PDA

View Full Version : National Title Game: #1 North Dakota State vs #3 Eastern Washington

Pages : 1 [2] 3

cx500d
December 25th, 2018, 08:42 AM
IHOP or Denny's maybe.
But those are all over the south too

Gil Dobie
December 25th, 2018, 09:41 AM
But those are all over the south too

Applebees are in the South too. I don't know of any other comparable in the North.

POD Knows
December 25th, 2018, 09:45 AM
Let me know when you get in town, I’ll buy you lunch at the Waffle House

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThey torture the noon crowd as well, what do they serve for lunch that would promote food poisoning across the south.

TheKingpin28
December 25th, 2018, 11:07 AM
IHOP or Denny's maybe.I just know how people of the Midwest love their Bee's Knee's.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

cx500d
December 25th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Applebees are in the South too. I don't know of any other comparable in the North.
Perkins, but I like Perkins.

do they still have bridgemans?

cx500d
December 25th, 2018, 11:54 AM
They torture the noon crowd as well, what do they serve for lunch that would promote food poisoning across the south.
I like the blt’s

kalm
December 25th, 2018, 12:15 PM
IMO, besides the LOS and which team controls that metric, the other IMO is defense. Across the board the Bison have a better defense. Bison give up 100 less yards/game, about 10 points less/game and 8 less first downs given up/game.

In games with high stacks and pressure like this one, I'll take the better defense any day.

IMO, the Bison defense is good enough to slow down and stop EWU but not the other way around.

You could be entirely right but we’ve been hearing this since we 2010...especially the Delaware game. Along the way we’ve faced many teams that are more physical and play much better defense. A few times that’s been true but mostly it hasn’t.

We shall see.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 25th, 2018, 07:28 PM
You could be entirely right but we’ve been hearing this since we 2010...especially the Delaware game. Along the way we’ve faced many teams that are more physical and play much better defense. A few times that’s been true but mostly it hasn’t.

We shall see.

Hang your hat on that.

How many home semi final games have you lost at home? A defense with a heartbeat might have been just enough to maybe win one or more of those games.

EWU might get a few 3 and outs on the Bison offense but I suspect the Bison are going to go thru the EWU defense like a hot knife thru butter...esp in the 2nd half.

Red & Black
December 25th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Hang your hat on that.

How many home semi final games have you lost at home?

4...but only 3 recently.

Red & Black
December 25th, 2018, 09:25 PM
I don’t aee this game being close in the second half.

Other than bias...why?

uni88
December 25th, 2018, 09:44 PM
NDSU should be favored and there is definitely a chance that they blow the doors off of EWU. With their offense and an improved defense, EWU has a puncher's chance and IMO could win this thing. I for one am looking forward to watching it.

dudeitsaid
December 25th, 2018, 11:26 PM
Hang your hat on that.

How many home semi final games have you lost at home? A defense with a heartbeat might have been just enough to maybe win one or more of those games.

EWU might get a few 3 and outs on the Bison offense but I suspect the Bison are going to go thru the EWU defense like a hot knife thru butter...esp in the 2nd half.

They might go through the EWU D like a hot knife through butter, but still come up empty. Their is a decent disparity between total defense and scoring defense for EWU. They've been opportunistic when needed. This isn't the defense of the past, so I really don't see how the "semi games lost at home" have any relevance to this game. Most of the starters from the YSU semi aren't on this defense.

I can see why you or anyone else favors NDSU. They should be favored. It think anyone in their right mind would think NDSU will win this game.

I'm fine with a few 3 and outs against the Bison giving that EWU can turn this into a boat-race. I'd love to see a game like the 2016 game for both the team and fans of the FCS. And EWU had a chance to kick a field goal and win the game. Put us in that same situation again, and I'd have a lot of confidence in Alcobendas with that opportunity.

Thundar
December 26th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Along the way we’ve faced many teams that are more physical and play much better defense.

Name 1?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2018, 06:12 AM
They might go through the EWU D like a hot knife through butter, but still come up empty. Their is a decent disparity between total defense and scoring defense for EWU. They've been opportunistic when needed. This isn't the defense of the past, so I really don't see how the "semi games lost at home" have any relevance to this game. Most of the starters from the YSU semi aren't on this defense.

I can see why you or anyone else favors NDSU. They should be favored. It think anyone in their right mind would think NDSU will win this game.

I'm fine with a few 3 and outs against the Bison giving that EWU can turn this into a boat-race. I'd love to see a game like the 2016 game for both the team and fans of the FCS. And EWU had a chance to kick a field goal and win the game. Put us in that same situation again, and I'd have a lot of confidence in Alcobendas with that opportunity.

Another 2016 will not happen again IMO. The Bison used a 3 man rush against Gubrub and it almost cost them the game. This year's defense is much better at passing rushing the QB.

EWU doesn't face an offense like the Bison's ever in the Big Sky. Cal Poly's option is not a good comparison. NDSU's G-gap power and FB lead runs are not too common in college FB today.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2018, 06:14 AM
Other than bias...why?

1. Bison's ball control offense keeps EWU's offense off the field.

2. That running game will go from 4-5 yard runs in the 1st half to 7-10 + runs in the 2nd half with the EWU defense wearing down.

3. The Bison defense is good enough to slow down and stop the EWU offense.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2018, 06:21 AM
NDSU should be favored and there is definitely a chance that they blow the doors off of EWU. With their offense and an improved defense, EWU has a puncher's chance and IMO could win this thing. I for one am looking forward to watching it.

Sure they could. EWU could definitely win.

But one thing with this Bison "run" over the last 8 years is that no matter what challenge the other team has brought to the table offensively, the Bison have risen to the occasion. The Bison have played QBs with Barriere's skill set and beaten them all. Trey Roberson is the best one I have seen.

I'm looking forward to a yellow/green take over of Frisco!

BisonBacker
December 26th, 2018, 06:30 AM

We shall see.

xlolx

Name 1?

^^^^THIS^^^^^

https://media.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpz81S7usvTIM8w/giphy.gif

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2018, 06:45 AM
Name 1?

The whole Big Fluffy conference....xlolx

WeAreThePride
December 26th, 2018, 07:14 AM
Other than bias...why?
All the usual answers. The Bison are bigger, stronger, and most importantly, better conditioned across the board. Stick is the better QB. Our LB corps is better. Our D Line is better. Our O Line is better. Our secondary is incredible. We play efficient offense to sustain drives and tire out defenses, especially depleted defenses like yours. It’s a tale as old as time. The Opponent hangs until half time because we don’t rely on early explosive offense. Then after half time the Bison score 17-21 points in Q3, while Opponent might get 3-7. At this point Opponent’s Defense is worn out. In Q4 the score begins to reflect just how big the talent and conditioning gap is, as the Bison score another 10 to Opponent’s Zero while barely throwing a pass. Easton Stick wins MOP with a cool 14/22 for 145 and 2 TDs, and another 110 rushing and a TD.

kalm
December 26th, 2018, 07:21 AM
xlolx

^^^^THIS^^^^^

https://media.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpz81S7usvTIM8w/giphy.gif

JFC xlolx

I was talking about other teams in the past who were supposed to beat us because they were more physical and played better defense....I wasn't talking about the Bizon.

This is why practically everyone else views NDSU fans as the most self absorbed and sensitive fan base in the history of modern athletics. Win 6 of 7, have everyone's respect, and yet you ladies are still the Ron Burgundy of FCS...

https://superpoweredweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/mrw-my-gf-introduces-me-to-some-of-her-friends-who-know-all-about-me-10974.gif

xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2018, 07:23 AM
All the usual answers. The Bison are bigger, stronger, and most importantly, better conditioned across the board. Stick is the better QB. Our LB corps is better. Our D Line is better. Our O Line is better. Our secondary is incredible. We play efficient offense to sustain drives and tire out defenses, especially depleted defenses like yours. It’s a tale as old as time. The Opponent hangs until half time because we don’t rely on early explosive offense. Then after half time the Bison score 17-21 points in Q3, while Opponent might get 3-7. At this point Opponent’s Defense is worn out. In Q4 the score begins to reflect just how big the talent and conditioning gap is, as the Bison score another 10 to Opponent’s Zero while barely throwing a pass. Easton Stick wins MOP with a cool 14/22 for 145 and 2 TDs, and another 110 rushing and a TD.

xthumbsupx

I'll take it. I bet ES will not have to run as much because the RBs will be gashing that defense....xnodx....although he certainly can if needed!

- - - Updated - - -

JFC xlolx

I was talking about other teams in the past who were supposed to beat us because they were more physical and played better defense....I wasn't talking about the Bizon.

This is why practically everyone else views NDSU fans as the most self absorbed and sensitive fan base in the history of modern athletics. Win 6 of 7, have everyone's respect and yet you ladies are still the Ron Burgundy of FCS...

https://superpoweredweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/mrw-my-gf-introduces-me-to-some-of-her-friends-who-know-all-about-me-10974.gif

xlolx

Good!

You other plebs can keep on wishing!

BisonBacker
December 26th, 2018, 07:27 AM
xthumbsupx

I'll take it. I bet ES will not have to run as much because the RBs will be gashing that defense....xnodx....although he certainly can if needed!

- - - Updated - - -

Good!

You other plebs can keep on wishing!

Notice how he's walking back his comments after being called out on them and then goes even further by blaming Bison fans for calling him out. Priceless xcoffeex

BisonBacker
December 26th, 2018, 07:29 AM
Game can't get here soon enough for me. Put all the talk to bed and let the teams play it out on the field.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Notice how he's walking back his comments after being called out on them and then goes even further by blaming Bison fans for calling him out. Priceless xcoffeex

xlolx

I guess somehow this EWU offense is some special version of what the Bison have seen numerous times in the past. We don't get it I guess. This Barriere kid is the 2nd coming of Rhett Bomar and he will cut us up like a gutted deer....

Ill State's Trey Roberson is the best dual threat QB I have seen the Bison play and this kid is not him. Will he be someday? Maybe, but not now.

Bring on EWU because it will be enjoyable watching the Bison take down another RPO team....xnodx

Barriere is 6 foot and 190.....wonder if he will stand up the whole game?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2018, 07:34 AM
Game can't get here soon enough for me. Put all the talk to bed and let the teams play it out on the field.

xnodx

90% Bison fans in that stadium will be fun to be part of....xthumbsupx

kalm
December 26th, 2018, 07:54 AM

xlolx

Thanks for proving my last point even further.

kalm
December 26th, 2018, 08:11 AM
xlolx

I guess somehow this EWU offense is some special version of what the Bison have seen numerous times in the past. We don't get it I guess. This Barriere kid is the 2nd coming of Rhett Bomar and he will cut us up like a gutted deer....

Ill State's Trey Roberson is the best dual threat QB I have seen the Bison play and this kid is not him. Will he be someday? Maybe, but not now.

Bring on EWU because it will be enjoyable watching the Bison take down another RPO team....xnodx

Barriere is 6 foot and 190.....wonder if he will stand up the whole game?

This is an example of why you're viewed as such sensitive little flowers. You get paid loads of respect, show very little in return, and then make up **** about not being respected enough. xlolx

Barriere is indeed more than likely the key. He's been hot in the playoffs, completing 70% of his passes for 250 ypg, 11 TD's against 3 int's, while rushing for 66 ypg and another score. Go back to the PSU game where we scored 74 and the numbers obviously get even better. But he is indeed a sophomore and got away with a couple of dangerous throws against Maine which he can't do against the Bizon.

You'd expect him to struggle against that D and given the big game scenario. If he does, I'd be surprised if we get enough stops or can run it well enough to keep up.

Gil Dobie
December 26th, 2018, 08:15 AM
This is an example of why you're viewed as such sensitive little flowers. You get paid loads of respect, show very little in return, and then make up **** about not being respected enough. xlolx

Barriere is indeed more than likely the key. He's been hot in the playoffs, completing 70% of his passes for 250 ypg, 11 TD's against 3 int's, while rushing for 66 ypg and another score. Go back to the PSU game where we scored 74 and the numbers obviously get even better. But he is indeed a sophomore and got away with a couple of dangerous throws against Maine which he can't do against the Bizon.

You'd expect him to struggle against that D and given the big game scenario. If he does, I'd be surprised if we get enough stops or can run it well enough to keep up.

How would you compare this EWU team to the 2010 EWU team? This Bison team is quite a bit better than the 2010 team that lost on the red carpet.

Gil Dobie
December 26th, 2018, 08:36 AM
I posted in Crapsville last year and NDSU still won.

Are you sure that wasn't 2016 ;)

Professor Chaos
December 26th, 2018, 08:38 AM
xthumbsupx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz0VFa_4JwM

Professor Chaos
December 26th, 2018, 08:45 AM
JFC xlolx

This is why practically everyone else views NDSU fans as the most self absorbed and sensitive fan base in the history of modern athletics. Win 6 of 7, have everyone's respect, and yet you ladies are still the Ron Burgundy of FCS...

xlolx
I'll take your word for it.... #2. :D

TheKingpin28
December 26th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Are you sure that wasn't 2016 ;)Nah, I posted there in November of 2017 with Winterborn so I know it's all good.

Thundar
December 26th, 2018, 08:50 AM
JFC xlolx

xlolx

You should edit your post then, because that isn't at all how it sounds. I was simply asking who you thought had better D and was more physical per the post.

BisonBacker
December 26th, 2018, 08:57 AM
You should edit your post then, because that isn't at all how it sounds. I was simply asking who you thought had better D and was more physical per the post.

He's reading challenged. Comprehension isn't his strong suit.

kalm
December 26th, 2018, 09:05 AM
How would you compare this EWU team to the 2010 EWU team? This Bison team is quite a bit better than the 2010 team that lost on the red carpet.

That team had better receivers and one REALLY great running back in Taiwan Jones. Bo Levi Mitchell struggled at times that season coming nowhere close to the yardage he picked up the next year when he won the Payton. But he was great when he had to be. It was a veteran oline as well, similar to this one but I don't think as big.

On defense, you had Matt Johnson at safety who could take away half the field or the opposing team's best threat like he did with Sczur from Nova. JC Sherritt was a tackle machine at LB, winning the Buchanon that year and he was complimented nicely by Zack Johnson. Up front you had stalwart Tyler Jolley and an NFL type tackle in Renard Williams.

That year's team played a ton of close games including in the conference.

This year's team has less standouts on D but has given up 4 fewer ppg. Ketner Kupp is a solid LB who might have a shot to play on Sundays and Sophomore, Chris Ojoh is the #2 tackler on the team despite not starting until 6 or 7 games in. The corners are also a strength and there's depth for for the nickel package. If Tiuli plays we're pretty good up front. If not, that might become a significant weakness.

This year's offense is just as balanced if not more run heavy. There are 4 quality backs in rotation and we throw to the TE's much more. We're averaging around 5 more ppg on that side of the ball.

Special Teams: We've given up some longer runs in the return game but Alcobendas is a first team AA kicker and a hell of a punter. Probably better overall than the 2010 squad.

kalm
December 26th, 2018, 09:08 AM
He's reading challenged. Comprehension isn't his strong suit.

* writing. I need to learn to account for my audience.

BisonBacker
December 26th, 2018, 09:18 AM
* writing. I need to learn to account for my audience.

Audience? Don't flatter yourself.

kalm
December 26th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Audience? Don't flatter yourself.

Admit it...you can't quit me. xhugx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2018, 10:52 AM

Really I don't give 2 sh**s what you think or any other fanbase and your perceived lack of respect given your team.

This is a fan board. Seems to me the sensitive little flowers are you and others whining about lack of respect given.

Looking forward to seeing if EWU will prove they are not a soft team.

kalm
December 26th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Really I don't give 2 sh**s what you think or any other fanbase and your perceived lack of respect given your team.

This is a fan board. Seems to me the sensitive little flowers are you and others whining about lack of respect given.

Looking forward to seeing if EWU will prove they are not a soft team.

Yet here you are. xlolx

BTW, this an FCS discussion board, not a fan board. Your view that it is a fan board explains quite a bit. xlolxxlolx

Don't get me wrong. There are many high caliber NDSU fans out there and EWU, just like all fanbases has their turds too. NDSU just seems to have a higher density of posters who, regardless of platform (AGS, Facebook) seem to be starved for attention and like to create phantom insults of the Bizon like you did here.

But it's highly entertaining and you certainly have earned the right to crow so by all means carry on. xthumbsupx

Outsider1
December 26th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Turds are still turds no matter how you slice them...... And they all get flushed sooner or later.....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29779&stc=1

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Yet here you are. xlolx

BTW, this an FCS discussion board, not a fan board. Your view that it is a fan board explains quite a bit. xlolxxlolx

Don't get me wrong. There are many high caliber NDSU fans out there and EWU, just like all fanbases has their turds too. NDSU just seems to have a higher density of posters who, regardless of platform (AGS, Facebook) seem to be starved for attention and like to create phantom insults of the Bizon like you did here.

But it's highly entertaining and you certainly have earned the right to crow so by all means carry on. xthumbsupx

Ya, I am here weed boy.

This is a fan forum. FCS fan forum which Troy does a great job with. I, like many, appreciates what he does and the time/effort he puts into it.

Crow I will. I'll be enjoying the game in Frisco with 18K other Bison faithful while you'll be plopping your fat butt on the couch watching the Bison win #7. Is that 500 bucks going to cut into your Mary Jane fund?

JMUisat14
December 26th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Ya, I am here weed boy.

This is a fan forum. FCS fan forum which Troy does a great job with. I, like many, appreciates what he does and the time/effort he puts into it.

Crow I will. I'll be enjoying the game in Frisco with 18K other Bison faithful while you'll be plopping your fat butt on the couch watching the Bison win #7. Is that 500 bucks going to cut into your Mary Jane fund?

LOL @ using mj use as an insult in 2018, you must be ancient. Get with the times gramps.

Outsider1
December 26th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Ya, I am here weed boy.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29780&stc=1

POD Knows
December 26th, 2018, 03:15 PM
LOL @ using mj use as an insult in 2018, you must be ancient. Get with the times gramps.
Reefer??

TheKingpin28
December 26th, 2018, 03:16 PM
LOL @ using mj use as an insult in 2018, you must be ancient. Get with the times gramps.Gramps? Geesh what are you, 12?

Outsider1
December 26th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Gramps? Geesh what are you, 12?

I think gramps is hilarious if it offends enough to illicit this, lol....

TheKingpin28
December 26th, 2018, 03:22 PM
I think gramps is hilarious if it offends enough to illicit this, lol....Not offended.

Outsider1
December 26th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Not offended.

Nah, you just had to get superiorly snarky, lol.....

TheKingpin28
December 26th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Nah, you just had to get superiorly snarky, lol.....I went to a state school. If I wanted to get snarky, I would have gone to GFCC or some "flagship" school.

BisonFan02
December 26th, 2018, 03:31 PM
I went to a state school. If I wanted to get snarky, I would have gone to GFCC or some "flagship" school.

Public school plebes.

Outsider1
December 26th, 2018, 03:36 PM
I went to a state school. If I wanted to get snarky, I would have gone to GFCC or some "flagship" school.

Man it just keeps getting better, lol.....

kalm
December 26th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Ya, I am here weed boy.

xlolx

Woopsie. Must of hit a nerve for you to pull out the weed epithets (usually reserved for the poli board) and feel a need to justify your appreciation of the FCS DISCUSSION FORUM (as it's so named). I never once doubted or inferred that you didn't enjoy AGS and Troy's fine work. I do too and it's been too long since I've donated to the cause. Chances are I will be doing so soon.

Tell you what. This thread started with some pleasant back and forth about football and mutual respect so let's go back to that, okay? I will try to avoid hurting your tender feelings in this thread from here on out.

And how did you know my ass is fat?

Stalker....xsmhx

Still friends?

BisonFan02
December 26th, 2018, 03:45 PM
xlolx

Woopsie. Must of hit a nerve for you to pull out the weed epithets (usually reserved for the poli board) and feel a need to justify your appreciation of the FCS DISCUSSION FORUM (as it's so named). I never once doubted or inferred that you didn't enjoy AGS and Troy's fine work. I do too and it's been too long since I've donated to the cause. Chances are I will be doing so soon.

Tell you what. This thread started with some pleasant back and forth about football and mutual respect so let's go back to that, okay? I will try to avoid hurting your tender feelings in this thread from here on out.

Stalker....xsmhx

Still friends?

Whatever Cheech. :D

kalm
December 26th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Whatever Cheech. :D

Why you dirty rotten sumofabitch!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2018, 04:20 PM
xlolx

Stalker....xsmhx

Still friends?

I'll refrain from continuing this crap in the football forum. Go start a smack thread and I'll more than spare in there.

Friends?

xlolx....we would never be friends outside of here or anywhere....xnodx

uni88
December 26th, 2018, 04:46 PM
You could be entirely right but we’ve been hearing this since we 2010...especially the Delaware game. Along the way we’ve faced many teams that are more physical and play much better defense (then EWU). A few times that’s been true but mostly it hasn’t.

We shall see.

FYP, it was implied but apparently needed to be stated.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kalm
December 26th, 2018, 05:01 PM
FYP, it was implied but apparently needed to be stated.

Thx, homey!

TheKingpin28
December 26th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Public school plebes.Good ole Jimmies.

Prime Power
December 26th, 2018, 09:00 PM
NDSU 51 EWU 17 game will be close for a quarter.

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2018, 09:15 PM
That team had better receivers and one REALLY great running back in Taiwan Jones. Bo Levi Mitchell struggled at times that season coming nowhere close to the yardage he picked up the next year when he won the Payton. But he was great when he had to be. It was a veteran oline as well, similar to this one but I don't think as big.

On defense, you had Matt Johnson at safety who could take away half the field or the opposing team's best threat like he did with Sczur from Nova. JC Sherritt was a tackle machine at LB, winning the Buchanon that year and he was complimented nicely by Zack Johnson. Up front you had stalwart Tyler Jolley and an NFL type tackle in Renard Williams.

That year's team played a ton of close games including in the conference.

This year's team has less standouts on D but has given up 4 fewer ppg. Ketner Kupp is a solid LB who might have a shot to play on Sundays and Sophomore, Chris Ojoh is the #2 tackler on the team despite not starting until 6 or 7 games in. The corners are also a strength and there's depth for for the nickel package. If Tiuli plays we're pretty good up front. If not, that might become a significant weakness.

This year's offense is just as balanced if not more run heavy. There are 4 quality backs in rotation and we throw to the TE's much more. We're averaging around 5 more ppg on that side of the ball.

Special Teams: We've given up some longer runs in the return game but Alcobendas is a first team AA kicker and a hell of a punter. Probably better overall than the 2010 squad.

forget about all that BS, you guys got a gift in 2010 with one of the worst spots in the history of college football

Red & Black
December 27th, 2018, 12:32 AM
I'll refrain from continuing this crap in the football forum. Go start a smack thread and I'll more than spare in there.

Friends?

My, we’re grumpy.

kalm
December 27th, 2018, 03:34 AM
forget about all that BS, you guys got a gift in 2010 with one of the worst spots in the history of college football

Ssshhhhh...quiet. Relevant programs are talking....

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 27th, 2018, 05:55 AM
NDSU 51 EWU 17 game will be close for a quarter.

I was thinking 42-20 but this will do also....xnodx

Same formula for the Bison: lean hard on the run game, play action pass and play sound good defense.

dewey
December 27th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Good morning all,

Here is a link to the podcast of the Bison 1660 am The Insiders show. The 26 December show has an interview with Eastern Washington head coach Aaron Best at about the 1:15:00 mark. Pretty much all title game talk from the very beginning if you want to listen to all of it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/sets/the-insiders

My prediction
NDSU 48
EWU 28

There was talk of Gage Gubrud playing at about the 5:45 mark. With the way Barriere is playing I would be shocked to see them bring out Gage Gubrud.

Hero Sports named Aaron Best the FCS Coach of the Year. Congratulations Coach Best.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/22/aaron-best-is-best-eastern-washington-football-coa/

EWU offensive line has combined for 128 combined starts....WOW.

Enjoy.

Dewey

NDSUtk
December 27th, 2018, 08:09 AM
To make this interesting, EWU needs to have improved their depth on defense. Kalm and others - are you deeper or are your starters better? I know you've discussed your defense being better but I'm curious how you achieved that. Are you rotating a bunch of guys up front to stay fresh?

Reason I point to that, last year it was 19-13 NDSU with 11 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. The rest of the game played out with total NDSU domination. EWU barely had 3 minutes of possession.

EWU: 3 drives, 11 plays, 37 yards, 3:06 TOP

NDSU: 4 drives, 39 plays, 268 yards, 22:50 TOP and 21 points.

(Credit Jeff Culhane for the stats)

If EWU's D doesn't have the depth to go 4 quarters, I just can't see EWU keeping it close in the second half.

I fully expect a 1 score game going into half, and EWU may even be leading because NDSU will likely give up a big pass play or two as we seem to always do and especially with EWU wide out speed we will get burned. Just need to bounce back and adjust from that

It's the second half where the money is made in my opinion.

dewey
December 27th, 2018, 08:29 AM
To make this interesting, EWU needs to have improved their depth on defense. Kalm and others - are you deeper or are your starters better? I know you've discussed your defense being better but I'm curious how you achieved that. Are you rotating a bunch of guys up front to stay fresh?

Reason I point to that, last year it was 19-13 NDSU with 11 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. The rest of the game played out with total NDSU domination. EWU barely had 3 minutes of possession.

If EWU's D doesn't have the depth to go 4 quarters, I just can't see EWU keeping it close in the second half.

I fully expect a 1 score game going into half, and EWU may even be leading because NDSU will likely give up a big pass play or two as we seem to always do and especially with EWU wide out speed we will get burned. Just need to bounce back and adjust from that

That is also the point where Tiuli went out. Not saying he was the complete difference but the floodgates opened when he went out. Obviously the NDSU D played lights out but only needed to defend on 11 plays in the 2nd half.

With the felon assault it will be interesting to see how coach Best handles that situation.

Dewey

Hammerhead
December 27th, 2018, 08:33 AM

Even worse than the overtime fumble/notAfumble was an EWU player pulling a Bison down by the leg after the play and NDSU gets the personal foul, which effectively killed the drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsG4QKv6KOI

POD Knows
December 27th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Even worse than the overtime fumble/notAfumble was an EWU player pulling a Bison down by the leg after the play and NDSU gets the personal foul, which effectively killed the drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsG4QKv6KOIHow about that announcer talking out of his ass when he didn't have a clue what actually happened on the play.

kalm
December 27th, 2018, 09:08 AM

Great questions/points and the simple answer....everything is better.

This is DC Jeff Schmedding's 4th season at the helm and just like the team, he's learning and improving.

It also comes after what I think was a concerted effort to recruit heavier on defense during Baldwin's last few years. We're seeing better athletes on that side of the ball and greater size in the secondary.

Schematically, we shifted our base to a 4-2-5 with a hybrid rover. It's still the Big Sky and you face pass happy offenses, but there's a bunch more running and RPO stuff so the versatility of the extra DB who can drop down into run support when needed has helped.

We have greater depth. Not just in the two deep and through platooning up front (which we've always done) but we have some underclassmen stepping up and having big games.

Regarding 4 quarters that remains to be seen. Almost every team struggles with this when they face the Bizon. Throw out the Wazzu game (which was a catastrophe where they jumped all over us in the the 4th) and we've given up an average of 8 second half ppg, and an average of 4 in the final quarter. We've pitched 2 second half shutouts and 8 4th quarter shutouts. Definitely a 2nd half team.

The running game has also helped all of this.

I agree that we'll probably need a stop or two in the 4th quarter to win.

kalm
December 27th, 2018, 09:19 AM
How about that announcer talking out of his ass when he didn't have a clue what actually happened on the play.

That's what you get for messing with one of the Johnson twins. Punk had it coming. xlolx

POD Knows
December 27th, 2018, 09:26 AM
That's what you get for messing with one of the Johnson twins. Punk had it coming. xlolx:D I remember I was watching that game in a bar some place, pretty piled up with a bunch of other people that were pretty piled up, and it got kind of loud in there after that call. Bison had the game, gave up a big drive though but the officiating, at least on a couple instances, was pretty bad. That PF call was worse than the fumble call in my Bison homer opinion.

dewey
December 27th, 2018, 09:31 AM
NDSU had numerous chances to win that game.
-Last NDSU drive NDSU had a chance to get a 3rd and short-medium...EWU got the stop.
-EWU's last drive. How many 4th downs did the Eagles convert? Short answer is NDSU missed an opportunity to end the game there.

Kudos to the Eagles as on that day as they made the plays they needed to in order to win the game and eventually win the National Championship.

Dewey

Redbird 4th & short
December 27th, 2018, 10:32 AM
-Last NDSU drive NDSU had a chance to get a 3rd and short-medium...EWU got the stop.
-EWU's last drive. How many 4th downs did the Eagles convert? Short answer is NDSU missed an opportunity to end the game there.

Kudos to the Eagles as on that day as they made the plays they needed to in order to win the game and eventually win the National Championship.

Dewey
small world .. 2010 was also the last time my ISUr beat NDSU as well .. except it was regular season, and before their FCS run of Natty's. Sooooo ... no one cares.

Professor Chaos
December 27th, 2018, 10:47 AM

Dewey
I still remember one of those passes that was batted at the line or by a defender and the ball fluttered up the air for what seemed like an eternity falling right in between about 3 NDSU defenders trying to get to it. That was in a situation where an INT would've sealed the game.

Professor Chaos
December 27th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Btw, if anyone is still interested in a fairly cheap ticket option I just got an email saying that the NCAA will be selling standing room tickets (for $75 a piece most likely) next Wednesday 1/2 at 11am ET.

NDSUtk
December 27th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Btw, if anyone is still interested in a fairly cheap ticket option I just got an email saying that the NCAA will be selling standing room tickets (for $75 a piece most likely) next Wednesday 1/2 at 11am ET.$65 plus fees according to the link.

Bisonator
December 27th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Another 2016 will not happen again IMO. The Bison used a 3 man rush against Gubrub and it almost cost them the game. This year's defense is much better at passing rushing the QB.

EWU doesn't face an offense like the Bison's ever in the Big Sky. Cal Poly's option is not a good comparison. NDSU's G-gap power and FB lead runs are not too common in college FB today.
There's no such thing as G-gap so stop using that, it's A-gap. ;)

Just a pet peeve of mine when I see it. xthumbsupx

TheKingpin28
December 27th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Btw, if anyone is still interested in a fairly cheap ticket option I just got an email saying that the NCAA will be selling standing room tickets (for $75 a piece most likely) next Wednesday 1/2 at 11am ET.POD get in here.

TheKingpin28
December 27th, 2018, 12:03 PM

Just a pet peeve of mine when I see it. xthumbsupxI mean, doesn't the Guard pull and try and take the LB out so the RB can go one one with the safety, hence the term G-Gap up the A-Gap seam?

Red & Black
December 27th, 2018, 12:11 PM

The defense is better, but that’s really only half of the equation IMO. The fact that we’re greatly improved in running the ball this year means that the D is on the field less. More long sustained drives, even if we’ve still had quite a few big plays for quick scores.

POD Knows
December 27th, 2018, 12:17 PM
POD get in here.

Sent from my SM-J727V using TapatalkI already have tickets, I am covered I think.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 27th, 2018, 12:25 PM

Just a pet peeve of mine when I see it. xthumbsupx

I was taught it was G-gap up the A-B-C hole. Old habit for me.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 27th, 2018, 12:27 PM

If they bring down extra defenders in the box, ES will pick them apart. They stay in that 4-2-5, they will get run out of the stadium.

NDSU runs away with this in the 2nd half.

Professor Chaos
December 27th, 2018, 12:40 PM
If they bring down extra defenders in the box, ES will pick them apart. They stay in that 4-2-5, they will get run out of the stadium.

NDSU runs away with this in the 2nd half.
Likely the case but I'm sure they'll still load the box and hope that Easton misfires or misreads for incompletions or, even better for the defense, interceptions.

The incredible thing about this NDSU offense is their run game is so dominant that teams consistently pick the "make the (possible) Payton award winner who's #2 in the nation in pass efficiency and a likely NFL draft pick at QB throw it to beat us" approach. Think about that... it's truly a pick your poison approach. It's the right approach though if you want to have any shot to beat NDSU. The two teams that have held NDSU's offense down the best (SDSU #1 and YSU) have been able to hold down NDSU's interior run game and kept Stick out of rhythm in the pass game. Another thing is those two teams both have some good press corners. Can EWU's corners jam NDSU's recievers and throw off their timing so if Stick is forced to go the air he isn't in rhythm? We'll see.

Bisonator
December 27th, 2018, 12:53 PM
I mean, doesn't the Guard pull and try and take the LB out so the RB can go one one with the safety, hence the term G-Gap up the A-Gap seam?

There is no such term used as G-gap. There is the A-gap which is between the center and guards, the B-gap which is between the guards and tackles and C-gap is between tackle and TE, outside the TE is called D-gap.

You don't always pull a guard, sometimes you pull your center or tackle.

TheKingpin28
December 27th, 2018, 12:56 PM
I already have tickets, I am covered I think.For the SRO part? Isn't that your mojo?

TheKingpin28
December 27th, 2018, 01:00 PM
There is no such term used as G-gap. There is the A-gap which is between the center and guards, the B-gap which is between the guards and tackles and C-gap is between tackle and TE, outside the TE is called D-gap.

You don't always pull a guard, sometimes you pull your center or tackle.If its A-Gap, you can't pull your center. You can only shuffle them up field and have the Guards pinch to create a seam. I know why people call it G-Gap power and I get it, hell our high school coach who ran the ****ty ****ing spread called it G-Gap every once in awhile when referring to the A-Gap, but it's not that big of a deal.

Bisonator
December 27th, 2018, 01:11 PM
If its A-Gap, you can't pull your center. You can only shuffle them up field and have the Guards pinch to create a seam. I know why people call it G-Gap power and I get it, hell our high school coach who ran the ****ty ****ing spread called it G-Gap every once in awhile when referring to the A-Gap, but it's not that big of a deal.

Doesn't make it right though, if you want to keep looking foolish go ahead and use G-gap. ;)

BisonFan02
December 27th, 2018, 01:15 PM
If its A-Gap, you can't pull your center. You can only shuffle them up field and have the Guards pinch to create a seam. I know why people call it G-Gap power and I get it, hell our high school coach who ran the ****ty ****ing spread called it G-Gap every once in awhile when referring to the A-Gap, but it's not that big of a deal.

Just stop...

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/picture1.png

BisonFan02
December 27th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Here's a typical blocking technique for A gap power.....

https://youthfootballonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/A-gap-power-1.png

BisonFan02
December 27th, 2018, 01:22 PM
Also of note....here's a good illustration of a style of 3-4 defense that has occasionally given NDSU fits....especially if the team has the NT and LBs to execute.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/001/456/181/a4ad0a8bf483f7521d6b48dbc837ec71_original.png?1396 008275

TheKingpin28
December 27th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Doesn't make it right though, if you want to keep looking foolish go ahead and use G-gap. ;)No problem. I'd be glad to be called foolish, even if I agreed it's called A-Gap. Considering, as I said, the guard pulls and takes on the LB and the Center doesn't pull, which you tried to tell me he does, I guess we are both foolish. xlolx

BisonFan02
December 27th, 2018, 01:29 PM
No problem. I'd be glad to be called foolish, even if I agreed it's called A-Gap. Considering, as I said, the guard pulls and takes on the LB and the Center doesn't pull, which you tried to tell me he does, I guess we are both foolish. xlolx

Centers pull all the time....ever watch Volson? You can do it from anywhere as long as the O-line knows their assignment. It keeps the 1st level of the defense on their toes having to "guess" where the blocker will pursue.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 27th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Likely the case but I'm sure they'll still load the box and hope that Easton misfires or misreads for incompletions or, even better for the defense, interceptions.

The incredible thing about this NDSU offense is their run game is so dominant that teams consistently pick the "make the (possible) Payton award winner who's #2 in the nation in pass efficiency and a likely NFL draft pick at QB throw it to beat us" approach. Think about that... it's truly a pick your poison approach. It's the right approach though if you want to have any shot to beat NDSU. The two teams that have held NDSU's offense down the best (SDSU #1 and YSU) have been able to hold down NDSU's interior run game and kept Stick out of rhythm in the pass game. Another thing is those two teams both have some good press corners. Can EWU's corners jam NDSU's recievers and throw off their timing so if Stick is forced to go the air he isn't in rhythm? We'll see.

This is why I think this game will be the same ol song and dance of games. The run game is pounding people and if you concentrate on that, ES will make you pay. Must be tough for opposing DCs to game plan.

It will be interesting to see how they defend right away.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 27th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Also of note....here's a good illustration of a style of 3-4 defense that has occasionally given NDSU fits....especially if the team has the NT and LBs to execute.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/001/456/181/a4ad0a8bf483f7521d6b48dbc837ec71_original.png?1396 008275

Looks like the Steelers defense that actually was good when Polomalu was there....

BisonFan02
December 27th, 2018, 01:32 PM
Looks like the Steelers defense that actually was good when Polomalu was there....

Gotta have a pretty good 2nd level to make it work....I like the fact that NDSU is able to recruit the DL to run a 4-3 though....

TheKingpin28
December 27th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Centers pull all the time....ever watch Volson? You can do it from anywhere as long as the O-line knows their assignment. It keeps the 1st level of the defense on their toes having to "guess" where the blocker will pursue.In traditional A-Gap, the center shouldn't pull but instead push the NT out the way so the other G can take the DT on and the pulling G takes on the LB.

BisonFan02
December 27th, 2018, 01:39 PM
In traditional A-Gap, the center shouldn't pull but instead push the NT out the way so the other G can take the DT on and the pulling G takes on the LB.

The center is on the A gap and obviously can't "pull" into their own gap....but power can be run in B gap or outside as well....NDSU will do it in various ways depending on what the D will show as a front. You'll notice Volson pulling outside all the time or in B gaps....especially against a 3-4. NT is guessing which guard will be smacking him around or sometimes double teamed.

TheKingpin28
December 27th, 2018, 01:40 PM
The center is on the A gap and obviously can't "pull" into their own gap....but power can be run in B gap or outside as well....NDSU will do it in various ways depending on what the D will show as a front. You'll notice Volson pulling outside all the time or in B gaps....especially against a 3-4. NT is guessing which guard will be smacking him around or sometimes double teamed.I get that, but he was referring to the A-Gap which is why I kept posting what I was posting in that the Center can't pull.

BisonFan02
December 27th, 2018, 01:43 PM
I get that, but he was referring to the A-Gap which is why I kept posting what I was posting in that the Center can't pull.

He talked about a center pulling but not specifically in the A gap. That was just a comment clarifying the mythical "G gap" you guys are talking about. You might find that one before you find the "G spot" though. :D

Bisonator
December 27th, 2018, 01:47 PM
In traditional A-Gap, the center shouldn't pull but instead push the NT out the way so the other G can take the DT on and the pulling G takes on the LB.

Of course the center doesn't pull in an A-gap power run but a guard isn't always either. Could be a tackle, TE or just the FB. It's still A-gap. Not G-gap. Get the guard and therefore G out of your mind.

frozennorth
December 27th, 2018, 01:48 PM
I wish NDSU ran more c-gap power

Bisonator
December 27th, 2018, 01:49 PM
I get that, but he was referring to the A-Gap which is why I kept posting what I was posting in that the Center can't pull.

JFC.....xlolx

TheRevSFA
December 27th, 2018, 01:58 PM
He talked about a center pulling but not specifically in the A gap. That was just a comment clarifying the mythical "G gap" you guys are talking about. You might find that one before you find the "G spot" though. :D

They both are mythical

uni88
December 27th, 2018, 02:15 PM

Friends?

Uh Oh Kalm ...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ourgang/images/b/be/Fishytales.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100331124536

BFNWM wants to meet you in a smack thread after school.
xcoolx

POD Knows
December 27th, 2018, 02:27 PM
For the SRO part? Isn't that your mojo?

No. My mojo is to have a ticket for an actual seat and then stand. It is very powerful

TheKingpin28
December 27th, 2018, 02:28 PM
No. My mojo is to have a ticket for an actual seat and then stand. It is very powerful#BookIt

Professor Chaos
December 27th, 2018, 02:29 PM
This is why I think this game will be the same ol song and dance of games. The run game is pounding people and if you concentrate on that, ES will make you pay. Must be tough for opposing DCs to game plan.

It will be interesting to see how they defend right away.
Yep, it's one of the main reasons why NDSU hasn't dropped a game and has had one game within a 10 point margin this year.

I think the most underrated part about having a defense that can match up with NDSU is having good press corners because unless you're an elite FBS level defense you're going to need to commit 8 or more to defend the run every snap. Stick and Messingham has been masterful at using that mentality against the defense this year and it's why Stick's passer efficiency is now above 170. NDSU's WRs outside of Shepherd are nothing special but if you let them get free or easy releases off the line you've got very little chance at stopping the NDSU offense from consistently moving the chains because, even if you're able to bottle up the run, Stick will get in a rhythm throwing the ball when he needs to and it'll be lights out for the defense from there.

NDSU1980
December 27th, 2018, 03:50 PM

DeweyWhat I found so frustrating was twice in the 4th quarter we had EWU at 4th and 20 and both times they got the first down. I'm sure our D was tired and those guys played their hearts out but you just can't be giving them a chance when it's 4th and 20.

kalm
December 27th, 2018, 04:42 PM
What I found so frustrating was twice in the 4th quarter we had EWU at 4th and 20 and both times they got the first down. I'm sure our D was tired and those guys played their hearts out but you just can't be giving them a chance when it's 4th and 20.

Our version of “the catch” to Nick Edwards over the middle where he bobbles it before pulling it in. That drive to tie it up was so improbable because we had basically done nothing that half.

Bisonoline
December 27th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Our version of “the catch” to Nick Edwards over the middle where he bobbles it before pulling it in. That drive to tie it up was so improbable because we had basically done nothing that half.

That was on the last drive?

caribbeanhen
December 27th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Ssshhhhh...quiet. Relevant programs are talking....

talking ****

They might be relevant in FCS but FCS ain't relevant so say the blank stares I get whenever I try to talk about FCS football at work

TheRevSFA
December 27th, 2018, 05:39 PM
Did anyone ever find the G Gap?

BisonFan02
December 27th, 2018, 05:50 PM

It's on planet Uranus.

POD Knows
December 27th, 2018, 06:02 PM
Did anyone ever find the G Gap?There is no such thing, it is made up

Bisonator
December 27th, 2018, 06:18 PM

Keep looking.:)

kalm
December 27th, 2018, 06:36 PM
That was on the last drive?

Yes. To tie it up.

Da Bison
December 27th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Did anyone ever find the G Gap?I think it's pretty close to the G spot😎

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
December 27th, 2018, 06:53 PM
I think it's pretty close to the G spot

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

https://media.giphy.com/media/gIKKMpjkSN8Ck/giphy.gif

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 27th, 2018, 07:49 PM
There is no such thing, it is made up

My old HS coach used that term when the guard would pull. I use it....old habit.

TheRevSFA
December 27th, 2018, 08:27 PM
My old HS coach used that term when the guard would pull. I use it....old habit.

Was that before or after the forward pass was made legal?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 27th, 2018, 08:29 PM

...and you think I'm how old?.......xtroublex.....

TheRevSFA
December 27th, 2018, 08:33 PM
...and you think I'm how old?.......xtroublex.....

xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 27th, 2018, 08:36 PM
xlolx

You still making the journey north to Frisco for the game?

Looking forward to putting a face to the Rev sig name on AGS....xnodx

Have the bar set real low for me and you'll be slightly surprised.....xthumbsupx

POD Knows
December 27th, 2018, 08:46 PM
My old HS coach used that term when the guard would pull. I use it....old habit.:D I wasn't talking about or referencing football and I don't think the Rev was with his post either.

cx500d
December 27th, 2018, 09:00 PM
It was slightly before the drop kick fell out of fashion

TheRevSFA
December 27th, 2018, 09:20 PM
You still making the journey north to Frisco for the game?

Looking forward to putting a face to the Rev sig name on AGS....xnodx

Have the bar set real low for me and you'll be slightly surprised.....xthumbsupx

i should get up there around 1pm on Friday. IBY is my NDSU Sherpa.

TheRevSFA
December 27th, 2018, 09:20 PM
:D I wasn't talking about or referencing football and I don't think the Rev was with his post either.

Correct

IBleedYellow
December 27th, 2018, 09:23 PM
i should get up there around 1pm on Friday. IBY is my NDSU Sherpa.You have high expectations and I will fail you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

TheRevSFA
December 27th, 2018, 09:24 PM
You have high expectations and I will fail you.

My expectations are beer and whiskey. Not that high

IBleedYellow
December 27th, 2018, 09:48 PM
My expectations are beer and whiskey. Not that highShots. Good.

cx500d
December 27th, 2018, 09:51 PM
My expectations are beer and whiskey. Not that high
Whiskeycake is decent if you want whiskey....of course the namesake is a pretty good dessert

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 28th, 2018, 06:06 AM
Looks like all the NDSU RBs are good to go for the title game.

Anderson
Dunn
Brooks
Wilson

Over/under on NDSU's rushing yards?

I thought if the Bison would get around 250+ for the semi final game they would beat SDSU and they got 439. Same scenario here IMO. ES will have the green light to run also.

Good luck to EWU's defense in trying to defend this offense...xnodx

WeAreThePride
December 28th, 2018, 06:53 AM
I think Eastern needs to score 50 to win this one.

dewey
December 28th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Looks like all the NDSU RBs are good to go for the title game.

Anderson
Dunn
Brooks
Wilson

Over/under on NDSU's rushing yards?

I thought if the Bison would get around 250+ for the semi final game they would beat SDSU and they got 439. Same scenario here IMO. ES will have the green light to run also.

Good luck to EWU's defense in trying to defend this offense...xnodx

I am surprised to see Dunn is available. I had heard that he may be out with his elbow issue.

Nice to have the full stable of RB's.

I think NDSU runs for over 300 yards.

Dewey

Thumper 76
December 28th, 2018, 10:11 AM
I was gunna quote and respond to the silly gap nonsense going on here, but that’s halfway hashed out I guess. Do you ndsu fans realize that in the vast majority of schemes the term “gap” is a defensive phrase while offense numbers them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
December 28th, 2018, 10:15 AM
I was gunna quote and respond to the silly gap nonsense going on here, but that’s halfway hashed out I guess. Do you ndsu fans realize that in the vast majority of schemes the term “gap” is a defensive phrase while offense numbers them?

#141cutback

Thumper 76
December 28th, 2018, 10:16 AM
#141cutback

#26power

BisonFan02
December 28th, 2018, 10:23 AM
#26power

Pffff......ask the POD....he'll tell ya.

Thumper 76
December 28th, 2018, 10:32 AM

26 power will always have a special place in my heart from the old hs days. I always got to be the hammer on those plays. Good times.

kalm
December 28th, 2018, 10:32 AM
I think Eastern needs to score 50 to win this one.

You could be right and I think a lower scoring game favors EWU. But what evidence gives you the idea that NDSU will score 49 on Eastern?

POD Knows
December 28th, 2018, 10:34 AM
The 141 and 140 cutback and cutback trap are the greatest plays ever for 9 man football. We also used numbers for gaps on offense, even number holes were left of the center and odd were right, the first number of the play was the formation, the second number was the back that got the ball and the third number was the hole or gap. I wish I could find my high school playbook, I know I saved it, I just don't know where it is. We also ran the veer, a veer play to the right would be a 125 veer which meant the left halfback, the 2 back, would be the pitch guy and the 3 back would get the dive handoff/fake and it was a read play to the 3 back.

Thumper 76
December 28th, 2018, 10:36 AM
The 141 and 140 cutback and cutback trap are the greatest plays ever for 9 man football. We also used numbers for gaps on offense, even number holes were left of the center and odd were right, the first number of the play was the formation, the second number was the back that got the ball and the third number was the hole or gap. I wish I could find my high school playbook, I know I saved it, I just don't know where it is. We also ran the veer, a veer play to the right would be a 125 veer which meant the left halfback, the 2 back, would be the pitch guy and the 3 back would get the dive handoff/fake and it was a read play to the 3 back.

We had even to the right, but I know some places had it flipped.

Thumper 76
December 28th, 2018, 10:37 AM
One last thing. #centerscantpull

https://youtu.be/AOYnCYlZTV4
https://youtu.be/808GlP-7AKQ
https://youtu.be/kkQcS5gzw9c

WeAreThePride
December 28th, 2018, 12:33 PM
You could be right and I think a lower scoring game favors EWU. But what evidence gives you the idea that NDSU will score 49 on Eastern?
Our offense has put up 42 points per game, almost entirely in the first 3 quarters. I think the starting offense is good for 49 against the 20th ranked scoring defense in a 4 quarter game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 28th, 2018, 12:47 PM

91% red zone offense for the Bison. When they get inside the 20 they usually score.

Plus NDSU has the #1 red zone defense. Only given up 7 red zone TDs in 14 games.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 28th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Our offense has put up 42 points per game, almost entirely in the first 3 quarters. I think the starting offense is good for 49 against the 20th ranked scoring defense in a 4 quarter game.

Plus EWU gives up 100 more yards/game.

The Bison are better in every defensive metric.

If NDSU scored 49 they win this going away because no way does EWU score more than 3-4 TDs.

kalm
December 28th, 2018, 01:26 PM

We gave up 19 ppg against FCS competition this season including 17, 19, and 20 to three top 20 rushing offenses in MSU, Nicholls, and CPU. But our pass D is probably the better of the two units. We gave 24.5 ppg to the #3 passing offense in UC Davis who also had some balance running the ball.

I can see us giving up 30+ but I'd be surprised to see us give up 40+. I'm thinking mid 30's in a tight game and high 20's to low 30's for us to win.

We're probably similar defensively to a WIU or SDSU with more takeaways.

Then again a tight, very low scoring game wouldn't be a huge shock either.

cx500d
December 28th, 2018, 02:49 PM
We gave up 19 ppg against FCS competition this season including 17, 19, and 20 to three top 20 rushing offenses in MSU, Nicholls, and CPU. But our pass D is probably the better of the two units. We gave 24.5 ppg to the #3 passing offense in UC Davis who also had some balance running the ball.

I can see us giving up 30+ but I'd be surprised to see us give up 40+. I'm thinking mid 30's in a tight game and high 20's to low 30's for us to win.

We're probably similar defensively to a WIU or SDSU with more takeaways.

Then again a tight, very low scoring game wouldn't be a huge shock either.

Cal poly- are you ****ing kidding me? MSU - are you ****ing kidding me?

clenz
December 28th, 2018, 03:20 PM
We had even to the right, but I know some places had it flipped.

My HS went left to right in order

1 was sweep left
2 was off tackle left
3 was G/T on left
4 was left of center
5 didn't exist
6 was right of center
7 was G/T on right
8 was off tackle right
9 was sweep right

fullback was 1
tailback was 2
powerback was 3

Stupid simple offense

Power I right fourteen
Power i right sixteen
Power I right twenty two
Power I left twenty two motion over (Power back motioned between FB and tailback
Power I right 34 trap (fake the 16 dive and trap the 34 over the top).
Also optioned out of it - triple and straight

We'd also use the power back as a wing back or split out at times. Sometimes split a TE out. Even get real crazy and split the power back and the TE out.

We had 3 pass plays

1. 22/28 power pass - which was exactly the same as the 22 or 28 but instead of engaging the end of lb based on look the FB would fake the block and head to the flat for a pass after the play fake on the 22/28.
2. 14/16 dump - fake the 14/16 dive and the TE on that side would instant release and the idea was he'd get the pass in stride a yard and a half down field but only have a safety to beat because everyone bit on the 14/16 (the second most common play we ran)
3.Then a basic TE drag route off of a dive look.

We were the only team I've come across that went R-L with numbers though. Most everywhere else went O/E split

We played a bunch of flex and power I offenses. There was one school I ****ing hated more than anyone else because they ran a ****ing power flex spin back bull**** offense. Take the TB out of the power I and put him at a wing spot. The offense was nearly 100% trap based. QB took the snap and instantly spun backwards and both the FB and the PB would motion through the hand off, and the wing back would motion over top like an option or sweep the other way.

As a MLB I ****ing hated it. I was getting trapped on every single play but it was always a guessing game as to which direction. I got my ass handed to me all game, every year, by the coaches for not filling gaps and I'd argue when them every time that our OLB needed to step his bitch ass up and fill the gap and make the stop. It's not a secret what's happening. Why they'd never scheme our OLB to fill that gap and just tell me "FIGHT THROUGH THE TRAP BLOCK EVERY SINGLE PLAY OF THE GAME" pissed me off

kalm
December 28th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Cal poly- are you ****ing kidding me? MSU - are you ****ing kidding me?

Cal Poly got better. We gave up almost the exact same yardage as you did to MSU...on the road. Neither was able to score much on you but we're not discussing your defense here. We were discussing ours. Do I need to point out how you had 163 yards against the #48 rushing defense in FCS? And only scored 17? To a team who lost to Butler? What I posted was not a slight on NDSU. It just disputes the idea of the Bizon putting up 49 points on a decent EWU defense.

Sorry stats bother you.

POD Knows
December 28th, 2018, 03:38 PM
My HS went left to right in order

1 was sweep left
2 was off tackle left
3 was G/T on left
4 was left of center
5 didn't exist
6 was right of center
7 was G/T on right
8 was off tackle right
9 was sweep right

fullback was 1
tailback was 2
powerback was 3

Stupid simple offense

Power I right fourteen
Power i right sixteen
Power I right twenty two
Power I left twenty two motion over (Power back motioned between FB and tailback
Power I right 34 trap (fake the 16 dive and trap the 34 over the top).
Also optioned out of it - triple and straight

We'd also use the power back as a wing back or split out at times. Sometimes split a TE out. Even get real crazy and split the power back and the TE out.

We had 3 pass plays

1. 22/28 power pass - which was exactly the same as the 22 or 28 but instead of engaging the end of lb based on look the FB would fake the block and head to the flat for a pass after the play fake on the 22/28.
2. 14/16 dump - fake the 14/16 dive and the TE on that side would instant release and the idea was he'd get the pass in stride a yard and a half down field but only have a safety to beat because everyone bit on the 14/16 (the second most common play we ran)
3.Then a basic TE drag route off of a dive look.

We were the only team I've come across that went R-L with numbers though. Most everywhere else went O/E split

We played a bunch of flex and power I offenses. There was one school I ****ing hated more than anyone else because they ran a ****ing power flex spin back bull**** offense. Take the TB out of the power I and put him at a wing spot. The offense was nearly 100% trap based. QB took the snap and instantly spun backwards and both the FB and the PB would motion through the hand off, and the wing back would motion over top like an option or sweep the other way.

As a MLB I ****ing hated it. I was getting trapped on every single play but it was always a guessing game as to which direction. I got my ass handed to me all game, every year, by the coaches for not filling gaps and I'd argue when them every time that our OLB needed to step his bitch ass up and fill the gap and make the stop. It's not a secret what's happening. Why they'd never scheme our OLB to fill that gap and just tell me "FIGHT THROUGH THE TRAP BLOCK EVERY SINGLE PLAY OF THE GAME" pissed me offThe 0 and 1 holes were to the left and right of the center between the guards, the 2 and 3 holes were between the guards and the ends/tackles (9 man football) and the 4 and 5 holes were outside the ends/tackles. We played 5 primary configurations in the back field, 1 was a standard T with the flanker or 4 back either right or left, our 2 back was the FB and the 3 back was basically a half back. The 2 formation was an I, the 3 formation was a wishbone, the 4 formation was basically an inverted wishbone with the 4 back as the "point" back, the 5 formation was two backs split, usually the 3 and 4 back and the 2 back in formation behind the QB, this would have basically been a spread formation in 9 man. Ran veer plays out of the all of the formations except the 5 formation. Also, threw the ball out of all formations. Lots of teams in the mid to late 70's played option football which we did as well.

cx500d
December 28th, 2018, 03:45 PM
The 0 and 1 holes were to the left and right of the center between the guards, the 2 and 3 holes were between the guards and the ends/tackles (9 man football) and the 4 and 5 holes were outside the ends/tackles. We played 5 primary configurations in the back field, 1 was a standard T with the flanker or 4 back either right or left, our 2 back was the FB and the 3 back was basically a half back. The 2 formation was an I, the 3 formation was a wishbone, the 4 formation was basically an inverted wishbone with the 4 back as the "point" back, the 5 formation was two backs split, usually the 3 and 4 back and the 2 back in formation behind the QB, this would have basically been a spread formation in 9 man. Ran veer plays out of the all of the formations except the 5 formation. Also, threw the ball out of all formations. Lots of teams in the mid to late 70's played option football which we did as well.
Where were the A holes?

POD Knows
December 28th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Where were the A holes?On the other side of the field

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 28th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Cal Poly got better. We gave up almost the exact same yardage as you did to MSU...on the road. Neither was able to score much on you but we're not discussing your defense here. We were discussing ours. Do I need to point out how you had 163 yards against the #48 rushing defense in FCS? And only scored 17? To a team who lost to Butler? What I posted was not a slight on NDSU. It just disputes the idea of the Bizon putting up 49 points on a decent EWU defense.

Sorry stats bother you.

Youngstown always plays the Bison tough because they are the same type of team. Go look at the scores over the years. Nice cherry picking the close game this year from them. Check out the game last year and most of the other games with YSU.

POD Knows
December 28th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Stole this from Bisonville but it is pretty funny anyway.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29792&stc=1

kalm
December 28th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Youngstown always plays the Bison tough because they are the same type of team. Go look at the scores over the years. Nice cherry picking the close game this year from them. Check out the game last year and most of the other games with YSU.

Good point. We can make the same case with Weber. I intentionally cherry picked it as an example of how decent but not lights out defense can have success against the Herd. I could have used SDSU’s first game as well they’re ranked 64th and 68th against the run and pass. Or WIU who is ranked well below us in scoring D and held you to the mid 30’s vs the 49 pts we’ve been predicted to give up.

WeAreThePride
December 28th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Good point. We can make the same case with Weber. I intentionally cherry picked it as an example of how decent but not lights out defense can have success against the Herd. I could have used SDSU’s first game as well they’re ranked 64th and 68th against the run and pass. Or WIU who is ranked well below us in scoring D and held you to the mid 30’s vs the 49 pts we’ve been predicted to give up.
I didn’t predict Eastern would give up 49, I said that Eastern would need to score 50 to win. As in, it’s still a 1 score game late in the fourth quarter, and NDSU is still trying to score rather than just run clock. I don’t think that’s very likely. I expect NDSU to win about 38 or 42 to 21 or 24.

Our offensive numbers are skewed low, because we stop trying to score with 20 minutes left in most (not all) games.

Iridebikes
December 28th, 2018, 06:02 PM

Sorry stats bother you.

Got to hand it to you KALM for having the ability to back up your position with statistics and rational arguments. Problem appears to be that with the NDSU crowd is that if it does not occur in the MVFC the it does not exist. Hang tough KALM.

kalm
December 28th, 2018, 06:10 PM
I didn’t predict Eastern would give up 49, I said that Eastern would need to score 50 to win. As in, it’s still a 1 score game late in the fourth quarter, and NDSU is still trying to score rather than just run clock. I don’t think that’s very likely. I expect NDSU to win about 38 or 42 to 21 or 24.

Our offensive numbers are skewed low, because we stop trying to score with 20 minutes left in most (not all) games.

If we didn’t give up 49, we wouldn’t need to score 50 to win.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 28th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Got to hand it to you KALM for having the ability to back up your position with statistics and rational arguments. Problem appears to be that with the NDSU crowd is that if it does not occur in the MVFC the it does not exist. Hang tough KALM.

Here is a stat: EWU gave up 380 yards rushing to Cal Poly. Take a guess how many NDSU gave up to them. Round and round with stats.

This is going to come down to LOS play and defense. NDSU is better at both.

WeAreThePride
December 28th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Oh get off the cross, we need the wood. There’s a perfectly rational discussion happening here on both sides, with statistics and defensible arguments on both sides.

WeAreThePride
December 28th, 2018, 07:27 PM
If we didn’t give up 49, we wouldn’t need to score 50 to win.
I believe there is no scenario in which Eastern wins where they score less than 50. I would give Eastern about a 1 in 8 chance to win, and it will require uncharactistic turnovers and blown defensive assignments to happen.

I don’t think NDSU will score 49, unless it is required. The Bison will score 38-42, which should be sufficient for a win.

WeAreThePride
December 28th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Here is a stat: EWU gave up 380 yards rushing to Cal Poly. Take a guess how many NDSU gave up to them. Round and round with stats.

Not to mention the best quarterback in FCS unleashed at last to run to his full potential.

kalm
December 28th, 2018, 07:32 PM

You guys did a great job of shutting down Poly. We also gave them 4 more possessions which skews the stats a little.

Bisonoline
December 28th, 2018, 07:34 PM
You guys did a great job of shutting down Poly. We also gave them 4 more possessions which skews the stats a little.

You coming to frisco?

kalm
December 28th, 2018, 07:36 PM
I believe there is no scenario in which Eastern wins where they score less than 50. I would give Eastern about a 1 in 8 chance to win, and it will require uncharactistic turnovers and blown defensive assignments to happen.

I don’t think NDSU will score 49, unless it is required. The Bison will score 38-42, which should be sufficient for a win.

Well if YSU had scored 18, SDSU 22, ISU 29, WIU 35 none of them would have needed to score 50 to beat the Bizon.

Just sayin’.

kalm
December 28th, 2018, 07:37 PM
You coming to frisco?

Unfortunately no. I’ll be watching from a friends place in Montana.

WeAreThePride
December 28th, 2018, 07:38 PM
Well if YSU had scored 18, SDSU 22, ISU 29, WIU 35 none of them would have needed to score 50 to beat the Bizon.

Just sayin’.
Are you intentionally misunderstanding me? I think I’ve been pretty clear.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 28th, 2018, 07:39 PM
Not to mention the best quarterback in FCS unleashed at last to run to his full potential.

Pick your poison for the EWU defense. Creep down in the box and ES will pick them apart with the passing game. Sit back in their base 4-2-5 and get steamrolled with the running game. Spy ES so he doesn't get big yards rushing and get beat by the play action pass.

Grind out long scoring drives and keep the EWU offense on the sidelines. Pretty much the same script for NDSU for many years.

EWU knows what they need to do defensively, now they need to execute it.

da_Bison
December 28th, 2018, 07:47 PM

Every single game the Bison play is the other teams Super Bowl, like it or not it’s a fact. If Eastern wins the next 3 titles you think it will mater during the regular season? Hell yea, you will have a huge target on your back. During the regular season I’ve said many times, damn the Bison look lackadaisical, yet most all times pull out the win. But I can tell you one thing from watching them for years in the playoffs is that they are a WHOLE different animal in the playoffs, so I wouldn’t hold a lot into regular season stats

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 28th, 2018, 07:50 PM
Every single game the Bison play is the other teams Super Bowl, like it or not it’s a fact. If Eastern wins the next 3 titles you think it will mater during the regular season? Hell yea, you will have a huge target on your back. During the regular season I’ve said many times, damn the Bison look lackadaisical, yet most all times pull out the win. But I can tell you one thing from watching them for years in the playoffs is that they are a WHOLE different animal in the playoffs, so I wouldn’t hold a lot into regular season stats

Heck, the Bison scored 35 points on the best FCS defense in history....should be able to do that against Eastern....right?

xdontknowx

:D

uni88
December 28th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Can someone provide some background info on EWU's 4-2-5 defense? Is it based on Gary Patterson's 4-2-5 with the 5th defensive back being a weak safety?

Patterson's 4-2-5 was effective against prolific offenses like Boise State and Utah in the Mountain West but was supposed to get steamrolled by Wisconsin's Oline and power run game in the Rose Bowl.

kalm
December 28th, 2018, 08:46 PM
Are you intentionally misunderstanding me? I think I’ve been pretty clear.

No. You stated EWU would need to score 50 pts to win. You didn’t say 49, 42, or 35. Hence you’re assuming NDSU will score at least 49.

I suck at math and logic but ...

Outsider1
December 28th, 2018, 09:01 PM
No. You stated EWU would need to score 50 pts to win. You didn’t say 49, 42, or 35. Hence you’re assuming NDSU will score at least 49.

I’m suck at math and logic but ...

+1 LOL xthumbsupx

Their argument is you will never stop their offense from scoring points; your defense isn't good enough, so your offense will have to be powerful enough to completely overpower them. Which to some degree, EWU will have a tough time stopping NDSU from scoring. BUT, if you do and hold them to even 1pt less than you score, you win. It doesn't have to be 50pts, 35pts, 20pts, or even 6pts. The reality is EWU doesn't have to score any more points than you need. IF you do, that is yet to be determined.

Red & Black
December 29th, 2018, 12:03 AM

Good grief, we beat Cal Poly 70-17 and played backups the ENTIRE second half. Who cares about stats in a game like that?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2018, 06:59 AM
Good grief, we beat Cal Poly 70-17 and played backups the ENTIRE second half. Who cares about stats in a game like that?

Oh really, "entire 2nd half".....looks like Gubrub was in the 4th quarter running for a TD and Eastern was throwing a TD up 56-17.....

- - - Updated - - -

+1 LOL xthumbsupx

Their argument is you will never stop their offense from scoring points; your defense isn't good enough, so your offense will have to be powerful enough to completely overpower them. Which to some degree, EWU will have a tough time stopping NDSU from scoring. BUT, if you do and hold them to even 1pt less than you score, you win. It doesn't have to be 50pts, 35pts, 20pts, or even 6pts. The reality is EWU doesn't have to score any more points than you need. IF you do, that is yet to be determined.

What a genius....xlolx

WeAreThePride
December 29th, 2018, 07:53 AM

I suck at math and logic but ...
Let me put it another way. The game will be over after the third quarter. NDSU at that point will probably have 38-42 points. NDSU probably won’t score again, because they won’t be trying to. Their goal is to grind down clock by running, and not passing.

However, IF NDSU hasn’t put EWU away after 3, I think we will probably score 49, because we will still be trying to score. In that case, EWU would need 50 to win. I think that’s the only scenario in which Eastern wins.

Red & Black
December 29th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Oh really, "entire 2nd half".....looks like Gubrub was in the 4th quarter running for a TD and Eastern was throwing a TD up 56-17.....

- - - Updated - - -

What a genius....xlolx

Stop moving the goal posts. You were referencing defensive yards given up. Gubrud doesn’t/didn’t play defense. Yes, the majority of the second half was played with backups in the game.

What’s more, Cal Poly scored 3 minutes into the second half and then never scored again. What matters more, defensive yards given up or total points allowed? Your original transitive property statement is fairly apples and oranges, IMHO. I believe that it’s hard to take away a ton from blowout wins or losses.

The only other common opponent is MSU, but there’s a lot of variance there as well. I.E. Eastern played them in Bozeman while NDSU played them at home in the playoffs. And as has been mentioned several times recently, there is no comparison between NDSU in the regular season and NDSU in the playoffs. NDSU is just a “different animal” at home in the playoffs so we clearly can’t take anything away from the MSU game, either.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Stop moving the goal posts. You were referencing defensive yards given up. Gubrud doesn’t/didn’t play defense. Yes, the majority of the second half was played with backups in the game.

What’s more, Cal Poly scored 3 minutes into the second half and then never scored again. What matters more, defensive yards given up or total points allowed? Your original transitive property statement is fairly apples and oranges, IMHO. I believe that it’s hard to take away a ton from blowout wins or losses.

The only other common opponent is MSU, but there’s a lot of variance there as well. I.E. Eastern played them in Bozeman while NDSU played them at home in the playoffs. And as has been mentioned several times recently, there is no comparison between NDSU in the regular season and NDSU in the playoffs. NDSU is just a “different animal” at home in the playoffs so we clearly can’t take anything away from the MSU game, either.

Bolded part: xlolx....You are going to use this? Really? Wouldn't you think all playoff teams get into "playoff mode" or is this just a phenomena of NDSU.....xeyebrowxxrolleyesx

As for starters playing....if you were referencing just defense then I don't know. I just looked at the game stats and noticed Gubrud still in the game when the game was a blowout. And noticed also that EWU must like to run the score up. Still throwing TD passes in the 4th quarter when the game is well in hand....

Like I mentioned earlier, this game is going to come down to defense and LOS play. NDSU is better than EWU on the LOS and on defense. We'll see next Saturday wont we.

kalm
December 29th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Bolded part: xlolx....You are going to use this? Really? Wouldn't you think all playoff teams get into "playoff mode" or is this just a phenomena of NDSU.....xeyebrowxxrolleyesx

As for starters playing....if you were referencing just defense then I don't know. I just looked at the game stats and noticed Gubrud still in the game when the game was a blowout. And noticed also that EWU must like to run the score up. Still throwing TD passes in the 4th quarter when the game is well in hand....

Like I mentioned earlier, this game is going to come down to defense and LOS play. NDSU is better than EWU on the LOS and on defense. We'll see next Saturday wont we.

FTR...Gubrud scored on a 24 yard running play with 12 minutes left and was pulled. Barriere threw a 1 yard TD, and our 4th string RB busted an 81 yard TD run later in the 4th.

Red & Black
December 29th, 2018, 09:44 AM

Sorry, the bolded was just a little humor. I’ve been told that NDSU ups their game significantly in the playoffs. Based on that logic, we shouldn’t compare regular season and playoff games against common opposition. AmIright? xlolx

Outsider1
December 29th, 2018, 09:51 AM
What a genius....xlolx[/QUOTE]

What an A-hole.... xcoffeex

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Sorry, the bolded was just a little humor. I’ve been told that NDSU ups their game significantly in the playoffs. Based on that logic, we shouldn’t compare regular season and playoff games against common opposition. AmIright? xlolx

To piggyback on "playoff mode"......every team that NDSU played in the playoffs this year was coming in with "tons" of confidence.

MSU's defense was playing very well and they were going to really challenge the Bison.
Colgate's defense was the best FCS defense ever....well, watching this game in person, I could see which defense was the best....and it wasn't close.
SDSU: records do not matter with these 2 teams lately. This 2nd half beat down by the Bison is not a normal game between these 2 teams as of late.

Now comes EWU. They are better defensively from what I have watched. I like your coach and he is getting both lines better and IMO that is the way to win at this level....probably any level. I'm not going to talk about the offenses now because IMO, defense is what wins you games like this.

Kudos to EWU, they are putting significant emphasis on defense now compared to the past. Add that to a very good offense and that is what makes a championship caliber team.

Now the question is: Is that improved EWU defense good enough to stop the Bison? We will find out next Saturday!

kalm
December 29th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Let me put it another way. The game will be over after the third quarter. NDSU at that point will probably have 38-42 points. NDSU probably won’t score again, because they won’t be trying to. Their goal is to grind down clock by running, and not passing.

However, IF NDSU hasn’t put EWU away after 3, I think we will probably score 49, because we will still be trying to score. In that case, EWU would need 50 to win. I think that’s the only scenario in which Eastern wins.

Ah yes...the "score at will" phenomenon. You remind me of a friend who used to claim that he could fart at will. Someone would tell him to let 'er rip and he'd reply "I don't feel like it right now".

I will admit that the Bizon are amazing at taking a lead and running away and hiding with it. No question about that.

But why did they think Poly could come back and score 50 but they only needed 17 for YSU and 24 for SDSU the first game? And why would you pass at all if you're not trying to score?

xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2018, 10:05 AM
What a genius....xlolx

What an A-hole.... xcoffeex[/QUOTE]

Awesome contribution bubba....xthumbsupx

kalm
December 29th, 2018, 10:07 AM
To piggyback on "playoff mode"......every team that NDSU played in the playoffs this year was coming in with "tons" of confidence.

MSU's defense was playing very well and they were going to really challenge the Bison.
Colgate's defense was the best FCS defense ever....well, watching this game in person, I could see which defense was the best....and it wasn't close.
SDSU: records do not matter with these 2 teams lately. This 2nd half beat down by the Bison is not a normal game between these 2 teams as of late.

Now comes EWU. They are better defensively from what I have watched. I like your coach and he is getting both lines better and IMO that is the way to win at this level....probably any level. I'm going to talk about the offenses now because IMO, defense is what wins you games like this.

Kudos to EWU, they are putting significant emphasis on defense now compared to the past. Add that to a very good offense and that is what makes a championship caliber team.

Now the question is: Is that improved EWU defense good enough to stop the Bison? We will find out next Saturday!

After watching ISU last night, SDSU would have finished 8-3 and probably unseeded behind JMU with their only win against a playoff team being MSU without their QB in week 2. The Jack's then beat up an NEC and pitched a slight upset on a clearly overrated KSU. NDSU had a very easy path to the Chipper. Not sure if that changes anything but let's not pretend that the Bizon faced the SLC, Big Sky, and CAA champs in three consecutive weeks.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Ah yes...the "score at will" phenomenon. You remind me of a friend who used to claim that he could fart at will. Someone would tell him to let 'er rip and he'd reply "I don't feel like it right now".

I will admit that the Bizon are amazing at taking a lead and running away and hiding with it. No question about that.

But why did they think Poly could come back and score 50 but they only needed 17 for YSU and 24 for SDSU the first game? And why would you pass at all if you're not trying to score?

xlolx

Every game is different. Cal Poly could have been 100-0.

YSU and SDSU always play the Bison tough. Physical teams.....Cal Poly is far from "physical".

The Bison losses the last few years all have one thing in common. NDSU got beat on the LOS and got "out-NDSUed"...UNI and JUM especially.

Can EWU do the same?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2018, 10:14 AM
After watching ISU last night, SDSU would have finished 8-3 and probably unseeded behind JMU with their only win against a playoff team being MSU without their QB in week 2. The Jack's then beat up an NEC and pitched a slight upset on a clearly overrated KSU. NDSU had a very easy path to the Chipper. Not sure if that changes anything but let's not pretend that the Bizon faced the SLC, Big Sky, and CAA champs in three consecutive weeks.

Until I see EWU in person.....SDSU is the 2nd best team I have watched in the FCS this year.

Easy path? Pretty easy to say from an arm-chair fan.

Oh ya, EWU's gauntlet to the title game.....xlolx

kalm
December 29th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Every game is different. Cal Poly could have been 100-0.

YSU and SDSU always play the Bison tough. Physical teams.....Cal Poly is far from "physical".

The Bison losses the last few years all have one thing in common. NDSU got beat on the LOS and got "out-NDSUed"...UNI and JUM especially.

Can EWU do the same?

That's a great question. I've always looked at it as 'you can't out NDSU, NDSU'. That almost came to fruition in the 2016 game.

Your point is well taken. We are definitely more power oriented up front now but I'm still not sure that we don't pass first to set up the run, grab a lead and then try and pound it. That was the formula against Maine's elite front 7.

kalm
December 29th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Until I see EWU in person.....SDSU is the 2nd best team I have watched in the FCS this year.

Easy path? Pretty easy to say from an arm-chair fan.

Oh ya, EWU's gauntlet to the title game.....xlolx

Do watch any football other than NDSU games? Serious question.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Do watch any football other than NDSU games? Serious question.

xrolleyesx

What is football?

xdontknowx

POD Knows
December 29th, 2018, 10:34 AM
That's a great question. I've always looked at it as 'you can't out NDSU, NDSU'. That almost came to fruition in the 2016 game.

Your point is well taken. We are definitely more power oriented up front now but I'm still not sure that we don't pass first to set up the run, grab a lead and then try and pound it. That was the formula against Maine's elite front 7.Maine doesn't have an elite front 7, sorry, they just don't.

kalm
December 29th, 2018, 10:35 AM

The Bizon are indeed impressive in the playoffs but this too is starting to sound like the NDSU 'burn clock pivot'.

When you've won 7 Big Sky titles this decade, made 4 semi's, and won a title it ain't exactly as if you're flying under anyone's radar. xlolx

kalm
December 29th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Maine doesn't have an elite front 7, sorry, they just don't.

1st in rushing defense
4th in sacks
6th in TFL's (and if the Maine play by play guy was correct 60 of those came from 3 LB's)

And that's playing 2 FBS on top of a power conference schedule.

So yeah...

WeAreThePride
December 29th, 2018, 10:42 AM

xlolx
I really don’t think I’ve been unclear at all. against Cal Poly, we attempted a total of 13 passes. 4 of them by a backup, in the first game of the season, to get him some experience. All 7 TDs were rushes. It’s not our fault they couldn’t their run defense is so bad my Grandmother with a stroke could probably have run for a TD. And if we’re going to cherry pick our worst offensive performances (both of which we won, btw) how about the 6 points you put up against Weber?

POD Knows
December 29th, 2018, 10:48 AM
1st in rushing defense
4th in sacks
6th in TFL's (and if the Maine play by play guy was correct 60 of those came from 3 LB's)

So yeah...The CAA sucked this year, Yale dropped 35 in the Yale victory over them, Rhody 36, Bill and Mary dropped 27 and beat Maine, Elon 27, elite D's don't tank that bad. They had a decent front 7, not elite.

Outsider1
December 29th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Awesome contribution bubba....xthumbsupx[/QUOTE]

What a genius Forest... xdrunkyx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2018, 10:52 AM
1st in rushing defense
4th in sacks

So yeah...

Maine, IMO, ran out of gas making cross country trips 2 weeks in a row.

TheKingpin28
December 29th, 2018, 10:56 AM
1st in rushing defense
4th in sacks

So yeah...

The two FBS teams you referenced went a collective 4-20. I wouldn't include CMU who might be the worst team in FBS outside of UTEP in any stat. It's like when ISUr people and supporters kept propping up their "FBS" win and I kept trying to remind them who they played. So let's just take them out of the equation as they would be middling teams in the FCS.

Now let's look at who they played.
-UNH
-@Yale
-Villanova
-@URI
-@W&M
-Albany
-@Towson
-@Richmond
-Elon

That is not a good schedule by anyone's standards. A collective record of 44-54 with them missing out on 3 of the top 5 teams in the conference. If NDSU played a SOS of 20 instead of 6, I am willing to bet they could have had the #1 rushing defense. When your CAA opponents are almost all the bottom feeders of the league, it's pretty easy to get an inflated number. If you want to throw out unsubstantiated "facts" that's fine, but let's make sure we both understand that getting the #1 rushing defense happens when you miss the top of the conference. Oh and that defense was ranked 26th overall. xcoffeex

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/fcs/ratings

kalm
December 29th, 2018, 10:57 AM
I really don’t think I’ve been unclear at all. against Cal Poly, we attempted a total of 13 passes. 4 of them by a backup, in the first game of the season, to get him some experience. All 7 TDs were rushes. It’s not our fault they couldn’t their run defense is so bad my Grandmother with a stroke could probably have run for a TD. And if we’re going to cherry pick our worst offensive performances (both of which we won, btw) how about the 6 points you put up against Weber?

You claimed EWU would have to score 50 to win. You may be right but going into this game, it's an arrogant and senseless statement so own it. Bizon fans have earned the right to be confident and cocky. It's just not a very good look in my opinion and sometimes it borders on insecurity. Not just here but across social media.

Weber came in with a great game plan and one that NDSU might emulate. They had their ends rush outside and get upfield quick. Their DT's and LB's were gap secure. Barriere had plays to make by pulling it back in, ducking the ends, and getting outside but he just handed off up the middle time and again. It was great learning opportunity for him and for Bodie Reeder to make adjustments to as I guarantee every team since has tried to do the same thing.

Perhaps more importantly, we were down to our 4th and 5th string tackles and had to shift guys around on the line just to finish the game. That left Barriere exposed on the backside and we paid for it dearly. We have slowly gotten healthier since then.

kalm
December 29th, 2018, 11:07 AM
The two FBS teams you referenced went a collective 4-20. I wouldn't include CMU who might be the worst team in FBS outside of UTEP in any stat. It's like when ISUr people and supporters kept propping up their "FBS" win and I kept trying to remind them who they played. So let's just take them out of the equation as they would be middling teams in the FCS.

Now let's look at who they played.
-UNH
-@Yale
-Villanova
-@URI
-@W&M
-Albany
-@Towson
-@Richmond
-Elon

That is not a good schedule by anyone's standards. A collective record of 44-54 with them missing out on 3 of the top 5 teams in the conference. If NDSU played a SOS of 20 instead of 6, I am willing to bet they could have had the #1 rushing defense. When your CAA opponents are almost all the bottom feeders of the league, it's pretty easy to get an inflated number. If you want to throw out unsubstantiated "facts" that's fine, but let's make sure we both understand that getting the #1 rushing defense happens when you miss the top of the conference. Oh and that defense was ranked 26th overall. xcoffeex

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/fcs/ratings

I never said they had the best defense or best schedule and btw, the 108th passing D had an impact on the overall defense ranking. But it's still a solid schedule and the CAA is still a top 3 conference in FCS even when you miss the elites and it's comparable to the MVFC. Not to mention what they were able to do at Weber State. Drop it down as far as you'd like but it's still an elite FCS front 7 by the numbers and SoS.

TheKingpin28
December 29th, 2018, 11:07 AM
You claimed EWU would have to score 50 to win. You may be right but going into this game, it's an arrogant and senseless statement so own it. Bizon fans have earned the right to be confident and cocky. It's just not a very good look in my opinion and sometimes it borders on insecurity. Not just here but across social media.

Weber came in with a great game plan and one that NDSU might emulate. They had their ends rush outside and get upfield quick. Their DT's and LB's were gap secure. Barriere had plays to make by pulling it back in, ducking the ends, and getting outside but he just handed off up the middle time and again. It was great learning opportunity for him and for Bodie Reeder to make adjustments to as I guarantee every team since has tried to do the same thing.

Perhaps more importantly, we were down to our 4th and 5th string tackles and had to shift guys around on the line just to finish the game. That left Barriere exposed on the backside and we paid for it dearly. We have slowly gotten healthier since then.

Expect the DTs to close the gaps, the DE's to keep containment, and Jabril Cox to take Barriere to force EWU to try and beat them through the air. They won't be running the ball with success as that would be unwise to do against the best overall defense in the FCS. The best thing to do for EWU, is do what Troy Anderson did the NDSU, throw the Hail Mary on the first play, which he did and then they went into a tailspin after that, and then continue to chuck the pigskin around as much as possible. However, that leaves Barriere susceptible to being crushed by Cox, Menard, and Co.

TheKingpin28
December 29th, 2018, 11:11 AM
I never said they had the best defense or best schedule and btw, the 108th passing D had an impact on the overall defense ranking. But it's still a solid schedule and the CAA is still a top 3 conference in FCS even when you miss the elites and it's comparable to the MVFC. Not to mention what they were able to do at Weber State. Drop it down as far as you'd like but it's still an elite FCS front 7 by the numbers and SoS.

It's not elite. It never has been. It's not comparable to The Valley as every team will always get (until GFCC joins) a combination of SDSU, UNI, and NDSU every single year. Maine played 1 top 5 team in their conference this year where as every Valley team played 2 of the top 3 in the Valley and in the entire FCS this year. That would be like NDSU missing SDSU and UNI and replacing them with a 2nd helping of USeD and Missery State. It's not a a solid schedule and looks bad.

POD Knows
December 29th, 2018, 11:12 AM
Expect the DTs to close the gaps, the DE's to keep containment, and Jabril Cox to take Barriere to force EWU to try and beat them through the air. They won't be running the ball with success as that would be unwise to do against the best overall defense in the FCS. The best thing to do for EWU, is do what Troy Anderson did the NDSU, throw the Hail Mary on the first play and chuck the pigskin around as much as possible. However, that leaves Barriere susceptible to being crushed by Cox, Menard, and Co.50/50 balls against the Bison are generally 80/20 in favor of the offense, I would stretch the field if I was EWU. They won't be able to run the ball I don't believe but NDSU is yugely vulnerable to teams that can toss it around provided they can protect the QB which is a big problem for most teams the Bison face.

I doesn't matter, I got EWU 24 and NDSU 17, NDSU has a couple of fluke turnovers in their own end of the field and EWU takes advantage of a couple short fields, PI penalties and lucky catches. #BOOKIT

kalm
December 29th, 2018, 11:12 AM
Expect the DTs to close the gaps, the DE's to keep containment, and Jabril Cox to take Barriere to force EWU to try and beat them through the air. They won't be running the ball with success as that would be unwise to do against the best overall defense in the FCS. The best thing to do for EWU, is do what Troy Anderson did the NDSU, throw the Hail Mary on the first play and chuck the pigskin around as much as possible. However, that leaves Barriere susceptible to being crushed by Cox, Menard, and Co.

That's close to how I see it playing out. Barriere needs to make plays with his arm.

TheKingpin28
December 29th, 2018, 11:13 AM
50/50 balls against the Bison are generally 80/20 in favor of the offense, I would stretch the field if I was EWU. They won't be able to run the ball I don't believe but NDSU is yugely vulnerable to teams that can toss it around provided they can protect the QB which is a big problem for most teams the Bison face.

I doesn't matter, I got EWU 24 and NDSU 17, NDSU has a couple of fluke turnovers in their own end of the field and EWU takes advantage of a couple short fields, PI penalties and lucky catches. #BOOKIT

xsmileyclapxxbowx xthumbsupx

kalm
December 29th, 2018, 11:14 AM
It's not elite. It never has been. It's not comparable to The Valley as every team will always get (until GFCC joins) a combination of SDSU, UNI, and NDSU every single year. Maine played 1 top 5 team in their conference this year where as every Valley team played 2 of the top 3 in the Valley and in the entire FCS this year. That would be like NDSU missing SDSU and UNI and replacing them with a 2nd helping of USeD and Missery State. It's not a a solid schedule and looks bad.

Except the Valley just wasn't as impressive this year.

TheKingpin28
December 29th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Except the Valley just wasn't as impressive this year.

Outside of the fact that 2 of the top 3 teams came from there and potentially the top 2...

POD Knows
December 29th, 2018, 11:19 AM
Outside of the fact that 2 of the top 3 teams came from there and potentially the top 2...
MVFC had 67% of their playoff teams in the semi's, maybe if ISUb had been in the other bracket there might have been 75% of the MVFC playoff teams in the semi's, who knows.

cx500d
December 29th, 2018, 11:23 AM

Agree. I think they had a decent defense. I think the CAAnt coach poaching and all that business at the end of the season was probably a significant distraction for them also

TheKingpin28
December 29th, 2018, 11:23 AM
MVFC had 67% of their playoff teams in the semi's, maybe if ISUb had been in the other bracket there might have been 75% of the MVFC playoff teams in the semi's, who knows.

Ryan Boyles was a solid QB I could have easily seen them making it into the round of 16.

kalm
December 29th, 2018, 11:28 AM

Like I said earlier, SDSU should have finished 8-3 and unseeded. As it is, the two easiest paths to the semis were NDSU and SDSU. (Transitive alert) SDSU snuck by a KSU team that was taken to 4 OT's by JSU who was boat raced by Maine. If you want to argue that Colgate was quality then you're also admitting so was the #2 CAA.

SDSU is in reality a top 8 team at best. Playing you tough for one game doesn't make them the 2nd best team in the country.

UNI was lucky to beat Lamar and made it somewhat of a game of it late against Davis.

TheKingpin28
December 29th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Like I said earlier, SDSU should have finished 8-3 and unseeded. As it is, the two easiest paths to the semis were NDSU and SDSU. (Transitive alert) SDSU snuck by a KSU team that was taken to 4 OT's by JSU who was boat raced by Maine. If you want to argue that Colgate was quality then you're also admitting so was the #2 CAA.

SDSU is in reality a top 8 team at best. Playing you tough for one game doesn't make them the 2nd best team in the country.

UNI was lucky to beat Lamar and made it somewhat of a game of it late against Davis.

Never said Colgate was quality. Should have been 49-0. SDSU played NDSU 21-17 in the regular season and then 14-7 at halftime in the semi-finals and then some guy named Easton Stick, turned it on against SDSU in the 2nd half of the playoffs and completely shut them down.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2018, 11:35 AM

You don't know if SDSU loses that game. They could be NC for all you know if they would have beaten NDSU.

Red & Black
December 29th, 2018, 11:52 AM

How many teams have “ran out of gas” by going into Fargo in the playoffs? Or does travel only have an effect on teams that have to go to Cheney? xlolx

BTW, EWU has not played a road playoff game since 2009. NDSU since 2010.

Both teams have benefitted considerably from playing at home. Same was true of Montana during their run.

kalm
December 29th, 2018, 11:56 AM
You don't know if SDSU loses that game. They could be NC for all you know if they would have beaten NDSU.

Of course I don't but after watching ISU last night, I don't think the Jacks would have kept it close. The Cyclones are a big, powerful, and athletic P5 team. I'd make NDSU an underdog as well.

Red & Black
December 29th, 2018, 11:58 AM

And maybe if UC Davis had been on the other side they’d have played in the semi’s. And around and around we go...regionalization sucks.

That said, it appears to me that the committee got the seeding correct for the most part.

POD Knows
December 29th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Of course I don't but after watching ISU last night, I don't think the Jacks would have kept it close. The Cyclones are a big, powerful, and athletic P5 team. I'd make NDSU an underdog as well.NDSU was an underdog in every game they played against an FBS team but yea, this ISU team is a hell of a lot better than the team the Bison smoked in 2014. I would guess we would be a one or two touchdown dog but we would probably still win. xthumbsupx

Red & Black
December 29th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Of course I don't but after watching ISU last night, I don't think the Jacks would have kept it close. The Cyclones are a big, powerful, and athletic P5 team. I'd make NDSU an underdog as well.

Agreed. Based on what I’ve seen of Iowa St this year, SDSU would have met a similar fate they did in Fargo.

UC Davis > SDSU IMO.

POD Knows
December 29th, 2018, 12:02 PM
And maybe if UC Davis had been on the other side they’d have played in the semi’s. And around and around we go...regionalization sucks.

That said, it appears to me that the committee got the seeding correct for the most part.Yea, I think they did too and I think the two best teams in the country are playing for the title. I doubt that ISUb would have made the semi's, I was just rolling with the flow on here.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2018, 12:08 PM
How many teams have “ran out of gas” by going into Fargo in the playoffs? Or does travel only have an effect on teams that have to go to Cheney? xlolx

BTW, EWU has not played a road playoff game since 2009. NDSU since 2010.

Both teams have benefitted considerably from playing at home. Same was true of Montana during their run.

You don't think 2 back to back cross country trips had any effect on Maine?

Plus, how many teams has NDSU played in the playoffs during this run went cross country the game before they played NDSU?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Agreed. Based on what I’ve seen of Iowa St this year, SDSU would have met a similar fate they did in Fargo.

UC Davis > SDSU IMO.

Disagree.

NDSU will see UC Davis next year. Considering Davis plays very little defense, I'm assuming the game will be a Cal Poly type blowout.

cx500d
December 29th, 2018, 12:47 PM

SDSU can’t win a natty- they are bred to choke in big games...always have, always will.

Hammerhead
December 29th, 2018, 01:14 PM

Sagarin has NDSU rated 6.9 points higher than Iowa State on a neutral field. Just for comparing schedules this year, NDSU is 0.28 points behind Washington State. It would have been fun to see SDSU play ISU earlier this year.
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2018/team/

cx500d
December 29th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Probably ewu will outnumber ndsu fans because of the light dusting of snow hindering Travel

http://fmobserver.com/fargos-19th-avenue-north-now-open-to-one-lane-of-traffic/?

Hammerhead
December 29th, 2018, 01:32 PM
LOL, it's not quite that bad although it took two hours to clear our driveway after already having blown it clean the night before in an attempt to keep the drifts shorter than our snowthrower.

For those of you outside of Fargo, 19th Ave N. is prone to drifting in and can't be raised because it is too close to the south end of the airport runway. A few people died there decades ago when they were running the car engine to say warm and got carbon monoxide poisoning.

Probably ewu will outnumber ndsu fans because of the light dusting of snow hindering Travel

http://fmobserver.com/fargos-19th-avenue-north-now-open-to-one-lane-of-traffic/? (http://fmobserver.com/fargos-19th-avenue-north-now-open-to-one-lane-of-traffic/?)

Gil Dobie
December 29th, 2018, 09:04 PM

Of note, Iowa St had a different QB to start the season, and lost 3 of it's first 4, so who knows what would have happened.

Red & Black
December 29th, 2018, 11:14 PM
You don't think 2 back to back cross country trips had any effect on Maine?

Plus, how many teams has NDSU played in the playoffs during this run went cross country the game before they played NDSU?

I’m sure it did, but unless you’re suggesting that traveling across the country accounts for their being blown out by 30+ points, it really doesn’t matter. We heard the same stuff during our 2010 run when Villanova had to make the trip to WA. We didn’t really earn that win because Nova was “tired.” My response is that home field advantage matters, and it’s not just EWU that benefits from it...all seeded teams do, and with the current playoff format it’s virtually inevitable that there’s going to be some teams that do a lot of traveling.

I don’t really know how many of NDSU’s semifinal opponents have had to travel cross country in consecutive weeks...you’d know better than I. But I’d assume there have been a few during that excellent run. Certainly many of their early round opponents have.

BisonBacker
December 30th, 2018, 07:37 AM
LOL, it's not quite that bad although it took two hours to clear our driveway after already having blown it clean the night before in an attempt to keep the drifts shorter than our snowthrower.

For those of you outside of Fargo, 19th Ave N. is prone to drifting in and can't be raised because it is too close to the south end of the airport runway. A few people died there decades ago when they were running the car engine to say warm and got carbon monoxide poisoning.

https://www.westfargopioneer.com/news/weather/4386905-1984-blizzard-4-trapped-motorists-died-fargo-road-city-officials-havent

gumby013
December 30th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Any failed NCAA drug tests this year?

dewey
December 31st, 2018, 08:19 AM
Here is a few interesting notes from the upcoming game from the Spokesman Review.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/30/first-look-no-3-eastern-washington-vs-no-1-north-d/%3famp-content=amp

Dewey

Outsider1
December 31st, 2018, 08:39 AM
Here is a few interesting notes from the upcoming game from the Spokesman Review.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/30/first-look-no-3-eastern-washington-vs-no-1-north-d/%3famp-content=amp

Dewey

Nice little piece, would love to see some more info. I still don't think it will be a route, but I do think that NDSU will hold the prolific offense of EWU in check. Will EWU defense keep NDSU offense in check? That I am not so sure.

Redbird 4th & short
December 31st, 2018, 08:46 AM
I’m sure it did, but unless you’re suggesting that traveling across the country accounts for their being blown out by 30+ points, it really doesn’t matter. We heard the same stuff during our 2010 run when Villanova had to make the trip to WA. We didn’t really earn that win because Nova was “tired.” My response is that home field advantage matters, and it’s not just EWU that benefits from it...all seeded teams do, and with the current playoff format it’s virtually inevitable that there’s going to be some teams that do a lot of traveling.

I don’t really know how many of NDSU’s semifinal opponents have had to travel cross country in consecutive weeks...you’d know better than I. But I’d assume there have been a few during that excellent run. Certainly many of their early round opponents have.

geographical fact check ... longitude-wise, Fargo is about dead center contiguous US ... latitide-wise .. eh, not so much.

EdubAlum
December 31st, 2018, 08:52 AM
This game is now a football playoff double header for many. Seahawks @ Cowboys at 7:15 that same day. I suspect you will not see a lot of EWU fans out after the game for this very reason.

cx500d
December 31st, 2018, 08:54 AM
This game is now a football playoff double header for many. Seahawks @ Cowboys at 7:15 that same day. I suspect you will not see a lot of EWU fans out after the game for this very reason.
I thought it would be due to the embarrassment and sulking

BisonBacker
December 31st, 2018, 09:08 AM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29802&stc=1

Outsider1
December 31st, 2018, 09:10 AM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29802&stc=1

He looks like he is about to make love to that trophy.

BisonBacker
December 31st, 2018, 09:11 AM

Well NDSU does love accumulating these Championship Trophy's xnodx

AmsterBison
December 31st, 2018, 10:04 AM
Is Mitch Fettig going to play? He was all over the field against NDSU last year.

Really threw me off because with a name like Fettig (more common in North Dakota than any other state), I kept thinking he should be wearing a Bison uniform.

EdubAlum
December 31st, 2018, 10:28 AM
I thought it would be due to the embarrassment and sulking
🙄

Green1
December 31st, 2018, 11:32 AM

Disagreee. Looks like the trophy is swooning in the presence of greatness.

Outsider1
December 31st, 2018, 12:04 PM
Disagreee. Looks like the trophy is swooning in the presence of greatness.A mutual love affair I guess.

Sent from my BLU_S1 using Tapatalk

dewey
December 31st, 2018, 12:05 PM
Is Mitch Fettig going to play? He was all over the field against NDSU last year.

Really threw me off because with a name like Fettig (more common in North Dakota than any other state), I kept thinking he should be wearing a Bison uniform.

I believe I heard the Bison 1660 am The Insiders show say that he was out.

Here is confirmation of Mitch Fettig being out for the season.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/01/eastern-washington-notebook-eagles-defense-getting/%3famp-content=amp

Dewey

TheKingpin28
December 31st, 2018, 12:18 PM
So I hate to admit, but I went to bisonville, and it seemed like the NT is in the 2-deep which implies he is playing. EWU, what's up with that? Any more of a confirmed source.

dewey
December 31st, 2018, 12:24 PM
So I hate to admit, but I went to bisonville, and it seemed like the NT is in the 2-deep which implies he is playing. EWU, what's up with that? Any more of a confirmed source.

I heard on The Insiders show that the decision on Tiuli (sp?) is outside of the athletic department.

I would be surprised if he played. Felony assault with witnesses (IIRC) is very serious.

Dewey

POD Knows
December 31st, 2018, 12:40 PM
I heard on The Insiders show that the decision on Tiuli (sp?) is outside of the athletic department.

I would be surprised if he played. Felony assault with witnesses (IIRC) is very serious.

DeweyHe will play, win at all costs baby, I think Lombardi said that.

Bisonator
December 31st, 2018, 01:30 PM
What's the deal with Gubrud? Didn't he break a bone in his foot or something? That was back in September, why was his career ruled over? Why wouldn't he be able to play? It's been how many weeks since the injury?

TheKingpin28
December 31st, 2018, 02:24 PM

DeweyFrom what I heard, it is supposed to come from outside I'm just going off what I read.