AppGuy04
April 2nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2822968

Yanks have 4 of top 6, no surprisexrolleyesx

Peems
April 2nd, 2007, 05:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2822968

Yanks have 4 of top 6, no surprisexrolleyesx

you're just jealous you dont make that much!

NE MT GRIZZ
April 2nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Jeter deserves his money, A-rod and Giambi no way.
I wonder what Albert Pujols' contract would be if he was a Yankee,
probably 30-35m per year.

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
that sure is some amazing numbers but the thing that jumped out at me was that the median or number where half are above and half below is only 1 mil... in the scheme of things that isnt too much also... i think it said 66 players over 10 mil... that is serious cash

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 05:43 PM
Albert is making 14 mil even which is such an incredible bargain it is unbelievable

Mr. C
April 2nd, 2007, 10:13 PM
Hey, the Rangers offered A-Rod the contract he signed. It wasn't like someone was holding a gun to the Rangers' head, or to the Yankees when they traded for him. If someone offered you that money, I'm sure you would sign the contract and not think too much about whether you were "WORTH IT" or not.

bobcatfan06
April 3rd, 2007, 01:01 AM
A-Rod=Dumbest move by the Rangers ever (and I'm a Rangers fan)

AppGuy04
April 3rd, 2007, 07:22 AM
A-Rod=Dumbest move by the Rangers ever (and I'm a Rangers fan)

the contract or trading him?

NE MT GRIZZ
April 3rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
Hey, the Rangers offered A-Rod the contract he signed. It wasn't like someone was holding a gun to the Rangers' head, or to the Yankees when they traded for him. If someone offered you that money, I'm sure you would sign the contract and not think too much about whether you were "WORTH IT" or not.

Of course no one is going to turn down the money, I'm saying A-Rods performance on the field doesn't warrant his pay.

Mr. C
April 3rd, 2007, 09:30 AM
Neither does anyone else's at that rate. All of these guys are overpaid.

NE MT GRIZZ
April 3rd, 2007, 09:34 AM
Neither does anyone else's at that rate. All of these guys are overpaid.

I won't argue with that.

I would like to see MLB implement a max salary of 5m, and everyone has to hit performance incentives to get paid more.

I know it will never happen, just wishful thinking.

AZGrizFan
April 3rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
Of course no one is going to turn down the money, I'm saying A-Rods performance on the field doesn't warrant his pay.

To warrant that pay, he'd need 75/175/50/.375 every year. There was NO WAY he was ever going to live up to those contract numbers. He got paid nicely for putting himself in a no-win situation.

HiHiYikas
April 3rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
If you want to talk reasonable and unreasonable compensation, the Marlins ownership is getting paid over $30 million a year simply for having a lousy franchise. And their whole payroll is around $15 million. And nobody cares, while teams like the Yankees and Red Sox get criticized for spending cash on - now here's a novel idea - players!

No player in baseball is overpaid, until they stop selling tickets, broadcast rights, merchandise, and who knows what else.

You convince 30,000 people to buy a $25 ticket to show up at your office and watch you and your colleagues work. Then we'll talk about who is overpaid.

NE MT GRIZZ
April 3rd, 2007, 05:14 PM
No player in baseball is overpaid, until they stop selling tickets, broadcast rights, merchandise, and who knows what else.

You convince 30,000 people to buy a $25 ticket to show up at your office and watch you and your colleagues work. Then we'll talk about who is overpaid.

The whole entertainment business is ****ed up, and it's the fans' fault for continuing to buy into it.

I think it's a joke for A-Rod to make that kind of money, while many teachers (people who actually help society) need 2nd jobs to pay their bills.

Mr. C
April 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
And why do you single out A-Rod? Just because he is the highest paid? There are a lot worse contracts out there in terms of what guys produce or have produced. There was a whole slew of ridiculous signings in the past two years.

AZGrizFan
April 3rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
And why do you single out A-Rod? Just because he is the highest paid? There are a lot worse contracts out there in terms of what guys produce or have produced. There was a whole slew of ridiculous signings in the past two years.

Does the name "Russ Ortiz" ring a bell? xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

Peems
April 3rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
If you want to talk reasonable and unreasonable compensation, the Marlins ownership is getting paid over $30 million a year simply for having a lousy franchise. And their whole payroll is around $15 million. And nobody cares, while teams like the Yankees and Red Sox get criticized for spending cash on - now here's a novel idea - players!

The Marlins for all their interesting moves, do okay. I mean to win a world series after totally getting rid of everyone and thing that had to do with your previous win is impressive. Also they were right there last year, and this year should be better as their young players are just getting better.

NE MT GRIZZ
April 3rd, 2007, 05:43 PM

I'll admit I'm an A-Rod hater. He's been a cancer for every team he has played for.

Bad Contracts:
1. Mike Hampton
2. Kevin Brown
3. JD Drew's new one- He'll maybe play 120 games

Mr. C
April 3rd, 2007, 05:58 PM
I'll admit I'm an A-Rod hater. He's been a cancer for every team he has played for.

Calling A-Rod "a cancer on every team he's ever played for" is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on this board. Hate him all you want, but calling him a cancer is just plain dumb and is TOTALLY misinformed. As someone who has covered MLB in the past and as someone who knows people in the game, I know that the opinion of a lot of other people is 180 degrees different than what you are expressing. Now if you develop your opinion from reading the NY Daily News, the NY Post and listening to all of those vampiric television and radio stations in New York, then you will get your view reinforced.

If A-Rod is a cancer, why have most of the teams he's played on been extremely successful? The only time his teams have lost have been when they didn't have the proper support cast around him. Ask the players if they like A-Rod? Ask them if they would like him on their teams? About 99% of them are going to tell you what a great guy A-Rod is and how he is one of the BEST players in baseball. Does he struggle under the spotlight of playing in New York? Yes. Is he a quiet guy, who is more a follower than a leader in the clubhouse? Yes. Is he a "cancer," who detroys team chemistry? Absolutely not. You need to be better informed.

HiHiYikas
April 3rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
The whole entertainment business is ****ed up, and it's the fans' fault for continuing to buy into it.

I think it's a joke for A-Rod to make that kind of money, while many teachers (people who actually help society) need 2nd jobs to pay their bills.
I think you're on the right track, there.

I would add that the priorities of society are skewed when we think that the people who make the most money are the most worthwhile. It pulls us into a materialistic spiral where we need more and better "stuff" to demonstrate our value as people.

Teachers simply matter more than baseball players, and paychecks have nothing to do with the equation. That's a hard reality to accept, though, because it doesn't seem fair that throwing a ball well generates more money than teaching kids to read well.

NE MT GRIZZ
April 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Calling A-Rod "a cancer on every team he's ever played for" is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on this board. Hate him all you want, but calling him a cancer is just plain dumb and is TOTALLY misinformed. As someone who has covered MLB in the past and as someone who knows people in the game, I know that the opinion of a lot of other people is 180 degrees different than what you are expressing. Now if you develop your opinion from reading the NY Daily News, the NY Post and listening to all of those vampiric television and radio stations in New York, then you will get your view reinforced.

If A-Rod is a cancer, why have most of the teams he's played on been extremely successful? The only time his teams have lost have been when they didn't have the proper support cast around him. Ask the players if they like A-Rod? Ask them if they would like him on their teams? About 99% of them are going to tell you what a great guy A-Rod is and how he is one of the BEST players in baseball. Does he struggle under the spotlight of playing in New York? Yes. Is he a quiet guy, who is more a follower than a leader in the clubhouse? Yes. Is he a "cancer," who detroys team chemistry? Absolutely not. You need to be better informed.

Mr. C,
Calling A-Rod a cancer was probably too much. Stats show he has not made teams better, usually worse.

In the 3 years in Seattle prior to A-rod becoming a full-time player the Mariners averaged 81 wins and 73 losses, and Won a playoff series.

THe 5 years he was with the Mariners 84 wins and 77 losses, no playoff series wins.

The 3 years post A-Rod 101 wins and 61 losses, 1 playoff series win.

The 3 years before A-Rod came to the Rangers they averaged 85 wins and 77 losses and made the playoffs twice.

3 years with Alex 72 wins and 90 losses per season and no playoffs.

3 years after Alex 83 wins and 79 losses, no playoffs.

The Yankees played in 2 world series and 1 ALDS before A-Rod and averaged 100 wins and 62 losses.

Since he has joined them they have only won 1 playoff series and averaged 98 wins and 64 losses.

I know supporting cast and giving up players in trades has something to do with it, but teams do not do as well with him as without him. I think it is more than coincidence

Peems
April 4th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Mr. C,
Calling A-Rod a cancer was probably too much. Stats show he has not made teams better, usually worse.

In the 3 years in Seattle prior to A-rod becoming a full-time player the Mariners averaged 81 wins and 73 losses, and Won a playoff series.

THe 5 years he was with the Mariners 84 wins and 77 losses, no playoff series wins.

The 3 years post A-Rod 101 wins and 61 losses, 1 playoff series win.

The 3 years before A-Rod came to the Rangers they averaged 85 wins and 77 losses and made the playoffs twice.

3 years with Alex 72 wins and 90 losses per season and no playoffs.

3 years after Alex 83 wins and 79 losses, no playoffs.

The Yankees played in 2 world series and 1 ALDS before A-Rod and averaged 100 wins and 62 losses.

Since he has joined them they have only won 1 playoff series and averaged 98 wins and 64 losses.

I know supporting cast and giving up players in trades has something to do with it, but teams do not do as well with him as without him. I think it is more than coincidence

It's coincidence. The Yankees have faltered in the postseason recently due to pitching. A Rod has had some ****ty games, but if we had some solid pitching come playoff time, we would have been hoisting another championship banner.

NE MT GRIZZ
April 4th, 2007, 01:04 PM
It's coincidence. The Yankees have faltered in the postseason recently due to pitching. A Rod has had some ****ty games, but if we had some solid pitching come playoff time, we would have been hoisting another championship banner.

What about the Mariners and Rangers Peems?
There were some pretty dramatic changes with those two teams.