PDA

View Full Version : Has the FCS become boring?

Pages : 1 [2]

POD Knows
December 17th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Put me in the "get better" camp.

Here's what's not boring.

Playing the UW tight in two recent games and looking forward to another next year.

Beating a top 25 Oregon State that went bowling.

Beating Wazzu in a year they finished 8-4.

Taking newbies to games at Washington Grizzly Stadium to show them what real football fans are like and how miraculous it is that EWU is even competitive with not to mention has been dominant lately over the Griz.

Watching Cooper Kupp tear up NFL defenses, Samson Ebukam have a scoop 6 and pick 6 and two hurries on MNF, and Kendrick Bourne catch some touchdowns for the Niners.

Going on multiple runs and seeing EWU occasionally dominate the Spokane Media market over Wazzu and Gonzaga hoops.

Home playoff games in December and 12-15 game seasons...preceded by terrific tailgates with fans from places like Jacksonville, AL and Thibodeaux, LA...many of which have been last second victories (and sometimes defeats) against FCS schools from all over the US where the speed of the game is picked up, the hits come harder, and the level of talent is great...oh...and played on the most beautiful sprint turf in the history of the world. xnodx

FCS is outstanding and with the SLC showing improvement and some new faces in the playoffs like Davis, KSU and ETSU there's plenty more room for competition at the top.
:D You had me until this, actually, the field looks better in person than on the tube. Also, the announcers stated that EWU has only played one road playoff game in the FCS, is this true, I don't want to look it up but why is nobody on this board jamming you guys about this, all we hear on here is people trying to redo the playoff format because NDSU always gets to play at home.

Professor
December 17th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Yes, the playoffs have become boring.

The problem is that even though there are 125 FCS teams, only around half actually care about putting quality teams together and/or participating in the playoffs.

Consider this:

Most SWAC teams care more about their classics and matchups with other HBCS's, as well as getting paid with guarantee games than actually trying to be relevant in the FCS world.

The IVY League is too snobby to participate in an 11 (or the occasional 12) game schedule and the playoffs.

The MEAC tries to make the playoffs, but they are focused on petty infighting (see the Hampton issue) and getting lots of quarantee games.

The Patriot League has teams that are not willing to spend money to improve themselves (Georgetown) and they won't schedule better games - they are totally fine scheduling majority IVY League opponents.

The Pioneer League will never get more than the league winner in the playoffs (although they have achieved recent success).

Therefore teams from the major FCS Conferences will always have a better chance to make the playoffs. But some of these teams are recent start ups and teams using football to pay their entire athletic budget.

This ultimately means the established programs will always "be in the mix" and thus the playoffs will almost always be the same old thing.

As a graduate of NDSU, I am happy. If it was a different team that was winning the way NDSU has, I would be bored with the playoffs and their success, but I would want my team to get better, not have the top team fall back to mediocrity.

This post is hilarious. One teams domination has made it boring. In the past, once a team dominated they moved up. NDSU isn't going anywhere so everyone is just waiting on the inevitable. Another title.

Your description of the MEAC and SWAC is sad and amusing but not factual.

kalm
December 17th, 2018, 08:44 AM
:D You had me until this, actually, the field looks better in person than on the tube. Also, the announcers stated that EWU has only played one road playoff game in the FCS, is this true, I don't want to look it up but why is nobody on this board jamming you guys about this, all we hear on here is people trying to redo the playoff format because NDSU always gets to play at home.

We haven't played a road playoff game since 2007. That year we upset #2 McNeese and lost to App State in relatively close one, both on the road. In 2005 we upset #2 SIU and lost a close one to UNI both on the road.

All home games through the semis's in 1997.

Lost to UNI on the road in 1993.

Beat Idaho and lost to UNi both on the road in 1985.

POD Knows
December 17th, 2018, 08:50 AM
We haven't played a road playoff game since 2007. That year we upset #2 McNeese and lost to App State in relatively close one, both on the road. In 2005 we upset #2 SIU and lost a close one to UNI both on the road.

All home games through the semis's in 1997.

Lost to UNI on the road in 1993.

Beat Idaho and lost to UNi both on the road in 1985.I couldn't remember the time frame the announcers referenced, maybe it was the last 10 years or something.

PaladinFan
December 17th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Going back to 2007 (the oldest year available on gobison.com), NDSU's average margin of victory goes up in the playoffs. The average score in the regular season including some FBS opponents is 33-16. In the playoffs, the average score is 34-14.

Some of that has to do with 24 teams in the postseason. NDSU gets a bye week, they only play at home, and often don't see an 8 or 9 win team until the 3rd week of the playoffs. When they do play a team, often they are facing a road-weary team that did not benefit from a bye week.

It makes complete sense to me that the average margin of victory would go up in the postseason. I imagine the margin of victory would go down if the Bison had to hit the road or play seeded teams right from the get-go.

TheKingpin28
December 17th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Some of that has to do with 24 teams in the postseason. NDSU gets a bye week, they only play at home, and often don't see an 8 or 9 win team until the 3rd week of the playoffs. When they do play a team, often they are facing a road-weary team that did not benefit from a bye week.Not NDSUs fault they win the games in front of them and plan their schedule wisely to ensure maximum rest for maximum performance.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

POD Knows
December 17th, 2018, 09:23 AM
Some of that has to do with 24 teams in the postseason. NDSU gets a bye week, they only play at home, and often don't see an 8 or 9 win team until the 3rd week of the playoffs. When they do play a team, often they are facing a road-weary team that did not benefit from a bye week.

It makes complete sense to me that the average margin of victory would go up in the postseason. I imagine the margin of victory would go down if the Bison had to hit the road or play seeded teams right from the get-go.All that margin of victory increase shows is the overall weakness of the rest of the division, by the time these teams get to Fargo, we should be down to the top 16 teams in theory so from then on, you are playing a top 16 teams for the balance of the playoffs. The "strength" of the teams at that point should offset the home field advantage, but is doesn't, you know why, because those teams NDSU usually gets in the round of 16 and 8 are usually worse than the top half of the MVFC. Sorry, but that is what it is. We have had some of close games in the playoffs but most of them have been MVFC foes, exceptions, lost to JMU and had tough games with GSU, Wofford and Coastal Carolina, but that is about it.

PaladinFan
December 17th, 2018, 10:50 AM
All that margin of victory increase shows is the overall weakness of the rest of the division, by the time these teams get to Fargo, we should be down to the top 16 teams in theory so from then on, you are playing a top 16 teams for the balance of the playoffs. The "strength" of the teams at that point should offset the home field advantage, but is doesn't, you know why, because those teams NDSU usually gets in the round of 16 and 8 are usually worse than the top half of the MVFC. Sorry, but that is what it is. We have had some of close games in the playoffs but most of them have been MVFC foes, exceptions, lost to JMU and had tough games with GSU, Wofford and Coastal Carolina, but that is about it.

The point I am making is that if there was a 16 team playoff and NDSU had to, say, go on the road to Eastern Washington or UC Davis in the first round, I don't think you'd see a larger margin of victory. Especially considering that format would weed out the unseeded teams who probably shouldn't be in the postseason anyway.

In my opinion, the larger margin of victory has less to do with the perceived weakness in the division, and more to do with the Bison sitting home while other teams fly cross-country to come to Fargo. That is why the margin of victory is less in the regular season, where NDSU isn't getting the benefit of bye weeks and has to play on the road.

It's not NDSU's "fault" they are good and get those benefits. They earn them. It just explains (at least to me) why you see an increased margin of victory.

UNHWildcat18
December 17th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Man if all the great people in history that accomplished great feats had your attitude men and woman would accomplish little. If it was supposed to be easy it wouldn't mean anything. If you have kids I sure hope you give them more encouragement when they fail at something then to just say "it's to hard just give up".

Backer.... come on bro, its a forum about football. I never said for anyone to give up, Teams are trying to catch NDSU, and I hope they do. I don't want to see NDSU come down, just others rise up.

Your statement about my attitude is based of nothing and the statement about kids and giving up is just ridiculous.

Simply stated the fact is NDSU has won 6 out of 7 years in a row. They are going for 7/8. The year JMU won I was so excited to see the NC game. this year not so much, regardless of sport if you see the same outcome over and over it eventually gets boring. Maybe not for the winners fanbase but for everyone else. Not sure why you and so many NDSU fans get so butthurt over this statement. if UNH god forbid won 7 years in a row and people were saying how boring the playoffs were getting id be like yeah I totally see how it is boring for you guys

Who knows maybe EWU wins this year(doubt it)

NDSUKurt
December 17th, 2018, 11:02 AM
This post is hilarious. One teams domination has made it boring. In the past, once a team dominated they moved up. NDSU isn't going anywhere so everyone is just waiting on the inevitable. Another title.

Your description of the MEAC and SWAC is sad and amusing but not factual.

Actually, it is accurate. When the SWAC decided to start playing only 7 conference games this season, it was stated by multiple AD's that they were happy for the change because it allows their schools to schedule more guarantee games.

There are/were multiple MEAC schools are not happy about the Celebration Bowl being the automatic placement for the League champion instead of going to the FCS Playoffs.

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Backer.... come on bro, its a forum about football. I never said for anyone to give up, Teams are trying to catch NDSU, and I hope they do. I don't want to see NDSU come down, just others rise up.

Your statement about my attitude is based of nothing and the statement about kids and giving up is just ridiculous.

Simply stated the fact is NDSU has won 6 out of 7 years in a row. They are going for 7/8. The year JMU won I was so excited to see the NC game. this year not so much, regardless of sport if you see the same outcome over and over it eventually gets boring. Maybe not for the winners fanbase but for everyone else. Not sure why you and so many NDSU fans get so butthurt over this statement. if UNH god forbid won 7 years in a row and people were saying how boring the playoffs were getting id be like yeah I totally see how it is boring for you guys

Who knows maybe EWU wins this year(doubt it)
Not butthurt at all. If you watch the NFL do you tire of Brady & company's run over the last decade or so? I'm not an NBA follower but do you tire of Golden State's run? How about baseball's dominant teams being in the playoffs year after year? I'm with you on the comment about the rest of the fcs raising their game. I still enjoy watching the MLB postseason games including the world series even though its been25 years since my Minnesota Twins have played in it. Heck I may never see them in it again in my lifetime but I'll still watch it.

UNHWildcat18
December 17th, 2018, 11:17 AM
This is a classic example of what this thread asks. He has no interest in the title game. And for the most part, my guess is that any person that is not a fan of either team is cheering to watch NDSU lose. Not because they are a fan of EWU, but because they hate the fact that NDSU has been so good. Well I myself do not care what is good for the FCS, and can see the point of why fans of other teams don't want to see or care if NDSU wins. I don't give a rats butt if any team outside of NDSU wins anything. NDSU is my team and if we were to win the next 48 out of 50 national championships that would be great in my book. I am not a fan of other teams, but I do respect a few, but in the end if your team has a good season or drops football.........I could care less. The loss of a team or two from the FCS is not going to make the division close up, and if it remains boring because NDSU keeps cranking out national championships it will not make me stop going to games. The survival of the FCS and its popularity comes from individual teams and their fans. Some schools are doing their part, while others are not, and that is the problem, not the fact that NDSU has made it boring by winning to much.

Well said. It's hard to generalize since every viewer is different, however for me personally, NDSU not only winning but dominating in those playoff wins so badly has reduced my enthusiasm for the playoffs. UNH being in it every year until now has definitely kept me pumped for the playoffs.

I could say everyone is just playing for a runners up trophy at this point, which is pretty much true except for that JMU year, and who knows maybe this year..... NDSU fans will then bark at me about how teams need to just get better ect....... which is absolutely true......... but that still doesnt change the fact its not as entertaining for me.

POD Knows
December 17th, 2018, 11:24 AM
The point I am making is that if there was a 16 team playoff and NDSU had to, say, go on the road to Eastern Washington or UC Davis in the first round, I don't think you'd see a larger margin of victory. Especially considering that format would weed out the unseeded teams who probably shouldn't be in the postseason anyway.

In my opinion, the larger margin of victory has less to do with the perceived weakness in the division, and more to do with the Bison sitting home while other teams fly cross-country to come to Fargo. That is why the margin of victory is less in the regular season, where NDSU isn't getting the benefit of bye weeks and has to play on the road.

It's not NDSU's "fault" they are good and get those benefits. They earn them. It just explains (at least to me) why you see an increased margin of victory.I am on board with the 16 team playoff, and if the Bison had to go on the road, that would mean that the Bison had a lower seed and probably wouldn't beat the **** out of everybody they played. Do you have any idea what the Bison road record is?? We play a lot of quality teams on the road, and do pretty well.

UNHWildcat18
December 17th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Not butthurt at all. If you watch the NFL do you tire of Brady & company's run over the last decade or so? I'm not an NBA follower but do you tire of Golden State's run? How about baseball's dominant teams being in the playoffs year after year? I'm with you on the comment about the rest of the fcs raising their game. I still enjoy watching the MLB postseason games including the world series even though its been25 years since my Minnesota Twins have played in it. Heck I may never see them in it again in my lifetime but I'll still watch it.

Hard to comment because im not a huge NBA or MLB. The Red Sox winning was great this year though. I see the point you are making, lets scale things down a bit. The pats being in 8 superbowls, winning 5 over 17 years is pretty dominant but not as much as NDSU's potentially 7 in 8 years.

Scaling down, the patriots are going for their 16th! afc east division title in 18 years. While I personally am not sick of them winning, just as you NDSU fans obviously aren't sick of NDSU winning. I can see why fans of the bills jets and dolphins probably have a little bit of luster taken out of them.

To get back to the end of your point though, you are right I still watch and enjoy FCS football a lot and I watched most of the playoff games this year, just doubtful that I watch the NC game, maybe I tune in.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 17th, 2018, 11:53 AM
It is what it is. The FBS is in a similar position - one dominant team nobody can seem to figure out how to beat.

I remain firm in my opinion that the playoffs should go back to 16 teams. No bye week for seeds, force everyone to play a top 15 team right out of the gate and not have to wait three weeks before playing a team that can actually beat them.

Don't know if there's any real comparison, here. Take Nick Saban away from Alabama and they're basically UGA or Florida.

NDSU had a 43-2 run with Craig Bohl and a 68-6 (and counting) with Chris Klieman. Klieman literally has the highest win percentage of any active DI coach and has a higher winning percentage than any of the great FCS coaches over the years. Don't expect the NDSU reign to end with a new head coach.

Heck even with a down year Mike Houston is leaving JMU with a higher winning percentage than most of the great coaches of the history of the FCS.

There is nothing in contemporary sports comparable to NDSU, and IMO the closest thing is John Wooden at UCLA.

uni88
December 17th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Don't know if there's any real comparison, here. Take Nick Saban away from Alabama and they're basically UGA or Florida.

NDSU had a 43-2 run with Craig Bohl and a 68-6 (and counting) with Chris Klieman. Klieman literally has the highest win percentage of any active DI coach and has a higher winning percentage than any of the great FCS coaches over the years. Don't expect the NDSU reign to end with a new head coach.

Heck even with a down year Mike Houston is leaving JMU with a higher winning percentage than most of the great coaches of the history of the FCS.

There is nothing in contemporary sports comparable to NDSU, and IMO the closest thing is John Wooden at UCLA.Dan Gable and Iowa wrestling is up there with Wooden.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2018, 01:03 PM
The Patriot League has teams that are not willing to spend money to improve themselves (Georgetown) and they won't schedule better games - they are totally fine scheduling majority IVY League opponents.

Not so. Six of the seven PL schools rank in the top 20 in I-AA/FCS budgets:

3. Fordham ($7.0 million in 2017)
8. Lafayette ($6.5 million)
10. Holy Cross ($$6.1 million)
12. Colgate ($5.8 million)
13. Bucknell ($5.6 million)
17. Lehigh ($5.3 million)

Georgetown is 110th at $2 million. That's very low. The problem is that the school has traditionally underfunded Big East sports in terms of scholarships (there are roughly 60 men's scholarships across 14 men's sports and 350 male student athletes) and the expectation is that future revenues (assisted by basketball, which is at low tide these days) would support filling in the gaps in other underfunded sports like baseball, golf, swimming, tennis, volleyball, etc. before football, which has no minimum scholarship guidelines in the PL.

Spending is not Georgetown's chief problem, it is admission. With a 14% admit rate and the PL's arcane rules on recruiting, a lot of talent either aren't able to qualify or aren't willing to put up with the process.

Then again, try explaining how a school with the 11th ranked defense in FCS this year (that's right, Georgetown was #11) is paired up with the #121st ranked offense out of 124.

Silenoz
December 17th, 2018, 01:05 PM
I love all the "get better" talk, like NDSU fans are all responsible for their team's run. We can donate money, demand things, lobby for coaches, etc., but this is a spectator sport. No one is willing their team into dominance. Relevance? Maybe. Maybe.

No, what happens is an elite system got built, and it got maintained, just like in 'Bama, Mount Union, and New England, nothing more.

And no one is telling you to be worse. But the reality is you have captured ten lightnings in a bottle. That's why you, and maybe some DIII programs, are able to do what 500 other college football programs can't and won't do. "Get better?" ****, if that's all it took MSU and UM would be competitive with EWU. USC and Nebraska would be relevant. The Dallas Cowboys would do something once. Every school dropping a $50,000,000 on facilities for (mostly) stupid reasons is trying to get better.

Go ahead and win the next 20 championships in a row for all I care. If it can't (and won't) be us then all the better to keep it out of EWU and MSU's hands. But I'm not exactly waiting with bated breath for the outcome of this year's championship drubbing either.

Reign of Terrier
December 17th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Yeah, the whole "get better" talk is kind of like the expression a leader without any followers is just a guy taking a walk.

Silenoz
December 17th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Hell, even Bison nation is getting complacent, and dare I say, bored:

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?39799-Wake-up-Bison-Nation!

ST_Lawson
December 17th, 2018, 01:22 PM
How about baseball's dominant teams being in the playoffs year after year? I'm with you on the comment about the rest of the fcs raising their game. I still enjoy watching the MLB postseason games including the world series even though its been25 years since my Minnesota Twins have played in it. Heck I may never see them in it again in my lifetime but I'll still watch it.

I'm a Cubs fan, so it's been pretty exciting for me the last few years, but even still, once the Cubs are out of it...I'm done watching and on to football. I literally couldn't tell you who won this year or even which teams were in it. Cubs lost to the Rockies in the Wild Card game and for me, the season was over.

I pay more attention to FCS football, but it is a little disappointing knowing that we're probably never going to be able to compete on any regular basis with some of the teams in our conference. We might pull off a win against NDSU every now and then when they're having a down year and we have a great team (like in 2010)...but unless we get incredibly lucky with a coach or a couple of amazing recruits/transfers, we don't have the money to "get better". We can't afford to pay our HC even half of what Entz is likely to make at NDSU and we're not going to be "wow-ing" anyone with our facilities or stellar attendance. I'm not trying to be all "woe is me", but this is unfortunately the reality of the situation for us. Our best case scenario given the current state of things and probably for the next decade at least is an occasional 7-8 win season and going 1-1 in the playoffs.

Silenoz
December 17th, 2018, 01:25 PM
I'm a Cubs fan, so it's been pretty exciting for me the last few years, but even still, once the Cubs are out of it...I'm done watching and on to football. I literally couldn't tell you who won this year or even which teams were in it. Cubs lost to the Rockies in the Wild Card game and for me, the season was over.

I pay more attention to FCS football, but it is a little disappointing knowing that we're probably never going to be able to compete on any regular basis with some of the teams in our conference. We might pull off a win against NDSU every now and then when they're having a down year and we have a great team (like in 2010)...but unless we get incredibly lucky with a coach or a couple of amazing recruits/transfers, we don't have the money to "get better". We can't afford to pay our HC even half of what Entz is likely to make at NDSU and we're not going to be "wow-ing" anyone with our facilities or stellar attendance. I'm not trying to be all "woe is me", but this is unfortunately the reality of the situation for us. Our best case scenario given the current state of things and probably for the next decade at least is an occasional 7-8 win season and going 1-1 in the playoffs.

Do you even get better bro?

Bisonoline
December 17th, 2018, 01:25 PM

The only fans supposedly bored are the same ones who bitch about going FBS. But of course are stillat every game. The majority are just fine and arent bored at all. But nice try.

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2018, 01:26 PM
The only fans supposedly bored are the same ones who bitch about going FBS. But of course are stillat every game. The majority are just fine and arent bored at all. But nice try.

Would you rather have them bitch and not go to the games?

NDSUKurt
December 17th, 2018, 01:57 PM
Not so. Six of the seven PL schools rank in the top 20 in I-AA/FCS budgets:

3. Fordham ($7.0 million in 2017)
8. Lafayette ($6.5 million)
10. Holy Cross ($$6.1 million)
12. Colgate ($5.8 million)
13. Bucknell ($5.6 million)
17. Lehigh ($5.3 million)

Georgetown is 110th at $2 million. That's very low. The problem is that the school has traditionally underfunded Big East sports in terms of scholarships (there are roughly 60 men's scholarships across 14 men's sports and 350 male student athletes) and the expectation is that future revenues (assisted by basketball, which is at low tide these days) would support filling in the gaps in other underfunded sports like baseball, golf, swimming, tennis, volleyball, etc. before football, which has no minimum scholarship guidelines in the PL.

Spending is not Georgetown's chief problem, it is admission. With a 14% admit rate and the PL's arcane rules on recruiting, a lot of talent either aren't able to qualify or aren't willing to put up with the process.

Then again, try explaining how a school with the 11th ranked defense in FCS this year (that's right, Georgetown was #11) is paired up with the #121st ranked offense out of 124.

Can you share the link for the budget information - I did not see that info.

As for Georgetown, they played nobody of note this year. Stats do lie.

kalm
December 17th, 2018, 01:58 PM

This hasn't been the case at EWU with the one of the and sometimes lowest athletics budget and endowment in the Big Sky. It's a teachers and social workers college where too many alumni are Gonzaga Basketball and Wazzu season ticket holders. We play in a high school stadium, the training room needs serious upgrades, we have no football center and teams have march a half mile backwards, uphill, through snow to reach the locker rooms at halftime. Our coaches are extremely underpaid and have had to sleep on friends couches for recruiting trips We have cookie sales and lemonade stands as important fundraisers. Yet...........

I'm adopting WIU as my second favorite team. If we can do it, anyone can.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 17th, 2018, 01:59 PM

Everything you said in second paragraph is what FCS football is about. It's the D1 schools that can't pony up the resources to play FBS but still want to compete at a reasonably high level. NDSU literally has a Top 25 FBS program playing in FCS. FCS had some great teams over the years but they left as soon as they appeared. Great programs like Delaware; 1 title, Montana; 2 titles, Marshall; 2 titles....it's damn hard!!

NDSUKurt
December 17th, 2018, 02:05 PM

Some of us are. I never get bored of winning. I get bored from years when there is minimal competition from other teams but then those teams still try to talk smack about NDSU.

I am bored with the fact that teams refuse to play NDSU because they don't want to get smoked (Northern Arizona in 2013, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Western Carolina, and more) but then complain when they cannot find another team to play that is a "counter" game.

Next year will be one of the most fun for me as an NDSU fan - a game in Minneapolis, good quality out of conference games, a new coach, and many new players. This will make me become more interested as opposed to less.

Silenoz
December 17th, 2018, 02:07 PM
I'd say that's a thread about a relative malaise towards the 2018 season from multiple corners, something I'm sure could have been said about the 2011 season, and which probably has nothing to do with every game lasting roughly 1.25 quarters. But it's easier to just say it's those "FBS fans!" So, "nice try" me.

Hell, your buddy Kurt there is a prime example. It's not even minimal competition, it's like... the shadow of competition.

Professor
December 17th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Actually, it is accurate. When the SWAC decided to start playing only 7 conference games this season, it was stated by multiple AD's that they were happy for the change because it allows their schools to schedule more guarantee games.

There are/were multiple MEAC schools are not happy about the Celebration Bowl being the automatic placement for the League champion instead of going to the FCS Playoffs.

It allows them to play more home games. Not so much about guaranteed games. A Sept home game generates a lot.

It was 2 schools that voted against it. Hampton voted for it and left. No one is missing the playoffs. That's our backup plan at this point. The Celebration Bowl is the best FCS postseason game. Ratings and attendance show that

dudeitsaid
December 17th, 2018, 02:26 PM

Actually, last road playoff game was a 2009 loss to SFA. We shoulda been on the road last year though, imo.

Reign of Terrier
December 17th, 2018, 02:27 PM
I will say this, and it kind of goes together with general playoff discussions, but there's just something less stressful about only having to play one bowl game. The cliche nowadays is saying that there are too many bowl games, but there's something less stressful about only playing one postseason game. You're season is over no matter what, so if you lose it doesn't hurt as much.

It used to be the uncertainty of the playoffs and the potential excited me, but because NDSU winning is the result now, there's a ceiling to that enthusiasm.

SUPharmacist
December 17th, 2018, 02:32 PM
The Celebration Bowl is the best FCS postseason game. Ratings and attendance show that

It may certainly be the best choice for the programs that participate, and some years it maybe competitive and a great game. However, most years I think the best FCS postseason game comes from a matchup in the FCS playoffs.

SUPharmacist
December 17th, 2018, 02:39 PM
The year JMU won I was so excited to see the NC game.

Out of curiosity what was your interest level in the title game last year? Was it still high for the chance to see a competitive game and potentially another NDSU loss, or was it low since it was either another NDSU win or a JMU repeat?

Reign of Terrier
December 17th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Out of curiosity what was your interest level in the title game last year? Was it still high for the chance to see a competitive game and potentially another NDSU loss, or was it low since it was either another NDSU win or a JMU repeat?

I watched it and was interested in it just because I was interested to see NDSU maybe lose again. And I'm not anti-NDSU, I just thought it was possible if not likely to happen which could not be said in most NDSU matchups.

The argument that NDSU is making the FCS boring has nothing to do with objections to repeating champions. Back to Back championships can be fun. JMU winning back to back would have been fun. The problem is when it becomes 5-peats or whatever. NDSU winning it again this year wouldn't feel like a repeat (though it would be). If would feel like 7 in 8 years where the one loss may as well have been five years ago.

SUPharmacist
December 17th, 2018, 02:49 PM
I watched it and was interested in it just because I was interested to see NDSU maybe lose again. And I'm not anti-NDSU, I just thought it was possible if not likely to happen which could not be said in most NDSU matchups.

The argument that NDSU is making the FCS boring has nothing to do with objections to repeating champions. Back to Back championships can be fun. JMU winning back to back would have been fun. The problem is when it becomes 5-peats or whatever. NDSU winning it again this year wouldn't feel like a repeat (though it would be). If would feel like 7 in 8 years where the one loss may as well have been five years ago.

That was the perspective I would expect, but just wanted to hear it from someone not wearing my green and gold tinted glasses. This year seems like it has the potential for a good game. While part of me would love to see NDSU absolutely dominate, a competitive game like the ISUr matchup would be enjoyable. That said if a competitive matchup results in a loss, I will regret ever writing this.

Reign of Terrier
December 17th, 2018, 03:07 PM
I'll admit I root against NDSU except when they play MVFC opponents (for reasons I need not get into here). It's not because I hate NDSU, I really just want some novelty back in this subdivision. I want NDSU to leave for FBS because it's boring. It would literally take a 5 year absence from the FCS playoffs (or at least, like, the quarterfinals) for me to feel like the result isn't in doubt.

I'm skeptical that my team will ever win a title regardless of what NDSU does, but I'm almost certain it won't happen so long as they are the machine they are.

ST_Lawson
December 17th, 2018, 03:21 PM
This hasn't been the case at EWU with the one of the and sometimes lowest athletics budget and endowment in the Big Sky. It's a teachers and social workers college where too many alumni are Gonzaga Basketball and Wazzu season ticket holders. We play in a high school stadium, the training room needs serious upgrades, we have no football center and teams have march a half mile backwards, uphill, through snow to reach the locker rooms at halftime. Our coaches are extremely underpaid and have had to sleep on friends couches for recruiting trips We have cookie sales and lemonade stands as important fundraisers. Yet...........

I'm adopting WIU as my second favorite team. If we can do it, anyone can.

Fair enough. Sounds like we're in a pretty similar situation, although you guys are able to swing about $1.8M more at your football program than we do. I've just gotten to the point where it feels like actually winning the conference or making a deep run into the playoffs is not likely to happen. Also doesn't help that our home attendance has essentially dropped off a cliff the last few years (along with our enrollment).

Do you think having Spokane fairly close helps your attendance at all? Like, EWU probably has a decent number of alumni in the Spokane area that are close enough to attend games on a regular basis, although I know that a larger city also means more other things to do...more distractions and stuff.

ASU33
December 17th, 2018, 03:39 PM
No. Plain and simple

ASU33
December 17th, 2018, 03:43 PM

Most ADs were happy because it opened the door to schedule more regional FCS teams and more HBCU rivalry games. Very few teams outside of Mississippi Valley and UAPB load up on guarantee games. The scheduling helped us set up a series with Kennesaw State and SC State upcoming.

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Can you share the link for the budget information - I did not see that info.

As for Georgetown, they played nobody of note this year. Stats do lie.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/

Stats can lie but Georgetown's defense is much better than you may give it credit for, and there are PL fans that can attest to it. The offense? Ugh. The offensive coordinator (the former OC at Clemson before Dabo became head coach) moved the needle from 118th to 121st. Go figure.

As to scheduling, it's a two way street. A lot of schools just don't want to play Georgetown--no gain in doing so. What do you do then? You take what you can get.

citdog
December 17th, 2018, 03:54 PM
It's hilarious that a school run by the Jesuit cult claims they have no money.

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2018, 05:06 PM
It's hilarious that a school run by the Jesuit cult claims they have no money.

Overruled. xsmashx

There's money, but it's not in scholarships. All its aid money is based on need, because most parents aren't writing a $70,000 check every fall.

semobison
December 17th, 2018, 05:10 PM
How does the old saying go. Everyone roots for the underdog if they don't have a dog in the fight. I can understand why many other FCS fans will be pulling for EWU and if they pull an upset in a close game, FCS football will be exiting again!

POD Knows
December 17th, 2018, 05:23 PM
How does the old saying go. Everyone roots for the underdog if they don't have a dog in the fight. I can understand why many other FCS fans will be pulling for EWU and if they pull an upset in a close game, FCS football will be exiting again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8j_TxlIrkg

cx500d
December 17th, 2018, 05:41 PM
I for one never get tired of whupping someone's ass. I absolutely HATE games that are decided in the last second; its bad for the heart and the gastrointestinal tract.

UNHWildcat18
December 17th, 2018, 06:06 PM

An excellent question, I admit even with NDSU in the title game I was more excited for this title game than most of NDSU's previous wins. I was excited it was a CAA team and a team that could keep up with/beat NDSU as they showed in the previous season and all markers pointed to them being able to again.

citdog
December 17th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Overruled. xsmashx

There's money, but it's not in scholarships. All its aid money is based on need, because most parents aren't writing a $70,000 check every fall.

Jesus would want to win.

kalm
December 18th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Fair enough. Sounds like we're in a pretty similar situation, although you guys are able to swing about $1.8M more at your football program than we do. I've just gotten to the point where it feels like actually winning the conference or making a deep run into the playoffs is not likely to happen. Also doesn't help that our home attendance has essentially dropped off a cliff the last few years (along with our enrollment).

Do you think having Spokane fairly close helps your attendance at all? Like, EWU probably has a decent number of alumni in the Spokane area that are close enough to attend games on a regular basis, although I know that a larger city also means more other things to do...more distractions and stuff.

It has to help but at the same time it's frustrating we don't get more especially with the success we've had. At one time there were supposedly more EWU alumni in Spokane than Wazzu, Idaho, and Gonzaga combined - around 35,000. You'd think we could at least average over 15,000. But perceptually, Cheney is still way out there in the netherlands (even though it's 20 minutes from downtown). Part of the problem is also the stadium. The middle sections of the main grandstand have seat backs but the rest is metal bleachers on concrete or erector set metal bleachers for the north end zone and tiny visitors side. Those are the GA seats so for the occasional fan it's not the best look or comfort. And despite the fantastic view, it's just not impressive looking.

But at least this year was by far the best semi crowd we've had. Almost sold out. And the tailgating scene is truly great. You can't buy a spot within a mile of the stadium and tons of great set ups and parties. So I remain optimistic.

Despite all these deficits, we've done well and other programs like WIU can too. Much of it starts with lucking into terrific coaches who create the right type of culture for the program regardless of what we have or don't have.

Professor
December 18th, 2018, 09:20 AM
It may certainly be the best choice for the programs that participate, and some years it maybe competitive and a great game. However, most years I think the best FCS postseason game comes from a matchup in the FCS playoffs.

You might be talking football purity but from a numbers standpoint and a ratings stand point, this has already been proven. This year will be no different

BEAR
December 18th, 2018, 03:01 PM
FCS hasnt become boring.

FCS playoffs really have become monotonous. Not NDSUs fault but it has turned that way for nearly a decade now. They will get better once teams step up.

But the regular season is still worth watching.

POD Knows
December 18th, 2018, 05:50 PM
FCS hasnt become boring.

FCS playoffs really have become monotonous. Not NDSUs fault but it has turned that way for nearly a decade now. They will get better once teams step up.

But the regular season is still worth watching.NDSU is going to lose this year in Frisco, it is preordained. It is a lock, streaks end, new champs are crowned. After 2018, the FCS will no longer be boring, #BOOKIT.

BEAR
December 18th, 2018, 07:38 PM
NDSU is going to lose this year in Frisco, it is preordained. It is a lock, streaks end, new champs are crowned. After 2018, the FCS will no longer be boring, #BOOKIT.

xlolx #bookit