PDA

View Full Version : Hampton Draft Hopes Rise

TexasTerror
April 9th, 2007, 10:15 PM
This is the premiere NFL talent producing institution in all of FCS and arguably compared to most of the world of college football. Something is going right there. Still hoping Jerome Mathis of the Texans pans out, but that's another story...

As N.F.L. Draft Nears, Hopes Rise
By CLIFTON BROWN
Published: April 10, 2007

Hampton University is attracting attention like never before as teams prepare for the National Football League draft.

Five Hampton players were among the 325 athletes invited to the N.F.L. combine in February, the most from a non-Division I-A program since the scouting event began in 1984. The Pirates’ top prospect in the draft (April 28-29) is linebacker Justin Durant, a potential second-round pick who ran a 4.56 40-yard dash, third fastest for his position.

Durant said he was proud to learn that Hampton, which plays Division I-AA football and is on Virginia’s Eastern shore, had more players at the combine than major Division I programs like Southern California (four) and Wisconsin (two). Like many players from smaller colleges, Durant says he has something extra to prove.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/10/sports/football/10hampton.html

smallcollegefbfan
April 10th, 2007, 07:57 PM
From what I have seen they have a DE Kendall Langford who might go even higher than Durant. Hampton is becoming a major pipeline to the NFL. Congrats Pirates!

jmuroller
April 11th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Whats the problem down in Hampton? They have all this NFL talent and have done nothing in the playoffs? I would seriously question the coaching if you have all this talent and can't even win ONE playoff game. Hopefully this will change next year.

813Jag
April 11th, 2007, 10:12 AM
They're building a strong program at Hampton. They've come a long way since their jump from D-IIxthumbsupx