PDA

View Full Version : #24 ETSU @ #14 Jacksonville State 2018 Round 1 Thread

Pages : [1] 2

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Alright you salty Furman fans, tell me all the reasons we aren't going to blow ETSU out.

katss07
November 18th, 2018, 12:38 PM
ETSU and the SoCon are weak. OVC and SLC will soon pass them up as best southern conferences. That’ll show here. The Bucs have snuck past weak competition all year long. JSU will beat them and win their first playoff game in a while.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 18th, 2018, 12:51 PM
The Southern Conference is one of most competitive conferences in FCS. ETSU has solid coaching by someone who has been to the mountaintop and knows what it takes to get there. I expect a competitive game that can go either way but I wouldn't bet against Randy Sanders at your own peril.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 18th, 2018, 01:03 PM
JSU will win this one easily.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 01:07 PM
JSU 31 ETSU 27 #bookit

I hate you.

SU DOG
November 18th, 2018, 01:14 PM
I would like to think ETSU will be competitive, but I don't. The matchup I was hoping for would have had ETSU vs SEMO, and I think the Bucs would have won that one. JSU, when they play focused and discipled, are a threat to beat lots of teams in FCS.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2018, 01:20 PM
Here's the deal:

Socon isn't down, it's as competitive as ever. SLC people can keep playing the wishful thinking game

Still, I think ETSU is a year away. But then again, we don't know as much about Jacksonville state as one would think by virtue of them playing in the OVC and they going 0-2 in some tough but weird OOC games.

I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome except an ETSU blowout win. Because that's my intuition, I think JSU will win.

But I don't think it will be easy for the Gamecocks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
November 18th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Here's the deal:

Socon isn't down, it's as competitive as ever. SLC people can keep playing the wishful thinking game

Still, I think ETSU is a year away. But then again, we don't know as much about Jacksonville state as one would think by virtue of them playing in the OVC and they going 0-2 in some tough but weird OOC games.

I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome except an ETSU blowout win. Because that's my intuition, I think JSU will win.

But I don't think it will be easy for the Gamecocks

I pretty much agree with all of this.....Woffy has the shot to show the FCS what the socon has to offer...ETSU just an add on.

ETSUfan1
November 18th, 2018, 02:03 PM
ETSU will show they belong on the same field. If you think it will be a blowout, you are wrong.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 02:12 PM
ETSU will show they belong on the same field. If you think it will be a blowout, you are wrong.
I mostly used the word "blowout" to rile up the Furman fans but they seem to have gone MIA. I think it will be a decisive JSU win but a blowout would be mildly surprising.

wcugrad95
November 18th, 2018, 02:40 PM
For the past 6 or 7 weeks most people have expected ETSU to "come back to Earth" after their surprising start. What JSU will find is a team that has a solid defense, a very good FR RB who has a nose for the endzone, and a guy at QB who just leaves it all on the field. I think JSU will be the solid favorite, but I keep thinking ETSU's next game is where they get blown out and it just doesn't happen. If the Buc's script stays true to form, it will be close.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2018, 02:46 PM
I think it's going to be in the neighborhood of 31-21 with JSU scoring a touchdown somewhat late in the fourth quarter to put it on ice.

In my head, KSU, JSU, Wofford, and the CAA are on even footing. ETSU is good, but I don't think they are there yet.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Does ETSU have a board?

OpTimeGuy
November 18th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Does ETSU have a board?

They do have a board: https://www.csnbbs.com/forum-335.html

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 03:14 PM
They do have a board: https://www.csnbbs.com/forum-335.html

Thanks

dgtw
November 18th, 2018, 05:36 PM
JSU will beat them and win their first playoff game in a while.

What was our last playoff win?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 05:39 PM

Lul.

ETSUfan1
November 18th, 2018, 05:41 PM
What does JSU do on offense? Don't know a whole lot about them.

katss07
November 18th, 2018, 05:42 PM

I think it was the Sam Houston game? Or did you guys have a win over Chatty that was more recent. I recall a fun OT playoff game between the Mocs and Cocks. Not sure. I just know it’s been a few years.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 05:48 PM
I think it was the Sam Houston game? Or did you guys have a win over Chatty that was more recent. I recall a fun OT playoff game between the Mocs and Cocks. Not sure. I just know it’s been a few years.
It was #62-10

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 05:50 PM
Shotgun spread offense. Vertical passing plays, read option in the run game, lots of RPOs. We've been more pass heavy this year than in the past cause our QB is a stud. The bread and butter for us has been the defense.

jsualumnus
November 18th, 2018, 05:58 PM
It’s like butta...

ETSUfan1
November 18th, 2018, 06:01 PM
ok

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 06:02 PM
It’s like butta...
Last night wasn't on the D. After 60 minutes and some OT against a team running you to the sideline every play you'd be a little winded too. That's what the triple is designed for.

jsualumnus
November 18th, 2018, 07:44 PM
It’s like butta means it’s “smooth..”. I love our D...

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2018, 07:55 PM
Here's a look at how these teams matchup statistically.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4813/44130796840_3f26b7745a.jpg

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 07:58 PM

Looks to me like another trench battle. Who runs the ball better and stops the run will win this one.

cx500d
November 18th, 2018, 08:00 PM

ETSU on average sores 0.2 points more than they give up....JSU beats them like a red headed step child.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 08:02 PM
ETSU on average sores 0.2 points more than they give up....JSU beats them like a red headed step child.

Never underestimate JSU's ability to blow playoff games.

cx500d
November 18th, 2018, 08:06 PM
Never underestimate JSU's ability to blow playoff games.

You have to be really trying to lose this one

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 08:07 PM
You have to be really trying to lose this one

We lost to SEMO. Who friggin knows, man.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2018, 09:43 PM
Let's remember that, regardless of how good JSU, is, the OVC is garbage and stats are probably unreliable.

That's not to say that the stats or meaningless or only make JSU look good. For instance, If you blow out teams they're going to pass more. So your pass defensive stats will look worse than they probably are.

It's also worth mentioning that ETSU's offense has made some pretty drastic improvements since they replaced their QB in the fourth or so game of the season. They also have, I think, one of the better kickers in the country.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 09:46 PM
Let's remember that, regardless of how good JSU, is, the OVC is garbage and stats are probably unreliable.

That's not to say that the stats or meaningless or only make JSU look good. For instance, If you blow out teams they're going to pass more. So your pass defensive stats will look worse than they probably are.

It's also worth mentioning that ETSU's offense has made some pretty drastic improvements since they replaced their QB in the fourth or so game of the season. They also have, I think, one of the better kickers in the country.

We have as many teams in the field as the SoCon and we're garbage? Hmm....

cx500d
November 18th, 2018, 09:47 PM

#ButtFurman

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2018, 10:00 PM
We have as many teams in the field as the SoCon and we're garbage? Hmm....How many have won a playoff game in the last 20 years?

Let's remember that Chattanooga won the OVC Invitational this year

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2018, 10:33 PM

And the Southland has as many as the MVFC so.....

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 10:36 PM
And the Southland has as many as the MVFC so.....

🤔

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 10:49 PM
I just noticed this is the only first round game in Primetime.

Sure hope we don't get bounced with the whole country watching this year.

Schism55
November 18th, 2018, 11:43 PM
QB mostly overthrows recievers

jsualumnus
November 19th, 2018, 12:11 AM
QB mostly overthrows recievers
Yeah, makes sense especially when his last game he threw for 417 yds and 4 TD’s. He only broke the JSU single season records for TD’s and passing yards in his first season as a starter. But...let’s just go with QB mostly overthrows receivers...

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 05:17 AM
Yeah, makes sense especially when his last game he threw for 417 yds and 4 TD’s. He only broke the JSU single season records for TD’s and passing yards in his first season as a starter. But...let’s just go with QB mostly overthrows receivers...

Don't let the fact he's top 15 in passing yards, top 5 in passing TDs, top 5 in points responsible for, top 20 in completion percentage, and top 10 in passing efficiency as a sophomore fool you.

dunbar
November 19th, 2018, 05:29 AM
I’ll root for JSU just for the remote chance they send a group of the Marching Southerners to Orono. Will even contribute towards the trip.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 05:31 AM
I’ll root for JSU just for the remote chance they send a group of the Marching Southerners to Orono. Will even contribute towards the trip.

They will. From what I've been told a group of 100 will be sent to each away game. Full Southerners go to Frisco should we make it.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 08:23 AM
ETSU press conference from yesterday

http://www.etsubucs.com/football/news/2018-19/15638/football-press-conference----jacksonville-state/

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

POD Knows
November 19th, 2018, 08:29 AM
I hate you.I think I am going to delete the post, I can't afford to burn up this much mojo this early in the tourney.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 08:32 AM
I think I am going to delete the post, I can't afford to burn up this much mojo this early in the tourney.Plz.

Save it and use it to take out Weber next round.

POD Knows
November 19th, 2018, 08:38 AM
Plz.

Save it and use it to take out Weber next round.

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using TapatalkI need to get SDSU out of the tournament, they are the only team that can beat NDSU, if they meet in the Semi's, SDSU wins going away #BOOKIT

dunbar
November 19th, 2018, 08:50 AM
They will. From what I've been told a group of 100 will be sent to each away game. Full Southerners go to Frisco should we make it.

GO COCKS.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Swiped from SinfonianSoutherner on GJS:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181119/46636d0ffa6a5572611b66e9b140adee.jpg

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Another outside prediction.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16806

Schism55
November 19th, 2018, 09:39 AM
Swiped from SinfonianSoutherner on GJS:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181119/46636d0ffa6a5572611b66e9b140adee.jpg

Interesting...is their methodology known?

Bison56
November 19th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Don't let the fact he's top 15 in passing yards, top 5 in passing TDs, top 5 in points responsible for, top 20 in completion percentage, and top 10 in passing efficiency as a sophomore fool you.

JSU fans posting stats, wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Interesting...is their methodology known?No idea.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 09:43 AM
JSU fans posting stats, wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it.Last time I went on a Stats rant we wound up in Frisco. 🤷

Cocky
November 19th, 2018, 09:51 AM
I need to get SDSU out of the tournament, they are the only team that can beat NDSU, if they meet in the Semi's, SDSU wins going away #BOOKIT

SDSU? Go ahead and put the trophy in the crowded NDSU trophy case. Dont see anyone on NDSUs side who will challenge the Bison. Only chance to lose will be in Frisco against whichever Big Sky team arrives.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Despite their rightfully-earned SoCon Co-Championship (tied with Furman & Wofford), FUBeAR rates ETSU as about the 5th best Team in the SoCon. That said, FUBeAR also contends there is about a fingernails width of difference between Teams 1-7 in the SoCon this year. Any of the top 7 could have beaten any other of the Top 7 (and #8 WCU & #9 VMI, of course) on “any given Saturday.” WCU95 et al have done a good job of summarizing some of the Bucs assets and I would add a few other tangible ones...

1) They have 2 very good ‘bookend’ DE’s, one, who missed a few games down the stretch, is 6-5/270 R-JR and an NFL prospect. The other is also a R-JR, who, at 6-3/270, may have a shot at playing at the next level also.
2) They have a very active ILB, who has over 400 Career Tackles & has led the Bucs in Tackles all 4 years. He may not be the most talented LB in the world, but he’s going to have his nose in there grabbing the ones which hast the football.
3) They have a budding ‘shutdown Corner,’ a SO, who won the SoCon 200m, finished 2nd in the Long Jump, 4th in the 60, and ran a leg on ETSU’s 4x100 3rd place relay Team...as a FR. He’s got WHEELS and plays nasty! They also have a couple of ball hawking Safeties, 1 who leads the SoCon in INT’s.
4) All of their WR’s are above average. No stars, but they are ALL pretty good...and they seem to have about 10 of them, who will go get & catch the ball in traffic, as will their TE.

They also have an intangible asset that defines the primary reason why they are SoCon Co-Champions (tied with Furman & Wofford). They don’t EXPECT to lose. I’m not sure I would go as far as to say, “They truly EXPECT to win,” which is the highest of intangible assets in FUBeAR’s book, but the Bucs just believe that they can find a way to figure out how not to lose.

So...if they play exceptionally well and can keep this one close to the end, I wouldn’t bet against them at that point. They need to FORCE JaxSt to make mistakes early...and get the Cocks Players to start thinking, “Oh no...here we go again.” If they don’t or if they don’t keep it VERY close throughout the game, they may get out-talented and lose this one, 49-17ish...but I expect them to hang around...and anything can happen.

Sure would like to be heading up the dirt roads of North Alabama to JaxSt to support the best Team in the SoCon this weekend, but when you leave your fate in the hands of a bunch of under- and mis-informed Administrators, the 5th best Team gets to play on, while you sit home and brood.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 10:35 AM
I think if ETSU wins the turnover battle, they win the game. Much like how A&T won the turnover battle against JSU and won the game. What seems to be common is JSU makes mistakes in bundles at times this season (penalties and turnovers) and if they have one of those games ETSU will be in it.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Despite their rightfully-earned SoCon Co-Championship (tied with Furman & Wofford), FUBeAR rates ETSU as about the 5th best Team in the SoCon. That said, FUBeAR also contends there is about a fingernails width of difference between Teams 1-7 in the SoCon this year. Any of the top 7 could have beaten any other of the Top 7 (and #8 WCU & #9 VMI, of course) on “any given Saturday.” WCU95 et al have done a good job of summarizing some of the Bucs assets and I would add a few other tangible ones...

1) They have 2 very good ‘bookend’ DE’s, one, who missed a few games down the stretch, is 6-5/270 R-JR and an NFL prospect. The other is also a R-JR, who, at 6-3/270, may have a shot at playing at the next level also.
2) They have a very active ILB, who has over 400 Career Tackles & has led the Bucs in Tackles all 4 years. He may not be the most talented LB in the world, but he’s going to have his nose in there grabbing the ones which hast the football.
3) They have a budding ‘shutdown Corner,’ a SO, who won the SoCon 200m, finished 2nd in the Long Jump, 4th in the 60, and ran a leg on ETSU’s 4x100 3rd place relay Team...as a FR. He’s got WHEELS and plays nasty! They also have a couple of ball hawking Safeties, 1 who leads the SoCon in INT’s.
4) All of their WR’s are above average. No stars, but they are ALL pretty good...and they seem to have about 10 of them, who will go get & catch the ball in traffic, as will their TE.

They also have an intangible asset that defines the primary reason why they are SoCon Co-Champions (tied with Furman & Wofford). They don’t EXPECT to lose. I’m not sure I would go as far as to say, “They truly EXPECT to win,” which is the highest of intangible assets in FUBeAR’s book, but the Bucs just believe that they can find a way to figure out how not to lose.

So...if they play exceptionally well and can keep this one close to the end, I wouldn’t bet against them at that point. They need to FORCE JaxSt to make mistakes early...and get the Cocks Players to start thinking, “Oh no...here we go again.” If they don’t or if they don’t keep it VERY close throughout the game, they may get out-talented and lose this one, 49-17ish...but I expect them to hang around...and anything can happen.

Sure would like to be heading up the dirt roads of North Alabama to JaxSt to support the best Team in the SoCon this weekend, but when you leave your fate in the hands of a bunch of under- and mis-informed Administrators, the 5th best Team gets to play on, while you sit home and brood.So how far are you going to backtrack on your "all the SoCon teams are really good and anyone could beat anyone" line if we beat ETSU by 32?

Thumper 76
November 19th, 2018, 11:27 AM
I need to get SDSU out of the tournament, they are the only team that can beat NDSU, if they meet in the Semi's, SDSU wins going away #BOOKIT

Hate you so much sometimes

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 12:09 PM
So how far are you going to backtrack on your "all the SoCon teams are really good and anyone could beat anyone" line if we beat ETSU by 32?

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using TapatalkThis is what you take from & make of that information packed post?

I always kinda wondered exactly what The Man meant in Matthew 7:6. Now I know.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 12:13 PM
This is what you take from & make of that information packed post?

I always kinda wondered exactly what The Man meant in Matthew 7:6. Now I know.You said ETSU is as good as any team in the SoCon. So if we beat the dog out of them and win by 32 (your number, not mine) and I come back and declare the SoCon is trash what excuses should I be prepared for?

longtimemocfan
November 19th, 2018, 12:15 PM
I'm a SoCon homer, but ETSU just doesn't have the offense to hang with JSU. JSU at home too much 31-14.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ming01
November 19th, 2018, 12:16 PM
I dont think the SoCo is trash. That would make all but 2 conferences in FCS trash then. I think this game is a toss-up.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 12:20 PM
ETSU probably has a better defense than Kennesaw but they almost certainly don't have as good of an offense.

katss07
November 19th, 2018, 12:24 PM
I dont think the SoCo is trash. That would make all but 2 conferences in FCS trash then. I think this game is a toss-up.
Are you going to tell me the Big Sky is below the SoCon? That makes zero sense.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 12:24 PM
You said ETSU is as good as any team in the SoCon. So if we beat the dog out of them and win by 32 (your number, not mine) and I come back and declare the SoCon is trash what excuses should I be prepared for?

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using TapatalkI know you’ve mentioned injuries and maybe some weakness around JSU’s OLine. Do you think they’ll be able to contain ETSU’s SoCon-leading (31) QB Sacks D enough to give the QB enough time? They have the #3, #4, and #5 ranked ‘Sackers,’ so it takes a strong, coordinated effort to slow them down. With injuries / replacements, communications required for blitz/stunt pick-ups can suffer. Do you think that will be a factor on Saturday?

SU DOG
November 19th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Regardless of what happens in this game, JSU would JUMP at a chance to join this "trash" conference. Deny and you lie.xnodx

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Are you going to tell me the Big Sky is below the SoCon? That makes zero sense.

More teams in the Socon have won a playoff game over the last 3 years...

Big Sky is pretty good at the top, but it's not nearly as balanced as the Socon.

Bison56
November 19th, 2018, 12:28 PM
I know you’ve mentioned injuries and maybe some weakness around JSU’s OLine. Do you think they’ll be able to contain ETSU’s SoCon-leading (31) QB Sacks D enough to give the QB enough time? They have the #3, #4, and #5 ranked ‘Sackers,’ so it takes a strong, coordinated effort to slow them down. With injuries / replacements, communications required for blitz/stunt pick-ups can suffer. Do you think that will be a factor on Saturday?

JSU has some big fat slow guys on the Oline.

jsualumnus
November 19th, 2018, 12:28 PM
I agree that ETSU will hang and have a chance to beat JSU if they win the turnover margin. Our O was so sluggish against SEMO, and not because SEMO’s D was the issue, but just the opposite... Our O-Line took a beating in games leading up to SEMO, and Cooper had less than 2 sec on many snaps to read the field. If our O-line plays like they did against KSU then we will win this even with a couple turnovers. More than 2 turnovers with 100yds in penalties then we’re done.

jsualumnus
November 19th, 2018, 12:31 PM
JSU has some big fat slow guys on the Oline.

fattest and slowest is #56... Imagine that!

Bison56
November 19th, 2018, 12:32 PM
fattest and slowest is #56... Imagine that!

That's neat :)

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 12:33 PM
I know you’ve mentioned injuries and maybe some weakness around JSU’s OLine. Do you think they’ll be able to contain ETSU’s SoCon-leading (31) QB Sacks D enough to give the QB enough time? They have the #3, #4, and #5 ranked ‘Sackers,’ so it takes a strong, coordinated effort to slow them down. With injuries / replacements, communications required for blitz/stunt pick-ups can suffer. Do you think that will be a factor on Saturday?If KSU is any indication our OL is healthy and clicking. It was the best I've seen them play all year. IIRC Kennesaw only got to Cooper twice all game. Pocket stayed pretty clean.

Running game was solid as well. We converted quite a few times just by lining up in our wildcat heavy set and running them TF over. It wasn't the best but Kennesaw is really really fast and those guys fly to the ball so I think they had a lot to do with it.

And even if they can get some pressure, containing him will be a trick. He has good pocket presence and can throw on the run. Always has eyes down field. He burned KSU several times while outside the pocket.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Regardless of what happens in this game, JSU would JUMP at a chance to join this "trash" conference. Deny and you lie.xnodxOf course, then we could just tell you all you are bad yearly like we do now to the OVC. 🙂

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 12:38 PM
JSU has some big fat slow guys on the Oline.https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2018/11/19/etsu-football-randy-sanders-ut-vols-tennessee-fcs-playoffs/2056337002/

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 12:45 PM
One thing to remember about KSU when evaluating how good your team is in comparison to them: KSU is very small and fast in the trenches. Part of that is intentional (speed), part of that is because they were a start up program and had to roll the dice on some smaller linemen. There's a trade off with that when you're playing a team that likes to run the ball between the tackles where that advantage can be neutralized.

I have no idea what that means for JSU, but ETSU has a similar issue. Wofford controlled the LOS this year and really has since ETSU came back into the conference. I don't know what kind of run game JSU wants to implement, but I think the Wofford film is useful. Having said that, ETSU's disadvantage up front has dwindled over the last couple of years. It'll be gone next year, but for the game Saturday, the key is going to be how well they utilize players in space. I don't know much about JSU's DL, but I imagine it'll be much like the top tier of the socon and so ETSU will probably struggle in the interior.

SU DOG
November 19th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Of course, then we could just tell you all you are bad yearly like we do now to the OVC. 

Naw, you better stick with where you are. You would really miss those strings of conference championships.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 12:50 PM
One thing to remember about KSU when evaluating how good your team is in comparison to them: KSU is very small and fast in the trenches. Part of that is intentional (speed), part of that is because they were a start up program and had to roll the dice on some smaller linemen. There's a trade off with that when you're playing a team that likes to run the ball between the tackles where that advantage can be neutralized.

I have no idea what that means for JSU, but ETSU has a similar issue. Wofford controlled the LOS this year and really has since ETSU came back into the conference. I don't know what kind of run game JSU wants to implement, but I think the Wofford film is useful. Having said that, ETSU's disadvantage up front has dwindled over the last couple of years. It'll be gone next year, but for the game Saturday, the key is going to be how well they utilize players in space. I don't know much about JSU's DL, but I imagine it'll be much like the top tier of the socon and so ETSU will probably struggle in the interior.Lineups for both squads. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181119/015b0c2c7849a853b15eb468c19e783b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181119/aa9d674759034705d7a86051460f43cf.jpg

SU DOG
November 19th, 2018, 12:53 PM
I think the JSU defensive speed will be the difference. They have some LBs and DBs that can really fly and deliver the blow.

jsualumnus
November 19th, 2018, 12:54 PM
I would give up strings of meaningless conference titles and early exit playoff appearances anyday for better competition. 90% of JSU fans would. Better rivalries and more opportunities to call the Bulldogs our bitches. All in good fun, SU...

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 12:56 PM
I would give up strings of meaningless conference titles and early exit playoff appearances anyday for better competition. 90% of JSU fans would. Better rivalries and more opportunities to call the Bulldogs our bitches. All in good fun, SU...Sounds like a move to the Southland Conference is just what JaxSt needs then. Enjoy!

jsualumnus
November 19th, 2018, 12:59 PM
Let me add... I really would like to be in the SoCon... Our AD has stated a conference move wouldn’t be good for our other programs, but I don’t see how. I think all our programs would compete... The OVC sucks.

SU DOG
November 19th, 2018, 01:00 PM
I would give up strings of meaningless conference titles and early exit playoff appearances anyday for better competition. 90% of JSU fans would. Better rivalries and more opportunities to call the Bulldogs our bitches. All in good fun, SU...

LOL! Yeah that rivalry was so one-sided that it was a NO rivalry. We have slowly evolved to having a better program, though we still need to take another step forward. I hope to see us facing the Gamecocks again someday. I know we would be at least much more competitive.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Category
JaxSt
ETSU

Avg. Size OL Starters

6' 4" 303
6' 4" 306

Exp. "Rating" OL Starters

Avg Size OL 2-Deep

6' 3" 297
6' 4" 302

Exp. "Rating" OL 2-Deep

Avg. Size DL Starters

6' 2" 264
6' 4" 276

Exp. Rating DL Starters

Avg Size DL 2-Deep

6' 2" 265
6' 4" 270

Exp. "Rating" DL 2-Deep

Avg. Size D-Front 7 Starters

6' 2" 246
6' 3" 248

Exp. "Rating" D-Front 7 Starters

Avg. Size D-Front 7 2-Deep
6' 1" 245
6' 3" 245

Exp. "Rating" D-Front 7 2-Deep

Avg. Size Offense Starters

6' 3" 254
6' 3" 249

Exp. "Rating" Offense Starters

Avg. Size Offense 2-Deep

6' 2" 246
6' 3" 247

Exp. "Rating" Offense 2-Deep

Avg. Size Defense Starters

6' 1" 223
6' 1" 225

Exp. "Rating" Defense Starters

Avg. Size Defense 2-Deep

6' 1" 222
6' 1" 221

Exp. "Rating" Defense 2-Deep

Avg. Size ALL O&D Starters

6' 2" 238
6' 2" 238

Exp. "Rating" ALL O&D Starters

Avg. Size ALL O&D 2-Deep

6' 2" 234
6' 2" 235

Exp. "Rating" ALL O&D 2-Deep

Avg. Size Entire Roster
6' 1" 224
6' 2" 225

Exp. "Rating" Entire Roster

This is the “Tale of the Tape” analysis - Source Data - Game Notes from each Teams' most recent games

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 01:22 PM
Category
JaxSt
ETSU

Avg. Size OL Starters

6' 4" 306

Avg Size OL 2-Deep

6' 4" 302

Exp. "Rating" OL 2-Deep

Avg. Size DL Starters

6' 4" 276

Exp. Rating DL Starters

Avg Size DL 2-Deep

6' 3" 276

Exp. "Rating" DL 2-Deep

6' 3" 248

6' 2" 247

6' 3" 250

Avg. Size Offense 2-Deep

6' 3" 247

6' 1" 225

Avg. Size Defense 2-Deep

6' 1" 222

6' 2" 238

Avg. Size ALL O&D 2-Deep

6' 2" 235

Avg. Size Entire Roster

6' 2" 225

This is the “Tale of the Tape” analysis FUBeAR compiled for ETSU’s game @ Mercer a few weeks ago. If I get a mind to, I’ll plug in the Cocks & update the Bucs at some point this week...or one of y’all can cipher it up, if you would like.

What's the metric for your rating

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 01:32 PM
I would invest 0 into it because I don't think it's predictive

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 01:41 PM
I would invest 0 into it because I don't think it's predictiveGames are played on fields, not on paper. But I'm a nerd so stats interest me. I'm just curious how he came to his numbers

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 01:50 PM
Games are played on fields, not on paper. But I'm a nerd so stats interest me. I'm just curious how he came to his numbers

To use the language of experimental science, the numbers he has here are internally consistent, but not necessarily externally consistent. Basically, he's rating a unit based on experience using specific measurements. It makes sense and there is internal logic to it, but there's not been evidence presented to me that shows it's predictive in any way.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 01:53 PM
To use the language of experimental science, the numbers he has here are internally consistent, but not necessarily externally consistent. Basically, he's rating a unit based on experience using specific measurements. It makes sense and there is internal logic to it, but there's not been evidence presented to me that shows it's predictive in any way.I'm assuming he's assigned a point value for each class and averaged. As you said that doesn't really say anything. Game experience is game experience but there's a difference between the type of experience one team gets when they win a lot and the type of experience a team that's new to winning has if that makes any sense. I think we're on the same page here

cx500d
November 19th, 2018, 01:54 PM
I think the JSU southern speed will be the difference. They have some LBs and DBs that can really fly and deliver the blow.
FYP

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 02:16 PM
FYP

I think it's only Southern Speed™ if you run the option.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Southern Speed was the dumbest thing Georgia southern fans ever talked about.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 02:20 PM
What's the metric for your rating
FR = 0.0
R-FR = 0.5
SO = 1.0
R-SO = 1.5
JR = 2.0
R-JR = 2.5
SR = 3.0
R-SR = 3.5
G-SR or G-TR = 3.5

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 02:44 PM
I would invest 0 into it because I don't think it's predictiveI agree that the size metrics are completely worthless for any predictive value, but they sure are fun to talk about & look at objectively. For example, I think, if I understood your post correctly, you said something about ETSU being a bit small in the line...not sure if you meant OL, DL, or both...but they are relatively small on neither. As Mr. Wonka says, it’s right there...black & white...

The experience rating, has a bit of value, IMO. It’s a far from perfect metric, of course. Number of plays would probably be the best we could capture, but that data is almost universally unavailable, so this will suffice unless you have a better suggestion. As far as predictive value, ETSU has one of the higher experience ratings in the SoCon in almost all categories. I would say that ‘predicted’ that they would be able to find a way not to lose in close ball games. In general, more experienced Players are going to make fewer mistakes in pressure situations...such as close games. Conversely, WCU & CIT have some of the lower Defensive experience ratings. I think we saw a good bit of inconsistency in CIT’s D this year & I think we could have ‘predicted’ that based on the rating. That said, WCU’s D was consistent...consistently BAD. The difference in the 2, though, is talent level & Coaching, which this analysis doesn’t endeavor to assess.

I started doing this for 2 reasons. When Mercer was coming into the SoCon, I saw and heard everyone saying how small they were and the field tilted when their SoCon opponents came out. Well, that’s pretty much BS...and these Team vs. Team analyses show the ACTUAL size comparisons (assuming relatively accurate data provided by each Team...looking at you Samford!). Really not much difference in sizes, unless a Team runs a certain scheme which dictates that they prefer certain larger or smaller sizes. Also, I got a bit tired of hearing EVERY FREAKIN’ COACH in College Football (and their Fans) talk about how young their Team is. The truth is...in most cases, they are ALL young and you can spin how young you are by talking about a certain position group or side of the ball, etc. So, FUBeAR says...”How young are you?” ...and with this we can compare Team vs. Team & a whole conference...in a consistent, best metric available way to TRULY see who is young and who is spinnin’ “young.”

But, if I were you, I would invest 0 into it.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 02:52 PM
the type of experience one team gets when they win a lot and the type of experience a team that's new to winning hasCool. Absolutely true.

Quantify that, apply it to individual players, position groups, sides of the ball, Teams, and let’s see what you come up with. Looking forward to seeing it!

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 02:55 PM
I agree that the size metrics are completely worthless for any predictive value, but they sure are fun to talk about & look at objectively. For example, I think, if I understood your post correctly, you said something about ETSU being a bit small in the line...not sure if you meant OL, DL, or both...but they are relatively small on neither. As Mr. Wonka says, it’s right there...black & white...

The experience rating, has a bit of value, IMO. It’s a far from perfect metric, of course. Number of plays would probably be the best we could capture, but that data is almost universally unavailable, so this will suffice unless you have a better suggestion. As far as predictive value, ETSU has one of the higher experience ratings in the SoCon in almost all categories. I would say that ‘predicted’ that they would be able to find a way not to lose in close ball games. In general, more experienced Players are going to make fewer mistakes in pressure situations...such as close games. Conversely, WCU & CIT have some of the lower Defensive experience ratings. I think we saw a good bit of inconsistency in CIT’s D this year & I think we could have ‘predicted’ that based on the rating. That said, WCU’s D was consistent...consistently BAD. The difference in the 2, though, is talent level & Coaching, which this analysis doesn’t endeavor to assess.

I started doing this for 2 reasons. When Mercer was coming into the SoCon, I saw and heard everyone saying how small they were and the field tilted when their SoCon opponents came out. Well, that’s pretty much BS...and these Team vs. Team analyses show the ACTUAL size comparisons (assuming relatively accurate data provided by each Team...looking at you Samford!). Really not much difference in sizes, unless a Team runs a certain scheme which dictates that they prefer certain larger or smaller sizes. Also, I got a bit tired of hearing EVERY FREAKIN’ COACH in College Football (and their Fans) talk about how young their Team is. The truth is...in most cases, they are ALL young and you can spin how young you are by talking about a certain position group or side of the ball, etc. So, FUBeAR says...”How young are you?” ...and with this we can compare Team vs. Team & a whole conference...in a consistent, best metric available way to TRULY see who is young and who is spinnin’ “young.”

But, if I were you, I would invest 0 into it.

Fair enough. I'd rep you, but I can't.

Anyway, from the looks of things, Wofford had an easier time with ETSU this year at the LOS relative to any of the other teams at the top tier of the conference, especially when the Bucs had the ball. Maybe it's talent, maybe it's the prior coaching administration in Johnson City not developing them as well as other teams, but they did do worse. I admit I'm speaking anecdotally and I'm not using specific stats or play-to-play as evidence, but last year against ETSU the only thing keeping Wofford from scoring was bad play-calling, it was like playing a typical Western Carolina defense. This year, they were much better on defense, but we had a better time defending them, likely because of changes Conklin made in our defensive scheme.

I think the information you've presented tells us that ETSU is a senior-laden team and because they were a start up program, some of those players aren't necessarily up to what they would be had they spent 4-5 years practicing against players with more experience. They have definitely made improvements, even during the course of this year, and they may take a step back next year with losing some senior leaders, but I imagine they'll be a consistent threat going forward.

KPSUL
November 19th, 2018, 03:03 PM
View Poll Results: Who goes to Maine?

1st Prize: All expenses paid trip to Bangor/Orono Maine in late November !
2nd Prize: Two all expenses paid trips to Bangor/Orono Maine in late November !

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Cool. Absolutely true.

Quantify that, apply it to individual players, position groups, sides of the ball, Teams, and let’s see what you come up with. Looking forward to seeing it!I think I'll just wait for Saturday.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 03:45 PM
I think I'll just wait for Saturday.Better plan...which made me think of the great words of Coach T. Roosevelt...

“It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming. Who does actually strive to do the deeds, who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Great words for all of us message board peeps to keep in mind.

Cocky
November 19th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Category
JaxSt
ETSU

Avg. Size OL Starters

6' 4" 306

Avg Size OL 2-Deep

6' 4" 302

Exp. "Rating" OL 2-Deep

Avg. Size DL Starters

6' 4" 276

Exp. Rating DL Starters

Avg Size DL 2-Deep

6' 3" 276

Exp. "Rating" DL 2-Deep

6' 3" 248

6' 2" 247

6' 3" 250

Avg. Size Offense 2-Deep

6' 3" 247

6' 1" 225

Avg. Size Defense 2-Deep

6' 1" 222

6' 2" 238

Avg. Size ALL O&D 2-Deep

6' 2" 235

Avg. Size Entire Roster

6' 2" 225

This is the “Tale of the Tape” analysis FUBeAR compiled for ETSU’s game @ Mercer a few weeks ago. If I get a mind to, I’ll plug in the Cocks & update the Bucs at some point this week...or one of y’all can cipher it up, if you would like.

What about the Kickers? Surly we have the size advantage.

- - - Updated - - -

Have to agree "Southern Speed" isnt as funny since GaSo is gone.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 05:22 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Have to agree "Southern Speed" isnt as funny since GaSo is gone.Kickers sizes ARE included in the “Entire Roster” average. Perhaps JaxSt’s dominance in that metric will tip the scales toward the Cocks and we can all extract the weighty meaning of such an imbalance.

gofurman
November 19th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Alright you salty Furman fans, tell me all the reasons we aren't going to blow ETSU out.

You have it backwards. !

You WILL blow ETSU out. They lost by 15+ or so to Wofford who we beat by 20. They ended season on a loss. They were our last loss (by 2 points) before we got our act together ...

ETSU will lose I suspect. UNLIKE Furman who beat you the last two times 😉. You should be playing Furman

In all honesty I give ETSU credit for all the 2 and 3 point wins but look at years end... ETSU beat VMI by THREE. VMI. Furman best VMI 49-13. FORTY NINE to 13. ETSU has had a great year but this is the end of it. They have no playoff experience.

ETSU deserves credit for their year. But JSU will kill them. ETSU was the luckiest team I saw all year with the way te ball bounced etc. I watched them lose to Samford this past Saturday and the ETSU announcers said the same thing “we have been VERY fortunate this year”

JSU by 15+

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 06:33 PM
You have it backwards. !

You WILL blow ETSU out. They lost by 15+ or so to Wofford who we beat by 20. They ended season on a loss. They were our last loss (by 2 points) before we got our act together ...

ETSU will lose I suspect. UNLIKE Furman who beat you the last two times 😉. You should be playing Furman

In all honesty I give ETSU credit for all the 2 and 3 point wins but look at years end... ETSU beat VMI by THREE. VMI. Furman best VMI 49-13. FORTY NINE to 13. ETSU has had a great year but this is the end of it. They have no playoff experience.

ETSU deserves credit for their year. But JSU will kill them. ETSU was the luckiest team I saw all year with the way te ball bounced etc. I watched them lose to Samford this past Saturday and the ETSU announcers said the same thing “we have been VERY fortunate this year”

JSU by 15+

We could be playing Furman if you didn't suck. 💁

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Also: ETSU needs a rebrand for their uniforms. They look like something out of the 1980s, and not in a good way. If you're going for the austere look, you gotta do better

KSUFAN
November 19th, 2018, 07:05 PM
ETSU probably has a better defense than Kennesaw but they almost certainly don't have as good of an offense.

ETSU won't hold JSU to 24 points in regulation! Kennesaw shut Samford's offense down and you saw what Samford did to ETSU. They are going to get picked apart!

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 07:15 PM
ETSU won't hold JSU to 24 points in regulation! Kennesaw shut Samford's offense down and you saw what Samford did to ETSU. They are going to get picked apart!

We should have had 34.

jsualumnus
November 19th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Kickers sizes ARE included in the “Entire Roster” average. Perhaps JaxSt’s dominance in that metric will tip the scales toward the Cocks and we can all extract the weighty meaning of such an imbalance.

I’ll take an Ethiopian as long as they can kick 43 yd FG’s.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 07:33 PM
ETSU won't hold JSU to 24 points in regulation! Kennesaw shut Samford's offense down and you saw what Samford did to ETSU. They are going to get picked apart!Samford also ran the ball more times than they passed it against Kennesaw. Samford is the worst measuring stick for comparing two teams.

gofurman
November 19th, 2018, 07:38 PM
We could be playing Furman if you didn't suck. 

the committee sucks. Not Furman. And I am very even keeled. Furman isn't a world beater but we are really getting bets every year under Hendrix as coach. He inherited a 3 win team. Took that team and in first year he won 8 games including Elon in playoffs ...second year he won SoCon co-champ. And he is an OL guru which takes four or five years to get his guys in OL. I am not the crazy type fan. If I am impressed its legit.

I'll ask an OBJECTIVE question. Wofford fans - you have seen ETSU and Furman both A little later in year... Who do you think would present JSU a tougher game? No shade to ETSU. Great year ETSU !!!!!!
But I am asking HONESTLY to Wofford fans on here - who do you think is a tougher game for JSU? Furman or ETSU ?

KSUFAN
November 19th, 2018, 07:39 PM
We should have had 34.

You can relive it all over again!

https://youtu.be/8bBkA-Ksg_I

KSUFAN
November 19th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Samford also ran the ball more times than they passed it against Kennesaw. Samford is the worst measuring stick for comparing two teams.

Why did Hodge tuck it and run so much in the Kennesaw game? You think the defense had anything to do with it?

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 08:10 PM
Why did Hodge tuck it and run so much in the Kennesaw game? You think the defense had anything to do with it?
Nah.
https://media1.tenor.com/images/edf5f6212fd6f6293610465466110c63/tenor.gif?itemid=4318323

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 08:13 PM
Why did Hodge tuck it and run so much in the Kennesaw game? You think the defense had anything to do with it?Your reading comprehension is terrible.

By your logic, the best teams in the socon are Mercer, Chattanooga, and the Citadel.

Samford isn't a good measuring stick because they are inconsistent.

longtimemocfan
November 19th, 2018, 08:29 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Have to agree "Southern Speed" isnt as funny since GaSo is gone.In the 3 games we played JSU (2 went to OT) in 2014, 2015, that was the most notable difference in playing other teams in our conference. The overall team speed of JSU. Haven't really watched too many of your games this year, but willing to bet you'll have that advantage over ETSU.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 08:31 PM
In the 3 games we played JSU (2 went to OT) in 2014, 2015, that was the most notable difference in playing other teams in our conference. The overall team speed of JSU. Haven't really watched too many of your games this year, but willing to bet you'll have that advantage over ETSU.

Based on what I've watched of ETSU over the past day I'd say we definitely have that advantage.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 08:39 PM
I'll admit that I have a bias I have to remind myself to check and that's that I disregard JSU's wins against Socon teams in the playoffs because the conference was pretty garbage 2013-2015.

Now, of Sounder mind I remind myself that those Chattanooga teams were pretty good (and that Samford team was okay) but that's still my gut reaction.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 08:55 PM
FYI - Added the data for the Cocks and updated the Bucs in the "Tale of the Tape" in Post #84.

Teams are similarly-sized (of course)...but the Cocks appear to be even more experienced than the very experienced Bucs.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 08:56 PM
I'll admit that I have a bias I have to remind myself to check and that's that I disregard JSU's wins against Socon teams in the playoffs because the conference was pretty garbage 2013-2015.

Now, of Sounder mind I remind myself that those Chattanooga teams were pretty good (and that Samford team was okay) but that's still my gut reaction.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkIf Chattanooga had beaten us in 2015 they would have been in Frisco. Those were damn good teams.

cx500d
November 19th, 2018, 08:57 PM
If Chattanooga had beaten us in 2015 they would have been in Frisco. Those were damn good teams.

No kidding, just ask Chattownmocs

longtimemocfan
November 19th, 2018, 09:08 PM
If Chattanooga had beaten us in 2015 they would have been in Frisco. Those were damn good teams.

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using TapatalkAgreed !! JSU was just a play better. I even think the 2016 Chattanooga team may have been Huesman's best, but after racing to a 6-0 start The Citadel loss seem to deflate Huesman's drive and he just quit after that.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2018, 09:08 PM
MEAC officiating crew in this one according to the refstripes discussion board (http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?topic=14211.0).

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Agreed !! JSU was just a play better. I even think the 2016 Chattanooga team may have been Huesman's best, but after racing to a 6-0 start The Citadel loss seem to deflate Huesman's drive and he just quit after that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using TapatalkYou also had Wofford towering back with a vengence for the first time since 2012. Socon was really good from a W/L perspective that year.

ETSUfan1
November 19th, 2018, 09:54 PM
We have a lot of toughness and grit on our team, but not the most talent. Even Coach Sanders has spoken about it. ETSU doesn't wow you....probably why a lot of the fans of other SoCon teams picked the Bucs to lose every week. Hard for them to believe where we are at. ETSU just has a unique situation where a lot of these players have been here since the beginning. A special bond. Getting to this point will help us with recruiting and talent down the road.

gofurman
November 19th, 2018, 10:17 PM
We have a lot of toughness and grit on our team, but not the most talent. Even Coach Sanders has spoken about it. ETSU doesn't wow you....probably why a lot of the fans of other SoCon teams picked the Bucs to lose every week. Hard for them to believe where we are at. ETSU just has a unique situation where a lot of these players have been here since the beginning. A special bond. Getting to this point will help us with recruiting and talent down the road.

ETSU, No doubt. Great season. Sanders has you all going in the right direction !!!

My prior post that JSU might struggle more with Furman than ETSU was just I think Furman is tougher to prepare for (ask Wofford) with all the RBs sneaking out of the backfield etc. Plus we have playoff experience. Apparently we Just need to schedule UT-Martin and mission valley sisters of the poor and then we can get in playoffs. LOL.

thats all. I meant NO SHADE towards ETSU. NONE.

great season ETSU

longtimemocfan
November 20th, 2018, 02:58 AM
You also had Wofford towering back with a vengence for the first time since 2012. Socon was really good from a W/L perspective that year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkYes it was, got 4 teams in that year.

CockyGeek
November 20th, 2018, 08:30 AM
Interesting...is their methodology known?I think it's somewhere on the website. It's expensive to use it more than a few times a day but is scarily accurate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2018, 04:39 PM
JSU Press Conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efvBK1fyIz4&app=desktop&persist_app=1

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2018, 11:22 PM
ETSU at Jacksonville State, How to Watch and Fearless Predictions:

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/csj-first-round-playoff-preview-east-tennessee-state-at-jacksonville-state/

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2018, 08:54 AM
ETSU at Jacksonville State, How to Watch and Fearless Predictions:

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/csj-first-round-playoff-preview-east-tennessee-state-at-jacksonville-state/
Lol @ the guy who thinks ETSU scores 30 points and loses.

If ETSU scores 30 it means 1 of 2 possible things.

1.) We've turned the ball over and are most likely losing.

2.) We are trying to 1-up the end of the KSU game.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2018, 09:11 AM
To be fair to ETSU, they scored at least 20 on all of their opponents except Wofford and Chattanooga, the best defenses in the socon.

Their offense has steadily improved, but it is admittedly only average. They're scrappy in the sense that their defense does a good job of winning field position battles to set up their offense to score.

For instance, Wofford pretty much held them in check, but they pinned us down inside our one and they got a defensive score. I think against Samford they similarly won some field position battles.

It makes them kind of fun to watch, but it's also not the most reliable model to score a lot of points.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2018, 09:18 AM
To be fair to ETSU, they scored at least 20 on all of their opponents except Wofford and Chattanooga, the best defenses in the socon.

Their offense has steadily improved, but it is admittedly only average. They're scrappy in the sense that their defense does a good job of winning field position battles to set up their offense to score.

For instance, Wofford pretty much held them in check, but they pinned us down inside our one and they got a defensive score. I think against Samford they similarly won some field position battles.

It makes them kind of fun to watch, but it's also not the most reliable model to score a lot of points.

I wouldn't be surprised if they scored 20, but unless we turn it over they ain't getting 30.

Only games we gave up more than 30 is where we gave Austin Peay 2 freebies and turned the ball over 5 times at SEMO. We turned the ball over 4 times against NC A&T And they still only put up 20. Kennesaw was 24-24 at the end of regulation.

Like I said though, if we are turning it over on Saturday and they do get to 30, there's probably a good chance we are going to lose.

FUBeAR
November 22nd, 2018, 09:26 AM
...their defense does a good job of winning field position battles to set up their offense to score.

Wofford pretty much held them in check, but they pinned us down inside our one and they got a defensive score. I think against Samford they similarly won some field position battles.Same with their game against Mercer, a 3 point win. 2 of their 3 scoring drives avg’d 29 yards...short fields after twice intercepting Mercer’s 3rd Team R-FR walk-on QB, who didn’t even start for his HS Team...playing due to prior injuries to Mercer’s Top 2 QB’s

ElCid
November 22nd, 2018, 09:40 AM

And yet again, same with us. We lost by 3 to ETSU. 2 of their 4 FG drives began in our territory after failed 4th down tries by us. Plus they had a pick 6. Their O is nothing to write home about, but their D is good.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2018, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they scored 20, but unless we turn it over they ain't getting 30.

Only games we gave up more than 30 is where we gave Austin Peay 2 freebies and turned the ball over 5 times at SEMO. We turned the ball over 4 times against NC A&T And they still only put up 20. Kennesaw was 24-24 at the end of regulation.

Like I said though, if we are turning it over on Saturday and they do get to 30, there's probably a good chance we are going to lose.Yeah, if Jacksonville State has "for real" defense and doesn't turn the ball over, I think they'll keep them under 20. Skeptics would say this a test of sorts but I'm confident they'll do it, or at the very least limit them to ~21

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2018, 09:43 AM
Yeah, if Jacksonville State has "for real" defense and doesn't turn the ball over, I think they'll keep them under 20. Skeptics would say this a test of sorts but I'm confident they'll do it, or at the very least limit them to ~21

Never underestimate Jax State's ability to **** themselves.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2018, 09:52 AM
Never underestimate Jax State's ability to **** themselves.Don't think of it as ****ing up, think of it as performing on par with your conference. JSU is the only OVC team with OOC playoff wins against scholarship teams since 1996

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2018, 10:02 AM
Don't think of it as ****ing up, think of it as performing on par with your conference. JSU is the only OVC team with OOC playoff wins against scholarship teams since 1996

If we throw 5 picks and double their yardage totals and lose by three it's ****ing up.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 22nd, 2018, 04:54 PM
You have it backwards. !

ETSU will lose I suspect. UNLIKE Furman who beat you the last two times . You should be playing Furman

JSU by 15+

I said this on another thread and I am going to share this here. You should not discount ETSU yet. They're coached by Randy Sanders, who previously won FBS titles at UT and Florida State as an assistant as well as being the SoCon COY. And ETSU has a way of showing up when you least expect them.

29-27.

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2018, 10:52 PM
How much impact will the 5 OT game against Kennesaw have? If JSU comes out slow it get be close until the end.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2018, 11:01 PM
How much impact will the 5 OT game against Kennesaw have? If JSU comes out slow it get be close until the end.I don't think it will have much. I think we've score a TD on each of our opening possessions since the SEMO game and are averaging about 13 points in Q1 since SEMO.

Grass said in the presser this week that starting games fast has been a big emphasis the past few weeks and the focus this week is starting Q3 with the same intensity. That second half lull was what got KSU back into the game and made the UTM game closer than it had any business being.

So if all goes according to plan we should be able to put our foot on ETSUs neck and keep it there.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2018, 11:31 PM
So if all goes according to plan we should be able to put our foot on ETSUs neck and keep it there.

And if you don't? You could pull a Furman.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2018, 11:41 PM
Well if we don't we get to fulfill our destiny and get bounced.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2018, 11:45 PM
Well if we don't we get to fulfill our destiny and get bounced.

I was referring to blowing a 27-13 lead in the 4th and losing to ETSU.

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2018, 12:02 AM

And get bounced all the same.

JaxSinfonian
November 23rd, 2018, 06:54 AM
I was referring to blowing a 27-13 lead in the 4th and losing to ETSU.

In Gamecock parlance, this is known as “pulling a Crowe.” (See 2010 vs. Tennessee Tech, 24-7 lead in the 4th, 24-35 final; and 2011 vs EKU, 48-24 in the 4th, 48-52 final.)

dewey
November 23rd, 2018, 10:36 AM
Here is the STATS preview of this game.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/preview.asp?lg=CFB&g=201811240247&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Dewey

CockyGeek
November 24th, 2018, 07:45 AM
I always know whether we're going to win or lose a playoff game. My gut has been right at every one this decade. I say we win this one. Don't @ me.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 07:54 AM
I always know whether we're going to win or lose a playoff game. My gut has been right at every one this decade. I say we win this one. Don't @ me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TapatalkYou better not have just jinxed us.

If we lose I'm going to take a dump in your yard for this post.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 05:41 PM
47 degrees and clear skies here in J-Vegas. 50 minutes till kickoff.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 06:33 PM
ETSU wins the toss and defers.

Here we go, ladies and gentlemen.

Bisonoline
November 24th, 2018, 06:36 PM
ETSU wins the toss and defers.

Here we go, ladies and gentlemen.

Fans???? Do they show up at half time to watch the band?

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 06:38 PM
Fans???? Do they show up at half time to watch the band?

They'll probably show up when our team does.

Bison56
November 24th, 2018, 06:39 PM
Does ETSU know that JSU took KSU to overtime?

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 06:41 PM
John Grass giving Farley a run for his money.

cx500d
November 24th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Lamar executes the fumblerooski to perfection

CockyGeek
Playoff Cocks are here.

Reign of Terrier
Update? I'm not quite back home and ESPN gamecast is an abortion on stilts

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 06:45 PM
Update? I'm not quite back home and ESPN gamecast is an abortion on stilts

JSU looking like typical playoff JSU.

bonarae
November 24th, 2018, 06:45 PM
ETSU driving at the Jacksonville State 5; they just took a TO.

bonarae
November 24th, 2018, 06:48 PM
ETSU just scores a FG from 22. 3-0 Bucs, 8:15 1st Quarter.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 06:50 PM
ETSU just scores a FG from 22. 3-0 Bucs, 8:15 1st Quarter.Thanks! ETSU is tough

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 06:51 PM
JSU has two plays. Wide receiver screen and lose.

Bisonoline
November 24th, 2018, 06:52 PM
So the ESTU QB loses his helmet and has to sit out a play. BUT the back up QB is not available so they have to burn a TO? WTF no back up QB??????

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 06:54 PM
JSU did a thing. Wow.

CockyGeek
November 24th, 2018, 06:55 PM
This game is going by too quickly

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Outside run, WR screen, incomplete deep ball, punt this drive. Watch.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Well I got the swing pass and the incomplete deep ball. Looks like the PI will bail us out for a second.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, JSU has entered the building.

Bison56
November 24th, 2018, 07:09 PM
JSU do a lot of recruiting at Golden Coral?

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Lul.

CockyGeek
November 24th, 2018, 07:12 PM
Cooper makes horrible decisions every game.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 07:12 PM
ETSU's defense is good at forcing turnovers and turning them into points

bonarae
November 24th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Gamecocks using the running game to stun ETSU somewhat...

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Cooooppppeerrrr wat r u doinnnnnnn

Katfan
November 24th, 2018, 07:19 PM
How many fans are at this game?

Scrappy94
November 24th, 2018, 07:20 PM
I hope both teams lose.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 07:20 PM
How many fans are at this game?

7k maybe. Not a great turnout.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 07:21 PM
I hope both teams lose.

You would.

Katfan
November 24th, 2018, 07:22 PM
7k maybe. Not a great turnout.
Thought so doesn’t look good on tv

Bison56
November 24th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Nice scramble and pass by ETSU QB.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 07:26 PM
JSU pass D looking like straight cheeks.

CockyGeek
November 24th, 2018, 07:26 PM
Not sure why we don't wrap up on tackles. Flag football ended in 3rd grade.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 07:27 PM
touchdown ETSU.

They look like they belong.

Wow.

bonarae
November 24th, 2018, 07:27 PM
ETSU passing O clicking at the right time...

17-10 8:30 2nd Quarter

PaladinNation
November 24th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Kudos to ETSU, showing up and playing toe to toe.

POD Knows
I kind of like this ETSU QB. There you go JSU, that ought to help for cause for a series or two.

Reign of Terrier
Those tight end routes make me NERVOUS.

That's the stuff that Wofford can't defend to save our life

ETSUfan1
November 24th, 2018, 07:30 PM
I hope both teams lose.

Poor baby. Remember when u laughed at the thought of ETSU making the playoffs.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Either ETSU is better than I thought they were or JSU is not as good as I thought they were or both.

bonarae
ETSU picks off Zerrick Cooper for the second time in this game.

JSUSoutherner
Lol this is trash.

ETSU deserves the dub they're getting.

CockyGeek
That interception was inexcusable. No red for 10 yards.

Professor Chaos
November 24th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Zerrick Cooper looks like he's sleepwalking. Someone should tell him this is the playoffs.

Bison56
November 24th, 2018, 07:39 PM
JSU doing JSU things.

Professor Chaos
November 24th, 2018, 07:40 PM
Prolly a legit PI on JSU regardless but looked to me like the ETSU receiver that drew the call should get an academy award nomination.

CockyGeek
November 24th, 2018, 07:42 PM
Zerrick Cooper looks like he's sleepwalking. Someone should tell him this is the playoffs.This is the way he always plays. He just gets away with it when we play MVSU

Sandlapper Spike
November 24th, 2018, 07:43 PM
Has there been an official announcement on the attendance yet?

Bison56
November 24th, 2018, 07:46 PM
Ouch that didnt look good.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Has there been an official announcement on the attendance yet?

No. I'll post if they announce it in here. They usually do it late in Q3.

Professor Chaos
November 24th, 2018, 07:50 PM
On a completely random note the guys calling playoff games generally irritate the hell out of me but the guys calling this game are really good.

ElCid
November 24th, 2018, 07:50 PM
ETSU playing hard and takes the lead into half.

Schism55
November 24th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Sphincters gettin tight in Gamecock land....

Reign of Terrier
What's surprising about this one is that ETSU is putting together quality drives on what I trust is a good defense. I'm not surprised that ETSU is making them fight for every yard, but I'm surprised by the offensive success.

cx500d
I meant ETSU might have the easiest sneak path through the bracket

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2018, 07:52 PM
ETSU playing pretty well.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 07:53 PM
Worth mentioning: because KSU plays a paper machet schedule and has only had a couple close games over the last few years, they really don't like the teams they have lost to and consider Jacksonville State a rival.

So they don't like ETSU (see 2016) and were predicting a blowout, so I imagine that's not going well.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 07:53 PM
Make sure whenever one of you SoCon fans make the ETSU @ Maine thread you add a poll so I can vote for Maine. 😂

ETSUfan1
November 24th, 2018, 07:55 PM
Jacksonville State will make a run. We have received zero respect all year.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Make sure whenever one of you SoCon fans make the ETSU @ Maine thread you add a poll so I can vote for Maine. 

Get yourself together, I voted JSU!

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 07:57 PM

Pfft. They get ball at half. We can't stop them. I think we're probably done.

Bison56
November 24th, 2018, 07:58 PM

Lol someone needs to get him a paper bag, it's only halftime.

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2018, 08:00 PM
What's surprising about this one is that ETSU is putting together quality drives on what I trust is a good defense. I'm not surprised that ETSU is making them fight for every yard, but I'm surprised by the offensive success.

ETSU QB looks sneaky good and the OC knows how to get the most out of this team

PaladinFan
If ETSU and Wofford win and 4 of 5 CAA teams playing lose I am going to be annoyed.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
I told you not to discount ETSU, they're showing up when you least expect them.

JSUSoutherner
Lol someone needs to get him a paper bag, it's only halftime.

I mean I'm not too worried. I've been saying we'd find a way to screw up all week. It's rinse and repeat at this point.

At least SEMO did a thing 🤷

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Make sure whenever one of you SoCon fans make the ETSU @ Maine thread you add a poll so I can vote for Maine. 

Either one of these teams will beat Maine

CockyGeek
November 24th, 2018, 08:03 PM
We need to hold them on this drive. If we go down three scores I'm going to find a $5 pitcher..

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 08:03 PM
Either one of these teams will beat Maine

I don't know about Maine but ETSU is giving Bye all they want.

POD Knows
November 24th, 2018, 08:08 PM
I don't know about Maine but ETSU is giving Bye all they want.Dude, I took the #bookit karma off you guys, you will be fine in the second half, trust me on this.

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 08:09 PM
ETSU QB looks sneaky good and the OC knows how to get the most out of this team

Funny story. ETSU didn't start Herink this season, but a Temple transfer, Marchi. It was obvious to everyone that Herink was the Bucs' best option at QB.

Sanders pulled Marchi for Herink at the most opportune time. He led the come back against Furman, an effort that eventually kept ETSU in the post season and Furman out.

CockyGeek
November 24th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Unbelievable

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 08:10 PM
Dude, I took the #bookit karma off you guys, you will be fine in the second half, trust me on this.
Absolutely not.

CockyGeek
November 24th, 2018, 08:12 PM
Alright. JSU received permission to tackle. It's a new ballgame.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 08:13 PM
Alright. JSU received permission to tackle. It's a new ballgame.

Wait for it ...

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 08:13 PM
I just noticed that all three SoCon co-champs (ETSU, Furman, and Wofford) don't have names on the back of their jersey.

Not relevant, but sort of peculiar.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 08:16 PM
I just noticed that all three SoCon co-champs (ETSU, Furman, and Wofford) don't have names on the back of their jersey.

Not relevant, but sort of peculiar.

And their uniforms are pretty basic, compared to teams like Western Carolina or the Citadel

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 08:18 PM
🤔

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 24th, 2018, 08:19 PM
ETSU 20, Jacksonville State 17 8:21 3rd

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 08:20 PM
Shaq Davidson plays for Jacksonville State????

Dude, I went to high school with him. He's a stud. I always wondered where he went after he left USC

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 08:21 PM
Shaq Davidson plays for Jacksonville State????

Dude, I went to high school with him. He's a stud. I always wondered where he went after he left USC

Yeah he's been here a minute.

Schism55
November 24th, 2018, 08:21 PM
Wait for it ...
#13 of ETSU to get absolutely trucked? xdrunkyx

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 08:22 PM
#13 of ETSU to get absolutely trucked? xdrunkyx

That play made my night and IDGAF.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 08:29 PM
It appears we have, as the kids say, "woken the **** up"

TheKingpin28
November 24th, 2018, 08:30 PM
That play made my night and IDGAF.

Maybe the #bookit curse WAS lifted?

Bisonoline
November 24th, 2018, 08:31 PM
Is JSUs QB the one they started the season with?

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 08:32 PM
ETSU looks kind of gassed right now

JSUSoutherner
JFC Coop

POD Knows
Maybe the #bookit curse WAS lifted?It was lifted, formally and in writing.

JSUSoutherner
Is JSUs QB the one they started the season with?

Yes

Schism55
November 24th, 2018, 08:34 PM
1. JSU came to play second half
2-Infinity. That Rooster call is annoying AF and makes me want to fill the world with uppercuts >.>

Reign of Terrier
huge stop by ETSU.

CockyGeek
Cooper is doing everything he can.

TheKingpin28
It was lifted, formally and in writing.

It was a more, I am agreeing with you, and trying to get him to go along with it as well.

JSUSoutherner
2-Infinity. That Rooster call is annoying AF and makes me want to fill the world with uppercuts >.>

Get over it, kid.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 08:35 PM

3. It's a blatant knock off of the University of South Carolina.

Bisonator
November 24th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Why go pass happy down in the red zone when you have been running it on them? xsmhx

Bison56
November 24th, 2018, 08:36 PM

Agree with the #2, it's as bad as the YSU whistle.

TheKingpin28
Why go pass happy down in the red zone when you have been running it on them? xsmhx

Cause Grass is likely related to Farley.

Bison56

Doesn't make sense at all.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2018, 08:37 PM
JSU's kicker looks like a DT....xeyebrowx