PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota State DC Clint Brown Will Reportedly Become The DC At Abilene Christian

Wildcat1997
February 12th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Several people in the know at ACU and SDSU have said that's what they've heard. Plus add in the fact he's following ACU coaches on Twitter and he's been removed from the roster page for SDSU football and that pretty much confirms it

IBleedYellow
February 12th, 2019, 10:42 AM
Does he have a Texas connection, or what?

Wildcat1997
February 12th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Does he have a Texas connection, or what?No he doesn't. The only connection I see is that our HC is from Missouri and coach Brown is from Nebraska so there is a midwest connection.

Laker
February 12th, 2019, 10:59 AM
There must be a money difference. I don't see any other reason.

Outsider1
February 12th, 2019, 11:08 AM
There must be a money difference. I don't see any other reason.

Maybe a new challenge? I honestly don't know any of the financials. When Dorrel came to us it was a move from DII to DI, but a huge part of it was his desire to be challenged in a new environment.

WeAreThePride
February 12th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Why? Can ACU pay more than the Bunnies?

Outsider1
February 12th, 2019, 11:10 AM
At this point the announcement hasn't actually been made yet.

WeAreThePride
February 12th, 2019, 11:11 AM
And he doesn't even have to face Easton Stick twice a year anymore. Maybe he's scared of Trey Lance, and wants to get out early.

Outsider1
February 12th, 2019, 11:13 AM
https://ktxs.com/sports/college-sports/acu-football-hires-new-defensive-coordinator

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I guess it is official....

Wildcat1997
February 12th, 2019, 11:14 AM
Can any SDSU fans tell us what to expect?

POD Knows
February 12th, 2019, 11:31 AM
https://ktxs.com/sports/college-sports/acu-football-hires-new-defensive-coordinator

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I guess it is official....Maybe he got sick of the weather up here.

CappinHard
February 12th, 2019, 11:58 AM
And he doesn't even have to face Easton Stick twice a year anymore. Maybe he's scared of Trey Lance, and wants to get out early.

Yes... that's it... I was scratching my head on this move, but you nailed it. I forgot that the world revolves around the Bison.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3rjR9gi8BprC53cxS0/giphy.gif

WeAreThePride
February 12th, 2019, 12:00 PM
Yes... that's it... I was scratching my head on this move, but you nailed it. I forgot that the world revolves around the Bison.

Certainly not the whole world, but the FCS world yes. And in particular the MVFC.

RootinFerDukes
February 12th, 2019, 12:00 PM

A defense that isn't good enough to stop the Bison in the playoffs?

WeAreThePride
February 12th, 2019, 12:01 PM
To be fair, that's true of all defensive coordinators but one this decade.

CappinHard
February 12th, 2019, 12:01 PM

Well, he's ran a base 4-3 with CBs backed way off and rarely blitzed anyone. You could tell he was always concerned about giving up the big play and was more than willing to give up 12-15 yard plays in the middle of the field with the plan to force a FG in the red zone once he could use the back of the end zone as a defense against big plays. This works well when you have the athletes on defense that are smart enough and have the mental fortitude to be able to give up yards, but not points. There's a debate on whether or not his vanilla defense is derived from Stig handcuffing him, or if that's just his m.o.... we'll see I guess.

POD Knows
February 12th, 2019, 12:06 PM
Well, he's ran a base 4-3 with CBs backed way off and rarely blitzed anyone. You could tell he was always concerned about giving up the big play and was more than willing to give up 12-15 yard plays in the middle of the field with the plan to force a FG in the red zone once he could use the back of the end zone as a defense against big plays. This works well when you have the athletes on defense that are smart enough and have the mental fortitude to be able to give up yards, but not points. There's a debate on whether or not his vanilla defense is derived from Stig handcuffing him, or if that's just his m.o.... we'll see I guess.
Was this a salary bump for him? I really don't understand this move unless there was a bump in salary or he likes to work where there are lower expectations. :D Sorry, ACU fans, it was low hanging fruit.

CappinHard
February 12th, 2019, 12:11 PM
Was this a salary bump for him? I really don't understand this move unless there was a bump in salary or he likes to work where there are lower expectations. :D Sorry, ACU fans, it was low hanging fruit.

I sure hope so... otherwise I have no idea why he's making this move. One thought is that with Stig signing his extension, our OC and DC figured they should move on because they want a HC job sooner than when Stig plans on leaving.

RootinFerDukes
February 12th, 2019, 12:14 PM
To be fair, that's true of all defensive coordinators but one this decade.

Bob Trott baby!

dewey
February 12th, 2019, 12:14 PM

Or the Dukes.

Dewey

Wildcat1997
February 12th, 2019, 12:19 PM
If he can help us get into a position to play the Bison or the Dukes in the playoffs I'd be happy.

RootinFerDukes
February 12th, 2019, 12:41 PM
If he can help us get into a position to play the Bison or the Dukes in the playoffs I'd be happy.

Or just make the playoffs period?

Wildcat1997
February 12th, 2019, 12:43 PM
Or just make the playoffs period?Yes that too

Professor Chaos
February 12th, 2019, 01:08 PM
I sure hope so... otherwise I have no idea why he's making this move. One thought is that with Stig signing his extension, our OC and DC figured they should move on because they want a HC job sooner than when Stig plans on leaving.
Wasn't there a lot of chatter amongst the SDSU fan base to see him canned? I got the feeling that Eidsness was seen as HC material but Brown was not by most who followed SDSU. Which, being a fan of NDSU where the OC is everyone's favorite punching bag, seemed quite strange. I wonder if Brown saw the writing on the wall that he wasn't going to be retained at some point in the near future???

Wildcat1997
February 12th, 2019, 01:14 PM
https://acusports.com/news/2019/2/12/football-acu-plucks-defensive-coordinator-from-south-dakota-state.aspx. He says he's leaving because he wants a new challenge and wants more experience under a new HC because he wants to be a HC some day.

Outsider1
February 12th, 2019, 01:32 PM
https://acusports.com/news/2019/2/12/football-acu-plucks-defensive-coordinator-from-south-dakota-state.aspx. He says he's leaving because he wants a new challenge and wants more experience under a new HC because he wants to be a HC some day.

Challenge was my first response. From Brown himself,

"There's never really a right time to move anywhere," Brown said of his decision to leave South Dakota State for ACU. "That was a hard discussion with the players at South Dakota State. But I felt like this was the best move for me for where I was in my coaching life. I believe I need a new challenge and to learn under a new head coach, especially since my goal is to one day be a head coach. I loved my time at South Dakota State, but this was a good time to get a new perspective."

Brown said the family atmosphere on the football coaching staff caught his eye right away during a January visit to Abilene.

"I loved my time at South Dakota State and leaving there has been and will continue to be hard on me and my family," Brown said. "But when my wife and I came down to visit Abilene and interview for the job, we were really struck by the family feel here on campus and that was a big deal for both of us."

RootinFerDukes
February 12th, 2019, 01:41 PM
AKA Stig won't GTFO fast enough.

walliver
February 12th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Challenge was my first response. From Brown himself,

"There's never really a right time to move anywhere," Brown said of his decision to leave South Dakota State for ACU. "That was a hard discussion with the players at South Dakota State. But I felt like this was the best move for me for where I was in my coaching life. I believe I need a new challenge and to learn under a new head coach, especially since my goal is to one day be a head coach. I loved my time at South Dakota State, but this was a good time to get a new perspective."

Brown said the family atmosphere on the football coaching staff caught his eye right away during a January visit to Abilene.

"I loved my time at South Dakota State and leaving there has been and will continue to be hard on me and my family," Brown said. "But when my wife and I came down to visit Abilene and interview for the job, we were really struck by the family feel here on campus and that was a big deal for both of us."

Translation: Wife said, "It's fricking cold in South Dakota - we're moving."

Outsider1
February 12th, 2019, 01:46 PM
Translation: Wife said, "It's fricking cold in South Dakota - we're moving."

LOL......

POD Knows
February 12th, 2019, 01:49 PM
LOL......What is the town of Abilene like, it has to be nicer than Brookings.

cx500d
February 12th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Pretty much the same thing except with lots of mesquite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POD Knows
February 12th, 2019, 02:23 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThe BBQ has got to be better.

Catatonic
February 12th, 2019, 02:24 PM
The BBQ has got to be better.

The Shed. Outstanding

POD Knows
February 12th, 2019, 02:29 PM
The Shed. OutstandingThere you go, it is already a better location than Brookings.

McNeese75
February 12th, 2019, 04:07 PM
I would think that is a very good hire.

ST_Lawson
February 12th, 2019, 04:27 PM

And 100k more people

Catatonic
February 12th, 2019, 04:36 PM
What is the town of Abilene like, it has to be nicer than Brookings.

Austin is famous for its Keep Austin Weird T Shirts. Abilene T’s read

https://abileneobserver.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/s5000601_medium-1.jpg?w=750

Outsider1
February 12th, 2019, 04:40 PM
There you go, it is already a better location than Brookings.

Abilene itself is not that physically attractive. We are between the Hill country and the high Plains. So, we mostly have mesquite and prickly pair with a few small hills and small oak/pecan. We get a lot of wind and dust. There are a few small and muddy lakes around but not like East Texas, North Texas or the Hill country. The city itself is about 130,000. The people are what make the place great. The Barbecue is an added bonus; lots of selection and pretty much all of it is good.

**What is nice is that we are within easy drive of several places: 1.5-3 hours to most anywhere in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, about 3.5 hours to Austin or San Antonio, about 6 hours from the beaches of Corpus, about 6-8 hours to the mountains of New Mexico, etc... So, you have shopping, swimming, skiing within easy reach if you need to get away for a little bit.**

CappinHard
February 12th, 2019, 04:44 PM
Wasn't there a lot of chatter amongst the SDSU fan base to see him canned? I got the feeling that Eidsness was seen as HC material but Brown was not by most who followed SDSU. Which, being a fan of NDSU where the OC is everyone's favorite punching bag, seemed quite strange. I wonder if Brown saw the writing on the wall that he wasn't going to be retained at some point in the near future???

Well... we wanted him canned because of the defense we have ran being too vanilla and very frustrating to watch at times. However, we have often wondered if it was Brown's play calling, or if he had been handcuffed by Stig. Judging by these quotes in the ACU write up... I would say he was handcuffed by Stig and that's the main reason he left:

"I believe I need a new challenge and to learn under a new head coach, especially since my goal is to one day be a head coach. I loved my time at South Dakota State, but this was a good time to get a new perspective."

Especially this one:

"I want our defense to be aggressive, but not over the top," Brown said of the style he will incorporate at ACU. "I would think that 30-40 percent of our game plan each week will involve some sort of pressure on the quarterback."

So, congrats NDSU... We won't be doing anything different to try to stop you until Stig is gone.

cx500d
February 12th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Abilene has several great songs.... Although I think the truth is a LOT closer to Dave Alvin's song, than George Hamilton's (George Hamilton must have been on LSD) . That said, I guarantee there are NO songs about Brookings (except maybe Highway to Hell, where they changed "Brookings" to "Hell" so it wasn't so obvious)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8C7v3v_NrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu4XsZo005I

McNeese75
February 12th, 2019, 08:00 PM
Abilene has several great songs.... Although I think the truth is a LOT closer to Dave Alvin's song, than George Hamilton's (George Hamilton must have been on LSD) . That said, I guarantee there are NO songs about Brookings (except maybe Highway to Hell, where they changed "Brookings" to "Hell" so it wasn't so obvious)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu4XsZo005I

Damn, I have never seen Dave Alvin without a beard and hat. I would have NEVER known him until I heard his voice.

McNeese75
February 12th, 2019, 08:06 PM
Three University football teams in Abilene as well.

cx500d
February 12th, 2019, 09:08 PM
Damn, I have never seen Dave Alvin without a beard and hat. I would have NEVER known him until I heard his voice.

I saw him at the Son's of Hermann Hall, a wonderful old wood frame honky tonk with old wood floors in Deep Ellum (downtown Dallas). Really liked him.

X-Factor
February 12th, 2019, 09:47 PM

I see CappinHard is out with his drama queen post of the year pretty early in 2019 ;-)

Thumper 76
February 13th, 2019, 11:46 AM
I’m of the opinion that both our OC and DC want a HC position sooner than later and jumped after the extension to Stig. Where they ended up jumping to tells you a lot about what side of the ball was better, by a lot. Brown might have gotten tired of catching hell for a defense that wasn’t really what he wanted to call as well if he was as handcuffed by Stig as he supposedly was.

Hopefully the new coach does some tweaks when it comes to aggressive play calling, but I doubt it with it being an inside hire.

CappinHard
February 13th, 2019, 12:10 PM
I’m of the opinion that both our OC and DC want a HC position sooner than later and jumped after the extension to Stig. Where they ended up jumping to tells you a lot about what side of the ball was better, by a lot. Brown might have gotten tired of catching hell for a defense that wasn’t really what he wanted to call as well if he was as handcuffed by Stig as he supposedly was.

Hopefully the new coach does some tweaks when it comes to aggressive play calling, but I doubt it with it being an inside hire.

I'm guessing Brown may have interviewed for HC jobs and teams were leary of what he has on tape, so he knew that if he wasn't going to get the HC job at SDSU any time soon, he needed to go elsewhere to put something different on tape before teams are going to hire him as HC. I wouldn't hire him as the DC for my team based on how SDSU plays defense, I know that.

The problem is, I'm afraid our administration may have picked the wrong horse. If they would have told Stig that it's time to be done and hired Brown or Eidsness as HC (or at least reduced Stig's role and power and hired one of them as assistant HC as a transition), we probably could have retained them both and seen our defense evolve into something that all of us want to see. Not to mention kept some continuity in a time where that would have been really nice to have. Granted, Stig is hiring both positions internally, so we will keep some continuity, but when both coordinators change, it can be difficult.

POD Knows
February 13th, 2019, 12:17 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu4XsZo005IThe Dave Alvin song is pretty good, I had honestly never heard it before.

Kemo
February 13th, 2019, 04:21 PM

I feel the "Stig handcuffed Brown" narrative has some legs, so I have sympathy for Clint in that regard.

However, my biggest complaint with Brown was his inability to develop edge rushers, which was his position group. Since Danny Batten graduated in 2009, pretty much every off-season the coaching staff mentions "getting to the QB" as a point of emphasis, and yet once the season comes around, we have a sub par pass rush again. A decade long drought in that category is on the coach, not the players, especially with a program that brings in enough talented to make 8 consecutive playoff appearances.

My hope is that Coach Stig loosens the leash for the new DC (likely an internal hire), but more importantly hires a DE coach who can develop pass rushers.

cx500d
February 13th, 2019, 05:51 PM
The Dave Alvin song is pretty good, I had honestly never heard it before.

I posted my favorite Dave Alvin tune in the "What are you listening too" thread. Its a pussy-whipped killin' tune.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?22688-What-are-you-listening-to-now&p=2751784&viewfull=1#post2751784

Herder
February 15th, 2019, 10:31 AM
I feel the "Stig handcuffed Brown" narrative has some legs, so I have sympathy for Clint in that regard.

However, my biggest complaint with Brown was his inability to develop edge rushers, which was his position group. Since Danny Batten graduated in 2009, pretty much every off-season the coaching staff mentions "getting to the QB" as a point of emphasis, and yet once the season comes around, we have a sub par pass rush again. A decade long drought in that category is on the coach, not the players, especially with a program that brings in enough talented to make 8 consecutive playoff appearances.

My hope is that Coach Stig loosens the leash for the new DC (likely an internal hire), but more importantly hires a DE coach who can develop pass rushers.

His philosophy seemed to be. . .
Rush? . . . They are coming at us, we’ll see you at the LOS.

Professor Chaos
February 15th, 2019, 02:47 PM
His philosophy seemed to be. . .
Rush? . . . They are coming at us, we’ll see you at the LOS.
This reminded me of that time SDSU decided to employ the "let's line up our D-line a good 1-2 yards off the ball downfield" strategy. There is a picture of that lineup pre-snap somewhere on here but I can't find it. Hopefully, for ACU's sake, Brown leaves that idea in his freezer in Brookings.

grizband
February 15th, 2019, 04:33 PM
Where did the SDSU Offensive Coordinator end up? Another FCS school?

Professor Chaos
February 15th, 2019, 05:23 PM
Where did the SDSU Offensive Coordinator end up? Another FCS school?
Northern Illinois (FBS)

Outsider1
February 18th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Since the initial hoopla, everything has gone quiet. I imagine that coach Brown is focusing on getting settled here and ready for Spring ball. I haven't heard anything for a while and haven't seen him around yet. Saw Dorrel at our opening baseball game the other day, but that was it.

CappinHard
February 26th, 2019, 04:36 PM
We decided to replace our DC internally with co-DCs... This should work well... it doesn't take a genius to know that every organization thrives when it has two leaders. Go ahead, name a country that doesn't have two presidents. A boat that sets sail without two captains. Where would Catholicism be without the popes?

https://gojacks.com/news/2019/2/26/football-staff-changes-announced.aspx

Thumper 76
February 26th, 2019, 05:02 PM
We decided to replace our DC internally with co-DCs... This should work well... it doesn't take a genius to know that every organization thrives when it has two leaders. Go ahead, name a country that doesn't have two presidents. A boat that sets sail without two captains. Where would Catholicism be without the popes?

I do not like this, lord I hope this works out.

cx500d
February 26th, 2019, 07:54 PM

They say a man with two watches never knows what time it is...I wonder if a corollary exists here somehow.

uni88
February 27th, 2019, 09:40 AM

https://gojacks.com/news/2019/2/26/football-staff-changes-announced.aspxDidn't Sparta have 2 Kings?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

CappinHard
February 27th, 2019, 09:45 AM

I'm dissapointed. I thought there would be some The Office fans on here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uTP_EaXLg0

POD Knows
February 27th, 2019, 10:37 AM

https://gojacks.com/news/2019/2/26/football-staff-changes-announced.aspxIt worked great on The Office when both Micheal and Jim were the managers, you know, big picture and operations. This sounds like a winning formula to me.

CappinHard
February 27th, 2019, 11:12 AM
It worked great on The Office when both Micheal and Jim were the managers, you know, big picture and operations. This sounds like a winning formula to me.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1Z02vuppxP1Pa/giphy.gif

BisonFan02
February 27th, 2019, 02:11 PM
Does this make Stig "The Lizard King"?

https://i.redd.it/v7tt0dbvnyc01.jpg

POD Knows
February 27th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Does this make Stig "The Lizard King"?

https://i.redd.it/v7tt0dbvnyc01.jpg
A better solution for SDSU would be if they had a defensive coordinator and an assistant to the DC and then they could hire an assistant for the assistant and that assistant would be the AADC and that spot could be filled by the DC so any information that would have to come up through the ranks would first go to the AADC who would be the actual DC thus saving another body in the layer of management.

Outsider1
February 27th, 2019, 04:12 PM
Meanwhile it is nice to see coach Brown in some shorts and T-shirt for Spring practice... Great weather...

Thumper 76
March 1st, 2019, 12:42 AM
Meanwhile it is nice to see coach Brown in some shorts and T-shirt for Spring practice... Great weather...

Yeah, was nicer to see him coaching in the semi final.

BisonFan02
March 1st, 2019, 01:13 AM
Yeah, was nicer to see him coaching in the semi final.

Spelled "would've been" wrong. :D

CappinHard
March 1st, 2019, 07:43 AM
Spelled "would've been" wrong. :D

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oriNYewgX5o0bBxLi/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c7936927a544934778acf3f

Outsider1
March 1st, 2019, 08:54 AM
LOL..... Well I don't think I expect him to be coaching in the semi's in 2019 for us; not yet anyway.

BisonFan02
March 1st, 2019, 09:48 AM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oriNYewgX5o0bBxLi/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c7936927a544934778acf3f

Scoreboard said so. :D