PDA

View Full Version : Ridgewater MN JC suspends FB program

Laker
September 27th, 2018, 09:16 PM
This is my alma mater. I watched them get beaten badly in the opener. I saw on the roster that they barely had a handful of players from Minnesota. The roster was full of kids from Georgia and Florida.

When I played we had one kid from Gary, Indiana. Three kids from Minneapolis. The rest were local kids. We lost two games in two years. To me this is such a disappointment.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/42628541_10156650150019254_370319076762845184_n.jp g?_nc_cat=109&oh=9b3c1034e7e3814d59831bb755c27a57&oe=5C1DD36F

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 27th, 2018, 09:29 PM
54 players down to 22....xeekx

What the heck happened down there?

Laker
September 27th, 2018, 09:48 PM

I have yet to find out everything, but they had some injuries AND suspensions. I'm guessing that some players went back south. I wrote the president tonight to discuss some ways to fix this problem.

bonarae
September 28th, 2018, 01:24 AM
See also Occidental (CA) in 2016 or 2017. Most of the players at that time quit on the program after getting hard hit with injuries and losses. But the administration is still supportive of football...

Laker
November 29th, 2018, 05:35 PM
I spent an hour today visiting with the Ridgewater president in person. I was extremely impressed with his openness, his vision and his honesty. He laid it out for myself and my brother of the different options that they have dealing with football. Next week they have a meeting with representatives of the other schools in the conference that have football.

I found out that the coaches are part time, the money comes not from the general fund but student affairs, and that lack of housing is a huge problem for many of the players. PE courses are no longer taught there, nor are there any intramural programs. The school has lost a quarter of their enrollment and locally there is no great concern about dropping football. The future of the sport is not optimistic.

We told him that no matter what his final decision was that we would support him 100%. This is why you meet with people face to face- a phone call or emails would not have been as informative.

cx500d
November 29th, 2018, 05:37 PM

Can they move to 9-man?

Laker
November 29th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Can they move to 9-man?

If we were in South Dakota we could go to 6 man.

dgtw
December 1st, 2018, 09:51 PM
Is juco football a big deal in Minnesota? We don’t have any in Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laker
December 1st, 2018, 10:34 PM
Is juco football a big deal in Minnesota? We don’t have any in Alabama.

It used to be. When I was playing we had an 8 game regular season, with two divisions of 10 teams each that would have a playoff. Now we include two North Dakota schools (South Dakota doesn't have any) for a total of ten.

Laker
December 19th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Ridgewater to drop football for good. RIP. Add in the six Arizona schools who did this year and we have an unfortunate trend.

https://www.wctrib.com/sports/football/4545068-update-ridgewater-college-terminates-football-program?fbclid=IwAR1H_MmWrcwQ4UnZkrWoG55SJcLEMSkdC 0W96ZBPGhxWZIpwOYer1E8Y7m0

JacksFan40
December 19th, 2018, 08:50 AM
It used to be. When I was playing we had an 8 game regular season, with two divisions of 10 teams each that would have a playoff. Now we include two North Dakota schools (South Dakota doesn't have any) for a total of ten.
SD could have NJCAA teams I think. Places like Lake Area Tech, Southeast Tech etc. It'd be fun to see my alma mater Lake Area Tech playing football or basketball.

Laker
December 19th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Now we have two outdated items in this picture. I may have to go to the Ridgewater bookstore and buy another t-shirt before they run out.

https://www.srperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/KoenigHats.jpg

walliver
December 27th, 2018, 10:11 AM
I find it interesting that there was still much interest in JuCo football. In my part of the country, most private JuCo's have gone 4 year for financial reasons, usually ending up in the NAIA or D2. The public 2 year schools don't offer football.

There are obviously a few football JuCo's around, since since a lot of D-I schools accept JuCo transfers. Maybe the P5 should subsidize Junior College football since they are using the schools as a development league for players who don't meet D-I admissions requirements or get into other types of trouble.

Bisonoline
December 27th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Now we have two outdated items in this picture. I may have to go to the Ridgewater bookstore and buy another t-shirt before they run out.

https://www.srperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/KoenigHats.jpg

Do you actually have to attend an event to acquire a hat?

Laker
December 27th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Do you actually have to attend an event to acquire a hat?

No. I've seen 452 college teams play in person. Add in 52 major pro teams. I've been to 80 home venues and haven't counted how many playoff sites, Elite 8s, Final Fours or title games at neutral sites. I'll have to figure that out sometime.

I still need a UT-Rio Grande Valley and a Cal Baptist cap. They are relatively new D1 schools and are harder to get. LIDS and Fanatics.com had a lot of them. I usually wait until they have a sale. Sometimes I contact a baseball coach who is willing to work with me and mail me one after I send a check. I'm not always lucky.

Bisonoline
December 27th, 2018, 06:54 PM
No. I've seen 452 college teams play in person. Add in 52 major pro teams. I've been to 80 home venues and haven't counted how many playoff sites, Elite 8s, Final Fours or title games at neutral sites. I'll have to figure that out sometime.

I still need a UT-Rio Grande Valley and a Cal Baptist cap. They are relatively new D1 schools and are harder to get. LIDS and Fanatics.com had a lot of them. I usually wait until they have a sale. Sometimes I contact a baseball coach who is willing to work with me and mail me one after I send a check. I'm not always lucky.

You have all the Big Ten I would assume. Have you ever been to an Iowa Game?
Y

Laker
December 27th, 2018, 09:18 PM
You have all the Big Ten I would assume. Have you ever been to an Iowa Game

Yes. First time was 1989- saw the Hawks beat Texas Southern in men's basketball on Friday night, then watched the Gophers win 43-7 on Saturday. Hawks fan next to me was older (I was 35 at the time) wouldn't say a thing to me all game. Left with a few minutes to go saying, "Hayden just didn't want to win this year."

I was back there again in 1993 when the Gophers lost 21-3. Evidently, that year Hayden wanted to win!

I also worked the girls basketball camp there in 1997-98-99 when Angie Lee was the head coach.

The only BIG school that I haven't been to is Rutgers. That one is still on my list.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 27th, 2018, 09:31 PM

xbowx

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. First time was 1989- saw the Hawks beat Texas Southern in men's basketball on Friday night, then watched the Gophers win 43-7 on Saturday. Hawks fan next to me was older (I was 35 at the time) wouldn't say a thing to me all game. Left with a few minutes to go saying, "Hayden just didn't want to win this year."

I was back there again in 1993 when the Gophers lost 21-3. Evidently, that year Hayden wanted to win!

I also worked the girls basketball camp there in 1997-98-99 when Angie Lee was the head coach.

The only BIG school that I haven't been to is Rutgers. That one is still on my list.

xbowx

dgtw
December 29th, 2018, 06:42 AM
I find it interesting that there was still much interest in JuCo football. In my part of the country, most private JuCo's have gone 4 year for financial reasons, usually ending up in the NAIA or D2. The public 2 year schools don't offer football.

There are obviously a few football JuCo's around, since since a lot of D-I schools accept JuCo transfers. Maybe the P5 should subsidize Junior College football since they are using the schools as a development league for players who don't meet D-I admissions requirements or get into other types of trouble.

We don’t even have juco football in Alabama. There used to be a team at Marion Military, but I think they dropped the program a number of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk