PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons Taking On Patriot League

Lehigh Football Nation
March 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I have a feeling that my piece on the Patriot League - yet again - is going to be fiddled by circumstances as Bill Simmons, apparently, started to weigh in on the Patriot League (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons).

Finally, a few Holy Cross alums passed along the Southern Illinois recap in Ralph Willard's Web site in which he inadvertently proves the point of my upcoming magazine column:

"As a coach I want to win every game, and have a mind-set that every game can be won. I am never satisfied with losing any game. However, as a coach and as a realist recognizing our limited resources, facilities, exposure, and support, what is even more important to me is how we go about trying to obtain that objective. I want our kids to get better mentally and physically as they go through this program. I want them [to] give their best effort no matter what the venue or who the opponent is. I want them to care about how they represent themselves, their families and our school. I want them to understand the selflessness of making the whole better than the sum of the parts. I want them to learn lessons that will serve them in their after school life, and I want them to believe they can always do better.

"Basically I want them to have an 'overachieve mind-set,' that helps shape who they are. We don't have the most heavily recruited players in our program and rarely any with exceptional natural ability. We have no innate advantages over the rest of the programs in Div. I, and some real physical and fiscal disadvantages. What we do have is young men who work very hard every day to define how the Holy Cross program competes. That to me is what I ultimately care about. That to me is what is really important. That is the tradition of this program this group lived up to and helped carry on."

Look, I agree with everything in those two paragraphs. He's approaching a thankless job the right way. He's a good man and a good coach. Everyone agrees.

I just have two questions …

Why should Holy Cross basketball have a degree of difficulty every season? Who decided this was a good idea? "We don't have the most heavily recruited players in our program and rarely any with exceptional natural ability. We have no innate advantages over the rest of the programs in Div. I, and some real physical and fiscal disadvantages." Why? Why is this an acceptable reality? I keep getting e-mails from Holy Cross students imploring me to be more supportive of our program. Really? I should be more supportive of a situation in which the coach openly admits that he's trying to win with subpar recruits and some legitimate physical and fiscal disadvantages? That's an acceptable direction?

Anyway, we're running my magazine column tomorrow. Just keep in mind -- my problem isn't with the players, the coach, or the character/resolve/dignity of the team. My problem is the situation itself. Back in the '80s, when the Jesuits inexplicably decided to cripple sports at Holy Cross and kill our famous rivalry with BC, their explanation was that we needed to raise the school's profile as an academic/athletic institution. So we left the MAAC and joined the Patriot League, which was originally envisioned as a Division I version of the NESCAC (like a poor man's Ivy League with better sports). Well, guess what? That idea bombed. They should just change the name of the league to No-Man's-Land.

You know why I know this? Because the head coach of my basketball team just told me, "We don't have the most heavily recruited players in our program and rarely any with exceptional natural ability. We have no innate advantages over the rest of the programs in Div. I, and some real physical and fiscal disadvantages."

This isn't a new thing, either. When I was attending school there from 1988 to '92, nobody understood what was happening with the Patriot League move and our curious decision to scale back sports when the football and basketball teams were such an enormous part of the Holy Cross experience. At the time, the direction was sweepingly unpopular. I even wrote a newspaper column or two for the Crusader about it -- they were crippling our football and basketball programs for reasons that didn't make sense to anyone. Nearly two decades later, the reasons STILL don't make sense. It's the equivalent of a triathlete intentionally amputating his left leg, then continuing to compete while telling you, "Look at me, look at me. I'm doing this with one leg!" Admittedly, it's impressive and takes a ton of heart and courage. At the same time, HE STILL CHOPPED OFF HIS LEFT LEG FOR NO REASON. There's a difference between courage and abject stupidity.

That's where we are with Holy Cross sports right now. More to come tomorrow, when everything will finally make sense.

My two cents? He's treading into some dangerous waters here - ones I can't possibly agree with.

First of all, he sounds like some of those Holy Cross posters that think they should join the A-10 and all of a sudden will become on par with BC and UConn. Sorry, Virginia, that will never happen - and I've got news for you, if you had chosen to not become a part of the Patriot League in 1986, it STILL wouldn't have happened.

Second of all, Holy Cross isn't the only institution that "have no innate advantages over the rest of the programs in Div. I, and some real physical and fiscal disadvantages." One of those disadvantages is that, well, Holy Cross ACTUALLY CARES about academics and isn't willing to cut corners in order to have a winning program. Another is that Holy Cross is an expensive private school that has to find $45,000 per athlete rather than (say) less than $10,000 to attend University of Texas. When Willard talks about "financial disavantages", that's one major one.

Finally, if he still thinks the Patriot League is a cut-rate NESCAC, he's got a bit of studying to do.

Generally I like Bill Simmons, but he's going to get (at the very least) a post from me on this subject on my blog. Soon.

GannonFan
March 28th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Funniest line I've read in awhile:

It's the equivalent of a triathlete intentionally amputating his left leg, then continuing to compete while telling you, "Look at me, look at me. I'm doing this with one leg!"

Oh, and I don't agree, nor have I ever, with the notion that a school is at a financial disadvantage because tuition is higher. I certainly recognize that the Athletics Department gets dinged $45k for every scholarship athlete, but who are they paying that to? That's right, the university. And there's no way that the true marginal cost to educate a student is really $45k - that's just the market rate for tuition. In reality, that marginal cost is signficantly less so that a school that charges $45k for tuition isn't really paying much more, if they are paying more, than a school that charges $10k. It ends up being a bookkeeping charge, but not one that the school as a whole suffers from.

But I do agree with you with the reason why the Patriot League exists and what the mission is - it's still a greater forcus on the academics rather than the athletics and I think Simmons certainly misses that point. Of course, the triathlete line is still pretty funny. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
March 28th, 2007, 12:31 PM
.... And here it is (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070328&sportCat=ncb):

Just last week, my buddy Bish, an Amherst grad, was bragging that his old school won the D3 men's hoops title. Know what? I was jealous. And because that's about as low as you can go -- envying a D3 school -- I now believe Holy Cross should drop out of D1 and join the well-respected NESCAC. What's wrong with competing against the likes of Amherst, Middlebury and Williams? Aren't those the academics-first schools we're desperately trying to become? The truth is, we've belonged in that league for 15 years, ever since the People Who Run Holy Cross gutted the football team and killed school spirit to the point that students now e-mail alums telling them to take pride in a double-digit playoff loss.

It's a piece that's going to cause people grief. Serious grief. Yet to me, he falls in the same trap that these Ivy League guys (http://select.nytimes.com/search/restricted/article?res=FA0F11F93F5A0C748DDDA80994DE404482) fell into last November: lamenting the fact that they "coulda been a contender" if they had simply joined the Big East or they had built on their big football win over Army in '81 or the NIT championship in 1947 - "back when it meant something". Like the crustiest of athletic alums, Simmons is living in the past, not the present.

And he's going to get holy hell for his attempt at humor. Bank on it.

GannonFan
March 28th, 2007, 12:52 PM
.... And here it is (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070328&sportCat=ncb):

It's a piece that's going to cause people grief. Serious grief. Yet to me, he falls in the same trap that these Ivy League guys (http://select.nytimes.com/search/restricted/article?res=FA0F11F93F5A0C748DDDA80994DE404482) fell into last November: lamenting the fact that they "coulda been a contender" if they had simply joined the Big East or they had built on their big football win over Army in '81 or the NIT championship in 1947 - "back when it meant something". Like the crustiest of athletic alums, Simmons is living in the past, not the present.

Isn't the past that he's referring to not the DI, BCS-type past, but the era when Holy Cross was perhaps the best I-AA team in the land in the late 80's? I don't see where you draw the inference that he's reminiscent of anything but that, certainly not the Big East inference.

Go...gate
March 28th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Isn't the past that he's referring to not the DI, BCS-type past, but the era when Holy Cross was perhaps the best I-AA team in the land in the late 80's? I don't see where you draw the inference that he's reminiscent of anything but that, certainly not the Big East inference.

But it seems as if a lot of Cross alums love to fall back on that Big East "woulda coulda shoulda" stuff, even though they never seemed overly passionate about joining the Big East at the time of its 1979 formation. If there are Crusader alums that recall otherwise, please feel free to correct me.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 28th, 2007, 01:11 PM
GF, some additional backup info is included here:

Saved? Did I mention we haven't won an NCAA Tournament game since 1953? Sure, we've made four appearances since 2001, but only because the Patriot League gets an automatic bid. That makes it a disgrace when we don't make the field; this is the league, remember, that is home to Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate, Aquafresh and Crest. You think Bob Cousy and Tom Heinsohn were psyched that their alma mater made it all the way to the round of 64? You think the guys from the 1947 NCAA title team were relieved we lost to the Salukis by only 10? Please.

Now that full scholarships have been reinstated for basketball, and with only Bucknell challenging us for that automatic bid every winter, the Cross should be landing top New England recruits and emulating Gonzaga's success out West … and yet, it's not.

8. In 2010, accept the Big East's invitation to join their conference. So the invitation was extended in 1979. Belatedly, we'd be honored! Sayonara, Patriot League!

Saying Holy Cross should be the Gonzaga of the east? xrolleyesx

Go...gate
March 28th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Oh, please, not the damned "go to the NESCAC" argument again. There are some at Colgate that want us there as well. PLEASE, NEVER!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
March 28th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Oh, please, not the damned "go to the NESCAC" argument again. There are some at Colgate that want us there as well. PLEASE, NEVER!!!

To be fair, there's a lot of sarcasm in this article, though I'm not really sure where the sarcasm ends and the actual points begin. I don't think he really wants to be become part of the NESCAC - he would rather be the "Gonzaga of the East".

Marcus Garvey
March 28th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Holy Cross was, arguably, the ranking New England basketball "power" through the 70's., in as much as there were few New England schools in the Top 20. However, had they joined the Big East, I doubt they'd be competitive. The athletic departments at Holy Cross and Boston College in the 70's were similar, in terms of support and facilities. BC was and is a much larger undergraduate school and also has a graduate school.

Holy Cross is undergrad only with an enrollment of less than 3,000, playing in a "small" mid-size city that lacks it's own TV market. They wouldn't have stood a chance in the 80's. Even if they had joined, and hung on all this time, two things would have occurred:
1) They'd be the worst team most every year. Bascially, they'd be the Big East's version of St. Boneventure. Undersized, located in an isolated area (relative to the Big East's fat TV markets) and probably would have resorted to cheating.
2) Their football team would still be I-AA. Probably would be in the current CAA (successor to the Yankee Conf.). They wouldn't have had the support in '82 to avoid the NCAA forced reclassification.

In all fairness, Holy Cross clearly gave up the most when they joined the Patriot. For the other 4 (Bucknell, Colgate, Lehigh and Lafayette), it was a lateral. For Army and Navy, since football wasn't involved, it didn't matter as much either. The PL has clearly been a downgrade for Holy Cross athletics.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 29th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Wanted to mention that the Holy Cross message board is in a tizzy over this...

http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/thread.php?forumid=33741&threadid=1577041&page=1

As well as HoopTime...

http://www.hooptimeonline.com/2007/03/is-this-guy-serious.html

And myself...

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Pard4Life
March 29th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Gonzaga of the East? Ok.. that's a good idea... I'm sure it was cited that the Zags have an abysmal graduation rate for their program.. and oh yeah, morons who gets busted for possessing dope.. last I checked, Spokane is huge and there are not many quality basketball programs out west.. you have BC, UConn and every other major east team in your backyard... try getting someone to Wocester..