PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-10

JALMOND
September 11th, 2018, 12:20 AM
Two weeks in to the season and still a bunch of questions to be answered by most of the conference teams (and some have new questions that need to be answered). Some impressive performances so far in non-conference action, and some not so hot showings. Once we get in to conference play, things should iron out. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). Really not much movement this time around. As usual, all are my opinion only. Here we go.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week won at Northern Arizona 31-26, this week at Washington State (FBS Pac-12)---Did the Eagles eliminate their biggest threat in the conference race last week or are there still some others out there? They won't be awestruck this week as they have won at Wazzu before.

2. Montana (4)---Last week beat Drake (Pioneer) 48-16, this week at Western Illinois (Missouri Valley)---The Grizzlies are looking sharp after overcoming a slow start to put away a non-scholly team. What is strange is that Hauck seems to have picked up where he left off. Tough road game this weekend.

3. Weber State (3)---Last week, won at Cal Poly 24-17, this week South Dakota (Missouri Valley) at home---Some sluggish performances can be expected as the Wildcats work out some bugs in the offense, but they are relying on their defense to pull them through. This week a tough Missouri Valley team comes calling.

4. Sacramento State (5)---Last week, lost at San Diego State (FBS Mountain West) 28-14, this week at Northern Colorado (non-conference)---Oh so close for the Hornets last week as they were up 1 late in the 4th quarter against a Mountain West team who is expected to contend for their conference title. They get a weird non-conference tilt this weekend against a fellow Big Sky team.

5. Northern Arizona (2)---Last week lost to Eastern Washington at home, 31-26, this week at Missouri State (Missouri Valley)---Poised to make a statement, the Lumberjacks lost the game and their quarterback. Now they have to hit the road and enter Missouri Valley territory, something that isn't always an easy thing to do.

6. UC-Davis (6)---Last week, beat San Diego (Pioneer) at home 54-21, this week at Stanford (FBS Pac-12)---The Aggies woke up just in time last weekend and avoided a possible embarrassment to a non-scholly team. Flying high, they have to head back to the Bay Area and play one of the top dogs in the Pac-12.

7. Montana State (7)---Last week lost at South Dakota State (Missouri Valley) 45-14, this week Wagner (Northeast) at home---Feeling good after a comeback home win against the Missouri Valley, the Bobcats found the road through the Valley to be much tougher. They come back home to face what should be an easier opponent from an easier conference.

8. Idaho (8)---Last week, beat Western New Mexico (DII) at home 56-10, this week, bye---The Vandals recovered from being FBS road kill the week before, in order to feast on DII road kill at their house. Being road kill and eating road kill should give one a reason to take the week off.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---Last week, lost at South Dakota (Missouri Valley) 43-28, this week Sacramento State (non-conference) at home---The Bears found that, while they may make things interesting coming back against the Southland, it doesn't work against the Missouri Valley. This week, they welcome the Hornets in a non-conference matchup.

10. Southern Utah (10)---Last week, lost at Oregon State (FBS Pac-12) 48-25, this week at Arizona (FBS Pac-12)---Any chance the Thunderbirds might have entertained at pulling off the upset was put to rest early on against the Pac-12. They get to stay in the Pac-12 this weekend, but they face a struggling team this weekend.

11. Idaho State (11)---Last week, bye, this week at California (FBS Pac-12)---The Bengals welcomed a win over a DII school by taking last week off, giving them two weeks to prepare for a Pac-12 opponent. Hard to believe, but two weeks may not even be enough preparation. But they will play.

12. Cal Poly (12)---Last week, lost to Weber State at home 24-17, this week Brown (Ivy) at home---Maybe the Mustangs are turning the corner and will make some noise this year. They certainly gave their brethren, Weber State all they could handle in a home loss. This week, an unusual matchup as they bring in an Ivy League school.

13. Portland State (13)---Last week, lost at Oregon (FBS Pac-12) 62-14, this week, College of Idaho (NAIA) at home---Being that the excitement of last week's game was not if the Vikings would lose but by how much, the outcome was encouraging. They come in for their home away from home opener this weekend, and should snap their long losing streak.

RECAP: 1, then 2-6, 7-10 a bit behind, 11-12 lagging, 13 off the pace

Iridebikes
September 11th, 2018, 07:24 AM
I want to disagree with you on Davis but not sure how I'd rate all of them. Davis at 6 just seems to low for a team that beat and FBS school and defeated USD. The USD victory is just as good as Montana's win over Butler.

I'll go this way:

EWU
Montana
UC Davis
Weber
NAU
Sac State
Montana State
Idaho
UNC
SUU
Idaho Stae
Cal PolY
PSU

AggiePride
September 11th, 2018, 08:22 AM
I thought SD had won playoff games in consecutive years, seems a bit of a slight (to them) to just call them a “non-scholly team”, no embarrassment there IMO. But yeah, we had one bad quarter.

wapiti
September 11th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Thank you Jalmond. I always enjoy reading your short write-ups on each team and your ranking.
Here is my shot at it.

1. Eastern Washington ---Got a good W beating NAU at their place.

2. Montana ---UM is playing well and getting its swagger back.

3. Weber State ---I was a bit surprised by how close the score was, but the game was at CP.

4. UC-Davis ---SD kept it close for a half, but then UCD thumped 'em in the 2nd half.

5. Sacramento State --- Kept the game very close against a decent FBS team.

6. Northern Arizona ---Kept it close against EWU

7. Idaho ---Their next game UC Davis should tell us much about how good and bad Idaho is.

8. Montana State ---The Cats were spanked by SDSU. The Cats have a lot to work on. I was tempted to put them as low as 11.

8.5 UND

9. Southern Utah ---SUU is not making it easy for themselves. They next take on FBS Arizona.

10. Northern Colorado ---Sac state coming for a OOC visit. This game should tell us much about both teams.

11. Idaho State ---Had a bye. I do not like byes in the first 3 weeks of the season.

12. Cal Poly --- Played it fairly close against the BBQ, but ended up with a L.

13. Portland State ---Should get a W this weekend against College of Idaho.

putter
September 11th, 2018, 09:25 AM
Montana, IMO, too high. They need to show the O-Line can do something. No running game and Snead has been running for his life, even against Drake. I thought, after what NDSU didi to Poly, Weber would win by more.

THE DANIMAL
September 11th, 2018, 12:54 PM
1. EWU
2. UC Davis
3. N. Arizona (TIE)
Montana
5. Sac. St. (TIE)
Weber St.
7. Idaho (TIE)
MSU
N. Colorado
S. Utah
11. Idaho St. (TIE)
Cal Poly
Portland St.

Silenoz
September 11th, 2018, 02:25 PM
EWU
UC Davis
NAU
Sac State
Montana
Montana State
Weber
UNC
SUU
Idaho
Idaho State
Cal Poly
PSU

uofmman1122
September 12th, 2018, 07:20 PM
EWU
UC Davis
NAU
Sac State
Montana
Montana State
Weber
UNC
SUU
Idaho
Idaho State
Cal Poly
PSU

This seems to be the most accurate, IMO.