PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Potential Lehigh HC?

Pages : 1 [2]

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 7th, 2019, 06:40 PM
There’s more to the story about what happened in New Haven that day.

I’m not sure you understand just how poor the institutional support for the football program was for about a decade. Getting kids through admissions proved to be incredibly challenging. Not to mention, the facilities were among the worst in the PL up until the Luth was built.

But, yes, that definitely does not excuse some clock management issues and in game decisions he made.

What was so bad against Dartmouth?

I agree that Gilmore wasn't dealt the best hand at Holy Cross but truly great coaches over come that. Sgarlata had an even worse hand than Gilmore yet was able to beat the Crusaders more than once. Tavani inherited a much worse situation at Lafayette yet won 3 straight PL Titles. He did it with players that were recruited before Fisher Field was renovated and on the heels of the D3 talks. As bad a HC's administration is/was it's not Lafayette's. Holy Cross hoops was thriving under Ralph Willard when Gilmore took over football.

You know, and all HC fans know, HC upgraded when they dumped Gilmore and hired Chesney.

ngineer
January 7th, 2019, 06:43 PM
If so, then I am sure Joe is comfortable with all the background info as to what 'went down' in Woostah a couple years ago. He certainly knows Tom from his tenure here 18 years ago, and I am sure, in addition to the interview, did some talking with Kevin and Dave down Tobacco Road way. If he's the pick, he's got my support, and look forward to some aggressive defense. Interesting that we hired Kashurba last year and I wonder what, if any, input may have come from there??

crusader11
January 7th, 2019, 06:43 PM
You know, and all HC fans know, HC upgraded when they dumped Gilmore and hired Chesney.

Yes, very happy with Bob Chesney.

And, yes, it's kind of a peculiar hire taking a coach that was fired mid-season two years ago from a school in your conference.

But, I think Gilmore will do well at Lehigh. Not many people know Ivy League and Patriot League football better than him.

crusader11
January 7th, 2019, 06:45 PM
Interesting that we hired Kashurba last year and I wonder what, if any, input may have come from there??

I'm curious how many holdovers there will be from the Lehigh staff. Kashurba and Bandy both coached under Gilmore.

RichH2
January 7th, 2019, 06:47 PM
Was he trying to get fired in 2017? He went nutty against Dartmouth and Lafayette before his team quit on him at the Yale Bowl which resulted in Pine firing him. His coaching at the end was erratic and irrational.

He had 2009 and a bunch of decent years. He'd often choke in meaningful PL games which is why got nothing out of those 7 win seasons. By the end he was getting outcoached and losing to hapless Georgetown teams.
I have no doubt Joe knows Tom's history. He also did his due diligence. Do you think if Andy,Clawson or Higgins panned him he would be getting this job. I have my reservations about Gilmore as I'm sure Joe did also. He was satisfied that Tom was the best fit possible. So I will be for now. A repeat of his Cross career will be calamitous. As posters on Cross stated today, Tom will not face the same problems that the Administration at Cross inflicted on the football program. I do hope that was the major cause of the mediocrity of their team.

ngineer
January 7th, 2019, 06:48 PM
I agree that Gilmore wasn't dealt the best hand at Holy Cross but truly great coaches over come that. Sgarlata had an even worse hand than Gilmore yet was able to beat the Crusaders more than once. Tavani inherited a much worse situation at Lafayette yet won 3 straight PL Titles. He did it with players that were recruited before Fisher Field was renovated and on the heels of the D3 talks. As bad a HC's administration is/was it's not Lafayette's. Holy Cross hoops was thriving under Ralph Willard when Gilmore took over football.

Not necessarily. See Bohl at Wyoming after extraordinary run at NDSU. There can be a lot of internal and institutional factors that inhibit certain progress. That being said, everyone also makes mistakes and, if intelligent, they learn from the mistakes. Gilmore is now in his early 50's, so I think he will see this as a potential "last gig" where he can finish a career on long high note. Hopefully, so.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 7th, 2019, 06:58 PM
Not necessarily. See Bohl at Wyoming after extraordinary run at NDSU. There can be a lot of internal and institutional factors that inhibit certain progress. That being said, everyone also makes mistakes and, if intelligent, they learn from the mistakes. Gilmore is now in his early 50's, so I think he will see this as a potential "last gig" where he can finish a career on long high note. Hopefully, so.

Bohl has done fine at Wyoming. After two straight 8 win seasons and losing the great QB in school history, Josh Allen, his managed a .500 season.

Like I said, my concerns go well beyond administration. Terrible in close games, Andy Reid clock management, overall average to below average defenses, unable to control his emotions on the sideline, history of wearing out assistants etc.

I don't get the defensive genius aspect either. Nothing supports that. His Holy Cross teams in general were not good defensively. That was always the perplexing part. I also don't think he was some legendary DC at Lehigh. Based on all metrics available the coordinators before and after him did just as well.

I'm not hating ngineer but we'll see. This just seems like a "comfort" hiring. Trying to keep it in the family and not willing to take any type of chance. I said over and over that I don't think he's a good coach. I'll stick with that stance until proven otherwise.

Neighbor2
January 7th, 2019, 07:01 PM
I have come to accept Lehigh’s expectations of its football effort. I had hoped for more of a push up the FCS level of accomplishment in terms of player and coaching talent, fan experience, and media attention. There’s not enough evidence to indicate progress in those areas.

Seems to me, from a competitive standpoint, status quo is just fine going forward. The Gilmore hire confirms this. This is NOT disappointment in Gilmore the coach, the man. Tom Gilmore is more than capable to create for Lehigh what Lehigh (the school) wants. That is . . . .

Beat Lafayette.
Win 7 games per year average.
Win more Patriot League Championships than any other school.

Tom Gilmore will “fill this bill” as good as anyone else. I wish Coach Gilmore and the players all the best.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 7th, 2019, 07:13 PM
Since I know this matters to Lehigh fans....

Gilmore vs Lafayette 8-6
Gilmore vs Colgate 4-9 (1 win in Hamilton)

Franks Tanks
January 7th, 2019, 07:45 PM
This is a terrible decision by Joe. A national search that included all the guys Joe had in his cell phone. Does he know he is able to hire coaches that didn’t work for Lehigh in 1998? A 7 week coaching search ends with Tom Gilmore?

Joe must be taking classes at the Bruce Mcutcheon school of athletic management.

DFW HOYA
January 7th, 2019, 07:58 PM
Beat Lafayette.
Win 7 games per year average.
Win more Patriot League Championships than any other school.

This is an important period for Lehigh football and expectations like that are troubling on many levels.

Colgate is building a foundation under Dan Hunt for multiple PL titles over the next 4-7 years. Holy Cross is going to get real good, real quick. Even Georgetown is no longer a guaranteed win as far as Lehigh is concerned. It's no time to play strictly for what the past offered.

RichH2
January 7th, 2019, 08:03 PM
This is an important period for Lehigh football and expectations like that are troubling on many levels.

Colgate is building a foundation under Dan Hunt for multiple PL titles over the next 4-7 years. Holy Cross is going to get real good, real quick. Even Georgetown is no longer a guaranteed win as far as Lehigh is concerned. It's no time to play strictly for what the past offered.
Agreed but I seriously doubt Joe has any intention of going backwards.

Lehigh'98
January 7th, 2019, 08:05 PM
This is an extremely disappointing and short sighted hire imo. Obviously I will support my school, but this hire has tempered my expectations to put it mildly. Colgate is going to eat our lunch. I think coach gilmore is an outstanding DC, but it's pretty obvious we settled for a budget coach here and the administration is happy with the occasional PL title. There were many, many interesting, young hungry candidates out there looking to make a name for themselves and we chose a middling ex HC coach. I've lost alot of enthusiam that I've had my whole life for the program. I will be happy to admit if I'm wrong, but just not seeing it now with the direction Colgate and HC are going.

LehighU11
January 7th, 2019, 08:12 PM
Really? Tom Gilmore is the best LU could do? This is troubling on many levels, for both Lehigh and the future of the PL as a whole.

I hope Gilmore succeeds and that HC and even LC turn around their programs. Otherwise, we may be discussing a postseason bowl game with the Liberty League champion rather than the Ivy champ.

Sader87
January 7th, 2019, 08:16 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 7th, 2019, 08:24 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

And there it is! 87 has officially chimed in! xbeerchugx

What type of (sober) odds would you have given the board in mid-October 2017 that Gilmore would be Lehigh's head coach less than 18 months later?

I suppose the best news is that Al Golden could still end up at Temple!!

Doc QB
January 7th, 2019, 10:04 PM

Well Rich, maybe not backwards, but certainly not forward either. We now have LU faithful making excuses as to why he was average at Holy Cross and how he will be better at Lehigh. IS THAT REALLY THE DAMN DISCUSSION WE WANT TO HAVE WHEN TALKING ABOUT OUR NEW LEADER? Why he was average? C’mon guys, seriously? Excuses are like bungholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

This was an opportunity to take a new direction, build new excitement, show recruits we are the place to be with big aspirations and want to contend with Colgate and keep curbstomping the Pards. To chase the CAA, to show Penn and Princeton we won’t take a backseat to the Ivy League. What recruit will be excited by this hire? Great, keep Kashurba and make us Holy Cross South, and keep an offensive staff that only looked good when they had any combination of FOUR of LU’s all time greats at once (shaf/Mayes, Brags, Troy, Gatlin). Holy/wholey uninspiring.

Joe did it by hiring Kevin way back, there were doubters then too. But Tom has already been a head coach, is a career sub .500 coach, gets fired mid season from HC, spends a year and a half at Wake, and suddenly he is the best fit? I just dont see this as analogous to the Higgins hire at all.

DFW HOYA
January 7th, 2019, 10:17 PM

Neither did Lafayette. It can happen.

PAllen
January 7th, 2019, 10:39 PM
This is an extremely disappointing and short sighted hire imo. Obviously I will support my school, but this hire has tempered my expectations to put it mildly. Colgate is going to eat our lunch. I think coach gilmore is an outstanding DC, but it's pretty obvious we settled for a budget coach here and the administration is happy with the occasional PL title. There were many, many interesting, young hungry candidates out there looking to make a name for themselves and we chose a middling ex HC coach. I've lost alot of enthusiam that I've had my whole life for the program. I will be happy to admit if I'm wrong, but just not seeing it now with the direction Colgate and HC are going.

+1. I'll just add, that I do hate the hire if it truly is Gilmore. National search my butt.

RichH2
January 7th, 2019, 11:03 PM
Well consensus fairly obvious. A bad hire by Joe. Little hope for program to improve or ever again have any national relevance under Gilmore .
Clear that Joe will have a virtually impossible job in selling this to the alumni. It is also abundantly clear that TG cannot have a mediocre 1st year. A solid winning record a must. Any thing else a ppl will be coming for scalps.

ngineer
January 7th, 2019, 11:17 PM
I am sure Joe will give us his explanation tomorrow at the press conference...assuming such. Will questions be asked or simply an announcement? Regardless, there will certainly be an issue with the lack of 'excitement' this hiring will bring. My sense is that it might work out, but it also says to me that we are constrained as to the direction the University wants the program to go. We shall be happy to win 7 or more games/year, win a few championships each decade and make the playoffs. But we are not of a mind to take risks to see just how far we can go. If going with a defensive mind was a leading criterion, John Loose, formerly of Lafayette and now at Army would have been an exciting flier. My sense is that we did not have $$ to go after any of the 'up and comers" or established OC/DC's at mid-FBS level schools. This is a 'comfortable' decision after we got rejected by some earlier suitors. I really hope this will work, but a lot of us will be watching with a "show me" attitude.

I recall when Andy Coen was first hired, I distinctly remember him talking about rising to national prominence to challenge for a national championship. It took several years, but with some personnel change we did reach a point of being in the national conversation and winning almost 40 games in four years, knocking of some 'name' schools in the playoffs and making a credible showing against the mighty Bison without hour star player. We lost Coach K and Chick, and we never returned to that level. Seemed like the offense returned a few years later after the Bronx debacle, but that was short-lived due to no defense. So here we sit. I don't see us trying to reach beyond our grasp. We'll play it safe for now.

Southsider
January 8th, 2019, 06:05 AM
And, where does it go after a year or so when Sterett packs it in? At least he is a FB guy. Could get very ugly.....

Doc QB
January 8th, 2019, 06:26 AM
I am sure Joe will give us his explanation tomorrow at the press conference...assuming such. Will questions be asked or simply an announcement? Regardless, there will certainly be an issue with the lack of 'excitement' this hiring will bring. My sense is that it might work out, but it also says to me that we are constrained as to the direction the University wants the program to go. We shall be happy to win 7 or more games/year, win a few championships each decade and make the playoffs. But we are not of a mind to take risks to see just how far we can go. If going with a defensive mind was a leading criterion, John Loose, formerly of Lafayette and now at Army would have been an exciting flier. My sense is that we did not have $$ to go after any of the 'up and comers" or established OC/DC's at mid-FBS level schools. This is a 'comfortable' decision after we got rejected by some earlier suitors. I really hope this will work, but a lot of us will be watching with a "show me" attitude.

I recall when Andy Coen was first hired, I distinctly remember him talking about rising to national prominence to challenge for a national championship. It took several years, but with some personnel change we did reach a point of being in the national conversation and winning almost 40 games in four years, knocking of some 'name' schools in the playoffs and making a credible showing against the mighty Bison without hour star player. We lost Coach K and Chick, and we never returned to that level. Seemed like the offense returned a few years later after the Bronx debacle, but that was short-lived due to no defense. So here we sit. I don't see us trying to reach beyond our grasp. We'll play it safe for now.

Well said.

Neighbor2
January 8th, 2019, 07:36 AM
So. . . . did Sterrett

Roll the dice with a TRICK PLAY
TAKE A KNEE
SLIDE, or
PUNT ?

I think he punted. He knows Patriot League football is stuck on mediocre without radical changes in philosophy and spending. He’s easing his way to a fast approaching retirement. Gilmore will be a satisfactory placeholder until then.

PAllen
January 8th, 2019, 08:03 AM
So. . . . did Sterrett

Roll the dice with a TRICK PLAY
TAKE A KNEE
SLIDE, or
PUNT ?

I think he punted. He knows Patriot League football is stuck on mediocre without radical changes in philosophy and spending. He’s easing his way to a fast approaching retirement. Gilmore will be a satisfactory placeholder until then.

Honestly, it sounds more like he took a knee on second down after getting sacked on first down.

RichH2
January 8th, 2019, 09:12 AM
Announcement live streamed at 2pm on PL TV.

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2019, 09:33 AM
He knows Patriot League football is stuck on mediocre without radical changes in philosophy and spending.

What are the radical changes in spending? Six PL teams are in the top 17 in spending in the subdivision. (The seventh team is 110th.)

Franks Tanks
January 8th, 2019, 09:55 AM
What are the radical changes in spending? Six PL teams are in the top 17 in spending in the subdivision. (The seventh team is 110th.)

We’ve discussed this a bunch on the Lafayette board. Our numbers are of course skewed based on the cost of tuition, but PL schools have solid financial comitments. What is harder to identify is our actual assistant salary pools and recruiting budgets. What if we offered 10k more to position coaches and 20k more to coordinators? May allow us to recruit and retain better coaches. Is this more beneficial that offering an extra scholarship or two? I understand scholarships are not paid by the school so it’s a bit of apples vs. oranges but the overall point remains.

As always the league is always about admissions. Are the schools maximizing their admission slots for low band kids?

RichH2
January 8th, 2019, 09:55 AM
A bit more perspective. Reading the comments by LU football alums who were there during Tom's time with Lehigh. Uniformly positive.

RichH2
January 8th, 2019, 10:02 AM
We’ve discussed this a bunch on the Lafayette board. Our numbers are of course skewed based on the cost of tuition, but PL schools have solid financial comitments. What is harder to identify is our actual assistant salary pools and recruiting budgets. What if we offered 10k more to position coaches and 20k more to coordinators? May allow us to recruit and retain better coaches. Is this more beneficial that offering an extra scholarship or two? I understand scholarships are not paid by the school so it’s a bit of apples vs. oranges but the overall point remains.

As always the league is always about admissions. Are the schools maximizing their admission slots for low band kids?

Good point on banding FT. PL banding not quite as onerous as Ivies albeit not as flexible. Low bands are more an issue with each separate Admissions Dept. Relevant that for most of TG's time at Cross he had a hostile Admissions Dept. LU does not have a hostile Admissions. Caveat for PL tho is our rising admission standards for incoming freshman. That also raises the bar for low band recruits.

van
January 8th, 2019, 10:03 AM
a better comparison is to subtract 60 full equivalencies from those numbers and compare that to minus 60 full equivalencies elsewhere

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2019, 10:06 AM

Ok, this question.

These six programs are paying for 60 full ride athletic scholarships (Bucknell may be 54 or 55, but follow the argument): The PL does not mandate that aid be athletic. If Lafayette offered just 50 scholarships and floated the rest through financial aid (which would still count for I-A games), wouldn't that open up money for coaches and program development?

RichH2
January 8th, 2019, 10:34 AM
Ok, this question.

These six programs are paying for 60 full ride athletic scholarships (Bucknell may be 54 or 55, but follow the argument): The PL does not mandate that aid be athletic. If Lafayette offered just 50 scholarships and floated the rest through financial aid (which would still count for I-A games), wouldn't that open up money for coaches and program development?

All depends I think on how a school allocates various expenses. Which are in AD, which are in College budget. How is income treated. Does sports revenue go into AD or the College?
There is no uniformity of accounting among PL schools .
For example, Lehigh AD budget does not include need aid as an expense. Other schools may do so.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Ok, this question.

The problem is the NCAA definition of "athlete". As soon as a head coach, assistant coach, official athletics representative or other official "contacts" the kid, through email, text message, etc., they become a "recruited" athlete and thus are ineligible for regular financial aid. To do what you're saying, the athletic department would have to "Bird Box" themselves and communicate, "now, we're not SAYING that you can apply to our school and get a chance to become an athlete, but..." and hope a bunch of kids apply who can play football and qualify for regular financial aid through the regular process. Remember, too, any such kids wouldn't be able to just show up in August and practice with the team - they'd have to come to campus and matriculate, and the school would have to have an open tryout to have them play that year. They'd become football players at best in the middle of the season.

Schools like NDSU can do this because their tuition is dirt cheap. Schools like Harvard can do this because they are rich enough to scholarship the entire student body (and thus the athletic department can recruit people who are essentially walk-ons). The PL exists in this world where tuition is enormous, so this walk-on strategy becomes less and less viable. But there are schools that are able to manage, like Villanova. IMO, looking at how they do things is the key out of the PL predicament. Worthy of mention: Nova redshirts.

lehighfball
January 8th, 2019, 10:59 AM
It's official and now the rest of the league can let out a collective sigh of relief. A belated Christmas present courtesy of Joe Sterrett!

Lehigh'98
January 8th, 2019, 11:19 AM
The beginning of the end of Lehigh football as we knew it. It's obvious the administrative support necessary to have a good program is not there anymore.

Neighbor2
January 8th, 2019, 12:14 PM
I really don't see an end to Lehigh football, but I do see the same level of competitive success, fan interest, and administrative support as we've been having for the past 5-6 years. I believe Tom Gilmore will give a strong effort and remain as coach for several years. I am convinced more support is possible, but the school and league need to lead the charge. This, I fear, is not seen as a compelling challenge worthy to seriously address.

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2019, 12:33 PM
The problem is the NCAA definition of "athlete". As soon as a head coach, assistant coach, official athletics representative or other official "contacts" the kid, through email, text message, etc., they become a "recruited" athlete and thus are ineligible for regular financial aid.

Georgetown recruits kids every year. None are ineligible for regular financial aid.

Sader87
January 8th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Presser on now:

https://watchstadium.com/network/patriot-league-network/156771/

RichH2
January 8th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Presser pretty good.
He stated that his goal is PL titles and playoff Ws not just showing up in the playoffs.He seems to be gauging his success by his 1st two years at LU, undefeated seasons an playoff Ws. His goal is winning there as we did vs W.Illinois.

LUHawker
January 8th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Presser pretty good.
He stated that his goal is PL titles and playoff Ws not just showing up in the playoffs.

Agreed. I like the talk....let's see about the walk.

crusader11
January 8th, 2019, 01:38 PM
Leave it to the engineers at Lehigh to have the press conference crap out on us.

LUHawker
January 8th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Leave it to the engineers at Lehigh to have the press conference crap out on us.

Didn't have any issues on my end, so probably not a problem with the feed.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 8th, 2019, 01:45 PM
Presser pretty good.
He stated that his goal is PL titles and playoff Ws not just showing up in the playoffs.He seems to be gauging his success by his 1st two years at LU, undefeated seasons an playoff Ws. His goal is winning there as we did vs W.Illinois.

If nothing else, the typical winning seasons and compete for PL titles was not the overall theme or context it seemed. In the end both Coen and Lembo came in with the same exact expectations. Both of them were able to produce Top 5 teams. Lehigh football is like Temple basketball. A national title is a bit of a reach but being relevant aka Top 25/making the tournament/playoffs, attracting quality-student athletes and having a dream of a Final 4 type run when the stars align is practical.

I don't think Gilmore will fail but I don't know he has the ability to reach Lehigh's ceiling that was achieved by the previous 3 coaches. I wouldn't trade a healthy Andy for him. The thing is, Gilmore can have a bad season here and there but you got to get it rolling from time to time. There's no doubt in my mind that Coen would have gotten more out of '16, '17 and '18 had his health not failed him. I think Lehigh was poised for another '10 to '13 stretch.

I don't think the cupboard is bare at all. I think a good coach will come in and turn this around quick. Lehigh was 3-8 in 2018 because of a terribly unfortunate situation.

RichH2
January 8th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Agreed. I like the talk....let's see about the walk.
yup indeed!

RichH2
January 8th, 2019, 01:54 PM
If nothing else, the typical winning seasons and compete for PL titles was not the overall theme or context it seemed. In the end both Coen and Lembo came in with the same exact expectations. Both of them were able to produce Top 5 teams. Lehigh football is like Temple basketball. A national title is a bit of a reach but being relevant aka Top 25/making the tournament/playoffs, attracting quality-student athletes and having a dream of a Final 4 type run when the stars align is practical.

I don't think Gilmore will fail but I don't know he has the ability to reach Lehigh's ceiling that was achieved by the previous 3 coaches. I wouldn't trade a healthy Andy for him. The thing is, Gilmore can have a bad season here and there but you got to get it rolling from time to time. There's no doubt in my mind that Coen would have gotten more out of '16, '17 and '18 had his health not failed him. I think Lehigh was poised for another '10 to '13 stretch.

I don't think the cupboard is bare at all. I think a good coach will come in and turn this around quick. Lehigh was 3-8 in 2018 because of a terribly unfortunate situation.

Agree. I do think he can do well here. Still a number of boxes to check off.
We have a short roster but some excellent talent pretty much everywhere. Just no depth in too many positions.

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2019, 02:24 PM

Temple may not be the best example. The Owls haven't been in the Top 25 since 2012 and have one NCAA bid in the last six seasons.

This is an issue bigger than Tom Gilmore. The PL isn't in a position when it can call its shots - the league was 8-28 in non-conference play and has been lapped by the Ivy League. The PL will not be considered as a league capable of multiple Top 25 consdieration for a number of years going forward.

As to Gilmore, he had one season of more than six wins in his final eight seasons and was fired mid-season, an absolute rarity in PL circles. The idea that he is going to wake up the echoes at Lehigh is speculative at best. This isn't exactly Steve Spurrier coming to South Carolina, this is closer to Fred Goldsmith leaving Rice for Duke and doing about the same there as he did in Houston.

Gater
January 8th, 2019, 02:38 PM
Read a bunch about Gilmore over the past few days. Seems like he was a great college football player and is very well-respected and liked as a coach and as a person. As a head coach, he went 21-43 over his final six seasons. (I'm not sure what limitations were in place that kept him from winning at Holy Cross, but they must have been pretty severe.) Don't know of many examples of head coaches having losing records over 14 years and then suddenly turning that around when presented with a very similar opportunity. Wish him and Lehigh the best. Would be a great story if he could take Lehigh to the next level.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 8th, 2019, 02:48 PM
Temple may not be the best example. The Owls haven't been in the Top 25 since 2012 and have one NCAA bid in the last six seasons.

This is an issue bigger than Tom Gilmore. The PL isn't in a position when it can call its shots - the league was 8-28 in non-conference play and has been lapped by the Ivy League. The PL will not be considered as a league capable of multiple Top 25 consdieration for a number of years going forward.

As to Gilmore, he had one season of more than six wins in his final eight seasons and was fired mid-season, an absolute rarity in PL circles. The idea that he is going to wake up the echoes at Lehigh is speculative at best. This isn't exactly Steve Spurrier coming to South Carolina, this is closer to Fred Goldsmith leaving Rice for Duke and doing about the same there as he did in Houston.

Quick blurb because I don't want this to be a Temple thing. But you're a Georgetown guy so it's hoops related...
Temple and Lehigh have been very similar in recent years. A few winning seasons/league titles, a couple real ugly records, in the national conversation a few years but couldn't quite legitimize it. Dunphy is being politely pushed into retirement. Being on the bubble most years and not being ranked since 2012 is the reason McKie was brought in to be the heir apparent. We're not far off. We're pretty good again this year. Host #15 and undefeated Houston tomorrow night...

One could argue there's even a Hue Jackson element to this hire. DC goes to division rival to become head coach, fails, gets fired midseason then returns to the original division rival to potentially become their head coach. That's a bit of an extreme given how bad Jackson was in Cleveland but the dots connects in a similar way...

Stephen A. Smith made a good point today regarding the hiring coaching hiring process and nepotism. Thankfully, it had nothing to do with the color of one's skin. Some people simply can't get out of their comfort zone when it comes to hiring a coach to lead their program/franchise. Gilmore definitely stressed the comfort of the hiring. He mentioned the various staff, media members, walking certain halls and being in different buildings/offices.

Go...gate
January 8th, 2019, 04:45 PM

And finished second in the conference....

Go...gate
January 8th, 2019, 04:46 PM
I think Gilmore is a good hire, but Lehigh could have done better.

van
January 8th, 2019, 04:50 PM
I think Gilmore is a good hire, but Lehigh could have done better.

really, who did we pass on that would have been better, please share your insight

RichH2
January 8th, 2019, 05:56 PM
really, who did we pass on that would have been better, please share your insight

I think he meant sexier to the casual fan van. xdrunkyx

van
January 8th, 2019, 07:21 PM
I think he meant sexier to the casual fan van. xdrunkyx

Oh like Sofía Vergara I guess, does she coach too

ngineer
January 8th, 2019, 07:47 PM
Quick blurb because I don't want this to be a Temple thing. But you're a Georgetown guy so it's hoops related...
Temple and Lehigh have been very similar in recent years. A few winning seasons/league titles, a couple real ugly records, in the national conversation a few years but couldn't quite legitimize it. Dunphy is being politely pushed into retirement. Being on the bubble most years and not being ranked since 2012 is the reason McKie was brought in to be the heir apparent. We're not far off. We're pretty good again this year. Host #15 and undefeated Houston tomorrow night...

One could argue there's even a Hue Jackson element to this hire. DC goes to division rival to become head coach, fails, gets fired midseason then returns to the original division rival to potentially become their head coach. That's a bit of an extreme given how bad Jackson was in Cleveland but the dots connects in a similar way...

Stephen A. Smith made a good point today regarding the hiring coaching hiring process and nepotism. Thankfully, it had nothing to do with the color of one's skin. Some people simply can't get out of their comfort zone when it comes to hiring a coach to lead their program/franchise. Gilmore definitely stressed the comfort of the hiring. He mentioned the various staff, media members, walking certain halls and being in different buildings/offices.

I think a significant factor was because of familiarity and comfort level that going with Gilmore would allow a faster transition than bring someone in without any clue as to what Lehigh is about, the culture, etc. He's not a 'stranger in a strange land'. One never knows how these things will work out. That's the unique thing about the human condition. Sometimes we get surprised (both good and bad). The adventure continues. I was at a the 'presser' and got very good vibes. A lot of the current coaching staff was there, too.

RichH2
January 8th, 2019, 08:19 PM
Oh like Sofía Vergara I guess, does she coach too

Geez, I hope so. Guessing she would be a great recruiter. xthumbsupx xawesomexxhypedx

ngineer
January 8th, 2019, 08:22 PM
Geez, I hope so. Guessing she would be a great recruiter. xthumbsupx xawesomexxhypedx

I think played tight end.

Go...gate
January 8th, 2019, 08:50 PM

Perhaps a younger, hungrier coach and/or an alum.

van
January 8th, 2019, 09:02 PM
I think played tight end.

and runs a mean end around

RichH2
January 8th, 2019, 09:48 PM
The ngineer and van show will be here all week folks. Quips and snappy patter. xdrunkyxxnodx

Thanks guys. Enjoy the chuckles.

ngineer
January 8th, 2019, 10:23 PM
and runs a mean end around

I thought it was a 'boot-y leg'...

ngineer
January 8th, 2019, 10:25 PM
Perhaps a younger, hungrier coach and/or an alum.

Tom seemed pretty hungry to me. Age a non-factor for me. Attitude and passion very important. I want someone who "wants" to be at Lehigh and not just someone who sees it as nice place as a launch pad.

Sader87
January 8th, 2019, 11:07 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29851&stc=1
Tom Gilmore's in game coaching shoes for much of his tenure at Holy Cross.....

PAllen
January 9th, 2019, 12:13 AM

The better question is who passed on us, and why? It seems Folmar was one which is disturbing. Did Cecchini really get lured back to Valpo with an extension offer?

Honestly, this hire is raising the white flag. Hiring Tom and keeping most of the staff that we have all been bit#$ing about for years is a pathetic plan. I'd love to be proven wrong, but this looks like "Pioneer East here we come". Everything points significant problems in athletic support by the administration. I find it hard to believe that it is a financial necessity. The key question in my mind now is how high does the issue reside? Is it Joe or is it higher? I guess we'll know if we see a few more years like the last few and Joe is still hanging around.

I'm sorry to be so down, but I was raised on (and when I went through, Lehigh was all about) striving for excellence. You don't always succeed, but you always aim for and set your self up to be the best. That is clearly not the intention here. The last 2 HCs came in with the stated goals of winning the PL and competing for the national title. Now we're down to competing for the PL title and winning a game in the playoffs. That's not excellence, that's aiming for the status quo. That doesn't excite the fan base (what's left of it). That doesn't excite the donors. That certainly doesn't draw new folks into the fold by the thousands. That just reinforces that we are the minor league of the minor league and want nothing more.

Sader87
January 9th, 2019, 12:58 AM
Without red-shirting (amongst other things), a national championship is a pipe-dream for PL programs...just not gonna happen.

PAllen
January 9th, 2019, 01:20 AM
Without red-shirting (amongst other things), a national championship is a pipe-dream for PL programs...just not gonna happen.

If we're not even going to try, then let's just pack it in, play a pioneer league type slate and end the season after the L/L game.

Go...gate
January 9th, 2019, 02:14 AM
Tom seemed pretty hungry to me. Age a non-factor for me. Attitude and passion very important. I want someone who "wants" to be at Lehigh and not just someone who sees it as nice place as a launch pad.

Gilmore's tenure at Holy Cross, especially the last year, certainly presents questions. I wondered if he might be burned out.

Neighbor2
January 9th, 2019, 06:47 AM
Pretty much share the same frustration you do, PAllen. However, I’ve come to accept it and move on. There’s so much other college football out there to enjoy. I believe the Patriot League has found its comfort level. Unfortunately, that’s more “Ivy-Lite” than say, Villanova-Delaware. The Patriot League will remain in this level until it allows its schools to have the same pieces in its toolbox as other FCS programs.

Tom Gilmore will give the Lehigh administration enough satisfaction for the task at hand. YES, I do believe the focus here is limited to winning Patriot League Championships as the ultimate mark of competitiveness.

UNHWildcat18
January 9th, 2019, 09:39 AM
Poor lehigh lol

lehighfball
January 9th, 2019, 10:03 AM
The better question is who passed on us, and why? It seems Folmar was one which is disturbing. Did Cecchini really get lured back to Valpo with an extension offer?

Honestly, this hire is raising the white flag. Hiring Tom and keeping most of the staff that we have all been bit#$ing about for years is a pathetic plan. I'd love to be proven wrong, but this looks like "Pioneer East here we come". Everything points significant problems in athletic support by the administration. I find it hard to believe that it is a financial necessity. The key question in my mind now is how high does the issue reside? Is it Joe or is it higher? I guess we'll know if we see a few more years like the last few and Joe is still hanging around.

I'm sorry to be so down, but I was raised on (and when I went through, Lehigh was all about) striving for excellence. You don't always succeed, but you always aim for and set your self up to be the best. That is clearly not the intention here. The last 2 HCs came in with the stated goals of winning the PL and competing for the national title. Now we're down to competing for the PL title and winning a game in the playoffs. That's not excellence, that's aiming for the status quo. That doesn't excite the fan base (what's left of it). That doesn't excite the donors. That certainly doesn't draw new folks into the fold by the thousands. That just reinforces that we are the minor league of the minor league and want nothing more.

Folmar and Cecchini didn't pass on us. They were never offered the job and both were still very interested.
I would have preferred either one of them over Gilmore.

ngineer
January 9th, 2019, 01:37 PM
The problem with all of these hires is that we know diddly about what was actually discussed, what was reviewed, what information was received from various sources doing due diligence reviews. The 'word' coming out of building was the that Joe was looking for someone who would not need a big learning curve so as to make as smooth a transition as possible, was familiar with the PL restrictions, and had some kind of commitment toward strengthening the defense. Cecchini has a contract through 2020, so that, likely, would have involved a significant buyout. Nor was Lehigh going to break any barriers with established salary scales, that would set a precedent, as well as possible 'issues' amongst other coaches in the Athletic Department. Not being a 'profit center', athletics at PL schools cannot follow the publicized paths we see on the sports pages all the time about coaching moves. Gilmore is a passionate coach, who wants to be at Lehigh because he loved it when he was here 15 years ago. He wants to create his own legacy here as opposed to using it as a stepping stone. If he is successful, he will be approaching the Leckonby/Coen wins record as he approaches retirement. A lot of moving parts in such personnel decisions. As Joe said, yesterday, there were a number of great candidates who he felt would do an excellent job at Lehigh. It comes down, many times, to what is needed "now", so the factors are weighted accordingly.

PAllen
January 9th, 2019, 02:19 PM
The problem with all of these hires is that we know diddly about what was actually discussed, what was reviewed, what information was received from various sources doing due diligence reviews. The 'word' coming out of building was the that Joe was looking for someone who would not need a big learning curve so as to make as smooth a transition as possible, was familiar with the PL restrictions, and had some kind of commitment toward strengthening the defense. Cecchini has a contract through 2020, so that, likely, would have involved a significant buyout. Nor was Lehigh going to break any barriers with established salary scales, that would set a precedent, as well as possible 'issues' amongst other coaches in the Athletic Department. Not being a 'profit center', athletics at PL schools cannot follow the publicized paths we see on the sports pages all the time about coaching moves. Gilmore is a passionate coach, who wants to be at Lehigh because he loved it when he was here 15 years ago. He wants to create his own legacy here as opposed to using it as a stepping stone. If he is successful, he will be approaching the Leckonby/Coen wins record as he approaches retirement. A lot of moving parts in such personnel decisions. As Joe said, yesterday, there were a number of great candidates who he felt would do an excellent job at Lehigh. It comes down, many times, to what is needed "now", so the factors are weighted accordingly.

I hear you, but I fail to see how recycling a coach who failed at a league foe and keeping much of the abysmal staff is what the program needs now. Tom theoretically has as much of a chance at becoming one of the all time LU greats as anyone, but I see nothing that points to him doing that. How many 10 win seasons (even with a watered down schedule) do you honestly expect Tom to get?

RichH2
January 9th, 2019, 02:26 PM

+1 On point. I agree. Dont expect to convince the naysayers. We have a well earned reputation of beating a dead horse over and over and... They are going to continue to bemoan this hire regardless of what you say.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 9th, 2019, 03:16 PM
+1 On point. I agree. Dont expect to convince the naysayers. We have a well earned reputation of beating a dead horse over and over and... They are going to continue to bemoan this hire regardless of what you say.

I think there's a difference between the "naysayers" and the concerned fans. Even folks that aren't Lehigh fans are a little perplexed by this one. Given what we know about Gilmore it's justified. What he did at Holy Cross will not work at Lehigh. There's not much precedent for this in college football. I've racked my brain and I honestly can't think of a similar situation.

I think what is at play here is, how many of us would honestly have traded a healthy Andy for Tom Gilmore a couple of years ago? As much as we griped about the defense, 9 wins, PL Title, Top 20 ranking and a playoff appearance was a helluva lot better than what Tom had going on in Worcester. I think in some, perhaps many ways Lehigh is taking a step back from what they had. This was an opportunity to go for the next Higgins, Lembo, Clawson or Coen. Instead, as of right now it's Mike Riley or Ron Zook...

I'm not saying Gilmore can't or won't succeed to the level of the previous 6 coaches. Just that what he did at Holy Cross won't cut it. And it has absolutely nothing to do Holy Cross's administration. That's a bogus excuse for why he lost games he shouldn't have....

Lehigh'98
January 9th, 2019, 03:49 PM

So you are saying it was a short sighted hire. I agree.

RichH2
January 9th, 2019, 03:50 PM
I think there's a difference between the "naysayers" and the concerned fans. Even folks that aren't Lehigh fans are a little perplexed by this one. Given what we know about Gilmore it's justified. What he did at Holy Cross will not work at Lehigh. There's not much precedent for this in college football. I've racked my brain and I honestly can't think of a similar situation.

I think what is at play here is, how many of us would honestly have traded a healthy Andy for Tom Gilmore a couple of years ago? As much as we griped about the defense, 9 wins, PL Title, Top 20 ranking and a playoff appearance was a helluva lot better than what Tom had going on in Worcester. I think in some, perhaps many ways Lehigh is taking a step back from what they had. This was an opportunity to go for the next Higgins, Lembo, Clawson or Coen. Instead, as of right now it's Mike Riley or Ron Zook...

I'm not saying Gilmore can't or won't succeed to the level of the previous 6 coaches. Just that what he did at Holy Cross won't cut it. And it has absolutely nothing to do Holy Cross's administration. That's a bogus excuse for why he lost games he shouldn't have....

My point owl is why are any still debating this. What is the point? He is the coach. Its done. He screws up, y'all can cite your myriad voiced concerns and get a free pass to say I told you so. Time now to see what he plans, who he hires and how he recruits. Those are the things that will say more about our future.

van
January 9th, 2019, 04:02 PM
hey, this is not the supreme court, not a lifetime appointment, cut the mustard or move on, no sleeping on the bench here

PAllen
January 9th, 2019, 04:22 PM
My point owl is why are any still debating this. What is the point? He is the coach. Its done. He screws up, y'all can cite your myriad voiced concerns and get a free pass to say I told you so. Time now to see what he plans, who he hires and how he recruits. Those are the things that will say more about our future.

For one, this is a discussion board. Many of us have concerns about what this hire means for the program and potentially the university at large. We are voicing those concerns in a discussion about the hire. I don't expect any of us to sway the administration into reversing the hire. Some of us are just pointing out the extreme rose colored tint some others are putting on this hire. That a national search that lasts over a month yields Tom Gilmore points to serious issues with the program. That is what we are trying to discuss. Do any of us know enough to have an educated discussion about it? Probably not, but we just spent 20+ pages discussing potential candidates who were never under consideration including P5 bowl winners and some drunk old man's daughter. I don't want to say "I told you so." I want to find out more from the collective knowledge in the discussion about what leads to such a decision. Maybe we never get there, but if not for this discussion, how many of us would have even considered Tom Gilmore as a possibility for this position?

Go...gate
January 9th, 2019, 04:28 PM
Pretty much share the same frustration you do, PAllen. However, I’ve come to accept it and move on. There’s so much other college football out there to enjoy. I believe the Patriot League has found its comfort level. Unfortunately, that’s more “Ivy-Lite” than say, Villanova-Delaware. The Patriot League will remain in this level until it allows its schools to have the same pieces in its toolbox as other FCS programs.

Tom Gilmore will give the Lehigh administration enough satisfaction for the task at hand. YES, I do believe the focus here is limited to winning Patriot League Championships as the ultimate mark of competitiveness.

Which is precisely how the Ivy evolved over the years. I am old enough to have seen it happen.

RichH2
January 9th, 2019, 05:03 PM
For one, this is a discussion board. Many of us have concerns about what this hire means for the program and potentially the university at large. We are voicing those concerns in a discussion about the hire. I don't expect any of us to sway the administration into reversing the hire. Some of us are just pointing out the extreme rose colored tint some others are putting on this hire. That a national search that lasts over a month yields Tom Gilmore points to serious issues with the program. That is what we are trying to discuss. Do any of us know enough to have an educated discussion about it? Probably not, but we just spent 20+ pages discussing potential candidates who were never under consideration including P5 bowl winners and some drunk old man's daughter. I don't want to say "I told you so." I want to find out more from the collective knowledge in the discussion about what leads to such a decision. Maybe we never get there, but if not for this discussion, how many of us would have even considered Tom Gilmore as a possibility for this position?
I can understand your point. Dont really disagree. I dont see how we learn much from all the same fans rephrasing all the same assumptions and speculations pagevafter page. We assume facts we will never kniw about the process. We have all given our opinions on whether this was a smart choice. No one appears to be changing their views.
So what more is to be learned?
What I want to know now is what will he do. Admittedly we are in a lull :). Not likely to learn much until next week and not see actual football until April.
So the suspense will continue. Most of us hopeful, if a bit sanguine about the possibility of success.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 9th, 2019, 05:40 PM
I can understand your point. Dont really disagree. I dont see how we learn much from all the same fans rephrasing all the same assumptions and speculations pagevafter page. We assume facts we will never kniw about the process. We have all given our opinions on whether this was a smart choice. No one appears to be changing their views.
So what more is to be learned?
What I want to know now is what will he do. Admittedly we are in a lull :). Not likely to learn much until next week and not see actual football until April.
So the suspense will continue. Most of us hopeful, if a bit sanguine about the possibility of success.

Word is still getting out so people are still reacting. Most hires aren't meant with this many raised eye-brows from outside observers so grin and bear it until the games start.

Generally speaking it's all about hiring a staff Gilmore can work with and succeed with then formulating a plan for spring practice. The defense must improve obviously. He and the OC must settle on a QB. I hope like hell he has good OL coach. That was a Lehigh staple under Coen.

Outside of UC Davis, the schedule is quite manageable to start the year. I would like to think Lehigh should be able to finish in the top half of the league. He start's his tenure with a trip to Hamilton. I'd like there to be a reason to make that trek.

ngineer
January 9th, 2019, 09:26 PM
Word is still getting out so people are still reacting. Most hires aren't meant with this many raised eye-brows from outside observers so grin and bear it until the games start.

Generally speaking it's all about hiring a staff Gilmore can work with and succeed with then formulating a plan for spring practice. The defense must improve obviously. He and the OC must settle on a QB. I hope like hell he has good OL coach. That was a Lehigh staple under Coen.

Outside of UC Davis, the schedule is quite manageable to start the year. I would like to think Lehigh should be able to finish in the top half of the league. He start's his tenure with a trip to Hamilton. I'd like there to be a reason to make that trek.

?? Have you seen our complete schedule? I am only aware that we open with St. Francis, 'nova and a trip to UC-Davis. After that, I haven't been able to confirm anything. So when is our "trip to Hamilton?" I have a family wedding being planned in the fall and would certainly like to try and see that one.

Bill
January 9th, 2019, 09:33 PM
[/B]
?? Have you seen our complete schedule? I am only aware that we open with St. Francis, 'nova and a trip to UC-Davis. After that, I haven't been able to confirm anything. So when is our "trip to Hamilton?" I have a family wedding being planned in the fall and would certainly like to try and see that one.

ngineer,
I've seen copies of the schedule that have us at Colgate on 10/5 next season....

Sader87
January 9th, 2019, 11:25 PM
How do you not have your 2019 schedule etched in stone at this point?

van
January 10th, 2019, 06:34 AM
How do you not have your 2019 schedule etched in stone at this point?

stone age scheduling, Colgate site confirms Lehigh on 10/5, they have a link to future schedules

LehighU11
January 10th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Lehigh's partial 2019 schedule: https://fbschedules.com/lehigh-football-schedule/
Colgate's 2019 schedule: https://fbschedules.com/colgate-football-schedule/

Mark your calendars: 11/2 is the Gilmore Bowl at Goodman between HC and LU. Lehigh will be out for blood after 56-0. That might be the PL game of the year.

RichH2
January 10th, 2019, 09:09 AM
Lehigh's partial 2019 schedule: https://fbschedules.com/lehigh-football-schedule/

Mark your calendars: 11/2 is the Gilmore Bowl at Goodman between HC and LU. Lehigh will be out for blood after 56-0. That might be the PL game of the year.

Thanks 11. IIRC, OOC is Nova, UC Davis and 3 NEC teams.
Cross game at Goodman should be fun. Lots if subtext. Overall, LU should have a solid basis for a better team asuming a healthy OL, no major injuries and Tom doesnt screw it up. :)

The Boogie Down
January 10th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Thoughts on Potential Lehigh HC?

Didn't think I'd have any thoughts on this topic but, then again, I never thought Gilmore was a serious candidate. Not sure when the last time Fordham lost to Gilmore (2011?) so going up against him is almost always a pleasure. Throw in the fact that he'll be going all-out to make sure he at least beats HC every year and that's a pretty good win/win for non-Lehigh and non-Cross fans. Looking forward xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
January 10th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Realistically, where is Lehigh at the start of the 2019 in the PL hierarchy, weak as it is--third, fourth?

Sader87
January 10th, 2019, 01:35 PM
HC and Colgate both have pretty brutal OOC skeds next year....wondah how that might impact them in league play??? Be interesting...

ETA: Fordham's is pretty tough too. I like seeing the upgrades in the scheduling mostly league wide. Now we have to translate solid play on the field to match the scheduling xdrunkyx

On a non-PL note (sorta), a shame that Princeton is not playing Rutgers next year for the 150th. They play Butler, Bucknell and Lafayette. Harvard continues to underwhelm, playing San Diego, Howard and lol, Holy Cross.

RichH2
January 10th, 2019, 05:43 PM
Realistically, where is Lehigh at the start of the 2019 in the PL hierarchy, weak as it is--third, fourth?

Dunno. Preseason Gate at #1. Rest are at best an undifferentiated blob of teams moving up, down and stagnating. Preseason I would put LU at 4. Cross and Hoyas at 2 and 3. I dont believe there will be much if anything separating 2 thru 7 as of now.

PAllen
January 10th, 2019, 06:18 PM
Gate #1 of course. Then with this hire (sticking to the topic of the thread) I'd put HC, Fordham, Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Georgetown.

crusader11
January 10th, 2019, 07:20 PM
Hearing that Gilmore has poached an assistant from HC.

van
January 10th, 2019, 07:24 PM
I would not put Hoyas at #7, they were fairly young last year and tied for second with Cross

RichH2
January 10th, 2019, 07:45 PM
Hearing that Gilmore has poached an assistant from HC.

Well he already has 2 prior HC coaches in Bandy and Kashurba. Just saying. :)

Go...gate
January 10th, 2019, 08:25 PM
HC and Colgate both have pretty brutal OOC skeds next year....wondah how that might impact them in league play??? Be interesting...

ETA: Fordham's is pretty tough too. I like seeing the upgrades in the scheduling mostly league wide. Now we have to translate solid play on the field to match the scheduling xdrunkyx

On a non-PL note (sorta), a shame that Princeton is not playing Rutgers next year for the 150th. They play Butler, Bucknell and Lafayette. Harvard continues to underwhelm, playing San Diego, Howard and lol, Holy Cross.

A travesty, IMO. Not to mention that Princeton would give Rutgers a hell of a good game.

ngineer
January 11th, 2019, 12:45 PM

Thanks...Couldn't find it anywhere on LU's website and even called athletic ticket office who had no clue.

Actually, stand corrected. This is only a partial schedule, what I had before. I was concerned about September 28....

LehighU11
January 11th, 2019, 01:05 PM
Thanks...Couldn't find it anywhere on LU's website and even called athletic ticket office who had no clue.

Actually, stand corrected. This is only a partial schedule, what I had before. I was concerned about September 28....
From Lehigh's article (https://lehighsports.com/news/2018/7/27/visit-to-uc-davis-highlights-2019-non-league-football-slate.aspx) announcing the game at UC Davis, we also have an away game at St. Francis and home games against Sacred Heart and Wagner. SFU and Wagner have announced games on 9/21 against Columbia and Florida Atlantic, respectively. That leaves 9/21 as either home against Sacred Heart or a bye week for Lehigh. 9/28 isn't clear.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 11th, 2019, 01:27 PM
From Lehigh's article (https://lehighsports.com/news/2018/7/27/visit-to-uc-davis-highlights-2019-non-league-football-slate.aspx) announcing the game at UC Davis, we also have an away game at St. Francis and home games against Sacred Heart and Wagner. SFU and Wagner have announced games on 9/21 against Columbia and Florida Atlantic, respectively. That leaves 9/21 as either home against Sacred Heart or a bye week for Lehigh. 9/28 isn't clear.

I'm positive Lehigh's OOC is UC Davis, Villanova, Wagner, Saint Francis and Sacred Heart. I'm just not sure of the order. Overall, Lehigh's schedule should be very manageable if they get something going. I'm really tired of losing to Villanova. It has nothing to do with it being Villanova either. When you schedule a team this many times you need to beat them. Especially when they're far from the Patriots now that Talley is gone. Coen beat them in his first so year so maybe Gilmore does the same.

Given the current state of the PL and now knowing the extent of Andy's health issues my expectation is for them to finish no worse than 3rd. There is plenty of talent waiting in the wings on offense. I have no issue with turning the page from Mayes. He was talented but lacked certain intangibles imo. The skill position players in general remain very good. The OL will have plenty of depth and experience.

Can Gilmore fix the defense and be a better game day coach? Those are the ultimate questions imo. The Gilmore-Kashurba combo at Holy Cross was not good. Kashurba had much more success under Susan at Bucknell. The front seven lacks personnel. With that said, an increased effort and a better scheme should lead to a modest improvement. It literally can't sink any lower...

RichH2
January 11th, 2019, 02:04 PM
I'm positive Lehigh's OOC is UC Davis, Villanova, Wagner, Saint Francis and Sacred Heart. I'm just not sure of the order. Overall, Lehigh's schedule should be very manageable if they get something going. I'm really tired of losing to Villanova. It has nothing to do with it being Villanova either. When you schedule a team this many times you need to beat them. Especially when they're far from the Patriots now that Talley is gone. Coen beat them in his first so year so maybe Gilmore does the same.

Given the current state of the PL and now knowing the extent of Andy's health issues my expectation is for them to finish no worse than 3rd. There is plenty of talent waiting in the wings on offense. I have no issue with turning the page from Mayes. He was talented but lacked certain intangibles imo. The skill position players in general remain very good. The OL will have plenty of depth and experience.

Can Gilmore fix the defense and be a better game day coach? Those are the ultimate questions imo. The Gilmore-Kashurba combo at Holy Cross was not good. Kashurba had much more success under Susan at Bucknell. The front seven lacks personnel. With that said, an increased effort and a better scheme should lead to a modest improvement. It literally can't sink any lower...
LB group is good if we can keep Norris and Hafner healthy. DL has 13 bodies including this year's commits. Only 3 DTs including Colton. If Kircher returns healthy he can be a DT or DE.
TG a hands on HC. If he can keep that to camps and practice, I wont worry about in game. Hope he has learned to let his coordinators do their job.

van
January 11th, 2019, 02:05 PM

I think LB will be OK with Woetzel, Norris, Slater, Haffner and Seighman, DL is a big worry for me, untested and questionable depth

RichH2
January 11th, 2019, 02:52 PM
I think LB will be OK with Woetzel, Norris, Slater, Haffner and Seighman, DL is a big worry for me, untested and questionable depth

Only 1 starter back. DT has 0 letterman returning unless Nace and/or Kircher are shifted back. Lots of bodies very little experience. Rybka will be good but never moved up into 2 deep until Pards.

ngineer
January 12th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Maybe time to shut this thread down and shift to new topic? We have the new HC. Staffing up within the coming week will be interesting...

RichH2
January 12th, 2019, 12:07 PM
Yup. DiMichele at RB coach looks like a good start.