PDA

View Full Version : 2018-09/29 AGS GOTW Week 5

Preferred Walk-On
September 24th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Well, this seems pretty straight-forward and I am not even sure this thread was needed this week. Therefore, I am posting a poll with only two choices, and if you choose "other", please let us know why SDSU @ NDSU should not be the GOTW and what should be in its place. In the interest of putting thought into this beyond #3 vs. #1 and attempting to lessen my MVFC bias (or at least give that appearance), I have listed some other choices that could have been considered for GOTW...if SDSU were not playing NDSU. Enjoy!

Tier 1 (AGS #3 vs. #1, Marker, Joose?):
South Dakota State @ North Dakota State

Tier 2A (Intra-conference and all AGS ranked):
Villanova @ Stony Brook
Eastern Washington @ Montana State

Tier 2B (CAA’s suprises vs. IVY’s upper half):
Rhode Island @ Harvard
Maine @ Yale

Tier 2C (Looked like "can’t-miss" matchups earlier; however, one team in each has underachieved, at least based on early expectations):
Central Arkansas @ Sam Houston State
New Hampshire @ Elon
James Madison @ Richmond
Austin Peay @ Jacksonville State
Samford @ Kennesaw State

wapiti
September 24th, 2018, 02:06 PM
I choose SDSU @ NDSU

The directional states battle.

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2018, 02:53 PM
SDSU vs NDSU

#3 vs #1

If NDSU wins, they truly have no reason to not have all the 1st place votes and push even further away from what is perceived to be a 3 way race for the championship

If SDSU wins, they probably go to #1 and turmoil commences on AGS and Bisonville straight up riots.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

BEAR
September 24th, 2018, 03:05 PM
I was gonna pick OTHER and choose UAPB vs. Florida International...but I think a possible 60 point line rules it out...

Now an upset there......xlolx

RootinFerDukes
September 24th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Lulz good one. Where's the Spatters at JMU option? Bridgeforth East is our pool house with a track around it.

katss07
September 24th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Lots of great games this week! Stony Brook vs Villinova, Eastern vs Montana St, UCA vs Sam, Kennesaw vs Samford are all great games with major conference abd playoff implications! Samford and Sam Houston can save their seasons this weekend. That said, the Marker game in Fargo is GOTW material at its finest.

SUPharmacist
September 24th, 2018, 04:45 PM
SDSU vs NDSU

#3 vs #1

If NDSU wins, they truly have no reason to not have all the 1st place votes and push even further away from what is perceived to be a 3 way race for the championship

If SDSU wins, they probably go to #1 and turmoil commences on AGS and Bisonville straight up riots.

I don't vote, but I would be quite conflicted on who to vote #1 if SDSU wins. While I get rewarding beating the #1 and generally ignoring last years results, that semifinal game last year I think would sway a fair amount of people to JMU. Also, I wonder how far NDSU would drop.

Preferred Walk-On
September 24th, 2018, 05:20 PM
I was gonna pick OTHER and choose UAPB vs. Florida International...but I think a possible 60 point line rules it out...

Now an upset there......xlolx

Did you see the Bills @ Vikings this weekend. Woof!

JSUSoutherner
September 24th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Tier 2C (Looked like "can’t-miss" matchups earlier; however, one team in each has underachieved, at least based on early expectations):
Austin Peay @ Jacksonville State

So which of us is the underachiever here?

Preferred Walk-On
September 24th, 2018, 05:30 PM

I don't want to bias your opinion, but I don't think I am as down on JSU as others on this board. Taking a 30 pt loss to UT-Martin however...xthumbsdownx

RabidRabbit
September 24th, 2018, 05:45 PM
I don't vote, but I would be quite conflicted on who to vote #1 if SDSU wins. While I get rewarding beating the #1 and generally ignoring last years results, that semifinal game last year I think would sway a fair amount of people to JMU. Also, I wonder how far NDSU would drop.A lot depends on how these teams play. Close battle, furious in the trenches warfare, then teams are about as expected. Top five, either way. If Jacks go into Fargo, and blow Bison out, then yeah, #1 is a reasonable vote, even from a Rabbit fan. Bison shouldnt fall below 5 until have at least 2 losses by mid Oct. If Jacks look like they did vs JMU in semis last year, down to 10 or lower.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

UpstateBison
September 24th, 2018, 07:05 PM

Both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catbooster
September 25th, 2018, 12:35 AM
Looks like SDSU @ NDSU has a slight lead for now.

ElCid
September 25th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Well, this seems pretty straight-forward and I am not even sure this thread was needed this week. Therefore, I am posting a poll with only two choices, and if you choose "other", please let us know why SDSU @ NDSU should not be the GOTW and what should be in its place. In the interest of putting thought into this beyond #3 vs. #1 and attempting to lessen my MVFC bias (or at least give that appearance), I have listed some other choices that could have been considered for GOTW...if SDSU were not playing NDSU. Enjoy!

Tier 1 (AGS #3 vs. #1, Marker, Joose?):
South Dakota State @ North Dakota State YES

Tier 2A (Intra-conference and all AGS ranked):
Villanova @ Stony Brook YES
Eastern Washington @ Montana State YES

Tier 2B (CAA’s suprises vs. IVY’s upper half):
Rhode Island @ Harvard NO
Maine @ Yale NO

Central Arkansas @ Sam Houston State NO, but barely
New Hampshire @ Elon Ha...NO
James Madison @ Richmond Umm, NO
Austin Peay @ Jacksonville State Really?...NO
Samford @ Kennesaw State NO, but barely

I don't think it a real good week for great match-ups, except the NDSU/SDSU game. I like your reasoning but most of those sub tier games you post may have looked good 2 weeks ago, as you pointed out, but they are now OBE for the most part, especially tier 2C. Some conference rivalries, and there may be some surprises, but most of these games are just uninteresting now considering how some of these teams have done.

grizband
September 25th, 2018, 10:54 AM
I don't think it a real good week for great match-ups, except the NDSU/SDSU game. I like your reasoning but most of those sub tier games you post may have looked good 2 weeks ago, as you pointed out, but they are now OBE for the most part, especially tier 2C. Some conference rivalries, and there may be some surprises, but most of these games are just uninteresting now considering how some of these teams have done.
I follow your logic here, but I am intrigued by the two CAA/Ivy match ups in Tier 2B. This would be a good metric by which to judge the level of play at the top (or relative top) of the Ivy League this season.

Preferred Walk-On
September 25th, 2018, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the input ElCid. I was really looking to provide some alternatives to an obvious GOTW and some reasoning for them, at least for discussion purposes, so I appreciate your thoughts. I felt that after Tier 1, they fell into three categories for me (hence the short explanation for the tiers). I don't know if I'd go as far to say they are uninteresting, as they still do have some significant conference ramifications for both the winners and losers; however, based strictly on AGS ranking and the rivalry factor, SDSU @ NDSU is just about as good as it gets.

Preferred Walk-On
September 25th, 2018, 12:58 PM
I follow your logic here, but I am intrigued by the two CAA/Ivy match ups in Tier 2B. This would be a good metric by which to judge the level of play at the top (or relative top) of the Ivy League this season.

This was really about Ivy bashing on this forum and the "put up or shut up" factor. Although the lack of playoff participation can (and still will be) bashable, good showings in both games by the Ivies could go a ways to earning some respect. You really just don't know until you play the games. Plus you have the added factor that the CAA representatives are doing well, and dare I say exceeding expectations. Thus, these games could be a barometer of for all of these teams going forward (depending on your opinion of CAA and Ivy Teams). Hence, my consideration of those games.

Preferred Walk-On
September 25th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Did I miss who the two "Other" votes were for?

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like SDSU @ NDSU has a slight lead for now.

There's still time... :D

CappinHard
September 25th, 2018, 01:27 PM
I don't vote, but I would be quite conflicted on who to vote #1 if SDSU wins. While I get rewarding beating the #1 and generally ignoring last years results, that semifinal game last year I think would sway a fair amount of people to JMU. Also, I wonder how far NDSU would drop.

It would be a joke if JMU is #1 over SDSU if SDSU beats NDSU in Fargo.

RootinFerDukes
September 25th, 2018, 01:41 PM
It would be a joke if JMU is #1 over SDSU if SDSU beats NDSU in Fargo.

Our SOS is considerably better than yours right now and what if we blowout UR? I could totally see a JMU #1 and either NDSU or SDSU 2 or 3. probably ndsu 3. It'll definitely be a debate.

TheKingpin28
September 25th, 2018, 04:50 PM
It would be a joke if JMU is #1 over SDSU if SDSU beats NDSU in Fargo.Read my post. Anyone who doesn't vote SDSU for #1 if they beat NDSU on the road would, imo, have some explaining to do.

katss07
September 25th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Read my post. Anyone who doesn't vote SDSU for #1 if they beat NDSU on the road would, imo, have some explaining to do.

JMU? You could argue that SDSU has had more talent in the past and beaten NDSU. That same team from the past was killed by the Dukes. Would SDSU realistically go to Virginia and beat them? Even with a win over the Bison I would be hesitant to have them leap the Dukes. Just my .2

TheKingpin28
September 25th, 2018, 07:04 PM
JMU? You could argue that SDSU has had more talent in the past and beaten NDSU. That same team from the past was killed by the Dukes. Would SDSU realistically go to Virginia and beat them? Even with a win over the Bison I would be hesitant to have them leap the Dukes. Just my .2If you watched the game, SDSU pissed it away, and at halftime were still right there after giving up multiple turnovers. Also, that was last year and what has JMU done this year? Outside of the preseason poll, last year means dog**** when it comes to this year.

RootinFerDukes
September 25th, 2018, 07:18 PM
If you watched the game, SDSU pissed it away, and at halftime were still right there after giving up multiple turnovers. Also, that was last year and what has JMU done this year? Outside of the preseason poll, last year means dog**** when it comes to this year.

What has anyone done other than beat cupcakes? All top three teams have done nothing but that.

JacksFan40
September 25th, 2018, 07:23 PM
If you watched the game, SDSU pissed it away, and at halftime were still right there after giving up multiple turnovers. Also, that was last year and what has JMU done this year? Outside of the preseason poll, last year means dog**** when it comes to this year.

For as many times as we turned it over, I can’t believe JMU didn’t 50 us. I can’t imagine we’ll ever see SDSU do that again, but you never know. I expect Saturday to be a possible GOTY candidate.

katss07
September 25th, 2018, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=TheKingpin28;2680372]If you watched the game, SDSU pissed it away, and at halftime were still right there after giving up multiple turnovers. Also, that was last year and what has JMU done this year? Outside of the preseason poll, last year means dog**** when it comes to this year.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
Tell me, if the roles here were reversed and JMU would have turned over the ball 10 times and lost, would they have “pissed the game away”? Nope. The Valley team would have gotten all the credit. No pissing involved.

TheKingpin28
September 25th, 2018, 07:36 PM
What has anyone done other than beat cupcakes? All top three teams have done nothing but that.I mean some people think tUNA is a T25 team and some thought Delaware was good, and some of us knew they weren't, but that is why SDSU would actually have a resume win and the best claim for the #1 spot. Same for NDSU getting all of the #1 votes should win on Saturday.

TheKingpin28
September 25th, 2018, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=TheKingpin28;2680372]If you watched the game, SDSU pissed it away, and at halftime were still right there after giving up multiple turnovers. Also, that was last year and what has JMU done this year? Outside of the preseason poll, last year means dog**** when it comes to this year.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
Tell me, if the roles here were reversed and JMU would have turned over the ball 10 times and lost, would they have “pissed the game away”? Nope. The Valley team would have gotten all the credit. No pissing involved.Bull****. You and I both know this.

JSUSoutherner
September 25th, 2018, 07:41 PM
I mean some people think tUNA is a T25 team and some thought Delaware was good, and some of us knew they weren't, but that is why SDSU would actually have a resume win and the best claim for the #1 spot. Same for NDSU getting all of the #1 votes should win on Saturday.

UNA will shock some folks next year.

TheKingpin28
September 25th, 2018, 07:49 PM
UNA will shock some folks next year. They are a legit team. I agree with why we can't vote for them, but if KSU stays that will make for a solid rivalry/seed game

Derby City Duke
September 25th, 2018, 08:38 PM
For as many times as we turned it over, I can’t believe JMU didn’t 50 us. I can’t imagine we’ll ever see SDSU do that again, but you never know. I expect Saturday to be a possible GOTY candidate.

We did hang 50 on you...it just took most of the game. Most of your turnovers were inside our 35 (21, 25, 35, 11). The one short field, we got a touchdown. Your defense just finally wore down and Goedert at maybe 50% really made it difficult for your offense.

Thumper 76
September 25th, 2018, 09:51 PM

Last years results should mean exactly dick after week 4 of the season.

Panther88
September 25th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Certainly NDSU vs SDSU is the marquee matchup w/ playoff/seeding implications.

In Dallas-TX, Prairie View A&M & Grambling St will battle before an anticipated crowd of 55K+ in the SFC for SWAC West positioning.

SUPharmacist
September 25th, 2018, 10:07 PM
Here's hoping NDSU wins and there is no debate as to who is #1 is even if JMU blows out Richmond. If SDSU wins, I have to think Rabidrabbit has the right idea that it depends on how the teams look to see who goes #1. SDSU would certainly have the better win this year compared to JMU. But if JMU performs well reasonable people can argue who should be #1, and anyone who believes otherwise is foolish.

Bisonator
September 26th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Here's hoping NDSU wins and there is no debate as to who is #1 is even if JMU blows out Richmond. If SDSU wins, I have to think Rabidrabbit has the right idea that it depends on how the teams look to see who goes #1. SDSU would certainly have the better win this year compared to JMU. But if JMU performs well reasonable people can argue who should be #1, and anyone who believes otherwise is foolish.
This is correct. If SDSU and JMU both win it'll come down to how both teams looked doing it. Same can be said for how far NDSU or SDSU fall in the rankings with a loss. You can't just go by W/L it's how teams perform IMO.

RootinFerDukes
September 26th, 2018, 08:44 AM
This is correct. If SDSU and JMU both win it'll come down to how both teams looked doing it. Same can be said for how far NDSU or SDSU fall in the rankings with a loss. You can't just go by W/L it's how teams perform IMO.

Bingo. This is why I "don't know" what I'd rank any of the three right now. It honestly depends on how all three teams perform next week. It can go a variety of paths depending on how games turn out.

RabidRabbit
September 26th, 2018, 04:50 PM
This is correct. If SDSU and JMU both win it'll come down to how both teams looked doing it. Same can be said for how far NDSU or SDSU fall in the rankings with a loss. You can't just go by W/L it's how teams perform IMO.Yes, if it's a double OT game, starting from a 21-21, or lower, then both teams have demonstrated that they are a top 5 team. Great defense each way, Offense? Just good enough and got a break for the win

Looking forward to hitting Tight Ends in Frisco,Tx for the game. Last hurrah as deploy to PR for Oct.

cx500d
September 26th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Yes, if it's a double OT game, starting from a 21-21, or lower, then both teams have demonstrated that they are a top 5 team. Great defense each way, Offense? Just good enough and got a break for the win

Looking forward to hitting Tight Ends in Frisco,Tx for the game. Last hurrah as deploy to PR for Oct.

Going to Puerto Rico? what for? Oh, you doing the rich person tax dodge thing?

RabidRabbit
September 27th, 2018, 06:07 AM
Puerto Rico asked for my expertise to help the survivors. Regarding Tight Ends, they are being tight wads and won’t be showing the Marker game.

CappinHard
September 27th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Goedert at maybe 50% really made it difficult for your offense.

TC with an undisclosed hand/wrist injury made it pretty difficult too.

McNeese75
September 27th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Go Rabbits!!!!

cx500d
September 27th, 2018, 06:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxiv3CBMS4M