PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern put on probation

Reign of Terrier
October 16th, 2018, 02:20 PM
No worries, they are still playoff eligible, but looking at how they played against Savannah State, does it matter?

http://www.live5news.com/2018/10/16/ncaa-places-charleston-southern-years-probation/

walliver
October 16th, 2018, 02:30 PM
It probably doesn’t matter. I have Kennesaw pencilled in for the Big South championship for the next 5-10 years.

55 athletes in 12 sports appears to be a complete institutional failure.

Outsider1
October 16th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Ouch, I still remember when we got put on probation and had to officially give up pretty much an entire football season of wins (erased from existence), among many other things, back in 2009. That whole thing is still painful...

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/ktab-news/acu-on-probation-for-ncaa-infractions/102963338

UpstateBison
October 16th, 2018, 03:50 PM
It probably doesn’t matter. I have Kennesaw pencilled in for the Big South championship for the next 5-10 years.

55 athletes in 12 sports appears to be a complete institutional failure.

I think UNA will be a good FCS program after their 5 year transition. They have some talent after watching them play NDSU this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go...gate
October 16th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Little Charleston Southern is on probation, yet I'd hazard a guess that far worse stuff is going on at many Power 5 schools.

ElCid
October 16th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Ouch! Story in Post and Courier. Plus the 29 page report. This is not good for them at all. Recoverable, but one has to wonder if they do recover. At least in the next 3-8 years. The problem is if they did these things, and they had an actual impact on their success, it can addictive. What's to stop them from slipping again. One hopes they will have learned their lesson.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ncaa-hits-charleston-southern-with-two-years-probation-loss-of/article_17b7b6a4-d16f-11e8-b2c6-a389754c8440.html

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2018, 04:39 PM
This just in....Dateline: Charleston, SC - The bellhops are celebrating in the streets of Charleston. They’re partying like it’s 1861 (April 13, to be exact).

They may get to expunge 4 losses in a row to ChuckSouth - 2013, 2014, and 2x in 2015. Upon hearing of this development & realizing this means they no longer were (officially) eliminated from the 2015 playoffs by Charleston Southern, they are already re-mustering their 2015 Team to march on Jacksonville, AL spoiling for a fight to restore their honor. Then, they plan to march on West & lay siege to Huntsville, TX, followed by a march north to Frisco, TX & a showdown with some Dakota Yankees they’ve invited down & challenged to an 11 on 11 duel.

Hide your women & children, citdog is returning from his Costa Rican estate, where he has been in exile, to lead this westward charge.

Classes at The Citadel have been canceled until ill-begotten playoff wins are avenged, bellhop honor restored, and the unpleasantness of 2015 corrected. “That other unpleasantness, the one of 1865, is on deck,” citdog fervently exclaimed, while in transit to Charleston in an authentic replica of the of the CSA H. L. Hunley. (Pictured below - citdog, far left)

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13302905_f496.jpg

CSU_Buc_81
October 16th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Ouch! Story in Post and Courier. Plus the 29 page report. This is not good for them at all. Recoverable, but one has to wonder if they do recover. At least in the next 3-8 years. The problem is if they did these things, and they had an actual impact on their success, it can addictive. What's to stop them from slipping again. One hopes they will have learned their lesson.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ncaa-hits-charleston-southern-with-two-years-probation-loss-of/article_17b7b6a4-d16f-11e8-b2c6-a389754c8440.html

I can assure you no player or coach at CSU intentionally broke NCAA rules. Especially not to gain any advantage over other schools. It is unfortunate that the players and coaches that put in all the work are the ones getting punished. All of the admins who were responsible for this failure with compliance are gone. Compliance guy left two years ago, President and AD left last year. The NCAA can do nothing to punish the people who are responsible.

Outsider1
October 16th, 2018, 08:45 PM
CSU_Buc_81, that isn't that abnormal and intent doesn't really change anything. We weren't intending to break rules when we did. As individuals and as an institution we simply accepted, learned and moved on.

clenz
October 16th, 2018, 09:03 PM
6 total scholarships over 2 years is 3 a year.

The extreme majority of schools don't fill 63 scholarships before fall camp (filling out by handing to walk-ons...if filling all 63 at all).

That's hardly a real loss.

I remember when Montana got hit with the same penalty for their hot dog incident. It didn't matter. They only only use (or at least at that point) 57-60 per year anyway.

The bigger issue is the PR hit that this has - plus the extra NCAA scrutiny of probation and every little thing being looked over for those years.

MTfan4life
October 17th, 2018, 04:36 AM
Losing to Savannah State by 20 points should have been reason enough to put them on probation. Just 3 years ago, CSU was an 8 seed in the FCS playoffs!

The Yo Show
October 17th, 2018, 05:25 AM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-top-fcs-program-hit-with-probation-scholarship-reduction-stemming-from-losing-money-in-ponzi-scheme/

The Yo Show
October 17th, 2018, 05:28 AM
"According to a footnote on page 10 of the NCAA’s report on Charleston Southern (https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/enforcement/infractions/decisions/Oct2018INF_CharlestonSouthern-PublicInfractionsDecision.pdf), the school claimed it couldn’t hire enough resources to handle compliance due to losing $10 million in a Ponzi scheme"

Apparently among the list of things the ncaa does not find an acceptable reason to not be compliant are a dog ate my compliance champion AND now we lost 10 million in a Ponzi scheme and couldn't afford the salary for a compliance staff member.

WestCoastAggie
October 17th, 2018, 07:10 AM
So this doesn’t just happen to HBCUS.

walliver
October 17th, 2018, 09:23 AM
The real problem is that CSU didn't run their athletic department like a D-I program.

It is admirable that they have had some D-I success while running athletics with D-2 facilities and administration.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2018, 09:25 AM
The real problem is that CSU didn't run their athletic department like a D-I program.

It is admirable that they have had some D-I success while running athletics with D-2 facilities and administration.This makes it look especially bad coming from a Wofford fan (I know we pay our coaches terribly)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Catatonic
October 17th, 2018, 09:47 AM
CSU_Buc_81, that isn't that abnormal and intent doesn't really change anything. We weren't intending to break rules when we did. As individuals and as an institution we simply accepted, learned and moved on.

It’s true that ACU’s track violations were unintentional. The assistant football coach who provided academic assistance allegedly knew what he was doing was wrong, which is one reason why there was opposition to bringing him back as our HC even though he has gone on to be a successful head coach elsewhere.

Outsider1
October 17th, 2018, 10:05 AM
It’s true that ACU’s track violations were unintentional. The assistant football coach who provided academic assistance allegedly knew what he was doing was wrong, which is one reason why there was opposition to bringing him back as our HC even though he has gone on to be a successful head coach elsewhere.

True, our problems extended to community members as well as faculty and staff though, which is why intent didn't really matter. The infractions happened. It just goes to show there are so many things that go into running successful and compliant athletic programs at any given level.

Catatonic
October 17th, 2018, 10:25 AM
True, our problems extended to community members as well as faculty and staff though, which is why intent didn't really matter. The infractions happened. It just goes to show there are so many things that go into running successful and compliant athletic programs at any given level.

agreed.

On another note....I would not not be surprised to find our former assistant FB coach taking over at SFA or another Southland school before long.

Outsider1
October 17th, 2018, 10:27 AM
agreed.

On another note....I would not not be surprised to find our former assistant FB coach taking over at SFA or another Southland school before long.

That would be interesting...

ksu_owls
October 17th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Does this make KSU the 2016 Conference Champs? If so, we are going for 3 in a row this season instead of back to back! woooo

CSU_Buc_81
October 17th, 2018, 05:32 PM

It is admirable that they have had some D-I success while running athletics with D-2 facilities and administration.

Wofford hasn't been to CSU in 7 or 8 years. A lot has changed since then, plenty of improvements around the entire athletic department. Also, plenty more to come. the difference from 7/8 years ago to now is almost night and day.

CSU_Buc_81
October 17th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Does this make KSU the 2016 Conference Champs? If so, we are going for 3 in a row this season instead of back to back! woooo

I have been told that no ineligibles played in the 2016 season so that championship is not being contested. That is coming by word of mouth so we will see if it holds up.