PDA

View Full Version : Lindys Small School Studs

flea
April 2nd, 2007, 12:57 AM
Don't know if it was mentioned here. I just recently got Lindys Draft Guide & heres who they have to watch out for from outside the BCS

QB Toby Korrodi Central Missouiri State
RB Garrett Wolfe Northern Illinois
FB James Prydatko Fordham
WR David Ball New Hampshire
TE Michael Allan Whitworth
OG Corey Davis James Madison
OT Elliot Vallejo Cal-Davis
C Drew Mormino Central Michigan

DE Dan Bazuin Central Michigan
DT Tory Collins Northwestern State(La.)
ILB Justin Durant Hampton
OLB Ameer Ismail Western Michigan
CB Travarous Bain Hampton
S Kevin Payne Louisiana-Monroe

pennstlbu
April 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Hmmm...funny. I played against Michael Allan from Whitworth. I never suspected he might be drafted by the NFL. But I guess being a 6-7 TE with 4.5+ speed, and a 36"+ vertical will get you possibly drafted.

Mr. C
April 3rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Corey Davis? He really fell off after his sophomore year. He has some good tools, but I wouldn't trust his work ethic. He also got into some off-field trouble at JMU. He would be a risk to draft (I doubt he will be drafted anyway).

jmuroller
April 3rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Corey Davis? He really fell off after his sophomore year. He has some good tools, but I wouldn't trust his work ethic. He also got into some off-field trouble at JMU. He would be a risk to draft (I doubt he will be drafted anyway).

Corey is probably the 3rd best NFL prospect for JMU this year behind Rascati and Banks. He played Tackle his whole career and will have to play guard or center in the NFL to make it. At best he goes in the 7th round if he gets lucky, but will go somewhere at a free agent.

smallcollegefbfan
April 3rd, 2007, 09:06 PM
Well 3rd best for this year. We all know LeZotte moves ahead of him if you include underclassmen right? :)

Kill'em
April 3rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Again, no John Mohring!xmadx

appfan2008
April 3rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
what happened to the 5 hampton players from the combine? only one on that list... also no asu players... not good

Mr. C
April 3rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
Well 3rd best for this year. We all know LeZotte moves ahead of him if you include underclassmen right? :)
LeZotte needs to get back to his freshman and sophomore level of play to have a legitimate shot. His stock really fell from what I heard from a lot of people this season. In particularly, he needs to show he can cover people better. He has a reputation for run support and I know that is his primary role in that weird defense that Mickey Matthews runs (the 4-2-5), but LeZotte had trouble with coverage at times this season (remember the Youngstown State game?).

What is it, BTW, that makes JMU players seem to fall off as upperclassmen? They've had a lot of players perform better as freshmen and sophomores than they do as juniors and seniors.

flea
April 4th, 2007, 12:33 AM
what happened to the 5 hampton players from the combine? only one on that list... also no asu players... not good

Well Alonzo Coleman(projected 7th round) & Justin Durant(4th round) were included in the prospects that had more wrote on them just not put down as small school studs

smallcollegefbfan
April 4th, 2007, 07:42 AM

ASU really has noone that should be on that list. Murrell is the best one and he ran a 4.8.

Maybe they felt everyone knew about the Hampton guys and wanted to get some new guys some pub... xconfusedx

smallcollegefbfan
April 4th, 2007, 07:43 AM
LeZotte needs to get back to his freshman and sophomore level of play to have a legitimate shot. His stock really fell from what I heard from a lot of people this season. In particularly, he needs to show he can cover people better. He has a reputation for run support and I know that is his primary role in that weird defense that Mickey Matthews runs (the 4-2-5), but LeZotte had trouble with coverage at times this season (remember the Youngstown State game?).

What is it, BTW, that makes JMU players seem to fall off as upperclassmen? They've had a lot of players perform better as freshmen and sophomores than they do as juniors and seniors.

LeZotte will have a better year. I could see people projecting him in the late rounds this season but I fully expect him to end up a 3rd-4th round pick.

th0m
April 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM

For as many players that 'fall off' as upperclassmen, there are just as many that step up: Akeem Jordan, Chuck Suppon, Isaiah Dottin-Carter, Kevin Winston to name a few (there were many more seniors that stepped up, but some were transfers so they are harder to gauge). Interestingly all defensive players.

mcveyrl
April 4th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Davis's pro day was horrific. AB out benched him. The only way he gets drafted is if E.Boli was released at the combine and it just now comes to light.

Also, EVERYBODY had coverage issues in the YSU game!! But, Lezotte does need to step it up. His stock definitely dropped last year and he won't even be on the radar if he has another year like that.

jmuroller
April 4th, 2007, 11:33 AM

What is "weird" about that defense? It's just the "8 man front." I believe that Va Tech and GA Tech run it, along with a bunch of other schools.

I'm not sure how much of a NFL prospect LeZotte will be. I don't know if he is fast enough to play there. His coverage abilities are very poor. When it comes run stopping, there is no one better.

Even though people say he had a bad year, he still was 1st team All A10 and made some second team All American lists.

Mr. C
April 4th, 2007, 12:09 PM
By "weird" I wasn't taking a shot at JMU, Mickey Matthews, or anything else related to the Dukes. It is an unconventional defense at this point. Some day it may become the norm, but for now, it is unusual.

On LeZotte, he made a few All-American teams, but in most people's minds, he went into the season as a first-team safety (where he had been picked inn his first two years) and didn't live up to that level of play. Safety was probably the most competitive position in the FCS last season. There were a ton of great ones. But if you talked to people around the country, including some coaches and if you talked to some people around the A-10, you heard repeatedly that LeZotte regressed in 2006. A lot of people didn't feel he had a year worthy of his previous play.

PapaBear
April 4th, 2007, 01:00 PM
By "weird" I wasn't taking a shot at JMU, Mickey Matthews, or anything else related to the Dukes. It is an unconventional defense at this point. Some day it may become the norm, but for now, it is unusual.

On LeZotte, he made a few All-American teams, but in most people's minds, he went into the season as a first-team safety (where he had been picked inn his first two years) and didn't live up to that level of play. Safety was probably the most competitive position in the FCS last season. There were a ton of great ones. But if you talked to people around the country, including some coaches and if you talked to some people around the A-10, you heard repeatedly that LeZotte regressed in 2006. A lot of people didn't feel he had a year worthy of his previous play.

There's nothing weird about it. It's essentially a nickel defense with one position that can play either run-first or pass first. Much more common than you think, in practice; in fact, it's downright "conventional" against today's spread offenses. It's just that not all teams identify it as a 4-2-5.

Many 4-3 teams use a similar technique with one of their D-Ends, swinging him between pass coverage and pass rushing. They don't necessarily call it a 3-4 when he's in coverage. But that's what they're actually playing at the time.

Jackluv
April 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM
i agree ....Davis murdered himself for the draft by benching 225 12 times at 329 lbs ....r u serious? i can see if he was a 6'8 OT but hes about 6'3 flat