PDA

View Full Version : Will Hairston Crack the Draft?

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2007, 07:42 AM
Seems the interest is rising in the CCSU RB. The agent of Hairston thinks he could go as high as fifth round. I'm hopeful he'll crack the draft. The Patriots may be the team most interested -- after all, they have a Central alum among those calling the shots...

--------------------
Seeking Justise In NFL
Interest Increases In Central Back
April 22, 2007
By TOM YANTZ, Courant Staff Writer

Last season, Justise Hairston was the first Central Connecticut player to be voted Division I-AA first-team All-America, lead the nation in rushing and be selected to the Hula Bowl.

He would like to add one more highlight: first Blue Devil selected in an NFL draft.

"I understand the process, the ins and outs of the situation," Hairston said. "I realize that the caliber of competition that Central plays makes it an uphill battle. People might be unsure, but I know my ability. I know I can compete."

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-hairston0422.artapr22,0,7663390.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports-college

Seawolf97
April 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
He was terror last year -hope he makes it!

stonywolf
April 22nd, 2007, 09:54 PM
yeah... that dude was dumb crazy... and he made it look so easy!!!

appfan2008
April 22nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
i hope he does cuz i love seeing any fcs player drafted... but honestly i dont know much about him!

danefan
April 23rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
That makes two NEC players with a legitimate chance at being drafted in the same year. Hairston and Rashad Barksdale from Albany. Should be interesting.

alumNEC
April 23rd, 2007, 08:47 PM
Yes the NEC keeps gaining recognition... this draft will be very exciting, I'm almost more interested in the 2nd day of the draft

Mr. C
April 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
Frankly, after what I saw of him on tape, I would pick several FCS runners ahead of Hairston. How about Alonzo Coleman, or Steve Baylark, each of whom had four 1,000-yard seasons? I'd also take Clifton Dawson, a much more versatitle player, than Hairston. And then there is Arkee Whitlock, who despite his size was the best runner I saw all season.

smallcollegefbfan
April 24th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Frankly, after what I saw of him on tape, I would pick several FCS runners ahead of Hairston. How about Alonzo Coleman, or Steve Baylark, each of whom had four 1,000-yard seasons? I'd also take Clifton Dawson, a much more versatitle player, than Hairston. And then there is Arkee Whitlock, who despite his size was the best runner I saw all season.

I agree on Dawson and Coleman. I think Coleman will get drafted in the late rounds. Baylark ran a 4.7 or 4.8 40 at his pro day. I don't see him getting drafted, althought he is a great player.

Whitlock is very solid. He certainly had a great year.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I'd still take Baylark over Hairston in a heartbeat after having seen both play. I could care less what ANYBODY'S 40-yard time is. It seems like that is all it comes down to anymore with STUPID NFL scouts.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Dawson, BTW, could make a TON of money in the CFL as a Canadian player. I still think that's where he will end up.

aceinthehole
April 25th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Excerpt from the Courant article:

Linta said at the time of the workout his client had the highest vertical jump (39 inches) for a running back. Hairston also had top-five efforts in the broad jump (10 feet, 4 inches), the short shuttle (4.11 seconds) and the three-cone drill (6.91). His top two times in the 40-yard dash were 4.53 and 4.58 seconds.

He will make an NFL roster, if not through the draft then as a FA. He can play and don't let the NEC conference schedule give you any doubts. He fell on the depth chart at Rutgers due to a small injury, and it was unlikey he would have seen much time behind the otehr guys.

He done it at the I-A level his freshman year and at the I-AA level his senior year. His bowl game and pro day showings have matched him favorably to all FCS backs and even some FBS back.

Mr. C
April 25th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I'm not putting down Hairston, just saying there are better backs in FCS ahead of him, who should get a chance. Arkee Whitlock could run circles around Hairston, but will have to prove himself as a FA, if he even gets a chance, because of his small size. I don't give a rip about broad jumping, vertical leaps, cone drills, or 40 times. From what I saw on the football field, Whitlock, Dawson, Baylark and Coleman were better and better for a more consistent period of time.

TexasTerror
April 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Another article...

CSU star awaits woed from NFL
By: Chip Malafronte
04/28/2007
Journal Register News Service

NEW BRITAIN - Justise Hairston never doubted his ability as a football player. But when it came to assessing his chances in the NFL draft, Hairston was a realist.

Despite leading Division I-AA in rushing and earning All-America honors at Central Connecticut State last fall, Hairston knew the pitfalls for small conference players. Getting noticed and taken seriously by the NFL is always tougher for those not playing Division I-A football.

Hairston, a New Britain native, remains pragmatic about this weekend's draft even after his eye-opening numbers at his recent pro day workout put his name on the draft board for just about every NFL team.

Considered the state's best pro prospect, Hairston could be selected late in the seven-round draft, which begins Saturday (noon, ESPN) and runs through Sunday. If he's taken, he would be the first CCSU player ever drafted. If he's not drafted, Hairston is a lock to get into an NFL camp as a free agent.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18274989&BRD=1645&PAG=461&dept_id=17758&rfi=6

FlyYtown
April 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Watch for this one:
JOSH SWOGGER: Green Bay Packers

Players to watch out for:
Alvin Banks -JMU
Ryan Jewell - YSU
Deke Ison - YSU
---These 3 were high on many people's draft lists coming into the 2006 seasons and all performed well; I do think they can get in the late rounds. I do expect Swogger to be drafted.