PDA

View Full Version : Let the Coaching Carosel begin....

FormerPokeCenter
November 20th, 2018, 02:27 PM
McNeese doesn't renew Lance Guidry's contract after a pair of 6-5's bookended around a 9-2...
National Search set to begin immediately.

Who else is on the hot seat?

crusader11
November 20th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Who else is on the hot seat?

In the Patriot League, it's Andy Coen (Lehigh) and Joe Susan (Bucknell).

There are rumors circulation that Coen may step down due to health issues.

Some will tell you that John Garrett is on the hot seat at Lafayette. While he very well could be, hard to see Lafayette pull the trigger on him after two seasons.

Derby City Duke
November 20th, 2018, 04:07 PM
William & Mary moved quickly to replace retiring Jimmye Laycock; hired Mike London who won the 2008 title with Richmond and also coached the University of Virginia for a few years. Here's an article from the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/woody-everything-says-mike-london-is-perfect-fit-for-william/article_11807ebd-0c62-5a3f-a847-b256200a69f1.html

Sader87
November 20th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Brown job is open....many have Perry (a Brown alumnus) at Bryant moving from North Smithfield to the East-Side of Providence

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2018, 04:37 PM
In the Patriot League, it's Andy Coen (Lehigh) and Joe Susan (Bucknell).

There are rumors circulation that Coen may step down due to health issues.

Some will tell you that John Garrett is on the hot seat at Lafayette. While he very well could be, hard to see Lafayette pull the trigger on him after two seasons.

No word from Bethlehem. You would think it would be announced by now if it was happening?

Franks Tanks
November 20th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Brown job is open....many have Perry (a Brown alumnus) at Bryant moving from North Smithfield to the East-Side of Providence

Mark Whipple is available.

RichH2
November 20th, 2018, 05:24 PM
No word from Bethlehem. You would think it would be announced by now if it was happening?

Not really. If Folmar is Joe's choice, he will have to wait til Elon is done. Ceechini is the other actual in house option. Assuming truth to the rumors, it is likely Joe has been in the process of seeking a new HC for a while. No idea if he might plan a series of interviews first or not. It is important that a decision is made as soon as feasible so as not to lose thus year's recruiting class. LU graduates 20+ seniors.

crusader11
November 20th, 2018, 05:51 PM

Tom Gilmore once turned around one FCS program and has spent basically his entire career in Ivy / PL circles. Wonder if his name would get any consideration.

I actually wonder if he’ll get another head coaching gig, or if he’s destined for a coordinator role for the remainder of his coaching career. He’s only in his mid-50s.

PAllen
November 20th, 2018, 07:31 PM

They might be looking to find a replacement before the announcement. Or, they might just not know how to handle this sort of thing. Or, we might just be stuck with Coen for the duration.

DFW HOYA
November 20th, 2018, 07:52 PM
They might be looking to find a replacement before the announcement. Or, they might just not know how to handle this sort of thing. Or, we might just be stuck with Coen for the duration.

Or they may be doing Coen/Susan a favor by letting them find another job before announcing a departure. Looks better for the program to say "Our head coach was hired away to be the linebackers coach at Charlotte" rather than "we fired him and now have no plan."

RichH2
November 20th, 2018, 08:31 PM
Or they may be doing Coen/Susan a favor by letting them find another job before announcing a departure. Looks better for the program to say "Our head coach was hired away to be the linebackers coach at Charlotte" rather than "we fired him and now have no plan."

Certainly posdible. Coen has always given his assts time to find another job before firing them. Heck, he has gotten some of them jobs. He got Wilcher the DC slot at Seton Hill.

Bill
November 20th, 2018, 10:42 PM
Tom Gilmore once turned around one FCS program and has spent basically his entire career in Ivy / PL circles. Wonder if his name would get any consideration.

I actually wonder if he’ll get another head coaching gig, or if he’s destined for a coordinator role for the remainder of his coaching career. He’s only in his mid-50s.

interesting...as you know, he's now at Wake Forrest...I would not be surprised to see Tom work up to the DC role at that level before coming back - if ever - to HC again in the IVY/PL circles. For my money, he was still the best DC Lehigh's had.

Bill
November 20th, 2018, 10:44 PM
It will be a cold day in hell before this ever happened...but at one point, Dave Steckel would have loved a shot at HC for Lehigh. Think we can lure him away from Mizzou State?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 20th, 2018, 11:03 PM
It will be a cold day in hell before this ever happened...but at one point, Dave Steckel would have loved a shot at HC for Lehigh. Think we can lure him away from Mizzou State?

Cecchini and Folmar will be the lead candidates once there's an announcement. Where there's smoke there's fire so the change is coming. I think they'll be an announcement after the holiday weekend. My guess is there has to be some details that need to be worked out. Coen has been at Lehigh too long and has meant too much for this not to be handled in an extremely professional manner.

Lehigh is a helluva job. There's a bit of a PL niche factor but it's still one of the better gigs in FCS imo.

Pards Rule
November 21st, 2018, 02:17 PM
Not really. If Folmar is Joe's choice, he will have to wait til Elon is done. Ceechini is the other actual in house option. Assuming truth to the rumors, it is likely Joe has been in the process of seeking a new HC for a while. No idea if he might plan a series of interviews first or not. It is important that a decision is made as soon as feasible so as not to lose thus year's recruiting class. LU graduates 20+ seniors.
Rich thats what I was thinking. I mean announce Coens retirement whatever so folks know change is afoot. You dont have to announce the pick until Elon is done if it is Folmar but at least put recruits on notice??

Gangtackle11
November 21st, 2018, 02:37 PM
Villanova coach Mark Ferrante is probably safe for at least 1 more season. 2 consecutive 5-6 seasons & a 4-12 CAA record has the eyes on him to get it done in ‘19.

I also think another season like the last 2 will have Nova board of trustees seriously considering a FCS downgrade to the Patriot from the CAA. School will look to align with like academic schools over public schools. Talley kept the wolves away.

Derby City Duke
November 21st, 2018, 02:44 PM
Mike Houston's name popped up - one of a bunch of names on a laundry list - as someone UNC-Charlotte should take a look at to fill its vacancy. I expect this to happen with a lot of G5 jobs, but my personal pucker factor would only really increase if the Tarheels fire Fedora )or an AAC team calls). He's a No. Carolina native son so that seems logical to be interested in Chapel Hill.

furpal87
November 21st, 2018, 03:13 PM
Or if UNC hires Satterfield from App St? I think Houston would be perfect there, if not UNC or ECU.

centraljerseycat
November 21st, 2018, 03:25 PM
Villanova coach Mark Ferrante is probably safe for at least 1 more season. 2 consecutive 5-6 seasons & a 4-12 CAA record has the eyes on him to get it done in ‘19.

I also think another season like the last 2 will have Nova board of trustees seriously considering a FCS downgrade to the Patriot from the CAA. School will look to align with like academic schools over public schools. Talley kept the wolves away.

I don't mind a switch to the Patriot League as long as the Battle of the Blue game with Delaware is kept. Would also like to see Richmond join with the Cats to get to 9 football schools.

wmmii
November 21st, 2018, 03:58 PM
William & Mary moved quickly to replace retiring Jimmye Laycock; hired Mike London who won the 2008 title with Richmond and also coached the University of Virginia for a few years. Here's an article from the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/woody-everything-says-mike-london-is-perfect-fit-for-william/article_11807ebd-0c62-5a3f-a847-b256200a69f1.html

This is a perfect hire for the Tribe! London brings experience and worked with Laycock as an assistant for 3 years so knows the schools academic demands. His first year at Howard in 2017 had him turn around a 2-9 program to 7-4 and huge upset of UNLV that was favored to win by 45 points that year.

London calls this move "returning home" as he grew up within 30 miles of the school and met his wife in Williamsburg. Brings good recruiting ties and new energy to the program while maintaining the motto of Coach Laycock of "Doing it the RIGHT WAY".

cx500d
November 21st, 2018, 05:41 PM
I don't mind a switch to the Patriot League as long as the Battle of the Blue game with Delaware is kept. Would also like to see Richmond join with the Cats to get to 9 football schools.
You just don’t get enough of repeatedly beating the tar out of the less fortunate public school from the adjoining state, do you?

RichH2
November 21st, 2018, 06:42 PM
Rich thats what I was thinking. I mean announce Coens retirement whatever so folks know change is afoot. You dont have to announce the pick until Elon is done if it is Folmar but at least put recruits on notice??

Agreed. Bill reminded me of Steckel. A very good HC. A good option if we can afford him.
My sense is that Joe has been preparing for this for quite a while. Hope I'm right.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2018, 10:46 PM
Chattanooga clears house of the offensive staff. Good move, seeing as they were probably the most talented unit in the conference and still produced as much as an abortion on stilts.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/39523115/utc-mocs-offensive-coordinator-two-other-coaches-fired

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Hot off the presses: charleston southern's coach Mark Tucker resigns

ngineer
December 7th, 2018, 12:06 PM

Once Talley was gone, I figured VU would begin leaning our way. Talley was on the record as being strongly against joining the PL.

Gangtackle11
December 7th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Once Talley was gone, I figured VU would begin leaning our way. Talley was on the record as being strongly against joining the PL.

Ferrante needs to start winning in the CAA where he is 5-11 (3-11 not counting the rented mule school to the south of VU) last 2 seasons to mitigate the thought process that the PL is a much better fit.

A few influential alum with ear to Board of Trustees think playing Lehigh, Georgetown, Colgate, Holy Cross, Fordham, Bucknell, & Lafayette makes more sense than bigger publicly funded schools of the CAA.

The PL also aligns with Villanova academically & travel is lessened within conference. AD has tried to make game day experience better to attract fans, but crowds have still been disappointing most home games. No new stadium on the horizon and no public funds to build it anyway equates to a shift down to PL in the next few years IMHO.

98% of our non-football alum would rather play the PL names anyway. Delaware may actually win a Battle of the Blue trophy here & there!

Nothing against the PL, but shoot me if it happens....xpeacex

RichH2
December 7th, 2018, 02:25 PM

Talley was opposed to joining a non schollie PL. He hated even playing PL schools. No benefit and a loss to a PL nonschollie squad would be devastating to his ego. :)

van
December 7th, 2018, 02:29 PM
addition of Nova to PL makes sense in so many ways, and with 4 OOC dates available the annual game with DE could still happen if both schools want it to, always heard that Talley was the road block in the past, never understood the reasoning however

Gangtackle11
December 7th, 2018, 02:32 PM
You just don’t get enough of repeatedly beating the tar out of the less fortunate public school from the adjoining state, do you?

YA MEAN DA RENTED MULE SKOOL DOWN DA ROAD IN NO-ARK? xlolx

Gangtackle11
December 7th, 2018, 02:34 PM
addition of Nova to PL makes sense in so many ways, and with 4 OOC dates available the annual game with DE could still happen if both schools want it to, always heard that Talley was the road block in the past, never understood the reasoning however

He wanted to go up not backwards. Also Academic Index was a non-starter.

RichH2
December 7th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Nova has always been the key addition for PL. I really dont think it will happen at all soon.

LUHawker
December 7th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Andy Coen retires from Lehigh:

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop-2/scoop-friday-december-7-2018/

ngineer
December 7th, 2018, 09:30 PM
Nova has always been the key addition for PL. I really dont think it will happen at all soon.

Except for bball and football, VU plays a lot of games against PL schools in other sports and, actually, they have played Lafayette or us in bball in recent years as an early OOC game. VU and UR make a lot of sense.

clenz
December 8th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Does the PL take affiliate members?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RichH2
December 8th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Does the PL take affiliate members?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Associate members.In football, GU, Fordham are football only members. Richmond for women's golf. MIT for rowing.

clenz
December 8th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Associate members.In football, GU, Fordham are football only members. Richmond for women's golf. MIT for rowing.
Right. Not sure why my brain wasn't connecting that this AM.

ngineer
December 8th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Right. Not sure why my brain wasn't connecting that this AM.

Towson was an affilate or football only member back in the late 1990's. The PL Presidents do want more 'affiliate' members but 'all sports' members. Fordham should come back to the PL in all sports.

JSUSoutherner
December 10th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Adam Cushing, Northwestern OL coach, to EIU.

Inside NU: Northwestern offensive line coach Adam Cushing to take head job at Eastern Illinois.
https://www.insidenu.com/2018/12/9/18133503/northwestern-offensive-line-coach-adam-cushing-eastern-illinois-head-coach

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2018, 12:24 PM

Inside NU: Northwestern offensive line coach Adam Cushing to take head job at Eastern Illinois.
https://www.insidenu.com/2018/12/9/18133503/northwestern-offensive-line-coach-adam-cushing-eastern-illinois-head-coach

I was a bit surprised with this one knowing a couple of guys who were interested.

walliver
December 10th, 2018, 12:49 PM
South Carolina State has no coach contracted for next year, and doesn't seem to be in a rush to decide.
https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/there-is-no-football-program-at-s-c-state-without/article_f0ab5f4c-f8d9-11e8-a9a9-170b95d198b1.html

That is just one very poorly run institution

Schism55
December 10th, 2018, 01:52 PM
https://twitter.com/CoachSamz/status/1072214390563328000

Model Citizen
December 10th, 2018, 09:10 PM
Rick Fox resigned at Drake. The reasons are clouded somewhere in the man's evangelical mind.

Or maybe he and the newish AD did not get along. We may never know.

Daytripper
December 10th, 2018, 09:19 PM
Rick Fox resigned at Drake. The reasons are clouded somewhere in the man's evangelical mind.

Or maybe he and the newish AD did not get along. We may never know.

He must be quite the Renaissance Man. Playing for the Lakers, acting, and coaching college football.....:D

Pards Rule
December 11th, 2018, 08:16 AM

Wonder if longtime Lafayette OL/OC Bob Heffner who is at NW in some offensive slot will go with him or is he in line perhaps for OL coach. He was great and we still miss him.

Sycamore62
December 11th, 2018, 08:35 AM
He must be quite the Renaissance Man. Playing for the Lakers, acting, and coaching college football.....:D

plus his sister Samantha was a famous singer in the 80s

Terry2889
December 11th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Talley was opposed to joining a non schollie PL. He hated even playing PL schools. No benefit and a loss to a PL nonschollie squad would be devastating to his ego. :)

Talley coached without a headset... That should tell you enough about his coaching influence...

kdinva
December 11th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Mark Hudspeth to Austin Peay......

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-mark-hudspeth-next-head-coach-austin-peay/

UNAPride
December 11th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Mark Hudspeth to Austin Peay......

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-mark-hudspeth-next-head-coach-austin-peay/

Ugh. I'm glad they aren't Big South but it does mean UNA could face their old coach down the road at some point.

His ULL teams were okay but Hud was a beast at UNA. Totally revived our program. APU just made a great hire, IMO.

kdinva
December 14th, 2018, 04:12 PM
football scoop says Coach Arth is leaving UTC for Akron......

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-tom-arth-next-akron-head-coach/

hoidOfYolen
December 14th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Curt Cignetti is leaving Elon for JMU

BEAR
December 15th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Is it true that former UCA head coach and now former SFA head coach is a high school coach now?! Um...how freakin stupid is that high school to hire a guy who was fired from 2 college positions because he allegedly couldn't keep it zipped up....and now you want him with teens. SMH

cx500d
December 15th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Is it true that former UCA head coach and now former SFA head coach is a high school coach now?! Um...how freakin stupid is that high school to hire a guy who was fired from 2 college positions because he allegedly couldn't keep it zipped up....and now you want him with teens. SMH
???

do you have some links?

ngineer
December 15th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Wonder if longtime Lafayette OL/OC Bob Heffner who is at NW in some offensive slot will go with him or is he in line perhaps for OL coach. He was great and we still miss him.

Hmmm. Forgot about Heffner...Wonder whether he'd be interested in the South Mountain vacancy??

Pards Rule
December 16th, 2018, 11:30 AM
Hmmm. Forgot about Heffner...Wonder whether he'd be interested in the South Mountain vacancy??

I hope not!! He is a great coach and fantastic recruiter! Dont want him in Bethlehem!!

BEAR
December 16th, 2018, 04:32 PM
???

do you have some links?

SFA message board.

Gangtackle11
December 17th, 2018, 05:41 AM
Posts on Elon fan site claiming DC Tony Trisciani to be named next Head Coach.

https://elonphoenix.com/news/2018/12/16/elon-to-announce-new-football-coach-on-monday.aspx