PDA

View Full Version : Quarterfinal: #5 South Dakota State @ #4 Kennesaw State

Pages : 1 [2] 3

FUBeAR
December 5th, 2018, 05:30 PM
There’s a TacoMac, Tin Lizzy’s, and other bars right off of Chastain probably half a mile from the stadium.
Jeez...if you’re talking Bars/Restaurants near the stadium, how could you omit this one. It’s 1.5 miles from the stadium on the same dang street!

https://scoopotp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/525158_489697864426406_769098214_n.jpg

Twin Peaks, Kennesaw - with all that rustic kitsch, the Dakotans will feel right at home...except for the good lookin’ women.

I bet there’s not a waitress there who could resist a dude in a cute bunny costume. Do y’all costume up for games? Y’know like Redskins Fans dressed up like Hogs...and Browns Fans have the Dog Pound & dress up in Dog stuff...Do y’all have a Bunny Hutch?

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/1ff324b5-30be-4dbc-93df-46e732ae1192_1.883b1aeae538f9e319935b01a2021b59.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Bison56
December 5th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Walking distance? Who cares about walking distance... Joose and drive baby!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CappinHard again.

JacksFan40
December 5th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Ah, I missed Montana State, my bad. Your playoff teams were from the Southern, OVC, and the Southland (which you lost to, who then got whooped by NDSU). Not exactly the cream of the crop of the FCS. Let me know who had an easier path.
USD played Nicholls and SHSU. That was a pretty easy slate of games compared to other paths. Of course they’d of ended up in Fargo even if they beat SHSU so yeah.

JacksFan40
December 5th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Jeez...if you’re talking Bars/Restaurants near the stadium, how could you omit this one. It’s 1.5 miles from the stadium on the same dang street!

https://scoopotp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/525158_489697864426406_769098214_n.jpg

Twin Peaks, Kennesaw - with all that rustic kitsch, the Dakotans will feel right at home...except for the good lookin’ women.

I bet there’s not a waitress there who could resist a dude in a cute bunny costume. Do y’all costume up for games? Y’know like Redskins Fans dressed up like Hogs...and Browns Fans have the Dog Pound & dress up in Dog stuff...Do y’all have a Bunny Hutch?

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/1ff324b5-30be-4dbc-93df-46e732ae1192_1.883b1aeae538f9e319935b01a2021b59.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
Them southern girls are nice, but at least our state has the hottest women in all the Dakotas.

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Them southern girls are nice, but at least our state has the hottest women in all the Dakotas.

Wrong.

Bison56
December 5th, 2018, 08:33 PM

You spelled biggest wrong.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Twin Peaks pics.....I approve the thread drift....xthumbsupx

xhurrayx

Thumper 76
December 5th, 2018, 09:47 PM
You spelled biggest wrong.

Says the fans with the Thundering Hers xcoffeex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
December 5th, 2018, 09:56 PM

Is their name Steve?

JacksFan40
December 5th, 2018, 10:22 PM

I prefer the Thundering Thighs.

JimmyJack
December 6th, 2018, 09:50 AM
I don't dismiss KSU's success at all. It's amazing what they've done in a short time. But still it's worth noting that KSU's opponents were 41-71 this year, in a pretty weak conference. Does anyone want to guess how JSU, Campbell, Tennessee Tech, Alabama State, Clark, Samford, Presbyterian, Gardner-Webb, or Charleston Southern might have fared in the MVFC? SDSU's opponents were 55-58 this year. But outside of Arkansas Pine-Bluff, they were all solid opponents. Indiana State should have been in the playoffs. Montana State was in the playoffs. The only really bad team outside of Pine Bluff was Southern Illinois, and they had several one-score MVFC losses.

I get that the triple option is something of an equalizer. And it's on SDSU to stop it. But as far as the two teams' seasons go, there isn't much comparison, is there?

ksu_owls
December 6th, 2018, 10:04 AM
I get that the triple option is something of an equalizer. And it's on SDSU to stop it. But as far as the two teams' seasons go, there isn't much comparison, is there?

Without a doubt there is no comparison to the two schedules. If SDSU stops the option then the game will be a long one for us. Our path to victory is TOP through a successful running attack. Our coaches will bring the best game plan they can and I'll be there to see if it's enough to win. I'm really hoping we learn something about our defense Saturday... we've done very well against one dimensional teams, I hope I can say the same about a well balanced offense Saturday afternoon... we'll see!

KSUFAN
December 6th, 2018, 10:31 AM
I don't dismiss KSU's success at all. It's amazing what they've done in a short time. But still it's worth noting that KSU's opponents were 41-71 this year, in a pretty weak conference. Does anyone want to guess how JSU, Campbell, Tennessee Tech, Alabama State, Clark, Samford, Presbyterian, Gardner-Webb, or Charleston Southern might have fared in the MVFC? SDSU's opponents were 55-58 this year. But outside of Arkansas Pine-Bluff, they were all solid opponents. Indiana State should have been in the playoffs. Montana State was in the playoffs. The only really bad team outside of Pine Bluff was Southern Illinois, and they had several one-score MVFC losses.

You are right Big South is weak! That's been beat to death all year. Funny you left off Wofford and Monmouth in these numbers. Guess they don't fit the narrative? I guess the people deciding the seeding, the Coach's poll, Stats, and yes the AGS poll felt like the seasons compare. We know SDSU is a good team and we know we must play a good game to win. Hopefully our boys come ready to play!

Thumper 76
December 6th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Yeah the weak schedule thing has been beat to death.

HootyHoo
December 6th, 2018, 10:56 AM

Yes, their schedules compare quite nicely. SDSU's best wins are against a banged-up Montana St team, Indiana St in OT(in which you allowed 51 points), and partial-scholalarship Duquense team. Give me a break, your best result is a loss.

Thumper 76
December 6th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Yes, their schedules compare quite nicely. SDSU's best wins are against a banged-up Montana St team, Indiana St in OT(in which you allowed 51 points), and partial-scholalarship Duquense team. Give me a break, your best result is a loss.

Oh lord. You really, really think a MVFC schedule compares with a Big Soft schedule?

Bisonator
December 6th, 2018, 11:43 AM

Oh lord. You really, really think a MVFC schedule compares with a Big Soft schedule?

xlolxxdeadhorsexxlmaox

Thumper 76
December 6th, 2018, 11:44 AM
xlolxxdeadhorsexxlmaox

He started it xlolx

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Look, I agree that we need to beat a team like SDSU before we can talk any smack.

But we didn't have the easiest path to the quarters last year. Please. We didn't get a team from the NEC, Pioneer, or Patriot. Both teams we got were hot coming into the playoffs. Yes, I know JSU played an OVC schedule.

Also, we beat Montana State in a blizzard last year, and everyone here said we had no chance. That's a Big Sky team, and on the road.

Ah, I missed Montana State, my bad. Your playoff teams were from the Southern, OVC, and the Southland (which you lost to, who then got whooped by NDSU). Not exactly the cream of the crop of the FCS. Let me know who had an easier path.

It's kind of logically inconsistent to rag on their playoff schedule. Even if you assume the MVFC is the best conference (a proposition I agree with), in the playoffs such a team would not play many MVFC teams just because of how the playoffs are set up to minimize (to an extent) early round matchups.

Quite frankly, outside of NDSU, the MVFC has a mixed bag of success against the aforementioned supposedly weak conferences. I'm not including the OVC, because they've only won 9 playoff games in the last 20 years (they're a weak playoff conference anyway), but in the case of the Southland and Southern conference, the MVFC is only 4-3 against those teams since 2013, with only 3 of those games being blows (1 of which was a Socon team blowing out ISUb).

I know I'm supposedly the Socon homer on here or whatever, but MVFC fans seem to dismiss these teams because, outside of NDSU, they rarely play them because of geography. They have the false perception that either teams in these conferences are weaker or they themselves are stronger because they play in the MVFC. Again, take away NDSU and the dominance gap disappears (yes, no Socon/Southland team has beaten NDSU in the playoffs...but neither has an MVFC team).

There is no denying that SDSU is a good team, but they've had some favorable draws in the last two years in the playoffs . Just take a look: Duquesne, New Hampshire (who went on an improbable run against an NEC team and coachless UCA team), a Farleyed up UNI team. Those 3 teams finished 7-4 or won a weak conference. Compare that to Kennesaw State which beat an 8-3 Samford (second place in the socon last year), a highly-ranked albeit questionable Jacksonville State in the playoffs last year, and conference champ wofford this year.

I just don't see how you can say that KSU had an easier playoff schedule than SDSU. yes, they lost to SHSU who got blown out by NDSU, but SDSU laid their own egg against JMU. Maybe their schedules are similar, but I really don't see how you can say that SDSU's are better.

Meanwhile, I think there's a strong case that UNI always gets favorable first round draws (Incarnate Word, Monmouth, Eastern Illinois). Outside of NDSU, those are really the two main MVFC playoff stalwarts and their runs aren't *that* impressive or comparably dominant as NDSU. If you're hypothesis is that the entire MVFC is as great or on the level of NDSU in the playoffs, you would see the level of dominance NDSU produces in the playoffs among other teams. Quite frankly, you don't. A better hypothesis/theory is that NDSU has this extra level that they kick themselves in for the playoffs, and there's evidence to support it, just looking at how much better they play in rematch playoff games where the outcomes swings in their direction by 30 points compared to the initial matchup.

We've been through this before. Kennesaw state plays in a conference that's the weakest in Division one with full backing/funding/redshirt rules. But they have beaten more quality teams than most teams in the FCS. They're playing at a high level. Don't look at them as a typical Big South team, look at them as a typical Socon team. I'm not saying that as a socon homer, but because I think it's a more accurate prior.

Bisonator
December 6th, 2018, 11:49 AM
He started it xlolx

Haha he really hooked you with that one.
http://www.animatedimages.org/data/media/157/animated-fishing-image-0057.gif

JSUSoutherner
December 6th, 2018, 12:06 PM

It was beat to death last week as well...

And still somehow they won a game.

Hmm.... xcoffeex

JimmyJack
December 6th, 2018, 12:14 PM

Hmm.... xcoffeex

Sorry everybody. I should have read through the whole thread. Good news: There are games on Saturday so we'll get answers to all of this then.

ksu_owls
December 6th, 2018, 12:25 PM

Hmm.... xcoffeex

You can't judge a book by its cover nor a team by their conference. Sure, you will have massive differences in SOS, but it's not like KSU played any Big South teams even kind of close and they've beaten every other FCS opponent they've faced this year (although, I would argue GaSt is about as FCS as FBS gets... but there's more to that story). SDSU will be the toughest team the Owls have faced. I think SDSU is the better team but I think it's hard to out coach KSU and outplay the Owls. SDSU doesn't need their best game to win but I imagine they'll get the best from the Owls and they'll need to play reasonably well to handle that.

SoDakSA
December 6th, 2018, 12:41 PM
After all this chest beating about our respective teams, watch them both come out and play their worst games of the year on national TV. Then have the game decided by a missed call by the officials.

BisonFan02
December 6th, 2018, 01:48 PM

He's basing his opinion on the Southfork.

ST_Lawson
December 6th, 2018, 01:50 PM
After all this chest beating about our respective teams, watch them both come out and play their worst games of the year on national TV. Then have the game decided by a missed call by the officials.

3-0 win in OT

FUBeAR
December 6th, 2018, 02:41 PM
I called the KSU Ticket Office today and asked them what time the game starts on Saturday...

https://i.postimg.cc/rFNBR0nS/1-D957837-1-A66-4-CFA-9-BCB-0114-B7-AF500-F.png

...They asked me what time could I get there.

ksu_owls
December 6th, 2018, 02:55 PM
I called the KSU Ticket Office today and asked them what time the game starts on Saturday...

https://i.postimg.cc/rFNBR0nS/1-D957837-1-A66-4-CFA-9-BCB-0114-B7-AF500-F.png

...They asked me what time could I get there.

I don't anticipate Coach Bo's presser to add too many butts in seats xthumbsdownx

IF it was going to be one of those weird 65 degree sunny December days that we randomly have on occasion I truly believe his passion alone would have had 7k show up, but with this forecast it's going to be miserable. I think if it would go ahead and snow it would be better than just nasty heavy cold rain the entire time.

SoDakSA
December 6th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I don't anticipate Coach Bo's presser to add too many butts in seats xthumbsdownx

IF it was going to be one of those weird 65 degree sunny December days that we randomly have on occasion I truly believe his passion alone would have had 7k show up, but with this forecast it's going to be miserable. I think if it would go ahead and snow it would be better than just nasty heavy cold rain the entire time.

How does the field handle heavy rain? Is the drainage pretty good?

Birdman_
December 6th, 2018, 03:05 PM
How does the field handle heavy rain? Is the drainage pretty good?

The field wins awards pretty much every year. Very high quality playing surface, and drains very well.

ksu_owls
December 6th, 2018, 03:24 PM
The field wins awards pretty much every year. Very high quality playing surface, and drains very well.

It might be a soccer stadium to many of you, but it's one helluva field quality wise.

Jacks02
December 6th, 2018, 04:02 PM

Hey, at least the wind won't be blowing!

FUBeAR
December 6th, 2018, 04:08 PM
It might be a soccer stadium to many of you, but it's one helluva field quality wise.
Yes - they were talking about this on the broadcast last week -
KENNESAW STATE INSTALLS FIRST HYBRID GRASS FIELD IN THE UNITED STATES
(https://ksuowls.com/news/2018/6/6/general-kennesaw-state-installs-first-hybrid-grass-field-in-the-united-states.aspx)

I found it to be very interesting & am sure it helps with drainage, heat dissipation, Player ‘feel,’ and, maybe, injuries.

Too bad Yale can’t afford this and plays in a muddy hog wallow instead. With an endowment of only $30 billion, they have to watch their pennies, y’know.

I want to see a game in y’all’s dang Stadium. Can’t you do something about this weather?

Have you reached out to this guy?

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/73/d8/a9/73d8a94605fe9fdf0546f05020b794af--underdog-cartoon-pinterest.jpg

He is an apt ally for the Owls this week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJSNuEPVV0o

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Too bad that they get **** weather two weekends in a row in Kennesaw when they're hosting playoff games.

But hey... football is "meant to played outside and in the elements" right? ;)

SoDakSA
December 6th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Yes - they were talking about this on the broadcast last week -
KENNESAW STATE INSTALLS FIRST HYBRID GRASS FIELD IN THE UNITED STATES
(https://ksuowls.com/news/2018/6/6/general-kennesaw-state-installs-first-hybrid-grass-field-in-the-united-states.aspx)

I found it to be very interesting & am sure it helps with drainage, heat dissipation, Player ‘feel,’ and, maybe, injuries.

Too bad Yale can’t afford this and plays in a muddy hog wallow instead. With an endowment of only $30 billion, they have to watch their pennies, y’know.

You should have seen the brown mess that SDSU used to play on in late November. I would always pray for snowfall to cover the field up.

ksu_owls
December 6th, 2018, 05:24 PM
I keep checking the weather hoping for it to change. There's no way more than 3,500 show up with this crap that's projected... There's a 99.8% chance this will be our OG's last home game, too. Wish we could send them off to Fargo with an impressive crowd.

JacksFan40
December 6th, 2018, 06:13 PM
You should have seen the brown mess that SDSU used to play on in late November. I would always pray for snowfall to cover the field up.
Those games were my favorite to watch at CAS. As well as my favorite to play in High School, loved playing on a muddy baseball field.

Thumper 76
December 7th, 2018, 09:42 AM
I hate games where we are supposed to be the favorites by a touchdown or more. I get more nervous than excited. Kinda like whenever we play SIU, you know that if your defense isn’t on its game you could end up in a type of game you don’t want. I feel the same about KSU (they’re better than SIU obviously), where if we don’t come out to play we could end up in a REAL dogfight. If the defense doesn’t get off the field this game could be as demoralizing as the damn YSU game last year. A run oriented team that thrives off of long drives and wearing you down is definitely more capable of completely shutting down the SDSU offense than most defenses are. Tbh if we win I’ll be less nervous because we know what to expect against ndsu. Ugh. Today is going to be loooooooooong.

ksu_owls
December 7th, 2018, 10:04 AM
I hate games where we are supposed to be the favorites by a touchdown or more. I get more nervous than excited. Kinda like whenever we play SIU, you know that if your defense isn’t on its game you could end up in a type of game you don’t want. I feel the same about KSU (they’re better than SIU obviously), where if we don’t come out to play we could end up in a REAL dogfight. If the defense doesn’t get off the field this game could be as demoralizing as the damn YSU game last year. A run oriented team that thrives off of long drives and wearing you down is definitely more capable of completely shutting down the SDSU offense than most defenses are. Tbh if we win I’ll be less nervous because we know what to expect against ndsu. Ugh. Today is going to be loooooooooong.

I've consistently said that we have to have a significant advantage with TOP to win this game. I agree it comes down to your defense. The problem with this game for the Owls is we typically can have a 5 minute drive that ends in a field goal and count on our defense to make adjustments along the way to stop opposing offenses and then beat teams in the 2nd half because of their defensive fatigue. I think we have a great defense but they've never faced an offense of your caliber. If we do rely on them to make adjustments and get stops, it may be too late if we are just swapping 5 minutes for 3 points every drive. We have to get in the end zone and keep your offense off of the field.

It's no surprise what our game plan is coming into this, I'll just be interested in how you guys will counter. If the weather is as sloppy as it's predicting, this game could be decided by which team takes care of a slippery ball the best.

I AM SO EXCITED I WISH WE WERE PLAYING TONIGHT

FUBeAR
December 7th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Updated forecast...not better...

https://i.postimg.cc/fRzY0VHd/386-EDC6-A-4890-46-F8-B86-C-FB7-DF34-F5654.png

...windier.

Chilly - Advantage - bunnies
Wet - Advantage - Neither
Windy - Advantage - birds

Methinks the elements WILL play a part in the outcome of this game

CappinHard
December 7th, 2018, 11:38 AM
...windier.

Meh... we're from SD... unless you're talking above 15 mph sustained, then it's just a light breeze.

FUBeAR
December 7th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Meh... we're from SD... unless you're talking above 15 mph sustained, then it's just a light breeze.I’m no physicist nor a meteorologist, but I’m willing to bet that, on the average, an NCAA regulation football in the air in a 15 mile/hour wind in GA will be affected just about the same as it will in a 15 mile/hour wind in SD.

CappinHard
December 7th, 2018, 11:52 AM
I’m no physicist nor a meteorologist, but I’m willing to bet that, on the average, an NCAA regulation football in the air in a 15 mile/hour wind in GA will be affected just about the same as it will in a 15 mile/hour wind in SD.

Yes, that much we can agree on. What I was saying was that we're used to wind like that and play in it almost every game. So anything less than 15 would feel like a light breeze to us.

ngineer
December 7th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Goin' with the bunnies. Hardly anyone showed up at last week's game at KSU. Who cares???

FUBeAR
December 7th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Yes, that much we can agree on. What I was saying was that we're used to wind like that and play in it almost every game. So anything less than 15 would feel like a light breeze to us.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/yWUFlQp2fLllmXNDKlP8esv8PDA=/0x0:2400x1500/1200x0/filters:focal(0x0:2400x1500):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/11593355/Under_pct_for_games_greater_than_X_wind.png
Sample size is 7,323 College Games

The red line below represents the percentage of games that were under when then wind is greater than the x value.

Bottom Line: Wind affects Passing & thus, reduces scoring. KSU doesn’t pass. SDSU passes.

Average wind speed in 2018 regular season games in Brookings = 8 mph

...ipso facto...

CappinHard
December 7th, 2018, 12:25 PM

The red line below represents the percentage of games that were under when then wind is greater than the x value.

Bottom Line: Wind affects Passing & thus, reduces scoring. KSU doesn’t pass. SDSU passes.

...ipso facto...

https://media.giphy.com/media/u9e7fk2rL5njy/giphy.gif

SoDakSA
December 7th, 2018, 12:42 PM
Updated forecast...not better...

...windier.

I agree that the elements will have some sort of role in the outcome.

The Jacks seem to be throwing more intermediate passes this year. Perhaps having the speed of a Cade Johnson has aided in that. Not having a reliance on the deep ball helps negate the wind a bit, but it all depends on the direction it comes from. It is easy to adjust to a head/tail wind. If it is a cross wind, that's a whole other ball of wax.

ksu_owls
December 7th, 2018, 12:47 PM

Interesting... so the 20% discount only applies to select snacks?

FUBeAR
December 7th, 2018, 12:59 PM
Interesting... so the 20% discount only applies to select snacks?

Apparently, but it looks like some solid choices...

https://i.postimg.cc/CLT2thn7/02-B6963-E-8-BD0-4-D80-8-F3-F-D9-C9-D136-A36-C.png

Thumper 76
December 7th, 2018, 01:43 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/yWUFlQp2fLllmXNDKlP8esv8PDA=/0x0:2400x1500/1200x0/filters:focal(0x0:2400x1500):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/11593355/Under_pct_for_games_greater_than_X_wind.png

...ipso facto...

Have you ever been to the Dakotas?

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 01:44 PM

xlolx obviously not.

SoDakSA
December 7th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Since the topic of covering was bought up it made me wonder what the two teams had for spreads this season. This is all from vegasinsider.com

The Jackrabbits played 11 games (including last week's playoff game) and were favored in all but one of them (@NDSU +10). The average spread on their games was -18. The Jacks were 8-3 versus the spread with their 3 "losses" being ISUb (-35), UNI (-9), and SIU (-24).

The owls played 11 games that vegas put numbers on (evidently, they don't think highly of the Clark Atlanta Panthers) and were favored in all but one game (@GaSt +2.5). The average spread was about -22. The Owls were also 8-3 versus the spread. Their "losses" were to GaSt (+2.5), Jax St (-10), and Wofford (-8.5).

None of this really has any impact on the game, but I had to kill some time on a conference call.

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2018, 01:49 PM

.....UH-UH...xsmhx....WE HAVE ROCKS....AND......UH BEACH....HERE.....xnodx.....BRAWK!

ElCid
December 7th, 2018, 02:04 PM

I have. Didn't like it. I left. Actually been to just ND, a bunch. Too cold. Got to get to SD some day.

SoDakSA
December 7th, 2018, 02:15 PM
I have. Didn't like it. I left. Actually been to just ND, a bunch. Too cold. Got to get to SD some day.

Come visit during spring or fall. Best 2 weeks of the year.

ksu_owls
December 7th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Since the topic of covering was bought up it made me wonder what the two teams had for spreads this season. This is all from vegasinsider.com

The Jackrabbits played 11 games (including last week's playoff game) and were favored in all but one of them (@NDSU +10). The average spread on their games was -18. The Jacks were 8-3 versus the spread with their 3 "losses" being ISUb (-35), UNI (-9), and SIU (-24).

The owls played 11 games that vegas put numbers on (evidently, they don't think highly of the Clark Atlanta Panthers) and were favored in all but one game (@GaSt +2.5). The average spread was about -22. The Owls were also 8-3 versus the spread. Their "losses" were to GaSt (+2.5), Jax St (-10), and Wofford (-8.5).

None of this really has any impact on the game, but I had to kill some time on a conference call.

I told my friends to take JSU +10. I knew it would be a one score game either way. The GaSt game was the only one I would have lost... of course, we did blow a 2 TD lead to a less talented team. I think KSU +7 is a gamble worth taking. That is not a knock on SDSU, I just feel like this will be a one score game either way.

FUBeAR
December 7th, 2018, 02:39 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAre you offering to host FUBeAR on a road trip? I accept!! Thanks!!!

I have not - never been to ME, NH, VT, RI, ND, SD, IA, MT, ID, AK, WY, NE, AR, or OK. Been to the other 36 though.

One thing that all 36 that I have been to had in common was that 1 mile/hour was 1 mile/hour in all of them. Whether it was CA, MA, FL, or CO; that metric always meant the same thing. Is a mile in the Dakotas a different distance than those other states? Is an hour a different amount of time? ;)

But, seriously, wind speed is reported in box scores. So, I looked at the recorded wind speed in SDSU’s 7 (must be nice) regular season home games in 2018 & averaged those numbers to arrive at 8 mph. That number is rounded from 8.2 something, I believe. Where a range of wind speeds was recorded, I used the midpoint of that range for calculating the average.

Do you think the MVFC Official Scorers recorded the windspeeds incorrectly?

Let’s try to think about this logically and leave FUBeAR’s Travelogue out of the equation.

1. Does increased windspeed, due to it’s effect on the passing game, affect scoring? The graph I posted indicates that answer is “Yes,” beginning at windspeeds above about 8 mph.
2. If Team A passes the ball 43% of the time & Team B passes the ball 15% of the time, which Team is more likely to have their scoring impacted if windspeeds are > 8 mph? Team A, who passes almost 3x as much as Team B or Team B, who passes about 1/3rd as often as Team A?

Hint: The answer is Team A

...ergo...

Windy - advantage - birds

Thumper 76
December 7th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Are you offering to host FUBeAR on a road trip? I accept!! Thanks!!!

I have not - never been to ME, NH, VT, RI, ND, SD, IA, MT, ID, AK, WY, NE, AR, or OK. Been to the other 36 though.

One thing that all 36 that I have been to had in common was that 1 mile/hour was 1 mile/hour in all of them. Whether it was CA, MA, FL, or CO; that metric always meant the same thing. Is a mile in the Dakotas a different distance than those other states? Is an hour a different amount of time? ;)

But, seriously, wind speed is reported in box scores. So, I looked at the recorded wind speed in SDSU’s 7 (must be nice) regular season home games in 2018 & averaged those numbers to arrive at 8 mph. That number is rounded from 8.2 something, I believe. Where a range of wind speeds was recorded, I used the midpoint of that range for calculating the average.

Do you think the MVFC Official Scorers recorded the windspeed incorrectly?

Let’s try to think about this logically and leave FUBeAR’s Travelogue out of the equation.

1. Does increased windspeed, due to it’s effect on the passing game, affect scoring? The graph I posted indicates that answer is “Yes,” beginning at windspeeds above about 8 mph.
2. If Team A passes the ball 43% of the time & Team B passes the ball 15% of the time, which Team is more likely to have their scoring impacted if windspeeds are > 8 mph? Team A, who passes almost 3x as much as Team B or Team B, who passes about 1/3rd as often as Team A?

Guessing you have some numbers issues then maybe? We only had 6 regular season home games. Also, we practice in South Dakota, with the wind. Hence why I asked if you have been here. The wind on the plains is not and will never be even close to whatever slight breezes happen in Georgia. I’ve been there. Atlanta wind is not in the same stratosphere.

cx500d
December 7th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Apparently, but it looks like some solid choices...

https://i.postimg.cc/CLT2thn7/02-B6963-E-8-BD0-4-D80-8-F3-F-D9-C9-D136-A36-C.png
Tim Tams are awesome

cx500d
December 7th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Is a mile in the Dakotas a different distance than those other states? Is an hour a different amount of time? ;)

If you’ve ever driven the length of I94 or I90 through the dakotas you would swear Dakota miles are longer and and dakota clocks run way slow.

only thing that surpasses Dakota miles and time is Texas miles and time.

CappinHard
December 7th, 2018, 03:04 PM

...ergo...

The point is... we're used to the wind. The advantage you're assuming is not necessarily valid when it comes to a team that plays in that kind of wind all the time and knows how to adjust to it.

FUBeAR
December 7th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Guessing you have some numbers issues then maybe? We only had 6 regular season home games. Also, we practice in South Dakota, with the wind. Hence why I asked if you have been here. The wind on the plains is not and will never be even close to whatever slight breezes happen in Georgia. I’ve been there. Atlanta wind is not in the same stratosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYou are correct. That SIU game was throwing me, for some reason. I should have known something was ‘up’ with that “0” in there. I guess they can’t afford the cost of wind in Carbondale. So, that does change things. The correct number is an average windspeed of 8.75 mph; call it 9 mph.

So, as y’all have been asserting, somewhat accustomed to playing in winds that do have some impact on the passing game. The average forecasted windspeed for Sat. is 11 mph during the hours of the game. So, while the impact of 11 mph over 9 mph may be minimal, minimal does not eliminate

About hosting FUBeAR on that Dakotas road trip?

Thumper 76
December 7th, 2018, 03:25 PM
You are correct. That SIU game was throwing me, for some reason. I should have know something was ‘up’ with that “0” in there. I guess they can’t afford the cost of wind in Carbondale. So, that does change things. The correct number is an average windspeed of 8.75 mph; call it 9 mph.

So, as y’all have been asserting, somewhat accustomed to playing in winds that do have some impact on the passing game. The average forecasted windspeed for Sat. is 11 mph during the hours of the game. So, while the impact of 11 mph over 9 mph may be minimal, minimal does not eliminate

About hosting FUBeAR on that Dakotas road trip?
Right, so the fact that the last SDSU game was just in 15-20 mph winds in the snow must be something you just happened to leave out to support your purposefully, erm, “accidentally” misleading argument, I suppose? Game went just fine, Taryns numbers weren’t phenomenal but he did make a play like his first td pass, which was a pretty damn good pass. To pretend wind will completely shut down the SDSU passing game is wrong.

You’re more than welcome to come out to the Dakotas any time you want.

ksu_owls
December 7th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Right, so the fact that the last SDSU game was just in 15-20 mph winds in the snow must be something you just happened to leave out to support your purposefully, erm, “accidentally” misleading argument, I suppose? Game went just fine, Taryns numbers weren’t phenomenal but he did make a play like his first td pass, which was a pretty damn good pass. To pretend wind will completely shut down the SDSU passing game is wrong.

You’re more than welcome to come out to the Dakotas any time you want.

KSU -vs- Monmouth had wind gusts of up to 45mph. I'm not arguing that we play in as much wind as SDSU, who seem very proud of their wind, but the Owls didn't seem too bothered. Of course, there is no comparison between Monmouth and SDSU.

edit: Also, I think we all would be better off playing in snow instead of playing in nasty almost-cold-enough-to-snow rain...

Thumper 76
December 7th, 2018, 03:40 PM
KSU -vs- Monmouth had wind gusts of up to 45mph. I'm not arguing that we play in as much wind as SDSU, who seem very proud of their wind, but the Owls didn't seem too bothered. Of course, there is no comparison between Monmouth and SDSU.

I guess I wasn’t the one making a big deal about wind killing SDSUs passing game. I’m sure with their prolific passing game KSU wasn’t bothered xlolx

ksu_owls
December 7th, 2018, 04:19 PM
I guess I wasn’t the one making a big deal about wind killing SDSUs passing game. I’m sure with their prolific passing game KSU wasn’t bothered xlolx

It definitely had an impact.... we only passed for 90 yards.... that's TWENTY ONE yards less than our average lol

FUBeAR
December 7th, 2018, 04:20 PM
You’re more than welcome to come out to the Dakotas any time you want

Hmmm...sounds like I’d need to book a room at the Fargo YMCA instead of being hosted in the luxury of the Presidential Wing at the Thumper Estate / Ranch / Hutch.

*Left off the Duquesne game because a blizzard seemed a bit anamolous & the level of competition, despite their defeat of a CAAnt Team, did as well. Including that game takes the avg windspeed up to 10 mph vs. forecasted avg of 11 mph...

still...

** “very proud of their wind” - now THAT’s FUNNY! I hope y’all repped ksu_owls for that one. I sure did!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Come visit during spring or fall. Best 2 weeks of the year.

xlolx

Spring and fall are great up here. Colors up here in the "woods" are awesome in the fall.

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Alright...game day!

Looking at this game from a different perspective: What flaw can the opposition exploit to beat your team?

For SDSU I think they struggle with a true dual threat QB. If KSU can come out and make the Jacks respect the pass, it could be a longer day that we would want

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2018, 07:13 AM
For SDSU I think they struggle with a true dual threat QB.bunnies are in trouble then...

Burks is the ultimate dual threat QB.

He can run the ball OR pitch/handoff the ball to a RB with equal degrees of success.

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 07:25 AM
bunnies are in trouble then...

Burks is the ultimate dual threat QB.

He can run the ball OR pitch/handoff the ball to a RB with equal degrees of success.

While I don't doubt he may be able to throw the ball a bit, the stats tell a different story.

According to KSU's website he's completed 66 passes in 12 games and attempted 116. I haven't watched all the games, is that right?

A pitch/handoff is not the same as throwing the ball downfield.

ksu_owls
December 8th, 2018, 07:49 AM
While I don't doubt he may be able to throw the ball a bit, the stats tell a different story.

According to KSU's website he's completed 66 passes in 12 games and attempted 116. I haven't watched all the games, is that right?

His averages can be misleading just because if a team cannot stop our run then we really won’t pass much if at all. I know he threw for 201 yards (12-19; 10.6 ypp) in a losing effort to GaSt. We have the plays to get some yards through the air. I would expect us to come out passing more than usual in this one. If we can find some success early through the air it might make your defense forget their 4 days of TO training and open up our run game.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2018, 07:59 AM

https://i.imgflip.com/5b726.jpg

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 08:09 AM
His averages can be misleading just because if a team cannot stop our run then we really won’t pass much if at all. I know he threw for 201 yards (12-19; 10.6 ypp) in a losing effort to GaSt. We have the plays to get some yards through the air. I would expect us to come out passing more than usual in this one. If we can find some success early through the air it might make your defense forget their 4 days of TO training and open up our run game.

So we really don't know if he is a dual threat QB, or just a kid that occasionally passes because a team stacks the box? I am not trying to disparage the kid's talents, but I don't think he is a "dual threat."

I think that your last sentence is what KSU will need to win. If SDSU can just walk up as many guys as they want and leave our talented corners on an island it will not be close. If there is sustained success in the passing game then the Jacks are in trouble. If I am the SDSU staff, I take my chances on getting beat through the air by a QB that isn't used to winning games with his arm.

ksu_owls
December 8th, 2018, 08:22 AM
So we really don't know if he is a dual threat QB, or just a kid that occasionally passes because a team stacks the box? I am not trying to disparage the kid's talents, but I don't think he is a "dual threat."

I think that your last sentence is what KSU will need to win. If SDSU can just walk up as many guys as they want and leave our talented corners on an island it will not be close. If there is sustained success in the passing game then the Jacks are in trouble. If I am the SDSU staff, I take my chances on getting beat through the air by a QB that isn't used to winning games with his arm.

Absolutely, you have to bring a guy up. Our last two games Burks has had to complete 4th down passes of 10+ yards to keep the game winning/tying drives alive. I’m not exactly sure of how many of our 2pt conversions in the 5OT game were throws to Justin Sumpter but he’s been surprisingly clutch in moments we’ve needed him. That’s not me arguing he’s a true dual threat, and maintaining that level of performance for an entire game is a different story. If we can mix things up and keep you guys guessing we have a shot. A true option team knows you only need 4 yards a play to never punt. Remember we are talking about setting up 5-8 minute drives not the type of dual threat that slings it 50 yards for a TD.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2018, 08:41 AM
I just read something in The Argus Leader...whatever that is...about SDSU assigning their backside safety to cover the pitch. If that’s their D scheme, the Owl’s mouths will be watering. (Do birds have saliva?)

1) There is no way that a Safety from the backside is going to get there to stop the pitch for less than a 4 yard gain (all they need), if he gets there at all.

2) If the Safety ‘cheats’ enough to the middle of the field & starts gettin’ it downhill on flow, to have any chance to fulfill his assignment to cover the pitchman away, the backside post off play action, will be quite readily available. I don’t know if #3 can throw it to him, but #15 is a dangerous WR and 6’ 3” ...every play.

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 08:42 AM
Absolutely, you have to bring a guy up. Our last two games Burks has had to complete 4th down passes of 10+ yards to keep the game winning/tying drives alive. I’m not exactly sure of how many of our 2pt conversions in the 5OT game were throws to Justin Sumpter but he’s been surprisingly clutch in moments we’ve needed him. That’s not me arguing he’s a true dual threat, and maintaining that level of performance for an entire game is a different story. If we can mix things up and keep you guys guessing we have a shot. A true option team knows you only need 4 yards a play to never punt. Remember we are talking about setting up 5-8 minute drives not the type of dual threat that slings it 50 yards for a TD.

What I said on our message board is that the defense better make KSU beat us with 400 yards passing not 300 yards rushing.

SDSU needs to start fast. If this is a one score game midway through the 3rd quarter then I will start to get a little nervous.

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 08:45 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/5b726.jpg

I got it right away xlolx those south dakotans are a little slow.xnodx

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 08:50 AM

Ya, as soon as I posted the reply I knew I missed it. That's what I get for posting while still groggy from the night before (Curse you Dogfish Head Brewing).

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 08:52 AM
Ya, as soon as I posted the reply I knew I missed it. That's what I get for posting while still groggy from the night before (Curse you Dogfish Head Brewing).

xlolx

POD Knows
December 8th, 2018, 08:53 AM
I am sorry but this game will not be close, KSU simply does not have the horses to stay with this MVFC juggernaut. Rain or shine, it will SDSU, all day long. 34-14 #BOOKIT

ksu_owls
December 8th, 2018, 08:59 AM
I am sorry but this game will not be close, KSU simply does not have the horses to stay with this MVFC juggernaut. Rain or shine, it will SDSU, all day long. 34-14 #BOOKIT
I hope you’re “right” lol

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2018, 09:02 AM
I hope you’re “right” lol
...said the fly to the spider.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/297/055/875.gif

JacksFan40
December 8th, 2018, 09:07 AM
If we come out in our base zone then I’m turning the channel and watching Army-Navy.

ksu_owls
December 8th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Alright, I’m about to head to the stadium (along with probably only a few hundred other people lol) but before I get caught up in the tailgating I wanted to give a meaningless prediction.

The Owls have done a lot for a four year program, if nothing else we’ve been relevant in December for two years in a row. I think we have a bright future and today I’m excited as we face the toughest team we’ve ever played. The OGs that started this program are playing their final game at the Bank, which for a fan that’s followed every game is absolutely mind blowing.

Unfortunately, I think we need SDSU to have miscues to win. If they come out firing on all cylinders then I’m not sure there’s any team in FCS that can beat them (except for a NDSU also firing on all cylinders).

I think you’ll see a run first/pass when not expected approach by the Owls. We literally only need 4 yards a play and avoid big losses. I think today we will be the little engine that could. SDSU will definitely score but the more we keep it out of their hands the better our chances. This game will come down to a turnover and I’m calling on Plank to bring home the W!

In a sloppy slobber knocker I think the Owls win 38-35 in OT.

No_Skill
December 8th, 2018, 09:40 AM
I forgot you guys have that turnover plank! That thing is beyond awesome.

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 09:42 AM

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Alright, I’m about to head to the stadium (along with probably only a few hundred other people lol)

I don’t know...looks like at least 1,000 will show. They’re lining up already...

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170828184432-30-rharvery-0828-super-169.jpg

ksu_owls
December 8th, 2018, 09:59 AM
I almost forgot! Any SDSU fans in attendance hit me up. I’ve got beer and candy in the back of my white van

But seriously would love to meet any visitors

CappinHard
December 8th, 2018, 10:01 AM

https://i.giphy.com/media/iOGROlDst8AKOfs2ix/giphy.gif

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Alright, I’m about to head to the stadium (along with probably only a few hundred other people lol) but before I get caught up in the tailgating I wanted to give a meaningless prediction.

The Owls have done a lot for a four year program, if nothing else we’ve been relevant in December for two years in a row. I think we have a bright future and today I’m excited as we face the toughest team we’ve ever played. The OGs that started this program are playing their final game at the Bank, which for a fan that’s followed every game is absolutely mind blowing.

Unfortunately, I think we need SDSU to have miscues to win. If they come out firing on all cylinders then I’m not sure there’s any team in FCS that can beat them (except for a NDSU also firing on all cylinders).

I think you’ll see a run first/pass when not expected approach by the Owls. We literally only need 4 yards a play and avoid big losses. I think today we will be the little engine that could. SDSU will definitely score but the more we keep it out of their hands the better our chances. This game will come down to a turnover and I’m calling on Plank to bring home the W!

I just hate that the weather will keep both teams from playing their best games.

If this game goes to overtime, we will need to have numerous well-being checks in South Dakota

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 10:07 AM

Sure took your sweet ass time doing this.....

Carolina010
December 8th, 2018, 10:09 AM

This is LITERALLY true for EVERY team at EVERY level of football. All the Jacks need is 4 yards per play and avoid losses and they won't have any trouble winning this game.

ksu_owls
December 8th, 2018, 10:18 AM
This is LITERALLY true for EVERY team at EVERY level of football. All the Jacks need is 4 yards per play and avoid losses and they won't have any trouble winning this game.

Holy crap! This guy has figured out the secret to football lol. I’m saying that as an option team this is how we are built... I doubt SDSU’s game plan is to get 4 yards every play or to have 8 minute drives.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 10:25 AM
I just read something in The Argus Leader...whatever that is...about SDSU assigning their backside safety to cover the pitch. If that’s their D scheme, the Owl’s mouths will be watering. (Do birds have saliva?)

1) There is no way that a Safety from the backside is going to get there to stop the pitch for less than a 4 yard gain (all they need), if he gets there at all.

2) If the Safety ‘cheats’ enough to the middle of the field & starts gettin’ it downhill on flow, to have any chance to fulfill his assignment to cover the pitchman away, the backside post off play action, will be quite readily available. I don’t know if #3 can throw it to him, but #15 is a dangerous WR and 6’ 3” ...every play.
You didn’t read the article very closely then. That’s what they did against Poly in 16, and they won’t be doing that this game, according to the article and the players. We do also have an potential draft pick in corner Jordan Brown, and I’m sure #15 is good but I’m also sure Brown has covered better. So I’m not terrified of getting gashed by Burke’s through the air yet.

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 10:26 AM

Technically all you need is 3.5 yards per play

JacksFan40
December 8th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Holy crap! This guy has figured out the secret to football lol. I’m saying that as an option team this is how we are built... I doubt SDSU’s game plan is to get 4 yards every play or to have 8 minute drives.
Switch the yards per play number and the drive time and you have our game plan pretty much.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 10:27 AM

There’s a slam in there somewhere, give me a minute and I’ll find it in there.

CappinHard
December 8th, 2018, 10:28 AM
You didn’t read the article very closely then. That’s what they did against Poly in 16, and they won’t be doing that this game, according to the article and the players. We do also have an potential draft pick in corner Jordan Brown, and I’m sure #15 is good but I’m also sure Brown has covered better. So I’m not terrified of getting gashed by Burke’s through the air yet.

"Yabut that doesn't fit my narrative tho."

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 10:29 AM
"Yabut that doesn't fit my narrative tho."

Gotta protect that SuthernPraad tho

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 10:36 AM
I almost forgot! Any SDSU fans in attendance hit me up. I’ve got beer and candy in the back of my white van

But seriously would love to meet any visitors

Dont be stupid, make sure he shows you the candy before you get in the van.

ksu_owls
December 8th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Technically all you need is 3.5 yards per play

Technically you only need 2.5 yards per play

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Technically you only need 2.5 yards per play

We don't like to go for it on 4th down.

ksu_owls
December 8th, 2018, 10:39 AM
We don't like to go for it on 4th down.

We almost always do unless it’s just obvious we shouldn’t.

Carolina010
December 8th, 2018, 10:39 AM

Your right. I'm sure thats not the plan but that is all you need to keep the chains moving and game plan or not thats kind of the point.

ksu_owls
December 8th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Your right. I'm sure thats not the plan but that is all you need to keep the chains moving and game plan or not thats kind of the point.
My point was we don’t have to run all over SDSU to beat them. We don’t even have to look impressive to beat them. This convo is getting into the fundamentals of what makes the TO and equalizer in a lot of games. It’s an obvious point, yes, but it’s also our game plan.

CappinHard
December 8th, 2018, 10:56 AM
We don’t even have to look impressive to beat them.

Ha, ok.

SeattleBobcat
December 8th, 2018, 10:59 AM
I really don't think this is a good matchup for KSU. SDSU has a really good run D, actually really good D all around, and a great QB who distributes the ball well to his playmakers. I'm thinking 30-14 SDSU.

CappinHard
December 8th, 2018, 11:04 AM
It was just announced that one of our starting DTs, Krockett Krolikowski is gone for the season with a knee injury. This is a huge blow.

CappinHard
December 8th, 2018, 11:19 AM
On the bright side, our other dynamic freshman RB, CJ Wilson is back after missing multiple games, and Wes Genant, the starting center will play today, he was expected to be out due to an injury last week.

JimmyJack
December 8th, 2018, 11:29 AM
It was just announced that one of our starting DTs, Krockett Krolikowski is gone for the season with a knee injury. This is a huge blow.

Well that sucks. Makes stuffing the fullback dive just that much more difficult.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 11:43 AM
On the bright side, our other dynamic freshman RB, CJ Wilson is back after missing multiple games, and Wes Genant, the starting center will play today, he was expected to be out due to an injury last week.

God, what an emotional roller coaster. Still down about Krock. That BLOWS.

Theee Catrabbit
December 8th, 2018, 12:25 PM
If the field is that wet, will Jacks run to the direction they are tilting the field?

Lorne_Malvo
December 8th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Krock is a big loss. Sucks for the kid.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Krock is a big loss. Sucks for the kid.

Tyler M on our pregame just said it was non contact injury as well. This SUCKS.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Gotta protect that SuthernPraad tho

Wind Pride > Region Pride ??

JimmyJack
December 8th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Bohannon is an intense dude.

JimmyJack
December 8th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Well that was a terrible pass by Christion.

mmiller_34
December 8th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Welp. This ones over. Good season everyone. PODs #BookIT karma worked for him today.

X-Factor
December 8th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Let’s go Kennesaw!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2018, 01:13 PM
I feel like the ability to throw will actually be an advantage in this weather.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Wind Pride > Region Pride ??

Yeah, I’ll go with that.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Outside of Taryn not stepping into a throw, our line play on offense made me feel pretty good about this so far. As long as the d line starts playing and not thinking and catching blocks I like our chances. All of two drives into the game xlolx

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Outside of Taryn not stepping into a throw, our line play on offense made me feel pretty good about this so far. As long as the d line starts playing and not thinking and catching blocks I like our chances. All of two drives into the game xlolx

I say this and then we get no push. I’m an idiot.

CappinHard
December 8th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Welp, TC needs to wake the ****** up.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:21 PM
Welp, TC needs to wake the ****** up.

Yup

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:22 PM
Just give the ball to Strong every damn play.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2018, 01:23 PM
SDSU will be able to move the ball effectively if the QB can execute some simple pass plays. Guys will get open in this weather...

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:27 PM
NOT the way Jacks fans wanted this to go. Really needed to jump out to a good lead early, not end up in a dogfight against an offense that takes off in the second half.

mmiller_34
December 8th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Going to be hard to beat the refs too!

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2018, 01:28 PM
I think this one is setting up to be a real good one

mmiller_34
December 8th, 2018, 01:29 PM
I think this one is setting up to be a real good one
It’s not even going to be close. KSU too powerful.

kdinva
December 8th, 2018, 01:29 PM
after a KSU fumble, Jacks get a FG........then KSU drives, with the help of 2 15 yard flags, gets inside the SDSU 10, but stall, they kick FG

3-3-----------1:57 in the 1st.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:32 PM
Cade is doing work on the kick returns

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:33 PM
JFC were playing sloppy AF.

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2018, 01:36 PM
yellow rain

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2018, 01:36 PM
JFC were playing sloppy AF.

It's the 1st quarter, in a monsoon against a team you've never seen. All and all SDSU is hanging in. Big 3rd down to start 2Q...

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:37 PM
yellow rain

No kidding. BOTH teams are playing sloppier than the weather. Goodness.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:37 PM
It's the 1st quarter, in a monsoon against a team you've never seen. All and all SDSU is hanging in. Big 3rd down to start 2Q...

To be fair, I did say the only weather that would be an issue would be a monsoon. I need to keep my damn mouth shut

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Pierre Strong. Get used to that name folks.

kdinva
December 8th, 2018, 01:43 PM
SDSU returns the KO to midfield......drives for TD

10-3 Jacks, 12:21 in 2nd

Thumper 76
About time. TD Jacks on a fade to Anderson.

Prolly caught that through some interference

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Great pass and catch for the TD! SDSU looks good!

Outsider1
Great TD catch for SDSU: 10-3.

mmiller_34
December 8th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Lucky to get that in there. Hope the defense can not look as bad as did before.

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2018, 01:48 PM
boy these refs are determined

Go Lehigh TU Owl
KSU QB definitely has a hurt wrist!

mmiller_34
Looks like Rozeboom must have twisted their QB’s wrist.

Outsider1
KSU seems to be controlling the run game pretty well and doing good in the air. Haven't really watched them much before today.

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2018, 01:49 PM
uh oh, Burks holding his left wrist in pain

ddmann
December 8th, 2018, 01:50 PM
Ouch! Having to bring in your backup QB in a quarterfinal is not the preferred path to a surprise victory.

Outsider1
boy these refs are determined

Seems KSU coach certainly didn't like that illegal formation call.....

BisonBacker
I didn't know South Dakota State was a bunch of Nazi's xlolx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29698&stc=1

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:51 PM

Beat me to it

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:53 PM
If we could stop the dive sometime, that’d be neat

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2018, 01:56 PM
He's good at twisting opposing players wrists & ankles xcoffeex

Outsider1
December 8th, 2018, 01:57 PM
Why do they go 4th and 14 with so much time left and a bcakup QB???

kdinva
KSU turns it over on downs at the SDSU 33.........

Go Lehigh TU Owl
If we could stop the dive sometime, that’d be neat

Defense is playing great! SDSU is sitting pretty if they protect the ball.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Defense is playing great! SDSU is sitting pretty if they protect the ball.

Worries me because they’re giving up a lot of empty yards that could end up wearing them down in the second half.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2018, 01:59 PM
This really doesn't appear to be a fair fight.

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Worries me because they’re giving up a lot of empty yards that could end up wearing them down in the second half.

If we are as good as we've been saying, we won't have to worry about wearing down in the second half.

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 02:05 PM
That was way to easy.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2018, 02:06 PM
SDSU is dominating. I don't think KSU has the offense in this weather to comeback...

Theee Catrabbit
That was way to easy.
Nah....Pierre just makes it look easy.....that kid is the real deal

Outsider1
KSU just going to have to play smarter with this SDSU offense and now being out your primary QB. TD again for the Jacks.......

SoDakSA
That was way to easy.

I'm really going to enjoy watching Strong for 3 more years

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Nah....Pierre just makes it look easy.....that kid is the real deal

Really a cripple could have ran through that hole, hell I bet even you could have.

mmiller_34
He's good at twisting opposing players wrists & ankles xcoffeex

Thats what I’m saying...

caribbeanhen

you got nothing to worry about until next Saturday

Thumper 76
That Strong kid might be OK at this football thing....

JimmyJack
December 8th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Really a cripple could have ran through that hole, hell I bet even you could have.

9 yards is the shortest TD run of Strong's year.

Thumper 76
FUMBLE. That’s Jacks ball

Edit: No it’s not. Didnt have possession.

Bison56
Quit celebrating, could have had a turnover

ddmann
You don't see fumble recovery's like that very often.

Outsider1
Game just out of control now.....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Bobbled it just enough to keep the ball in KSU's hands...

mmiller_34
December 8th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Will be overturned. Didn’t have possession before he went out of bounds

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Quit celebrating, could have had a turnover

Yep. HATE celebrations. It’s a DB/WR thing I guess

Outsider1
December 8th, 2018, 02:12 PM
SDSU just blocking, running and attacking at will. KSU got lucky...

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Looks like the Jacks are doing pretty well against the option so far

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 02:13 PM
KSU you're not in the Big South anymore.

mmiller_34
December 8th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Jacks really lucky to be stopping KSU so far. KSU’s southern speed I’m sure will show up here soon.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 02:14 PM

This is our best o line we’ve had

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Oh good a swing pass WHAT WAS THAT TARYN

F'N Hawks
Having watched many versions of the triple option, with Poly being the most times, this Kennesaw version is far down the list. Maybe it's the rain but they are pedestrian.

Bison56
This is our best o line we’ve had

Yeah they are doing a good job, that's what I was saying.

McNeese75
Loss of the starting QB does not bode well for the Owls

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 02:16 PM
Having watched many versions of the triple option, with Poly being the most times, this Kennesaw version is far down the list. Maybe it's the rain but they are pedestrian.

Playing a good defensive team will do that to novelty offenses

X-Factor
December 8th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I hope TC plays like this next week! Assuming the get by KSU which seems to be likely

F'N Hawks
December 8th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Plus the Jacks D is looking really good.

JimmyJack
Not a fan of the USD guy doing color commentary here.

mmiller_34

It’s just that KSU is sluffing it’s hand right now. They’ll show up.

Schism55
December 8th, 2018, 02:18 PM
If Burks is out, this is already over

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2018, 02:19 PM
KSU has a lot of things to figure out at half. I think they were in trouble before Burks went out. SDSU seemed to have a beat on this version of the option.

F'N Hawks
December 8th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Is Burks done for the game?

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 02:24 PM
KSU has a lot of things to figure out at half. I think they were in trouble before Burks went out. SDSU seemed to have a beat on this version of the option.

KSU is going to have to show that SDSU needs to respect the pass. If they don't they might as well let everyone go home and dry out

adamsputnik
December 8th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Don't see any hope of coming back with Burks on the sideline. Crappy way to end the season; I thought we were moving the ball pretty well with him under centre.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2018, 02:26 PM
PASSING
CP-ATT-INT
YDS

Taryn Christion
3-8-1

Wind?

CappinHard
December 8th, 2018, 02:28 PM
PASSING
CP-ATT-INT
YDS

Taryn Christion
3-8-1

Wind?

Nope. Rain. Doesn't rain up here that often.

Outsider1
December 8th, 2018, 02:29 PM
KSU is going to have to show that SDSU needs to respect the pass. If they don't they might as well let everyone go home and dry out

+1

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Love how the announcers said the top rivalry in all of FCS is North Dakota State and South Dakota State :D I'm sure others would argue that bitterly.

Redfield10
December 8th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Jacks really lucky to be stopping KSU so far. KSU’s southern speed I’m sure will show up here soon.

The two best teams in the country are NDSU and SDSU. Even with KSU's QB in there, it wouldn't be a game. SDSU much bigger, better offense, and generally faster....their QB can pass and run if he has to...(doesn't usually have to),,, SDSU can stop the KSU option.

The Missouri Valley is so much better than the Southland. KSU would be lucky to finish fifth in the Missouri Valley.

Redfield10
December 8th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Love how the announcers said the top rivalry in all of FCS is North Dakota State and South Dakota State :D I'm sure others would argue that bitterly.

Can you name a better rivalry? Didn't think you could. LOL.

JimmyJack

Even better, the color commentator is a former Coyote football player.

Bison56
Can you name a better rivalry? Didn't think you could. LOL.

Griz , Cats.

Outsider1
December 8th, 2018, 02:36 PM
The two best teams in the country are NDSU and SDSU. Even with KSU's QB in there, it wouldn't be a game. SDSU much bigger, better offense, and generally faster....their QB can pass and run if he has to...(doesn't usually have to),,, SDSU can stop the KSU option.

The Missouri Valley is so much better than the Southland. KSU would be lucky to finish fifth in the Missouri Valley.

Um, that may be so, but KSU isn't in the Southland Conference.... xrolleyesxxrolleyesx

uni88
December 8th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Can you name a better rivalry? Didn't think you could. LOL.Lehigh / Lafayette
Montana / Montana State
Harvard / Yale
You could make a good argument for a number of "better" rivalries.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Lehigh / Lafayette
Montana / Montana State
Harvard / Yale

I think if you include level of play then SDSU/NDSU is the best right now. There are others that have more tradition

Lorne_Malvo
December 8th, 2018, 02:40 PM
KSU putting a hurt QB back in the game? Wow.

Theee Catrabbit
December 8th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Rozeboom walking off field not a great thing to watch....who will roll NDSU ankles next week?

CappinHard
December 8th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Double concussion. Snyder out for the rest of the game I'm guessing.

Rozeboom out on the same play. Not good.

Hammersmith
December 8th, 2018, 02:45 PM

The quote was actually: "rivalry is the best in FCS, right now." Tough to argue with that. Most of the other great FCS rivalries aren't hot at the moment. Either one or both teams in those rivalries aren't doing well.

Outsider1
December 8th, 2018, 02:46 PM
KSU, if you don't pass you are done, which I think you are already.

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Rozeboom seems to be in a little pain, any idea what happened?

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2018, 02:47 PM

Would be fitting if someone rolled his ankle xlolx

SoDakSA

It looked like he took a helmet right to the hip area. Possibly a pointer?

caribbeanhen

somebody pulled his hair....just a guess

mmiller_34
December 8th, 2018, 02:48 PM

It’s the 12th game of the season for him and he is a MLB.

Theee Catrabbit
December 8th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Bohannon can shake his head...but his boys are barely hanging on

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Best option teams can throw the ball a little bit. Nebraska, ND under Holtz, Paul Johnson teams etc could all generate yards through the air.

ksu_owls
December 8th, 2018, 02:52 PM
It was 10-3 with KSU driving before Burks got hurt. It’s a big loss that we have to be able to handle and win. SDSU is a great team but not having Burks for over a full quarter will be the difference in this game, which isn’t over yet.

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 02:52 PM
It’s the 12th game of the season for him and he is a MLB.

Oh ok

mmiller_34
December 8th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Did you guys see Burks trying to pitch it with the left? No way he comes back in.

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Nice tackling on that playxrolleyesx

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Best option teams can throw the ball a little bit. Nebraska, ND under Holtz, Paul Johnson teams etc could all generate yards through the air.

KSU isnt even trying to pass. To compete with the top programs on a regular basis, they need to have a little balance.

Bison56
Did you guys see Burks trying to pitch it with the left? No way he comes back in.

Did you see him right before the break? I dont think he will be playing.

mmiller_34
Either of these teams would lose by 40 to the Bison. #BookIt

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 02:56 PM
It really is though. In terms of relevance and dislike combined, it absolutely is.

Lehigh / Lafayette
Montana / Montana State
Harvard / Yale

Eh, I mean “better” is subjective. It’s certainly in the conversation with EVERY one of those at minimum. I asked for work off next Friday from my boss in the Twin Cities. He probably couldn’t tell you what level FCS is, or that the teams are FCS and not DII/DI/FBS. I mentioned NDSU/SDSU and his response was “Say no more”.

mmiller_34
December 8th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Did you see him right before the break? I dont think he will be playing.

Yeah. No way.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 02:57 PM

Don’t lie, it’s because you’re surprised SDSU is doing an OK job stopping it xlolx

mmiller_34
For what it’s worth #2 can’t pitch to his left either

BisonBacker
Gotta catch that ball!

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 02:58 PM
You have to catch that.

Outsider1
KSU isnt even trying to pass. To compete with the top programs on a regular basis, they need to have a little balance.

Which is why KSU is done, even if Burks wasn't out. KSU may be good with the option, but playing too one dimensionally against a team like SDSU is suicide.

dewey
Gotta catch that ball!

Absolutely need to make that catch. Nice throw by the QB.

Dewey

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Uh-oh...if the passing game starts up this is gonna get ugly.

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 02:59 PM
This game is over.

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Well I'll be switching over to the EWU game this ones over already.

dewey
I have only watched the 2nd half but boy the KSU defense is not very good. Missed tackles and blown coverages.

Dewey

Theee Catrabbit
1 more score. One of the better defenses we've played....but rain may be part of it

Thumper 76
Taryn can be off in his passing, but his Russell Wilson-esq escapability is the difference in SDSU being top 10 and top 5 in the country.

adamsputnik
December 8th, 2018, 03:01 PM
What other basic crap can the Owls screw up today? Might be the only remaining entertainment as I watch us getting our teeth kicked in. And watching our best players get injured.

mmiller_34
December 8th, 2018, 03:01 PM
Well I'll be switching over to the EWU game this ones over already.

Yeah. I’d say for you guys the key to the game to beat KSU next week will be to twist #3’s wrist.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2018, 03:02 PM
I have only watched the 2nd half but boy the KSU defense is not very good. Missed tackles and blown coverages.

Dewey

They bring a blitz all the time. Taryn escaping from the late blitz is causing the open man to be found.

Theee Catrabbit
December 8th, 2018, 03:03 PM
KSU has good goal line defense

X-Factor
December 8th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Jacks going to put this game away with a fg

Redfield10
December 8th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Lehigh / Lafayette
Montana / Montana State
Harvard / Yale

Laughable. None have two teams consistently at the top of the FCS.

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Why not run it?

kdinva
December 8th, 2018, 03:06 PM
after three possessions and three punts in the 3rd period, SDSU gets to the Owl 2 yard line......go backwards....settle for FG.

20-3 wabbits, 2:16 in the 3rd

Live stats here:

https://www.ncaa.com/game/football/fcs/2018/12/08/south-dakota-st-kennesaw-st/play-by-play