PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11-12

JALMOND
November 12th, 2018, 09:13 PM
First off, happy Veteran's Day to those who are serving or have served in the armed forces. Your sacrifices are very much appreciated. Now as we head into the final week (aptly named rivalry week) things are beginning to get interesting in the Big Sky. For weeks now, I have been touting the new blood that had risen to the top of the conference. Well, the old guard (EWU, Montana, Montana State) have said don't forget about us. Coupled with some surprising outcomes last week and there are quite a few teams who think they can crash the playoff party with a win. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion as usual. Hang on, its going to get interesting.

1. Eastern Washington (3)---Last week beat UC Davis at home 59-20, this week at Portland State---At the beginning of the year the Eagles were thought to be the class of the conference yet an early loss to Weber State dampened those thoughts. A good win last week revived them. They can't look past this game, however.

2. Weber State (4)---Last week won at Southern Utah 31-18, this week at Idaho State---The Wildcats did just what they needed to do in putting down a lessor opponent in a conference game on the road. They have a big game this weekend back on the road against a dangerous conference rival.

3. UC Davis (1)---Last week lost at Eastern Washington 59-20, this week Sacramento State at home---The Aggies were cruising along until they ran into a buzzsaw at Eastern Washington last week. The loss should not hurt them but a loss this weekend to their rivals just might.

4. Idaho State (2)---Last week lost at Cal Poly 37-14, this week Weber State at home---Looking good and flying high, the Bengals train came crashing to a halt last week in a stunning loss. Now a sure playoff berth may be in jeopardy, and they may just have to get a win this weekend.

5. Montana State (5)---Last week beat Northern Colorado at home 35-7, this week at Montana---The Bobcats were careful not to be looking ahead in their home game last weekend. They head out on the road in their annual Brawl. A win and they may make the playoffs.

6. Montana (8)---Last week won at Idaho 46-27, this week Montana State at home---Those of us (myself included) who counted out the Grizzlies just a couple weeks ago may have been mistaken. A win in the Brawl may be just enough to get the Grizzlies in and they are at home.

7. Cal Poly (9)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 37-14, this week Southern Utah at home---The Mustangs relished their role as spoiler as they took down one of the heavies in the conference race last week. They can capitalize on it with another win to end the season.

8. Portland State (7)---Last week lost at North Dakota 17-10, this week Eastern Washington at home---At the beginning of the season it was hard to see the Vikings winning any conference games this year. They felt like they let one slip away and now they have the #1 team coming.

9. Idaho (6)---Last week lost to Montana at home 46-27, this week at Florida (FBS SEC)---The Vandals ended their season last week on the wrong end of a surprising rout by Montana. No playoffs in sight, they do have a non-conference tilt with the mighty Florida team.

10. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week lost at Montana State 35-7, this week bye---The Bears came up short last weekend at Montana State, ending their season.

11. Northern Arizona (11)---Last week's game with Sacramento State was postponed due to wildfires, this week North Dakota at home---The postponed game last week added to all the "what ifs" the Lumberjacks experienced this season. They get one more shot at a conference win, but who will play?

12. Southern Utah (12)---Last week lost to Weber State at home 31-18, this week at Cal Poly---The Thunderbirds put up a game effort last week at home against their Beehive rival. They have another shot at a win this weekend, but they head out on the road to try to get it.

13. Sacramento State (13)---Last week's game was postponed with Northern Arizona, this week at UC Davis---In effect, the Hornets will have two weeks to prepare for their rival after last week's game was called off. Not the season they wanted but a chance to be all good with a win this weekend.

RECAP: 1-2 surging, 3-4 fading a bit, 5-9 holding, 10-13 falling back.

wapiti
November 13th, 2018, 09:27 AM
One could argue for Idaho State to fall below the Montana schools, but I am ok with leaving them at the 4 spot.

One may also argue to flip Portland State and Idaho since Idaho did win the head to head.

mvemjsunpx
November 13th, 2018, 09:36 AM
One could argue for Idaho State to fall below the Montana schools, but I am ok with leaving them at the 4 spot.

Idaho State beat MSU and played 2 FBS games, so that's a weird argument.

wapiti
November 13th, 2018, 10:02 AM

ISU did just get embarrassed by CP. The most recent performance has an affect on the rankings.

MSUBobcat
November 13th, 2018, 02:07 PM

There's a case to be made for MSU over Idaho State after the CP debacle. We lost to them 3 weeks ago by 1 score in their quonset in the first game with Matt Miller as OC. Since then, MSU has scored 49 (against the team that just trounced ISU) and 35. The teams seem to be trending in opposite directions since Oct. 27th. I'd say if they played again today on a neutral field, it would be a tossup. Since I see it as a tossup as of right now, not 3 weeks ago, I think both sides have a legitimate argument for being rank ever so slightly ahead of the other.

JALMOND
November 13th, 2018, 04:18 PM
There's a case to be made for MSU over Idaho State after the CP debacle. We lost to them 3 weeks ago by 1 score in their quonset in the first game with Matt Miller as OC. Since then, MSU has scored 49 (against the team that just trounced ISU) and 35. The teams seem to be trending in opposite directions since Oct. 27th. I'd say if they played again today on a neutral field, it would be a tossup. Since I see it as a tossup as of right now, not 3 weeks ago, I think both sides have a legitimate argument for being rank ever so slightly ahead of the other.

Things do have a tendency to work themselves out. My thinking is that Idaho State's loss last week may just be a mere hiccup on the road in conference. However, should they lose to Weber at home this weekend, (rivalry game, at home), the winner of Montana/Montana State probably will move ahead of them (probably Cal Poly as well if the Mustangs can win their game). Should they beat Weber (a team more than likely going to the playoffs) I think the argument could indeed be that the Poly game was just a hiccup and that ISU is a top four team in the conference.

mvemjsunpx
November 13th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Things do have a tendency to work themselves out. My thinking is that Idaho State's loss last week may just be a mere hiccup on the road in conference. However, should they lose to Weber at home this weekend, (rivalry game, at home), the winner of Montana/Montana State probably will move ahead of them (probably Cal Poly as well if the Mustangs can win their game). Should they beat Weber (a team more than likely going to the playoffs) I think the argument could indeed be that the Poly game was just a hiccup and that ISU is a top four team in the conference.

Yeah, ISU seems to be in a "win & you're in, lose & you're out" position, so comparing them to UM/MSU for playoff purposes is probably pointless.

Under normal circumstances, I would favor a team in ISU's position to win here. Weber has completely dominated the last few decades of this series, however, so I'm leaning toward the Wildcats right now.

MSUBobcat
November 13th, 2018, 08:40 PM

Definitely agree. That's why you update them weekly xthumbsupx And I have no issue with ISU being 4th. That's where I'd have them due to H2H. But I wouldn't have an issue if someone had them flipped. I would have an issue being ranked below the Griz. :D Our WIU has to better than the UNI win and we beat 2 teams they lost to.

Red & Black
November 14th, 2018, 07:52 AM
Let’s go Bengals. xthumbsupx

I Bleed Purple
November 14th, 2018, 10:53 AM

Nah.

MSUBobcat
November 14th, 2018, 06:13 PM

Scared of the Kitties sneaking in I see..... xlolx

Red & Black
November 15th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Scared of the Kitties sneaking in I see..... xlolx

Well, I wasn’t looking at it from that perspective. More along the lines of a Bengal win gives Eastern the auto-bid and potentially higher playoff seed come selection time should we prove victorious against PSU on Friday night. But I suppose it really depends on how they are projecting the seeding at this point in time.

I’d be fine with MSU getting in. Should they beat UM they may have done just enough to do that. However, an ISU win over Weebs would pose the question of whether the Cats/Griz winner gets in. Probably not, as that would be 5 teams in from the Big Sky. I guess stranger things have happened.

Red & Black
November 15th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Nah.

Not probable, but not totally outside the realm of possibility, either. They’re playing for a playoff spot against a traditional rival...at home. I’d give then about a 40% shot.