PDA

View Full Version : 2018 MVFC Pick 'em: Week 8

Professor Chaos
October 15th, 2018, 08:51 PM
Sorry once again for the delay. 5dimes apparently doesn't really care when they get the FCS betting lines up as they've been posted anywhere from mid-afternoon CT on Monday early in the season to 5-6PM CT lately to not at all on Monday this week so I'll put up the picks for those who want to pick straight up and I'll update the OP when the lines come out. If you can't wait to make your straight up picks and want to pick against the spread as well when those lines get posted just make your straight up picks in one post now and then quote yourself with your spread picks when you make those later in the week.

Here's the MVFC slate (2 big matchups... the 3 others not so much):

Away Team
Home Team
Favorite
Day
Time (CT)
TV

Indiana State
Southern Illinois
SIU by 6
Sat 10/20
2PM
ESPN+

Western Illinois
Missouri State
MSU by 4
Sat 10/20
2PM
ESPN+

Illinois State
North Dakota State
NDSU by 13.5
Sat 10/20
2:30PM
ESPN+

South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
SDSU by 3
Sat 10/20
4PM
ESPN3

South Dakota
Youngstown State
USD by 4.5
Sat 10/20
5PM
ESPN+

Here's the copy/paste list:

Indiana State @ Southern Illinois (-6)
Western Illinois @ Missouri State (-4)
Illinois State @ North Dakota State (-13.5)
South Dakota State (-3) @ Northern Iowa
South Dakota (-4.5) @ Youngstown State

As usual feel free to pick straight up, against the spread (once I get the lines posted), or both. If you missed the standings after week 7 you can find them here: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?214718-2018-MVFC-Pick-em-Week-7&p=2691147&viewfull=1#post2691147

And here's everyone's records against the spread to date this year:

Team
W
L
Win %

ISUb
83.3%

ISUr
83.3%

SDSU
80.0%

NDSU
66.7%

MSU
50.0%

UNI
50.0%

SIU
33.3%

USD
33.3%

WIU
16.7%

YSU
16.7%

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 15th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Some tough games to pick this week....might have to think about these....xchinscratchx

bonarae
October 15th, 2018, 09:52 PM
Indiana State @ Southern Illinois
Western Illinois @ Missouri State
Illinois State @ North Dakota State
South Dakota State @ Northern Iowa
South Dakota @ Youngstown State

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2018, 06:49 AM
Updated the OP with the spreads. Only one game this week outside a 6 point spread so might get some good movement in the straight up pick standings this week.

Sycamore62
October 16th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Straight up
Indiana State @ Southern Illinois (-6) I looked at 5dimes and thought we were favored by 6 and thought that seemed right.

Spread

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2018, 08:56 AM
Indiana State @ Southern Illinois (-6) I looked at 5dimes and thought we were favored by 6 and thought that seemed right.
I didn't check them again until this morning so it is possible it swung but that would be an awfully big swing just overnight.

Are you picking against the spread this week or just straight up? Assuming if you're picking against the spread you have all winners covering then?

Sycamore62
October 16th, 2018, 08:59 AM
I didn't check them again until this morning so it is possible it swung but that would be an awfully big swing just overnight.

Are you picking against the spread this week or just straight up? Assuming if you're picking against the spread you have all winners covering then?

no you are right, I just expected to be favored. ill fix my picks to be more obvious

...fixed

CappinHard
October 16th, 2018, 09:21 AM

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Indiana State @ Southern Illinois (-6) - I was impressed with ISUb's defense last week. I think they snap their 14 game MVFC losing streak this week at the same place their last conference victory came at.

Western Illinois @ Missouri State (-4) - These teams seem to be trending in opposite directions of this pick but I just think WIU, with their backs against the wall, finds a way to eke out a road win.

Illinois State @ North Dakota State (-13.5) - I've picked against the Bison in the spread the last 2 weeks and they've covered so I supposed this is the week where they won't.

South Dakota State (-3) @ Northern Iowa - This is going to be an interesting game but UNI's defense has shown some chinks in the armor and SDSU has the offense to take advantage of that. It's kind of telling that the 5dimes O/U in this game is 63... there will be a lot of points scored.

South Dakota (-4.5) @ Youngstown State - Kind of a dart throw here... gonna go with the home team who desperately needs a win. USD's offense is stymied like they were against Weber St.

mvfcfan
October 16th, 2018, 09:45 AM
Straight Up

Southern Illinois (really want to pick ISU, but with it being SIU's homecoming and us not being able to close out games I just don't know about this one)
Missouri State
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota

ST_Lawson
October 16th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Straight

Spread

Noryan34
October 16th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Bold = straight Underline = spread

Bison56
October 16th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Indiana State
Missouri State
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
South Dakota

birdsflyhigh
October 16th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Am surprised how many fans are picking WIU > MSU. Very important game for the Bears program as they've got a fighting chance to make the playoffs.

Anyhow, go Birds this Saturday out in Fargo! :)

Bisonator
October 16th, 2018, 02:28 PM

TheKingpin28
October 16th, 2018, 02:50 PM

Bold is my straight up
Red is my spread

footballer23
October 16th, 2018, 04:30 PM
Southern Illinois (-6) to win, Indiana State to cover
Western Illinois to win
North Dakota State (-13.5) to win, Illinois State to cover
South Dakota State (-3) to win and cover (I'd be OK with being wrong on this one)
South Dakota (-4.5) to win and cover

Preferred Walk-On
October 16th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Bold (win outright); Underlined (beat spread):

Evolution Prime
October 17th, 2018, 03:38 AM
Indiana State
Missouri State
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Youngstown State

mango433
October 17th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Illinois State @ North Dakota State (-13.5).

ST_Lawson
October 17th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Am surprised how many fans are picking WIU > MSU. Very important game for the Bears program as they've got a fighting chance to make the playoffs.

Anyhow, go Birds this Saturday out in Fargo! :)

It's important for both teams, I'd say. Either could make the playoffs, although likely not both.
WIU needs to win out to make the playoffs: MSU, UNI, SIU, USD, INSU
MSU needs to win probably 3 out of 5 to make it: WIU, SIU, SDSU, NDSU, UNI
So, they likely need to beat WIU, SIU, and UNI. If they drop one of those, then they'd have to beat either SDSU or NDSU.

MSU has a small bit of wiggle room. WIU has none.

Redbird 4th & short
October 17th, 2018, 09:04 AM
It's important for both teams, I'd say. Either could make the playoffs, although likely not both.
WIU needs to win out to make the playoffs: MSU, UNI, SIU, USD, INSU
MSU needs to win probably 3 out of 5 to make it: WIU, SIU, SDSU, NDSU, UNI
So, they likely need to beat WIU, SIU, and UNI. If they drop one of those, then they'd have to beat either SDSU or NDSU.

MSU has a small bit of wiggle room. WIU has none.

MoST has a D-II win .. so they sit 3-2 currently, not 4-2

MoST has definitely improved considerably, but they just caught us in one of our Mr Hyde moments in 1st half. PLayers came out very flat. And we didn't just get out-played, we got our game planned and out-coached .. still had a chance win or tie on final drive.

Point being, now that MoST got everyone's attention with 40-9 win over NAU (excl Cookus) and 3 point win over my ISUr, top teams will likely be more ready for them. I think they will struggle with WIU, and then still have to finish season @SDSU, NDSU, @UNI ... very good chance of 3 losses there alone.

WIU has much easier path from here ... only truly tough game is UNI at home. If WIU figures out their OL and run game issues, they could make a run. So my money is on WIU over MoST from here on out given SOS alone. 3 of your 5 games are against the 3 worst MVFC run defenses and total defenses.

So it gets much easier from here for WIU. Not at all for MoST .. quite the opposite. BTW, ISUr also has their 3 toughest remaining games the next 3 weeks ... so that applies to us too.

ST_Lawson
October 17th, 2018, 09:23 AM

MoST has definitely improved considerably, but they just caught us in one of our Mr Hyde moments in 1st half. PLayers came out very flat. And we didn't just get out-played, we got our game planned and out-coached .. still had a chance win or tie on final drive.

Point being, now that MoST got everyone's attention with 40-9 win over NAU (excl Cookus) and 3 point win over my ISUr, top teams will likely be more ready for them. I think they will struggle with WIU, and then still have to finish season @SDSU, NDSU, @UNI ... very good chance of 3 losses there alone.

WIU has much easier path from here ... only truly tough game is UNI at home. If WIU figures out their OL and run game issues, they could make a run. So my money is on WIU over MoST from here on out given SOS alone. 3 of your 5 games are against the 3 worst MVFC run defenses and total defenses.

So it gets much easier from here for WIU. Not at all for MoST .. quite the opposite. BTW, ISUr also has their 3 toughest remaining games the next 3 weeks ... so that applies to us too.

Oh right, forgot they played DII Lincoln...that was that weird early afternoon game during the week because of incoming storms. I agree that nobody is overlooking MSU now. So really, MSU needs to find a way to beat WIU, SIU, UNI, and they have to somehow beat either SDSU or NDSU. 5 straight wins in the MVFC are never easy, but I like our chances with our schedule over MSU getting to 7 wins with their schedule. Obviously you have to take every game one at a time, but I'm most worried about UNI and USD. I feel like we're roughly "on par" with them (maybe that's optimistic...idk), so it could go either way. We play UNI in the vast emptiness that is Hanson Field these days, but USD up at their place. It's no Fargodome, but it could get a bit rowdy up there, especially if they're still in the playoff hunt (which they would be if they beat YSU and INSU).

I think our run game issues are mostly from the young O-line, plus playing against really good run defenses like NDSU and ILSU. Our O-Line starters include 1 senior, 1 redshirt sophomore, and 3 redshirt freshmen. That could be great in a couple of years when they're all juniors and seniors, but for now, it's a bit rough on our running game. Hopefully with the softer run defenses coming up, we'll be able to get a few things going that direction.

POD Knows
October 17th, 2018, 11:20 AM

Sycamore62
October 17th, 2018, 12:21 PM
any idea what the result would be to this point if you just took the favorite to win and cover all year?

CappinHard
October 17th, 2018, 02:58 PM
any idea what the result would be to this point if you just took the favorite to win and cover all year?

Fav. ATS 24-19 (plus 1 pick em game)
Fav. SU 36-7 (plus 1 pick em game)

DA BEAR
October 17th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Straight Up

Indiana State
Western Illinois
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
South Dakota

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2018, 08:13 PM
Southern Illinois

Missouri State

North Dakota State

Northern Iowa

South Dakota

where is Kenny Stabler when you need him, at least he could throw darts

REALBird
October 17th, 2018, 08:34 PM
Straight Up
Indiana State. (SIU hasn’t looked good since Ole Miss. Picking the Trees)
Missouri State (WIU still licking their wounds from last two weeks)
NDSU (My heart says pick your team, but yeah....)
SDSU (not enuf butt left to sit on after playing down at ISUb. They win BIG)
USD prevails (darn these are hard this week)

Spread
Indiana State (not sure SIU is playing 6 pts better than anyone.)
Missouri State (don’t make me regret it. 3 pts better than ISUr so give them the extra digit vs WIU)
Illinois State (grrrrrr......homer pick prevails)
SDSU covers (no late season UNI Magic this year)
YSU covers (Bo’s mouth is taped shut to avoid pushing his kicker out of range and they cover)

BisonTru
October 17th, 2018, 11:01 PM
Straight Up:

Spread:

dustinthorn93
October 17th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Southern Illinois
Missouri State
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
South Dakota

skinny_uncle
October 18th, 2018, 06:22 AM

SUPharmacist
October 18th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Straight Up:
Indiana State
Missouri State
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota

Spread:
Indiana State
Western Illinois
Illinois State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota

Gil Dobie
October 18th, 2018, 06:38 AM

Paladin1aa
October 18th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Southern Illinois
Missouri St.
North Dakota St.
Northern Iowa
South Dakota

Schism55
October 18th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Southern Illinois
Missouri State
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota

Redbird 4th & short
October 18th, 2018, 01:39 PM
now there's a man with some wisdom and courage .. Redbirds have gotten several picks against the spread, but I think this is first straight up pick for Redbirds ... even RealBird (aka e tu Brutus) picked NDSU straight-up, but partially redeemed himself picking Redbirds against the spread. Spoiler alert .. I'll be picking my Redbirds in both.

Redbird 4th & short
October 18th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Straight

Indiana State @ Southern Illinois (-6) ... i was so impressed that Straub stayed in our game to finish - he has no intention of giving up on season; SIU wins high scoring game
Western Illinois @ Missouri State (-4) ... flipped a coin, best 2 of 3, then 4 of 7, then decided to go back to 2 of 3 .. then asked Mrs Fourth which color uniform, nickname, or mascot she liked better. that's how she picks March Madness and Kentucky Derby.
Illinois State @ North Dakota State (-13.5) .. I think I'm already mathematically eliminated so why not

Spread - had a very good week 7, so I'm rescinding my official protest ... subject to change

Illinois State @ North Dakota State (-13.5) .. this pick I fully believe

toughest week so far .. partly because my Redbirds were only team over 6 point spread.

JacksFan40
October 18th, 2018, 02:30 PM

ST_Lawson
October 18th, 2018, 04:09 PM
... then asked Mrs Fourth which color uniform, nickname, or mascot she liked better. that's how she picks March Madness and Kentucky Derby.

And she picked maroon over purple?...really?

Redbird 4th & short
October 18th, 2018, 04:51 PM
And she picked maroon over purple?...really?
sorry, but it matched our shutters ... what idiot would would have purple shutters ???

Other than in Macomb maybe ?

ST_Lawson
October 18th, 2018, 04:54 PM
sorry, but it matched our shutters ... what idiot would would have purple shutters ???

Other than in Macomb maybe ?

Oh fine...that would be rather strange. It's something I'd do, but it's still strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpstateBison
October 19th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Straight:

Southern Illinois
Missouri State
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
South Dakota

Spread:
Southern Illinois
Missouri State
Illinois State
South Dakota State
South Dakota

cx500d
October 19th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Indiana State
Western Illinois
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MSUDuo
October 19th, 2018, 01:09 PM

So are you saying a 7-4, or 6-4 if you shall, and 5-3 in the Valley wouldn't make the playoffs?

Obviously a long shot but just curious

BisonTru
October 19th, 2018, 01:30 PM
So are you saying a 7-4, or 6-4 if you shall, and 5-3 in the Valley wouldn't make the playoffs?

You guys would have decent resume as you will have to beat either NDSU/SDSU/orUNI.

Plus NAU is flirting with being a potential playoff team and ISU is looking like a playoff team.

Multiple wins against playoff teams could get you in with only 6 wins, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
October 19th, 2018, 02:14 PM

I think you'd have a shot, but with only 6 DI wins it's a stretch.
I don't think it's likely that a true 6-win MVFC team is making the playoffs this year, and 7 wins with 1 being DII is barely better than 6-wins in the committees eyes, from what I've seen. Would probably depend heavily on what happens on the edges of the bubble.

You somehow pull together 7 DI wins (going 8-3 overall including 6-2 in the MVFC) and you're in for sure. A long shot, for sure, but not impossible considering how you did against Illinois State and how, for example, South Dakota State did against Indiana State.

I think you want to root for all of the teams in the middle to lose...hoping for just a couple of really good teams and then everyone else down at like 6 or fewer total wins.

FCSbuff319
October 19th, 2018, 04:57 PM
Southern Illinois
Missouri State
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota

The Yo Show
October 19th, 2018, 10:02 PM
Spread:

Straight Up:

Derby City Duke
October 19th, 2018, 10:53 PM
Straight Up

Indiana State
Western Illinois
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Youngstown State

Against the Spread

Indiana State (+6)
Western Illinois (+4)
North Dakota State (-13.5)
South Dakota State (-3)
Youngstown State (+4.5)

Expect these will send me spiraling down the standings, but I think I've been living on borrowed time anyway...

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2018, 04:20 AM
Straight up:

SIU
WIU
NDSU
SDSU
YSU

Redbird 4th & short
October 20th, 2018, 10:47 AM

Prior years, when MVFC was clearly the best conference top to bottom, I would say 6-4/5-3 should be a lock. This year, things have leveled a lot ... but yes, 5-3 in MVFC ought to be a lock, but lack of 7th win could push you (and us) off the bubble. I would say MoST has clear advantage over my ISUr (edit: if both finish 6-4) .. due to head-to-head, and at 7-4 that would further mean we were only 4-4 in MVFC .. despite our easy FBS win. Big Sky and Colonial are both stronger .. and Colonial looks deeper as well. Southern has slipped and Southland is all over the place this year. So with all the autobids and then certain conferences demaning more at large bids ... it will be a tough bubble for 7-4 teams maybe ... which means 6-4 teams like ours may be ,eaning wrong way. If it were my vote, any 5-3 MVFC team should be at large lock. But too much history of bad decisions from the committee, most going against MVFC ... granted, they've gotten a little better due to lot of kicking and screaming since as recently as 2013, when we were top conference and got just 2 teams, same in 2011.

But I digress, landscape is leveling in FCS .. probably going to be a much tougher bubble year.

Both of us have tough SOS rest of year .. yours tougher than ours. I happen to like our chances given our defense seems to be coming around much better than we thought.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2018, 09:29 PM
Had some big movement this week in both the straight up and spread picks. No one had a perfect week in the straight up picks although 4 of us went 4 for 5 and BisonTru gave up his lead. Same in the spread although Derby City Duke (come on... how are we letting a CAA guy lead in both??? :)) has now taken sole possession of the top spot.

Here's the full standings for the straight up picks:

Rank
Username
Right
Wrong
Right %
W1-5
W7
W8
W9

Derby City Duke
81.6%

mango433
81.6%

Professor Chaos
81.6%

Bisonator
79.6%

BisonTru
79.6%

footballer23
77.6%

ST_Lawson
77.6%

Bison Fan in NW MN
75.5%

Bison56
75.5%

bonarae
75.5%

cx500d
75.5%

DA BEAR
75.5%

mvfcfan
75.5%

Noryan34
75.5%

Paladin1aa
75.5%

Preferred Walk-On
75.5%

CappinHard
73.5%

caribbeanhen
73.5%

FCSbuff319
73.5%

Gil Dobie
73.5%

REALBird
73.5%

SUPharmacist
73.5%

The Yo Show
73.5%

Evolution Prime
71.4%

POD Knows
71.4%

TheKingpin28
71.4%

Schism55
69.4%

Redbird 4th & short
67.3%

Sycamore62
67.3%

dustinthorn93
65.3%

UpstateBison
69.6%

skinny_uncle
64.6%

dewey
68.2%

JacksFan40
65.0%

ysubigred
70.6%

JSUSoutherner
74.2%

maninthehighcastle
67.6%

Twentysix
73.3%

mmiller_34
76.5%

Here's the full standings for the spread picks:

Rank
Username
Right
Wrong
Right%
W1-5
W6
W7
W8

Derby City Duke
63.3%

mango433
61.2%

Professor Chaos
57.1%

REALBird
57.1%

ST_Lawson
57.1%

TheKingpin28
57.1%

Preferred Walk-On
55.1%

Sycamore62
55.1%

Redbird 4th & short
53.1%

Bisonator
51.0%

CappinHard
51.0%

The Yo Show
49.0%

BisonTru
46.9%

Noryan34
46.9%

POD Knows
46.9%

footballer23
44.9%

SUPharmacist
44.9%

dewey
43.2%

UpstateBison
41.3%

Drblankstare
58.6%

Twentysix
50.0%

ysubigred
57.9%

Let me know if you see any mistakes. I'll have the week 9 slate up by Monday afternoon/early evening hopefully (as long as 5dimes gets the spreads up on time).