PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 3 2018

superman7515
September 15th, 2018, 10:45 PM
Just a heads up that there are two teams still playing that were in the poll last week:

#18 Central Arkansas is currently in a weather delay; leading SELA 33-17.

#37 Prairie View is currently in a weather delay; down 27-0 against UNLV.

Since none of us have any control over when/if the games come out of delay, you'll just have to check the score until I get a chance to update in the morning.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cHxXW9AZdzH6HZIMnZbxoYfxWXNB7tHpOF3qmCXYn3Q/edit?usp=sharing

Going to be an interesting week, 7 of the top 11 teams either didn't play or lost, and 17 of the top 25. Some were expected, or "good" losses, but a few of those...

Remember that as long as the *** appears beside Sagarin and Massey, those numbers haven't been updated for this weekend's games. A few games just finished up, so articles aren't available in the links yet. If you see any errors, send me a message so I can get it fixed for everyone.

Good luck!

BEAR
September 15th, 2018, 11:00 PM
Thanks for doing this Supe!

After the rain delay I don't think UCA will have much trouble scoring to make it 40 - 17 as we are on their 16. SLU defense looks tired. I really didn't expect this after watching their good game vs UL Monroe and a strong effort against LSU. But you never know.

The Sammy score and the Nicholls score surprised me though.

No sooner I said that our RB crosses the goal line and is ruled down on the 1. xlolx

On on a more serious note an SLU lion is hurt pretty bad. Stretchered off. Prayers up.

SLU scores a trash TD to tighten the game up.

UCA 33
SLU 25
Final"........or should I say FINALLY!

Panther88
September 16th, 2018, 12:33 AM
Here's a new stat.

Long Snapper/Punter Point Shaving
=======================
PV to rice univ 9pts (1 TD and 1 Safety w/ the 38yd over the head snap)
PV to SHSU 17 pts (2 TDs 1 FG)
PV to unlv 16 pts (2 TDs 1 Safety)

I'm speechless. :-/

MTfan4life
September 16th, 2018, 06:12 AM
One thing I wanted to point out last week, but figured I'd wait another week for results.

Last weekend, Samford was lauded for hanging with Florida State and losing just at the end (they even rose in the rankings), while Sacramento State was rather ignored for doing the same exact thing against San Diego State. This weekend, San Diego State beat Arizona State and Florida State got roughed up by Syracuse. Not really trying to make a point about Sacramento State, but more of pointing out that hanging with Florida State isn't as flashy as it used to be. It'll all play out as the season goes on.

WestCoastAggie
September 16th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Here's a new stat.

Long Snapper/Punter Point Shaving
=======================
PV to rice univ 9pts (1 TD and 1 Safety w/ the 38yd over the head snap)
PV to SHSU 17 pts (2 TDs 1 FG)
PV to unlv 16 pts (2 TDs 1 Safety)

I'm speechless. :-/

Your team now has a really bad habit it must break.

Panther88
September 16th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Your team now has a really bad habit it must break.
Tryouts for walk-on long snapper/punter should be held lol. I sincerely hope PVAMU does not win the SWAC. NCA&T would embarrass us on the level of unlv from last night. They were very dominant on the ground. Their 6’6” qb is still running right now xlolx .

WestCoastAggie
September 16th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Tryouts for walk-on long snapper/punter should be held lol. I sincerely hope PVAMU does not win the SWAC. NCA&T would embarrass us on the level of unlv from last night. They were very dominant on the ground. Their 6’6” qb is still running right now xlolx .
Seriously, the Center should’ve become the LS after the follies in the MEAC/SWAC Challenge.

JMUNJ08
September 16th, 2018, 09:41 AM
One thing I wanted to point out last week, but figured I'd wait another week for results.

Last weekend, Samford was lauded for hanging with Florida State and losing just at the end (they even rose in the rankings), while Sacramento State was rather ignored for doing the same exact thing against San Diego State. This weekend, San Diego State beat Arizona State and Florida State got roughed up by Syracuse. Not really trying to make a point about Sacramento State, but more of pointing out that hanging with Florida State isn't as flashy as it used to be. It'll all play out as the season goes on.

Agreed. Really like Maine as well but UNH has looked like OG Rhody so hard to gauge. Have really been impressed by URI though, I know UCONN is a glorified FCS team with 85 schollies but that team should challenge all year (Chickens loss to them now looks like a quality L as well)

Cocky1
September 16th, 2018, 10:04 AM
JSU should move back into the Top 10 without even playing, due to losses by SHSU and Samford. That said, rankings mean very little at this point in the season. It's going to be a long nine weeks in a row with no bye week, and it ends vs KSE on the road.

Cocky1
September 16th, 2018, 10:07 AM
JSU should move back into the Top 10 without even playing, due to losses by SHSU and Samford. That said, rankings mean very little at this point in the season. It's going to be a long nine weeks in a row with no bye week, and it ends vs KSE on the road.
Meant to type KSU. aka; Kennesaw State University - The Owls.

RootinFerDukes
September 16th, 2018, 10:11 AM

I was about to say. No way is JSU a top 10 team, even after this week.

cx500d
September 16th, 2018, 10:36 AM

KSU is going way down in my poll this week. If they couldn't hang 90 pts on their SWAC opponent, they aren't worthy of consideration.

Panther88
September 16th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Seriously, the Center should’ve become the LS after the follies in the MEAC/SWAC Challenge.

He actually came in in the late 3rd qrtr and didn't miss not ONE deep snap. Ditto for start of the 4th. And then on the next to last offensive possession of the game, the original LS'er came in and guess what happened? unlv got an unearned safety lol and xsmhx .

ursus arctos horribilis
September 16th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Voters wondering about their ballots and confirmation emails need to look in on this thread for information.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?212696-2018-AGS-POLL-Week-3-TOP-25-VOTE-IS-OPEN

jmu007
September 16th, 2018, 11:59 AM
I feel like my poll isn't going to be worth a damn for at least another 2 weeks. So many losses once you go past the top 10 or so teams.

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2018, 12:49 PM
I feel like my poll isn't going to be worth a damn for at least another 2 weeks. So many losses once you go past the top 10 or so teams.

Yeah this year is rough.

TheKingpin28
September 16th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Outside of the top 10ish or so, you could grab a dart board with about 20-25 other teams and play whatever one sticks, that's what I am going with. This took me about 2 hours and I still feel disgusted by it.

POD Knows
September 16th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Outside of the top 10ish or so, you could grab a dart board with about 20-25 other teams and play whatever one sticks, that's what I am going with. This took me about 2 hours and I still feel disgusted by it.
Top 10, I had a problem after the top 4, this poll took me a long time and I am going to wait and see how much everybody else's poll suck before I even post mine.

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2018, 12:57 PM

Yeah, same. I feel like I'm forgetting someone. I put it away this morning and will pick it back up later and give it another look before I submit it.

TheKingpin28
September 16th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Top 10, I had a problem after the top 4, this poll took me a long time and I am going to wait and see how much everybody else's poll suck before I even post mine.

I said Top 10 as I know there are 4 teams that have separated themselves, but there is a group of teams from 5-10ish that are above the cluster**** known as everyone else.

Yeah, same. I feel like I'm forgetting someone. I put it away this morning and will pick it back up later and give it another look before I submit it.

This might be the toughest week I have had in all of my years of voting.

Mike296
September 16th, 2018, 01:26 PM
I said Top 10 as I know there are 4 teams that have separated themselves, but there is a group of teams from 5-10ish that are above the cluster**** known as everyone else.

This might be the toughest week I have had in all of my years of voting.

As a newbie to this, this week gave me a lot of trouble. This might be my worst poll yet. We’ll see when everyone starts posting polls where things sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Killamike259

RootinFerDukes
September 16th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Wow, 1-7 are pretty clear to me but then 8-25 is a complete crap shoot. No one wants to be ranked.

ksu_owls
September 16th, 2018, 02:35 PM
KSU is going way down in my poll this week. If they couldn't hang 90 pts on their SWAC opponent, they aren't worthy of consideration.

Auburn -vs- Alabama State 63-9; KSU wins 62-13 just a week later. I am not ignorant enough to suggest we are comparable to Auburn, but at what point do you suggest a team takes their foot off of the gas pedal? The past two weeks combined our starters have played exactly 2 snaps in the second half. I'm proud to be a fan of a classy team. I'm pretty sure your opinion will change zero outcomes of our future games-- just your credibility in ranking teams.

WestCoastAggie
September 16th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Auburn -vs- Alabama State 63-9; KSU wins 62-13 just a week later. I am not ignorant enough to suggest we are comparable to Auburn, but at what point do you suggest a team takes their foot off of the gas pedal? The past two weeks combined our starters have played exactly 2 snaps in the second half. I'm proud to be a fan of a classy team. I'm pretty sure your opinion will change zero outcomes of our future games-- just your credibility in ranking teams.

The irony is NDSU's style points compared to other top teams lacked this week. You can't say UNA is miles better than Alabama State, or most teams from the SWAC either. However, they have a 45-7 win over Cal Poly, who you can argue is better than UNA and Alabama State.

But it's splitting hairs at this point comparing resumes of this year's results 3-4 games in.

ksu_owls
September 16th, 2018, 03:22 PM
The irony is NDSU's style points compared to other top teams lacked this week. You can't say UNA is miles better than Alabama State, or most teams from the SWAC either. However, they have a 45-7 win over Cal Poly, who you can argue is better than UNA and Alabama State.

But it's splitting hairs at this point comparing resumes of this year's results 3-4 games in.

My point is if you're winning by ~40 points at half time then who cares what the 3rd string does the rest of the game with more conservative play calling. I'm as new to AGS as KSU is to the FCS playoffs, but I would expect those who poll for AGS to have more intellectual aptitude than whoever the other guy was. The more FCS football I see the more I realize KSU is a legitimate threat to any FCS team on any given day. There are several teams that would be extremely difficult to beat, but I would be willing to give the Owls a try.

WestCoastAggie
September 16th, 2018, 03:25 PM
My point is if you're winning by ~40 points at half time then who cares what the 3rd string does the rest of the game with more conservative play calling. I'm as new to AGS as KSU is to the FCS playoffs, but I would expect those who poll for AGS to have more intellectual aptitude than whoever the other guy was. The more FCS football I see the more I realize KSU is a legitimate threat to any FCS team on any given day. There are several teams that would be extremely difficult to beat, but I would be willing to give the Owls a try.

Agree 100%

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2018, 04:00 PM
He was being sarcastic, dude. Chill.

ksu_owls
September 16th, 2018, 04:15 PM
It’s hard to tell when a fan of NDSU is being sarcastic or stupid. But, I’m not familiar with his name or how he typically posts. I should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Cocky
September 16th, 2018, 04:21 PM
It’s hard to tell when a fan of NDSU is being sarcastic or stupid. But, I’m not familiar with his name or how he typically posts. I should give him the benefit of the doubt.

On AGS, its best to just assume everyone is a smartass poster and dont take any post personal. Head to the Political board for some great entertainment and examples.

kalm
September 16th, 2018, 04:34 PM

90 points and the SDSU score were a strong giveaway.

POD Knows
September 16th, 2018, 04:43 PM
It’s hard to tell when a fan of NDSU is being sarcastic or stupid. But, I’m not familiar with his name or how he typically posts. I should give him the benefit of the doubt.We are often sarcastic and stupid at the same time, so it is pretty tough to keep up.

WestCoastAggie
September 16th, 2018, 04:44 PM
On AGS, its best to just assume everyone is a smartass poster and dont take any post personal. Head to the Political board for some great entertainment and examples.

I personally enjoy the musings of the great Citdog.

kalm
September 16th, 2018, 04:45 PM

KSU is intriguing and their games against GSU, Samford, and JSU will shed some light but the SOS will get dragged down through conference play. Yes a threat to all on any day but recognize the gauntlet that the power conferences run.

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2018, 04:48 PM

Well .. the same Alabama St that beat MVSU by 7 in 2017, who NDSU beat by 65, and 4-7 SIU beat by 52, both in 2017 as well ... that Alabama St ?

I given Northern Alabama a year or so to build their roster woth the 63 schollie needed to compete ... they are much closer than mosst of SWAC amd MEAC already.

Any Given Sunday/Saturday applies to many games, but at some point ranking systems like Massey and Sagarin have to be given some consideration for how the compute every game ever played to come up with their rankings .. many many many data points. Many more than you or I could compute.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2018, 04:53 PM
Well .. the same Alabama St that beat MVSU by 7 in 2017, who NDSU beat by 65, and 4-7 SIU beat by 52, both in 2017 as well ... that Alabama St ?

I given Northern Alabama a year or so to build their roster woth the 63 schollie needed to compete ... they are much closer than mosst of SWAC amd MEAC already.

Any Given Sunday/Saturday applies to many games, but at some point ranking systems like Massey and Sagarin have to be given some consideration for how the compute every game ever played to come up with their rankings .. many many many data points. Many more than you or I could compute.

UNA is better than all of the SWAC and most of the MEAC right now.

Schism55
September 16th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Voting this week, ummmm, what a horror show >.>

cx500d
September 16th, 2018, 04:57 PM

It was more a poke at sdsu, but thanks for biting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2018, 05:06 PM
i was understating my point a bit ... a first for me ... to make same point. xnodx

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2018, 05:09 PM
At this point, my view of top 25 has not changed materially. It is still NDSU and JMU, and then everyone else. I will say SDSU is somewhat of a surprise. Not that they reloaded .. I've been touting them for many years. But I said before season, I don't doubt them, I just thought if ever there were a year to have to fall back some, this was it .. looks like I was wrong .. so far.

McCowboys
September 16th, 2018, 05:15 PM

I felt really ashamed of one of my picks last week and had a couple of posters who questioned who I had or didn't have in my poll, but ANY GIVEN SATURDAY!!! I was vindicated!!! Now this week I don't even know how to begin.

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Outside of the top 2ish or so, you could grab a dart board with about 20-25 other teams and play whatever one sticks, that's what I am going with. This took me about 2 hours and I still feel disgusted by it.

FIFY .. and I'm not exaggerating by much.

TheKingpin28
September 16th, 2018, 05:16 PM
FIFY .. and I'm not exaggerating by much.You have to at least 3-4

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

kalm
September 16th, 2018, 05:40 PM
At this point, my view of top 25 has not changed materially. It is still NDSU and JMU, and then everyone else. I will say SDSU is somewhat of a surprise. Not that they reloaded .. I've been touting them for many years. But I said before season, I don't doubt them, I just thought if ever there were a year to have to fall back some, this was it .. looks like I was wrong .. so far.

This. Some moving of the deck chairs between CAA, Big Sky, MVFC, SLC, and Southern teams but not really that much change.

WestCoastAggie
September 16th, 2018, 06:43 PM

UNA struggled with Alabama A&M in a tight ball game. A&M is at best 6-5 in that conference and got boat raced 63-7 by Cincinnati.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2018, 06:47 PM
UNA struggled with Alabama A&M in a tight ball game. A&M is at best 6-5 in that conference and got boat raced 63-7 by Cincinnati.

Tight game if it is in Florence?

Southern Bison
September 16th, 2018, 07:38 PM
It’s hard to tell when a fan of NDSU is being sarcastic or stupid. But, I’m not familiar with his name or how he typically posts. I should give him the benefit of the doubt.He was the only Bison fan in a winter coat for the NC game in January...it was a beautiful 55°. 🤨

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
September 16th, 2018, 07:52 PM
He was the only Bison fan in a winter coat for the NC game in January...it was a beautiful 55°. 廊

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That Southern Heat I tell you... xcoffeex

ursus arctos horribilis
September 17th, 2018, 09:37 AM
An hour and a half left so get your ballots in.

McCowboys
September 17th, 2018, 09:54 AM

I submitted an hour or two ago.

centennial
September 17th, 2018, 09:57 AM

Bump

ursus arctos horribilis
September 17th, 2018, 10:09 AM
I submitted an hour or two ago.

Yes, your name is listed int he poll voters forum in the "Poll Open" thread.

dbackjon
September 17th, 2018, 11:17 AM

And that is one reason why Samford is out of my poll and Sac State is in - more data points.

dbackjon
September 17th, 2018, 11:18 AM
I was about to say. No way is JSU a top 10 team, even after this week.

I am having a hard time finding ten top teams

dbackjon
September 17th, 2018, 11:20 AM

Agreed. I am not stressing too much about the bottom 15. Didn't consider any teams with losing record at this time (plenty of time for them to make it back in). But in reality, there were about 20 teams that could have been 13-25 or so in any order, or not in at all.

cx500d
September 17th, 2018, 08:15 PM
I am having a hard time finding ten top teams
There are 6 of them.