PDA

View Full Version : Standings in the Whacky Southland Conference....

Catatonic
November 4th, 2018, 06:11 AM
The SLC might only get one bid this year depending upon how things play out the next couple of weeks. UIW, ACU and Lamar have all improved this year. They have shown they are good enough to knock the traditional SLC powers out of play off consideration but probably haven’t been good enough all season long to secure a bid for themselves.

The SLC’s best shot at two bids....McNeese and Nicholls to win out. McNeese gets the autobid and Nicholls picks up an at large spot based on their W over P5 Kansas.

T1. McNeese 5-2
T1. Nicholls 5-2
T1. UIW 5-2

T4. ACU 4-3
T4. UCA 4-3
T4. Lamar 4-3
T4. SHSU 4-3

Hood
November 4th, 2018, 08:18 AM
I love my team but they're one and done again if they even make it.

Wildcat1997
November 4th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Honestly I think any team that makes it is probably a one and done.

katss07
November 4th, 2018, 08:43 AM
This conference is wacky. All of a sudden ACU, Word and Lamar are all in play to MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. I still think this is a two bid conference but for those teams with 3 conference losses, their only shot is the AQ.

FormerPokeCenter
November 4th, 2018, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't count on us winning any more games this year...and certainly nothing in the playoffs.

Catatonic
November 4th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Honestly I think any team that makes it is probably a one and done.

Even one and done would be cause for rejoicing in the land of the Wildcat. We haven’t sniffed the playoffs since we turned FCS.

WestCoastAggie
November 4th, 2018, 10:22 AM
The entire SLC needs to join A&T, James Madison, Wofford and Jacksonville State on "The Couch."

I don't know what in the world has gotten into these teams this year.

Like WTF?

Wildcat1997
November 4th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Even one and done would be cause for rejoicing in the land of the Wildcat. We haven’t sniffed the playoffs since we turned FCS.Most definitely. I would be ecstatic to make the playoffs even if we don't win a game.

McNeese75
November 4th, 2018, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't count on us winning any more games this year...and certainly nothing in the playoffs.This!! Not sure I would want do see a playoff game even if if they survive the next two weeks. Nicholls is better suited for the big.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2018, 12:05 PM
It's because the Southland, like the socon, has more teams that are either start up programs (less than 10 years old) or new to the FCS level.

This is the year you would see said programs make strides.

The difference with the Southland and the Socon, however, is that the Socon has won some playoff games. Southland can set themselves up in the future, but I think they will suffer this year in terms of at large bids

cx500d
November 4th, 2018, 12:08 PM
It's because the Southland, like the socon, has more teams that are either start up programs (less than 10 years old) or new to the FCS level.

This is the year you would see said programs make strides.

The difference with the Southland and the Socon, however, is that the Socon has won some playoff games. Southland can set themselves up in the future, but I think they will suffer this year in terms of at large bids

What? As much as I hate to admit it, the Southland has won plenty of playoff games...

FormerPokeCenter
November 4th, 2018, 12:13 PM
This conference is wacky. All of a sudden ACU, Word and Lamar are all in play to MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. I still think this is a two bid conference but for those teams with 3 conference losses, their only shot is the AQ.

In that case, then I'd like to see UIW win out, and have everybody else finish with three or more conference losses.

A new team like UIW can handle a playoff loss and come out stronger for it. Honestly, I'm more scared of what another first round loss would do to McNeese than I am excited at the prospect that they get to play in the post season, particularly with this offense.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2018, 12:33 PM
What? As much as I hate to admit it, the Southland has won plenty of playoff games...

Outside of Sam Houston, in the last 5 years the Southland has only beaten one team that was not in the Southland, Illinois State (2016).

On the top of my head, Socon has beaten Charleston Southern (2016), Coastal Carolina (2015), Elon (2017), Weber State (2016 I think), Illinois State (2015 I think?)

My point is that the Southland will continue to struggle with playoff bids because of this possible perception. If they continue to have this parity, however, you won't see a 9-2 Southland team ever get left out again.

katss07
November 4th, 2018, 12:45 PM
SELA won a playoff game in 2013 or 2014 didn’t they? I know Sam lost to them in the postseason which made me angry (I don’t like the Lions).

melloware13
How did UIW end up with one less conference game then everyone else (mainly looking at McNeese & Nicholls due to AQ thoughts). I think UIW's only shot is through the AQ, which would need a win v UCA and at least one McNeese and Nicholls loss. Nicholls has the best OOC resume in my opinion, and should be safe at 8-3, but is still dicey at 7-4

FormerPokeCenter
The 9-2 last year should come with an asterisk. We didn't play Sam Houston, and based on the way we played our other games, I'm thinking that likely would have been 8-3 had the Sam Houston Institute of Technology been on the schedule.

It's not popular in Cowboy quarters, but leaving last year's 9-2 Pokes at home was the right call.

FormerPokeCenter
November 4th, 2018, 12:47 PM
SELA won a playoff game in 2013 or 2014 didn’t they? I know Sam lost to them in the postseason which made me angry (I don’t like the Lions).
}

Nobody likes the Lions. Outside of Royal's blind loyalty, I'm not even sure they like themselves.