PDA

View Full Version : School Specific Message Boards

nodak651
February 15th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Kind of a random topic, but it's the off season and it's slow here, and this has bugged me for a while.

Why the hell do fan bases use premium message boards like rivals, where they are required to pay?

Schools like Montana, Montana State, UND, SDSU, NDSU, and many other FCS schools have quality message boards that are free. Why do so many FBS schools have fan bases that rely on message boards like rivals, where payment is required? And it seems like those message boards normally only have like 3-5 topics many of the time, like football, football recruiting, basketball, and off topic.

This is especially confusing because CSNBBS has a legit platform with the potential for any school to have an active and FREE message board. I think JMU uses this platform.

This bother anyone else? I can't think of a reason why it is so difficult to find a decent message boards for many FBS and P5 schools, that are free. You would think that a privatly owned website at a p5 school would get enough web traffic to be successful, especially since so many FCS schools do it, and do it better than Rivals and 247.

DFW HOYA
February 15th, 2019, 03:03 PM
I've maintained an independent web site and message board for 23 years (ouch!) and there aren't many of us left.

In many cases, the lure of click-throughs and banner ad revenues steered many of the formerly independent sites to Rivals, Scout, the second iteration of Rivals, 247 Sports, and SB Nation, but it left the sites to sign up fans on premium memberships to exist. I've never asked for a dime from the visitors to HoyaSaxa.com and the HoyaTalk boards and have no intention to do so, but others see such "affiliated" sites as a revenue producing operation.

Others start their own business out of it. Tech Sideline.com (the former "Hokie Central") started about the same time I did and went into a JV with Virginia's TheSabre.com. They host a platform for six other sites.

SDFS
February 15th, 2019, 03:57 PM
I've maintained an independent web site and message board for 23 years (ouch!) and there aren't many of us left.

In many cases, the lure of click-throughs and banner ad revenues steered many of the formerly independent sites to Rivals, Scout, the second iteration of Rivals, 247 Sports, and SB Nation, but it left the sites to sign up fans on premium memberships to exist. I've never asked for a dime from the visitors to HoyaSaxa.com and the HoyaTalk boards and have no intention to do so, but others see such "affiliated" sites as a revenue producing operation.

Others start their own business out of it. Tech Sideline.com (the former "Hokie Central") started about the same time I did and went into a JV with Virginia's TheSabre.com. They host a platform for six other sites.

Does traffic to the site cover all costs of hosting?

AggieFinn
February 15th, 2019, 06:09 PM
http://www.aggiesportstalk.com/ (http://www.aggiesportstalk.com/)

Used to be on Yuku, now created through PlushForums

Tight knit group, with regulars over the last 10 years, new people come on at the start of football season, new students, recent alumni, most come and go, some stay for a while.

JSUSoutherner
February 15th, 2019, 06:24 PM
JSU uses ProBoards.

https://gojaxstate.boards.net

SFA 93
February 15th, 2019, 07:41 PM
SFA Forum

https://sfasawmill.com/

Daytripper
February 16th, 2019, 06:24 AM
Sammy forum: http://www.katfans.com/katsforum/forum.php

Mocs123
February 16th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Chattanooga https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mocnation/chattanooga-moc-nation-f99/

Outsider1
February 16th, 2019, 10:00 AM
ACU uses ProBoards as well. It is maintained by a couple of great guys and we have a fairly active small group of regular fans/alum, parents and occaisional others who just like to use it to keep up, etc... I don't know if larger FBS schools just don't have the intimate communities that smaller schools do. Our fans do a great job of discussing pretty much all the sports ACU has and we can usually keep each other more informed through our board than the school's athletic website. We also offer other discussions as well; just like here.

http://catchat.freeforums.net/

Go Green
February 16th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Yale: http://yalefb.com/

Columbia: culions.blogspot.com/

Dartmouth: http://greenalertfootball.com/

Dartmouth doesn't allow comments. But it's also the most comprehensive coverage by a wide margin. It charges for premium content (coverage of practices and games). Highly recommended if you want to follow Dartmouth and/or Ivy football.

Sader87
February 16th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Holy Cross: http://crossports.freeforums.net/

Pretty active for an FCS board, if mostly frequented by embittahed, old fogies like myself :)

Redbird 4th & short
February 16th, 2019, 05:35 PM
ISUr Redbird Forum ... run by Quinn with help from TotalRed and others. Quinnn inherited site on older technology and it had unrecoverable crash about 2 years ago. So we lost a lot of history when it went down. Actually hurt posting activity as people were slow to re-engage as Quinn spent a couple weeks trying to recover the lost data. He is and should be revered for his efforts, but not to be ... we started over. Basketball board is pretty toxic .. football board is much more interesting and constructive. Activity is slowly picking up year over year. We're a basketball school that is turning into football school .. but fan support is largely fair weather. It is what it is .. after barely drawing 5k for home 2014 playoff game against rival UNI, and 2 road games (EWU and UNH) where we barely drew several hundred .. then we draw close to 4k in Frisco Natty ... Welcome to Redbird Nation !!

https://redbirdfan.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=0d30f82cfecd9b635cc9d276ec4dcc24

edit: our forum is free and funded by donations from posters

The Cats
February 16th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Western Carolina has two independent boards.

The Catamount Sports Forum (http://catamount.boards.net/)

and

Catamount Pride (http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=catamountpride&popup=&ctx=5&cacheTag=x32-37&ld=)

Grizalltheway
February 16th, 2019, 09:46 PM
With all due respect to the owner, who is a great guy, eGriz is probably 75% petty garbage and ****-flinging.

dgtw
February 16th, 2019, 11:46 PM
I have never paid to belong to a message board and don’t understand why people do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POD Knows
February 17th, 2019, 08:07 AM
I have never paid to belong to a message board and don’t understand why people do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donations fund this board. I don’t belong to any boards other that this one and don’t really have a problem kicking in for the cause. I am probably like you and would never be on a board that had mandatory fees

TheKingpin28
February 17th, 2019, 09:59 AM
Donations fund this board. I don’t belong to any boards other that this one and don’t really have a problem kicking in for the cause. I am probably like you and would never be on a board that had mandatory fees

This

ST_Lawson
February 17th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Leatherneck Nation was actually started by a UNI guy (who also ran Panther Nation...UNI's message board). I took it over from him maybe 7-8 years ago, and maybe 5 or so years ago switched to using phpBB.
As for how the site is paid for, I have one google banner ad at the bottom of the page that easily covers the cost of hosting with enough left over for a small donation (a few hundred dollars) to the WIU Athletics Department every year.

We have 310 users signed up to the site, although like most sites, we have a core group of maybe 10-15 people that post regularly. Usually we'll get a couple of football parents in the spring or summer when their kids are freshmen, we've got a couple of guys who are much more heavily into basketball and comment a lot more during that portion of the year (which is good, because I'm much more of a football guy myself).

Unless the ad revenue completely dries up, I don't see our site going anywhere anytime soon (although even if it did, I think the core users would step up and be able to donate enough to keep the site running). I'm a web developer anyway, so the time I put into the site, I just treat as "honing my craft" a bit...keeping up on certain skills and technologies.

WestCoastAggie
February 17th, 2019, 12:06 PM
A&T's forum: bluedeathvalley.proboards.com

Catatonic
February 17th, 2019, 12:10 PM
ACU uses ProBoards as well. It is maintained by a couple of great guys and we have a fairly active small group of regular fans/alum, parents and occaisional others who just like to use it to keep up, etc... I don't know if larger FBS schools just don't have the intimate communities that smaller schools do. Our fans do a great job of discussing pretty much all the sports ACU has and we can usually keep each other more informed through our board than the school's athletic website. We also offer other discussions as well; just like here.

ACU Cat Chat has 394 members. Traffic is highest during football season but we have a few passionate followers for virtually every sport. For the most part we get along. Not a lot of trolling.

grizband
February 17th, 2019, 02:57 PM
With all due respect to the owner, who is a great guy, eGriz is probably 75% petty garbage and ****-flinging.
I miss the egriz of last decade...kind of like I miss the football teams of last decade.

UAalum72
February 17th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Albany's Big Purple Fans (http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=idx) forum, all sports, subforums by season.

geaux_sioux
February 17th, 2019, 05:32 PM
Our board has a really nice clean interface and is extremely mobile friendly.
https://forum.siouxsports.com

ElCid
February 17th, 2019, 05:40 PM
We have a pretty good one. I have lurked on it for years, but since someone there has the alias that I use here, I have never registered there. There are a few buttheads on it, but mostly good talk. Lot's of good inside info sometimes. Privately run. I have never paid for access to any site since I went on-line in 1993, nor will I ever pay for access to any site. But I do donate here by choice.

https://dogfan1987.websitetoolbox.com/?forum=70669

PAllen
February 17th, 2019, 06:34 PM
We have a pretty good one. I have lurked on it for years, but since someone there has the alias that I use here, I have never registered there. There are a few buttheads on it, but mostly good talk. Lot's of good inside info sometimes. Privately run. I have never paid for access to any site since I went on-line in 1993, nor will I ever pay for access to any site. But I do donate here by choice.

https://dogfan1987.websitetoolbox.com/?forum=70669

How about "TheRealElCid"

Daytripper
February 18th, 2019, 11:31 AM

I've participated in a couple of conversations on your forum in the past. Everybody was respectful and well-informed. Keep it up.

Bisonator
February 19th, 2019, 08:18 AM
Our board has a really nice clean interface and is extremely mobile friendly.
https://forum.siouxsports.com
When ya gonna change the name and get with the program? fawkers.com has a nice ring to it.

UNHWildcat18
February 19th, 2019, 09:23 AM
When ya gonna change the name and get with the program? fawkers.com has a nice ring to it.

Agreed, but admin should change his name to Gaylord IMO

ElCid
February 19th, 2019, 09:51 AM
How about "TheRealElCid"

Hmmm. Maybe:D

grayghost06
February 19th, 2019, 08:33 PM

DFW, I'm curious of your opinion on the layout of message boards like The Sabre. I never understood the appeal of a string of one sentence responses. There is never any in depth discussion on any points or topic. I'm sure there must be reason but I just don't see it. Maybe I'm missing something though.

ALPHAGRIZ1
February 20th, 2019, 11:05 PM
I cant speak as of late about eGriz but its been a serious POS since paytonlives started being a mod there. Its sucked since 2009 so I can only imagine what its like now

The Boogie Down
February 21st, 2019, 04:03 PM
I never understood the appeal of a string of one sentence responses. There is never any in depth discussion on any points or topic. I'm sure there must be reason but I just don't see it. Maybe I'm missing something though.

The Helmet Project has a Voy forum like that. It's so retro-chic I only check it out via AOL while cranking up the ol' desktop.

Redbird 4th & short
February 21st, 2019, 05:21 PM
I cant speak as of late about eGriz but its been a serious POS since paytonlives started being a mod there. Its sucked since 2009 so I can only imagine what its like now
on ISUr Redbird Forum, our moderator took over a few years ago. He has done a great job managing it, but admitted he struggles to keep the basketball forum from erupting into sh-t shows on regular basis. Part of that is the direct result of how inconsistent the basketball program is on the court, plus all the player turnover .. just gotten toxic. Part of it is also the quality of MVC bball has really deteriorated with defections of Creighton and Wichita St. Football forum is a much more positive forum experience .. even though our football team also struggles with consistency .. at least on offense.

Guessing main difference for us is basketball is viewed as on the decline and football is viewed as on the rise.

The interesting thing though is Spack turned a 3-8 team into 6-5 team in 2009 and 2010. Then got us to playoffs in 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016 .... and IMO (and others) 2011 should have been a playoff season. But since 2015, we've had 3 straight 6-5 seasons .... no better than his first 2 years in 2009. But clearly, there is huge difference competitively between going 6-5 in 2009 and doing same in last 3 years. We are always in the top 20 discussion the last 3 years even while going 6-5 .. not at all the case back in 2009 when Colonial was dominating FCS landscape, along with SoCon. So this may be why football is more positive ... that and the most frequent posters make a concerted effort to keep the sh-t shows to a minimum.

Can't be fun when boards go toxic.

ALPHAGRIZ1
February 21st, 2019, 06:02 PM
on ISUr Redbird Forum, our moderator took over a few years ago. He has done a great job managing it, but admitted he struggles to keep the basketball forum from erupting into sh-t shows on regular basis. Part of that is the direct result of how inconsistent the basketball program is on the court, plus all the player turnover .. just gotten toxic. Part of it is also the quality of MVC bball has really deteriorated with defections of Creighton and Wichita St. Football forum is a much more positive forum experience .. even though our football team also struggles with consistency .. at least on offense.

Guessing main difference for us is basketball is viewed as on the decline and football is viewed as on the rise.

The interesting thing though is Spack turned a 3-8 team into 6-5 team in 2009 and 2010. Then got us to playoffs in 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016 .... and IMO (and others) 2011 should have been a playoff season. But since 2015, we've had 3 straight 6-5 seasons .... no better than his first 2 years in 2009. But clearly, there is huge difference competitively between going 6-5 in 2009 and doing same in last 3 years. We are always in the top 20 discussion the last 3 years even while going 6-5 .. not at all the case back in 2009 when Colonial was dominating FCS landscape, along with SoCon. So this may be why football is more positive ... that and the most frequent posters make a concerted effort to keep the sh-t shows to a minimum.

Can't be fun when boards go toxic.

Paytons problem is he cant be neutral he moderates by his politics and who he likes on the board and who he doesnt. He dictates what can be talked about and what cant

ST_Lawson
February 21st, 2019, 07:03 PM
he struggles to keep the basketball forum from erupting into sh-t shows on regular basis. Part of that is the direct result of how inconsistent the basketball program is on the court, plus all the player turnover

It's easier when your basketball team just consistently sucks.

100%GRIZ
February 22nd, 2019, 09:12 AM
I must admit that it is much better without that Alphie guy on there!

The Boogie Down
February 22nd, 2019, 04:12 PM

One would think... Somehow though, after 25 years of mostly suck, Fordham's board got so toxic, the mod just decided to close up shop. Maybe the replacement one is better but the original was years-and-years of repetitive crap. A battle between "cheerleaders" and in-house "trolls" featuring mind-numbing stupidity from both sides at every turn. Thankfully most of it was contained to hoops and, except for Breiner's last season, neither side bothered all that much with football. Still tiresome nonetheless. At one point I started believing that my fellow alums were the absolute worst fans in sport.

THEN,,, at first almost by accident, I visited an opposing team's board! From people threatening to throw down at tailgates, to calling each other out on how much certain members donate each year, to verbally attacking not just their own players, but the parents of these players,,, whoaaaa! Afterwards I lurked on other opposing team boards (never once posted or trolled at any of these places) and realized my school's forum, although still plenty bad, wasn't exactly the worst thing in the world.

So that got me thinking about this place... Why sooo much less drama here than at school specific message boards? Better mods? Posters with less emotional investment? Posters who are generally more knowledgeable about the entire FCS landscape (and thus more polite) than those going on tirades about their own respective schools? Posters who are generally more knowledgeable about the entire FCS landscape and thus too smart to get caught up in silly crap? Other, non-sports related topics offered here to get the anger out? Maybe all of the above?

I dunno, but for the most part it seems to have worked out. Yeah, I've heard "World" had a pretty epic meltdown before getting the boot. I've heard about others too. Generally speaking though, I think most here come waaay more correct than at their "home" boards. Which, on paper at least, is not what one would expect when putting sooo many different rivals together on one board. Funny though how the place for rivals turned out cool while all these different school specific message boards (where one would think everyone is pretty much on the same page) have turned to crap. In fact, I'd bet all the people complaining about their respective school message boards have little complaints about this place so at least that's cool.

Redbird 4th & short
February 22nd, 2019, 05:18 PM
Paytons problem is he cant be neutral he moderates by his politics and who he likes on the board and who he doesnt. He dictates what can be talked about and what cant

It's ok to dictate how to not stray into politics and religion and deeply personal attacks ... but beyond that, the moderator should be a like a great referee .. not noticed unless sh-t hits the fan and game gest out of control. Montana has also slipped some in football stature from where they were ... guessing that hurts enthusiasm like our basketball board, and brings out the worst of posters.

Ursus does a good job of this ... though I've seen him lay it on a little heavy sometimes, but I don't walk in his shoes .. so I accept he has to be able to draw hard lines at times he thinks it's needed. Plus he knows the chronic trouble makers. I know I was viewed as one at times early on because of my defense of Spack .. but that was in fact largely why I started posting.

Hoping I'm in line for most improved, Ursus ??? xpeacex xnodx

Redbird 4th & short
February 22nd, 2019, 05:21 PM
One would think... Somehow though, after 25 years of mostly suck, Fordham's board got so toxic, the mod just decided to close up shop. Maybe the replacement one is better but the original was years-and-years of repetitive crap. A battle between "cheerleaders" and in-house "trolls" featuring mind-numbing stupidity from both sides at every turn. Thankfully most of it was contained to hoops and, except for Breiner's last season, neither side bothered all that much with football. Still tiresome nonetheless. At one point I started believing that my fellow alums were the absolute worst fans in sport.

THEN,,, at first almost by accident, I visited an opposing team's board! From people threatening to throw down at tailgates, to calling each other out on how much certain members donate each year, to verbally attacking not just their own players, but the parents of these players,,, whoaaaa! Afterwards I lurked on other opposing team boards (never once posted or trolled at any of these places) and realized my school's forum, although still plenty bad, wasn't exactly the worst thing in the world.

So that got me thinking about this place... Why sooo much less drama here than at school specific message boards? Better mods? Posters with less emotional investment? Posters who are generally more knowledgeable about the entire FCS landscape (and thus more polite) than those going on tirades about their own respective schools? Posters who are generally more knowledgeable about the entire FCS landscape and thus too smart to get caught up in silly crap? Other, non-sports related topics offered here to get the anger out? Maybe all of the above?

I dunno, but for the most part it seems to have worked out. Yeah, I've heard "World" had a pretty epic meltdown before getting the boot. I've heard about others too. Generally speaking though, I think most here come waaay more correct than at their "home" boards. Which, on paper at least, is not what one would expect when putting sooo many different rivals together on one board. Funny though how the place for rivals turned out cool while all these different school specific message boards (where one would think everyone is pretty much on the same page) have turned to crap. In fact, I'd bet all the people complaining about their respective school message boards have little complaints about this place so at least that's cool.
Answer is moderator Ursus .... you need to see him come down on someone when they go too far. It's no different than kids ... bad behavior must have real consequences.

edit ... unless he is all american RB !!!!

p.s. beat you to it clenz !!!

SCPALADIN
February 22nd, 2019, 09:25 PM
http://gopaladins.com/

The (somewhat) new and improved UFFP....still chugging away since 1996.

Redbird 4th & short
February 23rd, 2019, 09:30 AM
is there a reason you dragged my Chicago Bulls into this !!

:D

uni88
February 23rd, 2019, 09:57 AM

I dunno, but for the most part it seems to have worked out. Yeah, I've heard "World" had a pretty epic meltdown before getting the boot. I've heard about others too. Generally speaking though, I think most here come waaay more correct than at their "home" boards. Which, on paper at least, is not what one would expect when putting sooo many different rivals together on one board. Funny though how the place for rivals turned out cool while all these different school specific message boards (where one would think everyone is pretty much on the same page) have turned to crap. In fact, I'd bet all the people complaining about their respective school message boards have little complaints about this place so at least that's cool.This board did go through a bad time and lost some really good posters but the current owners have turned it around. There are times that it feels like Bisonville and if you write anything that isn't complimentary of the Bison the collective will get their hackles up interrupting their circle jerk and forcing them to take their hands off of each other's schmeckles long enough to virtually lynch the audacious poster. That can actually be entertaining.

Redbird you've come a long way and I'm glad you stuck around. I don't always agree with you but I do think you add a lot to the discussions and you make the board better.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
February 23rd, 2019, 12:42 PM
This board did go through a bad time and lost some really good posters but the current owners have turned it around. There are times that it feels like Bisonville and if you write anything that isn't complimentary of the Bison the collective will get their hackles up interrupting their circle jerk and forcing them to take their hands off of each other's schmeckles long enough to virtually lynch the audacious poster. That can actually be entertaining.

Redbird you've come a long way and I'm glad you stuck around. I don't always agree with you but I do think you add a lot to the discussions and you make the board better.

appreciate comment, I'm trying.

GAD
February 26th, 2019, 02:37 PM
This board did go through a bad time and lost some really good posters but the current owners have turned it around. There are times that it feels like Bisonville and if you write anything that isn't complimentary of the Bison the collective will get their hackles up interrupting their circle jerk and forcing them to take their hands off of each other's schmeckles long enough to virtually lynch the audacious poster. That can actually be entertaining.

This board lost a lot of posters during that time

Go Green
February 26th, 2019, 02:44 PM
The Voy Boards appear to be on life support. If they pull the plug, I expect some traffic (among others, the Ivy fans) to come here.

uni88
February 27th, 2019, 09:50 AM
This board lost a lot of posters during that timeUrsus was one of those posters so he remembers what it was like and works hard to be consistent and let us have freedom and fun without stepping over the line.

Redbird 4th & short
February 27th, 2019, 10:13 AM
Ursus was one of those posters so he remembers what it was like and works hard to be consistent and let us have freedom and fun without stepping over the line.

well that explains some things .. in a positive way

maine612
February 28th, 2019, 09:10 AM
http://www.mbr.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=229

This is the board where you find UMaine chatter for all sports. Individual football threads are added along with all other sports commentary. Morning routine is to visit MBR and then AGS, not necessarily in that order, with a cup of coffee.

Rjones61
February 28th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Kind of a random topic, but it's the off season and it's slow here, and this has bugged me for a while.

Why the hell do fan bases use premium message boards like rivals, where they are required to pay?

Schools like Montana, Montana State, UND, SDSU, NDSU, and many other FCS schools have quality message boards that are free. Why do so many FBS schools have fan bases that rely on message boards like rivals, where payment is required? And it seems like those message boards normally only have like 3-5 topics many of the time, like football, football recruiting, basketball, and off topic.

This is especially confusing because CSNBBS has a legit platform with the potential for any school to have an active and FREE message board. I think JMU uses this platform.

This bother anyone else? I can't think of a reason why it is so difficult to find a decent message boards for many FBS and P5 schools, that are free. You would think that a privatly owned website at a p5 school would get enough web traffic to be successful, especially since so many FCS schools do it, and do it better than Rivals and 247.

The whole Big Sky has links off www.bigskyfans.com (http://www.bigskyfans.com/). I think the Vandals pay a premium. I bet it's just laziness. You need to have a group of fans with enough motivation to create and run a new forum.

http://www.bigskyfans.com (http://www.bigskyfans.com/)

mvemjsunpx
March 3rd, 2019, 09:57 PM
The whole Big Sky has links off www.bigskyfans.com (http://www.bigskyfans.com/). I think the Vandals pay a premium. I bet it's just laziness. You need to have a group of fans with enough motivation to create and run a new forum.

http://www.bigskyfans.com (http://www.bigskyfans.com/)

Having that much soul-crushing depression in one place is expensive. xcoffeex

etiger
March 10th, 2019, 07:50 AM
here is the Towson University Sport forum

http://www.towsonfans.com/

dbackjon
March 13th, 2019, 06:16 PM

You don't say...

dbackjon
March 13th, 2019, 06:18 PM

If only there was another Griz site

ALPHAGRIZ1
March 13th, 2019, 06:23 PM
There is but its basically a pay site. I mean sight......

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Silenoz
March 14th, 2019, 12:48 PM
It boggles my mind. A full-time troll (who is terrible at it) placed in a position of power? Major whiff by Chris, or whoever. If we're gonna go in that direction at least get someone capable of pulling it off.

UNHWildcat18
March 14th, 2019, 01:22 PM

As a UNH fan, I feel that.

F'N Hawks
March 15th, 2019, 10:19 AM
As a UNH fan, I feel that.

cosign.

UNAPride
March 31st, 2019, 04:01 PM
We use ProBoards.

http://unapride.proboards.com/

NDSU1980
March 31st, 2019, 08:27 PM
What I hate are message boards that requote every post that has been quoted all the way up the line. Best is just requote the specific post you are responding to unless you use the muliquote feature. Sometimes you see posts that have 15 previous quotes in there. Ursus has a very good format here and it's much appreciated.

ElCid
April 1st, 2019, 06:51 AM
What I hate are message boards that requote every post that has been quoted all the way up the line. Best is just requote the specific post you are responding to unless you use the muliquote feature. Sometimes you see posts that have 15 previous quotes in there. Ursus has a very good format here and it's much appreciated.

Yup, I like the functionality here. I did message boards back in the day when those original ones came out in the mid 90s and they have come a long way. We should all be very happy here.

PAllen
April 1st, 2019, 10:06 PM
Agreed, this format is one of the best and Ursus and the gang do a pretty good job of keeping things reasonable.

Bisonoline
April 6th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Yep. The format here is very user friendly.

BucBisonAtLarge
April 7th, 2019, 05:52 PM
Bucknell has a well-used message board at (of course) basketball-u.com. For those of us waving the flag for Bison football it is a useful place to get a broader group alumni, parents and townies to read up on the football program.

gofurman
April 23rd, 2019, 10:44 PM
http://gopaladins.com/

The (somewhat) new and improved UFFP....still chugging away since 1996.

welcome Furman fans (and others) anytime !!! Good even-keeled discussion. No real azz hol stuff.

CHIP72
April 24th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Lehigh: https://www.lehighsportsforum.com/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=2e3747afc0e6af92c483791d24591e50

Lafayette: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/lafayettesports/

Both the Lehigh and Lafayette boards have a relatively small number of regular posters (I'm an infrequent reader/poster at both), and a handful of those regular posters also post here regularly (and for the most part, also here more frequently, especially the Lehigh fans).

I'm probably on more sports message boards (and general message boards that have sports pages, like city-forum.com) than most people on here, mainly because Division I-AA/FCS football isn't my primary college football interest (and college football is far from my primary sports interest). (I've never been shy about sharing my 2 cents.xlolx) The quality of the various boards I'm on really varies, as does the size of the user community. The pro sports boards I'm on or have been on, like the Philadelphia Eagles official message board on the Eagles' website, have tons and tons of posters, especially in-season. Quality-wise, they really run the gamut.

Regarding specific board, the free Temple message board at 247 Sports is not very good IMO because there are relatively few posters and some of them like to insult other posters, especially when there are discussions about the pros and cons of an on-campus stadium or about recently retired Temple head basketball coach Fran Dunphy (and those discussions happen A LOT and often seep into many threads). Philaphans.com (a Philadelphia sports board that primarily focuses on baseball) is another board where some posters (two posters in particular come to mind) tend to ruin everything; I used to post there a lot in the aughts (2000s) but haven't posted there (and have only visited there 2-3 times) since about 2011. Boards like backshegoes.com (a Phillies message board I used to post at relatively regularly but rarely post at or visit now) is extremely snarky, and the stat geeks who run that board and think they know everything about baseball (and who I think are book smart but real life dumb) don't like when people like me suggest a mix of analytics and gut feeling is the preferred mix. The 506 Sports forum (the site that posts weekly NFL TV coverage maps) is, as you'd expect with a group of people who care about sports TV broadcasts, is very geeky (many of the regular posters there put me to shame, which is scary) and has a high percentage of know-it-alls, albeit many of those know-it-alls only act that way in their "specialty area", like Division I-A college football rankings or putting together league-wide NFL mock schedules before the actual schedule is released in April. It is a fairly civilized board however, in many ways like this board. There are a handful of other boards I'm on periodically or used to be on that I haven't mentioned; most of them are relatively good if they have sufficient poster traffic.