Samford and Youngstown State.

- - - Updated - - -

Please change title to 2019. xdrunkyx

TheKingpin28
September 25th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Samford and Youngstown State.

- - - Updated - - -

Please change title to 2019. xdrunkyx

Seriously? That is a bad matchup with Bozo most likely to leave and prevent me from enjoying his sideline antics and Hodges graduating.

IBleedYellow
September 25th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Should be a good matchup.

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Hopefully Samford brings a bunch of fans because I bet YSU will struggle to get 2,000 down to Montgomery for this one.

Bisonator
September 25th, 2018, 12:32 PM
This thing has become a complete joke. ESPN can **** **** up to no end.xrolleyesx

clenz
September 25th, 2018, 12:38 PM
68 people will be there

Gonna be great for TV.

JSUSoutherner
September 25th, 2018, 01:04 PM
I'm just glad JSU gets the year off. The trip sucks.

IBleedYellow
September 25th, 2018, 01:08 PM
68 people will be there

Gonna be great for TV.

If anything that's closer to FCS reality than it isn't...

ST_Lawson
September 25th, 2018, 01:14 PM
1019?....Vikings vs Vandals maybe?

ASU33
September 25th, 2018, 01:20 PM
I wish they'd move this game back on campus or to a better location.

grizband
September 25th, 2018, 01:23 PM
This thing has become a complete joke. ESPN can **** **** up to no end.xrolleyesx
I understand spreading it around to different teams, but why not focus on teams who will draw well?

JSUSoutherner
September 25th, 2018, 01:27 PM
I understand spreading it around to different teams, but why not focus on teams who will draw well?

We do draw well and we still only pulled 13,500.

That game will never be well attended as long is it's in Montgomery.

I'll be extremely surprised if they have more than 6k next year.

grizband
September 25th, 2018, 01:31 PM

Unless they are HBCU games, or games between major FCS powers, I can't imagine an off campus game drawing well. I agree, why not bring this game back to campus, where at least one team is bound to draw well!

JSUSoutherner
September 25th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Unless they are HBCU games, or games between major FCS powers, I can't imagine an off campus game drawing well. I agree, why not bring this game back to campus, where at least one team is bound to draw well!
If they had had the games at our place they would have been sellouts both years. Guaranteed.

As an FCS fan who would be upset with having this kind of atmosphere being a representative for the kickoff game?

Montgomery single handedly ruined the event. Montgomery is really good at ruining things. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180925/7ca66fed83ef4bc5e974f91ba592d650.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180925/a00adcbdcb46361a8f001b559877ccf5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180925/30a7b5feb9981577c72812979dc9715e.jpg

grizband
September 25th, 2018, 01:42 PM

If they had had the games at our place they would have been sellouts both years. Guaranteed.
No doubt Jacksonville State would have sold out this game. Many others would have sold out, or come close: Montana, Montana State, NDSU, SDSU, Northern Iowa, Eastern Washington, James Madison, etc. My favorite part of the kickoff games is pitting teams who don't normally play against each other, but hosting at a campus site improves the optics on tv (doesn't lend credence to the belief we are small time.)

BEAR
September 25th, 2018, 01:47 PM
1019... Medieval cheerleaders trying to get the crowd into the game...

http://www.medievalarchives.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Crusaders-Cheerleaders.jpg

ElCid
September 25th, 2018, 01:56 PM

Vandals were gone by then. But good one anyway.

ST_Lawson
September 25th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Vandals were gone by then. But good one anyway.

I know, just trying to make it fit with current FCS mascots. That was the closest I could come up with. Any Roman-themed mascots in the FCS?

JSUSoutherner
September 25th, 2018, 02:07 PM
I know, just trying to make it fit with current FCS mascots. That was the closest I could come up with. Any Roman-themed mascots in the FCS?

Isn't there a team that's Spartans?

ST_Lawson
September 25th, 2018, 02:11 PM

Norfolk State, but Spartans are Greeks and "Spartans" as we think of them were well gone by the end of the BC era.

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2018, 02:17 PM
I bet there were fightin' camels around 1000 AD.

grizband
September 25th, 2018, 02:19 PM

Some of these are more applicable than others:

Buccaneers (Charleston Southern and ETSU)
Tribe (William & Mary)
Pirates (Hampton)
Spartans (Norfolk State)
Dukes (Duquesne)
Colonials (Robert Morris)
Pioneers (Sacred Heart)
Governors (Austin Peay)
Colonels (Eastern Kentucky and Nicholls)
Crusaders (Holy Cross and Valparaiso)
Paladins (Furman)
Cardinals (Incarnate Word and Lamar)
Braves (Alcorn State)

The Yo Show
September 25th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Ironically, pretty sure most animal mascots would apply? After all, there were penguins in 1019 as well xlolx

SU DOG
September 25th, 2018, 02:49 PM

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Montgomery better do a heck of a local marketing job for this one.

JSUSoutherner
September 25th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Unfortunately, I have to agree. Montgomery better do a heck of a local marketing job for this one.

They won't.

JSUSoutherner
September 25th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Norfolk State, but Spartans are Greeks and "Spartans" as we think of them were well gone by the end of the BC era.

I know Spartans are Greeks. I wasn't sure of their time frame though.

Winterborn
September 25th, 2018, 03:17 PM
I know Spartans are Greeks. I wasn't sure of their time frame though.

Around 400 B.C. was their time frame.

Anything dealing with the Vikings would be period correct.

BadlandsGrizFan
September 25th, 2018, 03:23 PM
The only teams that should even be considered to host this opening game should be NDSU..Montana..Montana State..South Dakota State...Eastern Washington or JMU.....

Every other program just makes the FCS look embarrassing with the crowds and level of play on the field.

JSUSoutherner
September 25th, 2018, 03:35 PM
The only teams that should even be considered to host this opening game should be NDSU..Montana..Montana State..South Dakota State...Eastern Washington or JMU.....

Every other program just makes the FCS look embarrassing with the crowds and level of play on the field.

Every single one of those teams would look like an Embarrassment in Montgomery. Even the Bison.

For Montgomery, JSU is as good is it's ever gonna get.

ASU33
September 25th, 2018, 03:43 PM

They won't at all!

ASU33
September 25th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Every single one of those teams would look like an Embarrassment in Montgomery. Even the Bison.

Pretty much. We wouldn't get invited because we're awful plus we already play in Montgomery. Unless you get a traditional HBCU rivalry game then the draw for this game will be less than 10k with no local teams or teams near by.

JSUSoutherner
September 25th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Pretty much. We wouldn't get invited because we're awful plus we already play in Montgomery. Unless you get a traditional HBCU rivalry game then the draw for this game will be less than 10k with no local teams or teams near by.

JSU vs. Troy might pull

ASU33
September 25th, 2018, 03:59 PM
JSU vs. Troy might pull

JSU/Troy would sellout! I would love to see that game again.

Professor
September 25th, 2018, 04:38 PM
A&T vs JSU was 13500. I'm guessing that's not a good draw for the game?

JSUSoutherner
September 25th, 2018, 05:22 PM
A&T vs JSU was 13500. I'm guessing that's not a good draw for the game?

If it tells you anything about what we usually get at home, we had 22k for MVSU.

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Samford is probably the worst team in the socon in terms of home attendance, which is saying something because Wofford is lucky if we get 5,000 of our own at a home game (listed attendance I always higher than actual attendance).

Also I respect Samford because they have had Wofford's number the last ~5 years or so, but if you look past that stat, they're still an OVC team: they almost always lay an egg in the playoffs or against quality OOC games. Hatcher's bull**** offense is also terrible against teams with quality defenses and run-first offenses. Remember, Youngstown pulverized them in the 2016 playoffs.

I think it will be a repeat. And that sucks, because I really do want Samford to do better in OOC. As of now, Wofford, Furman, and Chattanooga are the only ones who have proven to carry water OOC in the last few years and Furman is not yet off the struggle bus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

CockyGeek
September 25th, 2018, 09:05 PM
They're going to need a gimmick for this game. Maybe nickel beer night or burn disco records on the field.

830 miles from YSU. 13 hour drive. Flying into Bham or Montgomery is incredibly expensive. Only the diehards would make this trip. Samford fans will be at the Walmart on Lakeshore buying Alabama championship gear. This will be a disaster.

Derby City Duke
September 25th, 2018, 09:09 PM

That's 'cause it's hot down south in Montgomery! xthumbsupx

Twentysix
September 26th, 2018, 03:47 AM
They're going to need a gimmick for this game. Maybe nickel beer night or burn disco records on the field.

830 miles from YSU. 13 hour drive. Flying into Bham or Montgomery is incredibly expensive. Only the diehards would make this trip. Samford fans will be at the Walmart on Lakeshore buying Alabama championship gear. This will be a disaster.Why not have paid fans? Like an awards show. Or, Have Pepsi sponsor the game and give each school $250,000 to get fans tickets and travel. Or, just be normal and let the freaking institutions host the game...
God this is a joke of a setup. Way to delegitimize the biggest niche sport level in college athletics even more.

At least play the game in a ****ing regional NFL stadium, you can drape banners over unsold sections like SDSU.
Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
September 26th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Why not have paid fans? Like an awards show. Or, Have Pepsi sponsor the game and give each school $250,000 to get fans tickets and travel. Or, just be normal and let the freaking institutions host the game...
God this is a joke of a setup. Way to delegitimize the biggest niche sport level in college athletics even more.

At least play the game in a ****ing regional NFL stadium, you can drape banners over unsold sections like SDSU.
Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I've been saying for several years now that the new Georgia Dome would be perfect because it has the banners that drop for the MLS setup that cover the top bowl that could be used.

SU DOG
September 26th, 2018, 08:18 AM
Samford is probably the worst team in the socon in terms of home attendance, which is saying something because Wofford is lucky if we get 5,000 of our own at a home game (listed attendance I always higher than actual attendance).

Also I respect Samford because they have had Wofford's number the last ~5 years or so, but if you look past that stat, they're still an OVC team: they almost always lay an egg in the playoffs or against quality OOC games. Hatcher's bull**** offense is also terrible against teams with quality defenses and run-first offenses. Remember, Youngstown pulverized them in the 2016 playoffs.

I think it will be a repeat. And that sucks, because I really do want Samford to do better in OOC. As of now, Wofford, Furman, and Chattanooga are the only ones who have proven to carry water OOC in the last few years and Furman is not yet off the struggle bus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I can't argue attendance numbers, but I think you might have gone too far with some of your other cracks. Two wins over UCA and the one over KSU were among the best OOC wins the SoCon had in those last several years that you mention. As for laying an egg in the Playoffs, remember that Samford has yet to play at home in those games. Also, no team has beaten Samford and lost their next game. Not exactly easy draws that we have received you know. That 2016 YSU Team you mentioned also played for the NC in Frisco. Just a few things to consider.

kdinva
September 26th, 2018, 10:04 AM
.... Samford fans will be at the Walmart on Lakeshore buying Alabama championship gear. This will be a disaster.

xslapfightx

dgtw
September 26th, 2018, 11:19 AM

Do you think making it an HBCU “classic” would be successful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASU33
September 26th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Do you think making it an HBCU “classic” would be successful?

It depends on the matchup. I think it would be cool for a one year thing to get a big HBCU game that would draw well but outside of that I like the rotation of different teams each year. I think that Montgomery is a bad location for this game and that it should move back on the campus of the host school.

UAalum72
September 26th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Why not have paid fans? Like an awards show. Or, Have Pepsi sponsor the game and give each school $250,000 to get fans tickets and travel. Or, just be normal and let the freaking institutions host the game...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TapatalkDon't just drape banners. Get tarps like Triestina in Italy did
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29018&stc=1

Reign of Terrier
September 26th, 2018, 01:49 PM
I can't argue attendance numbers, but I think you might have gone too far with some of your other cracks. Two wins over UCA and the one over KSU were among the best OOC wins the SoCon had in those last several years that you mention. As for laying an egg in the Playoffs, remember that Samford has yet to play at home in those games. Also, no team has beaten Samford and lost their next game. Not exactly easy draws that we have received you know. That 2016 YSU Team you mentioned also played for the NC in Frisco. Just a few things to consider.

Samford has lost all of their playoff games in the past few years by 2 scores or more and was YSU's easiest out that year. Samford haven't won a playoff game since 1991. At the time, Kennesaw state wasn't a big win (it was week one and they were still in startup mode). UCA was a good one, I'll give you that.

As for away games...that's honestly not much of an excuse. Chattanooga hasn't won a game on the road in the playoffs, but they haven't laid eggs like Samford. Citadel won an away playoff game, Wofford has won like 3 (heck, Wofford went 8 years without winning a home playoff game between 2004 and 2012). Home field advantage counts for something, I will grant that, but the manner that Samford loses in the playoffs is particularly painful for the rest of the conference.

ysubigred
September 26th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Nice! This is about half way to Destin FL. Could be a stop on the annual Destin trip xthumbsupx

Thanks Ron for a good scheduled game xsmiley_wix

ysubigred
September 26th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Don't just drape banners. Get tarps like Triestina in Italy did
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29018&stc=1

WOW look at all those people there xrolleyesx

JSUSoutherner
September 26th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Nice! This is about half way to Destin FL. Could be a stop on the annual Destin trip xthumbsupx

Thanks Ron for a good scheduled game xsmiley_wix

Destin is nice.

ysubigred
September 26th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Destin is nice.

Yes sir. Having family living there and Eglin AFB really makes it a good value trip.

JSUSoutherner
September 26th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Yes sir. Having family living there and Eglin AFB really makes it a good value trip.

Nice.

RabidRabbit
September 26th, 2018, 04:14 PM

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TapatalkSan Diego St U in this case. Not our FCS SDSU.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dbackjon
September 26th, 2018, 04:39 PM

That's awesome

Professor
September 26th, 2018, 04:49 PM
If it tells you anything about what we usually get at home, we had 22k for MVSU.

It was the second largest in the classic history. And largest in Alabama.

I don't see what the issue , it's a 2.5 hrs drive to Montgomery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCS_Kickoff

ElCid
September 26th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Some of these are more applicable than others:

Buccaneers (Charleston Southern and ETSU)
Tribe (William & Mary)
Pirates (Hampton)
Spartans (Norfolk State)
Dukes (Duquesne)
Colonials (Robert Morris)
Pioneers (Sacred Heart)
Governors (Austin Peay)
Colonels (Eastern Kentucky and Nicholls)
Crusaders (Holy Cross and Valparaiso)
Paladins (Furman)
Cardinals (Incarnate Word and Lamar)
Braves (Alcorn State)

Crusaders is close enough. Within a hundred years.

ST_Lawson
September 26th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Crusaders is close enough. Within a hundred years.

Ok then. Portland State isn't great, but I'm pretty sure they could take Valpo (or are we going with Holy Cross on this one?)

JSUSoutherner
September 26th, 2018, 07:06 PM
It was the second largest in the classic history. And largest in Alabama.

I don't see what the issue , it's a 2.5 hrs drive to Montgomery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCS_Kickoff

There's only been two in Alabama. So congrats, you sent more fans than UTC did.

Montgomery sucks. Everything would be better by having the game at JSU.