PDA

View Full Version : Southern Ill @ YSUThis weeks game

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2018, 09:05 AM
This weeks game is , IMHO, a toss up, pick em game. In preseason this was my pick to win for YSU. Now, with YSU fielding what appears to be their worst team in several decades, it appears to be only one of two remaining games ( ISUb) they have a chance to win. Both teams are 1-3. Both have shown decent pass games while showing woeful Ds. Yet YSUs major weakness is the D, especially the DBs. SIU has a tested senior QB who is putting up big numbers, so YSU D may give up big points as they did at WIU (45). In addition , the YSU run game was held to 55yds in a poor display by their OL.

Now, with the poor years of recruiting by Bozo on full display, I give YSU only home field advantage in a game that still can go either way. SIU is also a poor D team and QB VanGorder set several school records at WIU throwing for 418 yds and 2TDs. However, he also had 2 INTs and YSU lost a fumble. Those 3 turnovers were major in the loss to WIU. If they hope to win against SIU, turnovers must not happen. YSU lacks too much talent to overcome that disadvantage. YSUs kicking game continues to misfire and so, in what appears to be a close match up game ,could spell the difference.

My pick is YSU in a close one. Make your pick and discuss.

CappinHard
October 2nd, 2018, 09:27 AM
High scoring game. SIU wins by 4.

ST_Lawson
October 2nd, 2018, 10:37 AM
QB VanGorder set several school records at WIU throwing for 418 yds and 2TDs. However, he also had 2 INTs and YSU lost a fumble. Those 3 turnovers were major in the loss to WIU.

Also wanted to point out that there were two passes that VanGorder threw that were essentially right to WIU defenders that they inexplicably dropped. Like...no YSU players within 5+ yards...pass right to the midsection of a WIU defender, not deflected or thrown while getting hit, and the defender just dropped it. I think in one case the defender has his eyes on the end zone already because if he had it and got moving, it could have been a pick-6.

He had a lot of good passes in that game, but also quite a few very questionable ones. If he doesn't clean that up, I think SIU's Jeremy Chinn is going to feast on the YSU passing game.

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2018, 11:09 AM
Agree. VanGorder shows the rust of sitting on the Notre Dame bench for 4 years. Yet, he is the best YSU has at QB. Bozo has failed miserably at recruiting this position. YSU wins if he avoids throwing to SIU players. If he doesn’t , they will lose.

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2018, 07:34 PM
Game notes out only show one change on D. Crenshaw replaces Larkin a FS.

I also have to comment that listening to the YSU radio broadcast was a huge embarrassment. Hannon was his usual homer self, but Muransky came off as clueless for an analyst. His praise of the OL was laughable. When your OL blocking only gets 55 yds on a run heavy team and you say they are talented, it makes you appear to be a complete fool. Be a man, call it what it really is. YSU deserves scorn and ridicule, not praise. He11, man, the team is 1-3. Stop the homer foolishment.

bonarae
October 3rd, 2018, 03:04 AM
SIU will win by 7-10. Youngstown is the Midwestern FCS version of UNH, maybe?

Paladin1aa
October 3rd, 2018, 08:35 AM
Not sure about that,bonarae. It remains to be seen how SIU will fare against a poor YSU D. And how much YSU talent matches up against a SIU team not expected to be very good in the MVFC. They may be good enough to edge out a win on home field.

If the talent level has dropped at YSU because of Bozos poor recruiting, this game is of little consequence. Games against NDSU or SDSU might be better measuring sticks.

What is painfully obvious is if they are as bad as I think they are, the program has fallen off a steep cliff and next year will be even worse talent wise. That means the program will struggle for years just trying to get back to being competitive , much less making it back to the playoffs. It sure won’t happen if Bozo remains there to do the recruiting, lol.

Penguin Nation
October 3rd, 2018, 03:32 PM
Game notes out only show one change on D. Crenshaw replaces Larkin a FS.

I also have to comment that listening to the YSU radio broadcast was a huge embarrassment. Hannon was his usual homer self, but Muransky came off as clueless for an analyst. His praise of the OL was laughable. When your OL blocking only gets 55 yds on a run heavy team and you say they are talented, it makes you appear to be a complete fool. Be a man, call it what it really is. YSU deserves scorn and ridicule, not praise. He11, man, the team is 1-3. Stop the homer foolishment.

I listened to some of the broadcast. A half yard rushing gain was spoken as a glorious Olympic achievement. Absolutely hilarious. The 5th Quarter Show is a farce. All non-worshippers are cut off or scolded. It is spooky how no one dares speak ill of the sh— show known as Scum U FB.

Penguin Nation
October 3rd, 2018, 03:37 PM
As far as this weekend, I’ll say Scum U wins 48-38. They realize this is one of the last hopes to avoid a 1-win season. But wouldn’t be surprised of Straub and Lenoir scorch the YSU secondary and pull off the win.

Paladin1aa
October 3rd, 2018, 06:41 PM
Yep, I’d agree, PN. Possible 10 pt. win, but YSUs best chance at a win is here and the ISUb games. SIU will be a challenge as the secondary could get picked apart. Their QB has talent.

I’m still chuckling as the cheerleaders are just now catching on that Bozo has been a poor recruiter. They didn’t listen when I spread the alarm each year about each of his classes being stinkers. Wolfs players kept them competitive until they left and then the Black Hole hit, lol. Unfortunately they will be as bad or worse next year and will need years to recover. That is only if they get rid of Bozo and get a solid recruiter in.

Amazing how they forbid criticism in the media and on the cheerleader site. People are kept stupid. Muransky was an All -Big 10 lineman. He knows how poor they are and lies to the audience. Shameful !

I predict small crowds this year. The Ohio St bandwagon gains from the ineptness of YSU.

Penguin Nation
October 4th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Some perspective, in Wolf's last season, YSU beat Butler, was beating Illinois at the end of Q3 (until the infamous "butt punt"), and was fired after his fourth straight winning record. Wolf, BTW, beat Pitt and was beating Penn St in Q1 in his very first game as HC.

Fast forward to this year. Bozo gets beat by Butler (and becomes another national story), rolled by it's FBS opponent, was losing to its other nonscholly opponent in Q1, and a winning record is about as likely as me becoming starting QB for the Browns......and I suspect they may renew his contract. Slocum wasn't nearly as awful in MBB as Bozo is in FB, and his contract extensions were scandalous.

Paladin1aa
October 4th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Let me add more perspective, as several of Wolf players made it to the NFL, including one drafted by New England and he is still on the roster. He is the only coach to beat a REAL FBS school while being competitive in the others ( please make no comparasion to playing Kent or Akron as “FBS”). My opinion, he was the best recruiter of talent at YSU in the last 50 years, including Tressel, as times have changed with bigger, faster and more talented players with higher skill levels. Wolf just couldn’t find a DC to save his azz. But they were there to make a long run if he just had better DCs. Bozos run to the Natty included Mostly Wolf players, a few Bozo transfers , a decent DC and some of the luckiest plays you will ever see. But now we are in the Bozo Black Hole as Wolfs players are gone and all that’s left are the D-II & III players Bozos recruited, including the overload of poor local players.

Honestly, if they can’t beat SIU and are fortunate to beat ISUb, that is the level that the program has fallen to. Think about that. From 4 National Championships to Indiana State level !

And they want to renew Bozo ? Jesus H Christ

Penguin Nation
October 6th, 2018, 08:05 AM
This sportswriter predicts a Scumbag U win despite giving SIU the edge at every position he doesn't consider even. xeyebrowx

http://www.tribtoday.com/sports/ysu-sports/2018/10/s-illinois-at-ysu-2/

Paladin1aa
October 6th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Amazing ! Read that in the morning paper and broke out laughing.

Game day. It’s Homecoming and I don’t see much of a crowd for this. Ohio State plays at 4:00.

Paladin1aa
October 6th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Big break ! SIU QB is out because of concussion.

Paladin1aa
October 6th, 2018, 05:16 PM
YSU up 3-0 on FG

Penguin Nation
October 6th, 2018, 05:39 PM
Muransky hot take: "YSU has the best offensive line in the MVFC"

Paladin1aa
October 6th, 2018, 06:14 PM
The homerism on YSU radio is outrageous. YSU kicks another FG but trail SIU, 7-6

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2018, 06:34 PM
7-6 at the half.

TheKingpin28
October 6th, 2018, 06:43 PM
7-6 at the half.

Even with your QB gone, YSU is still losing? Wow, they are terribad this year.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Even with your QB gone, YSU is still losing? Wow, they are terribad this year.

Our QB has been a turnover machine this year, so this might work out for us.

TheKingpin28
October 6th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Our QB has been a turnover machine this year, so this might work out for us.

Buying a defense can also help. xlolx

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2018, 07:17 PM
YSU misses a 42 yard FG.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2018, 07:38 PM
Didn't expect a defensive struggle today.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2018, 07:43 PM
Desomer with the 1 yard TD run.

SIU 14 YSU 6.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2018, 08:03 PM
McCaster scores on a short run for the Penguins. Birds going for 2
14-14
4:36 left.

Paladin1aa
October 6th, 2018, 08:04 PM
YSU TD run and two point conversion. 14-14

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Late FG gives YSU the lead
17-14

Paladin1aa
October 6th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Final - YSU 17

SIU 14

Penguin Nation
October 8th, 2018, 07:01 AM
This "win" may be the last of the year for Scumbag U. Barely beat the worst total defense (and scoring defense...and pass defense) on their conference schedule with only one TD late in the game...at home...on Homecoming. The convicted rapist is really becoming a premier player tho with the 4th most tackles on defense. I'm taking ISUb out of the projected-win column as they've proven themselves in a solid performance at SDSU...a team that's going to feast on Scumbag U this weekend.

2-9 2018 record...expect many epic beatings especially in the Dakotas.

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2018, 08:23 AM
I watched the game replay on Sunday. My god, they are awful ( while Hannon & Muransky were praising them,lol). I had ISUb picked as a win and in preseason, but have doubts now. SIU isn’t very good, played without their star QB and lead late in the game. Bozo keeps blaming the players - you know, the ones HE recruited. Shameful. The guy has no class or scruples.

BTW, announced attendance for Homecoming was 14.5K. That reflects the block tickets bought by area businessmen suckers who couldn’t give them away. Real butts in seats in the 7-8K area.

Preseason I picked the Wabbits to win. Still do and could get embarrassing.

The Yo Show
October 8th, 2018, 09:45 AM
If you weren't at the game what do you base the 7 to 8k from?

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Friends who were at the game agreed with that. What glimpses showed on TV showed the crowd on lower level and , of course , there is no seating in the East stands for construction. Are you saying that wasn’t the case ? You went and ask with a straight face ?

I have Two friends I used to sit with in Penguin Club seats still there. Those seats and upper level was sparse. They, like I used to, have been going for over 25 years. I’ll take their word and my view for gospel.

The Yo Show
October 8th, 2018, 02:39 PM
So according to Wikipedia, the home side stands would seat around 17k if completely filled, do you think that is accurate? (I'm just asking so we can provide a point a reference, I will clarify here I AM NOT saying the stands were filled). However, I was surprised. I figured the attendance would be much lower turnout than I saw (which I attribute to homecoming).

The Yo Show
October 8th, 2018, 02:46 PM
So this was the attendance at the start of the game... I would figure probably closer to 11 to 12K in attendance at least? By halftime/right after halftime ALOT of people left (they were there for homecoming or didn't like the ugly game lol). It was an ugly game that is for sure. Even more left in the second half too. 7 to 8K maybe if lucky were there by the end of the game sure. But it definitely did start out with more.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29201&stc=1

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29201&stc=1

The Yo Show
October 8th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Note this picture was double posted (sorry about that). But the photo creds belong to the university. If you go to the twitter page and click on the image you can blow it up and see the whole picture as opposed to how hard it is to see here.

Penguin Nation
October 8th, 2018, 03:39 PM
That pic was posted by Scum U on Twitter. It was at an angle (I assume) to superimpose the crowd on each other to give the impression it was a large crowd. They could've posted a perpendicular angle which would've given a clearer view, but that obviously wasn't the goal. No one's fooled by it lol.

The Yo Show
October 8th, 2018, 05:01 PM
If you click on the image on Twitter and zoom in you can see the attendance pretty well. It's pretty fair to say the reported numbers are high by a few thousand.

Again I was pretty surprised by the turnout though.

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2018, 07:22 PM
So you didn’t go either, Yo ? The angles weren’t not shown on TV. It was straight ahead camera from the East side. Because of that you could see the empty seats BETWEEN the fans, row after row. Additionally when the cameras went up, the “crowd” disappeared. And with no seating on the East side, no numbers to add to that. My friends were asked since I wasn’t there and had only a guesstimate. They laughed because, in typical YSU accounting ( tone in for moRon ) attendance is usually announced at 12-14K but, without fail, 7-8K is the butts in seats. For more than 25 yrs.,the “science” of determining actual butts in seats has been well defined. It’s always amazing how they sucker the local businessmen and companies to buy up blocks of tickets and then try to hand them out for free to customers and employees, mostly with little success. For years , as we sat in the same Penguin Club seats, we rarely if ever saw the same people sitting in block purchased seats and many times there were none. Asking around revealed the hospitals, car dealers, restaurants, etc buying up blocks to write off as a business expense. I don’t need to argue the exact attendance as it sure as Hell wasnt 14.5K or anything near that. Nor 11K. I’ll give you 8.5K.

The SDSU game will be broadcast live on WBCB at 3:00 in all its ugly glory.

The Yo Show
October 8th, 2018, 07:39 PM
Well no, I was there and I'm saying there were around 11-12K at the start based on my estimate at the beginning. Which was why I asked how you arrived to your number. You can see the top right and top left sections didn't have anybody seeing in the picture they have, but mathematically you can put a number to it. Sections 1 and 7 I would say the top 10 rows had no one sitting in them. Add in the fact that while pretty full, the other main body sections weren't seated completely compacted (IE there were empty spaces here and there) I get my number. In order for it to have been 8.5K you would have to say everyone if sitting really close would have fit in only half the stadium (All of sections 1, 2 and 3 and then exactly half section 4).

Personally I think if everyone was squished together it would have taken all of section 4. But my number is just that an estimate. It is hard, because it is mostly mental projection but I challenge the 8.5K number by far unless you are talking at the end of the game. By the end of the game, I would grant you I doubt there were 6k people there... and yes it was that stark of a leaving in droves. Big group left at halftime, and another big group left right after halftime, heck a smaller contingent left after the 1st quarter and didn't come back.

The Yo Show
October 8th, 2018, 07:40 PM
And yes I agree completely though the 14.5K announced is no where near correct.

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2018, 07:53 PM
When I sat in the Penguin Club seats, we would lose half that crowd at halftime. Those typically were the freeloaders who got free tickets from a business. Not here to argue over numbers at the beginning,halftime or the end. Certainly on TV at the end, it was damn sparse but endzone to endzone there were lots of empty seats during the game and ,my favorites, lots of red chairs passing themselves off as fans, as most of the Penguin Club wears red,lol.

Penguin Nation
October 8th, 2018, 08:45 PM
When Scum U used to fill the stadium in the 90's, there was no shortage of indisputable photographic evidence from clear angles.

Now there are either no pics, or for this game, suspicious angles with the North corner of the West stands suspiciously cut off. If it was a good crowd, Scum U (and the media) would have pics of it wallpapered everywhere.

Ask yourself, "would attendance go dramatically UP during a dumpster fire season"? It makes absolutely no sense.

Penguin Nation
October 9th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Speaking of clowns that call Scum U games....

http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/oct/09/curbstone-coaches-hannon-expects-bo-peli/

Hannon...says he expects Pelini to return next season.

“Bo is in the final year of his contract and I have gotten no indication whatsoever that he won’t be back, whether or not we qualify for the playoffs,” Hannon said. “We still have work to do this season and working week to week, especially in season, has always been Bo’s focus.”

With 24 teams now comprising the FCS playoff field, Hannon feels that if YSU can go 5-1 the rest of the way and get seven wins, the Penguins still have playoff hopes.

What's interesting is Hannon almost directly states that he believes the decision to renew Bozo's contract is not based on performance. So then what is it based on?

In the article, there's parroting of the media narrative that 2 season-ending injuries on defense has crippled the team in all phases of the game, and if it weren't for those injuries, Scum U'd be fine.

Then...lol...he describes a playoff scenario.

Penguin Nation
October 9th, 2018, 10:54 AM
^^^I'll just add that Scalzo would make similar statements about Slocum well in advance of an official University announcement, when it seemed unbelievable that Slocum would be renewed, and 100% of the time it was accurate.

The Yo Show
October 9th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Don't doubt that it is probably accurate. Would absolutely fit the inept nature of the athletic department. After all what coach's contract wouldn't be performance based? Unbelievable

Penguin Nation
October 9th, 2018, 12:03 PM
After reading that, and knowing how information is intentionally leaked and how the media is controlled at Scum U, I have no doubt Bozo will be HC in 2019...and likely well beyond. The NE $$ will be gone, and for a guy in his 50s, no where near retirement age, it is obvious his "market value" has plummeted. For me, it reaffirms that Scum U is...well....Scumbag U. Bozo is an absolutely disgusting individual, and reps the U very, very poorly.

Also, as bad as the team is this year, I see little reason to believe it'll be better next year. There is no $$ game (which is a whole other topic of AD gross incompetence and fiscal mismanagement), and instead there's a much much easier opponent (Samford)...so that may give them 1 additional win..maybe...but o/w not looking good.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2018, 12:35 PM
I kid you not, if Bozo is retained , I’d look for a lost decade. Or more. I’ve been warning for several years that his recruiting has been poor, living off of Wolfs recruits and next year looks even worse than this. If given the opportunity to continue to screw up recruiting, you are looking not only at no playoffs, you are looking at basement level in the MVFC while they continue to schedule Pioneer teams they “ think “ they can beat. Unfreakin believable.

I got a “ theory” for you. Politics has overcome the willingness to win. We already know how they sellout the average fan for the fat cats in the loges, but try this on for size - moRon has screwed the athletic dept, especially the money sports for much more than a decade. There has always been heavy pressure in Youngstown to recruit local athletes, even offering half schollies, since athletes can live at home making the half schollie in effect, a” full ride”. Never mind that many don’t attract real offers from other D-I schools but do attract half schollies or half aid from D-II& III schools but are not close by so they have to pay to go away. That is what YSU gets for many athletes from the Valley! Not only for FB, but also many of the minor sports. MoRon endorses this because it eases pressures off him to recruit local kids but concedes the drive to actually recruit better athletes to win with because they aren’t local. Hence YSU sports suffer for political expediency.

Bozo is rich with the millions he got from Nebraska. YSU gets a cheaper coach rather than be forced to pay up to get a better coach. The current staff is a cut rate version of Dollar General merchandise. Hey, Oklahoma just fired Stoops. Maybe they can get him on the cheap to come home.

moRon, the miser, and the freakin accountant he is, has leveraged not only FB, but the entire dept. to run it on the cheap while passing and promoting it all off as “first class” and D-I while at the expense of seriously trying to win. It’s a charade.

Penguin Nation
October 9th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Funny. I refer to the Heacock era as the "lost decade." I agree that the writing is on the wall for another one. BTW, that lost decade was also due to moRon.

I read an excuse on the cheerleader board that moRon manages the AD the way he does because he is an accountant, and the fat cats are satisfied with sh-- games against sh-- opponents as long as they can see them from the loge. That is like trying to save money by not driving to work. It's absolute insanity. He's denying them exciting home playoff games that may actually give them more home games. We would get paid more (>$300k) for away (away meaning 45 minutes away) MAC games than home sh-- games, and the playoff selection committee is obviously not impressed with the OOC schedule (although anymore the playoff selection committee is a nonfactor due to how far the program has fallen). The incompetence is astounding.

One other thought...by renewing the contract of a guy who recruits convicted gang rapists is a clear indication of how the University feels about DV and violence against women.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Question - Why would YSU, who just added Bowling, take on the expenses of another sport ?

Answer - So more local “athletes” can get partial schollies which are in effect, full rides.

Question - Why are many YSU assist. Coaches young and from the area or the program ?

Answer - They have little knowledge or coaching experience, but man, they are cheap.