
June 1st, 2019, 02:42 PM

I mean, considering the defenses Keeler has had in the past, being the best isn't saying much.

PJ Hall was a godsend for you guys.

What's he up to nowadays anyways?

katss07
June 1st, 2019, 04:28 PM
I mean, considering the defenses Keeler has had in the past, being the best isn't saying much.

PJ Hall was a godsend for you guys.

What's he up to nowadays anyways?
PJ is with the Raiders, he was injured most of last year though. He was playing quite a bit before he got hurt.

Our 2014 defense was pretty good. That was PJ’s freshman year I think.

JSUSoutherner
June 1st, 2019, 07:33 PM
PJ is with the Raiders, he was injured most of last year though. He was playing quite a bit before he got hurt.

Our 2014 defense was pretty good. That was PJ’s freshman year I think.

He's a good player. Hopefully he can keep away from the injury bug. I'll keep an eye out for him if I see a Raiders game next season.

Catatonic
June 1st, 2019, 08:06 PM
Anyone else want to tell us why this is your year to be king of the SLC hill? SFA? SLA? McNeese? UIW?

C’mon Bear, I know you have thoughts about UCA.

BEAR
June 1st, 2019, 08:29 PM
UCA

Last year the Bears lost their starting 2 QBs in the fourth game of the season. This gave the two backups a chance to get real game experience without all the pressure of having to win the conference. We lost to Sam by 3 and McNeese by 2. Without those injuries we might have gone 8-3 overall.

This is year we have our starting QBs back and backups with confidence due to their game experience last year.
We have 16 starters returning on the lines and only 16 seniors on the team. The good news is we have 27 juniors and that means they have game experience and know the systems set up by their coaches.

Schedule- the Bears face McNeese, Sam, ACU, SLU, and SFA at home later in the year.

Issues- UCA is playing 2 FBS teams this year on the road western Kentucky and Hawaii. Only ONE home game until October 12. The Bears will be road weary. That might be enough to wear them down for the later SLC games. UCA also plays IUW, Lamar, and Nicholls on the road.

So am I excited about the talent on the team? Yep.

Do I think the Bears will win the conference? With all the road games against the FBS schools and road games against the conference leaders from last year...I'm not sure. But if we do, it will be an accomplishment.

PAllen
June 1st, 2019, 10:04 PM
Because we can't win the Patriot, so we might as well try something easier.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

JSUSoutherner
June 1st, 2019, 10:18 PM

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Ouch.

Catatonic
June 2nd, 2019, 05:11 AM
UCA

Last year the Bears lost their starting 2 QBs in the fourth game of the season. This gave the two backups a chance to get real game experience without all the pressure of having to win the conference. We lost to Sam by 3 and McNeese by 2. Without those injuries we might have gone 8-3 overall.

This is year we have our starting QBs back and backups with confidence due to their game experience last year.
We have 16 starters returning on the lines and only 16 seniors on the team. The good news is we have 27 juniors and that means they have game experience and know the systems set up by their coaches.

Schedule- the Bears face McNeese, Sam, ACU, SLU, and SFA at home later in the year.

Issues- UCA is playing 2 FBS teams this year on the road western Kentucky and Hawaii. Only ONE home game until October 12. The Bears will be road weary. That might be enough to wear them down for the later SLC games. UCA also plays IUW, Lamar, and Nicholls on the road.

So am I excited about the talent on the team? Yep.

Do I think the Bears will win the conference? With all the road games against the FBS schools and road games against the conference leaders from last year...I'm not sure. But if we do, it will be an accomplishment.

This is what I know— UCA’s front 7 was the best we faced last year. I’m not sure how many of those guys return.

BEAR
June 3rd, 2019, 08:10 AM
This is what I know— UCA’s front 7 was the best we faced last year. I’m not sure how many of those guys return.

Front 7 on Offense- Last year we had 9 players on the Oline that were either freshman or RdsFreshman. This year we have 7 more.
Front 7 on Defense- Last year we had 3 DL guys as seniors or R-SRs. This year we only have 1 senior but a bunch of juniors and fresman. Nice spread. But I like the head hunters we have at LB and OLB.

From what I saw in the Spring practice, the pass defense should be solid also. But granted NONE of the freshman were there yet. I like the recruiting Brown has done. He went after aggressive players. Kinda like the ones we saw against McNeese in 2016. Very disruptive on the dline and the secondary is able to watch that and predict the QBs next move because the plays were broken.

Of course I could also be bias....xlolx

Sammy94
June 4th, 2019, 11:48 AM

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Easier? The OVC is that and closer geographically.

JSUSoutherner
June 4th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Easier? The OVC is that and closer geographically.

But we're better than you.

Sammy94
June 5th, 2019, 08:42 AM
But we're better than you.

In your own world.

Sammy94
June 5th, 2019, 08:57 AM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30644&stc=1

Outsider1
June 5th, 2019, 09:11 AM

Transfer?

- - - Updated - - -

Transfer?

McNeese72
June 5th, 2019, 09:23 AM
If you guys are wondering where the McNeese guys are in this thread, it is because we have no answers to the question that is in the header for this thread. ;)

Doc

Catatonic
June 5th, 2019, 09:29 AM
If you guys are wondering where the McNeese guys are in this thread, it is because we have no answers to the question that is in the header for this thread. ;)

Doc

my impassion of McNeese is that in year’s past y’all had a lot of good information and sandbagged us, knowing you were good. This year it really seems fans are clueless owing to the secrecy surrounding the program under a new coach and schemes. xdrunkyx

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2019, 10:02 AM
In your own world.And this world. But you know... Semantics. :D

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190605/e5ed02b1e64ed5e71412bf437ab3b6bc.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
June 5th, 2019, 10:09 AM
Because the SLC champ will get sent to Fargo to play in the quarterfinals and will lose to us.

;)

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2019, 10:27 AM
Because the SLC champ will get sent to somewhere to play in the quarterfinals and will lose to literally everyone in spectacular fashion.

;)

FYP

Daytripper
June 5th, 2019, 11:31 AM
Transfer?

- - - Updated - - -

Transfer?

Yes. Toneil Carter. http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=211789647

Daytripper
June 5th, 2019, 11:32 AM
FYP

Love it how insecure trolls crash a conference specific thread....

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Love it how insecure trolls crash a conference specific thread....

It's the off-season and I'm bored. Insecurity has nothing to do with it.

IBleedYellow
June 5th, 2019, 01:06 PM

Yeah same. Insecure? Nah.

Joking is fun sometimes. Lighten up. If I'm a betting man in the SLC my money won't leave SHSU until someone else proves they can consistently top them.

McNeese72
June 5th, 2019, 02:57 PM
my impassion of McNeese is that in year’s past y’all had a lot of good information and sandbagged us, knowing you were good. This year it really seems fans are clueless owing to the secrecy surrounding the program under a new coach and schemes. xdrunkyx

Another reason is that in the recent past when we had head coaching changes, we still had some continuity due to assistant coaches being retained. This is a complete reboot of the whole coaching staff (except for one or two coaches). We really don't know how that is going to go. Last time we had a reboot to the whole staff was back in the early 90's when Bobby Keasler was hired after the Sonny Jackson fiasco. That ended up working out well. We are just going to have to wait and see with this new staff.

Doc

katss07
June 5th, 2019, 03:46 PM
And this world. But you know... Semantics. :D

I could pull up the playoff score from a year earlier...xrolleyesx

Outsider1
June 5th, 2019, 04:06 PM

You still crack me up...

Outsider1
June 5th, 2019, 04:09 PM
Honestly, this SLC season is a crap-shoot...in a good way.

SFA 93
June 5th, 2019, 04:39 PM
Out of this group yes.

Nicholls
Sam Houston State
Central Arkansas
Lamar
McNeese State
UIW
SLU

Outsider1
June 5th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Out of this group yes.

Nicholls
Sam Houston State
Central Arkansas
Lamar
McNeese State
UIW
SLU

We should have a better team this year and we beat 3 of the above teams last year.

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2019, 08:07 PM
You still crack me up...

I'll be here all week.

McCowboys
June 5th, 2019, 08:32 PM
Out of this group yes.

Nicholls
Sam Houston State
Central Arkansas
Lamar
McNeese State
UIW
SLU

The Demons should continue to improve and may surprise some people. I was feeling a bit sorry for them, but then they beat my Cowboys last year, and so they are back at the top of my Hate Those Demons! list. Revenge will be sweet in Lake Charles this year as I hope we start another 13 year win streak against them.

As for McNeese, not just in football, but in all sports, finding out anything is more difficult than figuring out Russia: a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma (Winston Churchill).

Happy D-Day!

Sammy94
June 6th, 2019, 05:53 PM
And this world. But you know... Semantics. :D

oh I got it, one of your few playoff wins was against the SLC years ago. I see how that plays into it. Who cares if everyone else ranks the SLC higher? I’ll stand by my your own world comment.

JSUSoutherner
June 6th, 2019, 09:51 PM
oh I got it, one of your few playoff wins was against the SLC years ago. I see how that plays into it. Who cares if everyone else ranks the SLC higher? I’ll stand by my your own world comment.

Quick question: who had more wins in the playoffs last year? The SLC or the OVC?

Thought so.

JSUSoutherner
June 6th, 2019, 09:51 PM

Quick question: who had more wins in the playoffs last year? The SLC or the OVC?

Thought so.