PDA

View Full Version : First time since 1980: 1 acc sweet 16 team

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM
A streak of 27 consecutive years with at least 2 ACC teams in the sweet 16 comes to an end this year as they are left with only UNC. Disappointing showings from other premier schools in the conference left only one team.

Dont know why this isnt getting much press but it is an unbelievable streak that has just come to an end.

As a Duke fan definately a disappointing year for sure but evryone will be back next year (assuming McRoberts stays) for better or for worse

AppGuy04
March 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Its getting alot of talk here in Raleigh

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 05:34 PM
Streak would have probably ended a lot sooner if Duke didn't get such favorable treatment from the committee as far as seeds/location goes.

NE MT GRIZZ
March 21st, 2007, 05:40 PM
It's not getting talked about because the NCAA, ESPN, and other East Coast biased media don't want to admit there is actually some good basketball in other conferences.xthumbsupx

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Streak would have probably ended a lot sooner if Duke didn't get such favorable treatment from the committee as far as seeds/location goes.
so you're saying puting up year after year (not this year) of 3 or 4 or 5 loss seasons when no one has fewer does not deserve them a one seed near to home? I am sorry but they have gotten the seeds they have deserved... give me an example of a time we were seeded too highly and i would love to debate it with you.

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 05:55 PM
so you're saying puting up year after year (not this year) of 3 or 4 or 5 loss seasons when no one has fewer does not deserve them a one seed near to home? I am sorry but they have gotten the seeds they have deserved... give me an example of a time we were seeded too highly and i would love to debate it with you.

Will do - let me do my research, and I will.

Let me ask you this - what did you think of their seeding this year?

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM
honestly I was expecting a seven but if you compare our rpi and number of loses to other schools we were very comparable to some 5's but i think 7 is where we should have been IMHO also you cant say Buffalo New York was a favorable sight for us!

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 06:06 PM
where do you think Duke should have been seeded this year? and was Buffalo far enough way for you?

I dont want to sound pushy just want a nice debate!

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM
where do you think Duke should have been seeded this year? and was Buffalo far enough way for you?

I dont want to sound pushy just want a nice debate!

Seven or Eight.

And yes, it was good for Duke to get out of the Carolinas for the week.

Duke has played in the Carolinas for the first round 7 of the last 12 tournaments. Of the five they didn't get home court placement, they lost in the first game TWICE. Duke only lost one game in the Carolinas in that stretch.

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
And I bet all seven of those were as a number one seed

do you mind that UNC is the same way and basically played in front of a powder blue nightmare in winston last week?

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM
And I bet all seven of those were as a number one seed

do you mind that UNC is the same way and basically played in front of a powder blue nightmare in winston last week?

One #2.

Yes - I believe that it gives an unfair advantage.

While I still cheered on Illinois in 2005, it wasn't correct for them to have played in Chicago. Of course, that was some payback for 1987(8?), when Illinois had to play Kentucky @ Kentucky for the right to get to the final four.

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 06:49 PM
but with the system currently in place that is how it works... the number one seeds get to play in the location nearest their university, once those are taken then the 2s get the closest to their location and so one... i remember one year a couple ago when duke and unc were both number ones and both played their opening weekend in greensboro...

my question to you is... do you have a problem with Duke, or do you have a problem with the system of how the locations are distributed?

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM
but with the system currently in place that is how it works... the number one seeds get to play in the location nearest their university, once those are taken then the 2s get the closest to their location and so one... i remember one year a couple ago when duke and unc were both number ones and both played their opening weekend in greensboro...

my question to you is... do you have a problem with Duke, or do you have a problem with the system of how the locations are distributed?

Both.

But especially with Duke xsmiley_wix I think a lot of people wouldn't give a rat's ass about Duke if Dookie V, Billy Packer and CBS weren't constantly shoving them in our faces.

crunifan
March 21st, 2007, 07:10 PM
Duke gets helped A LOT.

Lots of games aren't on neutral courts.

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 07:13 PM
Both.

But especially with Duke xsmiley_wix I think a lot of people wouldn't give a rat's ass about Duke if Dookie V, Billy Packer and CBS weren't constantly shoving them in our faces.
woah wait a minute there first of all Dookie V has done a total of 2 duke games this year so I dont know where that came from... Billy Packer went to, played for and coached at Wake Forest and can not stand Duke University so that is just an absurd comment and CBS ESPN and everyone else shows duke all the time because on a national scale they are the biggest draw in the country... wouldnt you show the team that brings in the most viewers? yeah me to

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 07:15 PM
woah wait a minute there first of all Dookie V has done a total of 2 duke games this year so I dont know where that came from... Billy Packer went to, played for and coached at Wake Forest and can not stand Duke University so that is just an absurd comment and CBS ESPN and everyone else shows duke all the time because on a national scale they are the biggest draw in the country... wouldnt you show the team that brings in the most viewers? yeah me to

You just lost any credibility there. If you can't even admit that DOOKIE V and Billy Packer pimp Duke all the time, then you are so blind to it that there is no debating.

And no, I will not watch Duke. I'd much rather see just about anyone else.

poly51
March 21st, 2007, 07:23 PM
How about 3 Pac 10 teams in the sweet sixteen. Maybe they can play basketball on the west coast.

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 07:26 PM
Dude what are you talking about i know dickie v loves duke i was just arguing he doesnt do as many games as he used to and if you think billy packer seriously likes duke then you dont listen or pay attention to anything, he has hated duke since the sixties, i am reading a book about acc basketball right where he is quoted as saying that he wanted to go to duke but they didnt offer him a scholarship and he has not forgotten that... listen to him anytime and you can see he HATES duke with a passion and if you cant understand that than not only do use lose credibility for not knowing your stuff but you are ignorant... BILLY PACKER HAS HATED DUKE DOES HATE DUKE AND ALWAYS WILL... know your facts...

and about the tv thing... thats great that you will not watch them but enough people around the country will to the point that it is the most profitable team in the country for them to show

AppGuy04
March 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM
Simple fact is, people ANYWHERE will watch UNC vs Duke

People on the east coast will not watch UCLA vs Oregon

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 09:09 PM

I think you overstate the lure of UNC/Duke out west.

Some will watch it just because it is on Network TV, just like some would watch UCLA/Oregon on the east coast.

Mr. C
March 21st, 2007, 09:26 PM
I tried to tell folks all year that it was a down year for the ACC, so I wasn't surprised about the performance of the league in the NCAAs. Personally, I don't think teams that finish at, or below .500 should EVER be considered for an at-large bid, no matter what conference they are from. That being said, if you had to put Duke in the tournament, I would have given them an 11th or 12th seed. And by the way, Appalachian State beats the ACC co-championship, Virginia, and beat the CAA champion Virginia Commonwealth (the team that beat Duke in the NCAAs). If you put Duke in the tournament, you could make a very strong case for Appalachian State being a higher seed than Duke. The ONLY reason that Duke got a No. 6 seed was reputation and nothing more.

Mr. C
March 21st, 2007, 09:29 PM

I'm one person on the east coast that would watch UCLA-Oregon. And if other people on the east coast don't want to watch two Sweet 16 teams, it them that are missing out. For crying out loud, UCLA is the BEST program in the history of college basketball. The Bruins have 11 NCAA titles, over twice as many as Duke and North Carolina combined.

poly51
March 21st, 2007, 09:47 PM
I'm one person on the east coast that would watch UCLA-Oregon. And if other people on the east coast don't want to watch two Sweet 16 teams, it them that are missing out. For crying out loud, UCLA is the BEST program in the history of college basketball. The Bruins have 11 NCAA titles, over twice as many as Duke and North Carolina combined.

You are correct. East coast bias is worse in basketball than it is in FCS Football. UCLA had a run that will probably never be equaled in any sport.

Mr. C
March 21st, 2007, 10:07 PM
An L.A. columnist I know was out here (in North Carolina) several years ago for the regionals and couldn't believe the arrogance she received from the North Carolina and Duke fans, even though UCLA was playing back here too. It was like those 10 titles in 12 years and seven in a row didn't happen. And ACC fans should get used to the fact that the Bruins will be back in the thick of things every year, now that Ben Howland is in charge of the Bruin program. Hey ACC, you have a rich history, but so do some other schools too.

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 10:39 PM
look at those titles UCLA won back then... they played much weaker competition leading up to those titles then duke or carolina did leading up to the final four where they finally met so the east coast teams would be worn out as i am sure you know the ncaa tourney was very regional back then so they would have a cake walk to the final four every year

also Most titles yes but look at wins, or winning percentage and that tells you a completely different story

I consider UCLA the fifth best program of all time when you consider longevity and not just titles behind
Kentucky
Kansas
UNC
Duke
UCLA

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 10:40 PM
An L.A. columnist I know was out here (in North Carolina) several years ago for the regionals and couldn't believe the arrogance she received from the North Carolina and Duke fans, even though UCLA was playing back here too. It was like those 10 titles in 12 years and seven in a row didn't happen. And ACC fans should get used to the fact that the Bruins will be back in the thick of things every year, now that Ben Howland is in charge of the Bruin program. Hey ACC, you have a rich history, but so do some other schools too.
yes but who has the best conference of all time???
thats right acc

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM
I tried to tell folks all year that it was a down year for the ACC, so I wasn't surprised about the performance of the league in the NCAAs. Personally, I don't think teams that finish at, or below .500 should EVER be considered for an at-large bid, no matter what conference they are from. That being said, if you had to put Duke in the tournament, I would have given them an 11th or 12th seed. And by the way, Appalachian State beats the ACC co-championship, Virginia, and beat the CAA champion Virginia Commonwealth (the team that beat Duke in the NCAAs). If you put Duke in the tournament, you could make a very strong case for Appalachian State being a higher seed than Duke. The ONLY reason that Duke got a No. 6 seed was reputation and nothing more.

Not to mention beating Sweet 16 participant Vanderbilt.

App St definately got screwed.

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 10:44 PM
look at those titles UCLA won back then... they played much weaker competition leading up to those titles then duke or carolina did leading up to the final four where they finally met so the east coast teams would be worn out as i am sure you know the ncaa tourney was very regional back then so they would have a cake walk to the final four every year

also Most titles yes but look at wins, or winning percentage and that tells you a completely different story

I consider UCLA the fifth best program of all time when you consider longevity and not just titles behind
Kentucky
Kansas
UNC
Duke
UCLA

UCLA
Kentucky
Kansas
UNC

Duke

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 10:44 PM
ok mr. c so duke deserves an 11 or 12????
so am i supposed to ignore the fact that duke played a top 5 schedule while asu's schedule was over 100?
am i supposed to ignore the fact that duke had an rpi in the top 20 while asu was in the fifties?
do you really think asu could have beaten Duke?
remember asu may have beaten uva and vcu but they also lost to elon and furman...
Duke would not have lost to those two terrible programs...
switch schedules and asu does worse and Duke loses two or three all year with the schedule that asu had
what is you and everyone elses problem with duke anyway???
JEALOUS?

by the way asu should have been in... but sure as hell not AHEAD of DUKE

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 10:45 PM
UCLA
Kentucky
Kansas
UNC

Duke
why duke so low???
more titles than kansas more wins than ucla
what more do you want

Mr. C
March 21st, 2007, 11:01 PM
ok mr. c so duke deserves an 11 or 12????
so am i supposed to ignore the fact that duke played a top 5 schedule while asu's schedule was over 100?
am i supposed to ignore the fact that duke had an rpi in the top 20 while asu was in the fifties?
do you really think asu could have beaten Duke?
remember asu may have beaten uva and vcu but they also lost to elon and furman...
Duke would not have lost to those two terrible programs...
switch schedules and asu does worse and Duke loses two or three all year with the schedule that asu had
what is you and everyone elses problem with duke anyway???
JEALOUS?

by the way asu should have been in... but sure as hell not AHEAD of DUKE
It's not about just strength of schedule. You have to beat somebody. App State can't control how good the teams in its conference are. But the Mountaineers did have one of the top non-conference schedules in the country (fourth or seventh, depending on who you talk to). As someone who has covered college basketball for 30 years, IMO that App State would have beaten Duke on a neutral site, or in Boone this season. The Mountaineers had a more balanced team. So App State loses one bad game to Elon (Furman was NOT a bad team, don't get caught up in RPIs, they were a talented, but underachieving squad. My bet is you didn't see Furman play this season. I saw them four times in person) and it negates ALL of the Mountaineers' great wins (Vanderbilt of the Sweet 16, Davidson, which almost beat Maryland in the NCAAs, Virginia, VCU).

What is this jealous stuff? I could care less whether the Dookies win or lose (I have NO investment in ANY ACC team). And why is an ASU fan singing the praises of Duke (you are in direct violation of several App Laws, as posted on the MMB xlolx xnodx :D)? I just want to see the little guy treated fairly and the little guy wasn't treated fairly by Duke getting a No. 6 seed.

Mr. C
March 21st, 2007, 11:13 PM

Kentucky
Kansas
UNC
Duke
UCLA
You are absolutely clueless, young grasshopper. Nothing is more important than winning titles, first of all and UCLA so far ahead of anyone else, it isn't even much of a debate. Duke's success isn't ANYWHERE close to UCLA's, or is UNC's. Kentucky and Kansas are closer to the Bruins, but still not there. You really need to read some history. It seems like you are more concerned with what has happened recently than looking at history. By the way, San Francisco and NC State have almost as many titles as UNC. Indiana has as many titles as UNC. Once again, you can't help but see an east coast bias to your list.

By the way, after UNC won the 1957 title, no ACC team won again until 1974 (NC State). That's a pretty long stretch for the "BEST" conference of all time.

Mr. C
March 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM
why duke so low???
more titles than kansas more wins than ucla
what more do you want
You really can't compare win totals when most of Duke's success has been in the 64-team era. UCLA didn't have the chance to fatten up on the dregs in those 1 vs 16 games.

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 11:20 PM
It's not about just strength of schedule. You have to beat somebody. App State can't control how good the teams in its conference are. But the Mountaineers did have one of the top non-conference schedules in the country (fourth or seventh, depending on who you talk to). As someone who has covered college basketball for 30 years, IMO that App State would have beaten Duke on a neutral site, or in Boone this season. The Mountaineers had a more balanced team. So App State loses one bad game to Elon (Furman was NOT a bad team, don't get caught up in RPIs, they were a talented, but underachieving squad. My bet is you didn't see Furman play this season. I saw them four times in person) and it negates ALL of the Mountaineers' great wins (Vanderbilt of the Sweet 16, Davidson, which almost beat Maryland in the NCAAs, Virginia, VCU).

What is this jealous stuff? I could care less whether the Dookies win or lose (I have NO investment in ANY ACC team). And why is an ASU fan singing the praises of Duke (you are in direct violation of several App Laws, as posted on the MMB xlolx xnodx :D)? I just want to see the little guy treated fairly and the little guy wasn't treated fairly by Duke getting a No. 6 seed.
so i guess you seem to forget those loses to clemson and virginia tech by about 30 points each, i love how you forget about those and dont tell me they shouldnt count just because we didnt have minter we had who we had and we lost...
I saw furman up here and down there in greenville as i traveled with my church group from first baptist thank you...
duke posted wins over air force (still alive in nit(neutral court)) georgetown(still alive in ncaa) davidson (ncaa tourney) gonzaga (ncaa tourney) clemson twice (still alive in nit) boston college twice (ncaa tourney) and georgia tech (ncaa tourney) now that is pretty impressive

direct violation of APP LAWS? what are you talking about... and more importantly who cares! both my parents graduated from and met at duke my brother is a student there currently (tuba in the pep band, tallest one when they show them) two grandparents cousins and more extended family went there if it wasnt for duke i would not be here because my parents met there... what i am getting at is i have every right to defend duke i was raised to love and still love duke... i love app st but i go here that is it i wasnt an idiot growing up i wouldnt be here i would be at the school i always have loved duke (thank God i came here though bc i met the most wonderful!) anyway there is no reason for you to tell i shouldnt defend dukexnonox

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 11:21 PM
You really can't compare win totals when most of Duke's success has been in the 64-team era. UCLA didn't have the chance to fatten up on the dregs in those 1 vs 16 games.
if youd like i could throw better winning percentage in there as well then your 64 team era excuse has no weight

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 11:26 PM
if youd like i could throw better winning percentage in there as well then your 64 team era excuse has no weight

No - because in the 64 team era,the #1 seed is guaranteed ONE win, and usually two.

Nice try, but you fail again.

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 11:30 PM
You are absolutely clueless, young grasshopper. Nothing is more important than winning titles, first of all and UCLA so far ahead of anyone else, it isn't even much of a debate. Duke's success isn't ANYWHERE close to UCLA's, or is UNC's. Kentucky and Kansas are closer to the Bruins, but still not there. You really need to read some history. It seems like you are more concerned with what has happened recently than looking at history. By the way, San Francisco and NC State have almost as many titles as UNC. Indiana has as many titles as UNC. Once again, you can't help but see an east coast bias to your list.

By the way, after UNC won the 1957 title, no ACC team won again until 1974 (NC State). That's a pretty long stretch for the "BEST" conference of all time.
Absolutely clueless???

wow i wish you knew who you were talking to... i have read more books on this subject than you could imagine and your ignorance surprises me more than anything...

Mr. C
March 21st, 2007, 11:32 PM
so i guess you seem to forget those loses to clemson and virginia tech by about 30 points each, i love how you forget about those and dont tell me they shouldnt count just because we didnt have minter we had who we had and we lost...
I saw furman up here and down there in greenville as i traveled with my church group from first baptist thank you...
duke posted wins over air force (still alive in nit(neutral court)) georgetown(still alive in ncaa) davidson (ncaa tourney) gonzaga (ncaa tourney) clemson twice (still alive in nit) boston college twice (ncaa tourney) and georgia tech (ncaa tourney) now that is pretty impressive

direct violation of APP LAWS? what are you talking about... and more importantly who cares! both my parents graduated from and met at duke my brother is a student there currently (tuba in the pep band, tallest one when they show them) two grandparents cousins and more extended family went there if it wasnt for duke i would not be here because my parents met there... what i am getting at is i have every right to defend duke i was raised to love and still love duke... i love app st but i go here that is it i wasnt an idiot growing up i wouldnt be here i would be at the school i always have loved duke (thank God i came here though bc i met the most wonderful!) anyway there is no reason for you to tell i shouldnt defend dukexnonox
You show you know next to nothing about App basketball by citing the Clemson and Virginia Tech games. Did you forget that was BEFORE Donte Minter was on the team. I didn't forget those games at all (you didn't mention them in your other post). The Mountaineers were 20-5 with Minter in the lineup. How many times did you sit in the stands (behind me on press row) at the Holmes Center this season? Also did you know that ASU was 5-1 against NCAA teams this season? Having seen Furman twice, you should have known the Paladins were one of the most talented teams in the SoCon. It was NO surprise that the Paladins made it to the SoCon tourney semifinals.

No one is putting down Duke's wins. I just honestly think that Appalachian State was a better team this season.

On App laws, I'm sure some of the older App State supporters around here can fill you in.

Frankly, I don't understand how ANY person can be more of a fan of some school they DIDN'T attend than one they DO attend. I am a Fresno State alum, I grew up in Fresno and I bleed Bulldog Red. I was wearing my Bulldog T-shirt at The Library last week when I watched both Fresno State and App State play in the NIT.

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 11:32 PM
Absolutely clueless???

wow i wish you knew who you were talking to... i have read more books on this subject than you could imagine and your ignorance surprises me more than anything...

Dude - Mr. C has been covering/PROFESSIONALLY writing about sports far longer than you have been alive. You are embarrassing yourself with your blind Duke love.

Mountaineer
March 21st, 2007, 11:34 PM
I think appfan2008 got lost along the way. xrolleyesx

The ACC Boards (http://accboards.com/forums/index.php) and the Dook forum (http://accboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=35) are that way --------------->

Mr. C
March 21st, 2007, 11:40 PM
Absolutely clueless???

My ignorance? I was COVERING college basketball when you were in diapers (and, as someone else noted, also before you were born). Anyone who doesn't put UCLA at the top of the best college basketball programs of all time, really doesn't show much historical perspective. I saw the UCLA-Houston game when I was a kid. I saw Notre Dame end UCLA's 88-game win streak (what is Duke's record for consecutive wins?). I watched all of those NCAA championship games from the 1960s and 1970s. I saw NC State and Maryland play that historic 1974 ACC tournament final. I remember when the NIT used to be shown on CBS back in the 1970s. I watched Magic and Bird square off in 1979. I had a first-hand view of those classic UNLV teams of the early 1990s. I've covered several NCAA tournaments. You are arguing with the wrong person on basketball history.

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 11:57 PM
so because I was born after you were already old makes me ignorant? umm no

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 12:00 AM
No, your comments and arguments do that. But I'll match my basketball knowledge with you any time. Experience does count for something and you need to realize that talking to someone who has actually been there can enlighten you. I've seen what you've only read about.

appfan2008
March 22nd, 2007, 12:06 AM
i have talked to plenty of family members that have been to plenty of big games, my father for instance has been to 12 final fours all of which duke has participated in and i have been to 3 call me young but that aint bad

Cleets
March 22nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
This has been (by far) the most interesting and embarrassing string of posts I've yet to witness on this forum...

when somebody says "college basketball" and "March" and you hear anything other than UCLA... you're dealing with an idiot...

basically it's UCLA and then some far off distant second..

I hate the Yankees but I know enough to know that when you say "Major League Baseball" and "October" it's the Yankees...

These things are not debatable they are absolutes

-

poly51
March 22nd, 2007, 02:12 AM

Kentucky
Kansas
UNC
Duke
UCLA

UCLA's Record in the 10 Championship seasons.

1964 30-0 Beat Duke in the Championship 98-83
1965 28-2 Beat Michigan 91-80
1967 30-0 Beat Dayton 79-64
1968 29-1 Beat North Carolina 78-55
1969 29-1 Beat Purdue 92-72
1970 28-2 Beat Jacksonville 80-69
1971 29-1 Beat Villanova 68-62
1972 30-0 Beat Florida State 81-76
1973 30-0 Beat Memphis 87-66
1975 ?? Beat Kentucky 92-85

That is about the best ever.

aggie6thman
March 22nd, 2007, 03:12 AM
I had no idea that basketball existed west of the Mississippi River. You mean the college basketball world spreads beyond the Raleigh-Durham area? xconfusedx xconfusedx

I picked the VCU upset because Duke was just not that good of a team. To not realize that is absurd. Some teams get bids because of their reputation, and receive higher seeds because of that sentiment. Duke showed their true colors against VCU.

Mr. C is spot on with everything he has said in this thread.xbowx xbowx

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 05:58 AM
Yeah, I guess players like Walt Hazzard, Gail Goodrich, Keith Erickson, Lew Alcindor, Mike Warren, Lucious Allen, Len Shackleford, Bill Walton, Swen Nater, Brad Holland, Sidney Wicks, Curtis Rowe, Steve Patterson, Richard Washington, Marques Johnson, Dave Meyer etc. won all of those championships only because they played such WEAK west coast competition and all of those east coast teams were just so worn out from a season's worth of competition — particularly those that had to play in that TOUGH ACC.

UCLA was 58-2 during the Lew Alcindor era and won 88 straight games during the Bill Walton era. There was also a 73-game win streak in there somewhere, in addition to the 88-game streak. Maybe the Bruins won seven straight NCAA titles and 10 in 12 years because they had more TALENT than any other team. You could take the Alcindor team, or the Walton team and they would still dominate college basketball today. And don't forget what a great coach that UCLA had in the unflapable John Wooden.

proasu89
March 22nd, 2007, 02:48 PM
I think appfan2008 got lost along the way. xrolleyesx

The ACC Boards (http://accboards.com/forums/index.php) and the Dook forum (http://accboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=35) are that way --------------->
Too many App Laws violated to even count. xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx

I bet he doesn't say we when referring to dook come Septemberxlolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 22nd, 2007, 03:10 PM
UCLA's Record in the 10 Championship seasons.

1964 30-0 Beat Duke in the Championship 98-83
1965 28-2 Beat Michigan 91-80
1967 30-0 Beat Dayton 79-64
1968 29-1 Beat North Carolina 78-55
1969 29-1 Beat Purdue 92-72
1970 28-2 Beat Jacksonville 80-69
1971 29-1 Beat Villanova 68-62
1972 30-0 Beat Florida State 81-76
1973 30-0 Beat Memphis 87-66
1975 ?? Beat Kentucky 92-85

That is about the best ever.

I recall all the build up for that game with Jacksonville. Everybody thought it was going to end the UCLA streak because JU had 7'2" (IIRC) Artis Gilmore. They also had a pretty good guard, Rex Morgan (IIRC??), who played in the pros for awhile. But Sidney Wicks came out and blocked, really stuffed, the first couple of shots Artis took. It set the tone of the game and UCLA didn't look back.

Not that I didn't have respect for John Wooden, but it grew immensely after watching Sidney Wicks and Curtis Rowe in Celtic's uniforms. He actually got them to play quality basketball unlike during their pro days!

Yes, UCLA had an easier route to the Final Four in those true regional days before the tournament expanded to 32 teams. But they had great teams that probably win all those titles regardless. All those great players who bought into Wooden's team concept! Not too many teams with Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) or Bill Walton protecting the back line were going to lose many games.

BTW, every time I see a map of Florida and the town of Chipley out there on the Panhandle, I think of ol' Artis. Am I remembering his hometown correctly?

appfan2008
March 22nd, 2007, 11:32 PM
Too many App Laws violated to even count. xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx

I bet he doesn't say we when referring to dook come Septemberxlolx
you better hold onto that qoute because I will I always have referred to everything duke or asu as we

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 11:42 PM
I recall all the build up for that game with Jacksonville. Everybody thought it was going to end the UCLA streak because JU had 7'2" (IIRC) Artis Gilmore. They also had a pretty good guard, Rex Morgan (IIRC??), who played in the pros for awhile. But Sidney Wicks came out and blocked, really stuffed, the first couple of shots Artis took. It set the tone of the game and UCLA didn't look back.

Not that I didn't have respect for John Wooden, but it grew immensely after watching Sidney Wicks and Curtis Rowe in Celtic's uniforms. He actually got them to play quality basketball unlike during their pro days!

Yes, UCLA had an easier route to the Final Four in those true regional days before the tournament expanded to 32 teams. But they had great teams that probably win all those titles regardless. All those great players who bought into Wooden's team concept! Not too many teams with Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) or Bill Walton protecting the back line were going to lose many games.

BTW, every time I see a map of Florida and the town of Chipley out there on the Panhandle, I think of ol' Artis. Am I remembering his hometown correctly?
That was one of those championships where the Bruins won when they didn't have as many talented players. Wicks and Rowe may have been UCLA's best set of forwards, however. Wicks had a great championship game with 17 points and 18 rebounds as well, with Rowe adding 19 points and Steve Patterson 17 points and 11 rebounds against Jacksonville's strong back line in an 80-69 win. Gilmore had 19 points and 16 rebounds, but he was 9-of-29 shooting and fouled out. Joe Williams, who moved on to Furman was Jacksonville's coach.