PDA

View Full Version : JSU new field

Cocky
July 27th, 2005, 09:09 PM
http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/article.asp?articleid=69464

This a link to picture of the new field.

Bub
July 27th, 2005, 09:20 PM
That looks outstanding. Congrats. Drake's renovation is about at the May 18th stage. Now at least we know what were looking at as it progresses.

blur2005
July 27th, 2005, 09:29 PM
That looks really sharp.

eaglesrthe1
July 27th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Sweet looking facility. Nice tight confines, right on top of the action.

If Drake is at the 5/18 stage, they had better get to cracking. The season starts in 5 weeks. What if they run into a lot of rain delays?

Bub
July 27th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Sweet looking facility. Nice tight confines, right on top of the action.

If Drake is at the 5/18 stage, they had better get to cracking. The season starts in 5 weeks. What if they run into a lot of rain delays?

I don't think they're planing on getting it done on time. They've made arrangements to play their games on a local high school field. It's pretty impressive, seats 5-7,000 , with field turf. The expectation is maybe it will be ready for the last home game, but they're really shooting to be done for the Drake Relays in April. In planning this year, they only scheduled 4 home games to take the stadium work into account. It will be very nice when its done.

Eagle_77
July 28th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Looks very nice. I never saw the old field. Was is grass? How many does your stadium hold?

89Hen
July 28th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Those are some really nice digs Cocky! I'd have to say that it looks like one of the better designs in I-AA for it's capacity. A horseshoe with no track is the way to go IMO. Do you guys ever pack that thing? I do have to say that I was surprised to see the below picture. I had no idea that they actually installed different color turf for logos. I always assumed that they painted that on after the fact.
http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/images/articles/69464_0715056.jpg

JaxSinfonian
July 28th, 2005, 08:43 AM
It was grass, Eagle. You can see the old surface being scraped up in the photos at the bottom of the page Cocky posted.

Paul Snow seats 15,000, or so the media guide says. Record crowds have been a bit more than that, in the 16,000s.

Here are photos from 2003, I think.
http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/a/jax42/Paul-Snow-083102b.jpg

http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/a/jax42/Paul-Snow-083102a.jpg

Cocky
July 28th, 2005, 09:03 AM
There has been some talk of adding seats and suites. Possibly going anywhere from 21,000 to 26,000.

We are also redoing the fieldhouse which is almost done.

JSU is just starting to get the facilty to the D-1 level even though we move up over 10 years ago.

tsutiger
July 28th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Nice stadium. Good idea on the field turf. Will be less expensive in the long term.

McNeese75
July 28th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Last time I was at that stadium, the game was delayed because of weather and we were in the parking lot, rubbernecking looking for funnel clouds drinking our Budlite. :D

JSU02
July 28th, 2005, 09:31 AM
LOL, I remember that game. It had been rescheduled to lThanksgiving weekend because of Sept 11th. Late November-Early December is Alabama's second tornado season, and I believe a funnel cloud passed very near the stadium :eek:

McNeese75
July 28th, 2005, 09:43 AM
LOL, I remember that game. It had been rescheduled to lThanksgiving weekend because of Sept 11th. Late November-Early December is Alabama's second tornado season, and I believe a funnel cloud passed very near the stadium :eek:

Damn Close. We were looking at the sky and listening to the radio that kept saying it was heading right at us. But, the sky lightened up (some) and an MSU legend was born that day as Vic Kick proceeded to rush for over 200 yds in the mud in the second half.

winstoneagle
July 28th, 2005, 12:09 PM
nice stadium, I wish GSU would hurry up and do our renovation to our field house.

FL connection
July 28th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Great place to play/watch/experience college football......looking forward to the middle of November, in, hopefully, a meaningful game!!!! Just wish we didn't have to sit by the band......connection out!!

Grizo406
July 29th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Looks good, Cocky!

Can't help but love anything that's got "Snow" in it's title!

Killtoppers90
July 29th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Looks like a nice field there Cocky! Maybe we can get over there for a game sometime, especially if you are playing Eastern! Think the JSU fans would welcome a Topper to the ranks?

JaxSinfonian
July 29th, 2005, 08:20 AM
After 2003? I dunno, Killtoppers. That might be a stretch even for what we lovingly call "The Friendliest Campus in the South."

Ronbo
July 29th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Nice stadium. Good idea on the field turf. Will be less expensive in the long term.

Exactly! I read a study on initial cost of FieldTurf and then the low maintenance versus the high cost of maintenance on a grass surface. Although the cost of Fieldturf runs $800K to 1 Million, all you do is vacuum it and add to the rubber fillings every few years. They just dump them on the field and rake them in. The filings are small and they settle right into the grass.

With grass you have to have a grounds crew to mow, trim, water, seed, sod, fertilize, weed and bug control. This can run $50K to over a $100K a year depending on how intensive the care is. You can really see a difference in grass fields that are intensively cared for and the ones that are getting by on the cheap.

All the chems that it takes to have a beautiful grass field can be a health hazard too.