PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Banners

SoCon48
July 27th, 2005, 11:18 AM
The ASU Mountaineer's Delphi message board members raised a thousand bucks (or almost as of this morning) to purchase banners to display in Kidd Brewer Stadium.

Now this is where the Delaware, Furman, JMU, GSU (and even the) Woffie fans say, "Hello, we didn't know you ever earned any banners."

Well, we haven't..except for SoCon ones THUS far. (don't guess the play-offs allow ones for participating in the semi-final rounds in '87 and '00.

dungeonjoe
July 27th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Wofford raised banners last year... went back to NAIA days but that is part of the heritage. ASU should have done it a while ago with their legacy; wonder what the hold-up was?

kats89
July 27th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Wofford raised banners last year... went back to NAIA days but that is part of the heritage. ASU should have done it a while ago with their legacy; wonder what the hold-up was?

How about some pictures of what you are talking about?

dungeonjoe
July 27th, 2005, 12:37 PM
How about some pictures of what you are talking about?
sorry, I am not that computer effiecient. I am refering to flags at the top of the stands. Each flag refers to a chamionship or playoff appearance.

kats89
July 27th, 2005, 12:40 PM
sorry, I am not that computer effiecient. I am refering to flags at the top of the stands. Each flag refers to a chamionship or playoff appearance.

oh!

chattanoogamocs
July 27th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Nice job MMB boys!

We at Mocfans did the same thing (raising money) last year when the school had gotten woefully behind on the SoCon and NCAA banners for basketball.

Our next plan is to raise the cash to "go backwards" and have some made from the glory years of D2 (we have one banner for the National Championship year in '77...but also made the D2 championship game in 1976...and had 4 othre appearances in a 6 year period).

But seeing you guys talk about banners for football made me think that we also ought to look into football banners...after all, the Mocs have won 4 SoCon titles...maybe see the banners fly would give a little extra inspiration to the players...and fans.

winstoneagle
July 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I still cant believe the lack of support in Chattanooga. One of my favorite towns in the USA.

ChiefGSU275
July 27th, 2005, 04:49 PM
At GSU, we only have about 13 banners i think...6 National Titles and 7 SoCon Titles. Nothing too exciting. ;)

chattanoogamocs
July 27th, 2005, 05:33 PM
I still cant believe the lack of support in Chattanooga. One of my favorite towns in the USA.

Ok, not to speck a fight, but what does that have to do with a discussion on banners? (though I am glad to know, and appreciate, you like the town :))

...and to answer your question, what's not to believe? We have bad to awful in football for going on 20 years...you expect 10, 15, 20,000 people to show up for that?

UC fans, like most schools/cities, will support winning programs...just check the attendance numbers in the conference for men's and women's basketball in that same 20 years.

Hopefully this year will be the beginning of a long awaited (and promised) turnaround. I know as a long suffering true fan that this is the first time I have actually felt pretty optimistic of being competitive in about 7 or 8 years.

OL FU
July 27th, 2005, 07:37 PM
The ASU Mountaineer's Delphi message board members raised a thousand bucks (or almost as of this morning) to purchase banners to display in Kidd Brewer Stadium.

Now this is where the Delaware, Furman, JMU, GSU (and even the) Woffie fans say, "Hello, we didn't know you ever earned any banners."

Well, we haven't..except for SoCon ones THUS far. (don't guess the play-offs allow ones for participating in the semi-final rounds in '87 and '00.

As the GSU fans like to proclaim, we, at FU, proudly post our two runner ups.
I am aware of ASU SoCon titles, but my knowledge of ASU prior to SoCon is lacking. Are there banners that relate to before that period?

And, display those SoCon banners with pride.

galojay
July 27th, 2005, 09:51 PM
WKU has a banner flying for our 2002 NCAA Championship

EagleCrusade
July 28th, 2005, 09:19 AM
At GSU, we only have about 13 banners i think...6 National Titles and 7 SoCon Titles. Nothing too exciting. ;)

8 SoCon titles. 1993, 1997-2002 and 2004.

SoCon48
July 28th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Geez, congratulations..for the 1,000th time.

Speaking for most App fans, I'd be happy at this point for even just ONE Nat Champ banner.

ChiefGSU275
July 28th, 2005, 09:07 PM
LOL! I am hoping that App will be more competitive this year. You guys are due for a breakout season, maybe 2nd in the conference. ;-)

ISUMatt
July 29th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Illinois State has their 2 GFC Championships in print under the scoreboard, at the open end of the stadium

SoCon48
July 29th, 2005, 05:30 PM
LOL! I am hoping that App will be more competitive this year. You guys are due for a breakout season, maybe 2nd in the conference. ;-)
2nd in the conference behind the GSU Eagles? I'd take that right NOW! Realistically, IMOP, we'll be fighting the Terriers and Catamounts for 3rd.

Need I remind you of the Georgia Southern Eagles' lack of success in ASU's Kidd Brewer Stadium since joining the Southern Conference?

No? Well, I will anyway. Your guys are 3-7-1 vs the Apps in Boone. Yeah, I know your guys shucked us BIG TIME last year and have us 6-3 in Gnatsville. ;) ;) ;) ;)

And need I remind you where you play this Fall? ;) ;) ;)
Before you jump my case, I definitely expect GSU to beat my Mountaineers this year, but unlike last year, you just may have to earn the 2006 one. Ask the Furmanites what happens when you underestimate we hillbillies.