PDA

View Full Version : Marques Murrell this year's Colston?

B&G
April 19th, 2007, 07:34 PM
That's what Mel Kiper just said on his draft special. He thinks Murrell would excel with a team like Dallas or Pittsburgh. He also mentioned a TE out of Western Oregon as his candidates for this year's Marques Colston.

CharlestonAppFan
April 19th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I can verify, just heard it myselfxthumbsupx and was also thinking of posting it but you beat me to it.

Mr. C
April 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Mel, you the man. Kiper and I were in agreement last year that Colston would have an impact (Joe Gardi had been telling me to watch out for Colston for years). Having watched Marques Murrell for four years, I know he is a different player when you start the game. His game speed is a lot different than his practice speed. If Jason Hunter can make it in the NFL, Murrell certainly can, too. I wouldn't want him hitting me on special teams, or blitzing from the outside either.

CharlestonAppFan
April 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM
which team's defensive scheme would he fit best in?

Mr. C
April 19th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Good question. I don't watch enough NFL to be able to tear apart schemes (sleep is more important after those late Saturday nights covering FCS), but I bet Baltimore would be a good fit.

Peems
April 19th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Good question. I don't watch enough NFL to be able to tear apart schemes (sleep is more important after those late Saturday nights covering FCS), but I bet Baltimore would be a good fit.

are they projectin that he would be an outside linebacker? because then it definitely would be the 3-4 but the steelers are moving away from that with their new coach. I wish him the best. xnodx

Mr. C
April 19th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Most people think he is too small to play DE, though Jason Hunter is playing DE for the Packers.

appfan2008
April 20th, 2007, 12:59 AM
what round do yall expect him to be picked in... or is he a fa

did kiper say when he would be picked if at all?

CharlestonAppFan
April 20th, 2007, 07:46 AM
what round do yall expect him to be picked in... or is he a fa

did kiper say when he would be picked if at all?

Kiper said late rounds and that he would or should be drafted on the second day.

Cocky
April 20th, 2007, 08:30 AM
What is his weight now?

appfan2008
April 20th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Kiper said late rounds and that he would or should be drafted on the second day.
that would be awesome to see him get drafted... i was a little bummed last year about jason hunter not getting drafted but obviously it worked out for him in the end

B&G
April 20th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Todd McShay released a 7 Round Mock Draft. Here are the Non-BCS players he feels will be drafted. Obviously it isn't the gospel but it's still fun to look at...

3rd Rd
66. DET - Justin Durant, LB, Hampton
76. SF - Jacoby Jones, WR, Lane (Kiper called him this yr's Devin Hester)
85. SEA - Ben Patrick, TE Delaware

4th Rd
114. Cincinnati: Allen Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern State
127. New England: Zak DeOssie, LB, Brown
133. Atlanta (compensatory selection): Travarous Bain, CB, Hampton

5th Rd
147. San Francisco: Michael Allan, TE, Whitworth
150. Jacksonville: Courtney Brown, CB, Cal Poly
158. Detroit (from Denver): Kevin Boss, TE, Western Oregon

6th Rd
181. Miami: David Jones, CB, Wingate
189. N.Y. Giants: Jermon Bushrod, OT, Towson
200. Dallas (from N.Y. Jets): Walter Thomas, NT, NW Mississippi JC
201. Philadelphia: Corey Graham, CB, New Hampshire

7th Rd
212. Dallas (from Detroit through N.Y. Jets): Daren Stone, S, Maine
222. Buffalo: David Ball, WR, New Hampshire
228. Green Bay: Michael Coe, CB, Alabama State
233. Denver: Craig Dahl, S, North Dakota State
238. Miami (from New England): Alonzo Coleman, RB, Hampton
246. Tampa Bay (compensatory selection): Gijon Robinson, TE/FB, Missouri Western State
253. Cincinnati (compensatory selection): Justin Rascati, QB, James Madison
255. Detroit (compensatory selection): Clifton Dawson, RB/RS, Harvard

B&G
April 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM
From Mel Kiper's 4 Round Mock...

47. GB - Ben Patrick, TE, Delaware
107. HOU - Jacoby Jones, WR, Lane
120. SEA - Michael Allen, TE, Whitworth
122. DAL - Jermon Bushrod, OT, Towson
126. NO - Walter Thomas, DT, NW Mississippi JC
127. NE - Zak DeOssie, LB, Brown
131. IND - Justin Durant, LB, Hampton
134. BAL - Jacob Bender, OT, Nicholls St
135. SF - Allen Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern St

appfan2008
April 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM
obviously he doesnt have murrell on their :(

BeauFoster
April 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I haven't heard anything about Daniel Bettis and the next level. Is no one (NFLE or Canada or otherwise) looking for a sure-handed TE? I know that he isn't the biggest guy in the world, but does he not have a shot somewhere?

CharlestonAppFan
April 20th, 2007, 12:05 PM
obviously he doesnt have murrell on their :(

But there are 3 other rounds he hasn't listed either; that one only goes to the 4th round.

mcveyrl
April 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Most people think he is too small to play DE, though Jason Hunter is playing DE for the Packers.

Anymore, DE is about speed and moves, which is why I think Hunter has been successful at the next level. Murrell would probably fair well at either DE or OLB.

appfan2008
April 20th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I haven't heard anything about Daniel Bettis and the next level. Is no one (NFLE or Canada or otherwise) looking for a sure-handed TE? I know that he isn't the biggest guy in the world, but does he not have a shot somewhere?
good question... coming into this past year he was one of the most highly touted te's in the country but he seems to have slipped a little...

mr. c is this true? and what will happen with him

B&G
April 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I think Bettis had lackluster junior and senior years. He had a lot of drops for a receiving TE. I think he might get an NFL tryout and ultimately end up in Canada.

Mr. C
April 20th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Bettis had a lackluster junior year? I don't think so. He was great in 2005 and was particularly good when the Mountaineers got around the red zone. Richie Williams had a good chemistry with Bettis. Daniel's problem last season was strickly related to injuries. He wasn't really healthy after the first couple of games of the season. Even still, he was a preseason and postseason All-American. He will get a free agent look from somebody, but will need everything to fall into place to make a roster.

smallcollegefbfan
April 21st, 2007, 06:45 AM
Mel, you the man. Kiper and I were in agreement last year that Colston would have an impact (Joe Gardi had been telling me to watch out for Colston for years). Having watched Marques Murrell for four years, I know he is a different player when you start the game. His game speed is a lot different than his practice speed. If Jason Hunter can make it in the NFL, Murrell certainly can, too. I wouldn't want him hitting me on special teams, or blitzing from the outside either.

I don't remember Kiper mentioning Colston until right before the draft. He never talked about him before the Shrine Game or even during the Shrine. He did start saying that a couple weeks before the draft but he had already been beaten to it by a few people on the internet. Believe it or not Colston had 2-3 draft people already saying he would be good right before the Shrine game. One of those people was actually responsible for getting him in the Shrine game.

smallcollegefbfan
April 21st, 2007, 06:46 AM
That's what Mel Kiper just said on his draft special. He thinks Murrell would excel with a team like Dallas or Pittsburgh. He also mentioned a TE out of Western Oregon as his candidates for this year's Marques Colston.

The TE from Western Oregon is Kevin Boss. He is listed as a 3rd-5th rounder by the legit sites I have seen.

smallcollegefbfan
April 21st, 2007, 07:00 AM
Todd McShay released a 7 Round Mock Draft. Here are the Non-BCS players he feels will be drafted. Obviously it isn't the gospel but it's still fun to look at...

3rd Rd
66. DET - Justin Durant, LB, Hampton
76. SF - Jacoby Jones, WR, Lane (Kiper called him this yr's Devin Hester)
85. SEA - Ben Patrick, TE Delaware

4th Rd
114. Cincinnati: Allen Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern State
127. New England: Zak DeOssie, LB, Brown
133. Atlanta (compensatory selection): Travarous Bain, CB, Hampton

5th Rd
147. San Francisco: Michael Allan, TE, Whitworth
150. Jacksonville: Courtney Brown, CB, Cal Poly
158. Detroit (from Denver): Kevin Boss, TE, Western Oregon

6th Rd
181. Miami: David Jones, CB, Wingate
189. N.Y. Giants: Jermon Bushrod, OT, Towson
200. Dallas (from N.Y. Jets): Walter Thomas, NT, NW Mississippi JC
201. Philadelphia: Corey Graham, CB, New Hampshire

7th Rd
212. Dallas (from Detroit through N.Y. Jets): Daren Stone, S, Maine
222. Buffalo: David Ball, WR, New Hampshire
228. Green Bay: Michael Coe, CB, Alabama State
233. Denver: Craig Dahl, S, North Dakota State
238. Miami (from New England): Alonzo Coleman, RB, Hampton
246. Tampa Bay (compensatory selection): Gijon Robinson, TE/FB, Missouri Western State
253. Cincinnati (compensatory selection): Justin Rascati, QB, James Madison
255. Detroit (compensatory selection): Clifton Dawson, RB/RS, Harvard

One of the two people I have read who is better than Kiper is actually the one to find Thomas before anyone else. He was the one who got him in an all-star game and put out a long time ago that he would or should get drafted.

Mr. C
April 21st, 2007, 08:44 AM
I don't remember Kiper mentioning Colston until right before the draft. He never talked about him before the Shrine Game or even during the Shrine. He did start saying that a couple weeks before the draft but he had already been beaten to it by a few people on the internet. Believe it or not Colston had 2-3 draft people already saying he would be good right before the Shrine game. One of those people was actually responsible for getting him in the Shrine game.
But none of them had the guts to draft him on the first day, despite his impressive play in the all-star games. If I remember right, you were dogging me about making Colston a preseason All-American in 2005, because he was coming off a broken collarbone, or whatever. I kind of like that I've known about this guy since before the 2004 season. Maybe I should be an NFL talent scout. xlolx :D xnodx :D xcoolx :p xeekx :) xrolleyesx ;) xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

appfan2008
April 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM
But none of them had the guts to draft him on the first day, despite his impressive play in the all-star games. If I remember right, you were dogging me about making Colston a preseason All-American in 2005, because he was coming off a broken collarbone, or whatever. I kind of like that I've known about this guy since before the 2004 season. Maybe I should be an NFL talent scout. xlolx :D xnodx :D xcoolx :p xeekx :) xrolleyesx ;) xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx
why not you would probably be pretty good

smallcollegefbfan
April 21st, 2007, 01:30 PM

What is weird is that you can't always say a player should have been an All-American in college due to his NFL career. Colston's size/speed combo has made him a difficult matchup and that is why he is in the NFL. There are plenty of 5'10 and shorter WRs who were more productive than him but their games didn't translate as well to the NFL. There is no doubt that Eric Kimble, DaVon Fowlkes, and even Efrem Hill put up better numbers in college and should have been talked about as All-Americans over him. The problem is none of them had the size to create the matchup problems. An interesting note on Colston is that he looked horrible in the rookie mini camp and was told he might get cut. His work ethic and willingness to succeed is another reason he had a good year. He took that personally and worked twice as hard. Most players would have never made it. His personality made him a star as much or more than his god given ability did.

appfan2008
April 21st, 2007, 04:44 PM
What is weird is that you can't always say a player should have been an All-American in college due to his NFL career. Colston's size/speed combo has made him a difficult matchup and that is why he is in the NFL. There are plenty of 5'10 and shorter WRs who were more productive than him but their games didn't translate as well to the NFL. There is no doubt that Eric Kimble, DaVon Fowlkes, and even Efrem Hill put up better numbers in college and should have been talked about as All-Americans over him. The problem is none of them had the size to create the matchup problems. An interesting note on Colston is that he looked horrible in the rookie mini camp and was told he might get cut. His work ethic and willingness to succeed is another reason he had a good year. He took that personally and worked twice as hard. Most players would have never made it. His personality made him a star as much or more than his god given ability did.
how is he doing now adays?

smallcollegefbfan
April 22nd, 2007, 12:42 PM
how is he doing now adays?

Last I saw he was in the CFL. He was a very talented player. I think he would have gotten drafted had he been 2-3 inches taller.