PDA

View Full Version : Saints Staying...For Now

MYTAPPY
March 26th, 2007, 03:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2812949

Glad they are staying. That city needs the Saints. Hate to see what would happen to N.O. if they left.

ucdtim17
March 26th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Eh I think they'll be OK. They've gone through worse things than losing a pro sports team

Lehigh Football Nation
March 26th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I'm happy, but I'm also hoping that this isn't a "milk four years of being America's team then bolt for LA":

The contract had allowed the Saints to opt out of its current deal with the state by repaying about $70 million the state has provided in inducements to the team. But the Saints will drop that termination clause, and the state will eliminate its ability to opt out of the contract.

So, there's a short extension of the contract (4 years), and no more opt-out clause. To me, that's not a hell of a deal until they get a real long-term contract, not just a renegotiating of a deal that ends in 4 short years. xtwocentsx

BigApp
March 26th, 2007, 04:14 PM
screw LA, move to San Antonio. Nobody in LA cares about pro football, that's why both the Rams and the Rai-duhs left.

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Even though both sides said all the right things I say it is only a matter of time before they are gone unfortunately... IMO

TexasTerror
March 26th, 2007, 05:37 PM
screw LA, move to San Antonio. Nobody in LA cares about pro football, that's why both the Rams and the Rai-duhs left.

NFL has no interest in San Antonio...

Red McCombs (former owner of the Vikings) did...

GeauxColonels
March 26th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I'm happy, but I'm also hoping that this isn't a "milk four years of being America's team then bolt for LA":

So, there's a short extension of the contract (4 years), and no more opt-out clause. To me, that's not a hell of a deal until they get a real long-term contract, not just a renegotiating of a deal that ends in 4 short years. xtwocentsx
Not really. The contract was already in place through 2010. What this agreement did was basically eliminate the "opt-out" clauses for both sides. The Saints could have opted-out next month I believe, and pay a $70 million penalty. On the flip-side, the state had the option after this upcoming season to terminate the deal whenever they felt and cease all payments to the team. All this did was silence the speculation of what might happen before 2010.

And it only makes sense. The team sold out the entire season, before the start of the season (first time in franchise history). The also created a season ticket waiting list (first time in franchise history) which already has roughly 20,000 people on it. The club recently announced that all of the suites have been sold for the 2007 season (first time in franchise history). Why not eliminate the opt-out clause (especially if the state is doing the same, meaning the teams is GUARANTEED the rest of the yearly payments through 2010).

Being a lifelong Saints fan and a native of the New Orleans area, it would kill me to see the team leave. And I'm not really sure that LA is an option. Benson wants his grandaughter to take over the team in the next few years (she is already active in the operations and heads the AFL's New Orleans VooDoo). From what I understand, the NFL would want LOCAL ownership in Los Angeles...meaning that Benson would have to sell. I think he wants ownership (for himself and his family) too much to sell.