PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown St. off season

Paladin1aa
December 10th, 2018, 12:32 PM
YSU appears set with the 2019 schedule. It is watered down seriously with home OOC games with Howard, Duquesne and Robert Morris. The OOC opener is away with Samford. It is one of the easiest schedules in memory. Going 4-7 will do that to you. Twelve game schedule.

Recruiting is not going well. One decent Pa. H.S. Commit and a few others currently are apparent signees coming up. Lots of Juco offers are out, but no news of closing the deals. Talent recruiting wise does not appear to be improved.

Rumor mill has the fools at YSU offering a 3 year contract extension to Bozo. With little talent returning, the misery is expected to continue. Another rumor has his brother leaving Bowling Green as their DC and returning to YSU, upset over a pay cut. The drama continues. xlolx

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2018, 12:55 PM
YSU appears set with the 2019 schedule. It is watered down seriously with home OOC games with Howard, Duquesne and Robert Morris. The OOC opener is away with Samford. It is one of the easiest schedules in memory. Going 4-7 will do that to you. Twelve game schedule.

Any idea if that Howard game is on 9/21 or 9/28?

Paladin1aa
December 10th, 2018, 01:54 PM
No idea. Local newspaper gave opponents but not dates.

SU DOG
December 10th, 2018, 02:18 PM

Recruiting is not going well. One decent Pa. H.S. Commit and a few others currently are apparent signees coming up. Lots of Juco offers are out, but no news of closing the deals. Talent recruiting wise does not appear to be improved.

Rumor mill has the fools at YSU offering a 3 year contract extension to Bozo. With little talent returning, the misery is expected to continue. Another rumor has his brother leaving Bowling Green as their DC and returning to YSU, upset over a pay cut. The drama continues. xlolx

I know about the Butler deal, BUT, didn't this same YSU beat Northern Iowa and give #1 NDSU fits in that game? Since we will play y 'all(southern speech) next, I would like to believe all of your po' mouthin'(more) but I'm not so sure. You may be kin to McNeese folks who sandbag so much on here.

BTW, I saw that December Playoff Semis game in 1991 when Samford would have beat the Penguins, but couldn't beat the weather up there. Our southern speed advantage was completely neutralized. xlolx

DFW HOYA
December 10th, 2018, 02:54 PM
YSU appears set with the 2019 schedule. It is watered down seriously with home OOC games with Howard, Duquesne and Robert Morris.

Curious if the game with Howard is alongside (or a substitute for) a rumored game with Georgetown next season. Howard traditionally plays only one or two I-AA opponents each year outside the HBCU's.

kdinva
December 10th, 2018, 02:56 PM
No idea. Local newspaper gave opponents but not dates.

fbschedules.com

they added a full FCS area this past June:

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/youngstown-state/

Paladin1aa
December 10th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Merely a guess- Howard played a paycheck game at FBS Kent St last season in the 2nd game. I’m guessing YSU is providing a paycheck for them to come back to Ohio. Still only rough info on the game so far.

i checked that site after getting info from the paper and still no info there.

Penguin Nation
December 10th, 2018, 05:02 PM
Scumbag U doesn't ever factor in performance, or personal conduct, when renewing HC contracts. This renewal is worse than Heacock's or Slocums's renewals.

A 12 game season with no FBS opponent, one opponent (RMU) ranked 121/125 by Massey in the FCS, and another (Howard) ranked 94/125. No obvious attempt to use this as an opportunity to play a MAC team, or an FCS opponent meaningful to the (tiny) fanbase.

My suspicion is not only is Bozo staying, but he will get a raise, which is why it'll wait until February when the final NE paycheck is received (any raise prior would simply lower NE's obligation).

The decades old strategy of a weak OOC schedule may finally pay off. If Scumbag U sweeps their OOC schedule (they should), then they only need 3 MVFC wins to get to 7 D1 wins, and likely playoffs. Lose to Samford, and they're likely screwed for the season.

cx500d
December 10th, 2018, 05:55 PM

I see you losing at least 2 of those games

Paladin1aa
December 10th, 2018, 07:27 PM
LOL ! Thats a brave prediction considering they have no QB, lose 4of the 5 OL starters with poor backups returning, lose their best RB, DL, LB ,both S and 21 seniors who played ahead of poor underclassmen.

Hey, when you lose to Butler, anything is possible. Right now, mark my words, the cupboard is bare.

Penguin Nation
December 10th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Not that brave. They’ve watered down the OOC schedule drastically plus it’s 12 games. One win above .500 is 7 wins. Any more watered down and they’re playing St. Christines.

Paladin1aa
December 11th, 2018, 08:42 AM
I don’t know, PN. Sweeping the OOC games and winning 3 in the MVFC May give them 7 games, but it means no meaningful wins and losing 5 MVFC games would leave them 5th or 6th in the league. That is not making the playoffs. Samford, on the road in the opener, even at its neutral site , is not going to be an easy win with the personnel on YSUs roster.

Recruiting is of prime importance now. Only one significant recruit committed now. That’s lots of holes to fill and Frosh normally don’t fare well against 4th or 5th year players. Jucos or transfers may help, but Bozo isn’t doing any better there recruit wise.

And, you are right, that fool Strollo extending Bozo would be worse than Heacock or Slocum extensions, which resulted in destroying both FB and MBB.

The horse sheet continues.

wapiti
December 11th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Having an easy schedule helps a team to make the playoffs and earn a seed. Just make sure you win those "easy" games.

Penguin Nation
December 11th, 2018, 02:55 PM
It's so blatant its unreal. The only other MVFC team not to have an FBS opponent is NDSU, who can't schedule them cuz they keep beating them (clearly not Scum U's situation). NDSU does have 2 OOC games away from the FD, including an away game at Delaware, as well as a game vs future MVFC member ND.

I thought the University was dependent upon blood game money. In a 12 game season, you could still get 6 home games (the number used to appease loge renters) and have 2 P5 or at least G5 opponents....then you could stop b-----ing about not having the $$ for real stadium upgrades or a decent HC.

The local media never discusses this stuff, and the cheerleader crowd couldn't care less, so the University just continues to make asinine decisions....like renewing the contract of a HC with one winning conference record out of 4 seasons.

TheKingpin28
December 11th, 2018, 03:01 PM
It's so blatant its unreal. The only other MVFC team not to have an FBS opponent is NDSU, who can't schedule them cuz they keep beating them (clearly not Scum U's situation). NDSU does have 2 OOC games away from the FD, including an away game at Delaware, as well as a game vs future MVFC member ND.

I thought the University was dependent upon blood game money. In a 12 game season, you could still get 6 home games (the number used to appease loge renters) and have 2 P5 or at least G5 opponents....then you could stop b-----ing about not having the $$ for real stadium upgrades or a decent HC.

The local media never discusses this stuff, and the cheerleader crowd couldn't care less, so the University just continues to make asinine decisions....like renewing the contract of a HC with one winning conference record out of 4 seasons.

GFCC comes to the dome next year.

6 home games
5 road games
1 neutral game (Target Field, but Minneapolis is Bison territory anyway)

Penguin Nation
December 11th, 2018, 04:14 PM
GFCC comes to the dome next year.

6 home games
5 road games
1 neutral game (Target Field, but Minneapolis is Bison territory anyway)

Ok so the Penguins are now to be known as SUCC (Scumbag U....) xthumbsupx

Paladin1aa
December 12th, 2018, 05:39 PM
The Vindy confirms YSU picks up a verbal from All Ohio QB Mark Waid from Girard, the best QB in the area. He decommits from Fordham. Probably a potential starter as a Frosh who was a dual threat with huge stats running and passing. Was the D-IV Player of the year in Ohio as a Jr. 6’3, 215

Penguin Nation
December 12th, 2018, 07:54 PM
The Vindy confirms YSU picks up a verbal from All Ohio QB Mark Waid from Girard, the best QB in the area. He decommits from Fordham. Probably a potential starter as a Frosh who was a dual threat with huge stats running and passing. Was the D-IV Player of the year in Ohio as a Jr. 6’3, 215

I know good players get overlooked, but why was Fordham his only other offer?

Also, I heard Bozo told him, "since you'll probably regress like every other QB at SUCC, do you know any sophomores I can also recruit?"

Paladin1aa
December 12th, 2018, 08:55 PM
LOL! Have not heard that ,PN, but there is something to that. In his case, he started as a Frosh and Soph on bad teams. Then as a Jr, he had a monster year. Did not get out to attend camps. But as Player of the year. And being smart, had offers from Dartmouth and Cornell, Robert Morris and Fordham. He verbaled Fordham as he plans business admin. and had thoughts of Wall St and living in NYC. Even YSU was late to the chase. I have seen several of his games, including a playoff classic against my grandsons team and he can play. Combo of early losing teams, no camps and late blooming success makes up for much of his story. And QB is a numbers game as people usually only take one a year.

YSU only has one QB now who I consider a player (Cunningham) and both are dual threat, Bozos favored QB system. If he comes, one of them will start next year. Their problem ? No OL,no protection.

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Has Bo signed that extension yet? The chatter at NDSU is that current DC Matt Entz will be promoted to head coach and staying at NDSU.

That means Klieman might need a DC down at K-State.... Klieman likes Bo and Bo likes Klieman.... Klieman could use someone with FBS experience on his staff....

Paladin1aa
December 13th, 2018, 12:21 PM
No extension yet. There are rumors locally about the KSU job. My guess is he stays as he still has kids going to his local alma mater and he has all the money he needs. But the coaches like one another, so you never know.

GreenGlasses
December 13th, 2018, 02:50 PM

How can he be an Ohio player of the year and only have offers other than Youngstown State be:
Fordham
Cornell
Dartmouth
Robert Morris

Not even 1 MAC offer, and trust me some of them need QBs. I understand some guys fall through the cracks in recruiting but when you are supposedly an all state player that usually doesn't happen. Color me not impressed.

SU DOG
December 13th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Does YSU still have the commitment(from August) of OLB Gianni Rizzo? That looked like a good get as he had about 15 offers.

Paladin1aa
December 13th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Rizzo is still on board. His Norwin, Pa. h.s. Teammate Thrift also remains on board after offers from WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, Indiana and a dozen other schools.

The QB Waid was the Ohio Division IV O. Player of the year as a Jr. Twice first team All State. Feel. Free to think what you want, the kid is a player. Ohio has 7 divisions with D-I being the biggest. His team played in the State Championship game vs Cincinnati Wyoming who had the D-IV Player of the Year QB this year as a Jr. Senior year stats - 4300+ passing yds, over 40 passing TDs, 65% passing completions, 9 INT and 1770 rushing yds and 17 TDs. I believe those numbers are less than his Jr. year. He will play at YSU at some point.

P.S. As to MAC recruiting, what I see is many are recruiting Jucos, Calif,Fla and Tex. Players. I’m surprised as well but YSU ( 2 Miles from his school) was late to the chase as well.

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2018, 07:32 AM
Three star safety Jayvon Thrift of Norwin ,Pa has decommitted from YSU. Major loss.

Penguin Nation
December 17th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Three star safety Jayvon Thrift of Norwin ,Pa has decommitted from YSU. Major loss.

He had multiple P5 offers. I wasn't sure what the bait was to commit to SUCC. Cocaine and prostitutes? Ray Isaac's old car?

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2018, 10:49 PM
I hear he is undecided but could be old leader Pitt or WVU or Syracuse. Dark horse is Ohio U.

It may well be another stinker class coming in. Bozo hates recruiting. We will know soon.

Paladin1aa
December 19th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Thrift signs with WVU. YSU was off to a poor start with 8 signees, including a LS. No Jucos so far, nor transfers. H.S. Players signed include 2 DTs, 2 DBs, a LB, a LS, a WR and a QB. Best get is the QB, AllOhio Mark Waid. One Fla. player. Not impressive at all. No help for the OL. Bozo apparently strikes out again.

Paladin1aa
December 20th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Finally..... YSU adds Juco OL Jordan Velez, 6’4, 315. That’s a start, but need more OL.

Paladin1aa
December 23rd, 2018, 01:06 PM
Finally YSU adds another WR and a Slot. Good athletes but still have not done enough to address OL. Charleston at the Slot got votes for Ohio Mr. Football after scoring 51 TDs his senior year. The WR lead his team to a Pa. state title.

Paladin1aa
January 6th, 2019, 07:55 PM
Pelini is getting a 3 year extension. YSUs AD continues to show how clueless and inept he is. The lost decade is well under way.

Next up is NLOID and nothing exciting is happening. The early class was ho hum. The MVFC should be licking their chops. YSU football sucks.

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Pelini is getting a 3 year extension. YSUs AD continues to show how clueless and inept he is. The lost decade is well under way.

Next up is NLOID and nothing exciting is happening. The early class was ho hum. The MVFC should be licking their chops. YSU football sucks.

He's good as gone next year.

Paladin1aa
January 7th, 2019, 07:42 AM
One can only hope. But he will leave a huge hole from years of bad recruiting. Meanwhile YSU has reached weenie status.

Penguin Nation
January 7th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Whatever. They fired the Wolf who never embarrassed the program, was progressively improving the program, beat a P5 team, crushed the cupcakes, and in his final 2 years had both a winning conference and total record.

Now, they renew the contract of a clown who has deteriorated the program, lost to a cupcake, no FBS wins, made international infamy when recruiting a gang rapist, and has a losing conference and overall record his lat two years.

It’s as if they want to lose.

clenz
January 7th, 2019, 05:43 PM
It being a there year deal is a sign of him being gone, through whatever avenue, sooner than later.

It's not even long enough to truly sell recruiting as stability

They left him a lame duck coach and then extended him with a lame duck contract.

Woof all the way around.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
January 8th, 2019, 09:08 AM
The non-conference schedule is set with Samford , Howard, Duquesne and Robert Morris the first 4 games. After the Butler fiasco this past season, can one of the cupcakes bite them again ? Stay tuned.

BTW PN, can’t argue with your analysis. Wolf was far more successful, an effective recruiter and didn’t damage YSU as this current clown is doing. His sin was not getting a decent DC because he had everything pointed in a championship direction. But then you got Strollo calling the shots and everything gets fuc ked up.

Penguin Nation
January 8th, 2019, 09:27 AM
It's worse than I even alluded to. Heacock's contract was renewed after a combined record in '03/'04 of 9-14. Of course there's Jerry Slocum. At YSU, losers get rewarded and winners get fired....every time.

So desperate for fake wins that the AD has forsaken FBS game revenue in 2019, and scheduled some of the lowest ranked FCS teams he could find.

Epic incompetence to match their epic corruption.

Paladin1aa
January 8th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Hey, PN, you forgot the lame WBB coaches he screwed up with, including the charmer who went 0-30 her first year. Two straight major losers there,lol. I don’t know of another more inept AD than Strollo in the nation.

So far, little to report on national signing day coming up. He had better hit Florida hard and the Jucos. Things look bleak for next year so far.

SU DOG
January 8th, 2019, 03:37 PM
The non-conference schedule is set with Samford , Howard, Duquesne and Robert Morris the first 4 games. After the Butler fiasco this past season, can one of the cupcakes bite them again ? Stay tuned.

BTW PN, can’t argue with your analysis. Wolf was far more successful, an effective recruiter and didn’t damage YSU as this current clown is doing. His sin was not getting a decent DC because he had everything pointed in a championship direction. But then you got Strollo calling the shots and everything gets fuc ked up.

YSU may be the favorite against Samford, I have no idea. I will say, however, that I don't think anyone can look at their 2019 schedule at this time and consider Samford a cupcake. Well, on second thought, the one exception might be Auburn LOL. We did lose 3 All-Americans, including the best passer in FCS, but Samford returns a large group of experienced and talented players on both sides of the ball. A homer's optimism, of course, but I look for us to be pretty good this year.

Paladin1aa
January 8th, 2019, 08:22 PM
Actually, at this point, I’d expect Samford to win. YSU is not the team of yesterday. Program is weak with a poor roster of Pelini recruits, an inept coaching staff and a farce of a HC.

ytownchief22
January 8th, 2019, 09:36 PM
Matt Jones, starting center for West Virginia the last 2 years is transferring to YSU. Eligible right away for 2019.

Paladin1aa
January 9th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Jones will be a graduate transfer with one year of eligibility. Bozo continues to recruit limited mercenaries while he strikes out with h.s. Recruits. What a way to run a program.

ytownchief22
January 19th, 2019, 11:04 AM
Carl Pelini is coming back to YSU as D-Coordinator and will be head coach in waiting once Bo leaves in a few years. Interesting news....

Laker
January 19th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Carl Pelini is coming back to YSU as D-Coordinator and will be head coach in waiting once Bo leaves in a few years. Interesting news....

http://footballscoop.com/news/source-carl-pelini-heading-back-youngstown-state-head-coach-waiting/

Schism55
January 19th, 2019, 11:34 AM
All Pelini....ALL the time!

TheKingpin28
January 19th, 2019, 11:35 AM
I get to see more ragers on the sidelines? Count me in!

Paladin1aa
January 19th, 2019, 05:35 PM
Still more B.S. at YSU. Carl was a failure at FAU as a HC and got embroiled in the drug scandal down there. While DC at BGSU last year, he became the interim HC , going 2-3. The nepotism and politics at YSU remain waist deep in sheet. Looks like nothing is going to change.

ytownchief22
January 19th, 2019, 07:43 PM
Carl was a pretty bad HC but a good DC. Bo's defenses aren't the same without him on staff.

In other news, a nice commit from Cardinal Mooney DE Cheriff Jamison.

Paladin1aa
January 20th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Finally. Jamison is a good get. One of the rare h.s. Recruits Bozo gets that’s pretty good. Carl is indeed a good DC. But why would they hire him as a HC ? He is a loser as a HC and if no better a recruiter than Bozo, the program .goes nowhere

IBleedYellow
January 20th, 2019, 09:02 AM
U think I speak for the rest of the Valley when I say this about Carl coming back:

Awww ****.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
January 20th, 2019, 10:46 AM

wow, I didn't have big issue with YSU's previous OOC slates ... good FBS and 2 weak FCS teams, given they play tough MVFC slate. But for 2019, a year with 4 OOC games .. they have no FBS, and now play 2 middling teams and 2 weak teams. Samford finished 6-5 with stud QB graduating, and Duquense surprised us with their 1st round handling of Towson, only to get smoked by SDSU in 2nd round .. so they remain a questionable auto-bid playoff contender, but certainly at least a team with a pulse. YSU needs to win 3 of 4 or season is probably dead in water. Hard to imagine them doing better than 4-4 in MVFC, so porbably needs to win 4 of 4 OOC to have a shot at playoffs at 8-4.

Intersting tidbits ... last time FCS played 12 game season was 2013, YSU went 8-4 (losses to 14-1 NDSU, 9-4 SDSU, 9-4 ISUr, and 6-5 SIU, they beat 6-7 Pitt) and got wrongly left out of playoffs for 2nd year in a row. 2012 they went 7-4 (only losses to 13-1 Mich St, 15-0 NDSU, 9-5 SDSU, and 7-5 UNI) .. IMO, they got screwed 2 years in a row by committee, which I believe is what led to HC being fired ??

UNH is a lock with those results, YSU is out and fires the HC. In comes Pelini ... I think that is accurate chronology ?? Am I missing anything pertinent ?

Edit with corrections ... I had the correct YSU records, but I reversed each seasons key losses:

- 2012 YSU was 7-4 .. only losses to 14-1 NDSU, 9-4 SDSU, 9-4 ISUr, and 6-5 SIU, they beat 6-7 Pitt

- 2013 YSU was 8-4 .. only losses to 13-1 Mich St, 15-0 NDSU, 9-5 SDSU, and 7-5 UNI

Paladin1aa
January 20th, 2019, 12:39 PM
Only that the losses were late season and was the “reason” committee used to deny. Locally, politics are deep at YSU. There are two parochials in Youngstown, Ursuline and Cardinal Mooney. Wolford was an Ursuline guy but played ( and started for 3 years) at Kansas St. Pelini was a Cardinal Mooney guy and played at Ohio St. The “money boys” didn’t like Wolf ( and Ursuline). Even though he had program turned around from Heacock and was a solid recruiter, missing the playoffs was unforgiving. Pelini was thought to be a better hire ( and they were Cardinal Mooney guys too ), he was hired, wrecked the program, recruited a convicted rapist, pushed away media and PR responsibilities and is a poor recruiter with an average record, he gets extended. Amazing.

Redbird 4th & short
January 20th, 2019, 01:32 PM
Only that the losses were late season and was the “reason” committee used to deny. Locally, politics are deep at YSU. There are two parochials in Youngstown, Ursuline and Cardinal Mooney. Wolford was an Ursuline guy but played ( and started for 3 years) at Kansas St. Pelini was a Cardinal Mooney guy and played at Ohio St. The “money boys” didn’t like Wolf ( and Ursuline). Even though he had program turned around from Heacock and was a solid recruiter, missing the playoffs was unforgiving. Pelini was thought to be a better hire ( and they were Cardinal Mooney guys too ), he was hired, wrecked the program, recruited a convicted rapist, pushed away media and PR responsibilities and is a poor recruiter with an average record, he gets extended. Amazing.
what is pathetic was how it took until 2014 and MVFC's utter domination before we started getting the bids we deserved. I'm still amazed how in 2013, the MVFC got just 2 teams and then a year later got 5 teams, but only because we completely dominate FCS in regular season and then proved it further in post seasons going 10-4 overall, but 7-1 against non-MVFC teams. And the YSU HC was fired as a result. Whatever happened to looking at entire seasons resume. Again, UNH was a lock anytime they are 7-4 and usually against weaker SOS.

It's in the past, and this year was a little better than usual for selection committee .. other than still trying to understand how 2 Southland teams with 6-4 records make it and a MVFC team with same 6-4 record against tougher SOS did not. In fact, three 6-4 teams made it in over 6-4 ISUb.

POint being, your HC was fired because of this and now you have Pelini as a result ...

SU DOG
January 20th, 2019, 08:09 PM
Not only did we lose one of the best passing QBs in FCS history, but also an AA DE and an AA WR. Let's also include, among others, our starting MLB and leading tackler.

YSU signees? xcoffeexIf I've got this correct(correct it if not), the Penguins have signed a couple of Mr. Football in Ohio finalists, a couple of 300+ pound O-Linemen, a big 3*** DE, a highly sought after 2** QB, A LB that had at least 12 FCS and 2 FBS offers, a huge Center who xferred in from West VA and started for them, and also return Nathan Mays your big Sr. QB. Add to that a new DC that some are excited about. Hmmm... cry me a river.xlolx

Paladin1aa
February 5th, 2019, 07:00 PM
NLOID looks to be another bust for YSU. They will sign some players tomorrow but most appear to be undersized, marginal, held little interest for recruiting by other schools and are not at the positions needed (ol,dl ). Lots of walk-ons of local players , adding nothing but PR and not talent. Bozo brings in another stinker class. The lost decade continues.

ytownchief22
February 6th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Decent class. Some kids to work with for sure if they can be developed. Not the end of the world.

Paladin1aa
February 6th, 2019, 09:50 PM
Not as I see it. For sure the WVU grad transfer is legit. The 2 Fla. kids should help. I also expect Howard to help. But overall, it’s pretty average. Total of 18 overall from Early and NLOID. The massive walk on scam of local talent is a PR fraud. Bozo is doing another Heacock to the program. He hates recruiting and it shows.

If the Girard QB is a flop, then the program is in a world of hurt. Weak lines just kill the program entirely.

ytownchief22
February 12th, 2019, 09:12 AM
Our O-Line coach just left for an assistant O-Line job with the Patriots. Tough to find a replacement this late in the year... Yikes. Also, Justus Reed, our D-End transfer from Florida who sat out last year with a torn Achilles was granted a 6th year and will play this coming year.

Paladin1aa
February 12th, 2019, 09:24 AM
Good news and bad news. If Reed is healed, he will. Be a monster at DE. YSU stock just got elevated. Carmen Bricillo was the OL coach for nine years at YSU. He will be tough to replace. He , however joins former YSU players Derrick Rivers and Damond Patterson who are on the Patriots team. Late addition is Juco Sam Warren. He may help. Word is Bozo is holding 2-3 schollies for possible FBS transfers after spring ball. He still needs help and now needs an important coach too.

The Yo Show
February 13th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Well this is great scheduling news! The steel tire is back! YSU plays Akron to start the 2020 season!

Paladin1aa
February 13th, 2019, 07:20 PM
Yes, that is a great game for locals. However, YSU remains a shell of itself from poor recruiting. If Butler can beat them, Akron may be a weak I-A, but still better than a non schollie team. New coach there may make a difference and he is an Ohio guy. YSU football needs a serious new HC or learn to just shut up and take their butt kickings.

Paladin1aa
February 14th, 2019, 11:39 AM
YSU has added a 2020 scheduled game with nearby 1-A Akron. Great game for local fans. YSU holds an edge over the Zits, 19-14-2.

And in other news, there may be problems in contract negotiations with Bozo. A proposed 3 year extension is in limbo with no agreement. No details on the dispute, but it’s well known that YSU was embarrassed by the rapist recruit, Bozos failure to handle PR and media duties and the dislike he has fostered among YSU employees. Seems they are overlooking his poor record, but, hey, he is a Cardinal Mooney guy, lol.

Penguin Nation
February 15th, 2019, 08:44 AM
I've always favored Scumbag U playing at Akron or Can't even w/o a return game....but in addition to a P5 game. Samford and Akron do not replace a P5 game either in recruiting cred, fan interest, and definitely not in terms of revenue. You'd need two MACs to equal P5 revenue....which I'd be fine with....and would be much, much better than the farce OOC schedule we've had playing partial and non-scholly 1AAA clubs.

Ideally, Scum U would've played these MAC games when YSU was stronger, like under the Wolf. Those games could've been used to establish YSU as the dominant NEO FB team. My suspicion is Akron sees the YSU FB program's deterioration under Bozo, and is now much less fearful to play the unhinged, unstable, and incompetent HC.

The loss of P5 revenue is scandalous, another example of AD malpractice, and worthy of a Vindy investigation....but they are propaganda....not news.

As far as Bozo's contract goes, my suspicion is it will contain a raise, and therefore the last NE payment must be received before the contract is signed...which likely is late Feb or even early March. No better way for YSU to declare they approve of and reward recruiting rapists than to not only not fire the rapist-recruiting HC, but extend his contract and also give him a raise.

Paladin1aa
February 15th, 2019, 01:28 PM
PN, you are on to something. The rumor is Tressel was involved in getting this game done. But Akron has to be licking their chops to play YSU now that the roster is poor, giving them an edge in a game. Add to that the new coach did very , very well with his first recruit class at Akron. Add another good class and Akron will be a heavy favorite over YSU. Add in a big turnout for ticket sales, giving them a great attendance boost coupled with a small paycheck to YSU makes this a winning deal for them. While this is great for NEO, it will hurt the YSU program overall. Poor coach, poor recruiting, losing record, declining home attendance and now boosting recruiting for Akron with a game with a weak YSU program. The lost decade continues.

Paladin1aa
February 15th, 2019, 09:20 PM
News reports Akron game paycheck is $300k. Short bus ride and some brown bags, lol.

Paladin1aa
February 17th, 2019, 09:05 PM
Richard McNutt was the co-DC and has just been fired. Seems there is a Pelini brother on the staff now who was a former DC. Wonder who they will replace the open position with ?

Classic YSU.

Paladin1aa
February 19th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Former Ohio St. and Pitt Oline coach John Peterson will coach YSU Oline. Major plus.

ytownchief22
February 19th, 2019, 10:37 PM
Former Ohio St. and Pitt Oline coach John Peterson will coach YSU Oline. Major plus.

Very good pickup. His son is on staff as an undergrad assistant currently.

ytownchief22
February 21st, 2019, 10:06 PM
DJ Gomes has been hired to coach DB's. Played at Nebraska for Bo and Carl.

Was a 5th round NFL draft pick and played 3 years in the league before heading into coaching.

Paladin1aa
February 26th, 2019, 11:08 AM
YSU opened Spring practice on Monday. DE Reed is still in rehab. The eyes are on early Frosh enrollee QB Waid because QB is a weak position. Practice is inside at the WATTs facility on campus.

Paladin1aa
February 27th, 2019, 07:32 AM
YSU is adding women’s lacrosse and starting men’s swimming and diving back up again bringing total sports to 20. Football will need to make more money to support more sports.

Penguin Nation
February 27th, 2019, 05:52 PM
YSU is adding women’s lacrosse and starting men’s swimming and diving back up again bringing total sports to 20. Football will need to make more money to support more sports.

I've not reviewed YSU's specific budget #s lately (I used to), but the revenue generation from alleged "revenue-generating sports" must be down and set to decline much further w/ loss of money game revenue. Meanwhile, leaky roofs due to neglected facilities have delayed a WBB game.

I get schollies are Universities writing checks to themselves, and you can slightly increase enrollment by luring student-athletes with schollies, but I'm not seeing the logic in adding non-revenue sports destined to receive very little interest. Probably giving the AD way too much credit, but maybe there is preparation for conference realignment? Even that doesn't add up as the added sports don't fit any particular conference or potential conference.

Paladin1aa
February 27th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Wasn’t going to say much, but this smells funny. YSU, like most schools ,has financial problems. Neither new sport will bring in much revenue but instead will increase athletic dept costs. I am aware that Tressel has bonuses in his contract for increasing enrollment. Men’s swimming has local H.S.s with swimming teams which will open up more of the local incest for giving aid to local athletes. Lacrosse not so much, but would help with Title IX. Hard to say what the real motivation is.

It for sure remains that attendance is down for football and is poor for MBB and WBB. No reason to think it’s going to improve. The HL does have swimming but not lacrosse. 20-25 athletes for each sport and a HC with maybe 2 assists. It’s a head scratcher.

ST_Lawson
February 28th, 2019, 08:12 AM
...more of the local incest...

Now, I know YSU has had issues in the past with specific athletes having legal problems, but they probably shouldn't be actively pursuing that crowd.

#rolltide

SCPALADIN
March 3rd, 2019, 08:18 PM
Finally YSU adds another WR and a Slot. Good athletes but still have not done enough to address OL. Charleston at the Slot got votes for Ohio Mr. Football after scoring 51 TDs his senior year. The WR lead his team to a Pa. state title.

Looking forward to seeing what CJ can do at the next level...easily the best athlete to come out of my HS.

Paladin1aa
March 4th, 2019, 12:53 PM
Charleston will redshirt. I project Payne, a Florida player to start at Slot. The big picture has true Frosh Waid upsetting Mays, a senior at QB. I expect they will alternate both early until the MVFC starts and then make Waid the permanent starter. At RB, Turner gets the nod to start. All eyes should be on the OL because the season is on the line there with so much weakness. Unless some transfers come in, the OL is the Achilles heal. Early projection is for another losing season and maybe an at best 6-6 year.

Penguin Nation
March 5th, 2019, 08:43 AM
My 0.02 re a Spring game.

Passing on having a Spring game is insanity. It's an opportunity to build hype, brand loyalty, possibly make $$, and give the new players an opportunity to perform in front of a crowd at their new home field.

Also, 6-6 with no P5 game, 3 OOC cupcakes, a modest FCS opponent would be a disastrous season. With such a straw man schedule they gotta at least be 7-5 or 8-4...if not...Bozo shouldn't be able to find another job 25 miles from any FB stadium.

Penguin Nation
March 5th, 2019, 09:35 AM
Also, is there any association between the AD and Strollo Associates who just received a $10M contract from scum U?

Paladin1aa
March 5th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Have no idea about Strollo Associates, PN.

I agree no Spring game makes no sense, but they appear to be having a light spring. That’s because they have no depth, are holding out some recovering injured players and have a large number of walk ons that don’t add much to the program. Can’t afford injuries.

I bounced back and forth last preseason between picking them to go 6-5 and 5-6, settling on 6-5 with them winning a toss up game with WIU ( they lost) which would have matched my 5-6 outlook but then they get beat by Butler to finish 4-7. That’s the worst I’ve been off in a long time.

They aren’t improved. Still will be weak at OT and have new starters at C and OG but should have a winner in the grad WVU transfer C. Also I expect they will eventually start a true Frosh at QB which won’t be a strong position and have new RB behind a weak line. They have the 3 cupcake games plus Samford which I view as a Toss up now. But it’s on the road with few YSU fans traveling and a new weak team facing Samford who will have a big fan following with a decent team.Add in the MVFC and I don’t see YSU being highly rated, meaning they will probably play at sub .500. 6-6 may be possible, but until I see what the league teams look like, I’ll hold off on a season pick. Let’s just say YSU isn’t going to be very good again.

BTW, the Nebraska checks of $128k a month have run out for Bozo and still no “new” contract extension. The fine print is getting a workout. The deal is not yet done,lol. They should let the clown go. He is nothing but trouble and a poor HC.

Paladin1aa
March 10th, 2019, 09:53 AM
It’s March 10 and still no contract for Bozo. His old pact expired Feb. 28 which coincides with the Husker money expiring. My spies say there is more going on here that isn’t well known. Language is key if they plan to keep a known a-hole like Bozo. There is also the issue of Bozos brother being the HC in waiting.

Carl Pelini made $165k at BGSU. He makes $102k at YSU, taking a $63k haircut. There is NO contract language saying he is the next HC. The brothers Pelini maybe from Ytown, but there isn’t a clear path for both to remain here. Count Tressel as one who doesn’t like to be leveraged. This drama is far from over.

It will be interesting to see what final language is agreed to (if ever).

The Yo Show
March 10th, 2019, 11:44 AM
Well if they don't get an agreement they better start looking for a new head coach now.

Penguin Nation
March 11th, 2019, 08:41 AM
http://www.tribtoday.com/sports/local-sports/2019/02/pelini%E2%80%88contract-extension-with-ysu-is-in-the-works/

http://www.wfmj.com/story/39737853/pelini-and-ysu-on-same-page-for-new-contract

The University feeds the local media obvious garbage and the media delivers to the masses w/o raising an eyebrow. An example:

"Pelini's original contract expires at the end of February and Strollo feels they'll begin to talk sometime next month."

That makes absolutely zero sense. If there's no interim contract, then Bozo isn't even a YSU employee currently. Obvi not the "mere formality" that YSU fed the media. Is he recruiting?

This reinforces the loser's mentality that the AD has always had. It's what kept Heacock and Slocum there way too long. He accepts failure, and appears to surrender leverage in negotiations. Bozo (a proven failure and embarrassment) should have near zero leverage in these negotiations. And yet...it appears the AD is his b.

Paladin1aa
March 13th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Interesting story in Cleveland.com indicates that the athletic cost gap continues to grow at YSU. Using latest numbers from 2017-18 shows YSUs athletics costs at $15.9 million. Meanwhile YSU students are charged fees to produce $10.9 million in subsidies to cover those costs, working out to a charge of $1028 per student. That makes the students paying 69% of athletic costs. YSUs income has topped out at $5 million in athletic revenue, reflecting the awful attendance at the revenue sports. And now they are adding 2 more non-revenue sports. Wow !

For an AD as incompetent as Strollo , you’d think as a bean counter by education , he would know better. lol.

With another poor season coming up in football, I can hear the students screaming about increases in tuition and fees. Only Youngstown, lol.

Paladin1aa
March 13th, 2019, 11:24 AM
My god it’s even worse than I thought. Breaking down the NCAA data, YSU only brought in $560,787 in total ticket sales for all sports. That’s from a $15.9 million program. Their other revenues came from NCAA money, league contributions, Penguin Club and other sources. Then add in the $10.9 million from the students.

A day of reckoning coming.

Penguin Nation
March 14th, 2019, 09:32 AM
https://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/2019/03/how-youngstown-state-raised-and-spent-money-on-sports-in-2017-2018.html

For every $1 raised in ticket revenue (I assume that also includes loge revenue), YSU confiscates $21 from the students for athletic spending. The knucklehead AD fills the OOC schedule with cupcakes games, were told, to maintain ticket and loge revenue. Strollo is as good with numbers as Pellini is with recruiting ethics.

These numbers are reflective of the 2017-18 season...where YSU received P5 game revenue. Subtract $200k (assuming a MAC game) to $500k (no MAC like 2019) from the future budgets.

Unbelievable incompetence.

Paladin1aa
March 19th, 2019, 10:02 AM
Finally there is an extension for Pelini. It’s a 3 year deal but Pelini says he doesn’t know what the terms are. lol Here’s a little help - it’s for the same $214k, has language that keeps a short leash on an a-hole like Pelini and there is NO language on his brother being the successor HC. In short, YSU has him by the short hairs. The relationship is strained , to say the least. Bozo isnt As loved as he thinks.

In other news, the great QB mystery continues. News stories say senior Mays is still the leader, but he is recovering from surgery and doing light work. He has no chance of being the season long starter, IMO. The current “starter” is RS Soph Craycraft who also has no chance at being the full season starter. Tied for “backups” are RS Frosh Cunningham and true Frosh Waid, both of which are the real threats to be the season long starter. My money is still on Waid. YSU will use the early weenie games to use as a “casting couch” for the real starter by MVFC time. The OL is still a disaster area.

RootinFerDukes
March 19th, 2019, 10:14 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA Talk about a chummy relationship between Tressel and Bo. You all won't win the Valley while he's in town.

Paladin1aa
March 22nd, 2019, 07:17 AM
YSU has added future FBS teams to the schedule-

2020 Akron
2021 Michigan St.
2022 Kentucky
2026 Kentucky
2027 Maryland

all road trips

Paladin1aa
March 22nd, 2019, 05:35 PM
YSU held its Pro Day for the NFL. Besides several member of the football team who excelled at the drills, two former area H.S. Football stars who ran track at YSU wowed the scouts . Zallow from Warren JFK ran a 4.3 /40 and Harden from Girard ran a 4.37 / 40. Both showed great hands as receivers catching lots of passes and excelled at drills and skills. Both could opt for a 5th year to play football (possible) or declare for the NFL draft. Both led YSU to the Horizon League indoor and outdoor track championships.

Paladin1aa
March 28th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Today’s Vindy carries a story on the OL. Interesting but not accurate. My projections on the starting OL is -

Jones, the incoming grad WVU transfer becomes the starting C. Zinni, the current starter at C becomes the starting RG ( who played several games last year at G)as well as the back up C. New Juco Velez becomes the starting LG. Becker, who started 9 games at LT last year returns, even though he is better suited for G. At RT , Robinson , who started 2 games at RT starts there. The first back up is Wilson who will play G and T. And that’s it. Too many projects that aren’t ready (or never will be) to project beyond those 6. That gives them 3 seniors, 1 Jr. and one Soph as starters and a Sr. backup. I’d still look for either more Jucos or transfer OL coming if they can find them. Still a weak spot.

Paladin1aa
March 30th, 2019, 06:06 PM
YSU played their Spring game today indoors at the WATTs. The O scored 5 TDs while the D has 6 sacks and 3 pass breakups. Both true Frosh QB Waid and RS Soph Craycraft looked sharp. Waid tossed a 65 yard bomb for a TD and Craycraft threw a 33 yd score. YSU showed a lot of runs by the QBs as they will make it a dual threat O this fall. Not real impressed at this point. It was a workout and nothing more. They will face better competition in games this fall than the internal format a weak team can offer itself in a scrimmage.

They also got word from the NCAA that DE Reed is granted 2 more years eligibility coming off injury last year. That is good news as he is very good, possibly draftable.

Still looking for either more Jucos or transfers coming. Areas of need - OL, LB, S.

ytownchief22
March 30th, 2019, 08:23 PM
Transfers are coming in. Thought Joe and Mark looked good throwing and running today. WR and O-Line worry me a bit but decent amount of starters were out so we'll see what happens once fall camp comes.

Paladin1aa
April 1st, 2019, 01:19 PM
Bozo has officially gone nuts. That or there is more negative language in his extension contract that may leave YSU able to fire hm with minimal cost. Bozo is proclaiming that their goals this season are 1.) win the MVFC and 2.) win the National Championship and anything less will be a failure. He sounds high on the coming season. Spring practice will do that to you when you are coming off a 4-7 season.

Now for a reality check - at this point, pending transfers, injuries, etc, this is how YSU projects next season - YSU should be favored in home games with Howard, Duquesne, and Robert Morris. They should be favored on the road at SIU. However, they will be underdogs at home with SDSU, NDSU, Ill St. and on the road at Indiana St. and UNI. Now add in toss up games on the road with Samford at neutral site, home with WIU and on road with USD. I don’t see either “ goal “ as attainable now given their personnel weaknesses on OL, new QB and soft spots at a few other positions.

They could easily have another losing season and struggle to .500 at 6-6. They still need a lot of help.

Paladin1aa
April 9th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Not much to report on the Eastside stands work underway. New broadcast booths should be a major improvement. I chuckle as the cheerleader board are just now finding out fan costs are going up,lol.

I can tell you what is going down in the Fall , lol. Increase fan cost and poor team equals lower attendance.

Book it !

Paladin1aa
April 16th, 2019, 07:23 PM
Interesting. YSU adds 3 players - two Jucos and a transfer. Two are 300 lbs OL and a TE who formerly was an OG. Have to see how this works out. However, it appears two only have one year of eligibility left while another has 2 years. This might be a desperate stretch .

Redbird 4th & short
April 17th, 2019, 05:09 PM
YSU played their Spring game today indoors at the WATTs. The O scored 5 TDs while the D has 6 sacks and 3 pass breakups. Both true Frosh QB Waid and RS Soph Craycraft looked sharp. Waid tossed a 65 yard bomb for a TD and Craycraft threw a 33 yd score. YSU showed a lot of runs by the QBs as they will make it a dual threat O this fall. Not real impressed at this point. It was a workout and nothing more. They will face better competition in games this fall than the internal format a weak team can offer itself in a scrimmage.

They also got word from the NCAA that DE Reed is granted 2 more years eligibility coming off injury last year. That is good news as he is very good, possibly draftable.

Still looking for either more Jucos or transfers coming. Areas of need - OL, LB, S.
at least they played it this year .... didn't they cancel last year due to rain, but in fact due to injuries and limited available players ?

Paladin1aa
April 18th, 2019, 07:50 AM
Well, sort of they played it. Two hand touch. Many starters were held out and did not play. It’s safe to say that the staff is fearful of losing anyone as they are so thin and underdeveloped that it’s almost embarrassing. Last years excuse was just that, an excuse as the fans were outraged there was no game. This year’s, played indoors, was not well attended and was little more than a light scrimmage. The charade continues.

Paladin1aa
April 28th, 2019, 05:33 PM
YSU Center Vitas Hrynkienwicz is joining the NFL L .A .Rams as an UDFA. 315 lb. former All MVFC player. Good luck to Vitas.

That contract should keep him in popcorn,lol

Paladin1aa
April 29th, 2019, 03:02 PM
OL Gavin Wiggins has been invited to both the Raiders and Bills rookie camps. Primarily an OG, he might be able to play other positions.

Paladin1aa
May 7th, 2019, 11:25 AM
The 2022 OOC is now set with home games with Duquesne and Dayton and a road money game at Kentucky.

ytownchief22
May 18th, 2019, 08:48 AM
Top WR Zach Farrar has left the program as a grad transfer. Visiting SEC schools..

Paladin1aa
May 18th, 2019, 07:31 PM
He is going to Auburn. Two years of eligibility left. The curse of the Pelinis rolls along. Poor AD and dumb fan base made for each other.

Paladin1aa
May 21st, 2019, 05:47 PM
The hits keep coming - starting DT Ragland arrested for sexual assault. The party continues.

clenz
May 21st, 2019, 05:57 PM
Precedent at YSU has been set - sexual assault related crimes are not able to be used to hold players off the field.

Paladin1aa
May 21st, 2019, 06:07 PM
Ragland has used up his eligibility. Now just a shining example of now former Bozo players. Another great PR coup. The charge was not assault I’m told, but gross sexual imposition.

Redbird 4th & short
May 21st, 2019, 06:21 PM
The hits keep coming - starting DT Ragland arrested for sexual assault. The party continues.

grabbed a woman's breast ... #metoo ...#YSUhasnotcorneredmarketonsexualassaults

easy to pile on YSU ... but this sh-t happens in a lot of places .. college and pro sports, politics (too many to count, many go unreported under settlement agreements .. unless you're Al Franken), newsrooms (Matt Lauer, Roger Ailes), hollywood, corporations.

Paladin1aa
May 21st, 2019, 07:22 PM
Don’t forget Trumpkins, lol. Grab em by the pus-y

Howlingyote
May 21st, 2019, 08:48 PM
Don’t forget Trumpkins, lol. Grab em by the pus-y

You misspelled Clinton

Penguin Nation
May 22nd, 2019, 10:23 AM
I can’t name another D1 program that actively recruited (and then rerecruited) a convicted rapist. I can name a D3 program (the one that recruited the co-gang rapist). Some schools have specific policies forbidding recruiting a student-athlete with a history of sexual assault. Scumbag U deserves every bit of scorn thrown their direction.

I wondered about the program’s culture that Scum U had with Bo and his rapist. Seems that a few glimpses into that culture are now apparent.

Redbird 4th & short
May 22nd, 2019, 01:17 PM
I can’t name another D1 program that actively recruited (and then rerecruited) a convicted rapist. I can name a D3 program (the one that recruited the co-gang rapist). Some schools have specific policies forbidding recruiting a student-athlete with a history of sexual assault. Scumbag U deserves every bit of scorn thrown their direction.

I wondered about the program’s culture that Scum U had with Bo and his rapist. Seems that a few glimpses into that culture are now apparent.
maybe so, but is there a difference between "hiring" someone with sexual assault history and "retaining" someone with sexual assalut history, in terms of wht each does to implicitly condone/dismiss its gravity ?

I don't see a big difference ... other than the hire could have been prevented. But the latter is far more a pervasive (i.e. widespread) problem, and usually involves an effort to cover it up it some way. So I see the latter as the bigger problem and much more important to address.

Penguin Nation
May 22nd, 2019, 01:51 PM
maybe so, but is there a difference between "hiring" someone with sexual assault history and "retaining" someone with sexual assalut history, in terms of wht each does to implicitly condone/dismiss its gravity ?

I don't see a big difference ... other than the hire could have been prevented. But the latter is far more a pervasive (i.e. widespread) problem, and usually involves an effort to cover it up it some way. So I see the latter as the bigger problem and much more important to address.

Absolutely yes. Obvi both are ethically terrible but at least try to shield your program from sexual predators from entering it, and not welcome them in. Again, Scum U has the sole D1 distinction of literally recruiting an infamous convicted rapist. I agree that sexual assault is a major concern and is widespread, but that underscores why you don't recruit these predators.

Redbird 4th & short
May 22nd, 2019, 02:58 PM
Absolutely yes. Obvi both are ethically terrible but at least try to shield your program from sexual predators from entering it, and not welcome them in. Again, Scum U has the sole D1 distinction of literally recruiting an infamous convicted rapist. I agree that sexual assault is a major concern and is widespread, but that underscores why you don't recruit these predators.
I realize this is parsing things a bit much ... but counterpoint would be, I think when any institution participates in covering up these incidents, that is what makes it worse. YSU recruited a known rapist .. everyone knew the history, who the kid was ... this somewhat mitgates the future risk. When institutions bend over backwards to hide and protect the perpetrator to avoid bad publicity as an institution (i.e. I forgot to mention the catholic church), this to me is far worse an offense, then YSU compromising their principles to give a known felon a 2nd chance .... both bad, but I find the cover up aspect makes it far more reprehensible as far as the institutions role ... because it will almost always continue to happen.

Sorry for over-parsing this.

Penguin Nation
June 7th, 2019, 12:31 PM
I know it's only June but there is zero buzz about the upcoming season. Did the Butler loss, the 4-7 season, and the worst OOC schedule in school history finally kill the program? Scum U is nowhere on any preseason top 25, something that was once assumed, and no one even mentions it. Is the Scum U program officially dead?

- - - Updated - - -

I know it's only June but there is zero buzz about the upcoming season. Did the Butler loss, the 4-7 season, and the worst OOC schedule in school history finally kill the program? Scum U is nowhere on any preseason top 25, something that was once assumed, and no one even mentions it. Is the Scum U program officially dead?

Paladin1aa
June 7th, 2019, 05:05 PM
YSU adds another recruit. Tiquest Terry, a 3 Star Slot WR signs on after decommitting from Virginia. Also had offers from Wake Forrest, East Carolina and Temple. Nice player but not a position of need.

Paladin1aa
June 26th, 2019, 08:57 AM
YSU adds another transfer - CB Jayden Patterson from Western Ky. 6’ , 185 RFr.

Paladin1aa
June 26th, 2019, 04:28 PM
YSU gets a commit from Gage Salyers , a 6’1, 195 QB/S from Ironton ,Ohio in their 2020 class. Also had offers from Ohio Univ. , Eastern Ky. and Pitt.

Penguin Nation
June 29th, 2019, 09:39 AM
The closing of Ytown's only newspaper at the beginning of the season can't help Scumbag U. It was the Vindy that covered up Ticketgate, initially Rapistgate, avoided obvious negative stories like the incompetence of Strollo, Slocum and Pelini, and would post pics making tiny crowds look big. The Vindy, regarding sports anyway, was Scumbag U's lapdog.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/06/the-vindicator-youngstowns-daily-newspaper-will-close-after-150-years.html (https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/06/the-vindicator-youngstowns-daily-newspaper-will-close-after-150-years.html)

Paladin1aa
June 29th, 2019, 06:38 PM
The area still has the nearby Warren Tribune Chronicle. They actually provide better YSU coverage than the Vindy often did. However, several writers there are also butt kissers of YSU. While they will sometimes take on YSU exposing the problems, it isn’t often enough. But if YSU wants local coverage, they will have to play some ball with the Trib. Might get interesting.

Paladin1aa
July 5th, 2019, 07:59 PM
More 2020 commits-

Evan Yockey, 6’6, 330. OL, Lakota East

Hunter Allen, 6’5, 225, DL/TE, Canal Winchester

Paladin1aa
July 11th, 2019, 07:37 AM
YSU adds a Vanderbilt transfer, Zaire Jones, 6’1, 190 S. Two years eligibility left.

Paladin1aa
July 18th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Schedule update - YSU adds a game at Michigan St. in 2025. They already have a game at MSU in 2021 as well.