PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Megathread: 2019 Edition

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

skinny_uncle
November 19th, 2019, 11:19 AM
No clue on the exact number but it would've been less than what showed up inside.

So unless SIU makes it in every MVFC playoff team will be starting a freshman at QB in their playoff game(s).
And the Saluki QB is a backup who didn't start until Stone Labanowitz got hurt in week 3.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Serious question for bison fans, how many people do you guys think would have actually been at this game had it been played outdoors?

I actually wish the game was outside! Walking into the Dome felt weird given the fact it was a reasonably decent day out. This is the second NDSU game in November I attended that had nice weather. I know the weather can really swing this time of year but on average it's really not bad. There's no doubt in my mind an outdoor stadium would work in Fargo from Labor Day to Thanksgiving. The issue is when the bottom drops out during the playoffs in December. If the Bison are FBS that's not much of an issue.

CappinHard
November 19th, 2019, 02:29 PM
I actually wish the game was outside! Walking into the Dome felt weird given the fact it was a reasonably decent day out. This is the second NDSU game in November I attended that had nice weather. I know the weather can really swing this time of year but on average it's really not bad. There's no doubt in my mind an outdoor stadium would work in Fargo from Labor Day to Thanksgiving. The issue is when the bottom drops out during the playoffs in December. If the Bison are FBS that's not much of an issue.

Brings up an interesting question... IF NDSU had an invite, but it was dependent on them building a bigger stadium, would NDSU be willing to build an outdoor stadium with the required capacity?

Thumper 76
November 19th, 2019, 03:36 PM
No clue on the exact number but it would've been less than what showed up inside.

So unless SIU makes it in every MVFC playoff team will be starting a freshman at QB in their playoff game(s).
It’s just a curious question for me with the amount of Hell SDSU gets from ndsu fans (justifiably) for our attendance. Based off these eyeball estimates it kinda feels like if the game was outside the attendance for both teams wouldn’t have been that dissimilar. Difference being SDSU had a major season deciding game and ndsu played the worst team in the conference.

It’s kind of an odd feel to watch a game there anyways to me. But it works for them and SDSU honestly should have gone with a indoor stadium for late season playoff games in retrospect. But it is what it is. I sincerely enjoy my personal experience at outdoor games far more even if it’s frigid, snowy, and blowing. Those are usually my favorite and most memorable games to attend.

Brings up an interesting question... IF NDSU had an invite, but it was dependent on them building a bigger stadium, would NDSU be willing to build an outdoor stadium with the required capacity?

xlolx Once a dome always a dome. Their fans would not have it in them to sit outside in the end of November. xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POD Knows
November 19th, 2019, 06:59 PM
I actually wish the game was outside! Walking into the Dome felt weird given the fact it was a reasonably decent day out. This is the second NDSU game in November I attended that had nice weather. I know the weather can really swing this time of year but on average it's really not bad. There's no doubt in my mind an outdoor stadium would work in Fargo from Labor Day to Thanksgiving. The issue is when the bottom drops out during the playoffs in December. If the Bison are FBS that's not much of an issue.LOL, we had multiple snow storms in October, no thanks on the outdoor stadium.

Bisonator
November 19th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Yeah an outdoor stadium will never fly, not after having a dome now. The wind and cold is absolutely brutal at times. Plus an indoor facility can be used year round for all kinds of events making it far more economical and practical. It's too bad they didn't stick with the original plan of 22,000 seats.

bonarae
November 19th, 2019, 08:15 PM
Meanwhile....

Jason Eck SDSU OC named FCS assistant of the year by the American Football Coaches Association.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20191119124021780584404&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Bisonator
November 19th, 2019, 08:23 PM
Meanwhile....

Jason Eck SDSU OC named FCS assistant of the year by the American Football Coaches Association.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20191119124021780584404&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS
What a richard.

Hammersmith
November 19th, 2019, 10:00 PM

If we built an outdoor stadium, we wouldn't need a new stadium. IOW, the attendance loss from going outside would put us right back to FD attendance numbers. A lot of cold and money for nothing.

CappinHard
November 19th, 2019, 10:59 PM
Heide is the guy. Gibbs won't be back this year. Heide has shown rapid growth and seems to get better with every play. Bigger issue for us might be Pierre Strong going down. Sounds like he has an MRI today.

FWIW, Stig says the injury to Pierre Strong is "not serious", which is a huge surprise and relief. Might have a chance to play 2nd round of playoffs. We need that bye badly. CJ Wilson (RB2) is still out for now too.

CappinHard
November 19th, 2019, 11:06 PM
Yeah an outdoor stadium will never fly, not after having a dome now. The wind and cold is absolutely brutal at times. Plus an indoor facility can be used year round for all kinds of events making it far more economical and practical. It's too bad they didn't stick with the original plan of 22,000 seats.

Good point. We'll never know in Brookings, but I just wish I knew what our attendance would be with an indoor stadium. Some people think the increase would have made up for the increase in cost. Others think it wouldn't move the needle enough, or much at all. At a minimum, I wish they would make the Dana like more of a soccer stadium, being fully enclosed (NE and NW corners filled in), and an overhang that would keep most of the wind out, plus give some protection from snow/rain.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2019, 11:38 PM
LOL, we had multiple snow storms in October, no thanks on the outdoor stadium.

It starts to snow in a lot of places in October. I don't think an outdoor stadium is practical for FCS. But would a 30k seat outdoor venue work in the right FBS conference? I definitely think it would.

It can get nasty in North Dakota on a dime no doubt. But, the law of averages say you can generally make it until mid to late November before the odds of dangerous weather increase.

JayJ79
November 20th, 2019, 07:10 AM
I don't think an outdoor stadium is practical for FCS.
Montana seems to do alright with an outdoor stadium in FCS

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2019, 07:11 AM
Montana seems to do alright with an outdoor stadium in FCS

Try getting butts in the seats in Fargo when it is -25 and 40 mph winds....xcoffeex

clenz
November 20th, 2019, 08:20 AM
It starts to snow in a lot of places in October. I don't think an outdoor stadium is practical for FCS. But would a 30k seat outdoor venue work in the right FBS conference? I definitely think it would.

It can get nasty in North Dakota on a dime no doubt. But, the law of averages say you can generally make it until mid to late November before the odds of dangerous weather increase.
You weren't there on October ****ing 11th like I was when the state of ND got shut down

Hell, I'm in Iowa and I have more snow than Fargo right now. We've had multiple instances of 5-6" snow events this year already.

This is going to get political...but...weather is shifting. Fall is gone. We got from Summer to winter in October now.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2019, 09:00 AM
You weren't there on October ****ing 11th like I was when the state of ND got shut down

Hell, I'm in Iowa and I have more snow than Fargo right now. We've had multiple instances of 5-6" snow events this year already.

This is going to get political...but...weather is shifting. Fall is gone. We got from Summer to winter in October now.

No it's not.

We've had 3 feet of snow for Xmas some years and 50 degrees for others.

Whatever....

Sycamore62
November 20th, 2019, 09:30 AM

On November 11, 1995 it snowed the prior evening and was 22 degrees with 30mph winds. It was the coldest day i have ever experienced including -15 last year.
On November 22, 1997 it started snowing when we were doing our Friday walk through practice. It continued to snow the entire trip to UNI where there was about a foot of snow on the ground/roof and was 22 degrees at kickoff.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2019, 09:54 AM
During the 32 game win streak for the Bison now, only 3 games have been by 1 score or less....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 20th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Try getting butts in the seats in Fargo when it is -25 and 40 mph winds....xcoffeex

That Montana-Coastal game a few years ago was crazy cold. The high that day in Missoula was right around -10 which is about as cold as it get for daylight hours. I know the daily high can get a little colder in Fargo but we're splitting hairs. I was trying to head back to Bozeman from Thanksgiving that year but my flights were cancelled two days due to the cold in the Northern part of the country and the ice storm in Texas. It can get crazy cold in Bozeman too.

The Fargo Dome is definitely unique and offers a great homefield advantage. I just firmly believe Bison football could return outside IF the right situation came along. Stars would have to align to make it worth while.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 20th, 2019, 10:02 AM
During the 32 game win streak for the Bison now, only 3 games have been by 1 score or less....

They don't have any serious competition in the MVFC at this point. There might be 1 or 2 other teams in all of FCS that can compete with the Bison.

The belief that NDSU's dominance would raise the bar in the MVFC/FCS sadly hasn't happened. If anything the gap is growing.

IBleedYellow
November 20th, 2019, 10:13 AM
They don't have any serious competition in the MVFC at this point. There might be 1 or 2 other teams in all of FCS that can compete with the Bison.

The belief that NDSU's dominance would raise the bar in the MVFC/FCS sadly hasn't happened. If anything the gap is growing.

It's starting to accelerate, too. Look at how young NDSU is this year during what was supposed to be our "down year."

Yote 53
November 20th, 2019, 10:13 AM

Freak weather has been happening throughout history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Armistice_Day_Blizzard

Jacks02
November 20th, 2019, 10:42 AM

For those wondering.

Sat, Jan 6
vs
https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/256.png&w=50&h=50 (https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/256/james-madison-dukes)James Madison (https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/256/james-madison-dukes)*

W17-13 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401004846)

Sat, Sep 29
vs
https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2571.png&w=50&h=50 (https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2571/south-dakota-state-jackrabbits)South Dakota State (https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2571/south-dakota-state-jackrabbits)

W21-17 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401029747)

Sat, Oct 26
@
https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2571.png&w=50&h=50 (https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2571/south-dakota-state-jackrabbits)South Dakota State (https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2571/south-dakota-state-jackrabbits)

W23-16 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401127279)

JayJ79
November 20th, 2019, 10:58 AM

time to kick them out xcoffeex
for the good of the subdivision

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2019, 11:22 AM

SDSU has raised their bar but they are the only one in the Valley.

NDSU/SDSU will be the top teams IMO for the future with a straggler here and there moving in to try and claim the top spot.

The next 3 years will be a battle between NDSU/SDSU for the Valley.

- - - Updated - - -

time to kick them out xcoffeex
for the good of the subdivision

Call Patty, see how it goes.....

CappinHard
November 20th, 2019, 11:42 AM

Hi, I would like to introduce you to SDSU. I believe we could be considered serious competition. Also, I believe that we have raised the bar. Thanks for your consideration.

TheKingpin28
November 20th, 2019, 11:55 AM

This is going to get political...but...weather is shifting. Fall is gone. We got from Summer to winter in October now.Damn near took an hour for me to get from Barnesville to Fargo Hotel on 94. Damn near thought I was going to go off the road that night.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

jacksfan29!
November 20th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Freak weather has been happening throughout history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Armistice_Day_Blizzard

Yote53 and I agree on something. The only difference in the weather today and 100 years ago, the 24 hour apocalyptic coverage of it.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2019, 12:44 PM
Yote53 and I agree on something. The only difference in the weather today and 100 years ago, the 24 hour apocalyptic coverage of it.
You mean weather guys didn't act like this in 1919???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sW8o6cAL4k

BisonFan02
November 23rd, 2019, 04:58 PM
Anyone else in the Valley interested in playing playoff level football?

cx500d
November 23rd, 2019, 04:59 PM
Anyone else in the Valley interested in playing playoff level football?
Certainly not SDSU or ill state

SUPharmacist
November 23rd, 2019, 05:02 PM
Weird day thats for sure.

cx500d
November 23rd, 2019, 05:05 PM
I thought Cade Johnson could have dove for that to at least make an attempt at a play

Schism55
November 23rd, 2019, 05:08 PM
Jacks lose, wooooow

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 05:08 PM
SDSU got cute with the laterals and lost the game.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 05:10 PM
Looks like we'll have to see if GFCC or SDSU outbid each other to play the 1st game at home with the winner going to Fargo. ****ing hell SDSU. Why couldn't you win this game?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 23rd, 2019, 05:11 PM
SDSU just can't elevate itself as a program. That's a brutal loss.

The MVFC and CAA are extremely meh this year outside of their dominant ruler, NDSU and JMU respectively. It's almost like the other programs are starting to give up...lol.

BisonFan02
SDSU is playing next weekend and is getting fed into Fargo.

JacksFan40
I’m tired of this crap. Stig is a terrible coach and today showed it, Nielsen out coached him in every way imaginable. 23 years and another wasted season despite having the nicest facilities, and an incredible roster. Injuries are not an excuse, USD is not good and SDSU should’ve beaten them no matter what.

Bison56
See you in a couple weeks SDSU.

TheKingpin28
Nielsen just secured his contract for next year.

cx500d
November 23rd, 2019, 05:12 PM
See you in a couple weeks SDSU.
They may not get a seed

Bison56
November 23rd, 2019, 05:13 PM
I thought Cade Johnson could have dove for that to at least make an attempt at a play

Thsts what I was thinking also.

JacksFan40
November 23rd, 2019, 05:13 PM
They may not get a seed
May not? We will not and we’ll go to Grand Forks in the first round and winner gets fed to NDSU.

Chalupa Batman
November 23rd, 2019, 05:14 PM
Looks like the Jacks may have blown the 4 seed with Sac. St. down 2 TD's to Davis

Bison56
November 23rd, 2019, 05:14 PM
May not? We will not and we’ll go to Grand Forks in the first round and winner gets fed to NDSU.

That's how I see it

BisonFan02
November 23rd, 2019, 05:15 PM

This.

JacksFan40
November 23rd, 2019, 05:17 PM
Looks like may have blown the 4 seed with Sac. St. down 2 TD's to Davis
Oh what difference does it make? Even if we got the 4 or 5 seed we’d still get fed to NDSU and lose. At least now the pain comes in the second round rather than the semis on national television. That’s if we beat UND.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 05:18 PM
Nielsen just secured his contract for next year.Yea, he almost choked the game away in the end, that pass on 3rd down was beyond stupid.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 05:19 PM
Yea, he almost choked the game away in the end, that pass on 3rd down was beyond stupid.

Take the sack, make them use TO. That pass was a dumb play.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 05:20 PM
I’m tired of this crap. Stig is a terrible coach and today showed it, Nielsen out coached him in every way imaginable. 23 years and another wasted season despite having the nicest facilities, and an incredible roster. Injuries are not an excuse, USD is not good and SDSU should’ve beaten them no matter what.USD sucks and that is a horrible loss, sorry to rub salt in it but it is what it is, your saving grace may be that virtually every top team is losing today.

SUPharmacist
November 23rd, 2019, 05:23 PM
I hope he and Stig are at those programs forever.

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2019, 05:26 PM
I don't think Illinois St and especially SDSU are out of the seeds for sure. Right now there's only 5 teams that I think are for sure seeded above them:

1. NDSU
2. JMU
3. Weber St
4. Montana St
5. Montana (and they certainly didn't look good today)

Big game in progress right now is UC Davis and Sac St. Davis currently leads 17-10. If Sac St loses that game those last 3 seeds are wide open.

After that you've got teams like UCA (9-3), Villanova (9-3), Monmouth (10-2), CCSU (11-1), Wofford (8-3), and Nicholls (8-4) vying for those last 2-3 seeds. SDSU is still sitting the best of the 3 MVFC teams IMO. I'd order them SDSU, UNI, then Illinois St. One of those teams almost has to get seeded. SDSU could easily still be the #7 or even the #6 still.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 23rd, 2019, 05:26 PM
I’m tired of this crap. Stig is a terrible coach and today showed it, Nielsen out coached him in every way imaginable. 23 years and another wasted season despite having the nicest facilities, and an incredible roster. Injuries are not an excuse, USD is not good and SDSU should’ve beaten them no matter what.

SDSU is clearly stuck as a program right now. Despite showing signs here and there they haven't been able to take the next step as a program. They definitely haven't emerged as a true rival to NDSU's throne.

JacksFan40
November 23rd, 2019, 05:29 PM
SDSU is clearly stuck as a program right now. Despite showing signs here and there they haven't been able to take the next step as a program. They definitely haven't emerged as a true rival to NDSU's throne.
We have everything we need to take NDSU’s throne. We have the training facilities, the stadium, and we certainly have the talent. We will never take that next step with Stig and that’s a fact and any SDSU fan who defends him is part of the problem.

mmiller_34
November 23rd, 2019, 05:31 PM
K we have also been decimated by injuries this year. If there was any year for the Yoties to beat us, it was this year.

This loss is what it is. I’m actually finally glad the “streak” is done so that weird pressure isn’t there anymore. While it sucks to lose out at a chance at a high seed. We are still in the playoffs. I stopped having high hopes for this team when Gibbs went down. 8-4 is about par for the course without our starting QB and our top two RBs.

We got to the playoffs. Now just go as far as we can. We are not a semi-final or maybe not even a quarterfinal team. So having a seed is kind of whatever. Especially when we have no home field advantage. This years team is better suited as a low end playoff team going away to other teams home field to play spoiler.

JacksFan40
November 23rd, 2019, 05:38 PM
K we have also been decimated by injuries this year. If there was any year for the Yoties to beat us, it was this year.

This loss is what it is. I’m actually finally glad the “streak” is done so that weird pressure isn’t there anymore. While it sucks to lose out at a chance at a high seed. We are still in the playoffs. I stopped having high hopes for this team when Gibbs went down. 8-4 is about par for the course without our starting QB and our top two RBs.

We got to the playoffs. Now just go as far as we can. We are not a semi-final or maybe not even a quarterfinal team. So having a seed is kind of whatever. Especially when we have no home field advantage. This years team is better suited as a low end playoff team going away to other teams home field to play spoiler.
Injuries mean crap when you lose to an abysmal team. Even with injuries we were far better then USD, but our coach is not better then Nielsen.

clenz
November 23rd, 2019, 05:42 PM
Official final MVFC standing for the potential MVFC playoff teams

NDSU 8-0
UNI 6-2
ISUr 5-3
SDSU 5-3
SIU 5-3

My official MVFC playoff prediction

SDSU plays UND next weekend. Winner to NDSU

ISUr plays SEMO. Winner to seed UNI

SIU plays APSU and goes to seed UCA

Only debate I have is if UNI is the 8 to get fed to Fargo (more regionalized and we know the committee loves that) or the 7 and goes to JMU and a second Big Sky take gets the 8 to keep them from going to Virginia

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 05:42 PM
I don't think Illinois St and especially SDSU are out of the seeds for sure. Right now there's only 5 teams that I think are for sure seeded above them:

1. NDSU
2. JMU
3. Weber St
4. Montana St
5. Montana (and they certainly didn't look good today)

Big game in progress right now is UC Davis and Sac St. Davis currently leads 17-10. If Sac St loses that game those last 3 seeds are wide open.

After that you've got teams like UCA (9-3), Villanova (9-3), Monmouth (10-2), CCSU (11-1), Wofford (8-3), and Nicholls (8-4) vying for those last 2-3 seeds. SDSU is still sitting the best of the 3 MVFC teams IMO. I'd order them SDSU, UNI, then Illinois St. One of those teams almost has to get seeded. SDSU could easily still be the #7 or even the #6 still.ISUr is absolutely out of the top 8, I might have UCA, Nova, Wofford, Sac State, CCSU ahead of both SDSU and ISRr, those are brutal losses

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2019, 05:54 PM
ISUr is absolutely out of the top 8, I might have UCA, Nova, Wofford, Sac State, CCSU ahead of both SDSU and ISRr, those are brutal losses
Both bad losses but ISUr was a lot worse than SDSU's IMO. ISUr was never even in that game. Wofford and Nova have questionable losses also also. Sac State has two non-D1 wins so if they lose to Davis they should be below SDSU and UNI IMO. I don't buy CCSU, I don't think they should be rewarded with a seed after not even attempting to schedule any good FCS teams OOC. UCA is the team I probably like the best in that group outside of Sac St if they win today.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 06:02 PM
Official final MVFC standing for the potential MVFC playoff teams

NDSU 8-0
UNI 6-2
ISUr 5-3
SDSU 5-3
SIU 5-3

My official MVFC playoff prediction

SDSU plays UND next weekend. Winner to NDSU

ISUr plays SEMO. Winner to seed UNI

SIU plays APSU and goes to seed UCA

Only debate I have is if UNI is the 8 to get fed to Fargo (more regionalized and we know the committee loves that) or the 7 and goes to JMU and a second Big Sky take gets the 8 to keep them from going to Virginia

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalkso that is what you get for being the number 1 seed, you get fed a quality team. no freaking thanks, send us the winner of the NEC/PL or somebody, the one seed should get the easiest first round opponent, I know that isn't how it works but it should. UND and SDSU will probably both be in the top 10 or 11 and they get sent to Fargo, **** that ****.

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2019, 06:08 PM
so that is what you get for being the number 1 seed, you get fed a quality team. no freaking thanks, send us the winner of the NEC/PL or somebody, the one seed should get the easiest first round opponent, I know that isn't how it works but it should. UND and SDSU will probably both be in the top 10 or 11 and they get sent to Fargo, **** that ****.
If SDSU is unseeded and UND is selected they'll be paired in the first round and fed into NDSU. You can book it. ;)

clenz
November 23rd, 2019, 06:10 PM
so that is what you get for being the number 1 seed, you get fed a quality team. no freaking thanks, send us the winner of the NEC/PL or somebody, the one seed should get the easiest first round opponent, I know that isn't how it works but it should. UND and SDSU will probably both be in the top 10 or 11 and they get sent to Fargo, **** that ****.I agree

A seeded uni gets one of ISUR SIU APSU or maybe UCA because if how regionalization works

Just dumb

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2019, 06:15 PM
I agree

A seeded uni gets one of ISUR SIU APSU or maybe UCA because if how regionalization works

Just dumb

FWIW UNI is just outside of 400 miles from NDSU so they're outside of bus distance. The committee would at least have a valid excuse to not cluster MVFC teams together in that instance. I think either UNI or SDSU will be seeded though so 4 MVFC teams will probably be clustered together regardless due to that 2nd seeded team.

Yote 53
November 23rd, 2019, 06:42 PM
Injuries mean crap when you lose to an abysmal team. Even with injuries we were far better then USD, but our coach is not better then Nielsen.

You sure about that? I was at the game. SDSU is not very good. Yotes owned you guys today, and we're not very good.

USD was getting pressure with 4-5 guys, dropping into coverage, and our defense isn't even good, it's actually been pathetic.

Offensively we kinda did what we wanted, but offense hasn't really been an issue at USD.

clenz
November 23rd, 2019, 06:46 PM
Oh. He is still alive.

mmiller_34
November 23rd, 2019, 07:18 PM
You sure about that? I was at the game. SDSU is not very good. Yotes owned you guys today, and we're not very good.

USD was getting pressure with 4-5 guys, dropping into coverage, and our defense isn't even good, it's actually been pathetic.

Offensively we kinda did what we wanted, but offense hasn't really been an issue at USD.

You’re not wrong. The Jacks played pretty uninspired. Hope they can play with the fire they are capable of in the playoffs.

This loss didn’t get me as upset as the Illinois State game. After that game it was clear we were merely an above average team. After we beat UNI and locked into the playoffs I was kind of expecting a poor performance vs USD. I was prepared for a loss, a win would have been nice, but a bonus at this point.

Yote 53
November 23rd, 2019, 07:33 PM
Oh. He is still alive.

If by alive you mean having posted in this exact thread before the game this week, yeah, alive.

ST_Lawson
November 23rd, 2019, 07:50 PM
To quote one of my favorite movies:
"Whut in the wide wide world a' sports is a' goin' on here!?"

Looks like the meat grinder kicked it into high gear today.

Sycamore62
November 23rd, 2019, 07:53 PM
Playing with NDSU was the only thing that I thought was impressive this year. I kept thinking they would prove they were better but without their starting QB Im not so sure

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 08:17 PM
Playing with NDSU was the only thing that I thought was impressive this year. I kept thinking they would prove they were better but without their starting QB Im not so sure

Zeb Noland would start at just about every other FCS school out there. Zeb has a better arm and better pocket presence, but he is not a mobile QB.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 08:40 PM
Zeb Noland would start at just about every other FCS school out there. Zeb has a better arm and better pocket presence, but he is not a mobile QB.Zeb Noland is the second best QB in the MVFC, not kidding and I doubt it is even debatable at this point in time.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 08:44 PM
Zeb Noland is the second best QB in the MVFC, not kidding and I doubt it is even debatable at this point in time.

That pass he made for about 30 yards was an absolute rocket and he hit him perfectly. I'd love to see him get more game time, but you can't tell Trey that he is not playing. I am just glad SDSU did not grab him. He would be starting there.

JacksFan40
November 23rd, 2019, 08:52 PM

Because our game plan was garbage. We proved we have a great team when we should’ve beat Minnesota and damn near beat NDSU. Problem is this team never comes to play outside of those games and UNI.

Sycamore62
November 23rd, 2019, 09:02 PM
Zeb Noland would start at just about every other FCS school out there. Zeb has a better arm and better pocket presence, but he is not a mobile QB.

Apparently I forgot to point out that the entire post was about my assessment of SDSU. neither NDSU QB matters in my post

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2019, 11:46 PM
Pretty cool moment in Youngstown earlier today when a couple teammates helped injured senior QB Nate Mays out to the field so he could take one more snap in his career.

https://es.pn/2QLKBFq via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

What a great gesture for a guy that has had some rotten luck with injuries in his career but has toughed it out more than anyone should ever have to. 3 weeks ago tonight he was on that turf with an ankle bent sideways... they don't make em much tougher than Nate Mays.

skinny_uncle
November 24th, 2019, 04:41 PM
As much as it stinks not getting in, good luck to the rest of the Valley.

Thumper 76
November 24th, 2019, 05:06 PM
Pretty cool moment in Youngstown earlier today when a couple teammates helped injured senior QB Nate Mays out to the field so he could take one more snap in his career.

https://es.pn/2QLKBFq via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

What a great gesture for a guy that has had some rotten luck with injuries in his career but has toughed it out more than anyone should ever have to. 3 weeks ago tonight he was on that turf with an ankle bent sideways... they don't make em much tougher than Nate Mays.

It’s a very cool move indeed.

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2019, 05:13 PM
As much as it stinks not getting in, good luck to the rest of the Valley.

I feel your pain

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2019, 07:19 AM
MVFC players and coach of the year announced today. Predictions?

I'll say...
OPOY: Trey Lance
DPOY: Ellerson Smith or Christian Rozeboom
COY: Nick Hill or Matt Entz
Freshman of the year: Trey Lance
Newcomer of the year: Trey Lance or Javon Williams Jr (to spread the love a bit - Williams has been fantastic for a freshman, probably a no brainer choice for freshman of the year most any other year)

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 27th, 2019, 08:17 AM
Coach will be Hill, IMO.

Rozeboom for defense
Lance for offense

TL could sweep the others also

ST_Lawson
November 27th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Coach will be Hill, IMO.

That's my thought too. Entz is great, but Hill has done more with less.

POD Knows
November 27th, 2019, 09:26 AM
OPOY: Trey Lance Lance or Robinson from ISUr, both had really good years,
DPOY: Ellerson Smith or Christian Rozeboom Rozeboom and it shouldn't be close, I watched UNI at least 4 times this year and Smith was invisible in each game, I also read on a different site that NDSU game planned to attack his side of the field because of a match up advantage we had there. I am just not impressed with him and he doesn't seem to perform well against decent teams.
COY: Nick Hill or Matt Entz Really tough call, Hill seems to have brought this team back from the dung heap but Entz guided a really young Bison team to an undefeated season. This is a toss up really
Freshman of the year: Trey Lance Yep
Newcomer of the year: Trey Lance or Javon Williams Jr (to spread the love a bit - Williams has been fantastic for a freshman, probably a no brainer choice for freshman of the year most any other year) ​Yep

clenz
November 27th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Weird that a guy with 13 sacks 18 TFL, 8 QBH, 3 PBU, a blocked kick and 5 force fumbles sucks...but...whatever i guess. (along with 8 sacks last year playing part time)

I mean sure, when you hit him with 2 guys every play his rush is slowed down. FWIW, his side wasn't really targeted in the NDSU. Also he isn't a run stopped DE so running at him probably isn't the worst plan anyway. In fact, I'd say running at him is smarter than running at Brinkman, Butcher and Thomas.

I wouldn't say he's DPOY just seems like a strange position to take.

rOzEbOoM HaD OnLy 5 tOtAl tAcKlEs vS UnI WiTh nO SaCkS, tFl, InT, pBu, QbU, oR Ff. He dIsApPeArS In bIg gAmEs

GTFO with that

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 27th, 2019, 10:08 AM
Rozeboom is the best defensive player in the Valley this year. He'll be playing in the NFL next year. Best sideline to sideline MLB I've seen in the Valley since NDSU has been in the league ( I've been watching).

POD Knows
November 27th, 2019, 11:27 AM
Weird that a guy with 13 sacks 18 TFL, 8 QBH, 3 PBU, a blocked kick and 5 force fumbles sucks...but...whatever i guess. (along with 8 sacks last year playing part time)

I mean sure, when you hit him with 2 guys every play his rush is slowed down. FWIW, his side wasn't really targeted in the NDSU. Also he isn't a run stopped DE so running at him probably isn't the worst plan anyway. In fact, I'd say running at him is smarter than running at Brinkman, Butcher and Thomas.

I wouldn't say he's DPOY just seems like a strange position to take.

rOzEbOoM HaD OnLy 5 tOtAl tAcKlEs vS UnI WiTh nO SaCkS, tFl, InT, pBu, QbU, oR Ff. He dIsApPeArS In bIg gAmEs

GTFO with that
Yea, whatever. So Smith doesn't play the run so he is pretty much a one dimensional DE, pretty tough duty. Sorry, I am just not that impressed with him, I watched him for awhile during the Bison game and a couple other games I viewed and just wasn't impressed. He is long and fairly quick but very light but he just didn't show me much. Rozeboom doesn't get sacks, and if that is the big stat for you then maybe only DE's (easiest position on the D to play) should be the only nominees for DPOY. I am partial to LB's as I feel that Olson and Rozeboom are the best defensive players in the country at this point. There may be other guys that I am not familiar with, so be it. I might rewatch the NDSU UNI game and watch line play only. Maybe my mind will be changed.

Oh, and Smith had one tackle and two assists against SDSU, blistering game. Not a lot of offensive plays in that game, both teams under 60. Smith did have a few tackles and one TFL against NDSU, don't remember it, it probably happened in garbage time. :D

UNI has had a lot of really, really good D players throughout the years, Smith just doesn't seem to be one the level with some of those guys. I will watch the playoff game against SD and see how it goes.

Lorne_Malvo
November 27th, 2019, 12:25 PM
MVFC players and coach of the year announced today. Predictions?

I'll say...
OPOY: Trey Lance
DPOY: Ellerson Smith or Christian Rozeboom
COY: Nick Hill or Matt Entz
Freshman of the year: Trey Lance
Newcomer of the year: Trey Lance or Javon Williams Jr (to spread the love a bit - Williams has been fantastic for a freshman, probably a no brainer choice for freshman of the year most any other year)

Justify Hill as COY over Entz.

UpstateBison
November 27th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Yea, whatever. So Smith doesn't play the run so he is pretty much a one dimensional DE, pretty tough duty. Sorry, I am just not that impressed with him, I watched him for awhile during the Bison game and a couple other games I viewed and just wasn't impressed. He is long and fairly quick but very light but he just didn't show me much. Rozeboom doesn't get sacks, and if that is the big stat for you then maybe only DE's (easiest position on the D to play) should be the only nominees for DPOY. I am partial to LB's as I feel that Olson and Rozeboom are the best defensive players in the country at this point. There may be other guys that I am not familiar with, so be it. I might rewatch the NDSU UNI game and watch line play only. Maybe my mind will be changed.

Oh, and Smith had one tackle and two assists against SDSU, blistering game. Not a lot of offensive plays in that game, both teams under 60. Smith did have a few tackles and one TFL against NDSU, don't remember it, it probably happened in garbage time. :D

UNI has had a lot of really, really good D players throughout the years, Smith just doesn't seem to be one the level with some of those guys. I will watch the playoff game against SD and see how it goes.

In Valley play, Smith has 34 tackles, 10 TFL’s and and 6 sacks. Did he play against Illinois State?

Tuszka has 28 tackles, 11.5 TFL’s and 7.5 sacks. He did not play against Missouri State.

Rozeboom should win it.

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Justify Hill as COY over Entz.
NDSU was picked to win the conference at the beginning of the year. SIU was picked to finish 9th.

Lorne_Malvo
November 27th, 2019, 12:40 PM
NDSU was picked to win the conference at the beginning of the year. SIU was picked to finish 9th.

Entz - 1st year HC. 0 losses
Hill - 3rd year HC. 5 losses

Are we voting based on facts or feelings?

TheKingpin28
November 27th, 2019, 12:44 PM

Are we voting based on facts or feelings?You take an absolute dumpster fire and turn them into a winning team in 3 years. The thing is, SIU has their stud RB and QB that can control the game. They will win the bottom feeder games and most likely upset one of the biggest schools next year. Nick Hill did something with absolutelynext to nothing. Stop being a homer and see through a neutral lens. I'd love to see Entz win it, but if you would have told me SIU would be 7-5 and take NDSU to the wire at the beginning on the season, I'd probably have laughed.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2019, 12:47 PM

I'd say anyone voting for Hill would be doing so based on the "fact" that his team exceeded preseason expectations by a greater margin than Entz's did. It is kid of unfair for Entz because he really couldn't exceed expectations (although going undefeated with all the new coaches and contributors is exceeding expectations as much as possible)… I think Entz along with most coaches would take that likely postseason award snubbing to be handed the keys to a Ferrari of a program like he was.

Sycamore62
November 27th, 2019, 01:06 PM
I think Jonas Griffith should be in the conversation for DPOY.

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Wow... NDSU sweeps the awards: https://valley-football.org/news/2019/11/27/missouri-valley-football-conference-announces-top-honors.aspx

Offensive Player of the Year: QB Trey Lance, North Dakota State
Defensive Player of the Year: DE Derrek Tuszka, North Dakota State
Newcomer of the Year: QB Trey Lance, North Dakota State
Freshman of the Year: QB Trey Lance, North Dakota State
'Bruce Craddock' MVFC Coach of the Year: Matt Entz, North Dakota State

Lorne_Malvo
November 27th, 2019, 01:16 PM
I'd say anyone voting for Hill would be doing so based on the "fact" that his team exceeded preseason expectations by a greater margin than Entz's did. It is kid of unfair for Entz because he really couldn't exceed expectations (although going undefeated with all the new coaches and contributors is exceeding expectations as much as possible)… I think Entz along with most coaches would take that likely postseason award snubbing to be handed the keys to a Ferrari of a program like he was.

Not being a homer at all. Last year doesnt mean anything to me. Entz was 0-0 last year as HC.
These are yearly awards and should be awarded to those who performed in the current year. 5 losses in not performing to "award" status.

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Not being a homer at all. Last year doesnt mean anything to me. Entz was 0-0 last year as HC.
These are yearly awards and should be awarded to those who performed in the current year. 5 losses in not performing to "award" status.
I don't agree. They could just award CotY to whichever coach's team wins the conference then. This stuff should be voted on/graded on a curve IMO.

In any case Entz won it... I thought Hill would win but there's no denying that what Entz has done this year has been supremely impressive given the turnover on his team and coaching staff. He earned it!

BisonFan02
November 27th, 2019, 01:22 PM
Wow.......shocked there.

Has that ever happened before?

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2019, 01:24 PM
Wow.......shocked there.

Has that ever happened before?
Not in the MVFC/Gateway... first time in the 35 year history of the conference that one school has swept the 5 major postseason awards. Although they do say that UNI won all 3 awards twice in 1985 and 1993 before they started the Freshman of the Year and Newcomer of the Year awards so that is kind of misleading (even though the conference tweeted out that 'NDSU is the first school to sweep the awards in the conference's 35 year history').

Trey Lance is also the first freshman in conference history to win OPotY.

POD Knows
November 27th, 2019, 05:33 PM
In Valley play, Smith has 34 tackles, 10 TFL’s and and 6 sacks. Did he play against Illinois State?

Tuszka has 28 tackles, 11.5 TFL’s and 7.5 sacks. He did not play against Missouri State.

Rozeboom should win it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYea, and Tuszka probably played half the snaps that Smith did. Well anyway, Tuszka wins the award, it is awesome that a Bison won the award but Rozeboom is the best D player in the conference. I hate the guy like the black death and I am glad he is gone next year but he got jammed on this award. Maybe the people that voted on this award know things we don't but he always seemed like the biggest impact player on the D side of the ball.

POD Knows
November 27th, 2019, 05:35 PM
Not in the MVFC/Gateway... first time in the 35 year history of the conference that one school has swept the 5 major postseason awards. Although they do say that UNI won all 3 awards twice in 1985 and 1993 before they started the Freshman of the Year and Newcomer of the Year awards so that is kind of misleading (even though the conference tweeted out that 'NDSU is the first school to sweep the awards in the conference's 35 year history').

Trey Lance is also the first freshman in conference history to win OPotY.Also, just for the record, these awards piled on one team is a conspiracy designed to bring down the Bison. This has never been a team that collected a lot of individual awards and this is meant to sow envy in the ranks. These awards will lead to the collapse of the Bison in the playoffs and on that you can make book #BOOKIT

Lorne_Malvo
November 30th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Did the MVFC give up a TD today? Just wondering.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 04:25 PM

No

Houndawg
November 30th, 2019, 04:36 PM

My sister could coach NDSU to an FCS NC.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 04:39 PM

Oh come on....xrolleyesx

NDSU had a new HC and both coordinators and lost 24 seniors. Hill was also deserving....both were.

Entz did a great job with this team considering how many starters were lost and the big turnover in coaching staff.

Houndawg
November 30th, 2019, 05:03 PM
Oh come on....xrolleyesx

NDSU had a new HC and both coordinators and lost 24 seniors. Hill was also deserving....both were.

Entz did a great job with this team considering how many starters were lost and the big turnover in coaching staff.

xrolleyesx

Green1
November 30th, 2019, 09:16 PM

I've met your sister and there is no way she could coach NDSU to an FCS NC.

Your mother on the other hand....

Houndawg
November 30th, 2019, 10:12 PM
I've met your sister and there is no way she could coach NDSU to an FCS NC.

Your mother on the other hand....

You must be "Shorty"!

Bisonoline
November 30th, 2019, 10:29 PM
Yea, and Tuszka probably played half the snaps that Smith did. Well anyway, Tuszka wins the award, it is awesome that a Bison won the award but Rozeboom is the best D player in the conference. I hate the guy like the black death and I am glad he is gone next year but he got jammed on this award. Maybe the people that voted on this award know things we don't but he always seemed like the biggest impact player on the D side of the ball.

He was a tad dirty. He didnt need to be he was a great player. May be that was a reason.

skinny_uncle
November 30th, 2019, 10:47 PM

Who was it that said this was a down year for the Valley? I'm not seeing it.

JacksFan40
November 30th, 2019, 10:50 PM

I guarantee you Entz wouldn’t be undefeated at SIU. Honestly I don’t think it matters who coaches NDSU anymore as long as they’re decent. It’s such a factory up there where it’s just reload year after year. No other team in CFB at any level can do it like NDSU, not even Alabama.

POD Knows
December 1st, 2019, 08:22 AM
He was a tad dirty. He didnt need to be he was a great player. May be that was a reason.He doesn't get the big sack or TFL numbers and that seems to the be the big key in getting the award. He is a little bit dirty and I am glad he didn't get the award but I think he probably deserved it. Weirdly enough, I don't think I ever heard his number called for any PF penalties, interesting.

X-Factor
December 1st, 2019, 08:48 AM
I guarantee you Entz wouldn’t be undefeated at SIU. Honestly I don’t think it matters who coaches NDSU anymore as long as they’re decent. It’s such a factory up there where it’s just reload year after year. No other team in CFB at any level can do it like NDSU, not even Alabama.

There could be some truth to that, but NDSU does have really good coaches. Probably the best in MVFC. Also, the athletic director and president have to be careful with hires. You can’t just bring in someone that wants to change things up and put their own stamp on things. I recall several years ago GSU hired a hot shot coach named Brian Van Gorder, changed things up, and they went into the tank for a few years before chasing him out of town with pitchforks. Another example: Bob Stitt. That should make Griz fans shudder

NDSU big donors need their pitchforks pointed at the “change up” candidates before they become coach.

Sycamore62
December 1st, 2019, 09:13 AM
On December 11 last year the MVFC could have just put out a press release that said “NDSU looking for next year’s coach of the year”

Bisonoline
December 1st, 2019, 08:42 PM

People said the same thing in the 80s. They have said it about LSU, TX, Alabama, OSU etc etc etc. It always ends. Thay all have dips.

Winterborn
December 2nd, 2019, 12:25 PM
People said the same thing in the 80s. They have said it about LSU, TX, Alabama, OSU etc etc etc. It always ends. Thay all have dips.

Very true.

The question is will it happen in our lifetime or not. :D

Sycamore62
December 2nd, 2019, 02:30 PM
Our beat writer reports that Ryan Boyle RS QB and Isiah Edwards RS OL are petitioning for medical redshirt 6th years. Edwards was injured more than the 30% limit and Boyle played 6 plays into the 4th game which is 33% of games but 27% of quarters so...

clenz
December 2nd, 2019, 02:52 PM
Our beat writer reports that Ryan Boyle RS QB and Isiah Edwards RS OL are petitioning for medical redshirt 6th years. Edwards was injured more than the 30% limit and Boyle played 6 plays into the 4th game which is 33% of games but 27% of quarters so...
It will be interesting to see what they do with Boyle

He took a voluntary redshirt as a freshman at Iowa. By rule a medical is only allowed if you missed 2 seasons due to injury. Once you take a voluntary red-shirt you aren't supposed to be allowed a medical.

The rule is technically games, not quarters. Once you play your 4th game at all you have played in more games allowed by the NCAA for the medical red-shirt.

The NCAA got real loose with waivers and what not recently, but have started to tighten back up just a bit.

I feel I'm missing a year with Edwards. He was a 2015 HS grad. 2 at ISUb (18 and 19), 2 years at Indy (17 and I'm assuming 16). Where was he in 2015?

Sycamore62
December 2nd, 2019, 02:58 PM
It will be interesting to see what they do with Boyle

He took a voluntary redshirt as a freshman at Iowa. By rule a medical is only allowed if you missed 2 seasons due to injury. Once you take a voluntary red-shirt you aren't supposed to be allowed a medical.

The rule is technically games, not quarters. Once you play your 4th game at all you have played in more games allowed by the NCAA for the medical red-shirt.

The NCAA got real lose with waivers and what not recently, but have started to tighten back up just a bit.

I feel I'm missing a year with Edwards. He was a 2015 HS grad. 2 at ISUb (18 and 19), 2 years at Indy (17 and I'm assuming 16). Where was he in 2015?

Yeah, it's basically a crapshoot. Im not sure where Edwards was. I think Titus McCoy SoRBwill qualify to redshirt this season also. he was hurt in the opener vs Kansas then came back a few weeks later then got hurt again pretty quick. He's a pretty good weapon to have. I dont think he can take a bunch of abuse but is good to have in splitting time.

clenz
December 2nd, 2019, 03:05 PM
Yeah, it's basically a crapshoot. Im not sure where Edwards was. I think Titus McCoy SoRBwill qualify to redshirt this season also. he was hurt in the opener vs Kansas then came back a few weeks later then got hurt again pretty quick. He's a pretty good weapon to have. I dont think he can take a bunch of abuse but is good to have in splitting time.
I don't know how closely you follow basketball but I'll never forget Grant Gibbs transferring to sCUm from Gonzaga and the NCAA completely ignoring every rule in the book to give him a 6th year because it meant another year of him with Doug McDermott and the NCAA wanted Doug to have every chance to make a deep NCAA run.

He spent 2 years at Gonzaga. Played both years. Transferred to sCUm and had to sit a year. He took a voluntary redshirt to save a year. Since he had to sit out anyway he had his kneed scoped. After he played his 2 years at Creighton they went "Yeah, but he didn't play his first year here because he had knee issues". The NCAA went "You're right...he didn't play that year and it had to have been because of his knee...not the transfer rule. Give him another year".

I think he could get another year now if he wanted too.

Sycamore62
December 2nd, 2019, 03:07 PM
I don't know how closely you follow basketball but I'll never forget Grant Gibbs transferring to sCUm from Gonzaga and the NCAA completely ignoring every rule in the book to give him a 6th year because it meant another year of him with Doug McDermott and the NCAA wanted Doug to have every chance to make a deep NCAA run.

He spent 2 years at Gonzaga. Played both years. Transferred to sCUm and had to sit a year. He took a voluntary redshirt to save a year. Since he had to sit out anyway he had his kneed scoped. After he played his 2 years at Creighton they went "Yeah, but he didn't play his first year here because he had knee issues". The NCAA went "You're right...he didn't play that year and it had to have been because of his knee...not the transfer rule. Give him another year".

I think he could get another year now if he wanted too.

Yeah I seem to notice some stretches of the rules to get a 6th year in basketball. Ive thought to myself more than once "how is this guy still in college...he has to be a doctor by now"

JacksFan40
December 2nd, 2019, 03:11 PM
There could be some truth to that, but NDSU does have really good coaches. Probably the best in MVFC. Also, the athletic director and president have to be careful with hires. You can’t just bring in someone that wants to change things up and put their own stamp on things. I recall several years ago GSU hired a hot shot coach named Brian Van Gorder, changed things up, and they went into the tank for a few years before chasing him out of town with pitchforks. Another example: Bob Stitt. That should make Griz fans shudder

NDSU big donors need their pitchforks pointed at the “change up” candidates before they become coach.
Obviously NDSU has great coaches but what I'm saying is it's just reload every time one leaves. Entz was in the program for years before he got the HC job, same with Klieman being under Bohl, and I'm guessing they're already grooming the next HC should Entz jump to FBS after a few years.
Entz is a great coach, but he took over an incredible team and did exactly what is expected of NDSU. Granted nobody predicted NDSU going undefeated with this young team, but I'd say SIU's coach definitely exceeded expectations compared to Entz. If COTY was handed out to best team's coach Bohl and Klieman would've won every year. Same with Saban and Dabo Swinney in the FBS.

gumby013
December 2nd, 2019, 03:20 PM
and I'm guessing they're already grooming the next HC should Entz jump to FBS after a few years

I'm guessing Tyler Roehl.

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2019, 05:37 PM
I'm guessing Tyler Roehl.

Going with an offense based HC would buck the trend. Not sure if that is a good thing.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2019, 07:14 PM
Going with an offense based HC would buck the trend. Not sure if that is a good thing.
Given what Roehl has done as a first year OC with a unit that replaced 8 of 11 starters from last I'd say his career trajectory will easily be NDSU HC quality within the next 5 years. More important than offense or defense is a guy who knows what makes the program go and Roehl has got plenty of experience seeing that from the inside out so I'd have no issue with them bucking the trend of defensive hires and going to him if/when Entz moves on.

I'd suspect we've got at least 3 years before worrying about that anyway given both Entz and Roehl are in their first years at their respective roles.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2019, 09:24 PM
Obviously NDSU has great coaches but what I'm saying is it's just reload every time one leaves. Entz was in the program for years before he got the HC job, same with Klieman being under Bohl, and I'm guessing they're already grooming the next HC should Entz jump to FBS after a few years.
Entz is a great coach, but he took over an incredible team and did exactly what is expected of NDSU. Granted nobody predicted NDSU going undefeated with this young team, but I'd say SIU's coach definitely exceeded expectations compared to Entz. If COTY was handed out to best team's coach Bohl and Klieman would've won every year. Same with Saban and Dabo Swinney in the FBS.

really? that was the only thing I got right this year... too easy

dewey
December 2nd, 2019, 10:32 PM
really? that was the only thing I got right this year... too easy

I know I was guessing 10-2 maybe 11-1. Certainly not undefeated but Trey Lance has been completely unbelievable. Not to mention the offensive line and Christian Watson.

Dewey

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2019, 08:38 AM
I know I was guessing 10-2 maybe 11-1. Certainly not undefeated but Trey Lance has been completely unbelievable. Not to mention the offensive line and Christian Watson.

Dewey
Dare I say without a Bison backlash, he is way ahead of Stick at same time. Both of which were much better than Jensen, again at same point. Jensen had a great senior year, but was pretty ho hum as FR-JR.. backlash coming, I know !!!

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/2286063872/hA7D86397/
(https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiAhbq12pnmAhUOSK0KHbovDisQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcheezburger.com%2F2286063872&psig=AOvVaw1UUm5OgL-i_GSYDYYNa9DV&ust=1575470293045901)

Herdistheword
December 3rd, 2019, 08:43 AM

Meh, we still need good coaches. Plenty of talented teams don’t reach their potential. Part of the reason why NDSU has been so successful is because the coaches are very good at getting the most out of their players. The COY award was a toss-up IMO. It would not be fair to give it to Hill by looking solely at who exceeded expectations just as it would not be fair to give it to Entz based on which team won the most games. I think Entz got pushed slightly over the top by going undeafeated (always a hard task) and by doing it with a significant team turnover from last year. I think if Entz inherits a roster with less turnover, then Hill gets more consideration for the award.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2019, 09:04 AM
Dare I say without a Bison backlash, he is way ahead of Stick at same time. Both of which were much better than Jensen, again at same point. Jensen had a great senior year, but was pretty ho hum as FR-JR.. backlash coming, I know !!!

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/2286063872/hA7D86397/
(https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiAhbq12pnmAhUOSK0KHbovDisQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcheezburger.com%2F2286063872&psig=AOvVaw1UUm5OgL-i_GSYDYYNa9DV&ust=1575470293045901)
He is light years ahead of Stick at this point in time, not even close. I think he has the chance to be better than Wentz and with the movement towards QB's that can run the ball, if he stays healthy I think he has a real decent shot at the bigs. He is a far better passer than I thought he would be at this point in time. Jensen didn't have a big arm, all he did was win ballgames and was freaking clutch most of the time. Wentz's body of work at NDSU is actually pretty small compared to both Stick and Jensen but he is big and has a big arm and is mobile so he got a lot of attention, rightfully so.

I don't think you are going to get any backlash from any NDSU people on here. If Lance continues to develop, he could wind up as the best QB ever produced at NDSU and that is saying alot.

centennial
December 3rd, 2019, 09:11 AM
He is light years ahead of Stick at this point in time, not even close. I think he has the chance to be better than Wentz and with the movement towards QB's that can run the ball, if he stays healthy I think he has a real decent shot at the bigs. He is a far better passer than I thought he would be at this point in time. Jensen didn't have a big arm, all he did was win ballgames and was freaking clutch most of the time. Wentz's body of work at NDSU is actually pretty small compared to both Stick and Jensen but he is big and has a big arm and is mobile so he got a lot of attention, rightfully so.

I don't think you are going to get any backlash from any NDSU people on here. If Lance continues to develop, he could wind up as the best QB ever produced at NDSU and that is saying alot.

Best college QB, probably. Best pro QB? Very hard to say for now. Coach Klieman states Easton was the smartest QB he has worked with even vs Wentz. Wentz is a top 10-12 starter in the NFL, Easton is a backup QB in the NFL. We don't know how much Lance can do on his own for now. Can he change plays can, absorb NFL playbooks etc.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2019, 09:16 AM

Agreed, I don't think there is a Bison fan out there that would disagree with you that Lance is a much better QB as a freshman than Stick was.

The crazy thing about Lance is he's still developing the mental side of his game. He doesn't do nearly as much presnap as what Stick did last year (which is expected - Stick was a 3.5 year starter as a senior last year) and Lance still is only reading part of the field on most plays. His success is a testament to his abilities but also a testament to the scheme and coaching by first year OC Tyler Roehl and QB Coach Randy Hedberg. Hedberg started as QB Coach in 2014 (Wentz's first year starting) and the Bison have had above average to elite QB play ever since then... he's obviously had some talented guys to work with but what he's done in the last 5+ years has to be one of the most impressive jobs by a position coach anywhere in the country.

JayJ79
December 3rd, 2019, 09:17 AM
On his way from Indy to Terre Haute, he stopped in Hawkins, Indiana and got stuck in the Upside Down for a year.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2019, 09:19 AM
Best college QB, probably. Best pro QB? Very hard to say for now. Coach Klieman states Easton was the smartest QB he has worked with even vs Wentz. Wentz is a top 10-12 starter in the NFL, Easton is a backup QB in the NFL. We don't know how much Lance can do on his own for now. Can he change plays can, absorb NFL playbooks etc.No doubt and but don't think he is the best college QB in the country at this point in time either, FCS, maybe but he has a ways to go but he is way ahead of both Stick and Wentz at this point in time in his college career and those guys are both in the NFL. Kind of exciting stuff.

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2019, 09:22 AM
Best college QB, probably. Best pro QB? Very hard to say for now. Coach Klieman states Easton was the smartest QB he has worked with even vs Wentz. Wentz is a top 10-12 starter in the NFL, Easton is a backup QB in the NFL. We don't know how much Lance can do on his own for now. Can he change plays can, absorb NFL playbooks etc.
He is obviously very good, but hard to say he is best QB now or not ... got a lot going on around him that works very very well. Put him in our system, I'm betting he wouldn't do so well .. certainly not as well as he is performing with Bison team and system. There is lot of credit that shoudl be spread around in that offense, starting with the OL and system .. recruite and develop the right players, then plug and play.

centennial
December 3rd, 2019, 01:32 PM
No doubt and but don't think he is the best college QB in the country at this point in time either, FCS, maybe but he has a ways to go but he is way ahead of both Stick and Wentz at this point in time in his college career and those guys are both in the NFL. Kind of exciting stuff.
I meant he has the potential to be the best college QB ever at NDSU. I think it's no secret that he can't read the field fully, or eye manipulate safeties like Wentz or even Stick. I don't know if you have seen Stick's sparq. It's downright elite outside of arm strength which is still adequate for the NFL. Even Wentz was great for his size.

Straight line speed I think Lance is slightly better, but it would be debatable that Lance has better physical tools than Stick. I think coaching this year has really helped Lance out, more so than Stick. We are obviously running a simpler system, Lance's deep ball is his biggest advantage for now. His touch is elite for a college QB. If I were to rate him I think outside of maybe 20-30 FBS teams, he could complete to be the starter right now and he is only a freshman.

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2019, 02:34 PM
He's a freshman guys.

Trey Lance is a freshman.

I just like saying and reading that.

JayJ79
December 3rd, 2019, 04:49 PM
might make a tempting target for a P5 team looking for a transfer QB

X-Factor
December 3rd, 2019, 06:19 PM

Honestly that probably would be a very bad idea for him. NDSU has more than proven to be a QB factory with an offensive system that translates extremely well to the pros, and back to back nfl draft picks. He goes to an FBS team for the ‘potential’ to start, forced to learn a new system, forced to build chemistry with new players, classes, city, etc....for what? I’m not convinced it would give him a better shot at being drafted, that’s for sure!! His best shot at being drafted is 4 starting QB years right in Fargo, and a strong workout/combine/Sr Game showing should he be so fortunate to get that opportunity

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2019, 06:55 PM
Honestly that probably would be a very bad idea for him. NDSU has more than proven to be a QB factory with an offensive system that translates extremely well to the pros, and back to back nfl draft picks. He goes to an FBS team for the ‘potential’ to start, forced to learn a new system, forced to build chemistry with new players, classes, city, etc....for what? I’m not convinced it would give him a better shot at being drafted, that’s for sure!! His best shot at being drafted is 4 starting QB years right in Fargo, and a strong workout/combine/Sr Game showing should he be so fortunate to get that opportunity

Randy Hedberg is secretly a top asset ranking right up there with Kramer.

Tazman2664
December 3rd, 2019, 07:19 PM
He is obviously very good, but hard to say he is best QB now or not ... got a lot going on around him that works very very well. Put him in our system, I'm betting he wouldn't do so well .. certainly not as well as he is performing with Bison team and system. There is lot of credit that shoudl be spread around in that offense, starting with the OL and system .. recruite and develop the right players, then plug and play.

I agree with this. First, NDSU OL is doing great protecting him. Put him in a situation where that is not possible, would he be as successful? Next, he has some very good RBs behind him. They use multiple RBs and that keeps them fresh, as proof towards the end of games they run up the yards. He has some good recievers, a couple TEs. Thus, the system is such that it is not all on him for this team to be successful. Basically, for them to win he just can't screw up and he has not. Any QB who can keep from making the mistakes and have a very good support system around them will be good. For some team to think of him as a transfer it will be maybe after his sophomore year, he needs another year to prove he can stay away from the mistakes. And because there is a very good system around him he has not had to prove the team needs to count on him in the tough times. NDSU does a very nice job in bringing guys in and red shirting them which really gives them a leg up when it comes time for them to have to contribute, see Tuszka(?). Lance has done well but this team has not had to rely on him to win a game yet, thus I don't think other teams will think he has proven he can go to the next level.

centennial
December 4th, 2019, 03:21 AM

He'll need to go to a pro offense team. Which teams are that? Alabama, Stanford, Michigan, Texas A&M? I can see Michigan, they just can't develop QBs. Otherwise learning a new system like the spread doesn't help his pro prospects.

Bisonator
December 4th, 2019, 09:25 AM

Why would he do that when he can continue developing into an NFL QB and be a top draft pick at NDSU?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2019, 10:25 AM

Zero chance he leaves.

Houndawg
December 8th, 2019, 07:16 AM
OPOY: Trey Lance Lance or Robinson from ISUr, both had really good years,
DPOY: Ellerson Smith or Christian Rozeboom Rozeboom and it shouldn't be close, I watched UNI at least 4 times this year and Smith was invisible in each game, I also read on a different site that NDSU game planned to attack his side of the field because of a match up advantage we had there. I am just not impressed with him and he doesn't seem to perform well against decent teams.
COY: Nick Hill or Matt Entz Really tough call, Hill seems to have brought this team back from the dung heap but Entz guided a really young Bison team to an undefeated season. This is a toss up really
Freshman of the year: Trey Lance Yep
Newcomer of the year: Trey Lance or Javon Williams Jr (to spread the love a bit - Williams has been fantastic for a freshman, probably a no brainer choice for freshman of the year most any other year) ​Yep

IMO, if Lance were at SIU and Williams were at NDSU - Williams is the OPOY pretty easily and the newcomer of the year very easily. No disrespect to Lance.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2019, 07:18 AM
3 MVFC teams in the quarters and, so far, MVFC teams are 4-0 in the playoffs vs teams from other conferences. Not bad for a "down year" in the conference.

Houndawg
December 8th, 2019, 07:22 AM
3 MVFC teams in the quarters and, so far, MVFC teams are 4-0 in the playoffs vs teams from other conferences. Not bad for a "down year" in the conference.

JMU looks to be the only team with a shot at playoff victory over an MVFC team

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2019, 07:24 AM

Not bad, I guess. IMO, the Big Sky is probably the strongest conference this year with the Valley being a close 2nd. 1 Valley team in the semis. Plus it looks like AP will give MSU a run for their money in their game. UNI will get curb stomped.

Best game probably will be Montana at Weber.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2019, 07:25 AM
IMO, if Lance were at SIU and Williams were at NDSU - Williams is the OPOY pretty easily and the newcomer of the year very easily. No disrespect to Lance.

You think Williams would beat out Lance if they were in a QB battle for a starting position?

Houndawg
December 8th, 2019, 07:31 AM
You think Williams would beat out Lance if they were in a QB battle for a starting position?

No, he an RB - and he'd easily win that battle.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2019, 07:35 AM
No, he an RB - and he'd easily win that battle.
He might've ended up being the RB with the most carries but I'd highly doubt he would've been in the OPOY conversation with the committee approach NDSU uses. He probably only gets 150 carries at most in the regular season (12-13 per game). Adam Cofield led the team in carries this regular season and only had 129 carries.

Houndawg
December 8th, 2019, 07:39 AM
He might've ended up being the RB with the most carries but I'd highly doubt he would've been in the OPOY conversation with the committee approach NDSU uses. He probably only gets 150 carries at most in the regular season (12-13 per game). Adam Cofield led the team in carries this regular season and only had 129 carries.

It wouldn't be his fault if you didn't use him right, but thats a different subject.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2019, 07:41 AM
It wouldn't be his fault if you didn't use him right, but thats a different subject.

RB by committee has been working for NDSU for awhile now.....xnodx

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2019, 07:49 AM
There's plenty of justification towards using the RBBC approach. Keeps your backs fresher and reduces injury risk especially when you're playing 14-16 games per season. It also forces the defense to adjust to different styles of runner. Even at the NFL level there's very few bellcow RBs anymore.

I've heard the claim before that RBs need to be fed carries in order to get into a rhythm but that's a very subjective claim.

Houndawg
December 8th, 2019, 07:52 AM
RB by committee has been working for NDSU for awhile now.....xnodx

Different subject.

Houndawg
December 8th, 2019, 07:55 AM
There's plenty of justification towards using the RBBC approach. Keeps your backs fresher and reduces injury risk especially when you're playing 14-16 games per season. It also forces the defense to adjust to different styles of runner. Even at the NFL level there's very few bellcow RBs anymore.

I've heard the claim before that RBs need to be fed carries in order to get into a rhythm but that's a very subjective claim.

Yeah I've heard it too, and I bet most RBs agree.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Yeah I've heard it too, and I bet most RBs agree.
Of course they would. Just like most WRs will tell you they're open on every play. xlolx

Redbird 4th & short
December 8th, 2019, 09:52 AM
good day for MVFC .. unfortunate that UNI had to play SDSU in round of 16 and eliminate one of them early ... both were top 8 seed teams IMO. Though UNI struggled late as injuries on offense mounted ... which I can certainly empathize with. We lost 2 more offensive starters .. both for 2nd time this season .. WR Edgar went down with possible concusion (hit turf) and FB McCloyn too.

But MVFC is now 5-1 in this years playoffs, and the Wings are 3-0 in OOC playoff games this year . with 2 of 3 on road.

That moves the Wings cumulative OOC playoff record to 25-11 ... so we're up to .694 win %. And this was looking like a down year for MVFC after NDSU .. but here we sit with 3 in quarterfinals again.

Kudos also to Big Sky .. they got 3 of 4 in the quarters. Sac St got blitzed by a very hot APU team.

Reign .. you out there ? The MVFC Wings are up to .694 win % in OOC playoff games since 2011.

Is this getting statistically significant enough for you yet ... No ?? How many more years do you need to see this happen ? Or are you waiting for us to have a bad year, so you can say "I told you so". xdrunkyx

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2019, 12:15 PM
It's funny how scheduling quirks work out. Illinois St didn't leave the state of Illinois to play a game until week 11 in the regular season. Now they're about to play a game out of state for the 4th straight week.

Schism55
December 10th, 2019, 01:06 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1204474759448272896
NCC re-formation dream is over...
As good ole Van Halen said. Dream another dream - this dream is over

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Crookston should drop football. They haven't won a game since 2015.

St Cloud is hockey all the way.

Redbird 4th & short
December 10th, 2019, 09:19 PM

What is this "keep your RBs fresher" you Bison all speak of ???

xconfusedx

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2019, 09:50 PM
What is this "keep your RBs fresher" you Bison all speak of ???

xconfusedx
Whatever floats your boat... in 2014 John Crockett toted it 368 times over the course of 16 games for NDSU. He finished 6 yards short of 2,000 for the season which was a single season record for NDSU. It might be a while before we see another NDSU RB with that kind of workload.

James Robinson is at 340 carries for the season in 14 games. The crazy thing is NDSU's top 3 RBs with the most carries (Adam Cofield, Ty Brooks, and Kobe Johnson) have combined for 337 carries. James Robinson has 1883 rushing yards on the year (5.4 per carry - which was the same average as Crockett had in 2014). Those 3 NDSU guys have combined for 2,150 rushing yards on the year (6.4 per carry). Can't argue with the RBBC results.

clenz
December 10th, 2019, 09:53 PM
What's it like to have running backs that stay healthy enough to worry about load management?

Redbird 4th & short
December 10th, 2019, 10:52 PM
Whatever floats your boat... in 2014 John Crockett toted it 368 times over the course of 16 games for NDSU. He finished 6 yards short of 2,000 for the season which was a single season record for NDSU. It might be a while before we see another NDSU RB with that kind of workload.

James Robinson is at 340 carries for the season in 14 games. The crazy thing is NDSU's top 3 RBs with the most carries (Adam Cofield, Ty Brooks, and Kobe Johnson) have combined for 337 carries. James Robinson has 1883 rushing yards on the year (5.4 per carry - which was the same average as Crockett had in 2014). Those 3 NDSU guys have combined for 2,150 rushing yards on the year (6.4 per carry). Can't argue with the RBBC results.
oh I wasn't arguing .. I prefer the 2 RB system .. one where they go 60/40 split of reps. Been a rough year for Robinson with little else helping us move chains .. run or pass. We liked our #2 RB Proctor, but he went down in game 11, same as Davis. Combined with losing top 2 WRs ... our skill positions which certainly lacked depth, have put that much more of a burden on Robinson .. especially in playoffs and since Davis and Proctor went down early in game 11.

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2019, 06:25 AM
oh I wasn't arguing .. I prefer the 2 RB system .. one where they go 60/40 split of reps. Been a rough year for Robinson with little else helping us move chains .. run or pass. We liked our #2 RB Proctor, but he went down in game 11, same as Davis. Combined with losing top 2 WRs ... our skill positions which certainly lacked depth, have put that much more of a burden on Robinson .. especially in playoffs and since Davis and Proctor went down early in game 11.
Yeah, it's not always possible. You have to get kind of lucky with injuries. NDSU's top two guys (Brooks and Cofield) have been basically healthy all year *knockonwood*. The next two have gotten a little dinged up but they've split meaningful reps between as many as 4 different RBs throughout the year and I do think that helps with injuries but they still happen. In 2017 they had a similar 4 RB rotation and 3 of them were hurt at the same time to the point where they had to pull a redshirt in October just to have depth at a crucial position.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2019, 06:40 AM
If any RB can handle a running back workload by himself it is Robinson. Has the build for it.

ST_Lawson
December 11th, 2019, 09:29 AM
What's it like to have running backs that stay healthy enough to worry about load management?

What's it like to have running backs?

POD Knows
December 11th, 2019, 07:57 PM

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TapatalkDude, we have had multiple RB injuries this year, lost Seth Wilson to an ACL tear, had multiple guys miss games, Kobe Johnson is out for a while now, lost Williams for a few games, maybe you guys ought to quit bitchin and get deeper in your line ups. The primary difference between NDSU and the rest of you guys is depth. Maybe you should field more than one or two decent backs, that is a novel thought.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 12th, 2019, 06:29 AM
Dude, we have had multiple RB injuries this year, lost Seth Wilson to an ACL tear, had multiple guys miss games, Kobe Johnson is out for a while now, lost Williams for a few games, maybe you guys ought to quit bitchin and get deeper in your line ups. The primary difference between NDSU and the rest of you guys is depth. Maybe you should field more than one or two decent backs, that is a novel thought.

Wilson
Cofield
Clack
Johnson
Bussy

Bison are loaded for next year.

POD Knows
December 12th, 2019, 07:59 AM
Wilson
Cofield
Clack
Johnson
Bussy

Bison are loaded for next year.There is this Zuroff kid listed as a RB, Freshman, I am guessing that maybe the will make a safety or corner out of him.

ST_Lawson
December 12th, 2019, 01:12 PM
MVFC twitter posted a list of all the MVFC/Gateway players/coaches who have won any of the individual awards (Buchanan, Rice, Robinson, technically also the Payton, but nobody from the MVFC has ever won that). However, they apparently need to take lessons from Santa and check the list twice. They left off the 2000 Buchanan Award Winner, WIU LB Edgerton Hartwell.

https://twitter.com/ValleyFootball/status/1204822612767105026

CappinHard
December 13th, 2019, 11:25 AM
So, the FCS All-Independent team awards... is there a discussion started on this already that I missed?

https://twitter.com/UNDfootball/status/1204133383854608384?s=20

F'N Hawks
December 13th, 2019, 11:28 AM
So, the FCS All-Independent team awards... is there a discussion started on this already that I missed?

https://twitter.com/UNDfootball/status/1204133383854608384?s=20

Do not understand that at all. You're not in a conference so your players don't get awards, tough sh&t.

POD Knows
December 13th, 2019, 11:36 AM

https://twitter.com/UNDfootball/status/1204133383854608384?s=20There are two independents in FCS, so they are handing out awards and using UND and Merrimack as the "teams" for this? Is this for real.

CappinHard
December 13th, 2019, 11:39 AM
There are two independents in FCS, so they are handing out awards and using UND and Merrimack as the "teams" for this? Is this for real.

Looks like it... https://twitter.com/smartalec_nd/status/1203071334068162560?s=20

Just a really bad look.

POD Knows
December 13th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Looks like it... https://twitter.com/smartalec_nd/status/1203071334068162560?s=20

Just a really bad look.
This is freaking priceless, so UND was behind this thing and they are stoked over it. OMFG, this will make all the trash talk about runner up tees go away.

I changed my signature line to honor this honor

BisonFan02
December 13th, 2019, 11:50 AM

Just a really bad look.

This is the most UND thing ever. What a bunch of out of touch dip****s. xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 11:52 AM
xlolx

clenz
December 13th, 2019, 11:52 AM
There are two independents in FCS, so they are handing out awards and using UND and Merrimack as the "teams" for this? Is this for real.
Merrimack isn't truly Indy though.

Their kids were eligible for NEC awards, from what I understand. They were still attached to the NEC even if they didn't count as an NEC team.

UND is/was truly the only Indy team

POD Knows
December 13th, 2019, 11:56 AM

Their kids were eligible for NEC awards, from what I understand. They were still attached to the NEC even if they didn't count as an NEC team.

UND is/was truly the only Indy teamYea, I read that but I figured I would ease into the bashing that absolutely needs to occur for this action. This is hilarious at a whole new level.

BisonFan02
December 13th, 2019, 11:57 AM

UND is/was truly the only Indy team

Correct. And according to that UND official, Merrimack is mercifully not eligible for these prestigious rewards. xlolx

POD Knows
December 13th, 2019, 12:04 PM
Correct. And according to that UND official, Merrimack is mercifully not eligible for these prestigious rewards. xlolxHow do you get an honorable mention for this award, what, do they have to reach into the 2 or 3 deep on the depth chart to pull those names out?

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2019, 12:07 PM
How do you get an honorable mention for this award, what, do they have to reach into the 2 or 3 deep on the depth chart to pull those names out?
Not defending them since I think this idea is as dumb as the rest of you but they did the same thing last year and I believe they only had about 5 or 6 1st team and then 5 or 6 2nd team guys. So they don't fill a full lineup of players for the 1st and 2nd teams.

BisonFan02
December 13th, 2019, 12:08 PM
Not defending them since I think this idea is as dumb as the rest of you but they did the same thing last year and I believe they only had about 5 or 6 1st team and then 5 or 6 2nd team guys. So they don't fill a full lineup of players for the 1st and 2nd teams.

Didn't help. xlolx

clenz
December 13th, 2019, 12:08 PM
How do you get an honorable mention for this award, what, do they have to reach into the 2 or 3 deep on the depth chart to pull those names out?That's my confussion.

You're literally the only team eligible and you can't get enough people to vote for you to even make honorable mention or first team?

"Honorable mentions are players who received either one first-team vote or multiple second-team votes from local media in GF, Fargo, and national media."

So is there no first team or second team? You vote for first team and second team but only give out honorable mention? You have no one to compete against and you still don't get enough votes for first time?

How bad do you feel about yourself when you realize the local media, who covered you all season, had literally no one else to vote for and still didn't think you were good enough to make some "all conference" team made up only of your team?

BisonFan02
December 13th, 2019, 12:12 PM
That's my confussion.

You're literally the only team eligible and you can't get enough people to vote for you to even make honorable mention or first team?

"Honorable mentions are players who received either one first-team vote or multiple second-team votes from local media in GF, Fargo, and national media."

So is there no first team or second team? You vote for first team and second team but only give out honorable mention? You have no one to compete against and you still don't get enough votes for first time?

How bad do you feel about yourself when you realize the local media, who covered you all season, had literally no one else to vote for and still didn't think you were good enough to make some "all conference" team made up only of your team?

I can just see the recruiting brochures:

UND runs the table with All-independent Conference players!

Dozens of award winning players! Commit to a winner! xlolx

BisonFan02
December 13th, 2019, 12:16 PM
Leg Lamps to all first team players! UND season tickets for 2nd team!

POD Knows
December 13th, 2019, 12:17 PM
I can just see the recruiting brochures:

UND runs the table with All-independent Conference players!

Dozens of award winning players! Commit to a winner! xlolxI wonder who will win the COTY award, maybe they won't do one for that.

Chalupa Batman
December 13th, 2019, 12:32 PM

So.......they only have 5 or 6 good players on their team (and that's according to themselves!) and only 5 or 6 decent backups?

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2019, 12:50 PM
Leg Lamps to all first team players! UND season tickets for 2nd team!
I've heard that Bubba is one of the most feared furnace fighters in northern North Dakota!

So.......they only have 5 or 6 good players on their team (and that's according to themselves!) and only 5 or 6 decent backups?
Truth... and here I thought these awards were supposed to make them feel better about themselves.

clenz
January 9th, 2020, 11:19 AM
https://twitter.com/FCS_Football/status/1215321109610016769

Can't say I saw that coming in any way, shape, or form.

ST_Lawson
January 9th, 2020, 01:27 PM
https://twitter.com/FCS_Football/status/1215321109610016769

Can't say I saw that coming in any way, shape, or form.

That he got let go...not too surprising.
That he got let go now and not right at the end of the regular season...very surprising.

Lorne_Malvo
January 9th, 2020, 02:04 PM
It seemed to me like they were improving quite a bit. Kind of odd in my opinion.

clenz
January 9th, 2020, 02:42 PM
It seemed to me like they were improving quite a bit. Kind of odd in my opinion.
Were they though?

5 seasons under Steck
10 D1 wins
5 MVFC wins

Last 5 TA seasons
19 D1 wins
15 MVFC wins

TA had more MVFC wins in his final 2 years than Steck hand in all 5 combined - and 9 D1 wins to Steck's 10 in 5

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 9th, 2020, 06:41 PM
Not a surprise.

His teams were not good.

ST_Lawson
January 10th, 2020, 10:16 AM

They had a few games in that span that showed some signs of life, but this year they were 1-10 with their only win being a triple-OT victory against us (and we also only had 1 win this season).
NDSU has more wins this season than MSU has had in Steck's 5-year tenure.

Sycamore62
January 10th, 2020, 11:57 AM
Our Wildcat receiver/QB had 250 yds and 4 TDs against them. Our other wildcat QB/rb had 1 to end the season. I’m surprised they made it home with a job and it was at MSU

centennial
January 10th, 2020, 03:12 PM
Funny how Dave fell from this - 2011–2014Missouri (AHC/DC/LB) to fired at MSU. He would have probably made more money jumping around FBS schools as an assistant coach and occasional DC. I suspect he wanted to turn MSU around and then quickly jump back to P5 head coach.

clenz
January 10th, 2020, 03:36 PM
Funny how Dave fell from this - 2011–2014Missouri (AHC/DC/LB) to fired at MSU. He would have probably made more money jumping around FBS schools as an assistant coach and occasional DC. I suspect he wanted to turn MSU around and then quickly jump back to P5 head coach.
The list of coaches "rumored" to be interested in the MSU job is....well....less than stellar at this point.

I think they are going to struggle to even hide the warts when trying to sell a coach on the program