PDA

View Full Version : Week 11: FCS Playoff Armageddon Week

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2018, 04:36 PM
That's what today has been.

JSUSoutherner
November 10th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Yeah pretty much. I'm going to start working on a playoff breakdown when I get home from dinner. Based on what've seen on ESPN I'm going to have a lot of work to do.

What a mess.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Great day for Furman!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Incarnate Word 17
UCA 14

Halftime

I think Armageddon would have USA winning this, no?

dewey
November 10th, 2018, 04:57 PM
How many 6 win teams make the playoffs this year?

Dewey

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2018, 04:59 PM
It's so crazy an 8-3 Monmouth is getting in

nodak651
November 10th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Does north dakota actually have a chance now if we win next week?

JacksFan40
November 10th, 2018, 05:57 PM
You should have a chance, a slim one, but there’s a possibility depending on who else feels they don’t want to go to the playoffs.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 10th, 2018, 05:59 PM

Yes

AggieFinn
November 10th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Yup

WestCoastAggie
November 10th, 2018, 06:26 PM
Bubble teams will be cheering for NCCU and Bethune-Cookman next week.

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 06:26 PM
What's funny is that NDSU doesn't look as dominant as they usually are this year (even though we know they have the ingredients of a GOAT team), but they probably will be come playoff time because every team (except them) has *noticeable* flaws

Schism55
November 10th, 2018, 06:33 PM
It's so crazy an 8-3 Monmouth is getting in
Wrong

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 10th, 2018, 06:35 PM
What's funny is that NDSU doesn't look as dominant as they usually are this year (even though we know they have the ingredients of a GOAT team), but they probably will be come playoff time because every team (except them) has *noticeable* flaws

NDSU has won the Natty with 2 losses.

This year's team is not flashy but they just win.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 06:39 PM
Here is the 24 team playoff field, you heard it here first xthumbsupx

NDSU
EWU
KSU
UC Davis
Weber St.
SDSU
Elon
Delaware
Colgate
JMU
Stony Brook
Maine
Idaho St.
Towson
Wofford
JSU
Nicholls St.
ETSU
Furman
NC A&T
McNeese St.
Indiana St.
San Diego
Duquesne

Should a team fall then winner of Montana vs. Montana St. is next team in

katss07
November 10th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Here is the 24 team playoff field, you heard it here first xthumbsupx

NDSU
EWU
KSU
UC Davis
Weber St.
SDSU
Elon
Delaware
Colgate
JMU
Stony Brook
Maine
Idaho St.
Towson
Wofford
JSU
Nicholls St.
ETSU
Furman
NC A&T
McNeese St.
Indiana St.
San Diego
Duquesne

Should a team fall then winner of Montana vs. Montana St. is next team in
UIW is in before McNeese is. And if WIU beats INSt next weekend the Leathernecks are in, not the MSU/Montana winner.

Schism55
November 10th, 2018, 06:52 PM
FAMU lost so doesn't that mean NC A&T going to toil... er I mean celebration bowl?

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 06:55 PM
UIW is in before McNeese is. And if WIU beats INSt next weekend the Leathernecks are in, not the MSU/Montana winner.

You might be right, but then Indiana St. will be out

- - - Updated - - -

FAMU lost so doesn't that mean NC A&T going to toil... er I mean celebration bowl?

I wish, that game did not count in the MEAC standings today though, I know its stupiddddddd

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 10th, 2018, 06:55 PM

Doesn't FAMU have to lose another game?

WestCoastAggie
November 10th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Doesn't FAMU have to lose another game?

Yes.

Go Bethune-Cookman???

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Yes.

Go Bethune-Cookman???

Go cookies indeed!

Schism55
November 10th, 2018, 07:18 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I wish, that game did not count in the MEAC standings today though, I know its stupiddddddd
What in the actual ****?

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 07:19 PM
What in the actual ****?

I know its ridiculous

McNeese75
November 10th, 2018, 07:24 PM

Not sure why UIW would be in before McNeese if they go through the next two weeks undefeated? (although I would agree they probably should be)

JSUSoutherner
November 10th, 2018, 07:26 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, what? How?!

McNeese75
November 10th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Never mind, I assume your position is UIW will get the AQ and Nicholls will get in over McNeese with the Kansas win although losing head to head to McNeese.

No biggie, Cowboys are NOT a playoff caliber team this year with the crappy O

Schism55
November 10th, 2018, 07:30 PM
I know its ridiculous
How do you know this?

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 07:32 PM
How do you know this?

The NC A&T fan already told me on another thread, also check the standings they never updated to include today's game in the conference ledger lol

cx500d
November 10th, 2018, 07:43 PM
This has become a ****show

Schism55
November 10th, 2018, 07:57 PM
The NC A&T fan already told me on another thread, also check the standings they never updated to include today's game in the conference ledger lol
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20181107120348362481804

There are 10 teams in the MEAC, why the arbitrary 7 game conference schedule? This also the only time FAMU plays S Car St. this season? WTF is going on in the MEAC?

NDSUKurt
November 10th, 2018, 08:05 PM

There are 10 teams in the MEAC, why the arbitrary 7 game conference schedule? This also the only time FAMU plays S Car St. this season? WTF is going on in the MEAC?

The MEAC changed their conference schedule when Hampton left the conference. Actually, the MEAC was pissed about the short notice from Hampton so they decided to stick it to the Pirates. The MEAC did everything they could to make sure that there were no open weeks that Hampton could schedule games with MEAC teams, so they made a 7 game conference schedule but also scheduled games that would not count towards the conference standings.

WestCoastAggie
November 10th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Wait, what? How?!

Blame the Big South.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 08:19 PM

MEAC is loco

According to the NC A&T fan it has something to do with Hampton leaving them high and dry

- - - Updated - - -

The MEAC changed their conference schedule when Hampton left the conference. Actually, the MEAC was pissed about the short notice from Hampton so they decided to stick it to the Pirates. The MEAC did everything they could to make sure that there were no open weeks that Hampton could schedule games with MEAC teams, so they made a 7 game conference schedule but also scheduled games that would not count towards the conference standings.

Interesting

Schism55
November 10th, 2018, 08:22 PM
You can't make this **** up xrotatehx

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Idaho St. just got smoked by Cal Poly, they are probably out now too unless they beat Weber St. next week

dewey
November 10th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Idaho St. just got smoked by Cal Poly, they are probably out now too unless they beat Weber St. next week

Jeesh! Does anyone want to be in the playoffs? Can we reduce the number of teams this year?

Dewey

WestCoastAggie
November 10th, 2018, 08:32 PM
You can't make this **** up xrotatehx

Nope.

Schism55
November 10th, 2018, 08:55 PM
And holy **** did they succeed!
Need a good laugh? Take a look at Hamptons schedule
https://hamptonpirates.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=192

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 08:57 PM
And holy **** did they succeed!
Need a good laugh? Take a look at Hamptons schedule
https://hamptonpirates.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=192

Lol SUNY MARITIME xlmaox

TheKingpin28
November 10th, 2018, 08:58 PM
Crazy potential in the CAA:

As of right now the following teams are 7-3/6-3: Maine, Delaware, Towson, SBU, JMU, and Elon.

-If Elon beats Maine and Delaware and SBU lose they all finish 7-4/7-3 on the season
-Towson and JMU play each other so one will go 8-3 and the other will go 7-4.
-The CAA could theoretically not get a seeded team should only 1 finish 8-3 as; NDSU, SDSU (should they win against USeD), EWU, KSU (should they win against JSU), Colgate (should they win), SoCon auto, UC-Davis (should they win) and WSU (should they beat ISUo) would all have equal or better records and potentially less of a meat grinder schedule.

Note though: I highly doubt the committee seeds 3 Big Sky teams and no CAA teams, but should UC-Davis, EWU, and WSU win, they would all be 9-2 with losses coming to Stanford, Wazzu, Weber St, EWU, NAU, and Utah.

geaux_sioux
November 10th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Today was truly a thing of beauty. We play like **** and squeak out an ugly win against a bad team at home and literally everyone else loses.

katss07
November 10th, 2018, 09:14 PM
If UIW loses to UNA on Thursday night, a 6-5 SLC team will be in the playoffs. Absolutely insane.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 09:20 PM
If UIW loses to UNA on Thursday night, a 6-5 SLC team will be in the playoffs. Absolutely insane.

How so? Nichols St. is tied at 6-2 with them and beat them, and has 1 more game

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Why does UIW not have 1 more southland game?

JSUSoutherner
November 10th, 2018, 09:23 PM
How so? Nichols St. is tied at 6-2 with them and beat them, and has 1 more game

UIW would get the Auto.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 09:24 PM
UIW would get the Auto.

How? They would be 6-2, Nichols would be 7-2 with a win next week

JSUSoutherner
November 10th, 2018, 09:25 PM
How? They would be 6-2, Nichols would be 7-2 with a win next week
It's only if Nicholls and McNeese lose.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 09:27 PM
It's only if Nicholls and McNeese lose.

Yeah that's what I thought, cool

- - - Updated - - -

Why does UIW play 1 less conference game?

katss07
November 10th, 2018, 09:36 PM
UIW owns the tiebreaker over McNeese. UIW already owns a share of the title but need a Nicholls loss to secure the AQ. The Southland should be a two bid league if Nicholls and UIW both avoid defeat next weekend. McNeese is a weak bubble team. It may come down to UIW or McNeese and we know how that game went.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 09:36 PM
Mcneese going to OT with NW St., this is nuts, Mcneese will be eliminated if they lose this

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 09:37 PM
UIW owns the tiebreaker over McNeese. UIW already owns a share of the title but need a Nicholls loss to secure the AQ. The Southland should be a two bid league if Nicholls and UIW both avoid defeat next weekend. McNeese is a weak bubble team. It may come down to UIW or McNeese and we know how that game went.

But why does UIW play 1 less conference game?

katss07
November 10th, 2018, 09:41 PM
But why does UIW play 1 less conference game?
Every team can’t play a 9 game schedule, something keeps it from happening. UIW only plays 8 CG this year because of this schedule issue. Stupid, right?

BEAR
November 10th, 2018, 09:41 PM
SLC should only get ONE team in.

Nicholls.

iWU shouldn't get in because they played one less game. Good team but that is an unfair advantage to the other teams.

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2018, 09:42 PM
Not sure why UIW would be in before McNeese if they go through the next two weeks undefeated? (although I would agree they probably should be)
how bout some OT, What a game

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2018, 09:43 PM
Every team can’t play a 9 game schedule, something keeps it from happening. UIW only plays 8 CG this year because of this schedule issue. Stupid, right?
The numbers just don't work out. Easiest way to figure out how many conference games are played in each conference is multiple the number of teams from in the conference times the number of games each plays and divide by two. 11 Southland teams times 9 conference games is 99 which can't be divided by two so someone can only play 8 games (which takes the total to 98 or 49 conference games).

SLC should only get ONE team in.

Nicholls.

iWU shouldn't get in because they played one less game. Good team but that is an unfair advantage to the other teams.
I disagree. Then they'd just get hosed because of the SLC's asinine decision to play 9 conference games. If you go with that logic good luck getting any team to be the red-headed stepchild that only plays 8 conference game in a particular year (which has only been HBU and UIW to this point - pretty sure every Southland team would have to take a turn on the 8 game conference schedule if they adopted that kind of policy whereas I'm pretty sure I saw that HBU is taking another turn the next go round).

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 09:50 PM
NW St. just got hosed, that was a PI all day

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2018, 09:53 PM
Oh yeah... not sure how they came to the conclusion that the right thing to do was pick up the flag.

EDIT: Potential game winning FG by McNeese is blocked... karma I guess.

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Lol SUNY MARITIME xlmaox

not to be confused with the Merchant Marines, who lost to the Coast Guard Academy on ESPN3 today, oh man what talent was on display

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Bhahahahahha double OT!!!!!!!!

BEAR
November 10th, 2018, 09:57 PM

Cowboys seem to have that luck.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Mcneese St. has just been eliminated baby!!!

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 10:10 PM
Updated possible 24 team field:

NDSU
EWU
KSU
UC Davis
Weber St.
SDSU
Elon
Delaware
Colgate
JMU
Stony Brook
Maine
Towson
Wofford
JSU
Nicholls St.
ETSU
Furman
NC A&T
Indiana St.
San Diego
Duquesne
Winner of Montana vs. Montana St.
And still one more spot open

geaux_sioux
November 10th, 2018, 10:22 PM

NDSU
EWU
KSU
UC Davis
Weber St.
SDSU
Elon
Delaware
Colgate
JMU
Stony Brook
Maine
Towson
Wofford
JSU
Nicholls St.
ETSU
Furman
NC A&T
Indiana St.
San Diego
Duquesne
I can think of a team for that last spot.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 10:26 PM

xthumbsupx Go put a whooping on NAU!

geaux_sioux
November 10th, 2018, 10:32 PM
xthumbsupx Go put a whooping on NAU!
Define whooping...

JSUSoutherner
November 10th, 2018, 10:34 PM

Gonna hit the gym again if you get bounced for SEMO? :D

geaux_sioux
November 10th, 2018, 10:40 PM
That 2015 team was very different than the current UND team. Right now we’re trying to back in to the playoffs. The 2015 team was on a tear.

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 10:41 PM
NDSU has won the Natty with 2 losses.

This year's team is not flashy but they just win.Oh yeah I think NDSU is 4 TDs better than the next best competition this year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Lehigh Football Nation
November 11th, 2018, 07:39 AM

NDSU
EWU
KSU
UC Davis
Weber St.
SDSU
Elon
Delaware
Colgate
JMU
Stony Brook
Maine
Towson
Wofford
JSU
Nicholls St.
ETSU
Furman
NC A&T
Indiana St.
San Diego
Duquesne

"And still one more spot open" is spelled "Princeton", or if the Ivy League keeps their 41 year playoff ban in place, "Monmouth"

Lehigh Football Nation
November 11th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Colgate seems like they're one more T8 loss and a solid game vs. Army away from a possible seed?

ST_Lawson
November 11th, 2018, 08:36 AM

Could you imagine if WIU beats INSU and sneaks in as a 6-5, bouncing UND...again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mainejeff
November 11th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Colgate seems like they're one more T8 loss and a solid game vs. Army away from a possible seed?

Agreed. JMU, Maine, Towson & Stony Brook all in the mix for 7/8 seed....along with Colgate. I wonder if Colgate's history of not bidding for home playoff may relegate them to #9 in any scenario?

maine612
November 11th, 2018, 08:42 AM
Does the award of 1-8 have anything to do with bidding?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 11th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Could you imagine if WIU beats INSU and sneaks in as a 6-5, bouncing UND...again?

The bad thing for UND is that they haven't beat anyone. Sammy? Montana?

Now if the Griz beat MSU then that will be a nice feather in their cap with how they crushed the Griz.

Next Sunday will be interesting.

** I'm still shaking my head after watching WIU's offensive effort yesterday....xsmhxxdontknowx

geaux_sioux
November 11th, 2018, 08:53 AM

Again, very different team than 2015. Right now most of our fans aren’t sure we even want to make the field because we have been disgusted with the last two games. In 2015 we were rolling and looked like a legit playoff team. Not so much right now.

ST_Lawson
November 11th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Again, very different team than 2015. Right now most of our fans aren’t sure we even want to make the field because we have been disgusted with the last two games. In 2015 we were rolling and looked like a legit playoff team. Not so much right now.

I completely understand the "disgusted" feeling considering how we played most of our last two games.

grizband
November 11th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Does the award of 1-8 have anything to do with bidding?

612No, 1-8 are seeded based on team results. Theoretically, no teams are admitted based on money; finances only factor into non- seeded game hosting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

geaux_sioux
November 11th, 2018, 12:27 PM
I completely understand the "disgusted" feeling considering how we played most of our last two games.

The number of teams in the running for playoff spots that straight up don’t deserve it is ridiculous. It should make for an interesting selection show and an entertaining first round.

ST_Lawson
November 11th, 2018, 01:15 PM
The number of teams in the running for playoff spots that straight up don’t deserve it is ridiculous. It should make for an interesting selection show and an entertaining first round.

It's rare that I'll say this because I generally like the expanded playoffs, but if they wanted to just go back to 8 this year, that'd be fine. We can argue about 7-10ish, but there's really 1 at the top, a handful of decent teams, then a bunch of "meh". We can discuss who might make it in at 7-4 or maybe 6-5, but there isn't really any team in that range that has looked good more often than not. Very few good wins, lots of questionable losses. Could be some good games if teams decide to play well...I think of WIU played like they did against UNI, they could beat anyone who isn't seeded...but it doesn't look like we're going to have many upsets of seeded teams in the second round this year.

grizband
November 11th, 2018, 01:31 PM
It's rare that I'll say this because I generally like the expanded playoffs, but if they wanted to just go back to 8 this year, that'd be fine. We can argue about 7-10ish, but there's really 1 at the top, a handful of decent teams, then a bunch of "meh". We can discuss who might make it in at 7-4 or maybe 6-5, but there isn't really any team in that range that has looked good more often than not. Very few good wins, lots of questionable losses. Could be some good games if teams decide to play well...I think of WIU played like they did against UNI, they could beat anyone who isn't seeded...but it doesn't look like we're going to have many upsets of seeded teams in the second round this year.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHasn't been only 8 in a long time haha

ST_Lawson
November 11th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Hasn't been only 8 in a long time haha

I'm not that old, you shut up.

grizband
November 11th, 2018, 01:40 PM
I'm not that old, you shut up.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHaha, it was 16 teams going back quite a bit (1986 to be exact)

ST_Lawson
November 11th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Haha, it was 16 teams going back quite a bit (1986 to be exact)

Oh, hmmm...ok. guess I never actually saw 8-team playoffs then. I was around, but wasn't paying any attention to college football back then.

kalm
November 11th, 2018, 02:03 PM

There might be 5 or 6 CAA unseeded teams that disagree. I also think Nicholls could pick off a seeded team.

grizband
November 11th, 2018, 02:03 PM
Oh, hmmm...ok. guess I never actually saw 8-team playoffs then. I was around, but wasn't paying any attention to college football back then.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt was 16 for almost 30 years lol. Only thing I knew until 2010.

ElCid
November 11th, 2018, 02:32 PM

I remember 12 teams. I think that was the year the Southern Conf dropped from 1A to 1AA along with another conf or two.

cx500d
November 11th, 2018, 04:53 PM
Today was truly a thing of beauty. We play like **** and squeak out an ugly win against a bad team at home and literally everyone else loses.

Your squeaker against Sammy not looking so good now

cx500d
November 11th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Agreed. JMU, Maine, Towson & Stony Brook all in the mix for 7/8 seed....along with Colgate. I wonder if Colgate's history of not bidding for home playoff may relegate them to #9 in any scenario?

If Colgate remains unbeaten they deserve a seed. I have them higher than 8 personally...

kalm
November 11th, 2018, 06:36 PM
If Colgate remains unbeaten they deserve a seed. I have them higher than 8 personally...

Yep.

geaux_sioux
November 11th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Your squeaker against Sammy not looking so good now

It wasn’t a loss. That’s all that matters.