PDA

View Full Version : Villanova to replace both coordinators

Gangtackle11
January 14th, 2019, 10:05 AM
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

OC Sam Venuto & DC Joe Trainer will not return next season.

MR. CHICKEN
January 14th, 2019, 10:09 AM
.....WHAAA'S WRONG WHIFF VENUTO...xconfusedx.....HIS O.......WAS DIZZYIN'....xtroublex.............LEAST.....IN NEWARK......:(........AWK!

Redbird 4th & short
January 14th, 2019, 10:15 AM
Good luck ... ISUr did same a year ago ... in fact overhauled our coaching staff (DC left for better job, the rest were fired): OC/QB, DC/DL, OL, WR, RB .. missing 1 more on defense.

- defense ... worked out very well on defense, finished very close 2nd to NDSU in most team stats; certainly helped that Spack was DC by trade (at Purdue), and had groomed outgoing DC and system.
- offense ... the jury still out on offense; inconsistent QB play, chronically poor field position in our losses (plenty blame to go around on this failing), plus our new OC's wife became stricken with cancer for 2nd time. And things just never came together on offense other than our run game. OL wasn't quite as good as we hoped either.

Derby City Duke
January 14th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Seems pretty late in the cycle to be firing coordinators unless the HC already has the replacements lined up (promote from within?). Position group coaches may be a bit easier to find at this point.

mvemjsunpx
January 14th, 2019, 11:41 AM
I can see why Nova would ditch the OC, but I'm not sure why they would want to get rid of the DC.

Lehigh'98
January 14th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Would love to have Trainer.

MR. CHICKEN
January 14th, 2019, 12:18 PM
...........'CAT'S.......REAL PROB....IS DUH FG KICKERS....UH LAST SEVERAL SEASONS........WHOM EVERAH....IS RECRUITIN'......DEESE MISFITS..........SHOOD BE DRAWIN'....DUH SHORT STRAW.....AWK!

RootinFerDukes
January 14th, 2019, 04:07 PM
...........'CAT'S.......REAL PROB....IS DUH FG KICKERS....UH LAST SEVERAL SEASONS........WHOM EVERAH....IS RECRUITIN'......DEESE MISFITS..........SHOOD BE DRAWIN'....DUH SHORT STRAW.....AWK!

IFF DEY.... MISFITS.... WHA DOS DAT....MAKE DA.... DIRTY BIRDS FOR LAST....SEVEN...AND TWELVE O' THIRTEEN... BRAWK!

Gangtackle11
January 14th, 2019, 04:10 PM
IFF DEY.... MISFITS.... WHA DOS DAT....MAKE DA.... DIRTY BIRDS FOR LAST....SEVEN...AND TWELVE O' THIRTEEN... BRAWK!

ERR.....CHICKEN SCRATCH.....WHOSE YER DADDY DIRTY FILTHY BIRDS?? ....BRR-ROCKO!!!!

KPSUL
January 14th, 2019, 06:42 PM
.....WHAAA'S WRONG WHIFF VENUTO...xconfusedx.....HIS O.......WAS DIZZYIN'....xtroublex.............LEAST.....IN NEWARK......:(........AWK!

He must have been just plain dizzy vs UNH. xconfusedxxbangx

WestCoastAggie
January 14th, 2019, 07:27 PM
This is a really interesting move especially with Villanova in some stiff competitions for some quality recruits. 👀

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2019, 07:33 PM
This is a really interesting move especially with Villanova in some stiff competitions for some quality recruits. 

Looks like The Hens are winning the recruiting battle.......

Noelly Miller WR is looking like a good get for the Hens

Delaware, James Madison, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Towson, Villanova, William & Mary, Holy Cross, Bucknell, Fordham, Georgetown, Syracuse, Boston College, Howard, Liberty, Harvard, Albany, Monmouth, Dartmouth, Sacred Heart, Robert Morris, Bryant, Old Dominion

Gangtackle11
January 15th, 2019, 04:57 AM
This is a really interesting move especially with Villanova in some stiff competitions for some quality recruits. 

The right recruit will value the total package of football, education, & alumni networking opportunities that Nova offers. The 2 coordinators let go aren’t going to mean much in making the decision to come or not come to Nova. The right recruit gets it. The wrong one can go some place else.

Venuto wasnt a strong recruiter anyway. Trainer was a good recruiter. Neither is a huge loss on game day except when coaching against Delaware. xlolx Nova needs to get young energetic coaches who connect with today’s players if they want to compete in the CAA. Ferrante needed to shake things up after 2 dismal 5-6 seasons.

Besides, Nova already has 2/3 of its recruiting class signed anyway. xpeacex

centraljerseycat
January 15th, 2019, 08:47 AM
Wow! That was unexpected but very good news indeed. Love to see the Cats steal Drew Folmar from Elon as new O coordinator but probably won't pay enough.

ngineer
January 15th, 2019, 01:06 PM
With this 'disruption' maybe we have a shot this September 7. If I recall, we beat 'nova in Coen's first season.

Go...gate
January 15th, 2019, 05:10 PM
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

OC Sam Venuto & DC Joe Trainer will not return next season.

I believe Trainer coached at Colgate at one time.

Gangtackle11
January 15th, 2019, 08:34 PM
With this 'disruption' maybe we have a shot this September 7. If I recall, we beat 'nova in Coen's first season.

Maybe, but I wouldnt mortgage the farm because there was a big difference in the level of athlete u guys put on the field last season. Slow DBs have trouble with even an average CAA team usually. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
January 15th, 2019, 08:37 PM
I believe Trainer coached at Colgate at one time.

Hes there for the taking. Good position coach, good recruiter, meh coordinator & Head Coach previously & URI & Millersville. xpeacex

whoanellie
January 16th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Stay in your lane, Bro!
Wow! That was unexpected but very good news indeed. Love to see the Cats steal Drew Folmar from Elon as new O coordinator but probably won't pay enough.

Pards Rule
January 16th, 2019, 04:21 PM
One of them to Bucknell?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 16th, 2019, 06:37 PM
Maybe, but I wouldnt mortgage the farm because there was a big difference in the level of athlete u guys put on the field last season. Slow DBs have trouble with even an average CAA team usually. xpeacex

Lehigh had their chances in '16 and '17. Last year was a lost cause from the get go with Coen's health situation/staff strain. Lehigh has athletes in the secondary. They lack talent along the front 7 on defense. Like 'Nova will get Temple every so often Lehigh will do the same to 'Nova. Unless 'Nova is vastly improved I expect this years game to be more in line with the games two and three years ago.

'Nova has really dominated UD and Lehigh over the last 10-15 years. I think both fan bases are sick of it....

Gangtackle11
January 16th, 2019, 09:28 PM
Lehigh had their chances in '16 and '17. Last year was a lost cause from the get go with Coen's health situation/staff strain. Lehigh has athletes in the secondary. They lack talent along the front 7 on defense. Like 'Nova will get Temple every so often Lehigh will do the same to 'Nova. Unless 'Nova is vastly improved I expect this years game to be more in line with the games two and three years ago.

'Nova has really dominated UD and Lehigh over the last 10-15 years. I think both fan bases are sick of it....

No Mayes. No Brags.

Maybe. I doubt it, but maybe. xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 16th, 2019, 09:38 PM
No Mayes. No Brags.

Maybe. I doubt it, but maybe. xpeacex

They learned last year what playing against Nova without Brags is about. Allen will be more prepared. Lifeout Mayes will be fine. Qb's are never an issue.

Comes down to Gilmore's ability to clean things up and get the defense in the top half of FCS.

Lehigh has had FCS success with 6 different coaches. Villanova has it with one. This is a much bigger year for Nova football than it is Lehigh imo.

Both need to get better. Outside of the head 2 heads the 2010s have been about equal for Lehigh and Nova. Slight edge two Nova overall. Lots of ups and downs.

Gangtackle11
January 17th, 2019, 06:55 AM
They learned last year what playing against Nova without Brags is about. Allen will be more prepared. Lifeout Mayes will be fine. Qb's are never an issue.

Comes down to Gilmore's ability to clean things up and get the defense in the top half of FCS.

Lehigh has had FCS success with 6 different coaches. Villanova has it with one. This is a much bigger year for Nova football than it is Lehigh imo.

Both need to get better. Outside of the head 2 heads the 2010s have been about equal for Lehigh and Nova. Slight edge two Nova overall. Lots of ups and downs.

No doubt a bigger year for Nova as Ferrante is skating on some thin ice. A loss to Lehigh will indicate early that his lifespan here will be short. Some of the games have been close, but in the end Lehigh has 1 win in 2000s & a few moral victories.

Villanova has better athletes & they should playing in the CAA. 9 months to the game, but I follow both programs closely & don’t see Lehigh winning. Nova has been borderline awful the past 2 seasons under Ferrante except playing the PL on our schedule. Lafayette & Bucknell were undermanned & Lehigh wasn’t much better last season. Nova is something like 38-4 in the 2000s against PL teams.

You may have a Qb like u say, but your WRs aren’t Pelletier or Gatlin & Brags was one of the best your league has seen in decades.

Puncher’s chance at best. Nova is more talented even at 5-6 in the CAA. You can have a moral victory & say it was a close game. . See you 9/7/19 on the Main Line xpeacex

caribbeanhen
January 19th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Looks like The Hens are winning the recruiting battle.......

Noelly Miller WR is looking like a good get for the Hens

Delaware, James Madison, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Towson, Villanova, William & Mary, Holy Cross, Bucknell, Fordham, Georgetown, Syracuse, Boston College, Howard, Liberty, Harvard, Albany, Monmouth, Dartmouth, Sacred Heart, Robert Morris, Bryant, Old Dominion

confirmed a Hen.... Nova a close second.... the cycle is turning everywhere but on the field GT, That has to turn to Hens in 2019....xpeacex

Gangtackle11
January 19th, 2019, 07:07 PM
confirmed a Hen.... Nova a close second.... the cycle is turning everywhere but on the field GT, That has to turn to Hens in 2019....xpeacex

The Wildcat 8 Ball says “doubtful” xpeacex