PDA

View Full Version : Could FURMAN Still make the Playoffs [UPDATED ODDS, 11/18 Afternoon]

smilo
November 18th, 2018, 11:56 AM
GUYS, so despite a 4 game win stream to move FURMAN from 2-4 to 6-4 including DEMOLISHING bubble teams like Mercer and VMI ON THE ROAD as well at Chattanooga who also got robbed and most of all THE CITADEL who very nearly beat ALA-FREAKIN’-BAMA, THE NUMBER ONE TEAM IN TEH WHOLE NATION, and despite a long difficult campaign orchestrated by the best cyber people, the Selection Committee still decided Furman, one of the best teams in the 2nd or 3rd best conference, was STILL not deserving enough to make the NCAA Football playoffs. Instead, they VERY UNFAIRLY selected Lamar and Incarnate Word, two of the worst teams from one of the worst conferences.

What this thread is about is – is there still a way for Furman to take the spots of one of these teams? What do you think? Like Furman, Incarnate Word also cancelled a game but not because of weather like FURMAN, but because they were very scared of Incarnate Word destroying their chance of getting to 7 wins. I think it’s safe to say that 7-3 North Alabama, a many time champion of the sport, would have probably dropped Incarnate Word to 5 losses. FURMAN got totally screwed by the weather, and if we still had a chance to play Colgate, before the playoffs next week (They have a bye), FURMAN could catch them on a cold one-game losing streak and get to 7 wins.

What I’m asking guys is, do you think it’s still possible? We’re very hot, and cowardly Colgate is very cold, and Incarnate Word is terrible with no football history. Do you think it might be possible?

Nor Eastern
November 18th, 2018, 12:01 PM
UNI and Elon making the playoffs is a bigger joke than thinking FU would make it.

MacThor
November 18th, 2018, 12:10 PM
I would put the odds at 0%.

gofurman
November 18th, 2018, 01:04 PM
GUYS, so despite a 4 game win stream to move FURMAN from 2-4 to 6-4 including DEMOLISHING bubble teams like Mercer and VMI ON THE ROAD as well at Chattanooga who also got robbed and most of all THE CITADEL who very nearly beat ALA-FREAKIN’-BAMA, THE NUMBER ONE TEAM IN TEH WHOLE NATION, and despite a long difficult campaign orchestrated by the best cyber people, the Selection Committee still decided Furman, one of the best teams in the 2nd or 3rd best conference, was STILL not deserving enough to make the NCAA Football playoffs. Instead, they VERY UNFAIRLY selected Lamar and Incarnate Word, two of the worst teams from one of the worst conferences.

What this thread is about is – is there still a way for Furman to take the spots of one of these teams? What do you think? Like Furman, Incarnate Word also cancelled a game but not because of weather like FURMAN, but because they were very scared of Incarnate Word destroying their chance of getting to 7 wins. I think it’s safe to say that 7-3 North Alabama, a many time champion of the sport, would have probably dropped Incarnate Word to 5 losses. FURMAN got totally screwed by the weather, and if we still had a chance to play Colgate, before the playoffs next week (They have a bye), FURMAN could catch them on a cold one-game losing streak and get to 7 wins.

What I’m asking guys is, do you think it’s still possible? We’re very hot, and cowardly Colgate is very cold, and Incarnate Word is terrible with no football history. Do you think it might be possible?

Dude. I am slow to anger and I am sorry but THIS is an ASS post. For one, most of your AGS brethren (who KNOW THEIR STUFF) agreed Furman should be in. Most All the AGS posts last night (bubble / bracketology etc ) had Furman in. The committee putting freakin incarnate word and Lamar in a joke. Most on AGS seem to agree.

So if you are heckling Furman you are also calling AGS POLL voters stupid. Our own AGS poll here had Furman at 22nd ... and w 2 IVY schools and NC AT above us that's really 19th since those three don't go to playoff.

Nobowls.com had us in. And he has a great track record. He has correctly picked 169 of 180 FCS playoff participants since 2008.

The real summary is the committee just got even farther from the truth - the AGS poll

smilo
November 18th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Hey, I had Furman 20th and had no Southland teams after Nicholls near my poll submission! :)

Doesn't mean I can't enjoy it If my team had gotten one more win to miss out with 6 wins, we would obviously be in, but if we weren't, I can't say I would be too disappointed about being left out since we didn't really deserve to be under championship consideration.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 01:20 PM
Dude. I am slow to anger and I am sorry but THIS is an ASS post. For one, most of your AGS brethren (who KNOW THEIR STUFF) agreed Furman should be in. Most All the AGS posts last night (bubble / bracketology etc ) had Furman in. The committee putting freakin incarnate word and Lamar in a joke. Most on AGS seem to agree.

So if you are heckling Furman you are also calling AGS POLL voters stupid. Our own AGS poll here had Furman at 22nd ... and w 2 IVY schools and NC AT above us that's really 19th since those three don't go to playoff.

Nobowls.com had us in. And he has a great track record. He has correctly picked 169 of 180 FCS playoff participants since 2008.

The real summary is the committee just got even farther from the truth - the AGS poll
Yeah we all voted for Furman but hey, anyone seen FUbeAR or GameBreaker in the last couple hours?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 18th, 2018, 01:20 PM
What's the alternate situation? John Daly won the 1991 PGA Championship as the 9th alternate. So you know....

cx500d
November 18th, 2018, 06:01 PM
Yeah we all voted for Furman but hey, anyone seen FUbeAR or GameBreaker in the last couple hours?

Next sighting should be ~ 7/23/2019

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 06:07 PM
Next sighting should be ~ 7/23/2019

I actually saw FUBeAR in another thread not long ago. Still no sign of GameBreaker

PaladinNation
November 18th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Let's please let this die!
Furman doesn't own being dissed by the playoff committee.

We just won our 14th SoCon Championship.
We have 16 starters coming back next season.
We have a top ten recruiting class in the works possibly a top five.
Let's congratulate our coaches and players and get ready to watch hopefully some great playoff matchups.

Wofford and ETSU frigging WIN!!!

semobison
November 18th, 2018, 06:39 PM
UNI and Elon making the playoffs is a bigger joke than thinking FU would make it.

Yet, I would put money on UNI to win their first round game.

TheKingpin28
November 18th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Anyone know if Furman made the playoffs?

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Anyone know if Furman made the playoffs?

Who is Furman?

TheKingpin28
November 18th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Who is Furman?

They suck.

PaladinNation
November 18th, 2018, 06:54 PM
this is Furman… :-)

https://twitter.com/kevconnorsespn/status/1064009370143506438/video/1

MacThor
November 18th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Let's please let this die!
Furman doesn't own being dissed by the playoff committee.

We just won our 14th SoCon Championship.
We have 16 starters coming back next season.
We have a top ten recruiting class in the works possibly a top five.
Let's congratulate our coaches and players and get ready to watch hopefully some great playoff matchups.

And also watch your basketball team take out half of last year's final four!

PaladinFan
November 18th, 2018, 07:08 PM
If you all have a beef with one post pumping up his team with absolutely fact-based and realistic arguments, then that's fine. Unlike a lot of trolls, his arguments for Furman's inclusion were at least rational. Most every FCS writer/pundit/swami had Furman in the field. That's why it is nice to avoid the bubble.

I'm proud of the Paladin program. They started off this season against several tough teams, had a cancellation, and was perhaps the last team in the country to play a home game this year. They fought and battled all season, won a share of the conference title and were red hot at the end of the year.

I think you are just starting to see the beginning of Furman's resurgence. They win a share of the title in Clay Hendrix's second year. They are an incredibly young team with, I think, 1 senior starter on offense and starting 5 sophomores on the offensive line. They have a highly regarded recruiting class coming in, and are just going to keep getting better.

PaladinFan
November 18th, 2018, 07:09 PM
And also watch your basketball team take out half of last year's final four!

No joke. Coach Richey is a fun dude and loves being at Furman. His players love playing for him. They are perhaps one of the best stories of the first few weeks of the NCAA season.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 07:25 PM
If you all have a beef with one post pumping up his team with absolutely fact-based and realistic arguments, then that's fine. Unlike a lot of trolls, his arguments for Furman's inclusion were at least rational. Most every FCS writer/pundit/swami had Furman in the field. That's why it is nice to avoid the bubble.

I'm proud of the Paladin program. They started off this season against several tough teams, had a cancellation, and was perhaps the last team in the country to play a home game this year. They fought and battled all season, won a share of the conference title and were red hot at the end of the year.

I think you are just starting to see the beginning of Furman's resurgence. They win a share of the title in Clay Hendrix's second year. They are an incredibly young team with, I think, 1 senior starter on offense and starting 5 sophomores on the offensive line. They have a highly regarded recruiting class coming in, and are just going to keep getting better.

I don't think anyone had a problem with his logic. That's why we all still voted for Furman. He was just an annoying troll.

KPSUL
November 18th, 2018, 07:42 PM
I assumed that his thread was posted for comic relief ?

gofurman
November 18th, 2018, 07:58 PM
I actually saw FUBeAR in another thread not long ago. Still no sign of GameBreaker

And I've been here. I don't disappear.

I'll say this (ask those that read SoCon threads) FUBeAR knows more than the average bear about football. He played at Furman. Son played at Mercer. And he coached GA High School football (I am almost sure) for about 20 years. Dude knows football

anyway, future of Furman looks very bright. New /old coach Hendrix (went to Air Force and came back ) took 3 win team and in his first year (2017) won 8 games and a playoff bid then in 2nd year wins a share of SoCon TITLE. Changing the culture fast ! I'll get to more in a SoCin thread.

Quick stat to to show how much Hendrix has done. Furman has about 16 layoff appearances. He was either a place or coach for all but one. Then he left for ten years to be at Air Force. In those TEN YEARS we made the playoffs ONCE. Hendrix is a key.

*** I wish you all healthy and fun playoff runs !!! I mean that xnodx.

Good of luck to all

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 08:01 PM
And I've been here. I don't disappear.

I'll say this (ask those that read SoCon threads) FUBeAR knows more than the average bear about football. He played at Furman. Son played at Mercer. And he coached GA High School football (I am almost sure) for about 20 years. Dude knows football

anyway, future of Furman looks very bright. New /old coach Hendrix (went to Air Force and came back ) took 3 win team and in his first year (2017) won 8 games and a playoff bid then in 2nd year wins a share of SoCon TITLE. Changing the culture fast ! I'll get to more in a SoCin thread.

Quick stat to to show how much Hendrix has done. Furman has about 16 layoff appearances. He was either a place or coach for all but one. Then he left for ten years to be at Air Force. In those TEN YEARS we made the playoffs ONCE. Hendrix is a key.

*** I wish you all healthy and fun playoff runs !!! I mean that xnodx.

Good of luck to all

You're chill. FUGB is the one that annoys me. FUBeAR can be a bit much at times, but then again, I can be a bit much at times as well so it's a wash.

gofurman
November 18th, 2018, 08:02 PM
No joke. Coach Richey is a fun dude and loves being at Furman. His players love playing for him. They are perhaps one of the best stories of the first few weeks of the NCAA season.

That s amazing. For those of you that may not know-

Furman basketball just beat both Loyola-Chicago (fighting sister jeans) and defending National Champ Villanova in the last 8 days. And tied the all time NCAA record of 15 threes by one player in an NCAA game. FIFTEEN. That's sick.

Again wish you all the best in the playoffs !!!

gofurman
November 18th, 2018, 08:13 PM
You're chill. FUGB is the one that annoys me. FUBeAR can be a bit much at times, but then again, I can be a bit much at times as well so it's a wash.

Thanks JSU. I don't want people hatin' on my school.

I saw the preponderance of Furman posts (in general) - not anyone in particular. I can see how that coulda been annoying. Though it did turn out to be an interesting aside as we kept going from 2-4 to 6-4. Wish we were in. We aren't. Only thing I had to say was "how the Crap were we not at least first three teams out when nobowls and AGS and 2 of 3 Herosports had us in the field ? ".

The committee - I use that word LOOSELY because they sure are NOT a brain trust - just seems to not know what the hell is going on ... And that makes all of our FCS look bad

What also make FCS look bad are the Coaches poll and STATS poll. That's not sour grapes. Those polls really are CRAP. It scares me the committee said 'we use the coaches poll' etc.

cx500d
November 18th, 2018, 08:42 PM
Thanks JSU. I don't want people hatin' on my school.

I saw the preponderance of Furman posts (in general) - not anyone in particular. I can see how that coulda been annoying. Though it did turn out to be an interesting aside as we kept going from 2-4 to 6-4. Wish we were in. We aren't. Only thing I had to say was "how the Crap were we not at least first three teams out when nobowls and AGS and 2 of 3 Herosports had us in the field ? ".

The committee - I use that word LOOSELY because they sure are NOT a brain trust - just seems to not know what the hell is going on ... And that makes all of our FCS look bad

What also make FCS look bad are the Coaches poll and STATS poll. That's not sour grapes. Those polls really are CRAP. It scares me the committee said 'we use the coaches poll' etc.

https://i.imgflip.com/2mwkuo.jpg

woffordgrad94
November 18th, 2018, 09:31 PM

Hey Smilo my man...remind me of who just beat your basketball team up there at Nova? I forgot. Seems like it was some team that wore purple jerseys but I’m not sure...

Sorry, had to do it. This post just begged for it.

smilo
November 18th, 2018, 10:22 PM
I absolutely predicted Furman to beat us so I didn't watch :) I'm quite happy we lost to tick off our overly cocky fans who don't have any respect for teams like Furman or don't remember where they came from.

Believe it or not, I have great respect for both Furman the SoCon. This is about posters not the team. Furman is definitely better than my team on both the gridiron and the court.

Bisonoline
November 19th, 2018, 12:27 AM
"""THE CITADEL who very nearly beat ALA-FREAKIN’-BAMA, THE NUMBER ONE TEAM IN TEH WHOLE NATION,"""

Ahhh I dont know where you come from but where I come from 50-17 is not a close game. Just saying.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 07:53 AM
FUBeAR can be a bit much at times, but then again, I can be a bit much at times as well so it's a wash.FUBeAR doesn’t wash.

cx500d
November 19th, 2018, 08:01 AM
FUBeAR doesn’t warsh.

Fyp so your conference mates can understand it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walliver
November 19th, 2018, 08:13 AM
Furman is a lot better than a number of teams that made the playoffs. But, in the end, they have zero OOC wins. Their signature win is a win over Wofford whose signature win is ETSU whose signature win is Furman. Unfortunately, the SoCon as a whole has no OOC signature wins.:(

Wofford should have beat Wyoming but didn't.
Samford had a chance at FSU but lost that game and Kennesaw.
If FU could have beat Colgate or Elon, Mercer beat Yale, the Citadel beat Towson or played CSU when scheduled, or VMI beat anybody the conferences standing would be improved.
As an aside, people make fun of all the teams who played a 3-8 Gardner Webb team, but in their defense, of their 8 losses, one was a decent G5 FBS team (Appy), and 4 were to FCS conference champions (NC A&T, ETSU, Wofford, and Kennesaw). On the other hand, none of them were particularly close.

OL FU
November 19th, 2018, 09:44 AM
I've kept my mouth shut about this but.....
While I think a reasonable case can be made for us being including in the playoffs, it is really difficult to argue strongly that leaving us out was wrong.
I realize that our QB was out but Elon walloped us. We shouldn't have lost the ETSU game after being up by more than 3 scores ( I think ) late in the 3rd quarter.
I realize if the Colgate game had been played and we would have won, we would have been in, but that is an if.

Main take away, we are co-champs. First time since 2013. Things are still headed in the right direction. Would have loved to have made the playoffs to see how we would have fared, but I am not bothered by the fact we didn't.

PS, Basketball is looking really good!!!!

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 10:38 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey now, App State and Georgia Southern aren't here anymore.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that the smack talk between Wofford and Furman players has returned after yesterday. There was a lot on social media last year and I've seen a couple now. I think Wofford-Furman is now the rivalry in the socon where both teams not only view each other as rivals, but also just don't like each other. Say what you want about the Citadel, or Samford or Chattanooga or any others, but I think Wofford and Furman HATE each other.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2018, 10:41 AM

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that the smack talk between Wofford and Furman players has returned after yesterday. There was a lot on social media last year and I've seen a couple now. I think Wofford-Furman is now the rivalry in the socon where both teams not only view each other as rivals, but also just don't like each other. Say what you want about the Citadel, or Samford or Chattanooga or any others, but I think Wofford and Furman HATE each other.

You know what they say. The common thread between a Wofford student and Furman student is they both got into Wofford.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 10:47 AM
You know what they say. The common thread between a Wofford student and Furman student is they both got into Wofford.

Funny enough, no one I was friends with at Wofford even applied there. Purple is just too ugly.

WileECoyote06
November 19th, 2018, 10:53 AM

That's dope. And I will be using it. I thank you!xlolx

OL FU
November 19th, 2018, 11:30 AM
I think Wofford-Furman is now the rivalry in the socon where both teams not only view each other as rivals, but also just don't like each other. Say what you want about the Citadel, or Samford or Chattanooga or any others, but I think Wofford and Furman HATE each other.

:(
That's depressing
:(

blukeys
November 19th, 2018, 11:34 AM

Now that's more like it!!! Let's end all of this Selection Committee Nonsense. There is nothing better than two Hoity - Toity private Southern Schools trying to pretend who is more macho. (By the way Furman prefers brie with their wine.)

All the debate about who beat someone else who only lost to someone else by 20 points when they were projected to lose by 100 is irrelevant due to the fact that life isn't fair. So Furman got New Hampshired. Big Whoop, everyone gets it eventually.

Now back to the Hate business. I have to confess I was getting concerned about the SoCon. After all with ASU and GSU gone, who is left to hate. You know the world is turning upside down when Chattanooga is in the championship talk. It's just so hard getting a real good dislike going there for those guys.

Back in the glory days, the SoCon not only had ASU and GSU but they had Marshall! Now there is a team you could HATE!xnodx

Even if you overlooked the totally unethical program and the lack of class of the team, you still had the worst fans of any I-AA program in our land. Every negative stereotype and hillbilly West Virginia joke could be applied to the Marshall fan base. Marshall fans made ASU fans look like city slickers. xnodx

It is good to see SoCon getting it's antagonism back so they can focus on the important things such as thorough disgust for a conference opponent.

Now for you youngterrier, you have been posting here for over a decade. What makes you think you are still young??xconfusedx Time for you to join OL FU at the senior center. There you can get on the brand new Wofford - Furman hate fest and leave the selection Committee arguments to the youngsters. xdrunkyxxdrunkyxxdrunkyxxdrunkyxxdrunkyx

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Now that's more like it!!! Let's end all of this Selection Committee Nonsense. There is nothing better than two Hoity - Toity private Southern Schools trying to pretend who is more macho. (By the way Furman prefers brie with their wine.)

All the debate about who beat someone else who only lost to someone else by 20 points when they were projected to lose by 100 is irrelevant due to the fact that life isn't fair. So Furman got New Hampshired. Big Whoop, everyone gets it eventually.

Now back to the Hate business. I have to confess I was getting concerned about the SoCon. After all with ASU and GSU gone, who is left to hate. You know the world is turning upside down when Chattanooga is in the championship talk. It's just so hard getting a real good dislike going there for those guys.

Back in the glory days, the SoCon not only had ASU and GSU but they had Marshall! Now there is a team you could HATE!xnodx

Even if you overlooked the totally unethical program and the lack of class of the team, you still had the worst fans of any I-AA program in our land. Every negative stereotype and hillbilly West Virginia joke could be applied to the Marshall fan base. Marshall fans made ASU fans look like city slickers. xnodx

It is good to see SoCon getting it's antagonism back so they can focus on the important things such as thorough disgust for a conference opponent.

Now for you youngterrier, you have been posting here for over a decade. What makes you think you are still young??xconfusedx Time for you to join OL FU at the senior center. There you can get on the brand new Wofford - Furman hate fest and leave the selection Committee arguments to the youngsters. xdrunkyxxdrunkyxxdrunkyxxdrunkyxxdrunkyx

I have been tempted to change my avatar name, but I think I'm going to keep it because it's part of my brand.

As for Wofford-Furman hating each other, last year Furman players openly talked smack about Wofford only beating teams by like 3 or whatever. I'm young enough to where I still have friends who go to Wofford (though not after this year). Before the Wofford-Furman playoff game I saw a snapchat that got spread around of two people, I assume they were Furman players flipping off the camera and saying "**** Wofford"...Wofford then pulverized them in the playoffs.

And now I've seen at least one Wofford player tweet at a Furman player "good luck in the playoffs."

It goes both ways. Lots of smack talk. It's pretty cool IMO.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Funny enough, no one I was friends with at Wofford even applied there. Purple is just too ugly.yes...it’s hard for a ‘null set’ to perform any action. xlolx

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I have been tempted to change my avatar name, but I think I'm going to keep it because it's part of my brand.

As for Wofford-Furman hating each other, last year Furman players openly talked smack about Wofford only beating teams by like 3 or whatever. I'm young enough to where I still have friends who go to Wofford (though not after this year). Before the Wofford-Furman playoff game I saw a snapchat that got spread around of two people, I assume they were Furman players flipping off the camera and saying "**** Wofford"...Wofford then pulverized them in the playoffs.

And now I've seen at least one Wofford player tweet at a Furman player "good luck in the playoffs."

It goes both ways. Lots of smack talk. It's pretty cool IMO.

One backup offensive lineman last year who didn't play a snap all season (or this season as best I could tell) made a comment last year on social media about Wofford winning games by the skin of their teeth. That was precisely true, of course, as Wofford pulled one game after another out of their rear ends.

You assume that some snap chat video was Furman players just because you assume it was?

I'm sure there is a developing rivalry. Furman and Wofford often recruit the same players. Personally, I think right now a lot of the recruiting battles Wofford was winning 5 years ago they are currently losing, so there are a number of current Terriers who likely were offered by and then had the offer rescinded by Furman as the Paladins fill out their recruiting class. That fact alone creates resentment, I am sure.

PaladinNation
November 19th, 2018, 12:08 PM
One backup offensive lineman last year who didn't play a snap all season (or this season as best I could tell) made a comment last year on social media about Wofford winning games by the skin of their teeth. That was precisely true, of course, as Wofford pulled one game after another out of their rear ends.

You assume that some snap chat video was Furman players just because you assume it was?

I'm sure there is a developing rivalry. Furman and Wofford often recruit the same players. Personally, I think right now a lot of the recruiting battles Wofford was winning 5 years ago they are currently losing, so there are a number of current Terriers who likely were offered by and then had the offer rescinded by Furman as the Paladins fill out their recruiting class. That fact alone creates resentment, I am sure.

Back a few years ago - maybe last year of Lamb and early recruiting of the Fowler era. Wofford ate our lunch, especially recruiting at LB.

This season based on offers listed Furman has scored; Jalen Miller (LB), Evan Jumper (OL), Austin Jones (S), Josh Slay (LB) all had Wofford offers.

More interesting Furman went head to head with JMU we lost I know one battle but Furman scored; Jack Barton (SDE), and from the above; Jumper, Jones, and Slay.

I would love to see Furman get back to playing Richmond, W&M, and JMU on a rotating basis. As Furman builds up its program, we're competing heavily against CAA schools more than SoCon schools. Almost every Furman offer also has an offer from Elon.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Back a few years ago - maybe last year of Lamb and early recruiting of the Fowler era. Wofford ate our lunch, especially recruiting at LB.

This season based on offers listed Furman has scored; Jalen Miller (LB), Evan Jumper (OL), Austin Jones (S), Josh Slay (LB) all had Wofford offers.

More interesting Furman went head to head with JMU we lost I know one battle but Furman scored; Jack Barton (SDE), and from the above; Jumper, Jones, and Slay.

I would love to see Furman get back to playing Richmond, W&M, and JMU on a rotating basis. As Furman builds up its program, we're competing heavily against CAA schools more than SoCon schools. Almost every Furman offer also has an offer from Elon.

There's one Wofford offensive lineman I saw play in high school. He couldn't block my grandmother.

Of course, my grandma was pretty spry.

Of note, since Hendrix came to Greenville, I'm not sure I can recall a single Wofford commit that also held a reported offer from Furman. I can think of a bunch of Furman commits that also held an offer from Wofford.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 12:18 PM

I have good reason to think those players were football players, but I'm not elaborating on the details of why that is on a public message board.

And Wofford has more early verbal commitments than we have had in a while, if ever. I think it's a stretch to say either team is losing any recruiting battles.

PaladinNation
November 19th, 2018, 12:28 PM
I have good reason to think those players were football players, but I'm not elaborating on the details of why that is on a public message board.

And Wofford has more early verbal commitments than we have had in a while, if ever. I think it's a stretch to say either team is losing any recruiting battles.

I agree based on HERO sports ratings if your into that thing… Furman (7), Wofford (16) and Mercer (17) are all ranked in the top 25 recruiting classes as of October. Not sure about who else has committed or going to commit to the Terriers but Furman has quite a bit of offers out there and my guess is Furman, in the end, has a top five class. Again don't mean a thing if they don't develop. But the track record for Hendrix and Wofford and Mercer under Lamb says these three schools could be the future of the SoCon.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 12:40 PM
I agree based on HERO sports ratings if your into that thing… Furman (7), Wofford (16) and Mercer (17) are all ranked in the top 25 recruiting classes as of October. Not sure about who else has committed or going to commit to the Terriers but Furman has quite a bit of offers out there and my guess is Furman, in the end, has a top five class. Again don't mean a thing if they don't develop. But the track record for Hendrix and Wofford and Mercer under Lamb says these three schools could be the future of the SoCon.

1) I don't invest anything in those ratings. Mainly because all Americans at this level are usually upperclassmen and the elite teams have no discernable freshmen talent from a year-to-year basis than the other top-tier teams. Development+conditioning is the name of the game at this level. There's a reason why a team like, say, Charleston Southern can go from irrelevant in ~2014 to a quarterfinalist in 2015 to competing well against NDSU in 2016 to back to irrelevant in 2018.

2) Given 1, I still agree with you that Furman and Wofford should be the teams to beat going forward. Mercer is more of a wild card, they have to put together more consistency, though they were a margin of error team for the playoffs each of the last 3 years.

3) What will be interesting to see going forward is how well Wofford develops our recruits going forward with big changes in our coaching staff.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2018, 12:42 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI just about choked on my fries holy ****.

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2018, 12:42 PM
....DIS.....PHURMAN PHILABUSTER.....STILL GOIN'...AGS LADS TOLD....HEN NATION....TA PUT UH CORK INIT......WHEN MARTY.....PULLED OUT.....DUH...COMPROMISIN' PHOTOS....xblahx...AWK!

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 12:49 PM
choked

xeyebrowx

PaladinNation
November 19th, 2018, 12:53 PM
1) I don't invest anything in those ratings. Mainly because all Americans at this level are usually upperclassmen and the elite teams have no discernable freshmen talent from a year-to-year basis than the other top-tier teams. Development+conditioning is the name of the game at this level. There's a reason why a team like, say, Charleston Southern can go from irrelevant in ~2014 to a quarterfinalist in 2015 to competing well against NDSU in 2016 to back to irrelevant in 2018.

2) Given 1, I still agree with you that Furman and Wofford should be the teams to beat going forward. Mercer is more of a wild card, they have to put together more consistency, though they were a margin of error team for the playoffs each of the last 3 years.

3) What will be interesting to see going forward is how well Wofford develops our recruits going forward with big changes in our coaching staff.

YT… last thing on this. Ayers did an amazing job at developing talent and choose players that fit the Wofford system. As success followed your talent level increased IMO dramatically. I don't think it's just wishful thinking to say that Hendrix is very similar in many ways to Ayers. Hendrix is building this team in the mold he feels will be successful - again - very similar to what Ayers did. I think the days of Furman being about 50/50 on offensive linemen panning out are over. Which will be a key to a Hendrix team.

I'm really curious to see how you guys do in the future under Coklin?

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 01:07 PM
YT… last thing on this. Ayers did an amazing job at developing talent and choose players that fit the Wofford system. As success followed your talent level increased IMO dramatically. I don't think it's just wishful thinking to say that Hendrix is very similar in many ways to Ayers. Hendrix is building this team in the mold he feels will be successful - again - very similar to what Ayers did. I think the days of Furman being about 50/50 on offensive linemen panning out are over. Which will be a key to a Hendrix team.

We're going to continue to evolve. I think you can attribute our inconsistency this year to youth, especially on offense. There's only 2 seniors on the 2 deep of the offense and they're both at running back. On defense, we're breaking into a new system with lots of young linebackers (part of the reason why I think we choked so bad against furman earlier this year). What's good about the playoffs is that our guys get more practice time. Our expectations for this year were a bit too high and we overestimated how good we would be after the first few games where we outperformed last year's performances when all teams we played seemed improved. I don't expect to make it to Frisco this year, but we have a favorable bracket and I like what Coach Conklin is doing.

dungeonjoe
November 19th, 2018, 01:20 PM
yes...it’s hard for a ‘null set’ to perform any action. xlolx
null set...is that Furman in the playoffs this year?

too soon?:)

walliver
November 19th, 2018, 01:47 PM
The key to Conklin's long-term success is admitting that the football gods long ago decreed that a player could throw the ball in a forward direction. Our offense has learned that this is now a legal play. Now we just need to teach our defense that it is perfectly legal to try and prevent the other team from completing this play (except with Big South refs where any attempt by the defense to prevent a completion is called as interference).

woffordgrad94
November 19th, 2018, 01:58 PM
The Big South just lets anyone off the street ref...they are beyond horrible.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2018, 03:02 PM
null set...is that Furman in the playoffs this year?It is, which is also exactly the same size set as the number of Football games that Wofford has won over Furman this year.

One of those set sizes was determined by a head-to-head competition of the 2 Teams on the field.

The other was determined by a bunch of mis- & under-informed Administrators.

too true?:)

dungeonjoe
November 19th, 2018, 04:16 PM
It is, which is also exactly the same size set as the number of Football games that Wofford has won over Furman this year.

One of those set sizes was determined by a head-to-head competition of the 2 Teams on the field.

The other was determined by a bunch of mis- & under-informed Administrators.

too true?:)
I suspect one is null and the other is void.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Update: I love living rent free in some paladin heads

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2018, 08:28 PM
The key to Conklin's long-term success is admitting that the football gods long ago decreed that a player could throw the ball in a forward direction. Our offense has learned that this is now a legal play. Now we just need to teach our defense that it is perfectly legal to try and prevent the other team from completing this play (except with Big South refs where any attempt by the defense to prevent a completion is called as interference).

I think we will know a lot more about Conklin next year.

I said this when he was hired, but he inherited a playoff caliber team from Mike Ayers. He had to replace some offensive linemen, but returned a bunch of very good defensive players - the strength of Wofford's teams - and a number of key cogs on offense. In a sense, he was a bit like Clay Hendrix in that he stepped into a team that had some question marks, but had a core of really good players at key positions.

cx500d
November 19th, 2018, 08:31 PM
The answer to the thread question is “​Fu** No”

gofurman
November 20th, 2018, 12:18 AM
null set...is that Furman in the playoffs this year?

too soon?:)

Some teams play top 5 Elon (WITH THEIR QB AND RB right before they beat JMU) and some teams play NON SCHOLARSHIP Presbyterian or UT Martin. That's literally why the DUMB AZZ committee has some teams in playoffs and others not. Not a jib at Wofford rather a jib at how STUPID the FCS committee is.

well, that and we have a new committee president from SLC. Let's see---

FACT 9-2 mcneese from SLC couldn't get in last year

now with an SLC president on committee 6 win SLC teams get in. COINCIDENCE ??? I effing think not

gofurman
November 20th, 2018, 12:35 AM

PaladunNation knows of what he speaks. Seriously. He knows

Ayers did a great job developing talent and moving from D2 to FCS etc. he did.

Hendrix is building something. I have heard this a lot from great sources. I'll share. I don't know but what Furman may take a step back next year w QB. We will see. All OL return - all 8 - but we need a QB for our system. But the point is it's like Ayers. This DAM world w social media wants results TODAY. And that's junk. You wanna build something great it takes time. Example Adrian Hope at Furman - NUMBER One In FCS sacks this year. Despair a freshman and playing only TEN games - a game short of everyone else. But we redshirted him last year and I'm sure he coulda helped last years team. But we are trying to play for the long game as we should. Still not there yet

still have a few holes where we can't redshirt but we are getting closer. The Long Term with Hendrix ( who made playoffs in first year ! And conference champ in year two !! From a 3 win team he inherited)... Is his work with the OL. and that takes a lot of time because only one current OL is really Hendrix guy yet Fowler used a lot of OL scholarships his last two years. So we are having to wait for Hendrix to get HIS guys. Current guys are good but Hendrix seems to want a more athletic frame

By 2021/22 it will then be Hendrix GUYS on our OL. Because we Have some great ones coming in but they may redshirt so won't be redshirt sophomores until 2021. That's just how it is w OL. takes a long time as you know - redshirt, get experience. Takes at least 3 years

PaladinNation
November 20th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Another thought about Wofford and Furman… Ayers and his staff seemed to have built very good in-state relationships with the high school coaches. We've had many a heated convo on the Furman board about Furman recruiting very little in-state.

My wife is an administrator at a local private high school — she never saw a Furman coach. She did see plenty of Wofford coaches - who happened to land a stud running back from her school.

Very soon after Clay was named head coach — who was visiting the head coach at that school? Hendrix.

That school now has an ex-Wofford OL coach as the AD and ex-defensive coach as the Head Coach. It would give me pause as a Terrier that the first player in the school's history to play in an all-star game was brought to Clay's attention by the head coach.

Ayer's did the details well, and I'm sure that will continue under Conklin, the change is Clay does the details well, and I don't think Furman drops the ball on local talent anymore. I'm hearing rumors of at least four Greenville County players in 2019 class adding to a player already committed from Spartanburg, well change that Duncan:-)

Back to point YT made earlier about ratings and offers… Devin Wynn - I pretty sure Furman was his only offer.

PaladinFan
November 20th, 2018, 08:33 AM
At the FCS level, the key in recruiting is finding value. That probably is not as easy as you might expect. You have to find guys that might be misfits, or undersized, or move their position. Once in the program, you have to turn it over to the coaches and training staff to turn them into better football players.

Furman, I think, has done well finding value. Devin Wynn was a Class A running back from a rural part of Georgia. Adrian Hope was an undersized pass rusher. Darren Grainger was a high school WR that missed a lot of time with a leg injury after an auto accident. Market inefficiencies. Find guys that are under-recruited.

Furman is also able to go after guys that a lot of schools have little use for. Furman uses a true blocking fullback, for instance. Other similar schools like Samford and Mercer don't use a fullback at all. Wofford's fullback is more of a running back than a lead blocker. Same sort of thing with the TE position - that is an under-utilized position at a lot of programs.

walliver
November 20th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Another thought about Wofford and Furman… Ayers and his staff seemed to have built very good in-state relationships with the high school coaches. We've had many a heated convo on the Furman board about Furman recruiting very little in-state.

My wife is an administrator at a local private high school — she never saw a Furman coach. She did see plenty of Wofford coaches - who happened to land a stud running back from her school.

Very soon after Clay was named head coach — who was visiting the head coach at that school? Hendrix.

That school now has an ex-Wofford OL coach as the AD and ex-defensive coach as the Head Coach. It would give me pause as a Terrier that the first player in the school's history to play in an all-star game was brought to Clay's attention by the head coach.

Ayer's did the details well, and I'm sure that will continue under Conklin, the change is Clay does the details well, and I don't think Furman drops the ball on local talent anymore. I'm hearing rumors of at least four Greenville County players in 2019 class adding to a player already committed from Spartanburg, well change that Duncan:-)

Back to point YT made earlier about ratings and offers… Devin Wynn - I pretty sure Furman was his only offer.

Apparently the AD did not leave Wofford on the best of terms. Although he was the first choice of many fans to replace Ayers, he was the primary offensive coach who left (most of our defensive staff went to Georgia Tech or App State). I don't know the details, but was sad to hear of it when he left. If he were still here, we would have been much more competitive in our two FCS losses, and might be sitting at home this weekend with a seed.

It is worrisome to possibly lose the St. Joseph's connection as many of our best players have been from small private (and public) high schools whose players are generally overlooked due to playing weak competition. We have struggled at times recruiting from Spartanburg County - I suspect going from playing in a packed Gibbs on Friday to a less-than-packed stadium on Saturday is not particularly attractive. Fortunately, Spartanburg High School is relocating and building a new stadium so hopefully we can dress up our stadium a little better. Our current contract limits Wofford-specific signage to some extent. For example, there are no in-stadium markings honoring SoCon Championships.

PaladinFan
November 20th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Apparently the AD did not leave Wofford on the best of terms. Although he was the first choice of many fans to replace Ayers, he was the primary offensive coach who left (most of our defensive staff went to Georgia Tech or App State). I don't know the details, but was sad to hear of it when he left. If he were still here, we would have been much more competitive in our two FCS losses, and might be sitting at home this weekend with a seed.

It is worrisome to possibly lose the St. Joseph's connection as many of our best players have been from small private (and public) high schools whose players are generally overlooked due to playing weak competition. We have struggled at times recruiting from Spartanburg County - I suspect going from playing in a packed Gibbs on Friday to a less-than-packed stadium on Saturday is not particularly attractive. Fortunately, Spartanburg High School is relocating and building a new stadium so hopefully we can dress up our stadium a little better. Our current contract limits Wofford-specific signage to some extent. For example, there are no in-stadium markings honoring SoCon Championships.

I have zero inside knowledge, but from an outsider's perspective, the coaching transition certainly gave the appearance of a lot of turmoil inside Wofford Athletics.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 09:03 AM

Back to point YT made earlier about ratings and offers… Devin Wynn - I pretty sure Furman was his only offer.Yeah Lennox McAfee was a similar story: he's from Chattanooga and didn't get an offer. Wofford was his only one I think.

Anyway, as for Eric Nash, the coach/AD you're referring to, it's his job (in part) to make sure these kids get noticed. I will say that it's possible Nash is a little upset with how the Ayers transition went, but I couldn't tell you. Wofford has pivoted heavily to the south for recruits. We used to recruit heavily in Ohio, but more of our recruits come from South of the Mason Dixon line.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 09:15 AM
As someone who graduated from Wofford in the last few years and has been close to the rumor mill (with no particular inside information), Wofford is an institution that runs heavily on the people working there loving it.

A lot of professors, coaches and administrators are long time incumbents who got to their position after being in a smaller role for years. To name one example, Sheil Wood, our DC last year, is the son of a VP at the college.

In the last few years we have had some shake ups and retirements. Lots of people think they should be in line for the open position because they think they earned it and that's how the predecessor got there. It's basically the same thinking you get at an NAIA or high school. But Wofford is a D1 program now.

So part of the reason a lot of coaches left was because they had been there for a while and that perception sort of shattered. Ayers kept a staff with minimal turnover for the majority of his time.

What happened was going to happened eventually. If I had a dollar for every time I heard of someone feeling betrayed because they didn't get what they want (as a matter of policy or staffing) I could pay tuition. This may sound like Wofford people are entitled or whatever, but it's expected of a small institution where everyone knows each other, that has minimal short term changes, and the people working there that love the place have minimal negative experiences.

I'm glad we got that messiness out of the way because having that sort of mindset can make people complacent and not sufficiently critical of their job performance.

dungeonjoe
November 20th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Hendricks is a coach dedicated to details and has a great heart for those play for him and coach with him. That is the mark of an impressive leader---which can be rare these days. He will do well.

woffordgrad94
November 20th, 2018, 10:41 AM

Andre Stoddard from St. Joseph’s High? I believe he is the stud running back that you speak of. He has had a great Terrier career.

woffordgrad94
November 20th, 2018, 10:48 AM
I think Wofford will be fine going forward. Furman as well. Both schools are known for quality academics and winning football and will be attractive to a number of recruits.

PaladinNation
November 20th, 2018, 11:02 AM
responding to our Wofford brothers - I've not heard a peep of negativity from Nash or Wheeler about Wofford.
In my several brief conversations with Nash he spoke highly of Ayers and Hendrix.

You guys should be proud of Jon Wheeler - the players love him - and he's building something there. Yes, I was speaking code about Stoddard. So, do you guys want me to whet your appetite and get a sneak peek at the next player that I bet FU/WC will battle over?
Rashad Luckey RB 5-11 220

http://www.hudl.com/v/2AmzSt

PaladinFan
November 20th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Hendricks is a coach dedicated to details and has a great heart for those play for him and coach with him. That is the mark of an impressive leader---which can be rare these days. He will do well.

You can see small details that have resurfaced now that Hendrix is back on staff. Stuff that I had forgotten I used to see out of a Hendrix coached team.

Saturday's game had a good example. Furman drew a 5 yard neutral zone infraction penalty against Mercer. Mercer's interior DT jumped into the neutral zone on the hard count and quickly jumped back. When he jumped over, though, Furman C Cole Neely quickly reached out his free hand (other being on the ball) and lightly tapped the DTs helmet/shoulder pad. There was some debate over who the penalty was on, but ultimately the refs properly called Mercer for the infraction.

The rule reads that a sudden movement by an interior offensive lineman is a false start except when the lineman makes that movement immediately reacting when threatened by a defensive player in the neutral zone. Neely immediately reacted, didn't fly out of his stance, didn't snap the ball, but lightly tapped the Mercer DT.

You could see Lamb arguing that Neely had to snap the ball, but that is not what the rule reads. The player has to be immediately threatened and has to immediately react. So, Neely is the only one that could have moved and had to do so immediately upon the player jumping into the neutral zone. There is no requirement that Furman snap the ball to draw the penalty (which would force Furman to run a "free play").

I think you would go far and wide before you would find a C coached to reach out his off hand to tap a DT in the neutral zone. When Hendrix was last on Furman's staff, though, you would see it all the time - OGs would spring out of their stance and pop straight up when the guy across the line would jump over the line.

Virtually every other team will coach the center to snap the ball and run a "free" play. Furman doesn't want to run a free play. They want the five yard penalty. It is almost as though Furman has two plays called - the actual play, and a free 5 yard play that will get run only if a defensive lineman jumps into the neutral zone.

It is, in my opinion, an incredible attention to detail.

FUBeAR
November 20th, 2018, 11:30 AM
Rashad Luckey RB 5-11 220

http://www.hudl.com/v/2AmzSt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5EofwRzit0

FUBeAR
November 20th, 2018, 11:39 AM
You can see small details that have resurfaced now that Hendrix is back on staff. Stuff that I had forgotten I used to see out of a Hendrix coached team.

Saturday's game had a good example. Furman drew a 5 yard neutral zone infraction penalty against Mercer. Mercer's interior DT jumped into the neutral zone on the hard count and quickly jumped back. When he jumped over, though, Furman C Cole Neely quickly reached out his free hand (other being on the ball) and lightly tapped the DTs helmet/shoulder pad. There was some debate over who the penalty was on, but ultimately the refs properly called Mercer for the infraction.

The rule reads that a sudden movement by an interior offensive lineman is a false start except when the lineman makes that movement immediately reacting when threatened by a defensive player in the neutral zone. Neely immediately reacted, didn't fly out of his stance, didn't snap the ball, but lightly tapped the Mercer DT.

You could see Lamb arguing that Neely had to snap the ball, but that is not what the rule reads. The player has to be immediately threatened and has to immediately react. So, Neely is the only one that could have moved and had to do so immediately upon the player jumping into the neutral zone. There is no requirement that Furman snap the ball to draw the penalty (which would force Furman to run a "free play").

I think you would go far and wide before you would find a C coached to reach out his off hand to tap a DT in the neutral zone. When Hendrix was last on Furman's staff, though, you would see it all the time - OGs would spring out of their stance and pop straight up when the guy across the line would jump over the line.

Virtually every other team will coach the center to snap the ball and run a "free" play. Furman doesn't want to run a free play. They want the five yard penalty. It is almost as though Furman has two plays called - the actual play, and a free 5 yard play that will get run only if a defensive lineman jumps into the neutral zone.

It is, in my opinion, an incredible attention to detail.Yep, them FU OLine boyz is know to be right wily...gotta work on that Canadian Football Rules play, though, that FU ran the very next play to give those 5 yards right back. Thinking WR Coach Bratton must’ve schemed that one up. https://web.archive.org/web/20120401234606/http://en.montrealalouettes.com/roster/show/id/1073 xlolx

BTW - NOTHING AT ALL to do with that play in the FU @ MU game, but FUBeAR thinks that rule is stupid & leads to a lot of unnecessary interpretation by the Officials. Once an OLineman is set, he needs to stay set until the ball is snapped...the way it used to be. Ain’t no self-respecting O-Lineman ever been injured because some dumba$$ DLman jumped the snap count & knocked the OLman on his a$$. Also, stupid that in HS, if the D even enters the neutral zone before the snap, it’s Offside. Remember, I am an OLine guy and both of these stupid rules benefit the O / OLinemen...doesn’t make ‘em any less stupid.