PDA

View Full Version : UNI to play Iowa State for next 3 years

igo4uni
July 29th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Iowa State will host UNI in Ames in 2006, 2007, and 2008. This is a good opportunity for UNI to pick up 3 easy wins!! :) :)

"I think any time we get to play Iowa or Iowa State as a non-conference football game is a bonus to the University of Northern Iowa," Panther head coach Mark Farley said Wednesday. "I think those games are good for our program. I know they're good financially, but they're also good for our program."

Waterloo Courier (http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2005/07/29/sports/local/doc42e8f59008bac305898085.txt)

peace

igo4uni

TexasTerror
July 29th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Three straight years? That's a bit too much. As an I-A school or even if I was an I-AA school, I would not want to play a non-conference school three years in a row, if it were Ohio State, USC or even for SHSU purposes, Texas or Houston. Perhaps every other year, but never been a big fan of playing a team each year for a three year span.

P2TheB
July 29th, 2005, 09:23 AM
$300,000 each year, minimal travel expenses (1 hour and 20 minute bus trip), and being able to battle it up with a Big 12 in-state school (in which there has been some recent success against)...and I like it. It also helps the alumni relations in nearby Des Moines. Plus, it allows our fans to see another football game in-state. That means next year, UNI will play at Drake and at Iowa State. We play home to SDSU also, so that allows UNI fans to see most, if not all non-conference games.

colgate13
July 29th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Three straight years? That's a bit too much. As an I-A school or even if I was an I-AA school, I would not want to play a non-conference school three years in a row, if it were Ohio State, USC or even for SHSU purposes, Texas or Houston. Perhaps every other year, but never been a big fan of playing a team each year for a three year span.

We line up against UMass OOC for 4 straight years.

NorthDakotaBison
July 29th, 2005, 10:28 AM

I wonder if this isn't due to Army dropping its return visit to Ames next year.

I think it's a great deal for both schools, though doing it every year might be a little much.

putter
July 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Great development for UNI. I would think anytime that you can get an in-state I-A school it is good for the program, especially if you can pull out a couple of wins!!

P2TheB
July 29th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Eastern Michigan is filling in for Army. This series between UNI/ISU is just a series to fulfill their I-AA game each year. I would expect a game with Iowa, Missouri, or Minnesota to show up in the 2009, 2010, and 2011 years.

TexasTerror
July 29th, 2005, 11:00 AM
I think it's a great deal for both schools, though doing it every year might be a little much.

Exactly what I meant. Great for both schools, UNI and Iowa State, alike. However, I don't think playing every year against the same school OOC is that beneficial after awhile. I mean, having SHSU play Montana four times over a 10 year period of regular seasons would be great. Playing them eight times over 10 is too much. There's a good deal of I-A and I-AA schools available to go around.

Not a big fan of it on the HS level either, when you play the same school out of district for years (unless there's a natural rivalry that was in place before like realignment).

Cap'n Cat
July 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Exactly what I meant. Great for both schools, UNI and Iowa State, alike. However, I don't think playing every year against the same school OOC is that beneficial after awhile. I mean, having SHSU play Montana four times over a 10 year period of regular seasons would be great. Playing them eight times over 10 is too much. There's a good deal of I-A and I-AA schools available to go around.

Not a big fan of it on the HS level either, when you play the same school out of district for years (unless there's a natural rivalry that was in place before like realignment).

TT,
I understand your thinking, but this is not just a good thing from an off-the-field perspective but, as former player, it's a damned thrill to play this "big" school who perhaps passed you up in recruiting. If the players and coaches and fans are all looking forward to it, why can't you do it every three years? Now, certainly, if a school had the prospect of playing Miami or Florida Stae three years in a row, that would definitely be a downer.

We haven't beat them in a number of years, but UNI always go into these games with ISU thinking they can win. We never think about it being an ass whoopin'. The final score in the last two games has not indicated good games, but UNI always holds tough even if they're not victorious.

Just thinking out loud.

:) :) :)

P2TheB
July 29th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Last year it was 23-0 and the year before it was 17-10 (star receiver dropped the ball on 4th and long with under a minute---would have been a first down).