PDA

View Full Version : Better chance of covering the spread; ND State football or ND State hoops?

The Boogie Down
March 20th, 2019, 09:08 PM
I saw where Duke will be about a 30 point favorite against ND State this Friday. I figure Clemson would also be about a 30 point favorite against ND State if they ever matched up on the gridiron. So if that contest were to ever happen, which game do you guys think would be closer?

POD Knows
March 20th, 2019, 09:13 PM
I saw where Duke will be about a 30 point favorite against ND State this Friday. I figure Clemson would also be about a 30 point favorite against ND State if they ever matched up on the gridiron. So if that contest were to ever happen, which game do you guys think would be closer?Football and not even close, I would actually expect us to win, not kidding. That would be the expectation, probably wouldn't happen but that would be the mind set. Insane as it is, that would be the game face. We have no chance chance against Duke in MBB, none, hoping for a moral victory.

Professor Chaos
March 20th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Football and not even close, I would actually expect us to win, not kidding. That would be the expectation, probably wouldn't happen but that would be the mind set. Insane as it is, that would be the game face. We have no chance chance against Duke in MBB, none, hoping for a moral victory.
Are you calling a #BookIt on a Duke victory Friday night??? :D

But yes, the answer is Bison football would hang much closer to Clemson football than Bison basketball likely will to Duke basketball.

POD Knows
March 20th, 2019, 09:16 PM
Are you calling a #BookIt on a Duke victory Friday night??? :DI just don't want anybody to get hurt. The difference between us and Duke, on the court, will be startling. There isn't enough #bookit karma in the world to keep this close and on that you can #bookit

BisonFan02
March 20th, 2019, 09:56 PM
Football.....by miles. This NDSU basketball team has already overachieved this season...but we might want to shield our eyes Friday night.

Bisonator
March 21st, 2019, 09:35 AM
Football and not even close, I would actually expect us to win, not kidding. That would be the expectation, probably wouldn't happen but that would be the mind set. Insane as it is, that would be the game face. We have no chance chance against Duke in MBB, none, hoping for a moral victory.
This.

A football game against a Clemson or Alabama would at least be competitive for a half. This BB game against Duke will be over after 5 minutes.

Redbird 4th & short
March 21st, 2019, 11:52 AM
I assume Duke is still wearing Nike shoes ... so there's always a chance the entire Duke starting 5 could experience a debilitating wardrobe malfunction in the first minute of game .... too soon ??

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/TTrX_LGqBCI/maxresdefault.jpg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTrX_LGqBCI)

JacksFan40
March 21st, 2019, 12:01 PM
NDSU could beat Duke in football, maybe even by 15+. Duke is a mediocre P5, in basketball though Duke wins by 30 at a minimum.

IBleedYellow
March 21st, 2019, 02:18 PM
NDSU could beat Duke in football, maybe even by 15+. Duke is a mediocre P5, in basketball though Duke wins by 30 at a minimum.

I see that you were taught great reading comprehension down in South Dakota.

JacksFan40
March 21st, 2019, 05:12 PM
I see that you were taught great reading comprehension down in South Dakota.
I probably should’ve paid better attention, but oh well.

Thumper 76
March 21st, 2019, 06:10 PM
Football.....by miles. This NDSU basketball team has already overachieved this season...but we might want to shield our eyes Friday night.

That’s probably what would get me to tune in tomorrow tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

344Johnson
March 21st, 2019, 10:10 PM
I saw where Duke will be about a 30 point favorite against ND State this Friday. I figure Clemson would also be about a 30 point favorite against ND State if they ever matched up on the gridiron. So if that contest were to ever happen, which game do you guys think would be closer?

Basketball has a better chance of covering.

We talking about the same Clemson team? They were stupid good this year, especially once they got their QB situation figured out. My score projection for that hypothetical game...

Clemson: 40+
NDSU: 0-3 points

NDSU might keep it a bit lower because of style of play but they aren't scoring much, if at all, against Clemson.

And basketball is a very flukey game. The #1 overall seed got their doors blown off last year. NDSU will almost certainly get pounded on tomorrow, but keeping it within ~30 isn't insane.

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2019, 07:32 AM

We talking about the same Clemson team? They were stupid good this year, especially once they got their QB situation figured out. My score projection for that hypothetical game...

NDSU might keep it a bit lower because of style of play but they aren't scoring much, if at all, against Clemson.

And basketball is a very flukey game. The #1 overall seed got their doors blown off last year. NDSU will almost certainly get pounded on tomorrow, but keeping it within ~30 isn't insane.I don't know, it would have cool to see the 2013 and 2018 Bison FB teams play the top teams, I get how good Clemson is and would they spank the Bison, more than likely yes, and basketball is flukey, sort of like hockey. I hope I am wrong but if Duke shows up to play today, they could beat us by 60, you just never know what you are going to get out the NDSU MBB team, I have watched them perform pathetically a few teams this year, at least with the football team, you always know you are going to get a good effort, basketball teams seem to phone it in quite a bit, don't know why but that adds to the flukey nature of it all and is probably one of the reasons I don't like basketball very much. There seems to be a lot of games that are just thrown away.

Professor Chaos
March 22nd, 2019, 09:17 AM

And basketball is a very flukey game. The #1 overall seed got their doors blown off last year. NDSU will almost certainly get pounded on tomorrow, but keeping it within ~30 isn't insane.
I'd definitely take 2018 NDSU at +38.5 over 2018 Clemson. Sagarin would've had Clemson as about 20 point favorites on a neutral field so I'd suspect the line would be more in the low to mid 20s.

I think I would take Duke at the -27 consensus it's at in Vegas today if I was putting money down.

Panther88
March 22nd, 2019, 10:30 AM

I'm an optimist. I think NDSU M bball can hold their own if they play their best team ball possible.

I don't expect a blowout loss and do believe the game will be w/in 10-13 points, unless the NDSU starting 5 has to play the duke starting 8 (duke starting 5 + the 3 on-court officials.) xsmhx

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2019, 10:34 AM
I'm an optimist. I think NDSU M bball can hold their own if they play their best team ball possible.

I don't expect a blowout loss and do believe the game will be w/in 10-13 points, unless the NDSU starting 5 has to play the duke starting 8 (duke starting 5 + the 3 on-court officials.) xsmhxWoof, we barely beat the 302 ranked team in the country, this will be a blood bath unless something completely strange happens and NDSU gets out of their mind shooting from 3 point range. They got physically man handled the other night by NCCU but came away with the win. We are not athletic but we are slow and small, so we have that. Maybe we can lull them to sleep.

Professor Chaos
March 22nd, 2019, 10:56 AM

I don't expect a blowout loss and do believe the game will be w/in 10-13 points, unless the NDSU starting 5 has to play the duke starting 8 (duke starting 5 + the 3 on-court officials.) xsmhx

Woof, we barely beat the 302 ranked team in the country, this will be a blood bath unless something completely strange happens and NDSU gets out of their mind shooting from 3 point range. They got physically man handled the other night by NCCU but came away with the win. We are not athletic but we are slow and small, so we have that. Maybe we can lull them to sleep.
Yeah, I think a 10-13 point Duke win is very optimistic from NDSU's perspective. The Bison live and die by the 3 so if they're shooting lights out they can make Duke sweat for a half maybe but if they're cold this will get very very ugly. NDSU really struggles to rebound and Duke is so athletic I have a feeling they'll get offensive rebounds on more than half of their misses so stops will be few and far between for the Bison. Unless they hit 20+ 3s I don't see them getting within 10 points of Duke and that's going to be an incredibly tall order even for a good shooting team.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 22nd, 2019, 11:58 AM
Not even close.

NDSU football would keep it very respectable against Clemson, the BB team will get hammered. Coach K might have some mercy but this game will be a rout.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 22nd, 2019, 11:59 AM

Pfft....Clemson would not beat the Bison by 40.

Panther88
March 22nd, 2019, 12:55 PM
Woof, we barely beat the 302 ranked team in the country, this will be a blood bath unless something completely strange happens and NDSU gets out of their mind shooting from 3 point range. They got physically man handled the other night by NCCU but came away with the win. We are not athletic but we are slow and small, so we have that. Maybe we can lull them to sleep.

Had a chance to check out a few clips and was impressed w/ the size and bball IQ. Team ball, that's the only way to win it.

I think NDSU matches up well. I'm not a gambler but I'd put my $$$$ on NDSU. I'll be rooting for the bison.

Panther88
March 22nd, 2019, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I think a 10-13 point Duke win is very optimistic from NDSU's perspective. The Bison live and die by the 3 so if they're shooting lights out they can make Duke sweat for a half maybe but if they're cold this will get very very ugly. NDSU really struggles to rebound and Duke is so athletic I have a feeling they'll get offensive rebounds on more than half of their misses so stops will be few and far between for the Bison. Unless they hit 20+ 3s I don't see them getting within 10 points of Duke and that's going to be an incredibly tall order even for a good shooting team.

I'm sure the NDSU coaching staff is stressing block-out-CONSTANTLY/rebounding O/D. The clips I saw last night were a bunch of 3s mainly lol. Hopefully the players can rise to the level of competition they are going against. The best seems to bring out the best in opposing players.

semobison
March 22nd, 2019, 02:00 PM
The Bison can cover the spread tonight against Duke if:

1 They take care of the ball, we need to limit turnovers. Duke and their athleticism is going to bring the kind of defense we have not experienced before. Can we handle the pressure their athletes can bring. Take care of the ball and try to get some decent looks.
2 Rebound. If we don't box out and Duke gets second chances it could get ugly.

BisonBacker
March 22nd, 2019, 02:30 PM
It's going to be ugly and it'll be over before the second half starts. I'd love to be wrong the Cinderella story will be over before it even got to start.

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2019, 02:38 PM
Had a chance to check out a few clips and was impressed w/ the size and bball IQ. Team ball, that's the only way to win it.

I think NDSU matches up well. I'm not a gambler but I'd put my $$$$ on NDSU. I'll be rooting for the bison.Dude, you have to be trolling here, what match up could there possibly be where NDSU matches well. Just wait until they throw a couple weaves at Puke U, that is the only chance we have at keeping this close is when the Duke guys start laughing their asses off at the ineptitude. It could be all part of the bold plan.

Panther88
March 22nd, 2019, 03:16 PM
Dude, you have to be trolling here, what match up could there possibly be where NDSU matches well. Just wait until they throw a couple weaves at Puke U, that is the only chance we have at keeping this close is when the Duke guys start laughing their asses off at the ineptitude. It could be all part of the bold plan.

Just thinking purely fundamental basketball and I'm a fundamentalist/purist. A box-out can do wonders to keep giants in foul trouble if they come over your back during O/D rebounding. (if the refs call it) I think that's how one neutralizes length and athleticism while eliminating 2nd chance shot opportunities. We'll find out in T-minus 3 hours.

The Boogie Down
March 22nd, 2019, 03:23 PM
We are not athletic but we are slow and small, so we have that.

Sounds like you're familiar with how Fordham does things in the A-10!

As for the better chance of covering the spread, I don't know which is why I asked. But years & years ago I do remember reading somewhere that, with everything else being equal, football is the hardest of the major sports to land an upset. That's simply because of differences in physicality and speed. Soccer was the easiest b/c it's so low scoring by nature. Hockey and baseball came next b/c one can be dominated by a hot goalie and the other by a hot pitcher. Then came basketball, thanks in large part to the 3 point line. Finally, all by itself was football, where it almost always takes the favorite to play waaay below par to lose to a big underdog.

344Johnson
March 22nd, 2019, 06:40 PM
Pfft....Clemson would not beat the Bison by 40.

They beat #3 Notre Dame by 27 and #1 Alabama by 28. They would beat the living hell out of NDSU. It wouldn't be remotely competitive.

Basketball is a very very flukey game. ndsu is hanging tight right now against a team of NBA guys lmao. That's all you need to know about it.

ST_Lawson
March 22nd, 2019, 07:06 PM
It's going to be ugly and it'll be over before the second half starts. I'd love to be wrong the Cinderella story will be over before it even got to start.

Technically the second half hasn't started yet, but it is halftime and NDSU is only down 31-27. Nice showing so far from the Bison.

Oddly enough, 31-27 is about what I'd predict a NDSU @ Duke football game to end up at...with NDSU winning.

semobison
March 22nd, 2019, 07:12 PM
Bison did a great job on the defensive boards the first half. Offensively they are struggling with Dukes length. Nobody expected this though!

Panther88
March 22nd, 2019, 08:16 PM
Bison did a great job on the defensive boards the first half. Offensively they are struggling with Dukes length. Nobody expected this though!

:)

Laker
March 22nd, 2019, 08:19 PM
:)

Puke 85-62 final.

344Johnson
March 22nd, 2019, 08:30 PM
The second half is what I'd expect a NDSU/Clemson football game to look like.

semobison
March 22nd, 2019, 08:34 PM
Puke 85-62 final.

Bison cover the spread thanks to a couple guys who never play knocking down 3's the last minute and a half!

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 23rd, 2019, 03:18 PM
They beat #3 Notre Dame by 27 and #1 Alabama by 28. They would beat the living hell out of NDSU. It wouldn't be remotely competitive.

Basketball is a very very flukey game. ndsu is hanging tight right now against a team of NBA guys lmao. That's all you need to know about it.

Big deal on your scores.

Duke's slow start prevented that game from being a 50 point beat down.

Bison FB would play play a very respectable game versus Clemson.

Have your opinion, good for you.

344Johnson
March 23rd, 2019, 08:10 PM
Big deal on your scores.

Duke's slow start prevented that game from being a 50 point beat down.

Bison FB would play play a very respectable game versus Clemson.

Have your opinion, good for you.

Big deal on the scores? You mean not hypothetical results but actual ones? NDSU covered the spread in basketball.

What do you consider respectable?