PDA

View Full Version : My '07 SoCon Prediction in depth

Pages : 1 [2]

Kill'em
April 29th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Good, objective post, Gophoenix. I think folks forget that, with the exception of Western Carolina, the SoCon has improved. Hopefully, Western will put it together and we can rebound from "The Disaster that was 2006" and make the SoCon tough throughout.

Death Dealer
April 29th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Actually Armanti took a head on shot in the National Championship game at the goal line. Actually bounced on off into the endzone. When I saw the hit, I thought, he's through for the night.I remember that hit. He took some doozies last season, especially in the playoffs, but always just bounced right back up....that kid is made of rubber!

phillyAPP
April 30th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I remember that hit. He took some doozies last season, especially in the playoffs, but always just bounced right back up....that kid is made of rubber!

Sounds like "tig er" -made of rubber

gophoenix
May 2nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
This will affect predictions of us more. We'll be with a new starting QB for 2007. The depth chart has changed a bit. It is sounding like Donnie Kirby is the go-to guy right now.

boonedocks
May 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
This will affect predictions of us more. We'll be with a new starting QB for 2007. The depth chart has changed a bit. It is sounding like Donnie Kirby is the go-to guy right now.

What happened to Pope?

gophoenix
May 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Seems we have had a ton of guys do great including goiung on to very good careers and not taking their 5th year of eligibility. And then there is stuff like this, which, is just starting to feel like Elon is being sabotaged. For every step forward, there seems to be 10 steps backwards. But, better to address this and punish, than to let it go. This was one of Seagraves's recruits. Not that that makes a difference, but the kids Lembo is getting vs the ones Seagraves and Hamilton brought it, are much much different.

I think Lembo shows some good measure when not discussing future challenges to the QB position. Plus, if he's committed to ensuring Wes graduates, that continues to show that Lembo is focused on the student-athlete and not just the athlete. Which is a refreshing change considering previous coaches.

So, article from the Burlington Times-News 3 May 2007:

================================================== =================

Academic suspension ends Elon QB's career
By Adam Smith and Bob Sutton / Times-News
May 3, 2007 3:00 AM

ELON — Quarterback Wes Pope, who developed into the face of the Elon University football team and became a beloved figure among the campus community, has been suspended from school for the 2007 fall semester due to an academic honor code violation.

The sanctions will render him ineligible to compete for the Phoenix during the approaching season. And because the fourth-year junior took a medical redshirt year in 2003, this means his college playing career is finished.

Dan Anderson, director of university relations, said Wednesday that Pope plans to re-enroll at Elon for winter term and spring semester of 2008 to complete his double major degree requirements in exercise sport science and psychology.

Pope, who led the Southern Conference in passing last season, remains enrolled at Elon, Anderson said. The school’s spring semester classes end next week on Tuesday.

Anderson said Pope’s case passed through the judicial process connected with Elon’s honor code system. Elon’s student handbook guidelines prohibit lying, cheating, plagiarism, stealing, violating others’ property and facilitating others’ dishonesty.

“As a result of a decision I made recently, I violated the academic honor code of Elon University,” Pope said in a statement released by the school. “My decision has disappointed my family, friends, teammates, coaches and others at the university. For that, I apologize.

“I understand that academic integrity is paramount at Elon University and my decision compromised that integrity. As a result, I respect the university’s decision to suspend me for the fall of 2007.”

Pope has been recognized on numerous occasions for high academic achievement in college, including a spot on the athletics director’s honor roll for fall 2006 with at least a 3.0 grade point average.

On the field, he thrived during last season’s return to the quarterback position and produced school-record statistics while directing coach Pete Lembo’s new offensive scheme.

His name surfaced unsolicited with somewhat alarming regularity in interviews with other Elon players, especially when the conversation touched on such topics as leadership, proper work ethic or steadfastly coping with adversity.

Lembo called Pope a great person, a loyal teammate and an excellent student. The coach said Pope made a mistake and was honest about it.

“We have to remember that we’re dealing with 18- to 22-year-olds,” Lembo said Wednesday, “and even the best kids are not perfect.”

Pope arrived on Elon’s campus as one of this state’s more accomplished prep quarterbacks. He established a sparkling football résumé at Ragsdale High School.

He received only one starting quarterback assignment prior to last season, though, a situation that largely resulted from former Elon coach Paul Hamilton’s preference to use his son at the position.

Pope, citing his religious faith and willingness to do the right thing for the program, lined up at punter, safety, linebacker, fullback and tight end during that period. And so before 2006, his college football journey had been an odyssey of uncertainty.

“My integrity is important to me,” Pope said in the statement. “I have provided leadership at Elon University for the past four years — on and off the football field. I will learn from this unfortunate situation and use this adversity, along with the leadership skills I have developed, to improve my integrity for the future.”

Pope threw for an Elon single-season record 2,572 yards last season as the Phoenix compiled a 5-6 record, the school’s best mark since 2000.

He tossed a school single-season record 228 completions and his 16 touchdown passes marked the most for an Elon player since 1973.

Pope’s suspension and subsequent unavailability likely leaves next season’s quarterback race as a battle between Donny Kirby, who will be a redshirt freshman in the fall, and Eastern Randolph High School standout Scott Riddle, an incoming freshman.

Lembo said he didn’t consider it an appropriate juncture to talk about what lies in the future for Elon’s quarterback position.

“Obviously I will do so at the right time,” Lembo said. “But right now my focus is on Wes. I’m just concerned about helping him get through this challenging time.”

It registers as another academic casualty for the Elon football program. The Phoenix lost seven key players to substandard grades in 2005.

Saint3333
May 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Sorry to hear about that, not sure about Elon's backup, but that's got to be the one guy you didn't want to lose. He was in the top 3 QB's in the SoCon, and probably the best pocket passer of them all.

But I do applaud the coach for doing the right thing.

gophoenix
May 3rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Boy, we've had some real bad luck as a school and team in the realm of QBs.

QB History the past few years:
2007: We'll be playing Kirby (redshirt freshman) or Riddle (freshman)
2006: Pope (junior) - previous 2 seasons saw him at TE, FB and LB
2005: Kye Hamilton who was D-III caliber at best (soph) who left when his dad was fired as coach
2004: Kye Hamilton (freshman)
2003: Anthony Crews (freshman) - left the team when Kye was starter after the 2004 season
2002: CW Singletary who's previous 2 years played at RB, LB and QB (junior)
2001: Stevens (walk on Junior), Murdaugh (freshman), Singletary (Soph) where we saw a different QB on each drive

The last time we saw some real success in a season was 2000 where we were 7-4 and 1999 where we were 9-2. Both of those years we had Derrick Moore at QB who was an option QB, recruited for the position and played that position (maybe not starting) for all 4 seasons. Coincidence?

Man.... I am keeping my fingers crossed for some stability at the position soon.

And losing Nkang and Pope both, who were the real team leaders, is big. :(

youwouldno
May 3rd, 2007, 12:19 PM
Definite set back for the 2007 Phoenix. Pope wasn't great but he had a year of starting at QB under his belt.

On the bright side, finishing last is unlikely with WCU around...

BestOfBreed
May 3rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about Pope :(

PaladinFan
May 3rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
wow, that's a blow.

Kill'em
May 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
That is too bad. He was a pretty good QB.

GaSouthern
May 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
I think Elon had a peak season last year and came close to having more wins, I see them rebuilding again next year, hence the reason I picked them so low in the conference.

SoCon48
May 3rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
I think Elon had a peak season last year and came close to having more wins, I see them rebuilding again next year, hence the reason I picked them so low in the conference.

Now they're rebuilding even more than u thought.

dogfan1987
May 3rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
What a great week for GSU athletics: 4 players lost to breaking and entering, running from the police and carrying a pistol and then screw up on the APR again.

But there is not a word of it on the gsu message board, what gives?

Eaglesrus
May 4th, 2007, 07:53 AM
What a great week for GSU athletics: 4 players lost to breaking and entering, running from the police and carrying a pistol and then screw up on the APR again.

What gives is that all of that HAS been discussed in detail on the GSU message board so I don't know why I'm responding to this since you must not be able to read.

Kill'em
May 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Where the hell have you been? If you have read it you might have read that grades were up, significantly this year. The APR is based on a rolling three-year average. And yes, it has been a great week for Georgia Southern, Tracy Ham has been elected to the College Football Hall of Fame! Again, this was mentioned on this site and TSC.

bobbythekidd
May 4th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Where the hell have you been? If you have read it you might have read that grades were up, significantly this year. The APR is based on a rolling three-year average. And yes, it has been a great week for Georgia Southern, Tracy Ham has been elected to the College Football Hall of Fame! Again, this was mentioned on this site and TSC.
You have add this one kill'em.

PRESS RELEASE

March 3, 2004

At approximately 11:30 PM (03/02/2004), Bulloch County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to a reported Armed Robbery at the TimeSaver #115 convenience store located on US-25 approximately 15 miles north of Statesboro, Georgia.

Upon arrival at the scene, Sheriff’s Deputies were told by the store’s clerk that two B/M’s entered the store, produced a small handgun, and demanded the money. The victim gave the suspects the small amount of money in the cash drawer. The suspects demanded she open the safe. She told them she did not know the code to unlock it. The suspects left the store with the money and some cigarettes.

A K-9 tracking team from the Georgia State Prison at Reidsville responded to Sheriff’s Deputies request for assistance. Upon arriving at the scene, the dogs followed the tracks to an area a short distance away where it appeared the two suspects got into a vehicle and left the scene.

The clerk described the suspects as :

#1) B/M (late teens or early 20's)
HGT/ 5'08" WGT/160 LBS
HAIR/ DREDLOCKS
COMPLEXION/ DARK (clean shaven)
DRESS/ RED CAP AND RED JERSEY TYPE SHIRT
ARMED/ SMALL, DARK COLORED REVOLVER

#2) B/M (late teens or early 20's)
HGT/ 5'06" WGT/ 170 LBS
HAIR/ SHORT
COMPLEXION/ LIGHT (clean shaven)
DRESS/ BROWN SKULLY CAP AND BROWN SWEATER

No one was injured during the robbery.

The investigation into this crime is continuing.

dogfan1987
May 4th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Statesboro is a tuff town. Good thing Maynard had his GSU issue Glock 22.

"Has anyone else heard this rumor? Supposedly GSU senior wideout Marquice Maynard was arrested for trying to steal money from a Time Saver in Statesboro on Thursday night and he was kicked off the team today. Five arrests and four players kicked off the team in a week? The APR mess along with scholarship losses. Definitely don’t want to take anything away from the graduation ceremonies this week, but GOOD GRIEF. When it rains it pours I guess…*sighs*"

www.tsc.com or something like that

bobbythekidd
May 4th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Has anyone else heard this rumor?
Look up one post.:D

Tribe4SF
May 5th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I can't see Furman falling of much, well atleast not that much. (5th)

1.Appalacian State 10-1 (7-0) The rich get richer, they see the playoffs
2.Furman 8-3 (5-2) have another strong season and go back to the playoffs
3.Wofford 8-3 (4-3) will not get woffed after a hard SoCon schedule and make it to the playoffs
4.Georgia Southern 6-5 (4-3) double their wins but are still not Big3 yet
5.Citadel 5-6 (3-4) a few close losses and un-luck OOC
7.Western 4-7 (3-4) Has a nice rebound year
6.Elon 3-8 (1-6) are back down after having a strong year
8.Chatty 3-8 (1-6) have some heartbreaking losses and a few thrashings

If Wofford goes 4-3 in conference, they'll need to beat NC State to make the playoffs. With Georgetown, KY on the schedule, they'd need the NC State win to be eligible. Another example of setting yourself up with a Div. II opponent.

PaladinFan
May 5th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Statesboro is a tuff town. Good thing Maynard had his GSU issue Glock 22.

"Has anyone else heard this rumor? Supposedly GSU senior wideout Marquice Maynard was arrested for trying to steal money from a Time Saver in Statesboro on Thursday night and he was kicked off the team today. Five arrests and four players kicked off the team in a week? The APR mess along with scholarship losses. Definitely don’t want to take anything away from the graduation ceremonies this week, but GOOD GRIEF. When it rains it pours I guess…*sighs*"

www.tsc.com or something like that

Sounds like it's time to move to FBS....xrolleyesx

james_lawfirm
May 5th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Sounds like it's time to move to FBS....xrolleyesx

That's not nice!

eaglesrthe1
May 5th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I really wish I could say that I thought first place was up for grabs and of course it always is even if it really isn'txeyebrowx xbawlingx

The diff between 1st and 2nd is usually a single game, if that. Everything is up for grabs.

PaladinFan
May 5th, 2007, 02:04 PM
The diff between 1st and 2nd is usually a single game, if that. Everything is up for grabs.

...and that game is usually Furman v. ASU.

Saint3333
May 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Wow have people really already forgotten about GSU?xconfusedx

GSU has won or shared the SoCon crown 7 out of the last 10 years. Furman has shared it only twice during that span. Furman hasn't won an outright SoCon title since 1990.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/champions.php

I'd say GSU has had a say in it.

However with that said the winner of the ASU @ Furman game will likely win the SoCon.

blueballs
May 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Wow have people really already forgotten about GSU?xconfusedx

GSU has won or shared the SoCon crown 7 out of the last 10 years. Furman has shared it only twice during that span. Furman hasn't won an outright SoCon title since 1990.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/champions.php

I'd say GSU has had a say in it.

However with that said the winner of the ASU @ Furman game will likely win the SoCon.

All true... however, I wouldn't discount Wofford. I think they're going to be a tough team this upcoming year. There isn't a gnats hair worth of difference between them and FU.

PaladinFan
May 5th, 2007, 03:38 PM
All true... however, I wouldn't discount Wofford. I think they're going to be a tough team this upcoming year. There isn't a gnats hair worth of difference between them and FU.

Except that Furman has hammered them in head to head matchups.

GoldandBlack
May 6th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Except that Furman has hammered them in head to head matchups.

Hard to argue with history, of course, and frankly, we'd much rather Furman fans consider Wofford to be an automatic win at home- it makes for easy motivation.xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
May 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Hard to argue with history, of course, and frankly, we'd much rather Furman fans consider Wofford to be an automatic win at home- it makes for easy motivation.xthumbsupx

No one ever called it an automatic win. However, it is a much bigger game for Wofford fans than Furman fans. That said, they games are typically closer than the past few years have been, though Wofford has had a heckuva time keeping Furman off the scoreboard in recent memory.

The games are usually Wofford in a low scoring affair or Furman in a shootout.

thirdgendin
May 6th, 2007, 09:24 PM
If nothing else, at least the SoCon schedule is in Furman's favor this year with both Wofford and Appalachian traveling to Greenville.

Eyes of Old Main
May 8th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Schedule and history are definitely in Furman's favor this year, so there's no way I'd pick Wofford above them until an on the field result dictates otherwise.

I'll agree with GoldandBlack, though. I like it when we get overlooked. That being said, maybe this will be the year Wofford figures out the Paladins.

gvilleapp
May 8th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Since our schedule is finally complete, I'll take a run at predicting the conference.

1. ASU, 10-1, 7-0. Tough games against Wofford, Furman, and Citadel but I think we pull them out in close contests. Something that will help prepare us for the playoffs.
2. Wofford, 8-3, 5-2. Almost a sure loss to NCSU and a probable loss to ASU. I think Wofford goes 1-1 against Citadel and Furman and sweeps the rest of the conference.
3. Citadel, 8-3, 5-2. Ditto for Citadel, except exchange Wisconsin for NCSU. I think the Bulldogs have the players and coaching staff in place for a breakout year.
4. Furman, 7-4, 4-3. Furman likely goes 3-1 OOC lossing to Clemson. Inside the conference, the ASU game will be close, but I see ASU's speed being the difference in a very tight ball game. I'm thinking 1-1 against Wofford and Citadel with the loss probably coming against Citadel in Charleston. FU seems to always find a way against Wofford. I'm thinking that GSU may upset FU on Nov. 10 if the offense is dialed in by then in Statesboro.
5. GSU 6-5, 4-3. Very easy to see the Eagles start out 6-0, but I'm thinking they may drop the SD State game. Over the last 5 weeks, I think the only bright spot will be a upset of Furman on Nov. 10.
6. Chattanooga 3-8, 2-5. I know Coach Allison will turn this around eventually but I don't see it happening this year. I think the Mocs win their opener over a great D2 program Carson-Newman and then have to wait for victory #2 until WCU on Oct 13. I think with Elon's problems a victory over them is probable too.
7. Western 2-9, 1-7. What a killer OOC schedule with Alabama, @ EKU, and Georgia. I see a victory over Presbyterian on Sept 22nd, but I expect Bobby Bentley with have the Blue Hose ready and I expect Western will be in a dog fight. BB is a master at running and installing the spread. I see a victory over Elon for the only conference win.
8. Elon 3-8, 0-7. I think Elon has got to much turmoil going on up there to expect a great year. QB position will be hard to fill at this late date. I can only see one realistic chance for a conference win against Western on Oct 6.

GoldandBlack
May 8th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Since our schedule is finally complete, I'll take a run at predicting the conference.

1. ASU, 10-1, 7-0. Tough games against Wofford, Furman, and Citadel but I think we pull them out in close contests. Something that will help prepare us for the playoffs.
2. Wofford, 8-3, 5-2. Almost a sure loss to NCSU and a probable loss to ASU. I think Wofford goes 1-1 against Citadel and Furman and sweeps the rest of the conference.
3. Citadel, 8-3, 5-2. Ditto for Citadel, except exchange Wisconsin for NCSU. I think the Bulldogs have the players and coaching staff in place for a breakout year.
4. Furman, 7-4, 4-3. Furman likely goes 3-1 OOC lossing to Clemson. Inside the conference, the ASU game will be close, but I see ASU's speed being the difference in a very tight ball game. I'm thinking 1-1 against Wofford and Citadel with the loss probably coming against Citadel in Charleston. FU seems to always find a way against Wofford. I'm thinking that GSU may upset FU on Nov. 10 if the offense is dialed in by then in Statesboro.
5. GSU 6-5, 4-3. Very easy to see the Eagles start out 6-0, but I'm thinking they may drop the SD State game. Over the last 5 weeks, I think the only bright spot will be a upset of Furman on Nov. 10.
6. Chattanooga 3-8, 2-5. I know Coach Allison will turn this around eventually but I don't see it happening this year. I think the Mocs win their opener over a great D2 program Carson-Newman and then have to wait for victory #2 until WCU on Oct 13. I think with Elon's problems a victory over them is probable too.
7. Western 2-9, 1-7. What a killer OOC schedule with Alabama, @ EKU, and Georgia. I see a victory over Presbyterian on Sept 22nd, but I expect Bobby Bentley with have the Blue Hose ready and I expect Western will be in a dog fight. BB is a master at running and installing the spread. I see a victory over Elon for the only conference win.
8. Elon 3-8, 0-7. I think Elon has got to much turmoil going on up there to expect a great year. QB position will be hard to fill at this late date. I can only see one realistic chance for a conference win against Western on Oct 6.

Let the Purple howling begin..................xrolleyesx

fuEMO
May 8th, 2007, 10:11 PM
No purple howl from me… guess this means not much should be expected for the Paladins in 07.:D

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Eh, no need to howl. If our program isn't getting deserved respect by now, it probably never will.

If Furman goes 7-4 after returning 16 starters off a playoff team, then I'll eat my hat.

FUwolfpacker
May 8th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Eh, no need to howl. If our program isn't getting deserved respect by now, it probably never will.

If Furman goes 7-4 after returning 16 starters off a playoff team, then I'll eat my hat.

He'll do it. PaladinFan is weird:p

Mr. C
May 8th, 2007, 10:45 PM

Harkening to the delicacies thread, will you eat it with South Carolina mustard sauce, Lexington vinegar sauce, Kansas City or Texas barbecue sauce?

youwouldno
May 8th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Why should fans be disturbed by the opinions of other fans? How many Citadel players can gvilleapp even name?

Just for reference, Furman under Lamb has won fewer than 8 games once in five years (6-5). The last year Citadel won more than 6 games was 1992. The Paladins have made the playoffs more times under Lamb in 5 years than Citadel has since their entry into the FCS level, which is over 20 years.

And this is more of a curiosity-- in their tenure as FCS head coaches, Jerry Moore and Bobby Lamb have 69.4% winning percentages. Obviously Moore has been at it much longer. It shouldn't be surprising his extensive experience advantage has benefited App St of late.

Mr. C
May 9th, 2007, 01:01 AM
You love your history, but things do change over time. Kevin Higgins was the guy that turned Lehigh into one of the top programs in I-AA/FCS and he is in his third season at The Citadel now. I guarantee you that most of the coaches around the SoCon and FCS have a tremendous amount of respect for Higgins and view him as one of the top coaches in FCS. No one would challenge you on the fact that Furman is one of the top programs in FCS, but you just might have to make some room for The Citadel in the midst of the Big Three, the Big Four, or whatever it is in the SoCon this season.

One other thing: Two current SoCon coaches have earned national coach of the year honors from the College Sporting News in the past five years? Can you name them?

Jerry Moore of ASU and Mike Ayers of Wofford. For all of Furman's success, the competition is getting better each year. And BTW, gvilleapp might not be able to name five Furman players, either. It doesn't mean his opinion is off base.

youwouldno
May 9th, 2007, 01:34 AM
You love your history, but things do change over time. Kevin Higgins was the guy that turned Lehigh into one of the top programs in I-AA/FCS and he is in his third season at The Citadel now. I guarantee you that most of the coaches around the SoCon and FCS have a tremendous amount of respect for Higgins and view him as one of the top coaches in FCS. No one would challenge you on the fact that Furman is one of the top programs in FCS, but you just might have to make some room for The Citadel in the midst of the Big Three, the Big Four, or whatever it is in the SoCon this season.

One other thing: Two current SoCon coaches have earned national coach of the year honors from the College Sporting News in the past five years? Can you name them?

Jerry Moore of ASU and Mike Ayers of Wofford. For all of Furman's success, the competition is getting better each year. And BTW, gvilleapp might not be able to name five Furman players, either. It doesn't mean his opinion is off base.

I have a very high opinion of both Higgins and especially Ayers. I know a lot of Furman fans talk about his lack of success vs. the Paladins, but I don't judge a coach in such narrow terms.

It's not that I just love history, though I do, but that history tells us many things that are informative in the here and now. The Citadel's struggles indicate the existence of structural impediments to success, which in this case are easily identifiable (not everyone wants or can handle The Citadel experience). Higgins is good enough to win there, but it's still relatively early in his tenure and I think the attention paid Lawson obscures a number of weaknesses. I'm not writing Citadel off by any means.

I do believe Lamb is underrated, which, as you should be aware, is not a very common sentiment among Furman fans. Quite to the contrary. They may argue the Paladins are underrated headed in 2007 but there are always complaints about Lamb-- even people who think he should be canned. One thing you learn by looking at collegiate sports history is that good coaches win... they win quickly after taking a job and keep winning.

So far as knowledge of players... yes it does matter. I mean, anyone can give an opinion. But how much weight such an opinion holds depends on the level of knowledge behind it. An uneducated opinion is, by definition, off-base to some degree.

BALD EAGLE
May 9th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Until last year I was an “eternal optimist” who expected Ga. Southern to win every game. Then last year happen, and I became an “eternal pessimist” who expected the Eagles to lose every game. That is just one of the ways I would describe the effect VanGorder had on the Ga. Southern Football Program.

With VanGorder gone I am no longer an “eternal pessimist”, and if Coach Hatcher is as good a coach as I think he is I will be an “eternal optimist” again soon.

With that said, I think GSU will go 9 and 2. I believe the Eagles will beat Furman because they are playing them at home and will lose to ASU because they are playing them on the road.

As the defending National Champion and with the players they have returning I think Appalachian has to be considered the favorite to win not only the SoCon Championship but the National Championship as well.

I think Furman will have yet another outstanding team who may surprise some people and win not only the SoCon Championship but also the National Championship.

In my opinion The Citadel will be the surprise team in the SoCon. They seem to have a very good coach who I believe will put it all together for them this year, and I think they will challenge for a playoff spot.

Wofford will be good as always especially against Ga. Southern.

Other than the Eagles, the team I am really pulling for is Western Carolina. I saw them play in a I-AA National Championship Game in the ‘80s, and if the tragedy that happened to Coach Waters had not occurred Western Carolina probably would have played in more National Championship Games.

WCU LawCat
May 9th, 2007, 05:59 AM
God Bless You Sir...

james_lawfirm
May 9th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Until last year I was an “eternal optimist” who expected Ga. Southern to win every game. Then last year happen, and I became an “eternal pessimist” who expected the Eagles to lose every game. That is just one of the ways I would describe the effect VanGorder had on the Ga. Southern Football Program.

With VanGorder gone I am no longer an “eternal pessimist”, and if Coach Hatcher is as good a coach as I think he is I will be an “eternal optimist” again soon.

With that said, I think GSU will go 9 and 2. I believe the Eagles will beat Furman because they are playing them at home and will lose to ASU because they are playing them on the road.

As the defending National Champion I think Appalachian has to be considered the favorite to win not only the SoCon Championship but the National Championship as well.

I think Furman will have yet another outstanding team who may surprise some people and win not only the SoCon Championship but the National Championship as well.

In my opinion The Citadel will be the surprise team in the SoCon. They seem to have a very good coach who I believe will put it all together this year and will challenge for a playoff spot.

Wofford will be good as always especially against Ga. Southern.

Other than the Eagles, the team I am really pulling for is Western Carolina. I saw them play in a I-AA National Championship Game in the ‘80s, and if the tragedy that happen to Coach Waters had not occurred Western Carolina probably would have played in more National Championship Games.

Words of wisdom and experience. I could not agree more, except I think it will be ASU at the top of the SoCon, not Furman. The game of the year may be the ASU/Furman game in Spartanburg. If Furman wins, and if, as you predict, GaSo beats Furman, that puts ASU & Furman tied for first, assuming both win out. But, I think ASU may just come out on top at Furman. We'll see.

I also agree about W.Car. Proves my point that the Head Coach is more important than many posters think. Sometimes, all we focus on is the players, but there is so much more to a college football team. When Coach Waters was ill, (Parkinsons?) their whole program suffered. I remember a game in Boone where he was there in a wheelchair on the sidelines. But, he must have let the asst. coaches run the game, because I don't think he was able to. As bad as that situation was, W.Car.'s program still has not fully recovered here about 20 years later. From his illness on, ASU won the next 20 games in a row (maybe it was 19), except for the shelacking we took in 1998 in Cullowhee.

And, I think you are a tad too optimistic about GaSo's season this year.

catamount man
May 9th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Hey brother! Check out the GET TOGETHER page over at the Lounge. Bailey's Grille in Greenville on July 21st. Call me sometime this week.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

catamount man
May 9th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Words of wisdom and experience. I could not agree more, except I think it will be ASU at the top of the SoCon, not Furman. The game of the year may be the ASU/Furman game in Spartanburg. If Furman wins, and if, as you predict, GaSo beats Furman, that puts ASU & Furman tied for first, assuming both win out. But, I think ASU may just come out on top at Furman. We'll see.

I also agree about W.Car. Proves my point that the Head Coach is more important than many posters think. Sometimes, all we focus on is the players, but there is so much more to a college football team. When Coach Waters was ill, (Parkinsons?) their whole program suffered. I remember a game in Boone where he was there in a wheelchair on the sidelines. But, he must have let the asst. coaches run the game, because I don't think he was able to. As bad as that situation was, W.Car.'s program still has not fully recovered here about 20 years later. From his illness on, ASU won the next 20 games in a row (maybe it was 19), except for the shelacking we took in 1998 in Cullowhee.

It was ALS that Coach Waters had and you're right, by 1988 when he was wheel chair stricken, the assistant coaches were essentially running the show, although coach still wore the headphones and could talk to them. By the following Spring, he was hooked up to a ventilator to help him breathe, but he still so badly wanted to coach. Unfortunately, our chancellor at the time, who shall remain nameless, thought otherwise and had our AD go out on the practice field after a spring practice and tell Coach Waters his tenure in Cullowhee was over.

Instead of promoting a coach on staff, Don Dalton would've been the obvious choice, the school looked outside Cullowhee and hired Dale Strahm who had been on Vince Dooley's UGA staff since 1981. Only 2 or 3 asst.coaches on Waters staff were retained. The rest left Cullowhee, along with a lot of supporters and boosters as well that have YET to return.

Dale Strahm lasted one freaking season!xnonono2x

Steve Hodgin, Bill Bleil, and now Kent Briggs have all tried to fix the problem since then and, unfortunately, the results haven't been that pretty. We'll keep trying though and smiling all the way. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!xbowx

Sir William
May 9th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Greenville, you mean.

Mr. C
May 9th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Greenville, you mean.
Didn't you here? Furman is moving its campus. The Paladins are combining forces with Wofford. All home games will now be at Gibbs Stadium.
:) xrotatehx xlolx xnodx :D xrolleyesx xcoolx :p ;) xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix :o xeekx

FUwolfpacker
May 9th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Didn't you here? Furman is moving its campus. The Paladins are combining forces with Wofford. All home games will now be at Gibbs Stadium.
:) xrotatehx xlolx xnodx :D xrolleyesx xcoolx :p ;) xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix :o xeekx

xeekx xbawlingx

Does that mean we're not allowed to have a band anymore?:p

james_lawfirm
May 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Greenville, you mean.

Wherever. Somewhere down there in S.C.

I will be at the game (if I can find it!)

PaladinFan
May 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Wherever. Somewhere down there in S.C.

I will be at the game (if I can find it!)

That's the second time someone has made that mistake on this thread. For future reference Furman has been located in Greenville since 1826. Although, I do hope things are going well for App. State up there in Hickory.

OL FU
May 9th, 2007, 12:03 PM
That's the second time someone has made that mistake on this thread. For future reference Furman has been located in Greenville since 1826. Although, I do hope things are going well for App. State up there in Hickory.

:o FU started in Edgefield:o Didn't stay there long thoughxthumbsupx

GoldandBlack
May 9th, 2007, 12:07 PM
:o FU started in Edgefield:o Didn't stay there long thoughxthumbsupx

Good move- otherwise, FU would've played second fiddle to the birthplace of Strom Thurmond in Edgefield. :p

james_lawfirm
May 9th, 2007, 01:15 PM

OK, OK. I am not worthy! I will never ever make a mistake again. xrolleyesx

I get ticked when folks get the Carolinas mixed up (No. vs. So.).

But, due to a local TV station, I rarely hear of Greenville, S.C. without it being referred to as Greenville/Spartanburg. No offense intended.

In any event, wherever in the heck Furman is, I cannot wait to watch some football down there. See you there. I'll be the guy in black & gold.

Sir William
May 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM
OK, OK. I am not worthy! I will never ever make a mistake again. xrolleyesx

I get ticked when folks get the Carolinas mixed up (No. vs. So.).

But, due to a local TV station, I rarely hear of Greenville, S.C. without it being referred to as Greenville/Spartanburg. No offense intended.

In any event, wherever in the heck Furman is, I cannot wait to watch some football down there. See you there. I'll be the guy in black & gold.

Kind of like "Raleigh/Durham"?

By the way, Greenville is the real city; Spartanburg, though nice, is mainly just a large "small town". And yes, Greenville SC is much bigger (and more refined) than Greenville NC. Unless, of course, you're talking about Greer. xsmiley_wix

Sir William
May 9th, 2007, 01:44 PM
xeekx xbawlingx

Do we actually have one now? I thought they were just a rather large concerto ensemble. xwhistlex

ButlerGSU
May 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Isn't Furman actually located in 'Travelers Rest'?

OL FU
May 9th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Isn't Furman actually located in 'Travelers Rest'?

Next you will be telling everybody we are in Marietta:p

catamount man
May 9th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Next you will be telling everybody we are in Marietta:p

Slater/Cleveland. HA!xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

g-webb1994
May 9th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Spartanburg, though nice, is mainly just a large "small town".

Yeah, but Spartanburg has The Beacon.xthumbsupx Although Rainbow Drive-In wasn't bad back in the day...I haven't been to the Rainbow since around 1986 or so, when my brothers graduated from FU.xnodx There also was a real good greasy spoon next to a motel up in Travelers Rest too, but I can't remember the name of it.

Paladin Stadium is a good place to see a game on a fall afternoon though, the mountain views are nice, and the Furman campus itself is scenic as well.

Mr. C
May 9th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Yeah, but Spartanburg has The Beacon.xthumbsupx Although Rainbow Drive-In wasn't bad back in the day...I haven't been to the Rainbow since around 1986 or so, when my brothers graduated from FU.xnodx There also was a real good greasy spoon next to a motel up in Travelers Rest too, but I can't remember the name of it.

Paladin Stadium is a good place to see a game on a fall afternoon though, the mountain views are nice, and the Furman campus itself is scenic as well.
One of the prettiest venues in all of college football to watch a game. A couple of my other favorites in FCS are Richardson Stadium at Davidson and Kidd Brewer Stadium at Applachian State. I've heard Columbia is another awesome place to watch an FCS game and I'm sure there are a lot of others.

Mr. C
May 9th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Well, you know how cities are always annexing other areas. I guess we got annexed by Hickory. Was it eminent domain?

Mr. C
May 9th, 2007, 04:30 PM
xeekx xbawlingx

That was probably the main reason the Terriers wanted to join forces with you. I remember in 2003, when North Carolina A&T brought its band for that playoff game.

gvilleapp
May 9th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Why should fans be disturbed by the opinions of other fans? How many Citadel players can gvilleapp even name?

Just for reference, Furman under Lamb has won fewer than 8 games once in five years (6-5). The last year Citadel won more than 6 games was 1992. The Paladins have made the playoffs more times under Lamb in 5 years than Citadel has since their entry into the FCS level, which is over 20 years.

And this is more of a curiosity-- in their tenure as FCS head coaches, Jerry Moore and Bobby Lamb have 69.4% winning percentages. Obviously Moore has been at it much longer. It shouldn't be surprising his extensive experience advantage has benefited App St of late.
Hope this doesn't sound defensive, but I saw The Citadel play three games last year. I probably have seen them play 10 games in the last three years. My son is a rising senior this coming year down there. I also was a assistant high school football coach until '04 and I coached against Chris McDowell, who I think is one of the 2 or 3 best offensive linemen in the SoCon. My son says he is a very good person too. I also have coached against several Furman players like Stone and Sorrells and from all I have heard they are great kids.

I intended no disrespect to Furman, I think they will have a very good team and could finish anywhere from 1-5 in the SoCon, but my best guess is that they will lose to ASU because of our superior speed and overall better athletes. I do think is Felton is healthy we could be in trouble if you guys get a lead on him. I think we will be bigger up front on the DL, but I just remember how he and your OL punished us back in '05. I think Furman will beat Wofford at home, until Wofford proves they can beat you guys, and then you will lose close games at The Citadel and at GSU if GSU pulls it all together by then. I'm thinking The Citadel losses to Wofford the week before your game with them and your game becomes an almost must win for them. I think you may be in trouble at GSU because they will have App, Wofford, and Citadel the three games before you and I think they lose all three of those games. Just like The Citadel, the game against Furman becomes a must win if they are to consider their season a success.

I think Mr. C was right when he stated that Furman has not fallen off in terms of overall talent or coaching, I just think Wofford and especially The Citadel have improved over the last couple years. The Citadel just needed stability at the top, and Coach Higgins has brought that to the program.

Can't wait for the season to start!!

LarryBoy
May 9th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I'm at my on-campus job right now, working in Daniel Chapel, and all I have to do is look to my right, through the window, and there sits Paladin Stadium, empty, waiting for September...and man, does it need to get here soon.

The Southern Conference's strength this year has some obvious advantages/disadvantages. The advantage, of course, is that I think we are in for one seriously exciting SoCon season. The number of matchups that should be good contests...ASU/Furman, Furman/Wofford, Wofford/GSU, Citadel/Furman, Citadel/Wofford, ASU/GSU, and that random game that Chatt. decides to show up for...it could shake out a number of ways...which brings me to the disadvantage.

There could be five playoff-ready teams (if you count Citadel...not sure I do yet, but possibly) in the conference. Will five make it? Of course not. Everyone is going to beat the fool out of each other, and other than one or two that pull out in front, everyone else will be stuck with middling records. I liked it more when it was a 2 or 3-horse race, honestly. It was a lot easier to deal with mentally.

App is still the class of the conference at this point, obviously (not that that matters much on May 9). Their speed, as has been mentioned, is incredibly valuable. They didn't have much trouble displaying that last year against FU. But I really can't see them going undefeated in the conference this year. There have been many great SoCon teams before, but going undefeated in conference play is a rarity...which makes what App did last year that much more special, but also difficult to repeat.

Wofford...what can I say...I am a Spartanburg native, yet I borderline-hate you guys. Maybe it's because the Spartanburg Herald Journal pretends Furman doesn't exist. Therefore, the only press we got was during our annual "kill Wofford's playoff chances" show. Still, I admire your team and Ayers a bunch, and you COULD do something big...I just think you'll fall just short.

youwouldno
May 9th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Hope this doesn't sound defensive, but I saw The Citadel play three games last year. I probably have seen them play 10 games in the last three years. My son is a rising senior this coming year down there. I also was a assistant high school football coach until '04 and I coached against Chris McDowell, who I think is one of the 2 or 3 best offensive linemen in the SoCon. My son says he is a very good person too. I also have coached against several Furman players like Stone and Sorrells and from all I have heard they are great kids.

I intended no disrespect to Furman, I think they will have a very good team and could finish anywhere from 1-5 in the SoCon, but my best guess is that they will lose to ASU because of our superior speed and overall better athletes. I do think is Felton is healthy we could be in trouble if you guys get a lead on him. I think we will be bigger up front on the DL, but I just remember how he and your OL punished us back in '05. I think Furman will beat Wofford at home, until Wofford proves they can beat you guys, and then you will lose close games at The Citadel and at GSU if GSU pulls it all together by then. I'm thinking The Citadel losses to Wofford the week before your game with them and your game becomes an almost must win for them. I think you may be in trouble at GSU because they will have App, Wofford, and Citadel the three games before you and I think they lose all three of those games. Just like The Citadel, the game against Furman becomes a must win if they are to consider their season a success.

I think Mr. C was right when he stated that Furman has not fallen off in terms of overall talent or coaching, I just think Wofford and especially The Citadel have improved over the last couple years. The Citadel just needed stability at the top, and Coach Higgins has brought that to the program.

Can't wait for the season to start!!

I came off harshly towards you, I apologize, there was no reason to call you out to make my general comments. It sounds like you are pretty knowledgeable with regard to The Citadel. My general view isn't how much anyone knows about one or two teams in particular; the hard part is knowing about all the teams in a conference... or in FCS generally. Even the coach polls are often turned upside down.

GoldandBlack
May 9th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Wofford...what can I say...I am a Spartanburg native, yet I borderline-hate you guys. Maybe it's because the Spartanburg Herald Journal pretends Furman doesn't exist. Therefore, the only press we got was during our annual "kill Wofford's playoff chances" show. Still, I admire your team and Ayers a bunch, and you COULD do something big...I just think you'll fall just short.

Well-written post- I didn't quote all of it to save room.

Just a comment- we're about even in coverage for the papers of our neighboring cities. There are very few times Wofford is mentioned in the Greenville News unless we play Furman, or lose to someone else.

However, I will say it appears to me that the Spartanburg Herald-Journal does cover Wofford much better than the Greenville News does Furman (features other than game stories, particularly). I never read the Greenville paper until I moved to Simpsonville, so I never noticed the difference before.

What's up with that? I know Greenville is larger, and has a Class A baseball team, but you'd think with Furman's success, there would be a little more emphasis on Furman.

Just an honest question- I have no idea what the answer is. xconfusedx

fuEMO
May 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Gold and Black… It has been years in my view since Furman has got a fair shake in the Gville news. Two years ago the News ran story after story about the pre-season camps of Clemson and USC day after day. Quite a few of us from the UFFP put our pens and emails to good use. We got lots of lip service for the lack of attention, then a lot of making up. Still when it comes down to it Clemson, USC and National sports rule the Gannett owned Gville News.

gvilleapp
May 9th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Gold and Black… It has been years in my view since Furman has got a fair shake in the Gville news. Two years ago the News ran story after story about the pre-season camps of Clemson and USC day after day. Quite a few of us from the UFFP put our pens and emails to good use. We got lots of lip service for the lack of attention, then a lot of making up. Still when it comes down to it Clemson, USC and National sports rule the Gannett owned Gville News.
We only get the Sunday Greenville News now. You are dead on about how they seem to fall all over themselves when anyone trims their toenails at Clemson or USC, but they can't cover other in-state schools adequately. Furman should get more coverage, but the way they ignore SCSU, Wofford, Citadel, PC, Newberry, Coastal, Benedict and Allen is down right shameful. A lot of folks in Greenville graduated from those schools and a bunch of us have kids attending those schools. Heck, North Greenville is a decent D2 school in Greenville county and they might get two paragraphs in the Sunday paper. They used to have a little coverage of other SoCon teams like App and Western, but that stopped several years ago and now all we get is the score from the previous day's game. Thank goodness we have AGS and our own message boards and newspaper websites like the Winston-Salem Journal's site.

Don't know how the Hearld Journal does for college sports, but I know they do a lot better job than the Greenville News covering high school sports. They have a very nice website for preps with a message board too.

fuEMO
May 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I think Furman is a victim of consistency. Year after year, even with Martin at quarterback, many opposing fans were rumbling that Furman was on its way down. BL is a very competitive coach, and you should believe it, he is not happy with APPs success of late. The SoCon needed new coaching blood like Higgins and Lembo. All this mix of new coaching talent, new schemes, APPs recent domination is good for everyone. It appears it's forcing Furman from the status quo. New coaches, new schemes, new recruiting priorities. This doesn't guarantee success. Players have to make plays, and your key players have to be on the field.

tralfangar
May 9th, 2007, 08:13 PM
App is still the class of the conference at this point, obviously (not that that matters much on May 9). Their speed, as has been mentioned, is incredibly valuable. They didn't have much trouble displaying that last year against FU. But I really can't see them going undefeated in the conference this year. There have been many great SoCon teams before, but going undefeated in conference play is a rarity...which makes what App did last year that much more special, but also difficult to repeat.

I'm glad you said that. I know we have the most talent and speed and etc etc, but we've been really fortunate with the injury bug the past two seasons. I just worry eventually it might catch up to us. Also, as everyone has already mentioned, the overall talent in the conference is up so I don't know if we'll go undefeated, I see a slip at Wofford honestly. However, as long as we beat Furman and don't lose at home I'll be more than pleased with the regular season xcoolx

james_lawfirm
May 9th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Well, you know how cities are always annexing other areas. I guess we got annexed by Hickory. Was it imminent domain?

Mr. C:

I would never correct your choice of words as long as you stick to football. However, I think you meant eminent domain, unless you are making some pun which escapes me. This is something I know a little about. Keep up the good work re: FCS football.

LarryBoy
May 9th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Well-written post- I didn't quote all of it to save room.

Just a comment- we're about even in coverage for the papers of our neighboring cities. There are very few times Wofford is mentioned in the Greenville News unless we play Furman, or lose to someone else.

However, I will say it appears to me that the Spartanburg Herald-Journal does cover Wofford much better than the Greenville News does Furman (features other than game stories, particularly). I never read the Greenville paper until I moved to Simpsonville, so I never noticed the difference before.

What's up with that? I know Greenville is larger, and has a Class A baseball team, but you'd think with Furman's success, there would be a little more emphasis on Furman.

Just an honest question- I have no idea what the answer is. xconfusedx

I think Greenville's lack of coverage of Furman has probably compounded my feelings toward the Herald Journal, out of bitterness over the fact that it does indeed cover Wofford really well. Sometimes I wonder if Jason Gilmer sleeps in Coach Ayers' office.

I do think that Greenville makes some legitimate attempt to give Wofford exposure, though, since there are Spartanburg subscribers. It's not a lot, but they will always get a Sunday headline somewhere in there; Furman is lucky to get the 3 sentences off of the AP wire in the Herald Journal. The biggest Furman article every year for SHJ, other than the Wofford game, is the game in the playoffs that they lose; those have a shot at the front page, while playoff wins are page 4 material. Just thought that was interesting.

Mr. C
May 9th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I never have understood why that the Greenville and Spartanburg newspapers seem to have so little interest in covering college teams that are just a few miles away. You would have to think that there are plenty of Furman grads who live in Spartanburg and plenty of Wofford grads that live in Greenville. It only makes sense, too, that there are all sorts of other people in both of these towns that have an interest in one of these schools. I know that Greenville's coverage took an additional dip when Gannett bought the paper. Just a natural outflow of being owned by one of the worst newspaper companies in the country.

CID1990
May 10th, 2007, 07:54 AM
If it ain't the King James version, Furman people ain't gonna read it.

OL FU
May 10th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Which book is the WSJ in :p xsmiley_wix

SoCon48
May 10th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Hey brother! Check out the GET TOGETHER page over at the Lounge. Bailey's Grille in Greenville on July 21st. Call me sometime this week.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I think it ought to be held at your house in Liberty! :)

catamount man
May 10th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I think it ought to be held at your house in Liberty! :)

Not until the deck and pool are finished.......HA!

Deck, this Summer. Pool, hopefully next summer. You wild ones ain't setting one toe in this Catamount's house.xlolx xlolx xlolx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GoldandBlack
May 10th, 2007, 10:31 AM
You wild ones ain't setting one toe in this Catamount's house.xlolx xlolx xlolx

It is characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things.
Henry David Thoreau:

PaladinFan
May 10th, 2007, 05:31 PM
It is characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things.
Henry David Thoreau:

Has it come to this?

proasu89
May 10th, 2007, 08:43 PM
LMAO right now. That was funnyxlolx

GoldandBlack
May 10th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Has it come to this?

What? Desperation, or Thoreau?

Eyes of Old Main
May 10th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Or maybe the fact that Thoreau has been dropped on this board is a measure of desperation.

Blueandwhitefightfight
May 11th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Okay, I read through the first 14 pages of this thread and couldn't find the answer so I am just going to ask.

Why does everyone think Wofford is going to be that great this year? I can see El Cid, I can see Furman, I can certainly see App St., other than that I can't see anyone being all that good.

Wofford just barely squeaked by us last year in our major slump year. That was because genius BVG couldn't figure out to play man-to-man with a spy/rover against the option. Hell, during one play their slow as mollasses fullback ran straight up the gut from endzone to endzone because we were attacking the corners and playing some funky NFL zone crap. It only took two half decent blocks and he ran it all the way. They really didn't look like anything special. Do they have some secret weapon QB or RB that I missed???

PaladinFan
May 11th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Okay, I read through the first 14 pages of this thread and couldn't find the answer so I am just going to ask.

Why does everyone think Wofford is going to be that great this year? I can see El Cid, I can see Furman, I can certainly see App St., other than that I can't see anyone being all that good.

Wofford just barely squeaked by us last year in our major slump year. That was because genius BVG couldn't figure out to play man-to-man with a spy/rover against the option. Hell, during one play their slow as mollasses fullback ran straight up the gut from endzone to endzone because we were attacking the corners and playing some funky NFL zone crap. It only took two half decent blocks and he ran it all the way. They really didn't look like anything special. Do they have some secret weapon QB or RB that I missed???

I don't necessairly understand it either. My guess is people see they have a lot of returning players and a good coach. Same with The Citadel.

There is no doubt Wofford will put up points in '07. The question is whether or not they can keep teams off the scoreboard.

Mr. C
May 11th, 2007, 01:01 AM

First off, since history is so important to so many posting on this thread, Wofford has had its way with your team more often than not in recent years. Is that special enough for you? Wofford never beats teams by being flashy, they do it by out-executing the other team. They have probably the best coach in the league, an experienced staff and a senior-oriented squad. History tells you that when Wofford has a veteran team, like in 2002-03, they play very, very well.

Mr. C
May 11th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I don't necessairly understand it either. My guess is people see they have a lot of returning players and a good coach. Same with The Citadel.

There is no doubt Wofford will put up points in '07. The question is whether or not they can keep teams off the scoreboard.
Wofford held Appalachian State to 14 points and shut them out in the second half last year (something NO other FCS team could do). If the Terriers can find that type of performance again this year, I think they will be fine on defense.

youwouldno
May 11th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Paladinfan makes a good point about defense. Ayers probably is the best coach in the conference, but while he can scheme offense, the same doesn't really work for defense. The fact App St's offense played horribly against Wofford in 2006 is not dispositive, or even very informative, with regard to a future season. Indeed, the Terriers allowed 38 points against Coastal and 35 to Furman. Their scoring defense was substantially better (29th) than their yardage defense (66th), which raises the question of whether the scoring defense can maintain its 2006 level.

Basing a sweeping analysis off of one game, in a previous season, is foolhardy, because football is a game of match-ups and also allows for significant fluctuations in performance. Furman's offense is a fine example.

seantaylor
May 11th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Mr. C has absolutely no credibility. El Cid and Wofford are going to suck this year. Mark it down and come back to me. Appy will lose 2 games in conference.

thirdgendin
May 11th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Mr. C has absolutely no credibility. El Cid and Wofford are going to suck this year. Mark it down and come back to me. Appy will lose 2 games in conference.

And GSU will beat Furman "by at least 20", according to your post on the GSU board. You're really bringing the bold predictions today! xlolx

MarkCCU
May 11th, 2007, 06:18 AM
wHERE'S SAMFORD?

Sir William
May 11th, 2007, 07:19 AM
wHERE'S SAMFORD?
Come 2008, look in the basement. I think you'll find them there. xsmiley_wix

pete4256
May 11th, 2007, 08:18 AM

You know you're smacking.

Wofford beat the crap out of us last year. After half-time, anyway. They've won four out of five.

I think people are jumping the gun on Citadel.

james_lawfirm
May 11th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Sean:

I disagree with most of the above. Mr. C is probably the most knowledgable single individual about FCS football. El Cid & Wofford were much improved last year (upwards trend) & I expect that trend to continue. ASU certainly could lose 2 conference games, but I doubt it.

GaSo however, was bad last year (downward trend) & I likewise expect that trend to continue (at least this year). I predict both Wofford and The Citadel will finish ahead of GaSo in '07.

CID1990
May 11th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I am having a hard time deciding what GSU fans spend more time doing.... making excuses for the last few seasons, or reminding everyone of how good they were back in the 80's and 90's.

pete4256
May 11th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I am having a hard time deciding what GSU fans spend more time doing.... making excuses for the last few seasons, or reminding everyone of how good they were back in the 80's and 90's.

Well, we were spanking the Citadel by 30 as recently as 2005.

blueballs
May 11th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Huh???

First off, GSU is undeniably the most successful FCS program in the history of the division.

Secondly, they only had two bad years- 1996 and last year.

Do enjoy your time that this program is in transition because whatever limited success you may have will be short lived. GSU is a large school, the program has a great reputation and tradition, they just hired a proven (76-12 with a NC) winner whose father is an icon in HS coaching circles in GA (same school in Macon over 30 years), his QB coach is the QB coach at the Nike camp in Atlanta and has just won two titles of his own in HS, the school and facilities are in a growth cycle, and they are in an extremely talent laden area for recruiting.

While we're making excuses, when was the last time Citadel participated in a playoff game? Let alone won a playoff game?

OL FU
May 11th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Huh???

First off, GSU is undeniably the most successful FCS program in the history of the division.

Do enjoy your time that this program is in transition because whatever limited success you may have will be short lived. GSU is a large school, the program has a great reputation and tradition, they just hired a proven (76-12 with a NC) winner whose father is an icon in HS coaching circles in GA (same school in Macon over 30 years), his QB coach is the QB coach at the Nike camp in Atlanta and has just won two titles of his own in HS, the school and facilities are in a growth cycle, and they are in an extremely talent laden area for recruiting.

While we're making excuses, when was the last time Citadel participated in a playoff game? Let alone won a playoff game?

1996, 2006, man am I ready for 2016xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
May 11th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Mr. C, I know you aren't a fan of it, but I still don't think you can flippantly disregard trends in anything. While nothing is 100% sure to happen, looking back at was HAS happened can give you just about as good an indicator as anything, especially when (like in this post) we are trying to predict the future.

AppGuy04
May 11th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Mr. C, I know you aren't a fan of it, but I still don't think you can flippantly disregard trends in anything. While nothing is 100% sure to happen, looking back at was HAS happened can give you just about as good an indicator as anything, especially when (like in this post) we are trying to predict the future.

history means nothing when put into the context of today's parody in college football, at any level

my xtwocentsx

OL FU
May 11th, 2007, 09:06 AM
history means nothing when put into the context of today's parody in college football, at any level

my xtwocentsx

On a game by game basis I would agree. However, if nothing has happen to change the trend, for example, Furman and Wofford have the same coach. Furman and Wofford return a similar number of players. Furman usually beats Wofford especially at Paladin Stadium, the trend is worth taking in to consideration. Does not mean Furman will win, but if you are predicting now, you would take it into consideration.

Does anyone doubt that Furman has a better chance of beating ASU this year than last simply because of ASU's lack of success at Paladin stadium. Does not mean it will happen but you have to consider it.

AppGuy04
May 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM
On a game by game basis I would agree. However, if nothing has happen to change the trend, for example, Furman and Wofford have the same coach. Furman and Wofford return a similar number of players. Furman usually beats Wofford especially at Paladin Stadium, the trend is worth taking in to consideration. Does not mean Furman will win, but if you are predicting now, you would take it into consideration.

Does anyone doubt that Furman has a better chance of beating ASU this year than last simply because of ASU's lack of success at Paladin stadium. Does not mean it will happen but you have to consider it.

You have to "consider" everything in football, but if we did that we would never stop talking about the what-if's

oh wait...........

we do that anywaysxsmiley_wix

Eyes of Old Main
May 11th, 2007, 09:09 AM

my xtwocentsx

Parody or parity?

Parity does apply to college football right now; and GSU football certainly is a parody of it's former self.

OL FU
May 11th, 2007, 09:15 AM
You have to "consider" everything in football, but if we did that we would never stop talking about the what-if's
oh wait...........

we do that anywaysxsmiley_wix

xeyebrowx I thought that was the pointxsmiley_wix

g-webb1994
May 11th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Having both Appy and GSU in Spartanburg helps Wofford this season, but those back-to-back road games at Furman and Citadel early will dictate their fate.

Eyes of Old Main
May 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Indeed, the Terriers allowed 38 points against Coastal and 35 to Furman. Their scoring defense was substantially better (29th) than their yardage defense (66th), which raises the question of whether the scoring defense can maintain its 2006 level.

Basing a sweeping analysis off of one game, in a previous season, is foolhardy, because football is a game of match-ups and also allows for significant fluctuations in performance.

Look at the order the games were played in last year. Wofford's secondary was decimated by injuries early in the season and had they not been facing a quality QB in Tyler Thigpen with a four year WR starting at CB, then the outcome of that game would have been different. Even most CCU fans would tell you that after seeng the way they wore down our 3rd and 4th string guys late in the game.

So, you're right, it is all about the matchups. By later in the seaosn when reserves had more experience and a few players filtered back in, Wofford's defense was much more formidable.

As for the yardage and scording defense, Wofford's defensive scheme has always been a "bend but don't break" style. In most seasons, they do give up a larger proportion of yards compared tothe points they allow. That may or may not continue this season, but their general scheme always seems to make it hard to move the ball the shorter the field becomes. I don't have stats to back this up, but I bet if you had the average length of all TD plays against the Terriers, it would be larger than the general average.

CID1990
May 11th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Huh???

That doesn't change the fact that some of the most shrill voices on this message board are from the GSU corner, which was the original point.

...you can add "turban wearing seers" to the list.

Eyes of Old Main
May 11th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Having both Appy and GSU in Spartanburg helps Wofford this season, but those back-to-back road games at Furman and Citadel early will dictate their fate.

EXACTLY. Take those four plus an OOC trip to NC State and Wofford will be facing quite a string of games. If they come out of those 5 games with 1-2 losses, they are in good shape, 3 or more and they are sunk.

Millwoch
May 20th, 2007, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=GaSouthern;501656]1.Appalacian State 10-1 (7-0)
2.Furman 8-3 (5-2)
3.Wofford 8-3 (4-3)
4.Georgia Southern 6-5 (4-3)
5.Citadel 5-6 (3-4)
7.Western 4-7 (3-4)
6.Elon 3-8 (1-6)
8.Chatty 3-8 (1-6)

All picks were done with 75% heart 25% head :)[/QUOTE a

I think that Citadel will go 4-3 in the conference and 3-1 out of conference for a 7-4 record. I think they beat Chatty, Elon and WCU and one of Appy, FU, Wofford, or GSU (they play 3/4 at home) I think it will be Wofford (we have lost 8 in a row to them and the streak must end sometime, wofford also plays in @ NC state, appy at home and in g-ville the 3 weeks before the trip to Charleston, not an easy streatch for the terriers). Win 2 of the above 4 and Citadel has a playoff shot. Only BSU school on schedule is Wisconsin which is a loss but we have CSU, Weber Int (Citadel finally schedules a pattsy NAIA game), and VMI on OOC schedule (should all be wins).

So even if your 3-4 record in conference comes true, I see Citadel finishing no worse than 6-5(although it will not affect the standings).

Mr. C
May 20th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I have no credibility? I'll match my credentials with you any time, any place. I've been working in the football business for 30 years. I have covered FCS for 15 of those years. What is your outstanding pedigree? You constantly attack my posts and yet you were one of those Eagle fans predicting such great things for Brian VanGorder and Georgia Southern last season. I told people GSU wouldn't win more than four games, while you were ready to hoist another flag at Paulson Stadium.

If you knew ANYTHING about FCS, you would know that Wofford and The Citadel have two of the best coaches in the country. Mike Ayers has won coach of the year awards from both The Sports Network and the College Sporting News in the past. He has an experienced team this year and when he has experience, the track record shows he wins — even with some of the least resources in FCS. And, BTW, he kicks Georgia Southern's butt with a high degree of regularity.

Kevin Higgins was the man who turned Lehigh into one of the top programs in FCS and now has embarked on turning around The Citadel. He has brought stability to a program that didn't have any since the Charlie Taaffe years. The Bulldogs have seniors in key positions as well, such as quarterback Duran Lawson. Both The Citadel and Wofford finished the 2006 season strongly, something that is generally a sign of improvement in the following year.

So who are you, Sean Taylor? What makes you such an expert on FCS? We are all waiting for some answers as to why we should believe you.

CID1990
May 21st, 2007, 08:37 AM
So who are you, Sean Taylor? What makes you such an expert on FCS? We all waiting for some answers as to why we should believe you.

He's just another one of those shrill voices I was talking about.....

OL FU
May 21st, 2007, 09:00 AM
I have no credibility? I'll match my credentials with you any time, any place. I've been working in the football business for 30 years. I have covered FCS for 15 of those years. What is your outstanding pedigree? You constantly attack my posts and yet you were one of those Eagle fans predicting such great things for Brian VanGorder and Georgia Southern last season. I told people GSU wouldn't win more than four games, while you were ready to hoist another flag at Paulson Stadium.

If you knew ANYTHING about FCS, you would know that Wofford and The Citadel have two of the best coaches in the country. Mike Ayers has won coach of the year awards from both The Sports Network and the College Sporting News in the past. He has an experienced team this year and when he has experience, the track record shows he wins — even with some of the least resources in FCS. And, BTW, he kicks Georgia Southern's butt with a high degree of regularity.

Kevin Higgins was the man who turned Lehigh into one of the top programs in FCS and now has embarked on turning around The Citadel. He has brought stability to a program that didn't have any since the Charlie Taaffe years. The Bulldogs have seniors in key positions as well, such as quarterback Duran Lawson. Both The Citadel and Wofford finished the 2006 season strongly, something that is generally a sign of improvement in the following year.

So who are you, Sean Taylor? What makes you such an expert on FCS? We all waiting for some answers as to why we should believe you.

you know if it doesn't violate the terms of service, we really need an emoticon with the bird finger pointing straight upxnodx :D

SoCon48
May 21st, 2007, 02:22 PM
Note to Mr. C.
David: We all should have learned by now that there is no way to argue logically with _ermin.

OL FU
May 21st, 2007, 02:23 PM
Note to Mr. C.
David: We all should have learned by now that there is no way to argue logically with _ermin.

Argue. We were agreeing with youxnodx xsmiley_wix

Whoops wrong thread

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2007, 03:55 PM
Note to Mr. C.

Oh, you can argue with us, you just won't win. xthumbsupx

SoCon48
May 21st, 2007, 04:45 PM
We win, you just don't know it.

Mr. C
May 21st, 2007, 04:47 PM
you know if it doesn't violate the terms of service, we really need an emoticon with the bird finger pointing straight upxnodx :D
So are you saying I deserve the salute, or our friend from Eagleland?
xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

Mr. C
May 21st, 2007, 04:49 PM
We win, you just don't know it.

I think Paladin Fan just slipped on a patch of ice.
xlolx xnodx xrotatehx :) :D xrolleyesx xcoolx :p ;) xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix :o xeekx

Kill'em
May 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM

That joker would appear in darned-near every post.

FUwolfpacker
May 21st, 2007, 11:20 PM
I think Paladin Fan just slipped on a patch of ice.
xlolx xnodx xrotatehx :) :D xrolleyesx xcoolx :p ;) xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix :o xeekx

That wasn't very nice. :( xsmhx

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2007, 11:32 PM
That wasn't very nice. :( xsmhx

great comeback, wolf.

OL FU
May 22nd, 2007, 06:44 AM
So are you saying I deserve the salute, or our friend from Eagleland?
xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

No I was saying it should be your finger aimed at ST.xlolx

james_lawfirm
May 22nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
No I was saying it should be your finger aimed at ST.xlolx

Good, I had the same question as Mr. C. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

OL FU
May 22nd, 2007, 07:49 AM
Good, I had the same question as Mr. C. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I strive for clarity in the futurexnodx xeyebrowx xpeacex