PDA

View Full Version : SLC Title Reasonings

BEAR
November 8th, 2018, 10:05 AM
The clarification details Incarnate Word’s possible finish, and perhaps its opportunity to clinch at least a share of the Southland championship and its NCAA AQ, despite only playing eight conference games instead of nine like other teams do.

In the Southland’s scheduling format, 10 of its 11 football teams play a nine-game schedule, while one team must play eight games.

If Incarnate Word is the only remaining two-loss team at the end of the regular season, it shall be Conference champion and the recipient of the NCAA automatic berth.

https://southland.org/news/2018/11/6/administration-southland-conference-clarifies-football-champion-determination.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2AKuEfg9sXRg1liszDwo Htbo9uu0MDVssNDRTfc5QK5bgiWknL6bQvEy0

So IWU plays 8 conference games.

IWU plays a post season game vs. Iowa State on Dec. 1 while the FCS playoffs begin Nov. 24th.

Conflict much SLC?

What would have happened if SFA would have had a good year and one of their conference games were cancelled due to rain? Hmmm...xlolx

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Thanks BEAR, I had just referenced this in the Bracketology thread, but this discussion may need a thread all its own. xeyebrowxxsmiley_wix

TheRevSFA
November 8th, 2018, 10:16 AM
The clarification details Incarnate Word’s possible finish, and perhaps its opportunity to clinch at least a share of the Southland championship and its NCAA AQ, despite only playing eight conference games instead of nine like other teams do.

In the Southland’s scheduling format, 10 of its 11 football teams play a nine-game schedule, while one team must play eight games.

If Incarnate Word is the only remaining two-loss team at the end of the regular season, it shall be Conference champion and the recipient of the NCAA automatic berth.

https://southland.org/news/2018/11/6/administration-southland-conference-clarifies-football-champion-determination.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2AKuEfg9sXRg1liszDwo Htbo9uu0MDVssNDRTfc5QK5bgiWknL6bQvEy0

So IWU plays 8 conference games.

IWU plays a post season game vs. Iowa State on Dec. 1 while the FCS playoffs begin Nov. 24th.

Conflict much SLC?

What would have happened if SFA would have had a good year and one of their conference games were cancelled due to rain? Hmmm...xlolx

I do believe it was written in the UIW/ISU contract that the game would be cancelled if UIW makes the post season.

BEAR
November 8th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Oh sorry. Didn't see that yet. xembarrassedx

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Yeah, but I don't think a lot of us actually knew how that would play out when it came down to both the auto and at large bids. This helps clarify some.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll put this quick visual here as well:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29439&stc=1

- - - Updated - - -

I'll put this quick visual here as well:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29439&stc=1

BEAR
November 8th, 2018, 10:22 AM
The SLC is up a creek without a paddle if 7 teams go 5-3 this week and the games of the last week are cancelled for whatever reason. xlolx 7 teams with the title. Talk about handing out trophies just for playing. xlolx

Schism55
November 8th, 2018, 10:25 AM
A probable 5-4 conference champion, what a disgrace xeyebrowx

Catatonic
November 8th, 2018, 10:39 AM

A 5-4 team in the MVC would be up for one of the eight seeds in the playoffs.

TheKingpin28
November 8th, 2018, 10:44 AM
A 5-4 team in the MVC would be up for one of the eight seeds in the playoffs.Can't happen. Valley plays an 8 game schedule. xcoffeex

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 10:55 AM
The whole thing es muy loco......

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Yet another problem that the 9 game conference schedule in the SLC causes. This wouldn't have been a problem with an 8 game conference schedule.

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2018, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure an 8 game slate would solve anything. The SLC would still find a way to **** up a wet dream.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2018, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure an 8 game slate would solve anything. The SLC would still find a way to **** up a wet dream.
Haha, probably. But at least with an 8 game schedule everyone could play the same amount of conference games.

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 11:12 AM
What's the history of the 9 game conference schedule in the SLC?

TheRevSFA
November 8th, 2018, 11:17 AM
What's the history of the 9 game conference schedule in the SLC?

It's because of ACU, UIW, and HBU.

Thanks.

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 11:19 AM

Thanks.

I always knew I was a trouble maker. xdrunkyx

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2018, 11:37 AM

Thanks.

Exactly!

TheRevSFA
November 8th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I always knew I was a trouble maker. xdrunkyx

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have ACU, however, adding the schools then added the extra game..

If the conference keeps eyeballing Tarleton and Commerce...someone is gonna have to leave. Looking at you HBU.

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Either schools leave or the SLC ends up being a large conference with separate divisions? Not taking sides at this point.

Daytripper
November 8th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Nobody's leaving. I am tentatively for having a few more teams and two divisions.

Bear84
November 8th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Nobody's leaving. I am tentatively for having a few more teams and two divisions.

Two divisions without a championship game would result in an even bigger cluster ****.

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Yeah, if you ever get to the point where you think the SLC can't be a bigger cluster**** than it already is, the conference is EAGER to have you hold it's beer while it ups its game...

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 01:36 PM
I tend to lean in the direction of letting in proven programs to deepen the conference and then have two SLC divisions. In the end I think it would fuel better competition and improve the auto/at-large process come play-off time. The questions would then be centered around admitting new schools or have current members start a football program?

***Additional admission that I know I state this as only a recent return to the SLC, but we were a founding member and have been around a while.***

BEAR
November 8th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Wonder if any other conferences would like a member or two from the Southland conference........ it just doesn't seem to get anything right. :(

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Wonder if any other conferences would like a member or two from the Southland conference........ it just doesn't seem to get anything right. :(

I may be optimistic, but I think there is potential.

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2018, 01:41 PM
You're new around here, aren't you?

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 01:47 PM

LOL, for the most part yes, maybe my optimism will be chipped away xdrunkyx

BEAR
November 8th, 2018, 01:51 PM

xlolx

I should have known from our first year in this conference when we were told a week before possibly winning the conference that we were good to go to claim the title. Then told the week OF the game that we would be ineligible to win it because the conference would have to give up the auto in the playoffs if we were awarded the conference championship as an ineligible playoff team and no matter what it would be awarded to the team we hung 60+ points on and beat like a red headed step child.

Why didn't I see the early warning signs! xrolleyesx

Hey ACU fans...get ready for a rollercoaster of stupidity with this conference. xcoffeex It never ends.

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 02:02 PM
OUch.....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29442&stc=1

BEAR
November 8th, 2018, 02:05 PM
xlolx I still get a laugh out of this when I see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur7gK00bZKs

JayJ79
November 8th, 2018, 02:12 PM
so why is it that all teams in this conference don't play 9 conference games?

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=BEAR;2706074]xlolx I still get a laugh out of this when I see it:

What year was that BEAR?

BEAR
November 8th, 2018, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=BEAR;2706074]xlolx I still get a laugh out of this when I see it:

What year was that BEAR?

I believe that was 2007. The next year we had the best conference record but didn't get the title due to the reasons stated above. I'm getting older. These years are running together. xlolx

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 02:54 PM
I am right there with you BEAR. I wondered by looking at the video. 2007 was the same year we went down and played them.

dgtw
November 8th, 2018, 03:34 PM
so why is it that all teams in this conference don't play 9 conference games?

Because it is mathematically impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayJ79
November 8th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Because it is mathematically impossible.
everyone playing 9 conference games in the same 9 weeks, sure.
But it is possible for everyone to play 9 conference games in 10 weeks.

Everyone should play the same amount of conference games (barring weather cancellations or other events beyond control).
And if you want everyone to play 9 games, then at least 2 teams will have to play each other during what is typically the "non-conference" portion of the season (and then either have a bye week or play a non-conference game during the typical conference portion of the season)

McNeese72
November 8th, 2018, 04:31 PM

Everyone should play the same amount of conference games (barring weather cancellations or other events beyond control).
And if you want everyone to play 9 games, then at least 2 teams will have to play each other during what is typically the "non-conference" portion of the season (and then either have a bye week or play a non-conference game during the typical conference portion of the season)

There are 11 teams. Show me a schedule where all 11 can play 9 conference games without one of them having to play 10 games.

Doc

JSUSoutherner
November 8th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Still better than Lehigh

Catatonic
November 8th, 2018, 04:48 PM
There are 11 teams. Show me a schedule where all 11 can play 9 conference games without one of them having to play 10 games.

Doc

The SLC schedule is seriously messed up both by the 9 game schedule and by teams being able to designate a seemingly indefinite number of traditional rivals who never rotate.

JayJ79
November 8th, 2018, 05:29 PM

Doc

Math is hard. haha.
in that case, playing 9 conference games is dumb, since it is impossible to have every team play that number.

JSUBison
November 8th, 2018, 07:35 PM
I tend to lean in the direction of letting in proven programs to deepen the conference and then have two SLC divisions. In the end I think it would fuel better competition and improve the auto/at-large process come play-off time. The questions would then be centered around admitting new schools or have current members start a football program?

***Additional admission that I know I state this as only a recent return to the SLC, but we were a founding member and have been around a while.***

Between the Big Sky and Southland, you could have 3 conferences with 8 teams each. This also allows an easier time for transitioning D2's to find a home, or an existing D1 that's thinking about starting football. 7 conference games, with a scheduling alliance among the three to ensure OOC games. Make the new conference a football only conference. I think there is some NCAA rule about autobids and 6 teams needing to play together x amount of years, but an exception can be made in this case with the newly created conference with 5 teams having been together. The NCAA has done waivers like this before I think.

Big Sky

Montana
Montana State
EWU
Portland State
Idaho
Idaho State
Weber State
SUU

Southland

Nicholls
McNeese
SHSU
SFA
SELA
Northwestern State
Central Arkansas
Lamar

The other conference

Northern Colorado
Davis
Poly
Northern Arizona
Sac State
UIW
HBU
ACU

Easier said than done of course.

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2018, 07:36 PM
"The Other Conference"....I like that!

JayJ79
November 8th, 2018, 09:10 PM
Great West Conference 2.0?

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 09:42 PM
That would be some LONG travelling..........

grizband
November 9th, 2018, 12:05 AM
Between the Big Sky and Southland, you could have 3 conferences with 8 teams each. This also allows an easier time for transitioning D2's to find a home, or an existing D1 that's thinking about starting football. 7 conference games, with a scheduling alliance among the three to ensure OOC games. Make the new conference a football only conference. I think there is some NCAA rule about autobids and 6 teams needing to play together x amount of years, but an exception can be made in this case with the newly created conference with 5 teams having been together. The NCAA has done waivers like this before I think.

Big Sky

Montana
Montana State
EWU
Portland State
Idaho
Idaho State
Weber State
SUU

Southland

Nicholls
McNeese
SHSU
SFA
SELA
Northwestern State
Central Arkansas
Lamar

The other conference

Northern Colorado
Davis
Poly
Northern Arizona
Sac State
UIW
HBU
ACU

Trade Northern Arizona and Southern Utah in your conference alignment, and this looks pretty good. Northern Arizona is an original Big Sky member, so I can't imagine we would eliminate them to keep Southern Utah.

Catbooster
November 9th, 2018, 12:09 AM

The opponent of the team that just got their 9th game is now playing their 10th.

Daytripper
November 9th, 2018, 05:51 AM

Big Sky

Montana
Montana State
EWU
Portland State
Idaho
Idaho State
Weber State
SUU

Southland

Nicholls
McNeese
SHSU
SFA
SELA
Northwestern State
Central Arkansas
Lamar

The other conference

Northern Colorado
Davis
Poly
Northern Arizona
Sac State
UIW
HBU
ACU

Geographically, HBU belongs in the Southland. For travel purposes only, maybe put Central Arkansas in the Big Sky and Portland State in the Other Conference..

Catatonic
November 9th, 2018, 07:16 AM
Just say no. Too much travel in the “other” conference.

TheRevSFA
November 9th, 2018, 08:10 AM
My crack at this

Big Sky

Montana
Montana State
EWU
Portland State
Idaho
Idaho State

Southland

Nicholls
McNeese
SHSU
SFA
SELA
Northwestern State
Central Arkansas

New Conference
Lamar
HBU
UIW
ACU
Tarleton (looking to move up)
A&M Commerce (looking to move up)
A&M Corpus/A&I Kingsville consolidated sports (looking to move up)

The other conference

Weber State
SUU
Northern Colorado
Davis
Poly
Northern Arizona
Sac State

Outsider1
November 9th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Rev, that would be more reasonable from a geographical standpoint but leave a lot of OOC games or have us playing each other more than once; never was a fan of that. What would it do to the playoff bracket? Are more micro-conferences the answer?

TheRevSFA
November 9th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Rev, that would be more reasonable from a geographical standpoint but leave a lot of OOC games or have us playing each other more than once; never was a fan of that. What would it do to the playoff bracket? Are more micro-conferences the answer?

OOC games would definitely stop the questions of "is the conference strong enough"

I imagine the SLC and renewed Lone Star (couldn't think of a name) could have a yearly series.

It would add 2 AQs to the bracket and remove 2 At Larges.

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2018, 08:35 AM
I put this together last offseason but there's currently 96 teams in the playoff eligible/participating conferences. Would work perfectly for six 16 team super-conferences with two 8 team divisions in each:

The West
Pacific Division
Cal Poly
Northern Arizona
Portland St
Sacramento St
San Diego
Southern Utah
UC Davis
Weber St

Mountain Division
Abilene Christian
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho St
Incarnate Word
Montana
Montana St
Northern Colorado

The Midwest
Missouri River Division
Drake
Missouri St
North Dakota
North Dakota St
Northern Iowa
South Dakota
South Dakota St
Southeast Missouri St

Mississippi River Division
Butler
Dayton
Eastern Illinois
Illinois St
Indiana St
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Valparaiso

The Southwest
The Gulf Division
Houston Baptist
Lamar
McNeese
Nicholls
Northwestern St
Sam Houston St
Southeastern Louisiana
Stephen F Austin

The Plains Division
Austin Peay
Central Arkansas
Chattanooga
Jacksonville St
Murray St
North Alabama
Samford
UT Martin

The Southeast
The Peach/Palmetto Division
Charleston Southern
Furman
Kennesaw St
Jacksonville
Mercer
Stetson
The Citadel
Wofford

The Appalachian Division
Campbell
Davidson
East Tennessee St
Elon
Gardner-Webb
Tennessee Tech
Tennessse St
Western Carolina

The Mid-Atlantic
The Virginia Division
Eastern Kentucky
Georgetown
Hampton
James Madison
Morehead St
Richmond
VMI
William & Mary

The Pennsylvania Division
Bucknell
Delaware
Duquesene
Robert Morris
St Francis
Towson
Villanova
Youngstown St

The Northeast
The New York Division
Colgate
Fordham
Lafayette
Lehigh
Marist
Monmouth
Stony Brook
Wagner

The New England Division
Albany
Central Connecticut
Bryant
Holy Cross
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Sacred Heart

12 autobids for each division winner and 12 at-larges. It's so simple! Now all the FCS schools in all of these existing conferences just need to make me their realignment overlord. Of course now there's Merrimack and LIU who are joining the NEC which already messes up the balance... oh well... it was a fun exercise regardless.

Outsider1
November 9th, 2018, 08:41 AM
It's a nice breakdown on paper Professor, but still creates too many problems for travelling. You take us away from schools that are just a couple of hours away and have us travelling thousands of miles for conference games. It would wreak havoc on the players and the pocketbooks, even if donors are willing to fork out the money for the flights. The basic chart breakdown works but I would have to move some of the schools around.

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2018, 08:45 AM
It's a nice breakdown on paper Professor, but still creates too many problems for travelling. You take us away from schools that are just a couple of hours away and have us travelling thousands of miles for conference games. It would wreak havoc on the players and the pocketbooks, even if donors are willing to fork out the money for the flights. The basic chart breakdown works but I would have to move some of the schools around.
Yeah, there's no way to do it perfectly while maintaining 8 teams in each conference/division.... especially once you get west of the Mississippi. With those 14 teams in the Big Sky plus San Diego there's no one else all that close once you get to the Rockies and further west.

Outsider1
November 9th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Yeah, there's no way to do it perfectly while maintaining 8 teams in each conference/division.... especially once you get west of the Mississippi. With those 14 teams in the Big Sky plus San Diego there's no one else all that close once you get to the Rockies and further west.Understand, I kinda like the concept.

Sent from my BLU_S1 using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Understand, I kinda like the concept.

Here's the visual aid I used to play around with it:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4896/45072561314_05f33a2ba5_c.jpg

It's kind of interesting to move things around to preserve traditional rivalries and such and see the ripple effect it has.

Daytripper
November 9th, 2018, 09:11 AM

Oh, come on! You guys have all of that private school money. You can afford it. xsmiley_wix

Outsider1
November 9th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Oh, come on! You guys have all of that private school money. You can afford it. xsmiley_wixHey, it ain't my money for sure. If they wanna spend it, lol ...

Catatonic
November 9th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Yeah, there's no way to do it perfectly while maintaining 8 teams in each conference/division.... especially once you get west of the Mississippi. With those 14 teams in the Big Sky plus San Diego there's no one else all that close once you get to the Rockies and further west.

There is something just wrong about placing Abilene Christian in the Mountain Division. If you ever visit Abilene you will know why.....We get our mountain fix by traveling to Colorado or New Mexico. Here there is just lots of sky, no mountains. xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
November 9th, 2018, 09:44 AM
I like the map, but put Northern Colorado into the MVC, Put Missouri State into the Southland, put SEMO back in the OVC... Create two divisions for all of them, and that really reduces travel costs for everybody..

BEAR
November 9th, 2018, 10:53 AM
How about we move all the Division II schools up in Arkansas so it removes the strange travel our conference has to go through and brings the number back down.

UCA
Arkansas Tech
UA- Fort Smith
UA- Monticello
Harding Bisons
Henderson State
Ouachita University
Southern Arkansas

That's eight. Plus it wil renew a bunch of old Arkansas Intercollegiate Conference rivalries. xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
November 9th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Conference of the Ozarks! I like it!

There's something fitting about an tightknit, close, inbred conference being centered in Arkansas! ; )

Outsider1
November 9th, 2018, 11:35 AM
LOL, did undergrad at Harding. It would make sense xthumbsupx

BEAR
November 9th, 2018, 12:12 PM

There's something fitting about an tightknit, close, inbred conference being centered in Arkansas! ; )

Look at a Louie native talking about inbreds...xlolxxlolx

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OGC.05bff7e5066c484b017d1a6816832d1e&pid=1.7&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fTqznv 1w1DNKkE%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=QBe%2fZlIu%2f%2fn9Ri88Uae0%2bg

https://media.giphy.com/media/xSM46ernAUN3y/giphy.gif

BEAR
November 9th, 2018, 12:13 PM

Except most of those aren't in the Ozarks. xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
November 9th, 2018, 12:26 PM
I'm in Louisiana. Everything north of I-20 looks like the Ozarks...

FYI, I'm a south Texas Native, which is just as flat...

katss07
November 9th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Love your idea Professor! Simple, spread out and easy. Would love to see the FCS adopt this. Seems like you put some time into this which is really cool. Nice work.

BEAR
November 9th, 2018, 12:53 PM
I'm in Louisiana. Everything north of I-20 looks like the Ozarks...

FYI, I'm a south Texas Native, which is just as flat...

Didn't know that. Hey everything in south and east part of Arkansas is FLAT. It isn't until you hit above the I-40 going west that you see hills. xlolx I do gotta wonder if those SAU muleriders copied your team's logo and adjusted it for their own purposes...xeyebrowx

Outsider1
November 9th, 2018, 12:58 PM
There is something just wrong about placing Abilene Christian in the Mountain Division. If you ever visit Abilene you will know why.....We get our mountain fix by traveling to Colorado or New Mexico. Here there is just lots of sky, no mountains. xlolx

Hey now, we can pass for the "mountain" division....... xdrunkyx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29454&stc=1

FormerPokeCenter
November 9th, 2018, 01:39 PM
I get asked about the MuleRider thing all the time during football season...

Somebody will walk by, see the M and the bucking horse and yell "Geaux Mule Riders!"

The color scheme and the logos are pretty confusing.

Can't blame South Arkansas for their sartorial choices!

McNeese72
November 9th, 2018, 02:59 PM
I get asked about the MuleRider thing all the time during football season...

Somebody will walk by, see the M and the bucking horse and yell "Geaux Mule Riders!"

The color scheme and the logos are pretty confusing.

Can't blame South Arkansas for their sartorial choices!

I always wondered how the State of Wyoming let them get away with it because the logo is bucking with its hind legs up.

Doc

JayJ79
November 9th, 2018, 02:59 PM
The power discrepancy between the two midwest divisions is hilarious.
and I'm sure Drake would really be competitive with NDSU.

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2018, 09:25 PM
I'm trying to figure out this wacky Southland autbobid situation (assuming McNeese holds on tonight).

As I understand it Incarnate Word is technically treated like they're 7-2 already meaning that if Nicholls and McNeese both win next week that'll make it a three way tie. All 3 are 1-1 against each other. Their common opponents are ACU, Lamar, SELA, and SFA and they're each 3-1 against those teams. The "other loss" for Nicholls is ACU, for McNeese it's SELA, and for UIW it's Lamar.

I don't know the Southland tie breaker but I'd assume it would come down to whoever's "other loss" finishes highest in the conference would be knocked out of the 3 way tie breaker and then they'd go down to the 2 way tie breaker (which head-to-head would then settle). As of right now ACU and Lamar are tied for 4th at 5-3 in conference and Nicholls and UIW split with those teams while McNeese swept them so that would mean as of right now McNeese holds the tie breaker for the autobid as of right now I believe.

Of course this is kind of inconsequential since it all depends on where these teams are at after next week but SELA plays Nicholls so if they win that one UIW is the autobid (regardless whether McNeese wins or not since UIW holds the head-to-head tie breaker against McNeese). Lamar plays McNeese so if McNeese wins that (which they would need to do to essentially tie UIW) they knock Lamar down in the conference standings which actually helps UIW since Lamar is their "other loss". ACU technically has the easiest final game of those "other loss" teams playing UCA so if they win and McNeese beats Lamar that would mean that Nicholls "other loss" (ACU) is all alone in 4th so that would knock Nicholls out of the 3 way tie breaker which would once again give UIW the autobid due to head-to-head with McNeese.

Ok, now that I've sufficiently confused everyone talking through my thought process here are the scenarios that I see:

Nicholls loses to SELA and McNeese loses to Lamar: UIW is the autobid
Nicholls beats SELA, McNeese beats Lamar, and ACU beats UCA: UIW is the autobid
Nicholls beats SELA, McNeese beats Lamar, and UCA beats ACU: McNeese is the autobid
Nicholls loses to SELA and McNeese beats Lamar: UIW is the autobid
Nicholls beats SLEA and McNeese loses to Lamar: Nicholls is the autobid

Does that look right or have I had too many beers today?

EDIT: So while I was trying to figure all this **** out McNeese decided they might want to make the whole discussion moot. If NWSU beats McNeese then it gets pretty simple I believe. Nicholls beats SELA next week and they're the autobid. If not UIW is the autobid.

JSUSoutherner
November 10th, 2018, 09:31 PM
I'm trying to figure out this wacky Southland autbobid situation (assuming McNeese holds on tonight).

As I understand it Incarnate Word is technically treated like they're 7-2 already meaning that if Nicholls and McNeese both win next week that'll make it a three way tie. All 3 are 1-1 against each other. Their common opponents are ACU, Lamar, SELA, and SFA and they're each 3-1 against those teams. The "other loss" for Nicholls is ACU, for McNeese it's SELA, and for UIW it's Lamar.

I don't know the Southland tie breaker but I'd assume it would come down to whoever's "other loss" finishes highest in the conference would be knocked out of the 3 way tie breaker and then they'd go down to the 2 way tie breaker (which head-to-head would then settle). As of right now ACU and Lamar are tied for 4th at 5-3 in conference and Nicholls and UIW split with those teams while McNeese swept them so that would mean as of right now McNeese holds the tie breaker for the autobid as of right now I believe.

Of course this is kind of inconsequential since it all depends on where these teams are at after next week but SELA plays Nicholls so if they win that one UIW is the autobid (regardless whether McNeese wins or not since UIW holds the head-to-head tie breaker against McNeese). Lamar plays McNeese so if McNeese wins that (which they would need to do to essentially tie UIW) they knock Lamar down in the conference standings which actually helps UIW since Lamar is their "other loss". ACU technically has the easiest final game of those "other loss" teams playing UCA so if they win and McNeese beats Lamar that would mean that Nicholls "other loss" (ACU) is all alone in 4th so that would knock Nicholls out of the 3 way tie breaker which would once again give UIW the autobid due to head-to-head with McNeese.

Ok, now that I've sufficiently confused everyone talking through my thought process here are the scenarios that I see:

Nicholls loses to SELA and McNeese loses to Lamar: UIW is the autobid
Nicholls beats SELA, McNeese beats Lamar, and ACU beats UCA: UIW is the autobid
Nicholls beats SELA, McNeese beats Lamar, and UCA beats ACU: McNeese is the autobid
Nicholls loses to SELA and McNeese beats Lamar: UIW is the autobid
Nicholls beats SLEA and McNeese loses to Lamar: Nicholls is the autobid

Does that look right or have I had too many beers today?
My understanding is that McNeese controls their destiny and a win over Lamar clinches, should McNeese lose, Nicholls clinches with a win. Should McNeese and Nicholls both lose UIW gets the auto.

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2018, 09:36 PM
My understanding is that McNeese controls their destiny and a win over Lamar clinches, should McNeese lose, Nicholls clinches with a win. Should McNeese and Nicholls both lose UIW gets the auto.
Hmmm, I must be misunderstanding the Southland tie breaker process then. Regardless, Northwestern St just tied it against McNeese with 27 seconds left in regulation so probably doesn't make much sense to addle my brain further until that game is decided because I'm pretty certain it gets real simple if McNeese loses tonight.

BEAR
November 10th, 2018, 09:53 PM
How much is McNeese paying these officials? BS. That was pass interference. That's two this year I can think of. xcoffeex

Outsider1
November 10th, 2018, 09:56 PM
Well, it's now 31-31 in OT unless that score has gone bye bye on me like the earlier score did....

McNeese75
November 10th, 2018, 09:57 PM
How much is McNeese paying these officials? BS. That was pass interference. That's two this year I can think of. xcoffeex

Obviously not enough because they did not call the offensive push off on the last Demon TD.

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2018, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty sure whoever you heard that from was running under the assumption that UIW gets a half-game offset due to playing one less conference game (if they finish 6-2 while Nicholls or McNeese finishes with 7-2 they'd be a half game behind in the standings). However, the article in the OP makes it clear that UIW is treated like they're 7-2 in conference for tie breaker purposes even though they'd only actually be 6-2: https://southland.org/news/2018/11/6/administration-southland-conference-clarifies-football-champion-determination.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2AKuEfg9sXRg1liszDwo Htbo9uu0MDVssNDRTfc5QK5bgiWknL6bQvEy0

UIW’s final placement, with two or three losses, will be identical to other teams with the same number of losses, even though the other teams will have an additional win that reflects their nine-game schedule.

EDIT: Well with McNeese's loss it doesn't matter now. Whether UIW is treated as 6-2 or 7-2 they only get the auto next week if Nicholls loses to SELA.

Schism55
November 10th, 2018, 10:07 PM
Stick a fork in McNeese