PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the Lambert Cup? Princeton, Maine or Colgate???

Sader87
December 7th, 2018, 10:58 PM
Interesting vote this year.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2018, 11:00 PM
Unless Colgate beats NDSU Maine deserves it. Outright CAA Champs and Semifinalist.

Sader87
December 7th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Yale beat Maine...Princeton beat Yale...just sayin

maine612
December 7th, 2018, 11:05 PM
What is the Lambert Cup? Sorry!

melloware13
December 7th, 2018, 11:15 PM
Princeton is favorite. Maine should if they win in Frisco. Colgate should if they win tomorrow (unless Maine wins it)

Ivytalk
December 8th, 2018, 06:04 AM
Yale beat Maine...Princeton beat Yale...just sayin
Which leaves...Colgate or Princeton? I think it will come down to those two. Colgate has a slight edge in my mind.

A Colgate-Princeton game this year would have been a donnybrook. Kind of like Princeton-Dartmouth, with a defensive focus.

mainejeff
December 8th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Which leaves...Colgate or Princeton? I think it will come down to those two. Colgate has a slight edge in my mind.

A Colgate-Princeton game this year would have been a donnybrook. Kind of like Princeton-Dartmouth, with a defensive focus.

Are we choosing them right now or after the season is over?

MR. CHICKEN
December 8th, 2018, 09:05 AM
What is the Lambert Cup? Sorry!

.....AWARD GIVEN....TA BEST TEAM IN DUH EAST......FCS/D-II/D-III........DELAWARE....RACKED UP...LOTTAH...DEM.....BRAWK!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2018, 10:11 AM
If Colgate beats NDSU, it's a tough call, otherwise, Princeton.

Pard4Life
December 8th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Wow great question... to be determined! I was tempted to say Princeton on 11/17 but cannot reward a team that stops playing.

uni88
December 8th, 2018, 11:41 AM
.....AWARD GIVEN....TA BEST TEAM IN DUH EAST......FCS/D-II/D-III........DELAWARE....RACKED UP...LOTTAH...DEM.....BRAWK!So is it a consolation prize or a participation trophy?

Does it really matter? Should we care?

It would seem to be significantly less relevant then the FCS playoffs.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Little Stevie
December 8th, 2018, 01:56 PM
It is an important trophy.
means best team in CAA/Ivy/NEC/Patriot (indies,if exist). 40+ teams?
All four conf. winners had great years.
I would say at this point it is Maine or Princeton.

maine612
December 8th, 2018, 02:04 PM
When do they announce it? Do these current games matter or is a regular year award. If Maine goes to title game I would imagine it would be hard to give it to Princeton.

uni88
December 8th, 2018, 02:34 PM
I would say at this point it is Maine or Princeton.I was poking fun at Sadist87. They don't think the FCS playoffs are important but think this trophy is? It might be important to a fraction of the country but has little to no relevance nationally.

PeacockRaider
December 8th, 2018, 02:35 PM
If Colgate beats NDSU, it's a tough call, otherwise, Princeton.

Moot point now but you think it would of been a tough call if Gate knocked off the National Champions of 6 of the last 7 years? I think it would be a no brainer if that would of happened.

Side note would of loved to seen a Colgate Princeton game this year at Powers field

POD Knows
December 8th, 2018, 06:39 PM
I had honestly never heard of this "award" until this thread.

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2018, 06:49 PM
.....AWARD GIVEN....TA BEST TEAM IN DUH EAST......FCS/D-II/D-III........DELAWARE....RACKED UP...LOTTAH...DEM.....BRAWK!

Best of the Least?

cx500d
December 8th, 2018, 06:57 PM
It’s got to be Maine. Princeton didn’t get as far into the playoffs of the Football Championship Subdivision as Maine did.

MTfan4life
December 8th, 2018, 07:00 PM
Princeton, by far, in my opinion, unless if Maine wins the title.

UpstateBison
December 8th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Princeton, by far, in my opinion, unless if Maine wins the title.

Seriously Clark?

Bisonator
December 8th, 2018, 07:28 PM
I had honestly never heard of this "award" until this thread.
Me either.

So if NDSU beats Maine in the championship game does NDSU win this too? I mean they would have beat Colgate and Maine and since we all know what pussy's Princeton is .........xcoffeex

LehighU11
December 8th, 2018, 07:40 PM
So if NDSU beats Maine in the championship game does NDSU win this too?

Nah, this is only for the elitist universities in the East.

Sader87
December 8th, 2018, 07:40 PM
There's a Lambert Trophy (as opposed to Cup) as well for FBS programs.

It was a lot more relevant/prestigious before the FBS schools joined various conferences in the 1980s and 1990s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert-Meadowlands_Trophy

Rjones61
December 8th, 2018, 08:02 PM

So if EASTERN washington beats Maine, do we EASTERN win this too? xcoolxxlolx

ngineer
December 8th, 2018, 09:36 PM
I saw Princeton and they were impressive. Maine's loss to Yale is a problem since Yale lost to Princeton. Maine's success in the playoffs certainly deserves consideration, but I don't know if the Committee will view their win over Weber enough. Now, if Maine goes on to Frisco, then, I think the calculus changes and Princeton pays the price for not being in the NCAA playoffs.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2018, 09:10 AM

It was a lot more relevant/prestigious before the FBS schools joined various conferences in the 1980s and 1990s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert-Meadowlands_TrophyHey, a while back I got blasted for citing that Virginia football teams where NE or Eastern teams, I guess I was right, no apologies needed.

PAllen
December 9th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Hey, a while back I got blasted for citing that Virginia football teams where NE or Eastern teams, I guess I was right, no apologies needed.

Only considered if they play the majority (or may be a certain number, I don't remember the exact requirement) of their games against NE teams.

Prime Power
December 9th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Is there a cup or trophy like this in most regions of country or is the Lambert Cup the only of its kind? Serious question as I have never heard of it or anything like it elsewhere.

cx500d
December 9th, 2018, 01:11 PM

NDSU is east of the Missouri River

cx500d
December 9th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Hey, a while back I got blasted for citing that Virginia football teams where NE or Eastern teams, I guess I was right, no apologies needed.

Where is citdog when you need him to educate ignorant people about the war of northern aggression....You are lumping Virginia in with the Yankee states? ****show to commence....

Herder
December 9th, 2018, 03:02 PM

Is it kinda like the HBCU National Championship for colleges in the NE?

KPSUL
December 9th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Is it kinda like the HBCU National Championship for colleges in the NE?

What do you think? The HBCU Championship is a game between two conference champions. The Lambert Cup is a regional trophy awarded by voting. Is the Lambert Cup subjective, superfluous and outdate? Yeah, maybe.

DFW HOYA
December 9th, 2018, 04:17 PM
What do you think? The HBCU Championship is a game between two conference champions. The Lambert Cup is a regional trophy awarded by voting. Is the Lambert Cup subjective, superfluous and outdate? Yeah, maybe.

The Celebration Bowl and the "HBCU Championship" was not always the same. For many years, the nominative HBCU champion was by vote.

KPSUL
December 9th, 2018, 04:52 PM
The Celebration Bowl and the "HBCU Championship" was not always the same. For many years, the nominative HBCU champion was by vote.
OK, so while the roots are similar, the two are now very different.

NY Crusader 2010
December 9th, 2018, 05:39 PM
As far as body of work and season accomplishments (which may be unfinished), my opinion is that Maine has the best resume. They were outright CAA champs, secured an FBS win and will be playing in a national semifinal game.

However, unless they get to Frisco and win, I find it tough to give it to them when you compare them to Colgate AND Princeton.

Obviously Princeton won the Ivy League championship with a DOMINANT undefeated 10-0 season. Best Ivy team since league declassified to I-AA IMO. Meanwhile Maine lost to the fourth place team in the Ivy.

Maine also lost to William & Mary this year. William & Mary got shut out by Colgate 23-0.

Therefore, my gut instinct is to say Princeton deserves the Lambert Cup at the moment with Colgate a close second. Obviously, if Maine wins the FCS National Championship against XDSU, they win hands-down.

uni88
December 9th, 2018, 06:59 PM
NDSU is east of the Missouri RiverTo the elitists the Appalachians are the dividing line.

melloware13
December 9th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Only considered if they play the majority (or may be a certain number, I don't remember the exact requirement) of their games against NE teams.
The official definition of the region is (from SW to NE): Virginia, West Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine. Any team from those states (+DC) is eligible no matter who they play, i.e. Marist's PFL schedule is almost exclusively not-East. Also, for conferences that have more than half of their teams in the region, the whole conference is eligible as long as 50% of their games are "Eastern". This would make Elon eligible as long as half of their games are against "East" teams, and they have at least 8 scheduled each year in CAA play (that rule seems to have been written more for the Big East though).

Currently Lambert-eligible FCS Schools:
- Big South: Monmouth
- CAA: Albany, Delaware, Elon, James Madison, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Richmond, Stony Brook, Towson, Villanova, William & Mary
- Independent: Hampton
- Ivy: Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, Yale
- MEAC: Delaware State, Howard, Morgan State, Norfolk State
- NEC: Bryant, Central Connecticut, Duquesne, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, St. Francis, Wagner
- Patriot: Bucknell, Colgate, Fordham, Georgetown, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Lehigh
- Pioneer: Marist
- Southern: VMI

PAllen
December 9th, 2018, 10:23 PM
The official definition of the region is (from SW to NE): Virginia, West Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine. Any team from those states (+DC) is eligible no matter who they play, i.e. Marist's PFL schedule is almost exclusively not-East. Also, for conferences that have more than half of their teams in the region, the whole conference is eligible as long as 50% of their games are "Eastern". This would make Elon eligible as long as half of their games are against "East" teams, and they have at least 8 scheduled each year in CAA play (that rule seems to have been written more for the Big East though).

- CAA: Albany, Delaware, Elon, James Madison, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Richmond, Stony Brook, Towson, Villanova, William & Mary
- NEC: Bryant, Central Connecticut, Duquesne, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, St. Francis, Wagner
- Patriot: Bucknell, Colgate, Fordham, Georgetown, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Lehigh

I thought I remembered it being that the schools in Maryland and Virginia were only eligible if they played a bunch of folks from PA north. Did they change the criteria in the last 15 years? Oh well, glad to be corrected with the facts.

Go...gate
December 9th, 2018, 10:57 PM
Moot point now but you think it would of been a tough call if Gate knocked off the National Champions of 6 of the last 7 years? I think it would be a no brainer if that would of happened.

Side note would of loved to seen a Colgate Princeton game this year at Powers Field

Yes. Thanks again, Tigers.

Go...gate
December 9th, 2018, 11:00 PM
Maine should get the Lambert Cup.

cx500d
December 9th, 2018, 11:05 PM

Morgan State - they beat the #1 team in FCS

cx500d
December 9th, 2018, 11:06 PM
Maine should get the Lambert Cup.

Well, if Morgan State doesn't get it, I agree it should be Maine.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 10th, 2018, 12:35 AM
Maine managed 14 points against Yale. Princeton hung 59 on that same Yale team. No way Maine deserves to win the Lambert Cup over Princeton, full stop.

Colgate had a great season, but they didn't play as tough a schedule as Maine or Princeton.

JSUSoutherner
December 10th, 2018, 03:49 AM
Maine managed 14 points against Yale. Princeton hung 59 on that same Yale team. No way Maine deserves to win the Lambert Cup over Princeton, full stop.

Colgate had a great season, but they didn't play as tough a schedule as Maine or Princeton.

Really? Maine spent the past two weeks taking JSU to the woodshed and beating the #2 ranked team in the nation.

MR. CHICKEN
December 10th, 2018, 06:58 AM

......HOW OUTDATED.....xconfusedx..................TRADITION ...........LIKE YER BIRTHDAY......O'....CHRISTMAS.......xsighx.....BRA WK!

kalm
December 10th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Cute!

KPSUL
December 10th, 2018, 09:22 AM
......HOW OUTDATED.....xconfusedx..................TRADITION ...........LIKE YER BIRTHDAY......O'....CHRISTMAS.......xsighx.....BRA WK!

I'm too old to want any more birthdays, and so much commercial hype surrounds Christmas that it isn't fun anymore. So yeah, like my birthday, the Lambert is outdated and an award few people care much about. It's a voting award at a time college football is finally moving towards deciding on the filed, not in a ballot box. I couldn't care whether it continues or not. But my vote would be not

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 10th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Really? Maine spent the past two weeks taking JSU to the woodshed and beating the #2 ranked team in the nation.

Give it to Princeton will take the National Championship, never heard of this this cup till this year anywaysxnodx

smilo
December 10th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Maine literally played Yale with their backup QB. How is the transitive property relevant here? It's not like Princeton blew them out. If Maine gets to Frisco and plays NDSU remotely closely, I give it to them, full-stop. I've been going to Princeton games since I was 7, and the undefeated season means a lot to me, but Maine has been more impressive and resilient. If they fall short, Princeton is back in contention.

MR. CHICKEN
December 10th, 2018, 01:14 PM
I'm too old to want any more birthdays, and so much commercial hype surrounds Christmas that it isn't fun anymore. So yeah, like my birthday, the Lambert is outdated and an award few people care much about. It's a voting award at a time college football is finally moving towards deciding on the filed, not in a ballot box. I couldn't care whether it continues or not. But my vote would be not

....YOUSE DIDN'T CARE....xsmhx....BUT CARED TA COMMENT....xsighx...IT'S EASTERN SUPREMACY.....NUFFIN' NATIONAL........NEW HAMPSHIRE WON IT......2005 & 2008....DELAWARE HAS WON IT 8 TIMES IN FCS & 11 TIMES....D-II........'SPLAINS...WHAA MAYBE NO WOODIE......FO' YA............BRAWK!

DFW HOYA
December 10th, 2018, 01:23 PM
I hope it does continue-- there's continuity that is good for Eastern football.

A similar effort in Eastern basketball in the 1970's created the Widmer Cup, but it went defunct within a decade.

Sader87
December 11th, 2018, 02:58 PM
The Widmer Cup....had forgotten about that myself.

Go...gate
December 11th, 2018, 03:31 PM

I have reservations about Princeton's SOS.

Go Green
December 11th, 2018, 04:01 PM
I have reservations about Princeton's SOS.

They beat Dartmouth. 'Nuff said.

NY Crusader 2010
December 11th, 2018, 04:35 PM
I have my reservations about Princeton's SOS.

They did play in the Ivy League which was ten times better than the PL this year.

The more I think of it, WHO CARES about the Lambert Cup. Princeton should be happy with their undefeated Ivy chip, Maine is playing for a chance to go to Frisco and Colgate just ended their season against the best after notching a great round of 16 win.

cx500d
December 11th, 2018, 04:54 PM
They did play in the Ivy League which was ten times better than the PL this year.

The more I think of it, WHO CARES about the Lambert Cup. Princeton should be happy with their undefeated Ivy chip, Maine is playing for a chance to go to Frisco and Colgate just ended their season against the best after notching a great round of 16 win.

To each their own, but Colgate and Maine went the extra mile....

POD Knows
December 11th, 2018, 05:19 PM
To each their own, but Colgate and Maine went the extra mile....Actually, I think it is Maine, how could it be anybody else.

Leopard Loyalist
December 11th, 2018, 05:36 PM
I may be dreaming, but in the distant past (1970s/80s?), didn't there used to be weekly polls for the Lambert Cup (and Trophy), just like the top 20 polls? (At least in the last month or so of the season.)

RichH2
December 11th, 2018, 07:23 PM
I may be dreaming, but in the distant past (1970s/80s?), didn't there used to be weekly polls for the Lambert Cup (and Trophy), just like the top 20 polls? (At least in the last month or so of the season.)

No, you may be a Pard but ypur sanity is intact. :). Heck, they were posted each week in the NYT for both the University and College Divisions.

Bill
December 11th, 2018, 07:25 PM

LL,
You're not dreaming. This was done until recently - a quick search took me to this - http://www.ecacsports.com/news/2016/10/6/FB_1006165713.aspx?path=football
It's the Lambert weekly poll from October of 2016. I can't find a release that states when/how/why this ended, though.

NY Crusader 2010
December 11th, 2018, 07:46 PM
Actually, I think it is Maine, how could it be anybody else.

Because of records against common opponents.

Unless Maine wins the title, my prediction is whoever is in charge of giving out this award sends it in the direction of Prince-TONE, NJ

dgtw
December 11th, 2018, 07:50 PM
I remember it used to be a big deal in the ‘70s when there were a lot of independent teams in the East. Do they still do the Lambert on the FBS level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHIP72
December 11th, 2018, 07:57 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert-Meadowlands_Trophy

^^This^^

The Lambert Trophy was a significant award back in the “Eastern Independent” days when most of the DI-A programs in the Northeast and part of the Mid-Atlantic were independent. (Many of those Eastern independents, specifically Penn State, Pitt, Syracuse, West Virginia, Boston College, Rutgers, and Temple, did play all or most of the other teams listed every year in what could be viewed as a de facto conference, so the Lambert Trophy sort of functioned as a conference championship trophy.) Penn State joining the Big Ten started the process of making the Lambert Trophy irrelevant.

Incidentally, I think Princeton deserves the Lambert Cup unless Maine wins the national title.

cx500d
December 11th, 2018, 08:00 PM
^^This^^

The Lambert Trophy was a significant award back in the “Eastern Independent” days when essentially all of the DI-A programs in the Northeast and part of the Mid-Atlantic were independent. Penn State joining the Big Ten started the process of making the Lambert Trophy irrelevant.

Incidentally, I think Princeton deserves the Lambert Cup unless Maine wins the national title.

BS...Maine has as many wins as Princeton. They played at least 4 more games...

NY Crusader 2010
December 11th, 2018, 08:19 PM
I remember it used to be a big deal in the ‘70s when there were a lot of independent teams in the East. Do they still do the Lambert on the FBS level?

Yes. Actually Navy won it in 2015 for the first time since Staubach was on the Heisman trail. Dont remember who won the past couple years.

Go...gate
December 11th, 2018, 08:43 PM
I believe the Lambert Awards are now called the "Lambert/Meadowlands Trophy (FBS), Lambert Cup (FCS) and Lambert Bowl (Division III).

fc97
December 11th, 2018, 08:57 PM

Not true. Doesn’t apply to Elon, didn’t apply to Liberty and didn’t apply to Georgia Statr when they were CAA.

It’s not Those conferences, it’s schools in the east but not considered South.

NY Crusader 2010
December 11th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Not true. Doesn’t apply to Elon, didn’t apply to Liberty and didn’t apply to Georgia Statr when they were CAA.

It’s not Those conferences, it’s schools in the east but not considered South.

Even more interesting - both Miami (FL) and Cincinnati have won the Lambert TROPHY recently. Hard to believe these schools are considered "East but not South"

The Boogie Down
December 12th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Yes. Actually Navy won it in 2015 for the first time since Staubach was on the Heisman trail. Dont remember who won the past couple years.

Showing that these "people polls" are outdated, Navy actually shoulda won the Lambert Trophy in 2013 as well. At 9-4 they had a better record than 7-5 Penn State who did win it, and Navy beat their one common opponent (Indiana), while Penn State was completely destroyed by Indiana that same year.

2013 Navy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Navy_Midshipmen_football_team
2013 Penn State: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Penn_State_Nittany_Lions_football_team

At the FCS level another questionable call was made when 7-3 Penn got a share of the 2015 Lambert Cup over 9-3 Fordham. Not only did the Rams have the better record but, head-to-head, they beat Penn at Penn that year!

2015 Fordham: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Fordham_Rams_football_team
2015 Penn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Penn_Quakers_football_team

That said I hope these Lambert awards stick around. With the entire eastern region divided (both at the FBS and FCS level) into so many conferences, it's cool that there's still a regional body out there figuring out which is the best. Even if occasionally they get things a bit off.

The Boogie Down
December 12th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Even more interesting - both Miami (FL) and Cincinnati have won the Lambert TROPHY recently. Hard to believe these schools are considered "East but not South"

Not sure but I "think" that all Big East schools were considered as being part of the East at the time. Like, even the southern and midwestern Big East schools were given a special sort of dispensation to be eligible for the Lambert Trophy. Plus Cincinnati squeaked by mighty Fordham the year they won it so that probably helped sway the committee as well.

ngineer
December 12th, 2018, 12:28 PM

+1 Brawwk!

CHIP72
December 12th, 2018, 05:59 PM

+1 Brawwk!

You have to get MR. CHICKEN'S syntax correct! It is more like...

.....TRADITION.......GOOD.........+1.............. ..xnodx..xthumbsupx..xbowx........................ BRAWK!

Go Green
December 13th, 2018, 07:02 AM
You have to get MR. CHICKEN'S syntax correct! It is more like...

.....TRADITION.......GOOD.........+1.............. ..xnodx..xthumbsupx..xbowx........................ BRAWK!

Emil Faber would approve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ikaZ0i3bA

Bill
December 13th, 2018, 09:22 AM

Knowledge is Good.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2018, 11:52 AM

You are not dreaming because I used to vote in them. They started pretty late in the year.

LehighU11
December 15th, 2018, 03:09 PM
There goes any hope for Maine. Colgate had a fine season, but my guess is that Princeton will win the Lambert Cup.

KPSUL
December 15th, 2018, 04:42 PM

I've been waiting 2 years to have someone pick up on that. Congratulations! I'll never, never try to disparage a Dartmouth education ever again.

ngineer
December 15th, 2018, 06:15 PM
Lambert goes to Princeton, now.

Little Stevie
December 16th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Princeton had powerhouse team.
What makes this a great question,is all four league winners had great years:
NEC-Dukes
CAA-Maine
Ivy-Tigers
Patriot-Colgate

Healthy for FB!

DFW HOYA
December 16th, 2018, 12:05 PM
I've been waiting 2 years to have someone pick up on that. Congratulations! I'll never, never try to disparage a Dartmouth education ever again.

And as we know, the Faber College nickname was the Mongols.

https://www.brandnamepencils.com/images/brands/eberhard/efletter.jpg

Go...gate
December 16th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Princeton had powerhouse team.
What makes this a great question,is all four league winners had great years:
NEC-Dukes
CAA-Maine
Ivy-Tigers
Patriot-Colgate

Healthy for FB!

It was a very good year for FCS in the East.

aceinthehole
December 16th, 2018, 02:30 PM

Agreed, but only 3 of those teams won a playoff game.

I would vote Maine for Lambert. Black Bears has FBS win and 2 playoff wins.

Tigers best win vs Dartmouth, but little else to hang their hat on.

JSUSoutherner
December 16th, 2018, 02:42 PM

This.

DFW HOYA
December 16th, 2018, 02:52 PM

Notwithstanding, it's been the worst two-year run in the 32 year history of the Patriot League.

NY Crusader 2010
December 16th, 2018, 03:57 PM

You forgot the part where they beat Yale who beat Maine.

aceinthehole
December 16th, 2018, 05:04 PM
You forgot the part where they beat Yale who beat Maine.

Big deal. One common opponent does not tip the scales to Princeton. Even if you give the Tigers 3 quality wins (Dartmouth, San Diego, and Yale), the rest of the schedule was total garbage.

Maine played 4 more games in total with a much more difficult SOS. The Black Bears had wins over 4 FCS playoff teams Weber State, Jacksonville State, Elon, Towson, and FBS Western Kentucky.

Until Princeton beats someone outside of the Ivy/Patriot/Pioneer, they can not be taken seriously.

Southsider
December 16th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Big deal. One common opponent does not tip the scales to Princeton. Even if you give the Tigers 3 quality wins (Dartmouth, San Diego, and Yale), the rest of the schedule was total garbage.

Maine played 4 more games in total with a much more difficult SOS. The Black Bears had wins over 4 FCS playoff teams Weber State, Jacksonville State, Elon, Towson, and FBS Western Kentucky.

Until Princeton beats someone outside of the Ivy/Patriot/Pioneer, they can not be taken seriously.

+10! I think Tigers were a beast. But, blasting a crap Lehigh team proves nothing. Ivy’s can’t boast until they get their elitist heads out of their collective asses!

Go...gate
December 16th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Notwithstanding, it's been the worst two-year run in the 32 year history of the Patriot League.

Agreed. A lot of work to be done by all member programs. When will the Multi-Sport Field be finished?

NY Crusader 2010
December 16th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Ace,

You make some good points but I still think whoever awards this trophy will look at common opponents -- FCS playoff committee would certainly do same thing if between 2 teams for last playoff spot. And Maine fails the "common opponent" test against Colgate also.

2018 Princeton is significantly better IMO than the 3 IVY teams who split the award in 2015. If they dont win it this year at 10-0 with level of dominance shown, then Ivy champs just shouldn't be considered going forward.

As a HC fan, I'd take either Maine or Colgates season 15x over Princetons but have to respect what the Tigers accomplished. Literally nothing more they could have done on the field.

DFW HOYA
December 16th, 2018, 05:59 PM
Agreed. A lot of work to be done by all member programs. When will the Multi-Sport Field be finished?

Now they say it's fall 2019, but the plans have been scaled back and now look like a redo of Jack Coffey Field. As of November, no in-ground construction had started.

PAllen
December 16th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Agreed. A lot of work to be done by all member programs. When will the Multi-Sport Field be started?

FIFY

Go...gate
December 16th, 2018, 07:15 PM
Now they say it's fall 2019, but the plans have been scaled back and now look like a redo of Jack Coffey Field. As of November, no in-ground construction had started.

They really need to get that done, with bathrooms and such. It is a long way from what was originally proposed.