PDA

View Full Version : Elon v Wofford

Cocky
November 18th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Great first round matchup

Milktruck74
November 18th, 2018, 01:42 PM
As a FAN of the game, I think this may be the best matchup of the bracket.......If Wofford can play THEIR game and control the clock, I say wofford 17-14.

woffordgrad94
November 18th, 2018, 01:43 PM
This is not the same Phoenix team that waxed Furman. Wofford is fortunate to be playing an Elon team that is not 100%. Elon has no seen the option this year to my knowledge and they have one week to prep. Not making a prediction but I like our chances at home in this one.

gofurman
November 18th, 2018, 02:54 PM
This is not the same Phoenix team that waxed Furman. Wofford is fortunate to be playing an Elon team that is not 100%. Elon has no seen the option this year to my knowledge and they have one week to prep. Not making a prediction but I like our chances at home in this one.

Right. I have seen both teams. At full strength Elon is better. I am a SoCon fan - so not being anti Wofford. Want the SoCon to,do well.

but I can't deny that IF both teams had every player then Elon would be the favorite easily. They beat my Paladins 45-7 and then went into JMU and ended the JMU 21 game home win streak!!! That JMU win put everyone on notice. Having seen Furman play both part of the deal was a true FR QB for Furman who fumbled and we couldn't use our playbook - which Woff knows is to throw to backs and sneak people out where LBs are caught looking. Our QB that Elon game had only played one year of HS QB. Probably if we had Roberts at QB Elon is still 15+ points better that day.

My question is this. I know the all America RB Summer's is out, is QB Cheek still out?

EU2000
November 18th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Right. I have seen both teams. At full strength Elon is better. I am a SoCon fan - so not being anti Wofford. Want the SoCon to,do well.

but I can't deny that IF both teams had every player then Elon would be the favorite easily. They beat my Paladins 45-7 and then went into JMU and ended the JMU 21 game home win streak!!! That JMU win put everyone on notice. Having seen Furman play both part of the deal was a true FR QB for Furman who fumbled and we couldn't use our playbook - which Woff knows is to throw to backs and sneak people out where LBs are caught looking. Our QB that Elon game had only played one year of HS QB. Probably if we had Roberts at QB Elon is still 15+ points better that day.

My question is this. I know the all America RB Summer's is out, is QB Cheek still out?

Yes Cheek is out for the season. He tore his ACL in the 1st quarter at Delaware.

The 3rd stringer, Daniel Thompson, played the majority of the game at Maine. Slim loss to a really good team 27-26.

fc97
November 18th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Cheek is out for the year. Question is do we play Green or Thompson. Thompson wasn't even on the 3 deep at QB until last game when he came in.

I just haven't followed Wofford much this year, how's the pass game?

And to Wofford's huge credit, Elon hasn't had an option team this year.

EU2000
November 18th, 2018, 03:18 PM
And to Wofford's huge credit, Elon hasn't had an option team this year.

Doesn’t Chas Southern play the triple option?

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Cheek is out for the year. Question is do we play Green or Thompson. Thompson wasn't even on the 3 deep at QB until last game when he came in.

I just haven't followed Wofford much this year, how's the pass game?

And to Wofford's huge credit, Elon hasn't had an option team this year.We pass the ball more than we have ever passed. Expect 12-20 passes. RPOs, quick routes, and the occasional bomb down field.

Elon has the kind of offense that can do damage to us. I still don't know what to make of Wofford. I feel inclined to both sand bag and be confident. Elon runs a 4-2-5 defense I think and runs a similar offense to Mercer I think. Wofford's offense struggled with the 4 man front with Samford and our defense has been feast or famine.

I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Doesn’t Chas Southern play the triple option?I don't think so. Not the same kind, at least. I don't think Charleston Southern is a good indicator because 1) Wofford is way better than them and 2) Elon didn't play a great game against them (for whatever reason), even though they won (by double digits, I think).

Wofford's offense is more than just option though.

EU2000
November 18th, 2018, 03:35 PM
I don't think so. Not the same kind, at least. I don't think Charleston Southern is a good indicator because 1) Wofford is way better than them and 2) Elon didn't play a great game against them (for whatever reason), even though they won (by double digits, I think).

Wofford's offense is more than just option though.

That post was not as a comparison of who is better of who is worse at it. Just the simple fact that Elon has seen a triple option team this year.

Elon has a horrible 1st half against them, but held them to I think 30 total yards all second half.

This game is a toss up IMO. I wish Elon was at full strength with 2 of the best offensive weapons in the CAA, but injuries are a part of the game. Watching yesterday’s game, it’s obvious there is a ton of good talent. Watch out for Jaylan Thomas at RB....the guy has some serious wheels.

fc97
November 18th, 2018, 03:35 PM
CSU plays a triple option at times but mix up offensive strategies. They'd be a bad indicator and a bad reference point for Wofford

EU2000
November 18th, 2018, 03:39 PM
CSU plays a triple option at times but mix up offensive strategies. They'd be a bad indicator and a bad reference point for Wofford

Again, simply pointing out that the team has seen a triple option offense this season. Was not a comparison of Wofford.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 03:42 PM
I'd like to see Wofford win this one. I want to see a KSU/Wofford game.

whoanellie
November 18th, 2018, 03:56 PM
tickets not yet available on Wofford website, anyone have the link?

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2018, 05:27 PM
tickets not yet available on Wofford website, anyone have the link?Wait until tomorrow morning or so. If anything call the ticket office. Also we never ever ever sell out so no need for urgency. Seriously.

Also I think they allocate tickets to Elon as well

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2018, 07:57 PM
Here's a look at how these teams match up statistically.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4912/45947200871_e0d69290cb.jpg

PaladinFan
November 18th, 2018, 08:31 PM
Having seen both teams a good bit - 6 times the last two seasons - I give the advantage to Wofford in this one.

I think Elon at full strength probably take the Terriers, but I think this is a bad matchup for Elon. Wofford has an offense that is pretty well known in the SoCon, but is going to be a unique one for a CAA team. Elon's offensive strength as well will play right into the Terrier's defensive strength, which is defending the inside run game.

The teams that have given Wofford trouble have speed on the edge and can get the ball out that way in the passing game. With Elon's injuries, I'm not sure they have that sort of team right now.

caribbeanhen
November 18th, 2018, 08:45 PM
this one should be a good game

one comment about the Wofford home turf, that grass is really green like real green

cx500d
November 18th, 2018, 08:54 PM
this one should be a good game

one comment about the Wofford home turf, that grass is really green like real green
Seems like an improvement over red, or blue, or purple, for example

caribbeanhen
November 18th, 2018, 09:06 PM

all that and I did watch some of Wofford this year, home game, the green was vivid.....dont tell me it was fake turf and not grass......

dungeonjoe
November 18th, 2018, 09:19 PM
all that and I did watch some of Wofford this year, home game, the green was vivid.....dont tell me it was fake turf and not grass......

it is real. sneeze in the spring from allergies real.

caribbeanhen
November 18th, 2018, 09:25 PM
it is real. sneeze in the spring from allergies real.

I knew it was, just have to be careful in todays world determining what is real

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2018, 09:31 PM
Fun fact: Wofford's campus is an arboretum. And I know what you're saying about the grass being very green because it definitely was Saturday. I think Wofford, the Citadel, and VMI are the only socon teams that play on grass

Also, what concerns me about Elon is the inside zone read play. For whatever reason, we have gotten burned on that play this year. Admittedly, it's been in garbage time, but on another it's happened twice against Mercer and PC. Part of me thinks it's a personnel and or laziness issue. If it's the former, it's a legitimate weakness that Elon will take advantage of.

I think Elon has the playbook to cause us trouble and the 4-2-5 is going to be a struggle to run our offense against. Wofford's stats look good on both sides of the ball and earlier this season I was a lot higher on them because of it. But since the samford game, something has just been a touch off IMO.

Should be a great game.

dungeonjoe
November 18th, 2018, 09:31 PM
I knew it was, just have to be careful in todays world determining what is real
oh, we talking theological, political, horticultural, or cosmetic?

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2018, 10:38 PM
I’ll be watching this game closely as a SDSU fan. I think the winner has a very real shot at taking out KSU. With that in mind I would very much rather Elon wins just so, should SDSU make it that far, they won’t have to face an option team. Should be a fun one to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 10:41 PM
I’ll be watching this game closely as a SDSU fan. I think the winner has a very real shot at taking out KSU. With that in mind I would very much rather Elon wins just so, should SDSU make it that far, they won’t have to face an option team. Should be a fun one to watch.

Why? You don't think the option is super fun?

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2018, 10:47 PM
Why? You don't think the option is super fun?

No. I still have nightmares from the disastrous game plan of let the fullback gash us for 7 yards a crack against Poly a couple years ago, and our DC is pretty damn stubborn on changing his game plans.

I enjoy option football, played it in high school. I just prefer to enjoy it when other teams have to face it. It’s the ultimate talent equalizer offense.

gofurman
November 18th, 2018, 11:43 PM

Who has purple grass ? xcoffeex

Red. EWU
BLUE. Boise State
purple?

cx500d
November 19th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Who has purple grass ? xcoffeex

Red. EWU
BLUE. Boise State
purple?

Central Arkansas has alternating purple and gray

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 07:53 AM
Looking at some of the stats I like Wofford's chances. I think Elon will have an above average day for themselves passing the ball, but that may not be saying much. Since the JMU game their completion percentage has been hovering around or below 50%. That won't cut it.

Having said that, Wofford has this habit of making not-good passing offenses look average. If you squint and look at the stats I may be exaggerating this tendency, but I think PC is a good example of this. If I were to compare Elon's offense to another team, it's probably PC.

It's going to be imperative that Wofford stops the run and forced some incompletions. I think we will be able to do it. But that doesn't translate to a win. The game is going to be won or lost when wofford has the ball. I don't know what to expect.

ksu_owls
November 19th, 2018, 08:22 AM
I don't know who I want to win this one... I think I would rather face Wofford so I don't have to hear "you guys beat an injured Elon, that's the only reason you won". Plus, facing Elon would mean they've had two straight weeks of practice against the option and obviously just did a pretty good job of stopping it if they win against Wofford.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2018, 08:27 AM
I have to pull for the conference. Of course, Elon's QB committed to Furman and then decommitted and flipped to Elon. That and Scott Riddle. Screw em.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 08:28 AM
No. I still have nightmares from the disastrous game plan of let the fullback gash us for 7 yards a crack against Poly a couple years ago, and our DC is pretty damn stubborn on changing his game plans.

I enjoy option football, played it in high school. I just prefer to enjoy it when other teams have to face it. It’s the ultimate talent equalizer offense.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIndeed it is. If KSU is anything but an option team we win the other night. That offense is built for the 4th quarter (and beyond) and it worked.

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

phoenix3
November 19th, 2018, 08:32 AM
I have been looking forward to this match-up for a couple of years. I certainly wish we had our starting QB and RB, but that's football. It's not just the players, it's the schemes, injuries, play calling, recruiting, replacements, etc., etc. I think we have some good talent in the cupboard, including the Ohio Mr. Football, as a future QB, but I can all but guarantee we will not burn his redshirt. And like most teams, many of our players have injuries that they will just simply have to play with.

I have always enjoyed our playing WC, even when we got our behinds kicked. Regardless of what happens on Saturday, I hope both teams don't come away with any significant injuries. I'll be there Saturday!

phoenix3
November 19th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Looking at some of the stats I like Wofford's chances. I think Elon will have an above average day for themselves passing the ball, but that may not be saying much. Since the JMU game their completion percentage has been hovering around or below 50%. That won't cut it.

Having said that, Wofford has this habit of making not-good passing offenses look average. If you squint and look at the stats I may be exaggerating this tendency, but I think PC is a good example of this. If I were to compare Elon's offense to another team, it's probably PC.

It's going to be imperative that Wofford stops the run and forced some incompletions. I think we will be able to do it. But that doesn't translate to a win. The game is going to be won or lost when wofford has the ball. I don't know what to expect.

By PC are you referring to Presbyterian College? & BTW we don't run a 4-2-5 defense.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 10:31 AM
By PC are you referring to Presbyterian College? & BTW we don't run a 4-2-5 defense.

Is it a 3-3-5? I remember reading somewhere or watching a game last year (Furman in the playoffs, I think) that you guys run a unique defense, like Villanova, but I don't remember the details.

And yes, I'm referring to PC. That may sound like a back-handed comparison, but it isn't. Rather, I think the style of play is similar to PC: you want to run the ball, and you run it a lot out of shotgun and you can pass the ball, but you would prefer to do it less than 25 times a game (correct me if I'm wrong, obviously). What makes you concerned if you're Wofford is that we obviously didn't play PC as good as we wanted to and Elon is going to be much much much better.

phoenix3
November 19th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Yes, it's a 3-3-5. Our DC is from Villanova. He actually was with Elon before with Pete Lembo's staff.

I can loosely see what you're saying with regard to PC. However, even with our 3rd string QB and a couple of 2nd string OL, don't expect us to play like PC. Our 2nd string QB is a dual threat, but has had challenges passing. Daniel Thompson, our 3rd string QB, will likely get the start. He is an effective passer, (although nothing like Cheek), and can run to get out of trouble. He was our starter in 2016 after our 1st string QB went down. The reality is DT played a few snaps in the Towson game and did not start against Maine. So while he has the ability to pass, he is no doubt still a bit rusty. The biggest differences between then and now is our OL is much better trained and much more seasoned and even though our top RB is out for the season, we have 3 capable back-ups, each with his own special abilities.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Yes, it's a 3-3-5. Our DC is from Villanova. He actually was with Elon before with Pete Lembo's staff.

I can loosely see what you're saying with regard to PC. However, even with our 3rd string QB and a couple of 2nd string OL, don't expect us to play like PC. Our 2nd string QB is a dual threat, but has had challenges passing. Daniel Thompson, our 3rd string QB, will likely get the start. He is an effective passer, (although nothing like Cheek), and can run to get out of trouble. He was our starter in 2016 after our 1st string QB went down. The reality is DT played a few snaps in the Towson game and did not start against Maine. So while he has the ability to pass, he is no doubt still a bit rusty. The biggest differences between then and now is our OL is much better trained and much more seasoned and even though our top RB is out for the season, we have 3 capable back-ups, each with his own special abilities.

Good run down. And again, the PC comparison was not about ability, but rather tendency.

One of Wofford's problems this year is that we have not effectively gotten pressure on the QB. We're improved upon last year, but we need to continue to improve.

PaladinNation
November 19th, 2018, 12:42 PM
Same as Paladin Fan… I've seen Elon a ton and of course Wofford a ton. Elon has a beast at NG. When Furman played Elon this year our OL was a mess and it wasn't until the Elon debacle that Hendrix/Lusk started working their musical chair system on the OL. The Elon D line whipped our tail.

I'll be curious to see how Wofford handles Elon's physical defensive play… they impress me.

I watched the Maine/Elon game - my takeaway after watching that game is the Elon offense is inconsistent and that shouldn't be a surprise due to all the injuries. Wofford is methodical on offense and they can make you pay if you're not disciplined. It wouldn't surprise me if Elon doesn't lean on the Furman/Wofford game for some cues. That said Staggs runs an unconventional scheme against the option not sure if a team can just pick that up in a week. Note here Furman builds in option prep in the preseason - SoCon schools have too.

I'm going to go with the Terriers, I might even go to the game, as much as it makes me want to puke I think it's going to be a great game.

Corn_3024
November 19th, 2018, 07:24 PM
I hope its a competitive, physical, tiring, 4 quarters of ball. Wouldn't mind a 5 OT thriller...

gofurman
November 19th, 2018, 07:26 PM
I have to pull for the conference. Of course, Elon's QB committed to Furman and then decommitted and flipped to Elon. That and Scott Riddle. Screw em.

THIS is why it's Ssoooooo much harder to compete for Southern teams - all Southern teams not just Furman - than it used to be. Oh, Let me count the ways:

- so Scott Riddle would be at Furman because Mercer DIDNT even have a freakin program 7 years ago !!! That's 63 players. Specific to Furman our coach ( Bobby Lamb was Furman coach and is now at Mercer) those are a TON of the kids Furman would take we now split because it's the contacts we had developed while Lamb was at Furman for 9 years
- Elon QB would be available (though was he was actually committed to Furman) because Elon was D2 not too long ago but has moved up to FCS. That's 20/30 more scholarships I think plus kids like playing at FCS over D2
- Kennesaw state DIDNT EXIST, 63 scholarships.
- Georgia State did not exist. They are FBS. That's 85 Scholarships. EIGHTY FIVE
- App State and Georgia Southern we to FBS from FCS. So both programs ADDED 22 scholarships AND have a better draw as they offer kids FBS amenities now That's 44 scholarships that weren't here now
- Wofford was D2. Personally to Furman we used to get most all the kids around here. Now some go to Wofford. The two schools are 25 miles apart. Mike Ayers once said how he couldn't get SoCon kids until he moved up,and now I see guys come down to choosing Woff or Furman or Citadel. That's 30 more scholarships. And like I said Furman in 80s just got any upstate kid they wanted because Wofford wasn't really a competitor for same kids
- UNC Charlotte DIDNT EXIST 15 years ago. That's EIGHTY FIVE scholarships right near here.
- oh, Coastal Carolina didn't have a program 15 years ago. They are now FBS ! That's EIGHTY FIVE scholarships
- Charleston Southern had no program 20 years ago. None. That's SIXTY THREE more scholarships

How many new FBS and FCS programs are there in Montana or North Dakota or Washington State??? Really I am asking. Any? Two?

and for those that say you have a larger population in southeast than in a Montana or North Dakota. Yes, we do. Absolutely. That's true. But we had a larger Population in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s also. And yet then these programs I named didn't exist - and there are MORE like ETSU starting back up !!!

If anyone thinks that kind of math doesn't kill your quality of player you are fooling yourself !!!

I saw someone did all the math and it was depressing. In 1990s FCS programs around here got to pick (I paraphrase - it was some number like this ) like one kid to offer per 150 high school kids. Now because of too DAMN MANY NEW PROGRAMS we are so diluted here that FCS has to take a kid per every 30 kids. So,that takes into account population growth. The scholarship offerings here are VASTLY outnumbering our population growth.

I.E. our programs in Southeast are being SERIOUSLY DILUTED with each new dam school that starts a program or moves up from D2 etc.

we need to start seven new programs in North Dakota. Wonder what would happen over ten years if that was the case - "hey kid, come to our new program and start on day one or go to NDSU and be a backup for two years ??" Believe me NDSU would diminish in quality over the next few years. They would.

Birdman_
November 19th, 2018, 07:37 PM
I hope its a competitive, physical, tiring, 4 quarters of ball. Wouldn't mind a 5 OT thriller...

😂

fc97
November 19th, 2018, 07:39 PM
THIS is why it's Ssoooooo much harder to compete for Southern teams - all Southern teams not just Furman - than it used to be. Oh, Let me count the ways:

- so Scott Riddle would be at Furman because Mercer DIDNT even have a freakin program 7 years ago !!! That's 63 players. Specific to Furman our coach ( Bobby Lamb was Furman coach and is now at Mercer) those are a TON of the kids Furman would take we now split because it's the contacts we had developed while Lamb was at Furman for 9 years
- Elon QB would be available (though was he was actually committed to Furman) because Elon was D2 not too long ago but has moved up to FCS. That's 20/30 more scholarships I think plus kids like playing at FCS over D2
- Kennesaw state DIDNT EXIST, 63 scholarships.
- Georgia State did not exist. They are FBS. That's 85 Scholarships. EIGHTY FIVE
- App State and Georgia Southern we to FBS from FCS. So both programs ADDED 22 scholarships AND have a better draw as they offer kids FBS amenities now That's 44 scholarships that weren't here now
- Wofford was D2. Personally to Furman we used to get most all the kids around here. Now some go to Wofford. The two schools are 25 miles apart. Mike Ayers once said how he couldn't get SoCon kids until he moved up,and now I see guys come down to choosing Woff or Furman or Citadel. That's 30 more scholarships. And like I said Furman in 80s just got any upstate kid they wanted because Wofford wasn't really a competitor for same kids
- UNC Charlotte DIDNT EXIST 15 years ago. That's EIGHTY FIVE scholarships right near here.
- oh, Coastal Carolina didn't have a program 15 years ago. They are now FBS ! That's EIGHTY FIVE scholarships
- Charleston Southern had no program 20 years ago. None. That's SIXTY THREE more scholarships

How many new FBS and FCS programs are there in Montana or North Dakota or Washington State??? Really I am asking. Any? Two?

and for those that say you have a larger population in southeast than in a Montana or North Dakota. Yes, we do. Absolutely. That's true. But we had a larger Population in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s also. And yet then these programs I named didn't exist - and there are MORE like ETSU starting back up !!!

If anyone thinks that kind of math doesn't kill your quality of player you are fooling yourself !!!

I saw someone did all the math and it was depressing. In 1990s FCS programs around here got to pick (I paraphrase - it was some number like this ) like one kid to offer per 150 high school kids. Now because of too DAMN MANY NEW PROGRAMS we are so diluted here that FCS has to take a kid per every 30 kids. So,that takes into account population growth. The scholarship offerings here are VASTLY outnumbering our population growth.

I.E. our programs in Southeast are being SERIOUSLY DILUTED with each new dam school that starts a program or moves up from D2 etc.

we need to start seven new programs in North Dakota. Wonder what would happen over ten years if that was the case - "hey kid, come to our new program and start on day one or go to NDSU and be a backup for two years ??" Believe me NDSU would diminish in quality over the next few years. They would.

Plus Gardner-Webb, Presbyterian, NC Central moving all up from D-II, Campbell now offering scholarships, Liberty went FBS, Old Dominion didn't exist, Charleston Southern, UT Martin and APSU all decided to go full scholarship.

And dont' forget North Alabama moving up.

And overall, the SAC-8 schools in D-II went from 20 to Max D-II scholarships as a conference, Chowan and UNCP both started teams too....

The area list goes on and on.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2018, 09:08 PM
NEC officiating crew in this one according to the refstripes discussion board (http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?topic=14211.0).

gofurman
November 19th, 2018, 10:11 PM
NEC officiating crew in this one according to the refstripes discussion board (http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?topic=14211.0).

NOT BEING PRO-FURMAN

Elon did see some option vs Furman twice last year and a little vs Furman this year. That's a while back I admit but means their D has seen it. And practiced for it. Twice last year. And once this year. That helps Elon a little I think. Especially the early prep for Furman this year. They know we run some option though not triple option like Wofford.

Furman is More some option fundamentals w other schemes. Wofford is pure triple option with more passes than they used to throw

hard for me to scout Elon. They KILLED Furman. But apparently they aren't the same without Cheek at QB. WIth Cheek they were honestly a national title contender .... Without him AND Summer's they are top 25ish
i don't know how to scout them without having seen new QB. The obvious way to beat Wofford is to throw to the RBs in space and sneak the RBs out of the backfield.

How many starting Elon OL are hurt?

The OL I saw was great as was the DL. But everything works together.

Woffords strength is stopping runs in the middle. They are very good at that. Throws to get the ball in space and then Woffords D struggles at times

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 11:07 PM
Wofford and Furman have about as much in common on offense as a bull and a buffalo.

They seem more similar if you're describing with words than if you actually see them. But they are noticeably different to those who have seen both.

Furman's offense this year was different from last year, both being different from Wofford. Heck, arguably last year's offense was more similar to Wofford's this year.

gofurman
November 19th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Wofford and Furman have about as much in common on offense as a bull and a buffalo.

They seem more similar if you're describing with words than if you actually see them. But they are noticeably different to those who have seen both.

Furman's offense this year was different from last year, both being different from Wofford. Heck, arguably last year's offense was more similar to Wofford's this year.

Agree .. But we do run option a little on the edge vs most CAA teams where they run more pro-style. That's all. Furman will go under center and occasionally Roberts will go with a pitch man to the edge. That's all

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 11:23 PM
Furman 2017: hit you in the face with a full back dive. Some perimeter play and the occasional deep pass.
Furman 2018: very little full back dives, but effective when used. More balanced. Passing game to the flats, or mid level, to basically any eligible receiver (WR, TE, RB). Strong perimeter emphasis.

One reason why Wofford didn't defend Furman as well in our game (I think) is because the 3 games of film we had going in were a train wreck (2 blowouts and a weird game against ETSU who I wouldn't be surprised was underestimated) with little indication much had changed. But if you go in trying to defend Furman 2018 with Furman 2017 defense (which we did well in 2017!) You will be vulnerable.

This is important because Wofford runs the ball for 75% of our yardage (compared to 50-60% for Furman). We run the option, obviously, with the full back taking the majority of the runs in terms of yardage (similar to Furman 2017). The difference is that our passing game incorporates more RPOs and quick routes, with the occasional deep threat (TJ Luther).

So if you're an Elon fan reading this, the offense will look more like Furman's did in 2017, except we run 80-85% of our plays out of the gun.

PaladinFan
November 20th, 2018, 05:03 AM
Furman 2017: hit you in the face with a full back dive. Some perimeter play and the occasional deep pass.
Furman 2018: very little full back dives, but effective when used. More balanced. Passing game to the flats, or mid level, to basically any eligible receiver (WR, TE, RB). Strong perimeter emphasis.

One reason why Wofford didn't defend Furman as well in our game (I think) is because the 3 games of film we had going in were a train wreck (2 blowouts and a weird game against ETSU who I wouldn't be surprised was underestimated) with little indication much had changed. But if you go in trying to defend Furman 2018 with Furman 2017 defense (which we did well in 2017!) You will be vulnerable.

This is important because Wofford runs the ball for 75% of our yardage (compared to 50-60% for Furman). We run the option, obviously, with the full back taking the majority of the runs in terms of yardage (similar to Furman 2017). The difference is that our passing game incorporates more RPOs and quick routes, with the occasional deep threat (TJ Luther).

So if you're an Elon fan reading this, the offense will look more like Furman's did in 2017, except we run 80-85% of our plays out of the gun.

I've watched Wofford a few times. Their offense pretty much looks the way their offense has always looked, which makes sense considering the same guy that has been their offensive coordinator for years still mans that post. They probably throw it a bit more than they used to, but not much. I know you say they run a lot of RPO, and I haven't seen every play Wofford ran this year, but I haven't seen much of that specific play design. Everything is either a designed run or a designed pass.

Yes, they do run a lot of quick passing routes, but so does every option team. Neither of the QBs is particularly accurate throwing the ball, so quick passes against a loaded box is not surprising.

On the other point, the reason Wofford's defense got crunched by Furman's offense wasn't "lack of film." Wofford opted to run a lot of man coverage against a team that had better athletes than they did and Furman punished them for it. Lack of film also doesn't explain why Furman's defense shut down the Terrier offensive attack either.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 08:57 AM
I've watched Wofford a few times. Their offense pretty much looks the way their offense has always looked, which makes sense considering the same guy that has been their offensive coordinator for years still mans that post. They probably throw it a bit more than they used to, but not much. I know you say they run a lot of RPO, and I haven't seen every play Wofford ran this year, but I haven't seen much of that specific play design. Everything is either a designed run or a designed pass.

Yes, they do run a lot of quick passing routes, but so does every option team. Neither of the QBs is particularly accurate throwing the ball, so quick passes against a loaded box is not surprising.

On the other point, the reason Wofford's defense got crunched by Furman's offense wasn't "lack of film." Wofford opted to run a lot of man coverage against a team that had better athletes than they did and Furman punished them for it. Lack of film also doesn't explain why Furman's defense shut down the Terrier offensive attack either.

Whenever you see Wofford throw a screen pass, usually it's an RPO.

I wouldn't say Furman has better athletes than Wofford. Anyone who truly believes that is nakedly a homer. You keep pushing this narrative that Wofford doesn't have good athletes at position x, y, or z but you're scant to provide evidence for that claim.

Furman caught us in the perfect trap game: had a bye, lots of motivation to beat us, we were high on our own press, they came out running something we didn't expect, and key youthful positions were exposed.

Furman winning the game in itself wasn't a fluke, but the manner in which it happened is more attributable to the above than vague notions of superior athleticism.

walliver
November 20th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Wofford's offense has been "dumbed-down" a little this year. We now run more pure option out of the shotgun and only rarely run it out of the wingbone (and that is usually with the second QB). We are not running nearly as much misdirection as we have in the past. I don't know if this is a philosophical change, or just the result of having a young offensive line.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Wofford's offense has been "dumbed-down" a little this year. We now run more pure option out of the shotgun and only rarely run it out of the wingbone (and that is usually with the second QB). We are not running nearly as much misdirection as we have in the past. I don't know if this is a philosophical change, or just the result of having a young offensive line.If this is dumbed down we should keep it this way, racking up 100 more yards per game and having among the best offenses in school history in terms of output.

We have rarely gone in the bone though.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 10:12 AM
One thing that may change in the playoffs is seeing a healthy dose of Andre Stoddard. It's pretty impressive that he's getting close to 1000 yards in spite of the fact that he probably only averages about 14 carries a game, only playing 10 games.

The wofford offense has come a long way from even 2 years ago when the lead full back averaged *21* carries a game

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2018, 11:41 AM
CSJ's First Round Playoff Preview: Elon at Wofford

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/csj-first-round-playoff-preview-elon-at-wofford-how-to-watch-and-fearless-prediction/

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 11:55 AM
CSJ's First Round Playoff Preview: Elon at Wofford

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/csj-first-round-playoff-preview-elon-at-wofford-how-to-watch-and-fearless-prediction/

It's weird that they pick Wofford to win the game, but to lose to Kennesaw who is "clearly more talented" yet think Elon could go farther in the event of a win.

PaladinFan
November 20th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Whenever you see Wofford throw a screen pass, usually it's an RPO.

I wouldn't say Furman has better athletes than Wofford. Anyone who truly believes that is nakedly a homer. You keep pushing this narrative that Wofford doesn't have good athletes at position x, y, or z but you're scant to provide evidence for that claim.

Furman caught us in the perfect trap game: had a bye, lots of motivation to beat us, we were high on our own press, they came out running something we didn't expect, and key youthful positions were exposed.

Furman winning the game in itself wasn't a fluke, but the manner in which it happened is more attributable to the above than vague notions of superior athleticism.

You continuing to tell yourself that doesn't make it true.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 12:34 PM
You continuing to tell yourself that doesn't make it true.

Furman had it's best day passing the ball of the season, Wofford had the worst day defending the pass in terms of completion percentage. Furman had one of its best days converting third downs on offense, Wofford had its worst day on third down conversion defense. Furman beat Wofford worse than they beat any other team other than VMI. Wofford was held to 14 points, an amount comparable to VMI and Chattanooga, the worst offenses in the socon.

If one of these facts were true, it wouldn't mean much to my case, but all of them being true seem to support my conclusion more than the alternative.

The difference between me and you is that you like to tear down Wofford players. You're condoning a more essentialist framework, but doing so inconsistently. There's nuance in Furman's losses, but not in anyone else's. Meanwhile, I haven't said anything negative about Furman's players. But you've called our players unathletic, said our QBs can't pass the ball (in spite of all statistical evidence to the contrary), and more, while glorifying your own players for doing little things that every team does when they're successful like an OL reacting to a DL crossing the LOS presnap.

Both Furman and Wofford are good teams that deserved a share of the Socon title. Wofford had a bad day, and Furman could have beaten us even if we didn't. All of these things can be true.

If you really think Furman would be consistently 20 points better if the game was played 10 times, you're full of **** and not actually paying attention to how the games are being played. This is one of the reasons why people on here can't stand Furman fans nowadays. They're very bullish on your own team to the point that you're laughably blind to the strengths of other teams. You're allowed to explain away a 38 point loss to Elon, but no one else is allowed to contextualize a margin half that size.

PaladinFan
November 20th, 2018, 01:02 PM
I'm not tearing down Wofford's players. Please. Stop with the feigned outrage.

Wofford wanted to play press man coverage against Furman. That's fine. What that does is it requires Wofford's linebackers to matchup with Furman's RBs and TEs in man to man coverage. Furman has a very athletic backfield and was able to beat man coverage against bigger slower linebackers. I'm not breaking ground here. You watch that game 10 times and you will see the same thing 10 times.

Furman held Wofford to 14 points. They also held a bunch of other teams to season lows in points too. Furman held 4 of their last 6 opponents to under 20 points. Wofford wasn't a one off in this regard either.

wcugrad95
November 20th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Is Furman playing in this game??? Seems like a lot of Paladin discussion in the Elon v Wofford thread. I know "common opponent" and all, but just sayin'.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 01:38 PM
I'm not tearing down Wofford's players. Please. Stop with the feigned outrage.

Wofford wanted to play press man coverage against Furman. That's fine. What that does is it requires Wofford's linebackers to matchup with Furman's RBs and TEs in man to man coverage. Furman has a very athletic backfield and was able to beat man coverage against bigger slower linebackers. I'm not breaking ground here. You watch that game 10 times and you will see the same thing 10 times.

Furman held Wofford to 14 points. They also held a bunch of other teams to season lows in points too. Furman held 4 of their last 6 opponents to under 20 points. Wofford wasn't a one off in this regard either.

You've done it multiple times and in different context called them unathletic, etc. It's a common thing. I'm not feigning outrage, I'm pointing out a pattern that's obvious to everyone but Furman fans.

ElCid
November 20th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Is Furman playing in this game??? Seems like a lot of Paladin discussion in the Elon v Wofford thread. I know "common opponent" and all, but just sayin'.

I just can't wait to see the fallout if Wofford puts the hammer down and blows Elon out. Not saying is gling to happen, but if it did. Furman people will melt down. And then start the whole, but our QB, but, but. Too funny to watch.

EU2000
November 20th, 2018, 01:52 PM

I gave up on the thread a few pages ago :)

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 01:57 PM
To be honest, there's not much to this game. The tendencies and weaknesses of both teams are pretty well known and the "consensus" (for what that's worth) is that Wofford will be favored, if only slightly. It's really just a matter of who executes the best.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2018, 03:05 PM
I'm having a hard time with the moving dart board in my mind,

Is Elon still good enough to beat a Wofford team that doesnt appear to be as good as last year? I dont know

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 03:11 PM

Is Elon still good enough to beat a Wofford team that doesnt appear to be as good as last year? I dont know

I wouldn't say Wofford isn't as good as last year. Last year we looked a lot like ETSU this year, winning 7 of the 9 games we won in the regular season by 7 points or less. This year, we're more consistently good, averaging about 100 yards per game more per game. This year, 7 of our 8 wins were decided by double digits. Last year, we averaged less than 350 yards of offense. This year, we've only been held below 350 twice (Wyoming and ETSU).

Defensively, we're statistically about the same, but much better at getting teams off the field on third down.

Last year, I think we were more lucky than good (though we were decent). This year, I think we have more potential.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2018, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't say Wofford isn't as good as last year. Last year we looked a lot like ETSU this year, winning 7 of the 9 games we won in the regular season by 7 points or less. This year, we're more consistently good, averaging about 100 yards per game more per game. This year, 7 of our 8 wins were decided by double digits. Last year, we averaged less than 350 yards of offense. This year, we've only been held below 350 twice (Wyoming and ETSU).

Defensively, we're statistically about the same, but much better at getting teams off the field on third down.

Last year, I think we were more lucky than good (though we were decent). This year, I think we have more potential.

I trust your opinion more than mine, but I'm still thinking I saw something more last year........ still stuck on this one.....

Were you passing the ball last year as much as you did this year?

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 03:25 PM
I trust your opinion more than mine, but I'm still thinking I saw something more last year........ still stuck on this one.....

Were you passing the ball last year as much as you did this year?

No, we weren't, but at the same time we've outrushed our output from last season (13 games) in 11 games by about 500 yards and climbing. We average 1.7 yards more per carry running the ball. We're more explosive and balanced than we were last year.

As for passing, we're averaging 120 yards per game, compared to about 100 last year. We're throwing the ball on average 3 more times (15 compared to 12) per game and completing more passes (9 compared to 6).

Defense is playing better too, but those stats are somewhat skewed by garbage time scores and short fields thanks to turnovers.

EU2000
November 20th, 2018, 03:32 PM

As stated, losing Cheek (QB) and Summers (RB) for the season obviously had ill effects.

I think the main question is QB. I'm assuming the 3rd stringer, Daniel Thompson will get the start. He can sling the ball, but will it be consistent enough to move the chains? He nearly helped engineer an awesome comeback last week.....and hats of to Maine for holding the fort when it mattered....that's very good and disciplined team.

Also, will true freshman RB Jaylan Thomas be the illusive/speedy factor we've seen glimpses of in his 7 games this season? He currently leads the team with 723 yards in 7 games. This guy can absolutely fly in open space.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2018, 07:38 PM
As stated, losing Cheek (QB) and Summers (RB) for the season obviously had ill effects.

I think the main question is QB. I'm assuming the 3rd stringer, Daniel Thompson will get the start. He can sling the ball, but will it be consistent enough to move the chains? He nearly helped engineer an awesome comeback last week.....and hats of to Maine for holding the fort when it mattered....that's very good and disciplined team.

Also, will true freshman RB Jaylan Thomas be the illusive/speedy factor we've seen glimpses of in his 7 games this season? He currently leads the team with 723 yards in 7 games. This guy can absolutely fly in open space.

hate the injuries, when Cheek got hurt at Delaware your second string looked pretty good, nice you have some talent to fill in for these bad injuries

phoenix3
November 20th, 2018, 07:48 PM
This will be a bloody dog fight. No pun intended. Elon is like a wounded dog right now fighting for it's life. I think the key match up is Elon's D against Woco's O. No, we don't regularly play a 3O team, but I'd stack our Defensive coaching staff against any others in the FCS. I think we'll be prepared. What our offense will be capable of is anyone's best guess. We, won't be the team we'd be with Cheek & Summers. The question is, will we need to be?

If you look at the stats of the Maine game, you'll see we beat Maine on both sides of the ball, but their special teams smoked us with two kick off returns. And yet we lost by 1 point. We may be struggling, but we're far from dead.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2018, 08:18 PM
had to go with Wofford in this one, for a few reasons

home
Elon has not seen TO
Elon is snakebit
ELon injuries

Elon will lose by 3 points in what might be the best game of the first round

gofurman
November 20th, 2018, 11:00 PM
I just can't wait to see the fallout if Wofford puts the hammer down and blows Elon out. Not saying is gling to happen, but if it did. Furman people will melt down. And then start the whole, but our QB, but, but. Too funny to watch.

Furman 28- citadel 17

Furman 34 - Wofford 14

These are FACTS
------------

the problem with what you say ElCid is irritates me to the point I might have to pull for Elon. And I don't want to do that. I want to pull for the Conference so our SoCon looks better

besides this is NOT the same Elon team Furman played. It's NOT. Not about OUR QB you dumbazz. It's about the loss of the mofo ELON QB and all- American ELON RB.

Are you you really so dumb as to think this Elon team is the same team Furman played? REALLY? Please reply. I hope you are smarter than you show here because you are making our Conference look DUMB As SHT if you think Elon now is half as good as the Elon of weeks 1-3.

Hell, Wofford and Elon fans KNOW this Elon isn't the same team. The team Furman played beat JMU the next week. Then QB Cheek got hurt, Summers all-AMERICA RB got hurt and they lost 3 of last 5 and are limping into playoffs. Right after those injuries young terrier was posting how the Furman loss was one of them counterfactuals. 😀

Apparentky you don't get i. Sht now I might have to pull fir Elon and that hurts the SoCon playoffs next year. Not that you all are thinking playoffs any time soon at Citadel. You see we won the SoCon this year at Furman. Went to playoffs last year. And our DC Stags has NEVER lost to the bell hops. He is 6-0 vs you biatches !!!

ElCid
November 20th, 2018, 11:09 PM
Furman 28- citadel 17

But we didn't play you with our current QB! Sorry, couldn't resist. Don't be butt hurt. No need to get all hyper.

gofurman
November 21st, 2018, 12:39 AM
But we didn't play you with our current QB! Sorry, couldn't resist. Don't be butt hurt. No need to get all hyper.

Fair enough. And as a heckle we had our THIRD string QB vs you guys xdrunkyx .. And Won ! Check me next year - Jemar Lincoln played QB vs you guys in Charlestown and beat his cousin (#10 for you all, Named 'Black" maybe? , both nephews of Mel Blount !!)

Look next year and I bet Lincoln isn't on our QB depth chart in my opinion. He will be playing at another position probably. That was probably his only full game as a QB. Just my guess

ElCid
November 21st, 2018, 12:48 AM
Fair enough. And as a heckle we had our THIRD string QB vs you guys xdrunkyx .. And Won ! Check me next year - Jemar Lincoln played QB vs you guys in Charlestown and beat his cousin (#10 for you all, Named 'Black" maybe? , both nephews of Mel Blount !!)

Look next year and I bet Lincoln isn't on our QB depth chart in my opinion. He will be playing at another position probably. That was probably his only full game as a QB. Just my guess

Rainey is our man now. Did real good against WCU, Samford, and Bama, and I am sure will do well against CSU in a week or so. He has 500 yards rushing in 3 games! And that included low of 79 against Bama. His spark was what led to our huge come back wins against WCU and Samford. Not sure what happened to Black. He was just never very effective. Always seemed a bit timid.

Also, that is why you only scored 21 offensive points.

PaladinFan
November 21st, 2018, 04:22 AM

I would also point out that Citadel also faced Furman's backup QB.

dungeonjoe
November 21st, 2018, 07:06 AM
I would also point out that Citadel also faced Furman's backup QB.
the furman whine gets spilled on every thread of AGS this week. Thanks for strengthening the thread hijack.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2018, 07:19 AM
the furman whine gets spilled on every thread of AGS this week. Thanks for strengthening the thread hijack.I really don't think they can help themselves. I think the only surefire way to get them to leave is if Elon and JSU both win big this weekend.

That said, Go Elon!

dungeonjoe
November 21st, 2018, 07:32 AM
Thank you for introducing me to another entertaining way to waste time on the internet. I like this site.

NDSUtk
November 21st, 2018, 07:41 AM
including the Ohio Mr. Football, as a future QB, but I can all but guarantee we will not burn his redshirt.

Has he played in 4 games already?

I think that's going to be interesting now... Teams can tap into those freshmen a bit if they want. I know NDSU will be using a running back some that had his redshirt pulled last year, and was injured most of this year. He's only played one game so we can use him in 3 if we want.

To me, this could introduce a different dynamic in the playoffs this year for a number of teams.

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2018, 10:25 AM
I wonder why Elon changed their mascot from one of the coolest names in college sports, the Fightin’ Christians. Phoenix is rather cool and unique as well, but still, if it ain’t broke why fix it?

cx500d
November 21st, 2018, 11:36 AM
I wonder why Elon changed their mascot from one of the coolest names in college sports, the Fightin’ Christians. Phoenix is rather cool and unique as well, but still, if it ain’t broke why fix it?

“Christians” could trigger sjw nonchristians

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2018, 11:58 AM
“Christians” could trigger sjw nonchristians

Normally I would agree with you, but this is the South.

My high school mascot was the Indians...that ain't changing!

cx500d
November 21st, 2018, 12:09 PM
Normally I would agree with you, but this is the South.

My high school mascot was the Indians...that ain't changing!

Holy ****, that’s racist. Here in MN (I’m at my parents this week) they long ago forced all the high schools with Indian themed names (even relatively benign ones like “Braves”) to change their names, although there are a couple still with Indian themed names close to reservations or in a town that’s named after an Indian chief.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2018, 12:12 PM
Holy ****, that’s racist. Here in MN (I’m at my parents this week) they long ago forced all the high schools with Indian themed names (even relatively benign ones like “Braves”) to change their names, although there are a couple still with Indian themed names close to reservations or in a town that’s named after an Indian chief.

Our football stadium is called the Reservation. Present Tense.

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2018, 12:25 PM
FWIW. The Gaffney High School Indians are located in Cherokee County, SC...named in honor of the Indian tribe that once frequented this area of the country. Hence the mascot Indians. And the Indians are arguably the premiere football program in the state’s highest classification (5A)....they have a very long history of excellence that includes 17 state titles. To change their mascot name now would really really be difficult to do...a lot of Indian pride and tradition there.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2018, 12:27 PM
oh oh oh!!

And we also have a white guy dressed up like a stereotypical indian. Definitely racist. It's wonderful and terrible.

cx500d
November 21st, 2018, 12:37 PM
FWIW. The Gaffney High School Indians are located in Cherokee County, SC...named in honor of the Indian tribe that once frequented this area of the country. Hence the mascot Indians. And the Indians are arguably the premiere football program in the state’s highest classification (5A)....they have a very long history of excellence that includes 17 state titles. To change their mascot name now would really really be difficult to do...a lot of Indian pride and tradition there.

Mn schools had no problem jettisoning the Indian names.

UND has set the standard of how to do it though; spend a number of years studying the issue while using no name in the interim, hire expensive consultants at boocoo $, come up with some alternate names, run some elections to choose a new name, then choose the absolute worst, spend boocoo more $ to study potential mascots and come up with a mascot that rips off a different mascot.

hoidOfYolen
November 21st, 2018, 12:38 PM
Furman 28- citadel 17

Furman 34 - Wofford 14

These are FACTS
------------

the problem with what you say ElCid is irritates me to the point I might have to pull for Elon. And I don't want to do that. I want to pull for the Conference so our SoCon looks better

besides this is NOT the same Elon team Furman played. It's NOT. Not about OUR QB you dumbazz. It's about the loss of the mofo ELON QB and all- American ELON RB.

Are you you really so dumb as to think this Elon team is the same team Furman played? REALLY? Please reply. I hope you are smarter than you show here because you are making our Conference look DUMB As SHT if you think Elon now is half as good as the Elon of weeks 1-3.

Hell, Wofford and Elon fans KNOW this Elon isn't the same team. The team Furman played beat JMU the next week. Then QB Cheek got hurt, Summers all-AMERICA RB got hurt and they lost 3 of last 5 and are limping into playoffs. Right after those injuries young terrier was posting how the Furman loss was one of them counterfactuals. 

Apparentky you don't get i. Sht now I might have to pull fir Elon and that hurts the SoCon playoffs next year. Not that you all are thinking playoffs any time soon at Citadel. You see we won the SoCon this year at Furman. Went to playoffs last year. And our DC Stags has NEVER lost to the bell hops. He is 6-0 vs you biatches !!!

Jeezus, the sodium from this guy...

cx500d
November 21st, 2018, 12:43 PM
Jeezus, the sodium from this guy...
#MassiveButtHurt

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2018, 01:20 PM
had to go with Wofford in this one, for a few reasons

home
Elon has not seen TO
Elon is snakebit
ELon injuries

Elon will lose by 3 points in what might be the best game of the first round

having second thoughts based on my perceived weakness of the SoCo this year, despite all the intangibles listed above for Wofford, they have a real good chance to get beat by Elon..... in the trenches

Clowns to the left of me Jokers to the right, here Iam stuck in the middle on this one

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2018, 01:31 PM
having second thoughts based on my perceived weakness of the SoCo this year, despite all the intangibles listed above for Wofford, they have a real good chance to get beat by Elon..... in the trenches

Clowns to the left of me Jokers to the right, here Iam stuck in the middle on this one

Not sure why you think that. Wofford held opponents to 3.3 yards per carry this year running the ball. The Socon had 7 teams average 4 yards per carry or more. Wofford also played Wyoming tough OOC and let PC run wild in garbage time in the fourth quarter. It's pretty clear, we have a strong defensive front and we're strong in the trenches in general (I think we're in the top 10 on YPC on offense).

Contrast that with Elon, who only played 2 teams in the top half of the CAA running the ball and yet down the stretch only held one team below 4 ypc. They did well against JMU and Rhode Island, but that seems to be the outlier. And the CAA, for the most part, does not like to run the ball.

Elon is stumbling right now. The same defense that showed up against Furman and JMU could also show up, but I am skeptical given recent trends.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2018, 01:38 PM
Not sure why you think that. Wofford held opponents to 3.3 yards per carry this year running the ball. The Socon had 7 teams average 4 yards per carry or more. Wofford also played Wyoming tough OOC and let PC run wild in garbage time in the fourth quarter. It's pretty clear, we have a strong defensive front and we're strong in the trenches in general (I think we're in the top 10 on YPC on offense).

Contrast that with Elon, who only played 2 teams in the top half of the CAA running the ball and yet down the stretch only held one team below 4 ypc. They did well against JMU and Rhode Island, but that seems to be the outlier. And the CAA, for the most part, does not like to run the ball.

Elon is stumbling right now. The same defense that showed up against Furman and JMU could also show up, but I am skeptical given recent trends.

well this is why the playoffs are so much fun, you can throw the conference stats out the window now...... CAA is just a different beast right now than the SoCo.....

what is the line on this one? I'll guess Wofford -2.5....

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2018, 01:43 PM
I think it’s safe and fair to say that in order to beat Wofford, you typically have to pass the ball. You’re not likely to do it by running the ball. It’s been that way a while...it’s why The Citadel has only beaten us once in like 20 years now.So should Wofford be able to get by Elon, the question will be can KSU pass it against us well enough to win?

ElCid
November 21st, 2018, 02:01 PM
I think it’s safe and fair to say that in order to beat Wofford, you typically have to pass the ball. You’re not likely to do it by running the ball. It’s been that way a while...it’s why The Citadel has only beaten us once in like 20 years now.So should Wofford be able to get by Elon, the question will be can KSU pass it against us well enough to win?

Now, now, it's been twice, get it right. And we have only been run first since 2010 in that span.

PaladinFan
November 21st, 2018, 02:42 PM

Should also note that Elon's offensive line is really good. I think there is at least one NFL draft pick on there and a bunch of guys that have played a lot of football. I do not know if everyone is healthy, but the Phoenix probably have the best offensive line Wofford will have played this year.

Offensively, they are probably a good bit like Mercer. Single back zone read attack. Can throw it enough to pester you. I don't think their style of play is a great matchup against Wofford, but they certainly have some guys up front that can go to work.

gofurman
November 21st, 2018, 05:21 PM
. the furman whine gets spilled on every thread of AGS this week. Thanks for strengthening the thread hijack.

DungeonJoe . You are better than this. Cmon man.

THINK ABOUT THIS . ***If ElCid is gonna lead with 'Furman only scored 21 vs us on offense ' when Furman beat his team 28-17 IN CHARLESTON then we should get a chance to cross-examine/reply ... That's only fair.

AND ElCid was specifically commenting how Citadel played with a lesser QB (though Black was their coaches choice as starter !). I.E. Citadel CHOSE to play one QB over another. Black was the starter. If he's gonna point that out Furman sure as SHT Ought to be able to say it was our THIRD STRING QB we played because starter Roberts (who KILLED Wofford :D !!!!!) was in concussion protocol and Grainger - number two QB had run out of the four game redshirt. So we were playing a guy at QB who is probably a defensive player next year !!!! And we stil won

ElCid
November 21st, 2018, 06:03 PM
DungeonJoe . You are better than this. Cmon man.

THINK ABOUT THIS . ***If ElCid is gonna lead with 'Furman only scored 21 vs us on offense ' when Furman beat his team 28-17 IN CHARLESTON then we should get a chance to cross-examine/reply ... That's only fair.

AND ElCid was specifically commenting how Citadel played with a lesser QB (though Black was their coaches choice as starter !). I.E. Citadel CHOSE to play one QB over another. Black was the starter. If he's gonna point that out Furman sure as SHT Ought to be able to say it was our THIRD STRING QB we played because starter Roberts (who KILLED Wofford :D !!!!!) was in concussion protocol and Grainger - number two QB had run out of the four game redshirt. So we were playing a guy at QB who is probably a defensive player next year !!!! And we stil won

Hey ding dong, you did only score 21 offensive points. Fact. Had we not fumbled, and had a successful drive that late, we win. You threw out you started you so called third string QB in there. Ok fine. I only pointed out that we did not have our best QB in there as well, as evidenced by his performance agaist WCU and Samford, who I think thumped you. So you can pick and choose whatever spin you want, but we still held you to one of your lowest conf point totals. Accept it.

gofurman
November 21st, 2018, 06:24 PM
the furman whine gets spilled on every thread of AGS this week. Thanks for strengthening the thread hijack.

People say Furman hijacks.

I tried to to ask a LEGIT question - if no ones gonna answer questions....

did anyone answer??? Maybe I missed it- who is missing for both teams???

Wofford missing a GREAT DL in Mikel Horton - who else? though Mikel has been missing most all year.

For Elon BIG TIME LOSSES in all star QB Cheek and all-America RB Summers. Anyone else?? Did I hear some OL are out? Which ones?
does Elon still have that great NFL prospect

gofurman
November 21st, 2018, 06:27 PM

Just proves the South is better. LOL.

Heck. It's still the Atlanta Braves !!! SCREW THAT POLITICAL CORRECT CRAP

gofurman
November 21st, 2018, 06:39 PM
Hey ding dong, you did only score 21 offensive points. Fact. Had we not fumbled, and had a successful drive that late, we win. You threw out you started you so called third string QB in there. Ok fine. I only pointed out that we did not have our best QB in there as well, as evidenced by his performance agaist WCU and Samford, who I think thumped you. So you can pick and choose whatever spin you want, but we still held you to one of your lowest conf point totals. Accept it.

Hey DING DONG. I'm picking spin??????

We won. How is that spin?. And Defensive points count. I sure thought they did? LOL.

I think we held you to one of your lowest totals - 17? We scored 28. Staggs OWNS you. He does. Citadel beat USC (that's awesome) and yet Staggs (our DC) beat you TWICE that year. LMAO

YOU are spinning. You say (and I QUOTE) " Had we not fumbled, and had a successful drive that late, we win." IFS AND NUTS. Geez man. Yeah, and were you a better team and actually anywhere near Furmans FOURTEEN SOCON TITLES WHICH LEADS EVERYONE IN THE SOCON. LOL. I guess everyone can dream.

Had YOU NOT FUMBLED ?? WE CAUSED THAT FUMBLE - yes, the FCS NATIONAL LEADER in sacks hit your QB ( and Furamns Adrian Hope is also number ONE IN SOCON FORCED FUMBLES !!). - I mean that ain't a random occurrence that you fumbled when the FCS leader in sacks hits your QB.

Lets chill - ok?

Cmon man. Let's look at Wofford and Elon - I am TRYING to do that. I asked which OL were hurt for Elon. No one seems to care. I guess it's true that no one Cares about FCS?

Which OL Are hurt for Elon? Who else is out for either team??

gofurman
November 21st, 2018, 06:44 PM
#MassiveButtHurt

NO. The Wofford fans know me and many of them plus others (JSUSouutherner) etc admit I am VERY objective. often you have to realize the testosterone / ignorant posts that precede mine. ElCid said how I was gonna be hurt when Wofford beat Elon

is anyone REALLY so ignorant as to not know this ELON team isn't NEARLY the Elon team Furman and JMU played ?? Sometimes the ignorance from certain people kills me

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2018, 07:10 PM
NO. The Wofford fans know me and many of them plus others (JSUSouutherner) etc admit I am VERY objective. often you have to realize the testosterone / ignorant posts that precede mine. ElCid said how I was gonna be hurt when Wofford beat Elon

is anyone REALLY so ignorant as to not know this ELON team isn't NEARLY the Elon team Furman and JMU played ?? Sometimes the ignorance from certain people kills me

Don't drag me into whatever this discussion is.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2018, 07:22 PM
Can we hereby ban all mentions of Furman in this thread?

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2018, 07:22 PM
Can we hereby ban all mentions of Furman in this thread?

cx500d
November 21st, 2018, 07:25 PM
Can we hereby ban all mentions of @#$&*% in this thread?
I wish citdog was reading this now....

EU2000
November 21st, 2018, 08:22 PM

So Elon fans need to reply in any thread regarding anything late season.... “But, but, but, but.....they didn’t see our best. We started our 2nd and 3rd string QB for weeks.” :)

In all sincerity, I pull for both Furman and Wofford when they’re not playing EU. I want no ill feelings between the fans, and would simply just like to see a fun game this weekend.

This will be Elon’s third trip to playoffs since moving to D1. Lost to UR in ‘09 by 3 and to Furman by 1 last season. I would love nothing better than to see a win, but know the Phoenix are up against the wall.

Let’s all raise a glass to a great, hard fought game, that everyone can enjoy. Both schools are again in the post season....that’s something fun for fans to be thankful for.

gofurman
November 21st, 2018, 08:27 PM
I keep trying to ask about THIS game and no one will answer. Apparently people rather talk about Furman than this game - LOL

Ok. On subject

which OL are hurt for Elon or possibly out???

Cheek and Summers (half the team) are out. Who else? Someone said you were missing several OL?? Is the NFL prospect OL out?

anyone for Wofford out other than Horton?? Elon fans - Horton was a big time player at DL for Wofford

EU2000
November 21st, 2018, 08:33 PM
I keep trying to ask about THIS game and no one will answer. Apparently people rather talk about Furman than this game - LOL

Ok. On subject

which OL are hurt for Elon or possibly out???

Cheek and Summers (half the team) are out. Who else? Someone said you were missing several OL?? Is the NFL prospect OL out?

anyone for Wofford out other than Horton?? Elon fans - Horton was a big time player at DL for Wofford

77.5% of the players for Elon are out. They’re having to dig deep to find replacements. Word is, but this is a huge secret, that players from the back to back national title teams of ‘80 & ‘81 will suit up. But seriously, that doesn’t leave here. If that goes outside of here, Elon is doomed.

gofurman
November 21st, 2018, 08:43 PM
77.5% of the players for Elon are out. They’re having to dig deep to find replacements. Word is, but this is a huge secret, that players from the back to back national title teams of ‘80 & ‘81 will suit up. But seriously, that doesn’t leave here. If that goes outside of here, Elon is doomed.

Haha. Anyone with actual information on which guys I should watch for ? As in we are NOT giving away any secrets. Just "look for this guy". As in who was that great OL Elon had? What name/number? That's NOT a trade secret. It encourages me to go the game and then LOok for him. Wofford coaches already know who it is and did he play vs Maine. If Wofford coaches dint know that much then Elon has already won. Lol

I'll actually give a STAT since no one else Cares to-
Elon hasn't won an away game since October 6 !!! Partially because they have been at home a lot but I think they are 0-2 on the road since upsetting JMU On road. I think they lost to Maine and Delaware on road since

whoanellie
November 21st, 2018, 08:52 PM
with Boiling Springs SC grad #11, Daniel Thompson now starting at QB I wonder if We will get some local following? His brother also did in fact played QB for USC. maybe their band could show up?

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2018, 08:59 PM
with Boiling Springs SC grad #11, Daniel Thompson now starting at QB I wonder if We will get some local following? His brother also did in fact played QB for USC. maybe their band could show up?Interesting.

But unfortunately, Spartanburg forgets Wofford exists and couldn't tell you that the Terriers have won more games in the last 4 years than the gamecocks so there likely won't be any hype.

EU2000
November 21st, 2018, 09:07 PM
Interesting.
But unfortunately, Spartanburg forgets Wofford exists and couldn't tell you that the Terriers have won more games in the last 4 years than the gamecocks so there likely won't be any hype.

Oh that’s a fun stat to hold over the heads of the USC folks..... :)

hoidOfYolen
November 21st, 2018, 09:26 PM
Haha. Anyone with actual information on which guys I should watch for ? As in we are NOT giving away any secrets. Just "look for this guy". As in who was that great OL Elon had? What name/number? That's NOT a trade secret. It encourages me to go the game and then LOok for him. Wofford coaches already know who it is and did he play vs Maine. If Wofford coaches dint know that much then Elon has already won. Lol

I'll actually give a STAT since no one else Cares to-
Elon hasn't won an away game since October 6 !!! Partially because they have been at home a lot but I think they are 0-2 on the road since upsetting JMU On road. I think they lost to Maine and Delaware on road since

The NFL prospect is Oli Udoh, and as far as I know he's healthy. We also have a good few others on the line that IMO should be NFL prospects, but I guess you can't always get what you want. We have another OLineman down for the year, but he's just a freshman. Oli is legit though, you can watch film of him and see why. His footwork is the best part, IMO. Really swift guy for as big as he is.

gofurman
November 22nd, 2018, 01:24 AM
The NFL prospect is Oli Udoh, and as far as I know he's healthy. We also have a good few others on the line that IMO should be NFL prospects, but I guess you can't always get what you want. We have another OLineman down for the year, but he's just a freshman. Oli is legit though, you can watch film of him and see why. His footwork is the best part, IMO. Really swift guy for as big as he is.

hoidOfYolen, THANKS ! Furman and Elon peeps talking football !!! Udoh. Ok. I'll check him out whether I go or catch ESPN. What number is he if you don't mind?

You see, this doesn't reveal some injury secret... Just merely guys I want to watch

as for injuries. Simply how many OL are missing. Two? Three? What is your basic MO with the backup QBs?

Runs up the middle. Runs to the edge??. If I recall you all don't really pitch it or run option it's mostly pro-set so runs between tackles with basic handoffs unless your RB sees a hole outside?? Is that right? I.E. like a pro team ??

what can your QBs do effectively and do you use two QBs now or have you all settled on one? How many games has each played?

ElCid
November 22nd, 2018, 07:24 AM
Interesting.

I might have gone to the game if I didn't have family in town. I'm only a little over an hour away. Like Furman and us, getting the non grad locals out and excited for anything other than the Tigers or Cocks is hard.

whoanellie
November 22nd, 2018, 08:39 AM
The NFL prospect is Oli Udoh, and as far as I know he's healthy. We also have a good few others on the line that IMO should be NFL prospects, but I guess you can't always get what you want. We have another OLineman down for the year, but he's just a freshman. Oli is legit though, you can watch film of him and see why. His footwork is the best part, IMO. Really swift guy for as big as he is. actually came to Elon as a 16-year-old @ #373 and as transformed into a #340 6-5 man. forty-four consecutive starts. our OL is really our strongest unit. 2 1st team all CAA Toogood is Too-good!!! played out of position all season LT after injury to Cromer is 1st Quarter of USF game.

UpstateBison
November 22nd, 2018, 08:40 AM
I will be at the game and look forward to some good FCS football.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2018, 09:05 AM
On a side note I really do appreciate socon fans saying they'd like to come to our game

dungeonjoe
November 22nd, 2018, 09:33 AM
On a side note I really do appreciate socon fans saying they'd like to come to our game

and even non-SoCon fans. I think I have seen the distinctive Bison colors across the way in Gibbs Stadium before. That kind of love for the game is special...unless it was a scout for the Bison:)

FUBeAR
November 22nd, 2018, 09:43 AM
and even non-SoCon fans. I think I have seen the distinctive Bison colors across the way in Gibbs Stadium before. That kind of love for the game is special...unless it was a scout for the Bison:)
Well, I won’t be in SparkleCity on Saturday, but I will be pulling HARD for our SoCon RatDogs to crucify the Formerly Fightin’ Former Christians...and I very well may be in attendance the following week in that Ladies’ Soccer Stadium in Southeast Acworth cheering for the AnkleBiters to clip the owlets’ wings.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2018, 09:53 AM
Well, I won’t be in SparkleCity on Saturday, but I will be pulling HARD for our SoCon RatDogs to crucify the Formerly Fightin’ Former Christians...and I very well may be in attendance the following week in that Ladies’ Soccer Stadium in Southeast Acworth cheering for the AnkleBiters to clip the owlets’ wings.If we are fortunate enough to advance, me and DJ are going to try to go to Kennesaw (my birthday present to him)

gofurman
November 22nd, 2018, 12:41 PM

DJ. I am trying to come to the game in person. - sadly, that's more than a lot of casual Wofford grads ( that's not a jab- we definitely have the same issue at Furman!!). Appreciate your Furman brethren.

woffordgrad94
November 22nd, 2018, 05:40 PM
Oh, no problem because you are right on target gofurman. Our attendance is not what I think it should be. If we were a perennial 2-9 team I could more understand the modest gate numbers. But some 2-9 teams outdraw us. And being a small school is a lousy excuse. It’s frustrating to me that so many in the South think that Big 5 football like Clemson and the very mediocre Lamecocks (who have lost to The Citadel TWICE that I know of and almost lost to us once) is the only college football worth watching. But I guess that’s just the world we live in. Folks are missing out on a lot of good football.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2018, 06:07 PM
It's because Wofford is a small school with limited ties to the community for reasons that are complicated. If we had played D1 for 40 years instead of 20 like Furman we'd probably have another 1000 fans in the stands but I dunno

fc97
November 22nd, 2018, 06:39 PM
What can you do. Part of it has to do with private school alumni scattering after graduation. Elon has the same problem, attendance between abysmal and now is really only about 1500, and people staying until end of games.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2018, 06:44 PM
Wofford has about 1600 students and less than 20,000 living alumni. I lived in the area in high school and very few people even knew or cared about Wofford having a football team.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2018, 06:58 PM
I think Elon's got this one, basing my guess off Wofford vs Samford game, Wofford not looking that good

woffordgrad94
November 22nd, 2018, 07:07 PM
I think Elon's got this one, basing my guess off Wofford vs Samford game, Wofford not looking that good
If you based everything on that Samford game Wofford wouldn’t even be in the playoffs. Samford has our number like no one else. I can’t explain it.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2018, 07:14 PM
If you based everything on that Samford game Wofford wouldn’t even be in the playoffs. Samford has our number like no one else. I can’t explain it.

I see, it's a beautiful day and game looks real good on roku, Hodges has been doing pretty much anything he wants to, pass pass pass..... one thing I'm pretty sure of is Elon will be the best FCS team you played this year, problems against the good teams, only win against a good team is East Tenny State and who knows if they are really good

I'm not a Wofford hater, nothing but respect, just trying to pick a winner

woffordgrad94
November 22nd, 2018, 07:20 PM
Hodges is tons better than the third-string Boiling Springs high school QB Elon will be using. My high school, Dorman, DESTROYS Boiling Springs every year! Dorman made this guy’s life a living hell...I remember heckling him.

Plus Samford knows how to defend our option offense tons better than fElon, E-Loan, or whatever you wish to call them. Oops, I’m starting to lean towards posts that might belong on the smack board...:D xsmiley_wix I really have nothing against EU- I’m sure it’s a fine institution.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2018, 07:43 PM
Hodges is tons better than the third-string Boiling Springs high school QB Elon will be using. My high school, Dorman, DESTROYS Boiling Springs every year! Dorman made this guy’s life a living hell...I remember heckling him.

Plus Samford knows how to defend our option offense tons better than fElon, E-Loan, or whatever you wish to call them. Oops, I’m starting to lean towards posts that might belong on the smack board...:D xsmiley_wix I really have nothing against EU- I’m sure it’s a fine institution.

what happened to Jalen Greene?

I dont know, so now Elon is using the third Stinger Thompson, a Senior, looks like he can launch the long ball now...... not much mobility

woffordgrad94
November 22nd, 2018, 07:55 PM
what happened to Jalen Greene?

I dont know, so now Elon is using the third Stinger Thompson, a Senior, looks like he can launch the long ball now...... not much mobility
That mobility (or lack thereof) is why he got pummeled by Dorman. Sack after sack after sack in a 49-7 loss. He does indeed have a nice arm, as he showed against the lightweights on Boiling Springs’ schedule, but you can’t throw it if people are always tackling you. Now it could indeed be that comparing what he did against Dorman a few years ago to what he might or might not do Saturday against Wofford is like comparing apples to oranges, but I still cannot help but feel confident knowing this kid is playing QB against us. Now if Elon was at full strength like they were against Furman and JMU then Wofford would be a very sizable underdog and I would freely admit to it.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2018, 08:10 PM
That mobility (or lack thereof) is why he got pummeled by Dorman. Sack after sack after sack in a 49-7 loss. He does indeed have a nice arm, as he showed against the lightweights on Boiling Springs’ schedule, but you can’t throw it if people are always tackling you. Now it could indeed be that comparing what he did against Dorman a few years ago to what he might or might not do Saturday against Wofford is like comparing apples to oranges, but I still cannot help but feel confident knowing this kid is playing QB against us. Now if Elon was at full strength like they were against Furman and JMU then Wofford would be a very sizable underdog and I would freely admit to it.

thats a nice report, but as you know, Wofford better not let the Elon QB get comfy back in the pocket or he is going to be launching some TD passes

woffordgrad94
November 22nd, 2018, 08:30 PM
Oh if he gets comfy Wofford will have a problem. I’m just thinking (hoping) the fact that he’s slow will work to our advantage...

whoanellie
November 23rd, 2018, 10:20 AM
if He is able to play I think you just might see Greene in several wildcat and red zone opportunities like He was used along with Cheek earlier in the season. Also having Thomas at full strength is an asset for Thompson. Our OL is maybe the best of all-time at D-1. and our Defense does travel well.
I always respect a Wofford team and what they do. Elon has nothing to lose but win the game. If We take that attitude We will give it they're all.

ming01
November 23rd, 2018, 12:04 PM
CAA v SoCo

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2018, 12:56 PM
Already a thread

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2018, 12:58 PM
Already a thread

But not a poll. Hence this one.

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2018, 01:41 PM
But not a poll. Hence this one.

Tapatalk is a bitch about this xlolx

gofurman
November 23rd, 2018, 10:57 PM
if He is able to play I think you just might see Greene in several wildcat and red zone opportunities like He was used along with Cheek earlier in the season. Also having Thomas at full strength is an asset for Thompson. Our OL is maybe the best of all-time at D-1. and our Defense does travel well.
I always respect a Wofford team and what they do. Elon has nothing to lose but win the game. If We take that attitude We will give it they're all.

Good grief, is Greene a maybe also??

you do have Udi and Toogood healthy on OL right?

gofurman
November 23rd, 2018, 11:10 PM

You are welcome. xrotatehx It's TOUGH (real tough) for a Furman guy to pull for Wofford but I guess I will for Conference . Objectively I will say the Elon OL is NASTY - like they said a PRO possibility and another star in Toogood

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 08:47 AM
You are welcome. xrotatehx It's TOUGH (real tough) for a Furman guy to pull for Wofford but I guess I will for Conference . Objectively I will say the Elon OL is NASTY - like they said a PRO possibility and another star in Toogood

The SoCon needs more respect nationally. If our autobid can't beat a wounded 6th CAA team at home in the post season, that isn't going to look good for anyone.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 08:53 AM
I think all the publications predicting this game are selling the terriers short. Yes, Elon, whalloped Furman, but its pretty apparent that was an outlier game which suggest something crazy was up.

Elon had season highs in terms of points scored and season lows on points given up against Furman. They have not repeated that performance.

Meanwhile, they have a middle tier run defense against a CAA that just doesn't run th ball like the Socon. On top of that, most of their CAA opponents didn't run the ball as a strength this year.

So long as Wofford doesn't turn the ball over, I think we win this one comfortably. I just don't think Elon has the defense to hold us below 20 and I don't think they will have the passing game to match us.

Turnovers are obviously an equalizer. But if we don't turn the ball over I don't see us losing.

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 09:02 AM
I think all the publications predicting this game are selling the terriers short. Yes, Elon, whalloped Furman, but its pretty apparent that was an outlier game which suggest something crazy was up.

Elon had season highs in terms of points scored and season lows on points given up against Furman. They have not repeated that performance.

Meanwhile, they have a middle tier run defense against a CAA that just doesn't run th ball like the Socon. On top of that, most of their CAA opponents didn't run the ball as a strength this year.

So long as Wofford doesn't turn the ball over, I think we win this one comfortably. I just don't think Elon has the defense to hold us below 20 and I don't think they will have the passing game to match us.

Turnovers are obviously an equalizer. But if we don't turn the ball over I don't see us losing.

Maybe they did not repeat that performance because it is a reflection on Furman? You are saying that JMU does not run the ball like the SoCon? Will you be at the game today?

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Maybe they did not repeat that performance because it is a reflection on Furman? You are saying that JMU does not run the ball like the SoCon? Will you be at the game today?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI will be.

As for JMU, let's remember they had (still have?) an offensive rut beginning with that game. Stony Brook was also a bubble team of questionable quality and they scored less on them than Albany.

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 09:20 AM

We've sort of gone over this.

Elon got Furman for the third time in a year at home. The Paladins were breaking in a new offensive coordinator, and had to play a true freshman backup QB (who had exactly 1 season as a high school QB and a couple dozen plays at Clemson under his belt).

Elon out played us, but a lot of that had to do with the QB position. We turned the ball over three times - two lost fumbles by QBs and an interception. One fumble was a scoop and score early that set the tone for the game. It was just an ugly effort.

Furman's run game was fine - 195 yards. The passing attack was abysmal. The QBs couldn't hang onto the ball, and when they did, they couldn't hit receivers. The Phoneix notched 3 sacks. It is no secret, of course, that Furman was a much better team in 2018 with Harris Roberts. He didn't play in this game.

It's not a shocking result. Furman started exactly 1 senior on offense, 4 sophomores on the OL, and a true freshman QB, on the road, against a good team. The defense played well early, but were put in so many compromising positions by the offense that it was only a matter of time before Elon's big offensive line started to wear down the Paladin front.

The scoreline was bad looking. From what I've read, many in the Furman community seem to think that Elon got the benefit of playing short handed later in the season, but Furman didn't get the same benefit of the doubt early in the season. If the two teams played tomorrow, I think you'd see a very close game between two clubs that played to a darn near draw twice last season.

Again, we can't do anything about the result, but I think there was a lot baked into the cake in that game that created an ugly score line. I don't think Elon is 38 points better than Furman.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Elon not a full strength....Wofford wins easily IMO.

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Elon not a full strength....Wofford wins easily IMO.

I think even at full strength, this would be a tough game for Elon.

Not only is the option difficult to defend when you only have a few days, but Elon's offense is, I think, going to be a poor matchup against Wofford's defense. What Elon does well just tends to play right into what Wofford does well defensively.

Of course, Elon may have already been preparing for the option. I know I mentioned that Elon/Wofford seemed like an inevitable playoff matchup weeks ago. Maybe their coaching staff thought the same.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 09:39 AM
Elon is beat up on offense, but on defense they are about the same.

I'm just skeptical of their run defense. Yes, they did well against JMU, but JMU has been hit and miss this year, struggling to get to 4ypc. Elon was a leading indicator for JMU's problems.

The CAA is a pro set conference. I don't think Elon will be ready for Wofford, full strength or not.

I also think Wofford's defense is slightly better than Furman's. It's hard to measure how good Furman's defense was this year because they were young and got better as time went on, but they let up more yards and points on common opponents than Wofford did (on the top of my head: ETSU, Mercer, Western Carolina, maybe the citadel in terms of yardage and defensive points).

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 10:07 AM
This is really Wofford’s first FCS OOC game as GWU and Presbyterian don’t count. I think it will be a good game. Elon lost at Maine due to 2 kick returns for TD’s. I think Wofford wins 24-21.

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 10:18 AM
This is really Wofford’s first FCS OOC game as GWU and Presbyterian don’t count. I think it will be a good game. Elon lost at Maine due to 2 kick returns for TD’s. I think Wofford wins 24-21.

Clay Hendrix has commented a few times that it is difficult to gauge how good the CAA teams are because they don't all play one another.

Hard to know how good Maine is. It is bizarre that a team could win a conference title and not play the teams that finished 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in the conference. It'd be like ETSU winning the autobid without playing Wofford, Furman, and Samford.

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 10:28 AM

I'm just skeptical of their run defense. Yes, they did well against JMU, but JMU has been hit and miss this year, struggling to get to 4ypc. Elon was a leading indicator for JMU's problems.

The CAA is a pro set conference. I don't think Elon will be ready for Wofford, full strength or not.

I also think Wofford's defense is slightly better than Furman's. It's hard to measure how good Furman's defense was this year because they were young and got better as time went on, but they let up more yards and points on common opponents than Wofford did (on the top of my head: ETSU, Mercer, Western Carolina, maybe the citadel in terms of yardage and defensive points).

I don't disagree with that. Furman's defense was hit or miss all season. At times, they looked barely competent. Other times, they looked like the league's premier unit. You could just watch the ETSU game and see that.

I have no issue with saying Wofford had a stronger defense. In fact, leading into the season I said Conklin would probably have a fairly smooth transition in year 1 because Wofford had so many strong defensive starters returning.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Yeah I don't think any case can be made that the CAA is all that tougher than the socon this year. We will obviously know better this afternoon.

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Maybe they did not repeat that performance because it is a reflection on Furman?You are exactly right.

That game was absolutely a true reflection of Furman on that day, just as it was of E*Loan on that day.

Today is not that day.

If Furman was playing, it would not be that day.

E*Loan is playing and it won’t be that early September day for the Formerly Fightin’ Former Christians either.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 24th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Almost show time!

katss07
November 24th, 2018, 12:51 PM
Two fun teams going at it in a playoff showdown! Excited for this game!

hoidOfYolen
November 24th, 2018, 01:00 PM

Our run defense is legit, that I can tell you. It's our pass defense that has holes. Our coverages look like deer in the headlights, with reactive play instead of proactive. Part of that is running a zone almost exclusively, but the other part is just bad coaching on the cornerback and safety positions. We rely on sacks and QB hurries to hurt the pass game. Our run defense is definitely our strength, and it shows when you watch us play. We can stuff the box and play sideline to sideline when needed. The team is well coached at the Lineman and Linebacker positions and the team knows how to play against an option offense. Their execution against a really good option offense is what is up in the air.

TBH, I feel like our downfall is Tight Ends as blockers/receivers. We look like we simply don't know what to do when TEs line up, and we saw last time Wofford trounced Elon back in 2008, when the Terriers employ a shakeup of TEs all of a sudden, we don't know what to do. I REALLY hope that doesn't happen today.

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Unfortunately, I do not think we have 1,000 fans in attendance.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 24th, 2018, 01:11 PM
My ESPN3 isn't working for any of the games.

katss07
November 24th, 2018, 01:12 PM
My ESPN3 isn't working for any of the games.
Same! Wtf ESPN?!

No_Skill
November 24th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Mine works. Try logging out and then back in.

Lorne_Malvo
November 24th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Mine is working fine.

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Wofford 3-0 with 6:32 left in 1st.

Bison56
November 24th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Elon needs get the runner down when they get their hands o them.

katss07
November 24th, 2018, 01:17 PM
I have error code 0033-User not authorized for content. I’ve signed in with the provider and it doesn’t work. Maybe I’ll unplug the roku or redownload the app. Because ESPN3 should be free with the package.

Looks like Woffy scored a FG.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 24th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Same! Wtf ESPN?!

This is crazy! I've never had this issue! It gets to the logo screen but it doesn't go into "play mode".

Lorne_Malvo
November 24th, 2018, 01:18 PM
I have error code 0033-User not authorized for content. I’ve signed in with the provider and it doesn’t work. Maybe I’ll unplug the roku or redownload the app. Because ESPN3 should be free with the package.

Looks like Woffy scored a FG.
I have had that before. Logging out/in always fixes it.

cx500d
November 24th, 2018, 01:19 PM
mines fine, but I use appletv

Bison56
November 24th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Elon moving the ball well this drive.

Bison56
November 24th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Wofford 3 Elon 0 end of 1st Q

hoidOfYolen
If Elon can't get in the end zone while starting downs on the 1 yard line I'm not hopeful for this game...

Edit: We have the second best red-zone efficiency in the country with 31 TDs through 33 attempts. We HAVE to score here.

Reign of Terrier
This game is progressing slower than I thought

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Wofford 3 Elon 0 end of 1st Q

I continue to wonder if me and a couple overweight frat boys could move the ball behind Elon's offensive line. Those fellas are mammoths.

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Commentators noting that Wofford has a good run defense. They do, but it comes with a huge asterisk. They don't play themselves.

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Elon 7-3. 14:23 left in 2nd.

Bison56
November 24th, 2018, 01:34 PM
TD Elon

Bison56
November 24th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Elons tackling is terrible.

xdrunkyxAnd as I say this they make a couple nice tackles.

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Play of the game may be the field judge losing his feet, recovering, and sprinting down the field in front of Lovelace.

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 01:43 PM
This is not the sort of game Wofford wants to be playing.

My guess is Elon's 3-3-5 defense is giving the Terrier's blocking schemes trouble. Rarely do you see so many unblocked defenders making tackles on the edges.

Lorne_Malvo
November 24th, 2018, 01:57 PM
Elon needs to focus less on trying to strip the ball and just tackle the runner.

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Elon 7-6. 2:09 left.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 02:02 PM
Elon defense is doing what they need to to win. Wofford's moving the ball but is kept out of the end zone.

hoidOfYolen
November 24th, 2018, 02:02 PM
Elon 7-6. 2:09 left.

Really proud of how our team has played overall this first half. We have a chance to score again coming into the second half as well, where Wofford will get the ball back. We've given up some big runs but also made some big stops.

ksu_owls
November 24th, 2018, 02:03 PM
Wofford please win.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Bad clock management by Wofford at the end of the half

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Makes me feel a little better about Furman's effort. Wofford is facing a fraction of the team Furman saw, playing them at home, and is losing.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 02:13 PM
Glancing at stats this is what I expected except for Wofford's ineffectiveness on third down. That's the difference right now. Credit to Elon. Going in, I didn't think a close game meant well for Wofford because it indicated positive things by Elon. Still got a half to go.

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Wofford should win this game. They are moving the ball much better and stalling out in the redzone.

I think the scheme of the Elon defense - which is a unique one - is giving Wofford trouble. The Phoenix have the biggest NT Wofford has seen this year (I think he's 340 or something ridiculous) and he seems to be holding the middle pretty well. Get the blocking figured on the edge against Elon's hybrid safeties, and those outside runs should open up.

Elon is a bit unique in they are giving massive cushions to Wofford receivers and charging downhill hard against the pitch. They are big inside and are going to try to limit Wofford's inside game without bringing extra men. It looks like Wofford is finding it difficult to figure out who to block at the second level because the OLBs are on the line but the safeties and CBs are all hovering 7-10 yards off the ball.

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Bad clock management by Wofford at the end of the half

Did you want them to throw a pass?

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Did you want them to throw a pass?

YT thinks Wofford is the 99 Rams and not an option team.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 02:22 PM
YT thinks Wofford is the 99 Rams and not an option team.

2018 Rams > 1999 Rams

Don't @ me.

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 02:25 PM
2018 Rams > 1999 Rams

Don't @ me.

Todd Gurley > rest of 2018 Rams

TheKingpin28
November 24th, 2018, 02:27 PM
2018 Rams > 1999 Rams

Don't @ me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Todd Gurley > rest of 2018 RamsAaron Donald may have something to say about that.

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Wofford 13-7. 9:30 left in 3 TD.

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Elon fumble. Wofford ball at 30.

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Wofford field goal. 16-7. 4:36 left in 3rd. Southern Bison gets props for helping me with color commentary.

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Why send 7 on 3rd & 15?

...seems to be a better plan to leave some DB’s in coverage, huh?

cx500d
November 24th, 2018, 02:58 PM
annnnd elon throws a pick

hoidOfYolen
November 24th, 2018, 03:01 PM
annnnd elon throws a pick

This was a heartbreaker. So many things that could have gone differently: The pass is slightly longer, the pass is batted down by Kortez Weeks, or Weeks catches it over the head of the defender. It seemed like it went right through his hands and hit the guy's helmet. If he gets his hands on it it likely doesn't bounce up like it did.

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Elon’s solid red zone D combined with Woffy’s lack of a bona fide passing game (despite YT’s claims to the contrary), & 3 DAP’s on Woffy’s D on Elon’s only scoring drive are what has kept this game from being a complete SoCon over CAA blowout.

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 03:20 PM
The clock did not stop after that completion out of bounds.

hoidOfYolen
November 24th, 2018, 03:22 PM
The clock did not stop after that completion out of bounds.

I saw that too. That was frustrating.

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 03:22 PM
3rd time this game that clock has not stopped after a 1st down or out of bounds play. All when Elon has had the ball.

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Game over. Incomplete pass.

fc97
November 24th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Oh well, was a fun first half of the season, congrats Wofford. Another disappointing first round loss.

hoidOfYolen
November 24th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Game over. Incomplete pass.

That pass was a little behind Taylor, but still catchable. Terrible way to effectively lose the game.

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Haven’t been watching the clock, but there has been some kind of change to the rules as to when the clock stops these days. I don’t know the rule, but it probably cost the HS I worked with a State Championship last year. Also noticed it in the ETSU @ Mercer game...or maybe it was Furman @ Mercer.

Anyone know what I mean & what the rule is - has something to do with whether the ball carrier goes out on his own or is knocked out...I think...and may only be in effect after a certain time in the 2nd & 4th quarter...but I really don’t know it.

hoidOfYolen
November 24th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Haven’t been watching the clock, but there has been some kind of change to the rules as to when the clock stops these days. I don’t know the rule, but it probably cost the HS I worked with a State Championship last year. Also noticed it in the ETSU @ Mercer game...or maybe it was Furman @ Mercer.

Anyone know what I mean & what the rule is - has something to do with whether the ball carrier goes out on his own or is knocked out...I think...and may only be in effect after a certain time in the 2nd & 4th quarter...but I really don’t know it.

I think the rule is that if the offensive player is hit inbounds and tackled while going out of bounds, the clock keeps running. But if the player gets out of bounds before being forced out of bounds, the clock stops.

kdinva
November 24th, 2018, 03:36 PM
I think the rule is that if the offensive player is hit inbounds and tackled while going out of bounds, the clock keeps running. But if the player gets out of bounds before being forced out of bounds, the clock stops.

yes, forward momentum stopped, clock keeps running. Out of bounds, clock starts at the "ready for play" by the white cap, except for last 2 minutes if each half.....

hoidOfYolen
November 24th, 2018, 03:41 PM
GG Wofford. You played a great second half.

kdinva
November 24th, 2018, 03:44 PM
now, Woffy @ Kenny. State.........what's the over/under for how long this game will take?

Cocky
November 24th, 2018, 03:45 PM
now, Woffy @ Kenny. State.........what's the over/under for how long this game will take?

45 minutes

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 03:51 PM
yes, forward momentum stopped, clock keeps running. Out of bounds, clock starts at the "ready for play" by the white cap, except for last 2 minutes if each half.....

Thanks for the clarification.

Bisonator
November 24th, 2018, 03:52 PM
Congrats to the Terriers!

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 04:04 PM
For the record, my comment on the bad clock management had little to do with passing strategy and more to do with having 3 timeouts and not trying to use them.

This game went about as I expected with some major caveats and props to Elon. Elon out-executed us on third down on both sides of the ball. We definitely made more big plays and forced some key turnovers and fourth down stops.

I think the game is different with cheek at QB, but the makeup of this one was just like the JMU game where Elon kept getting stops, forcing the opposition to kick field goals.

You have to give some credit to Wofford's defense though. Elon averaged 220 yards per game on the ground and Wofford held them under 60 with less than 2 yards per carry.

Contrary to what others may say I think, I don't think Wofford is a national title contender this year, but I like our chances against Kennesaw. We are very good against run first teams. If you can run the ball well AND you have a good QB (NDSU and SDSU come to mind) like Furman did this year we are in TROUBLE.

Having said all that, major props to Elon. They are a very good team and represented the CAA better than any other team from that conference this round. Had they gotten a better draw, I think they could have made the quarterfinals.

whoanellie
November 24th, 2018, 04:12 PM
I am sure this was a typical Wofford victory You beat us and good game and best wishes the rest of the playoffs for sure. I regret We could not field our best team due to injuries. Moving forward We need to have key people heal and work towards that first playoff victory.
For the record, my comment on the bad clock management had little to do with passing strategy and more to do with having 3 timeouts and not trying to use them.

This game went about as I expected with some major caveats and props to Elon. Elon out-executed us on third down on both sides of the ball. We definitely made more big plays and forced some key turnovers and fourth down stops.

I think the game is different with cheek at QB, but the makeup of this one was just like the JMU game where Elon kept getting stops, forcing the opposition to kick field goals.

You have to give some credit to Wofford's defense though. Elon averaged 220 yards per game on the ground and Wofford held them under 60 with less than 2 yards per carry.

Contrary to what others may say I think, I don't think Wofford is a national title contender this year, but I like our chances against Kennesaw. We are very good against run first teams. If you can run the ball well AND you have a good QB (NDSU and SDSU come to mind) like Furman did this year we are in TROUBLE.

Having said all that, major props to Elon. They are a very good team and represented the CAA better than any other team from that conference this round. Had they gotten a better draw, I think they could have made the quarterfinals.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 04:16 PM
I am sure this was a typical Wofford victory You beat us and good game and best wishes the rest of the playoffs for sure. I regret We could not field our best team due to injuries. Moving forward We need to have key people heal and work towards that first playoff victory.Yeah, if Cheek plays I'm not sure how this one goes. Thompson played well, but was off on couple throws. I will pull for you guys next year and that you get a seed because I really do want to see you guys see some success and I don't want Wofford to get in the way of that.

UpstateBison
November 24th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Good win for Wofford.

CommishBigSmooth
November 24th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Solid win for Wofford. They definitely have a shot next week. Would have been nice to see Elon at full strength but that's the breaks.

EU2000
November 24th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Yeah, if Cheek plays I'm not sure how this one goes. Thompson played well, but was off on couple throws. I will pull for you guys next year and that you get a seed because I really do want to see you guys see some success and I don't want Wofford to get in the way of that.

With literally half of the starters out for Elon and playing the 3rd string QB, I didn’t think my team had a shot. But, I thought the D was going to keep this a game.

Those 2 miscues by Thompson sealed it for you in the 3rd. With how your team manages the clock, it is nearly impossible for a comeback if you’re down.

Good luck next round. You’ll have my support! I always enjoy watching Wofford play!

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 05:43 PM
With literally half of the starters out for Elon and playing the 3rd string QB, I didn’t think my team had a shot. But, I thought the D was going to keep this a game.

Those 2 miscues by Thompson sealed it for you in the 3rd. With how your team manages the clock, it is nearly impossible for a comeback if you’re down.

Good luck next round. You’ll have my support! I always enjoy watching Wofford play!Agreed. Elon impressed me on third down on both sides of the ball, but Wofford's strength in the trenches on the defense is underrated

gofurman
November 24th, 2018, 06:35 PM

Good luck next round. You’ll have my support! I always enjoy watching Wofford play!

It is a shame Elon was so hurt. Hate that for anyone.

Good win for SOCON. Good job Wofford

( Maybe next year next year the committee will do what they say is a consideration and look at if you 'finish strong'. Elon lost 3of last 5 games. Firman won 6 of last 7. Just playin. Had to throw that in for giggles. :D The committee CLEARLY has their own agenda ).

Just playin. Back on point. Good win. Maybe someday people will realize SoCon is good.

Good job Wofford ! Hope Elon and Cheek have a more healthy year next year. That stinks for the Elon guys - it does. You guys were GREAT before you lost about 7 guys.... You'll be back. You have a Great coach !

fc97
November 24th, 2018, 09:39 PM
Elon fans, enough with the starters out, it's excuses. We executed pretty well with the personnel that we had. And losing players is parto if normal seasons for teams. I just don't want to take away from Wofford's win.

Wofford executed really well right when they needed to.

Besides, I'd rather lose it Wofford and Furman (who I consider peers) the Duquense.

The game, despite the score, was actually a good game.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Elon fans, enough with the starters out, it's excuses. We executed pretty well with the personnel that we had. And losing players is parto if normal seasons for teams. I just don't want to take away from Wofford's win.

Wofford executed really well right when they needed to.

Besides, I'd rather lose it Wofford and Furman (who I consider peers) the Duquense.

The game, despite the score, was actually a good game.

That caveat isn't even necessary. The score was pretty close. Elon has nothing to be ashamed of.

phoenix3
November 25th, 2018, 07:32 AM
That caveat isn't even necessary. The score was pretty close. Elon has nothing to be ashamed of.
Agree here. Pretty proud of our replacements for stepping up and making a game against this very experienced playoff team. Congratulations to Wofford on the win. I’ll be pulling for you the rest of the way.