PDA

View Full Version : Quarterfinal: #7 Maine @ #2 Weber State

Pages : [1] 2

MTfan4life
December 1st, 2018, 10:05 PM
Game Date/Time: Friday December 7th @ 6:00 MST (local time) ESPN2

First team to 20 wins? Will either team make it that far?

Which coach will give a better pep talk or even better win in a brawl?

This should be a very intriguing battle among two of the top defenses in the country.

katss07
December 1st, 2018, 11:34 PM
I’m already very excited for this one! Should be a slugfest, although both teams scored in bunches today. Huge game for both teams. Trust me, when an FCS team outside of NDSU or JMU gets attention from an ESPN it is a huge deal.

I’ll say Weber wins 24-23. Super excited.

I Bleed Purple
December 2nd, 2018, 01:05 AM
Friday night is bad. May have to miss due to work. Have to decide whether or not to pay to watch maybe the second half in person.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 06:20 AM
Friday night is bad. May have to miss due to work. Have to decide whether or not to pay to watch maybe the second half in person.

Take a sick day Friday....xnodx

Weber wins this with defense.

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 2nd, 2018, 09:03 AM
Maine fans will have no problem with a 8pm Friday nite and won't even have to stream it. GO Black Bears!!!!

maine612
December 2nd, 2018, 09:38 AM
Ugh. I will have to watch most of this on my phone as I will be sitting in bleachers watching a varsity basketball game. Crappy timing. However, I am not complaining. Very exciting to see Maine in the national quarters. Should be a great one.

Terry2889
December 2nd, 2018, 09:44 AM
Good luck Black Bears!

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 2nd, 2018, 09:47 AM
Ugh. I will have to watch most of this on my phone as I will be sitting in bleachers watching a varsity basketball game. Crappy timing. However, I am not complaining. Very exciting to see Maine in the national quarters. Should be a great one.

612, sorry about hoop the game but certainly understand. Hoping the University may put the game on at the Alfond or student union would make for a great environment for watching, you agree?

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 2nd, 2018, 09:53 AM
Good luck Black Bears!

Thanks for the good thoughts Terry, as you know when we win even the very casual fan watches something like this as every citizen of the state becomes a fan. Sort of a side benefit to live in a state that has only one D1 school.xnodx

Daytripper
December 2nd, 2018, 09:59 AM
Maine in a close one.

Rjones61
December 2nd, 2018, 10:16 AM
I love the Big Sky, but I hope Maine wins so I can read another round of people complaining about our turf.

NDSUtk
December 2nd, 2018, 10:21 AM
I honestly have no idea what to expect in this game. I picked Weber when I did my original full bracket but that was because I had them playing Jax State. Maine vs. Weber...hmm.

Weber by 6 with the home field.

kdinva
December 2nd, 2018, 10:22 AM
Weber wins a close one......

maine612
December 2nd, 2018, 10:28 AM
Totally agree. I remember watching the 1993 hockey championship in the old Bears Den in the basement of the Union. Fantastic environment. I'll be watching my son play so not really a choice. It is quite possible I am home to watch the final quarter.

I Bleed Purple
December 2nd, 2018, 11:15 AM
Take a sick day Friday....xnodx

Weber wins this with defense.

I don't really have that option...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 2nd, 2018, 11:21 AM
If I could attend any game this weekend it would be this one! I think Maine is able to find a way to get the win. This feels like a big time inter-sectional playoff game with both teams capable of reaching Frisco.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 11:25 AM
If I could attend any game this weekend it would be this one! I think Maine is able to find a way to get the win. This feels like a big time inter-sectional playoff game with both teams capable of reaching Frisco.

This would be a fun one to attend.

Long cross country trip for Maine.

MTfan4life
December 2nd, 2018, 03:09 PM
If you want to beat Weber, you're going to need to be able to pass the ball well. I don't know if Maine has that in their arsenal. Fortunately for the Bears, they also have a pretty stout defense that will make you pass the ball to beat them. It'll end up being a battle of the two teams' weaknesses, their passing attack. I'd give the slight advantage to Constantine with the way he's been playing lately.

Ivytalk
December 2nd, 2018, 08:03 PM
Weber by 4.

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 2nd, 2018, 08:13 PM
If you want to beat Weber, you're going to need to be able to pass the ball well. I don't know if Maine has that in their arsenal. Fortunately for the Bears, they also have a pretty stout defense that will make you pass the ball to beat them. It'll end up being a battle of the two teams' weaknesses, their passing attack. I'd give the slight advantage to Constantine with the way he's been playing lately.

Not knowledgeable on Weber but we just passed for 5 TD's against what was the 4th best D in FCS so Maine can put some points on the board. So hard to judge teams and leagues that never cross over. Any cross over between the Big Sky and the OVC???

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 08:27 PM
Not knowledgeable on Weber but we just passed for 5 TD's against what was the 4th best D in FCS so Maine can put some points on the board. So hard to judge teams and leagues that never cross over. Any cross over between the Big Sky and the OVC???

4th best Defense in FCS? I guess we can put that claim in the shredder now, this is what makes the FCS playoffs so much fun

Weber State is no Joke sonville State now

mainejeff
December 2nd, 2018, 10:36 PM
I think that Maine matches up well with the Big Sky teams. Turnovers, untimely penalties and missed FGs could determine the outcome of this one.

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 3rd, 2018, 11:50 AM
Nice overview on Maine and matchup with Weber.
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-playoffs-2018-jacksonville-state-maine-ajaj

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2018, 12:11 PM
NEC officiating crew in this one according to refstripes (http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=913e3029fa0f1215c356b7d30e066b d3&topic=14211.msg143754#msg143754). An NEC crew (I believe it'll be the same one) officiated the Wofford/Elon 1st round game.

maine612
December 3rd, 2018, 03:29 PM
Are there any Weber State folks on AGS?

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2018, 03:34 PM
Here's an expanded look at the team stats comparison and corresponding national ranks for the teams in this matchup.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4829/45253897335_f51ef872ae_b.jpg

maine612
December 3rd, 2018, 04:10 PM
Here's an expanded look at the team stats comparison and corresponding national ranks for the teams in this matchup.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4829/45253897335_f51ef872ae_b.jpg

Very close in many areas. Maine rushing D stands out.... thanks for sharing

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 3rd, 2018, 06:55 PM
Scary how similar the stats are for these two teams. Don't like winning the penalty stat but feel we have made huge strides in this area since the Rhody and W&M games.

I Bleed Purple
December 4th, 2018, 12:16 AM

Do you read threads?

I Bleed Purple
December 4th, 2018, 01:30 AM
That said, aside from me, none.

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2018, 07:37 AM

.....ON SABBATICAL........ALWAYS WONDERED.....WHY DUH RELIGIOUS SKOOLS........HAVE AS MANY PERSONAL FOUL CALLS........AS DUH HEATHENS......xdontknowx.......AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2018, 07:55 AM
.....DON'T PUT TOO MUCH STOCK...IN......"DUH BEARS"....OFFENSIVE EXPLOSION..........ME.....&...HENNY......&....MAH NEXT DOOR.....4 YEAR OL' TWIN GIRLS (DOUBLE CUTIES)........COODAH HUNG DAT MUCH....ON DEM....ALABAMA.....TELLLA-TUBBIES...............BRAWK!

maine612
December 4th, 2018, 08:52 AM
.....DON'T PUT TOO MUCH STOCK...IN......"DUH BEARS"....OFFENSIVE EXPLOSION..........ME.....&...HENNY......&....MAH NEXT DOOR.....4 YEAR OL' TWIN GIRLS (DOUBLE CUTIES)........COODAH HUNG DAT MUCH....ON DEM....ALABAMA.....TELLLA-TUBBIES...............BRAWK!

Maine won't win this game with offense. Need to shut down Weber. I have no idea if this is possible....but for Maine to win it needs to be 24-21 type of game.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you read threads?

More than most Wildcat fans it seems. Sorry I missed you.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Maine won't win this game with offense. Need to shut down Weber. I have no idea if this is possible....but for Maine to win it needs to be 24-21 type of game.

I think these two teams are pretty similar. Good/great defenses with suspect offenses. I think either team will be hard pressed to score more than 24 so the game should be right around what you're describing.

The thing that I think may be the difference is that, on paper, it looks like Weber St is better on special teams and is more disciplined in terms of penalties. Those "hidden yards" might be the difference in a game that looks like it'll be a defensive slugfest.

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 4th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I think these two teams are pretty similar. Good/great defenses with suspect offenses. I think either team will be hard pressed to score more than 24 so the game should be right around what you're describing.

The thing that I think may be the difference is that, on paper, it looks like Weber St is better on special teams and is more disciplined in terms of penalties. Those "hidden yards" might be the difference in a game that looks like it'll be a defensive slugfest.

Weber St. may have more yards on special teams but they won't win that battle if they kick to Electric Erniexnodx

Nice article in the Bangor Daily about this past weekend's game and the alumni that made the trip from NJ to Maine, this is why Maine has success.

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/12/04/sports/umaine-sports/former-umaine-football-players-cheer-brilliant-fcs-playoff-win/

I Bleed Purple
December 4th, 2018, 11:28 AM

Man, you'd have to go way back to Saturday night the last time Weber played an OVC school.

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 4th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Man, you'd have to go way back to Saturday night the last time Weber played an OVC school.

You are just a ray of sunshinexbowx Did not know they were a OVC member.

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2018, 03:57 PM
You are just a ray of sunshinexbowx Did not know they were a OVC member.

....YOUSE CAME TA RIGHT PLACE FO' EDUCATION...YOGI........IFIN' YA DON'T KNOW IT.......POSTERS.....WILL GLADLY SHOVE YER SNOUT INTA IT.........AWK!

KPSUL
December 4th, 2018, 07:05 PM

You must not have been watching Weber last Saturday: 8 penalties for 87 yards, including at least 2 totally pointless "un-sportsman like" calls. They also got away with a lot of taunting and excessive talking s_ _ _. Very physical and emotional team, but disciplined? Not in their first playoff game.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2018, 07:11 PM
You must not have been watching Weber last Saturday: 8 penalties for 87 yards, including at least 2 totally pointless "un-sportsman like" calls. They also got away with a lot of taunting and excessive talking s_ _ _. Very physical and emotional team, but disciplined? Not in their first playoff game.
Their season average is roughly 6 penalties for 61 yards which is 57th and 69th in the FCS, respectively. Maine is averaging almost 9 penalties a game for 84 yards which is 111th and 115th in the FCS, respectively. So it's not so much that Weber has been that disciplined it's that Maine hasn't been.

KPSUL
December 4th, 2018, 07:32 PM
Their season average is roughly 6 penalties for 61 yards which is 57th and 69th in the FCS, respectively. Maine is averaging almost 9 penalties a game for 84 yards which is 111th and 115th in the FCS, respectively. So it's not so much that Weber has been that disciplined it's that Maine hasn't been.

I watched both playoff games last Saturday and Weber clearly appeared to be the less disciplined team. Now maybe the Weber guys will come out like Mormon Tabernacle choir boys this Friday evening to compensate for their bad behavior last weekend. I'm very familiar with Joe Harasymiak coached Maine teams having seen them play in person a number of times and even more on TV. They play a physical hard-nosed style of football and no doubt get there share of penalties; however, I don't recall a lot of stupid stuff after the whistle blows.

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 4th, 2018, 08:59 PM

Maine went thru a midseason 2-3 game spell averaging 12+ penalties against Rhody and W&M. Fans were upset to say the least and Coach H came out publicaly and said anymore BS and players would be benched. It seemed to have worked as they have played alot more disciplined. The one we have to watch is Electirc Ernie as he can still get a misconduct at anytime like last w/e.xeyebrowx

AggieFinn
December 5th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Picking Maine for selfish reasons. Weber plays lights out on D. Should be a great game, will be watching in full Friday night.

maine612
December 5th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Picking Maine for selfish reasons. Weber plays lights out on D. Should be a great game, will be watching in full Friday night.

Probably the same reason I am cheering for Davis!! Me to wife: "Hey honey, want to go to Napa next weekend?" this will get an "absolutely" response. Even better if we can bring some wine into the stadium with us.

Herder
December 5th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Good matchup. I would take Maine at home, and Weber at home. That's a tough commute, so I'll go with Weber. The logistics have to be a little tough on this one. Does anyone know the path? (maybe it's been discussed)

Orono-Detroit (or Boston)
Detroit-SLC
SLC-Ogden (flight or bus)

For a Friday night game, that's a haul.

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Good matchup. I would take Maine at home, and Weber at home. That's a tough commute, so I'll go with Weber. The logistics have to be a little tough on this one. Does anyone know the path? (maybe it's been discussed)

Orono-Detroit (or Boston)
Detroit-SLC
SLC-Ogden (flight or bus)

For a Friday night game, that's a haul.
For the fans it'll be a mess I'm sure. The team will charter a direct flight.

Grizalltheway
December 5th, 2018, 05:28 PM
For the fans it'll be a mess I'm sure. The team will charter a direct flight.

And you certainly wouldn't take a flight from SLC to Odgen. It's 40 miles away.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2018, 05:32 PM
I'm surprised the vote is so close with it being a home game for Weber.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2018, 06:59 PM

probably because there is only one Weber fan on AGS.... And CAA bias..... `I think Weber will win this one going away late

mainejeff
December 5th, 2018, 07:47 PM

This isn't NDSU vs. Colgate.

TheKingpin28
December 5th, 2018, 07:54 PM

No ****. It's WSU vs Maine.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2018, 07:58 PM

xrolleyesx

My point is that it is a long cross country trip for Maine and Weber has been really good at home.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 5th, 2018, 08:19 PM
xrolleyesx

My point is that it is a long cross country trip for Maine and Weber has been really good at home.

If there's one East Coast team that can handle a busy travel schedule it's Maine. Due to their isolation, they basically operate as a Big Sky team within the CAA. The only CAA schools within 400 miles of their campus are UNH and URI. Albany falls just outside busing territory. They've logged a ton of frequent flier miles this season...

This should be a great game! Weber is physical but Maine is tough too...

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2018, 08:20 PM
xrolleyesx

Some EWU and UC Davis fans probably voting with their hearts instead of their heads also. They want another home game if they win their quarterfinal.

I Bleed Purple
December 5th, 2018, 08:50 PM
probably because there is only one Weber fan on AGS.... And CAA bias..... `I think Weber will win this one going away late

And I haven't even voted.

I Bleed Purple
December 5th, 2018, 08:59 PM
There have been a couple of Weber posters over the years I've paid attention to this board. They came in, then left when the other board was gaining traction.

Weber State football is a novelty, not a fandom. Even I don't care THAT much. I just happen to be good at analyzing football, like sports, and have Weber as my alma mater.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2018, 09:01 PM
what is the weather forecast? how much snow.....

I Bleed Purple
December 5th, 2018, 09:09 PM
34 as a high on Friday, so below freezing at kickoff. Snowed today, but no expectations of any more this week.

Bisonwinagn
December 5th, 2018, 10:45 PM
Did Maine get seeded?

I Bleed Purple
December 5th, 2018, 10:55 PM
Did Maine get seeded?

If only there were thread titles.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2018, 03:38 AM
34 as a high on Friday, so below freezing at kickoff. Snowed today, but no expectations of any more this week.

thanks, not that bad I guess

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 6th, 2018, 07:49 AM

5F this morning in Orono so the Black Bears will love playing in the heatxeyebrowx

Have no idea how this game turns out but from the stats it should be even and this Maine team is playing with a ton of confidence and still a chip on the shoulder, remember this team was picked 8th in the conference. Also having played 7 out of 11 games on the road with 2 FBS schools so I don't think it is a big advantage to Weber St.
Here is a local article in today's Bangor Daily News about the OL which was our question mark along with the running game which have surprised everyone as to well they have performed.

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/12/06/sports/dobson-a-slam-dunk-on-offensive-line-for-surging-umaine-football-team/

Bisonator
December 6th, 2018, 08:09 AM
This should be a great game. Weber isn't your typical BSC team, they play stout defense and are tough to beat at home. It's a tough task for Maine to travel cross country on a short week.

MR. CHICKEN
December 6th, 2018, 11:57 AM
This should be a great game. Weber isn't your typical BSC team, they play stout defense and are tough to beat at home. It's a tough task for Maine to travel cross country on a short week.

......WELP.......N. COLORADO....HUNG 28.....ON DUH DWEBERS.....BOBCAT'S 24.....SEMO 23...ON DUH HOME COURT......AN' VISITIN'.....GAVE UP 30 TA...... NORFF DAKOTA....&....24.....IN ARIZONA....ALDOUGH DEY HAD SOME IMPRESSIVES....LIKE AGIN'....E. WASH.........SO LOOKS LIKE WILDCAT'S SOMETIMES.....HAVE DERE DEMONS...&....GIVE UP DIGITS...........MAH OWN-LAH ??....IS DID..."DUH BEARS"......PEAK LAST WEEK.........SIMILAR.....TA.....SOUFF DAKOTA STATE'S......MELT-DOWN.....AGIN'......JMU............BRAWK!

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2018, 12:25 PM
......WELP.......N. COLORADO....HUNG 28.....ON DUH DWEBERS.....BOBCAT'S 24.....SEMO 23...ON DUH HOME COURT......AN' VISITIN'.....GAVE UP 30 TA...... NORFF DAKOTA....&....24.....IN ARIZONA....ALDOUGH DEY HAD SOME IMPRESSIVES....LIKE AGIN'....E. WASH.........SO LOOKS LIKE WILDCAT'S SOMETIMES.....HAVE DERE DEMONS...&....GIVE UP DIGITS...........MAH OWN-LAH ??....IS DID..."DUH BEARS"......PEAK LAST WEEK.........SIMILAR.....TA.....SOUFF DAKOTA STATE'S......MELT-DOWN.....AGIN'......JMU............BRAWK!

Almost any Big Sky offense is probably better than Maine's...BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
December 6th, 2018, 12:29 PM

........HOW COME MORE..OF 'EM..........WEREN'T IN DUH DANCE?.....xsighx.....AWK!

Bisonator
December 6th, 2018, 12:32 PM
........HOW COME MORE..OF 'EM..........WEREN'T IN DUH DANCE?.....xsighx.....AWK!
Bacause the CAA took up a quarter of the field and now only 1 remains. xsmiley_wix

MR. CHICKEN
December 6th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Bacause the CAA took up a quarter of the field and now only 1 remains. xsmiley_wix

#18 DELAWARE LOST TA #7 JMU...............ON ROAD
#19 EON..........LOST TA #11 WOFFORD.....BARELY....WHIFF DEPLETED ROSTER ON ROAD
#15 STONY BROOK LOST TA #23 SEMO.......ON DUH ROAD.........UH PLACE THUMPER SAYS....IS UH DIFFERENT ANIMAL....WHEN STANDIN' UP FO' JACKS QB's...POOR OUTIN'...AWK!
TOWSON WAS OWN-LAH TURKEY......AN' BAD WEATHERAH...WAS UH FACTOR........AWK!
JMU LOSES ON LAST SECOND FG ON ROAD....WHIFF COACHIN' ISSUE.......LIKE YA'S....DEFENDED C. ARKANSAS....AGIN' NEW HAMPSHIRE...FO'....LAST SEASON....AWK!

WOODN'T UH SENSIBLE PERSON.....FIGURE #18 LOSIN' TA #7 ON DUH ROAD AFTERAH AN ICE STORM......IS EXPECTED?
"............................................"....FIGURE #19 LOSIN' TA #11 ON DUH ROAD...WHIFF STARTERS OUT.......IS EXPECTED?
STONY'S LOSS TA SEMO...ON ROAD.......EVERAH-BODAH WHO VOTES FO' AGS POLL......CLAIMED #15 THRU #25.....WAS UH CRAP-SHOOT!

AGIN'....TAGGERS WERE OWN-LAH TURKEY!

Bisonator
December 6th, 2018, 12:57 PM
#18 DELAWARE LOST TA #7 JMU...............ON ROAD
#19 EON..........LOST TA #11 WOFFORD.....BARELY....WHIFF DEPLETED ROSTER ON ROAD
#15 STONY BROOK LOST TA #23 SEMO.......ON DUH ROAD.........UH PLACE THUMPER SAYS....IS UH DIFFERENT ANIMAL....WHEN STANDIN' UP FO' JACKS QB's...POOR OUTIN'...AWK!
TOWSON WAS OWN-LAH TURKEY......AN' BAD WEATHERAH...WAS UH FACTOR........AWK!
JMU LOSES ON LAST SECOND FG ON ROAD....WHIFF COACHIN' ISSUE.......LIKE YA'S....DEFENDED C. ARKANSAS....AGIN' NEW HAMPSHIRE...FO'....LAST SEASON....AWK!

WOODN'T UH SENSIBLE PERSON.....FIGURE #18 LOSIN' TA #7 ON DUH ROAD AFTERAH AN ICE STORM......IS EXPECTED?
"............................................"....FIGURE #19 LOSIN' TA #11 ON DUH ROAD...WHIFF STARTERS OUT.......IS EXPECTED?
STONY'S LOSS TA SEMO...ON ROAD.......EVERAH-BODAH WHO VOTES FO' AGS POLL......CLAIMED #15 THRU #25.....WAS UH CRAP-SHOOT!

AGIN'....TAGGERS WERE OWN-LAH TURKEY!
Like I said in the other massacre thread, that's a lot of excuses and it's funny how those CAA teams had their worst games of the season at the same time in the playoffs against non-CAA teams.

MR. CHICKEN
December 6th, 2018, 02:27 PM
HIGHER RATED....SUPPOSED TA BEAT....LOWER RATED.....DAT SIMPLE..........SPIN AWAY.....AWK!

dewey
December 6th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Here is a hype video from the Main Black Bears.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/928863-WATCH-Maine-channels-Rolex-wearing-Ric-Flair-for-FCS-playoffs-hype-video

Dewey

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2018, 03:03 PM

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/fans-of-the-indianapolis-colts-holds-up-a-sign-d-fence-during-the-nfl-picture-id72162396

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2018, 05:11 PM

until they get out of the Big sky

CAA plays some Defense

Big Sky not so much

Schism55
December 6th, 2018, 05:30 PM
https://twitter.com/HEROSportsHerd/status/1070780618282274818
Nice read

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2018, 05:40 PM

CAA plays some Defense

Big Sky not so much

There's recent historical examples that both support and rebut this assertion. xpeacex

I Bleed Purple
December 6th, 2018, 09:16 PM
HIGHER RATED....SUPPOSED TA BEAT....LOWER RATED.....DAT SIMPLE..........SPIN AWAY.....AWK!
So you expect Weber to win handily. I understand.

I Bleed Purple
December 6th, 2018, 09:20 PM

Or play Weber.

As I posted in another thread. Weber's opponents gain significantly fewer yards then their yearly average. UNC was the only one to come close. SEMO and USD were no different.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2018, 09:22 PM

IMO, Weber by 2 scores or more.

I Bleed Purple
December 6th, 2018, 09:25 PM

Offense isn't the only way to score points.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO, Weber by 2 scores or more.

Not going to be surprised what happens. And I won't be able to analyze results anyway since I'll be at work for most of the game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2018, 09:27 PM
Offense isn't the only way to score points.

- - - Updated - - -

Not going to be surprised what happens. And I won't be able to analyze results anyway since I'll be at work for most of the game.

I'm biased on good/great defenses and Weber has a good one!

Schism55
December 7th, 2018, 01:53 AM
Really looking forward to this. Should be a good punch in the face contest xdrunkyx

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2018, 05:55 AM

.....AH SAID.....SUPPOSED TA.......BUT IN SOME SITUATIONS.........AGS......COOD BE APPLIED........AWK!

maine612
December 7th, 2018, 07:35 AM
I'm biased on good/great defenses and Weber has a good one!

I believe Maine has a higher rated defense in a better conference. I could be wrong and data can be skewed. I think these defenses are likely equal. I also think the offenses are similar. It will come down to special teams, turnovers, and maybe even the bounce of a ball.

jsualumnus
December 7th, 2018, 07:38 AM
My aunt, a big Weber State fan, who also lives up on the mountain above the stadium, said she heard a Bear was going to be euthanized, and his ass was gonna be taken back to Maine after the game. Just funny hearing an old lady get fired up about her team. Good luck to both schools, but Weber is strong this year.

maine612
December 7th, 2018, 07:45 AM
My aunt, a big Weber State fan, who also lives up on the mountain above the stadium, said she heard a Bear was going to be euthanized, and his ass was gonna be taken back to Maine after the game. Just funny hearing an old lady get fired up about her team. Good luck to both schools, but Weber is strong this year.

I think that is pretty awesome. Probably also the kind of hospitable fan that would offer a plate of cookies to the Maine guys after a hard fought game..even in defeat. Great fans rule.

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone comment on Weber's kicking game? If it comes down to a late field goal, where do the Wildcats have to be on the field for them to feel confident in a make?

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 7th, 2018, 09:14 AM

That is funny. But if a Wildcat is gonna take down a Black Bear can u imagine the carnage on a Gamecockxthumbsupx

I Bleed Purple
December 7th, 2018, 11:38 AM
I think that is pretty awesome. Probably also the kind of hospitable fan that would offer a plate of cookies to the Maine guys after a hard fought game..even in defeat. Great fans rule.

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone comment on Weber's kicking game? If it comes down to a late field goal, where do the Wildcats have to be on the field for them to feel confident in a make?

2nd team Big Sky, though I'd say mainly due to how good he was last year.

Money up to 40 yards, but he's been spraying it past that this year for some reason.

Can kick low 50s, though unlikely in the cold.

ngineer
December 7th, 2018, 11:55 AM
Remember the Maine! 27-24

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Should be a good game, just in time as I am kind of jonesing for some football.

grizband
December 7th, 2018, 03:37 PM
Remember the Maine! 27-24
I've got Weber winning with the same score!

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2018, 05:52 PM
uh oh, might have to head down to the local cantina and try to talk the bartender to put on ESPN2

Cut the cable this year, been able to watch alot of football via the Roku on Espn3 with only internet service

got Watch Espn as a backup and also the ESPN app but I have a bad feeling game will the game will not be available on those without cable subscription

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2018, 06:08 PM
....OWN-LAH ONE HOUR TA GO!......B/4......................"DUH BEARS"...........xhypedx........BRAWK!

maine612
December 7th, 2018, 06:40 PM
....OWN-LAH ONE HOUR TA GO!......B/4......................"DUH BEARS"...........xhypedx........BRAWK!

21 minutes. Very fired up. Let's go Maine!!!!

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Could it take any longer, having playoff withdrawal here.xnodx

Schism55
December 7th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Let's gooooooo!

katss07
December 7th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Weber moving the ball. Near midfield

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 07:14 PM
After a great start looks like Weber is forced to punt.

Schism55
December 7th, 2018, 07:14 PM
Nice stand by Maine D, huge sack

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 07:15 PM
Huge sack by Maine taking Weber out of FG range, Weber to punt on first drive.

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Great commentary for this one.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Maine just needs to execute. There's plays to be had.

I like the way the Black Bears look overall given the stakes and unfamiliar location. These games you just have to survive the initial wave.

Schism55
December 7th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Maine QB eerily reminds me of Neil O'Donnell lol

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 07:20 PM
Weber D steps up and forces a quck punt right back though. Really wonder what the score will be like. WOnder if more scoring will come in the 2nd half? Both teams still feeling each other out right now.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2018, 07:21 PM
Maine QB eerily reminds me of Neil O'Donnell lol

Struggling with the Rick Ankiel high ball right now. Better thank the Donovan McNabb ankle bangers.

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2018, 07:21 PM
Forest fire alert

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 07:25 PM
So far Weber is winning the field position battle.

Schism55
December 7th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Struggling with the Rick Ankiel high ball right now. Better thank the Donovan McNabb ankle bangers.
I meant physically haha, but now that you mention it, his play is pretty commensurate with Neil as well xdrunkyx

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2018, 07:30 PM
This one might finish with 10 TP.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2018, 07:32 PM
There's some cold weather speed out there....

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 07:32 PM
Weber QB may be done

AggieFinn
December 7th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Weber QB may be done

Not just yet

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 07:37 PM
Weber still winning the field position, but not making anything out of it. Constantine ain't out yet. He'll keep massaging that hamstring as long as he can.

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2018, 07:41 PM
I think both of these teams would give NDSU a run for their money.

Schism55
December 7th, 2018, 07:41 PM
Not just yet
https://giphy.com/gifs/b6iVj3IM54Abm

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2018, 07:43 PM
https://giphy.com/gifs/b6iVj3IM54Abm
Man I miss watching good old pro wrastlin'.

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 07:44 PM
Weber finally scores first with a FG: 3-0 Weber.

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 07:44 PM
I think both of these teams would give NDSU a run for their money.
Because you are a griz crackhead. So far this is bad football.

katss07
December 7th, 2018, 07:47 PM
I’m not sure this is bad football...I think both Maine and Weber are talented teams with great defenses who could hang with the Bison.

jmu007
December 7th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Nothing says big time college football like a track around the field.

anyways... go Maine.

grizband
December 7th, 2018, 07:49 PM

I’m not sure this is bad football...I think both Maine and Weber are talented teams with great defenses who could hang with the Bison.
This. Weber hung with James Madison last year, and this year's team is even better. Just because it's not NDSU, doesn't mean it's bad...

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 07:54 PM
This is definitely not bad football. This is two good teams pressuring each other well. Each team is having to figure out how they will do just enough with that pressure to move past the other. You won't have a lot of big plays in a game like this.

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 07:55 PM
This. Weber hung with James Madison last year, and this year's team is even better. Just because it's not NDSU, doesn't mean it's bad...

Both teams right now look like 50% of what they were last week. Its got nothing to do with NDSU.

Bison56
It's called good defense, you dunce.

F'N Hawks
At what point of the game will Maine cross midfield? I am thinking end of the third, maybe.

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 07:56 PM
It's called good defense, you dunce.
No its called bad football you moron.

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2018, 07:56 PM
You should really start thinking before you hit submit.

semobison
December 7th, 2018, 07:57 PM
Maine CAAn't get anything going on offense!

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 7th, 2018, 07:57 PM
A stop...may just give Maine field position.

semobison
December 7th, 2018, 07:58 PM
No its called bad football you moron.

Give it it a rest. Both teams defenses are playing well!

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 07:59 PM
You should really start thinking before you hit submit.
I have watched every Maine and every Weber game this year. I know what they are, tonight is not what either team is. Its not a knock on their program, its saying they are both playing poorly today. You should just click the x in the corner until you have something to contribute other than nonsense.

F'N Hawks
December 7th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Shoot, right when I make my snarky comment Maine gets setup near the 50. Damn. This is ALOT of defense right now.

katss07
December 7th, 2018, 08:02 PM
I have watched every Maine and every Weber game this year. I know what they are, tonight is not what either team is. Its not a knock on their program, its saying they are both playing poorly today. You should just click the x in the corner until you have something to contribute other than nonsense.
You must be unemployed or something.

Schism55
December 7th, 2018, 08:03 PM
Maine doesn't have the speed to go side to side on this Weber D

grizband
December 7th, 2018, 08:04 PM

I am fairly certain that every Maine and Weber game haven't been televised; so...

Bison56

He has a great football mind.xcoffeex

Lorne_Malvo

I retired very young.

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 08:06 PM
I am fairly certain that every Maine and Weber game haven't been televised; so...

Ever heard of Pluto or BSS? So...?

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2018, 08:06 PM
You should learn how to express your opinions without insisting that they're facts.

ksu_owls
December 7th, 2018, 08:07 PM
Why can’t we have good games on national television...

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 08:07 PM
This is just what happens when you get two teams that seem to be so evenly matched and HOW they match up against each other. You can watch two teams all you want when they are against different teams and still have what you have tonight. I like seeing games like this every now and then because you see what a team will need to do to get it done when it seems nothing you do is accomplishing much. What will you do differently?

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 7th, 2018, 08:08 PM
Doesn't appear that Weber can do that against Maine either.

AggieFinn
December 7th, 2018, 08:08 PM
Good game. All D and field position, so what.

dewey
December 7th, 2018, 08:09 PM

Sounds like a great game.

Dewey

katss07
December 7th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Why can’t we have good games on national television...
This is a close defensive battle. Colgate/NDSU could’ve been on tonight, look on the bright side!

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2018, 08:10 PM
Yep. Great old school December playoff game.

jmu007
December 7th, 2018, 08:13 PM
Will be interesting to see if losing a LG impacts Weber. Sack fumble may change this game at this rate.

Outsider1

+100

Grizalltheway
Boy I hope the Griz and Black Bears meet up in the playoffs in the near future. Kindred states.

ksu_owls
This is a close defensive battle. Colgate/NDSU could’ve been on tonight, look on the bright side!
You right....

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 08:14 PM
Maine moving the ball on this drive.

semobison

I agree, great game so far!

Outsider1
Bears finding a way right now to get some yardage. Keep moving the ball consistantly like this and Weber could be in trouble.

grizband
I miss those...:(

It's currently 12 degrees in Missoula; would make for an amazing atmosphere!

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Lol. No it isnt.

ksu_owls
December 7th, 2018, 08:16 PM
I’m 200% sure this is not how the SDSU/KSU game will go tomorrow. We’ll either be losing by 14 at this point or it will be like 21-28

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 08:16 PM
Weber just about had a pick 6.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Great drive by Maine!!

clawman
December 7th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Maine's offense was waiting for the band to get set up!

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2018, 08:18 PM
Is this guy the second coming of Lakes? Posting styles and obnoxious insults are eerily similar.

Outsider1
These teams are figuring each other out. If the review holds, that was a great play by the Bears.

ksu_owls
Ayyyy! The flood gates may be opening!??

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 7th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Field position flipped..Maine capitalized....

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 08:20 PM
Now 7-3: Bears with 2 minutes in the half.

clawman
December 7th, 2018, 08:22 PM
I miss those...:(

It's currently 12 degrees in Missoula; would make for an amazing atmosphere!

Yep, Msla folks call those the good ole days

grizband
December 7th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Ever heard of Pluto or BSS? So...?
My mistake, I didn't realize Root Sports broadcast into the mid-west.

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 08:23 PM

Root is on Kodi.

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 08:25 PM
Twice no flag?

katss07
December 7th, 2018, 08:26 PM
Some TV Packages have Root Sports included. Still don’t know how in the world someone is able to watch every Weber and Maine game.

dbackjon
Twice no flag?
Yup

Outsider1
Maine is going to just kneel and take it to the half.

Prime Power
December 7th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Twice no flag?

Only the second one deserved a flag...maybe.

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Yup

1st was not PI, second was at the LOS, where blocking is legal.
Rules matter.

veinup
December 7th, 2018, 08:30 PM
are weebs fans booing the Maine marching band? lol

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Still a good 1st half. Can't wait for the 2nd. Will the defenses keep holding or will we see some seeping?

clawman
December 7th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Maine definitely has Mr Mo going for them right now

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2018, 08:36 PM
Good 1st half. Two very good defenses.

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 08:46 PM
Nice graphic ESPN xdrunkyx

Elvis was a Bison
December 7th, 2018, 08:46 PM
WTF!! ESPN Graphic just had Colgate vs JMU for early game tommorrow. C'mon man!!

AggieFinn
December 7th, 2018, 08:48 PM
WTF!! ESPN Graphic just had Colgate vs JMU for early game tommorrow. C'mon man!!

Brutal.

paward
December 7th, 2018, 08:48 PM
I had to check me and ncaa on that one. Thought I was in twilight zone, lol.

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 08:49 PM
I had to check me and ncaa on that one. Thought I was in twilight zone, lol.

Lol I had to rewind it and make sure I wasnt seeing and hearing things.

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 08:51 PM
Wow that was quick.

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 08:52 PM
And the seepage has started......TD pass by Maine: 14-3.

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 08:52 PM
Weber is in trouble.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2018, 08:53 PM
TD Da Bears!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2018, 08:53 PM
Maine looking good.

Professor Chaos
December 7th, 2018, 08:55 PM
Ummmm…. am I mixing up my rules or should've that been a safety against Weber on the kickoff???

Weber kick returner tried to field it standing on the 1. He mishandled it and it bounced into the end zone where he grabbed it and kneeled on it.

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 08:55 PM
Weber cant audible, why run right into a stacked box?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2018, 08:57 PM
Ummmm…. am I mixing up my rules or should've that been a safety against Weber on the kickoff???

Weber kick returner tried to field it standing on the 1. He mishandled it and it bounced into the end zone where he grabbed it and kneeled on it.

Momentum can carry the ball into the end zone without penalty.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Wow.....scoop and score for Maine...maybe?

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Incomplete pass

Professor Chaos
December 7th, 2018, 09:01 PM
It'll be overturned.

JMU-MRD-DAD
Incomplete

Lorne_Malvo
No YD.

jsualumnus
December 7th, 2018, 09:02 PM
Must be OVC refs

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Good call, but Weber is still loosing on both sides right now.

katss07
December 7th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Wow, what a catch!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Maine's D is so quick off the ball...

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 09:08 PM
Great catch, but Weber can't do anything with it and settle for a long FG: 14-6 Bears....

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 7th, 2018, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure about declining that penalty....one score game.

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 09:10 PM
Nice pick.

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 09:11 PM
At least weber is still fighting, will see if the interception holds.

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Nice pick.

Not so sure about that.

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Not so sure about that.

Looks good to me.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2018, 09:15 PM
Uncle Mo is with Weber!!

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 09:16 PM
You caught the ball congrats, it's your job, now go get in the huddle.

Schism55
Weber needed that badly.. see if they can make Maine pay

jsualumnus
That’s a horrible targeting call. These refs suck.

Lorne_Malvo
Should have been taunting not targeting. The targeting will get reversed.

Prime Power
December 7th, 2018, 09:17 PM
What a horrible call, about 2 minutes after the hit the flag came in...lol

jsualumnus
December 7th, 2018, 09:20 PM
It’s. Not. That. Hard

Daytripper
That was not targeting.

caribbeanhen
It's a good thing it's not snowing or these refs would be doing snow angels to get on TV

Bison56
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Prime Power
10 hours later......

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 09:22 PM
10 hours later Weber shoots themselves in the foot....

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 09:22 PM
6 minutes to overrule a terrible targeting call causes Weber to lose momentum and focus. Sucked for Weber.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 7th, 2018, 09:23 PM
Sorry guys...replay booth outsourced to India.....time delay....lol

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 09:24 PM
What a mess.

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 09:25 PM
At least Weber D is stepping up and hold for a probable punt.

Bison56
December 7th, 2018, 09:29 PM
Weber QB like to put a lot of air under his passes.

No_Skill
December 7th, 2018, 09:30 PM
Been a while since a review...they should review that.

Outsider1
December 7th, 2018, 09:31 PM
Poor QB throws caught up..interception Maine.

veinup
Oh boy...

Bison Fan in NW MN
INT for Maine.

Maine came to play.

CommishBigSmooth
Ugh. This game is borderline unwatchable.

clawman
December 7th, 2018, 09:32 PM
Maine definitely has Mr Mo going for them right now

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2018, 09:33 PM
3rd and 1 and go for a long pass??

xeyebrowx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Maine coach tried to outthink the room on 3rd down. RUN THE BALL!!

grizband
December 7th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Last week I accidentally picked against Maine (selected the wrong team before submitting). This week, I picked against them on purpose; looks like I'll be wrong again!

Outsider1
Even though the game has opened up a bit, you still have two good defenses making each opponent make mistakes. The game is going to come down to who makes less.

JMU-MRD-DAD
Run the ball for first down...geez

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Can someone please get an official "Complain About the Game" thread going?

Outsider1
Right now the Weber QB is making it harder for Weber, even with the occaisional long ball catch.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Perfect pass!!

Professor Chaos
Weber's QB is so inconsistent. A horrible throw followed immediately by a gorgeous throw.

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Weber has 16 yards rushing.

clawman
December 7th, 2018, 09:38 PM
Constantine will be great in the Canadian football league, wider field.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Touch back!! Holy Crap! I don't see how you can over rule that given how they ruled it on the field. Terrible call from the start...

Lorne_Malvo
Going to be high drama on this one.

steelbison
December 7th, 2018, 09:39 PM
Officiating is horrible!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outsider1
Weber's QB is so inconsistent. A horrible throw followed immediately by a gorgeous throw.

Completely agree, we'll see if the interception is reversed.

JMU-MRD-DAD
TD

dbackjon
December 7th, 2018, 09:40 PM
That Has to be overturned it’s a touchdown

Bison56
TD

Go Lehigh TU Owl
If anything call it incomplete. I'm honestly not sure if the Weber guy truly had it either....

jsualumnus
TD...

steelbison
That’s a TD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
I don't know if that's a TD. I don't think either guy controlled it until the DB had it laying out of bounds. It's not an INT but I'm thinking it might be an incompletion.

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2018, 09:41 PM
At least they got it right.