PDA

View Full Version : Big South Expansion News Conference

Pages : 1 [2]

Go...gate
March 20th, 2007, 07:13 PM
No...the proponent of the AE football. Albany, was the school that came up with the plan.

They designed the "slide show", etc.

We are sitting tight. If the AE doesnt happen...and the CAA split happens...there will be no need for AE football...as you may see a re invention of the old Yankee conference, essentially the AE and CAA schools plus Albany and a few others.

IMO, there is a good chance of this.

Go...gate
March 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM
First, congratulations to Stony Brook. I'm surprised this topic has surpassed 25 pages of comments in the off-season, but good for them.

Albany comparisons aside, this is a win-win for SBU and the Big South. Stony Brook has ambitions beyond Wagner and St. Francis, and being a I-AA independent wasn't going to cut it. The move positions SBU as a credible candidate if the AEC (or even Atlantic 10) choose to add football in the coming years.

A win for the Big South, too. While SBU's short-time may be along the lines of Towson in the Patriot Legue, it gets the league to the minimum six schools to at least start the discussion of an autobid, provides a little extra press for those schools visiting New York every other year, and sends a message to other schools that the Big South is a big tent for aspiring programs (read=Morehead St., Kennesaw St., Jacksonville, Campbell, etc.) Clearly not all of these aspire to 63 scholarships just yet, but the Big South is now an option.

To the concerns of some PL fans out there that this is a temblor for the Great Eastern Earthquake to come, I don't think so. Much like Buffalo going to the MAC, it's more a marriage of convenience than a seismic shift and I hope it works out for both of them.

Agreed. But it is fun to speculate. :)

Seawolf97
March 20th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Looking forward to new competition in the new conference in 2008. Our non conference schedule going forward will have Colgate, UMass, Brown , Maine and of course Hofstra. Hopefully when anyone comes North for a road game you get visit Manhattan a day or so before the game. Just an FYI- Long Island can be cold and windy in November.
Once again looking forward to new teams and good games!

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Jacksonville is really adding schollys right. It wasn't a made up smoke screen was it?

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Looking forward to new competition in the new conference in 2008. Our non conference schedule going forward will have Colgate, UMass, Brown , Maine and of course Hofstra. Hopefully when anyone comes North for a road game you get visit Manhattan a day or so before the game. Just an FYI- Long Island can be cold and windy in November.

Albany is not on those schedules?

I find that hard and shocking to believe.

Seawolf97
March 20th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Albany, CCSU and Monmouth are on those schedules. I guess the way it work out is 5 non conference games a year. The Stonybrook website for sports has a good write up on the move.

Go...gate
March 20th, 2007, 08:20 PM

Glad we are staying on as a new opponent for a couple of years.

Dabnus Brickey
March 20th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I personally believe South Carolina State and Florida A&M University would make find additions to Big South Conference..

Guys this would great for the Big South. We've made a monumental mistake.

Coastal89
March 20th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Looking forward to new competition in the new conference in 2008. Our non conference schedule going forward will have Colgate, UMass, Brown , Maine and of course Hofstra. Hopefully when anyone comes North for a road game you get visit Manhattan a day or so before the game. Just an FYI- Long Island can be cold and windy in November. Once again looking forward to new teams and good games!
Here's an FYI for the Seawolves, Myrtle Beach is hot(80s-90s) and humid(80%) in Oct & Nov.

Dabnus Brickey
March 20th, 2007, 08:43 PM
The Big South will now be known as;
The Eastern Conference,
The Big Spread Out Conference
The Big Travel Headache Conference,
The I'm never going there for an away game Conference,
The Small East

appsfan
March 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM
The Eastern Conference,
The Small East
How about "The Big Eastern Seaboard Conference?"xconfusedx

dbackjon
March 20th, 2007, 08:59 PM
xlmaox at those who think that Stony Brook is a long trip for any Big South team.

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 09:07 PM
1. La Tech to Hawaii 2. Denver to FIU 3. S.Utah to Oakland(MI)

those are the top 3 conf trips. I'm sure Hawaii could qualify for 1,2, & 3. I didn't want to use a name more than once.

Stony Brook to any of the BSC is not so bad.

Seawolf97
March 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I happen to think Myrtle Beach is great! Been there alot and I dont play golf but the food , the beach and people make it a great vacation place. I know about the heat been down there in July always make a Pelican Game too. Even took in Coastal baseball game a couple of years ago.

gr8ness97
March 20th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Well if the "Big South" can include a team from New York, perhaps they have room for Cal Poly and UC Davis as well. xlolx

That woulda kept the Big South name politically correct....
OR

They could have become the Spread-Out South, Really Big South, or Super Big South. (Southern Conference woulda worked too, but thats already taken :p )

rokamortis
March 20th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I like The New South xcoolx

rokamortis
March 20th, 2007, 09:25 PM
We've made a monumental mistake.

Please explain. I don't see how there is a monumental mistake.

gr8ness97
March 20th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Please explain. I don't see how there is a monumental mistake.

I think his idea was better too, in which to invite some MEAC school that was looking to move up somewhere...

Although they may not have went with it, who knows?

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 09:31 PM
The BSC only has 7 FB members, if they wanted the could still add a couple of MEAC schools but they would probably have to be full members because the MEAC would probably kick them out for leaving their conference which already has FB

SuperJon
March 20th, 2007, 09:35 PM
We're just trying to make the South bigger.

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 09:37 PM
super, wasn't it you that I told it would be SBU and no one else. Cha ching I got it. What do I win? not a damn thing.

rokamortis
March 20th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I think his idea was better too, in which to invite some MEAC school that was looking to move up somewhere...

Although they may not have went with it, who knows?

Any school that is not full DI right now doesn't help us. I would love to have some of the MEAC schools in the BSC, but as of right now it is only dreams and wishes of a few fans - nothing tangible at all. That will not help the BSC build itself into a better, stronger league. Adding Stony Brook is a step in the right direction. As stated earlier, adding a school from NY doesn't preclude any other schools from joining at a later date - in fact I think it will encourage others to give the BSC a more serious look.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Well if the "Big South" can include a team from New York, perhaps they have room for Cal Poly and UC Davis as well. xlolx
The Big South and the Great West discussed the possibility of a merger in the summer of 2005. Big South ADs discussed the topic during a meeting the morning before the 2005 media luncheon. There were a lot of concerns from both sides about the expenses involved with all of the cross-country travel. That pretty much put the subject on the back-burner.

If the Great West sees its expansion hopes (North Dakota, South Dakota, Pacific and San Diego could all be possibilities to join Cal Poly, UC Davis and Southern Utah) fizzle, then perhaps all parties could revisit the subject in the next year or two.

appfan2008
March 20th, 2007, 10:17 PM
The Big South and the Great West discussed the possibility of a merger in the summer of 2005. Big South ADs discussed the topic during a meeting the morning before the 2005 media luncheon. There were a lot of concerns from both sides about the expenses involved with all of the cross-country travel. That pretty much put the subject on the back-burner.

If the Great West sees its expansion hopes (North Dakota, South Dakota, Pacific and San Diego could all be possibilities to join Cal Poly, UC Davis and Southern Utah) fizzle, then perhaps all parties could revisit the subject in the next year or two.
other than costs it would sure would be nice to see these two conferences join forces because if they did they would assuredly garner an all important automatic bid but if they dont i dont see it coming any time soon to either conference on their own

gr8ness97
March 20th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Any school that is not full DI right now doesn't help us. I would love to have some of the MEAC schools in the BSC, but as of right now it is only dreams and wishes of a few fans - nothing tangible at all. That will not help the BSC build itself into a better, stronger league. Adding Stony Brook is a step in the right direction. As stated earlier, adding a school from NY doesn't preclude any other schools from joining at a later date - in fact I think it will encourage others to give the BSC a more serious look.

i was looking more towards the full members( NC A&T, SCSU, NSU, DSU, FAMU), not provisional schools (WSSU)...

SuperJon
March 20th, 2007, 10:42 PM
other than costs it would sure would be nice to see these two conferences join forces because if they did they would assuredly garner an all important automatic bid but if they dont i dont see it coming any time soon to either conference on their own

2010 The Big South will have a bid. I don't know if it'll be in a 24 or 16 team playoff, but they'll have a bid.

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 10:43 PM
If it is a 16 playoff...who do you suppose, rather where do you suppose, that bid is coming from?!

Sly Fox
March 20th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Adios, OVC.

SuperJon
March 20th, 2007, 11:15 PM
If it is a 16 playoff...who do you suppose, rather where do you suppose, that bid is coming from?!

Whichever conference was ranked 9th at the end of the 2009 season.

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 11:27 PM
If the MEAC decides to have a HBCU championship with the SWAC over a playoff spot, that could be an opening.

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I guess y'all are missing my point. If the playoffs remain at 16...any league losing their bid (the 9th rated league) will cry holy bloodletting.

I guarantee you this: If Albany truly believed it were the case (guaranteed auto-bid) they would have jumped ship in a heartbeat. This is something they have been working to achieve for a long time.

If it stays at 16...I wouldnt bet my money on or against the BS receiving a bid. You are talking about leagues who have long historical associations with the FCS community. You are talking about future scheduling arrangements in NON-FOOTBALL SPORTS.

The likely candidates --The PL, The MEAC, and The OVC-- all have their own leverage. Most are political, some financial.

This isnt a slam dunk.

Now, if the OVC somehow implodes....that is another story (schools moving up and out ala following Samford).

THE MEAC move that Fresno State alludes to, would be the easiest route, however I dont forsee that happening.

Sly Fox
March 20th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I disagree with your notion, Dane96. But I understand your mindset. It does have some validity. But the way the system is currently set up they have to make decisions based on current facts. And if the Big South is rated higher than another (or more likely several) league then they'll have to give the Big South its auto bid.

I don't see how other sports play into the argument since the Big South competes in nearly every sport and has for two decades.

Mr. C
March 21st, 2007, 12:29 AM
Politics will play more into it than you want to admit, unfortunately.

gr8ness97
March 21st, 2007, 01:11 AM
If the MEAC decides to have a HBCU championship with the SWAC over a playoff spot, that could be an opening.

God, PLEASE tell me that doesnt happen..

rokamortis
March 21st, 2007, 05:52 AM
Politics will play more into it than you want to admit, unfortunately.

I don't disagree with you, but there could be a huge backlash. If the Big South can stay in the power rankings about where they were this year, I feel that the NCAA will have a hard time justifying keeping an eligible autobid league out that has better power rankings than 3 or 4 other autobid leagues.

It is the NCAA's rule that they determine who gets the bids on a yearly basis, so they should follow their own mandate. But I also feel that the NCAA won't be put in that situation as there will be expansion to a 24 team payoff by then.

henfan
March 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM
Regarding the CAA, I'll reiterate that there have been absolutely no reported discussions about a potential breakup of the Olympic sport league from any credible sources. In fact, no school has publicly expressed dissatisfaction with membership since the last round of expansion. Any speculation to the contrary should be taken for what it's worth.

There have been media reports prior to the additions of NU and Georgia State that the conference was considering expanding the Olympic sport league to 14 teams. The idea is that the league could then split into two 7-team divisions for most sports & schedule accordingly to save on travel. While the league didn't end up going that route in 2004 and there's been no reported discussions on the topic since then, it's possible the CAA could still go to 14 teams for Olympic sports at some point.

If you consider the last expansion of the league's footprint down to Atlanta and up to Boston, it should be pretty obvious that the CAA still need to address the geographical gaps between GSU to UNC-Wilmington and then Hofstra to Northeastern. And if the CAA does decide to expand, they do not need to pick up two schools sponsoring FB, though at least one likely would fit that profile. That's pure speculation on my part; take it for what it's worth.

As for its FB league, the CAA would like to minimize dependence on affiliates. Any league would. The dilemma is that our schools have long-standing rivalries & good relationships with many of the affiliates, so we're in no hurry to see them leave. At some point though, if the CAA continues to increase the number of core members with football (either through expansion or I-AAAs like Mason or Georgia St. adding FB), the size of the FB league will become unwieldy. IMO, the best thing the CAA could do would be to encourage expansion of the NEC & Patriot League, an emerging AEC FB conference, or whatever conglormation arises to satisfy the best interests of most of its current FB affiliates.

In any case, all of this may be a long way off (2011 at the very soonest) and will certainly hinge upon expansion of the FCS playoffs. Right now at least, there doesn't seem to be widespread support for post-season expansion. That could change.

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 08:58 AM
Are you talking a break-up of the CAA along football/hoops lines? If you are, you currently have 7 football members......is that really enough for an all-sports conference?

No...and that is the point 89Hen is missing.

If that breakup occurs, guarantee you Dr. McElroy will be receiving a phone call from the CAA football schools.

Right now we have a prominent NU professor and the AD of Athletics at William and Mary on our University Review/Athletic Review board.

They have first hand knowledge of what is happening up in the Capital District.
I'm not missing anything because I'm not talking about a split on football/hoops lines. I'm talking about a split of associate football members from all sports members.

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 09:04 AM
The Eastern Conference,
The Small East
C'mon man, get out of SC once in a while. xthumbsupx The CAA footprint goes from Atlanta to Maine (including football associates). The ACC footprint goes from Miami to Boston.

OL FU
March 21st, 2007, 09:06 AM
C'mon man, get out of SC once in a while. xthumbsupx The CAA footprint goes from Atlanta to Maine (including football associates). The ACC footprint goes from Miami to Boston.

Cool, how many of you guys travel to Maine for a football gamexconfusedx

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 09:07 AM
2010 The Big South will have a bid. I don't know if it'll be in a 24 or 16 team playoff, but they'll have a bid.
Not if it's still 16.

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 09:09 AM
Probably the same number of CCU or CSU fans travelling to Liberty. xthumbsupx

Dane96
March 21st, 2007, 09:17 AM
I disagree with your notion, Dane96. But I understand your mindset. It does have some validity. But the way the system is currently set up they have to make decisions based on current facts. And if the Big South is rated higher than another (or more likely several) league then they'll have to give the Big South its auto bid.

I don't see how other sports play into the argument since the Big South competes in nearly every sport and has for two decades.

How does scheduling play a part: Well, for arguments sake, let's say Coastal plays E. Illinois in a continual basketball series, or let's say they do not but Coastal needs a game. The school from the conference that booted them, Coastal, isnt getting that game.

Furthermore, let's say Youngstown needs a game from E. Illinois, a more likely scenerio based on locale. You think E. Illinois is going to help the schools that got them booted from the playoff autobid?

No sir....scheduling is extremely important and barring a major change in playoff structure, the AD's and Presidents have this at the top of a nice laundry list as a reason why NOT TO PULL AN AUTOBID FROM AN EXISTING LEAGUE.

Dane96
March 21st, 2007, 09:23 AM
I don't disagree with you, but there could be a huge backlash. If the Big South can stay in the power rankings about where they were this year, I feel that the NCAA will have a hard time justifying keeping an eligible autobid league out that has better power rankings than 3 or 4 other autobid leagues.

It is the NCAA's rule that they determine who gets the bids on a yearly basis, so they should follow their own mandate. But I also feel that the NCAA won't be put in that situation as there will be expansion to a 24 team payoff by then.

Bingo...I agree with you Rok. It is also the mindset, I am sure of Albany in their decision NOT TO JOIN.

There will be a HUGE BACKLASH if the higher rated Big South is on the outside looking in regarding autobids.

There will be a HUGE BACKLASH if the three leagues mentioned, THE PL, THE OVC, THE MEAC, have a bid taken from them.

So, as much as some do not want to face the facts and as much as SOME AD's and President's are against it, the EASIEST AND MOST COST EFFECTIVE (considering lawsuits and the like) is to EXPAND THE PLAYOFFS.

Politically, this is the only reasonable solution. It is also what makes us different than the FBS, in that we come to reasonable solutions at this level.

Moreover, for bloated leagues like the CAA and Gateway (in terms of talent), you take away their complaints that good teams are not getting a bid from those conferences.

IMHO, you will see an expansion because of all the above...and everyone will be happy in the LONG RUN.

OL FU
March 21st, 2007, 09:27 AM
Probably the same number of CCU or CSU fans travelling to Liberty. xthumbsupx

Maine
New Hampshire
Umass
Rhode Island
Hofstra

Big difference than Liberty and VMI

Personally I 'll take the smaller footprint so I actually have a shot at seeing the games

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 09:27 AM
BTW, I want to be on record for saying I have NO ill feelings toward Maine, URI, UMass, Villanova or Richmond (well maybe a little for Nova and UMass ;) ), but I would love to have an all-sports conference where every team from the school plays under the same flag. I know there are some other CAA sports that rely on associate members, but football may not need to in the near future and we can start eliminating associates one sport at a time.

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 09:32 AM
Personally I 'll take the smaller footprint so I actually have a shot at seeing the games
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love that I'm within two hours of 8-9 Hen games per year. Even though I have one of the longer drives to Newark for season ticket holders, I am dead smack in the middle of the CAA South...

Villanova - 2:30
Delaware - 1:40
Towson - 1:00
Richmond - 2:00
JMU - 2:00
W&M - 2:30

I'm just saying it sounds like some of the Big South fans think their conference is now geographically bigger than anyone on the east coast. It's just not true.

OL FU
March 21st, 2007, 09:33 AM
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love that I'm within two hours of 8-9 Hen games per year. Even though I have one of the longer drives to Newark for season ticket holders, I am dead smack in the middle of the CAA South...

Villanova - 2:30
Delaware - 1:40
Towson - 1:00
Richmond - 2:00
JMU - 2:00
W&M - 2:30

I'm just saying it sounds like some of the Big South fans think their conference is now geographically bigger than anyone on the east coast. It's just not true.

Aaahhhh. :o Got itxnodx I just thought you were erroneously bragging about the A-10 againxsmiley_wix

Col Hogan
March 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM
BTW, I want to be on record for saying I have NO ill feelings toward Maine, URI, UMass, Villanova or Richmond (well maybe a little for Nova and UMass ;) ), but I would love to have an all-sports conference where every team from the school plays under the same flag. I know there are some other CAA sports that rely on associate members, but football may not need to in the near future and we can start eliminating associates one sport at a time.

Got to agree with you 100% about having an all-sport conference for UMass. But is it possible, especially with the diversity of sports that each school sponsors.

Now, about those ill feelings towards UMass.....:p:D:p

ChickenMan
March 21st, 2007, 09:44 AM

I've driven up to Maine on many occasions.. but always taking a few extra days to see some other things in New England. As for the others.. I've been to all those as well and only UNH is a really a long hike.. about 7 hrs... but once again we always take a couple of extra days and combine a UNH game with other activities. I really like the New England games and would be very disappointed if those schools dropped out of the CAA.

OL FU
March 21st, 2007, 10:08 AM
I've driven up to Maine on many occasions.. but always taking a few extra days to see some other things in New England. As for the others.. I've been to all those as well and only UNH is a really a long hike.. about 7 hrs... but once again we always take a couple of extra days and combine a UNH game with other activities. I really like the New England games and would be very disappointed if those schools dropped out of the CAA.

Was I talking to you:p :D

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 10:10 AM
But is it possible, especially with the diversity of sports that each school sponsors.
Certainly not easy, but like I said, do it one sport at a time. No offense to women's crew, but there is a definite heirarchy to college athletics and I wouldn't really get too bent out of shape if a couple of the smaller ones didn't work out to be in the same conference or still had associate members.

CAA Associates:

Football: Maine, UNH, UMass, URI, Villanova and Richmond (+6 all-sports)
Lacrosse (Men's): Robert Morris, Sacred Heart and Villanova (+5 all-sports)
Swimming: Davidson and College of Charleston (+8 all-sports)
Wrestling: Rider, Sacred Heart, Boston U, Binghamton, Campbell, Wagner (+5 all-sports)

Football obviously hinges on ODU and possibly GSU/GMU joining. With 7 it would be smallish, but with 8 or 9, no problem.

Lacrosse is a funny one. The ACC only has 4, but then again all 4 are in the top 20 pretty much every year. It's really only the 5 all-sport members that contend for the title anyway.

Swimming: Don't know much about it, but isn't 8 enough?

Wrestling: This is basically the Hofstra invatational. They have won the CAA wrestling title every year they've been in the CAA. This would be one of the sports that I don't care if it stays or keeps associate members.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 21st, 2007, 10:11 AM
At some point though, if the CAA continues to increase the number of core members with football (either through expansion or I-AAAs like Mason or Georgia St. adding FB), the size of the FB league will become unwieldy. IMO, the best thing the CAA could do would be to encourage expansion of the NEC & Patriot League, an emerging AEC FB conference, or whatever conglormation arises to satisfy the best interests of most of its current FB affiliates.

Could this mean actually *pushing* affiliates Richmond and Villanova to the Patriot League in order to expand their all sports members? xeyebrowx Because those are the two best matches, competition-wise, with the Patriot League at present. We PL fans are now coming down from a huge debate about whether *Marist or VMI* were "Patriot League Enough" to be considered for expansion. The best schools, competition-wise, for us come from the CAA. xtwocentsx

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 10:13 AM
Could this mean actually *pushing* affiliates Richmond and Villanova to the Patriot League in order to expand their all sports members?
Everyone I know say 'no' to asking teams to leave. I wouldn't be opposed to it.

mainejeff
March 21st, 2007, 10:17 AM
I'm not missing anything because I'm not talking about a split on football/hoops lines. I'm talking about a split of associate football members from all sports members.

So you feel that 7 football members is enough?

mainejeff
March 21st, 2007, 10:18 AM

The Delaware games that I've seen played in Orono have had anywhere from 200-500 Delaware fans......depending on what type of season the Blue Hens are having.

mainejeff
March 21st, 2007, 10:21 AM
Maine
New Hampshire
Umass
Rhode Island
Hofstra

Big difference than Liberty and VMI

Think about the Big Sky......the distance between just 2 opponents probably covers the entire Southern Conference footprint.

mainejeff
March 21st, 2007, 10:23 AM

I doubt that we would "drop out".......it would be "kicked out".

Col Hogan
March 21st, 2007, 10:23 AM
Certainly not easy, but like I said, do it one sport at a time. No offense to women's crew, but there is a definite heirarchy to college athletics and I wouldn't really get too bent out of shape if a couple of the smaller ones didn't work out to be in the same conference or still had associate members.

CAA Associates:

Football: Maine, UNH, UMass, URI, Villanova and Richmond (+6 all-sports)
Lacrosse (Men's): Robert Morris, Sacred Heart and Villanova (+5 all-sports)
Swimming: Davidson and College of Charleston (+8 all-sports)
Wrestling: Rider, Sacred Heart, Boston U, Binghamton, Campbell, Wagner (+5 all-sports)

Football obviously hinges on ODU and possibly GSU/GMU joining. With 7 it would be smallish, but with 8 or 9, no problem.

Lacrosse is a funny one. The ACC only has 4, but then again all 4 are in the top 20 pretty much every year. It's really only the 5 all-sport members that contend for the title anyway.

Swimming: Don't know much about it, but isn't 8 enough?

Wrestling: This is basically the Hofstra invatational. They have won the CAA wrestling title every year they've been in the CAA. This would be one of the sports that I don't care if it stays or keeps associate members.

For UMass, UNH, Maine, Northeastern (and if I've forgotten someone I'm sorry) you would need Hockey as all have top-flight programs.

Yea, difficult...but I hope it's a goal for UMass, UD, and the other football powers in the CAA. I'd hate to see the current line-up broken up much...even if it means not playing each school in football every year.

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 10:24 AM
So you feel that 7 football members is enough?
I'd prefer 8, but the Southland and PL have had no problems receiving an auto with 7. xeyebrowx

The playoffs are a big consideration if there's going to be a split. If you split the CAA into two and suddenly have the Big South eligible (and possibly the Great West one day)... there's going to have to be an expansion of the playoffs to accomodate all the conferences applying for autos. I've been opposed to expansion up until now, mainly because there have only been 9 conferences that have ever applied in any given year for the 8 autos. If you suddenly have 10-11 applying, that's too many to turn away (boy are the NEC folks going to hate that comment).

henfan
March 21st, 2007, 10:26 AM
Could this mean actually *pushing* affiliates Richmond and Villanova to the Patriot League in order to expand their all sports members?

No, not at all. As 89' suggested, I'm not even sure there's a mechanism in place to force out an affiliate without them doing something egregious, at least for the time being. As a fan, I'd hate like heck to lose any of our FB affiliates.

Right now, its seems that the CAA his happy having UR and VU and they're happy being in the CAA. However, if the PL adopts a measure allowing athletic aid for FB and the competitive misconceptions about the PL suddenly change in Richmond and the Main Line, the PL could become a more viable option for those schools. A lot of ifs and could in there though.xpeacex

If realignment is ever to occur among CAA affiliates (and I'm not suggesting it will any time soon), it will likely involve an amicable, collaborative effort between 2 or 3 different leagues. No schools are going to get forceably removed. There's just too much history between these schools for that to ever happen. If change happens, it may evolve slowly, rather than with a big bang.

CCU97
March 21st, 2007, 10:26 AM
hmm...if only 200-500....I know that CCU took more to the GSU game last year.....as for the Liberty games...I haven't been to Lynchburg since I was a student at CCU....not sure how many fans show up for those games....not to mention...other than with Sly and SJ...it really isn't much of a build up for games with Liberty...don't really think they consider us or we consider them a rival game even though it is a conference game...

As for VMI....the PL can have em....sure they raise lots of funds for their teams....but in all sports except this year in basketball they have actually brought the BS conf down in RPI since they joined....I respect the school and love the area...but they don't do much for the conference other than name recognition...

OL FU
March 21st, 2007, 10:28 AM
hmm...if only 200-500....I know that CCU took more to the GSU game last year.....as for the Liberty games...I haven't been to Lynchburg since I was a student at CCU....not sure how many fans show up for those games....not to mention...other than with Sly and SJ...it really isn't much of a build up for games with Liberty...don't really think they consider us or we consider them a rival game even though it is a conference game...

As for VMI....the PL can have em....sure they raise lots of funds for their teams....but in all sports except this year in basketball they have actually brought the BS conf down in RPI since they joined....I respect the school and love the area...but they don't do much for the conference other than name recognition...

I think we all got off track which was my fault:o

I was talking about long drives.

Conway to Statesboro doesn't qualify:D

OL FU
March 21st, 2007, 10:30 AM
Think about the Big Sky......the distance between just 2 opponents probably covers the entire Southern Conference footprint.

That would suck but you do what you gotta doxnodx

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 10:31 AM
As a fan, I'd hate like heck to lose any of our FB affiliates.
But it's going to happen whether you like it or not. Once ODU comes on board, we know they'll be in the South with us, which means one less game against one of the North teams. We would only see a UMass/Maine/UNH... once or twice every six years. Shoot, we could probably schedule them (the ones we want) more often if they weren't in our conference. xeyebrowx

ChickenMan
March 21st, 2007, 10:37 AM
But it's going to happen whether you like it or not. Once ODU comes on board, we know they'll be in the South with us,

maybe a CAA realignment would put UD and/or Nova in the North?

yorkcountyUNHfan
March 21st, 2007, 11:06 AM

I do!:D

CCU97
March 21st, 2007, 11:17 AM
I think we all got off track which was my fault:o

I was talking about long drives.

Conway to Statesboro doesn't qualify:D

Hmm...Conway to Statesboro is 5-5.5 hrs....most people consider that a pretty good drive....Liberty is just as close....and VMI is only a 8hr drive....

Libertine
March 21st, 2007, 11:18 AM

Yeah, I don't know that there's that much of a Coastal-Liberty rivalry other than we're the two largest programs in the conference. I think our biggest rival at this point is VMI b/c of geography and recent history but I don't know if VMI fans necessarily feel the same.

OL FU
March 21st, 2007, 11:19 AM
Hmm...Conway to Statesboro is 5-5.5 hrs....most people consider that a pretty good drive....Liberty is just as close....and VMI is only a 6hr drive....

It isn't driving for two days to Mainexeekx

aceinthehole
March 21st, 2007, 11:42 AM
I'd prefer 8, but the Southland and PL have had no problems receiving an auto with 7. xeyebrowx

The playoffs are a big consideration if there's going to be a split. If you split the CAA into two and suddenly have the Big South eligible (and possibly the Great West one day)... there's going to have to be an expansion of the playoffs to accomodate all the conferences applying for autos. I've been opposed to expansion up until now, mainly because there have only been 9 conferences that have ever applied in any given year for the 8 autos. If you suddenly have 10-11 applying, that's too many to turn away (boy are the NEC folks going to hate that comment).

nah, but at least some of us NEC folks don't sound as crazy when we suggested expansion. It took a while, but some of you are coming around ... slowly :p

Go back and pull up some of my earliest post on this site and you'll see I've never wanted to take away anyone's AQ, which is what the Big South is suggesting they are going to do. Politically (and realisticlly) I think most here agree that won't happen in 2010. The Great West is hurting with members, but the CAA could be busting at the seams. Then we have the Ivy, SWAC, etc.

I think the real debate should be do you want a 20- or 24-team playoff. I think 32 teams would be too diluted.

bodoyle
March 21st, 2007, 12:12 PM
Hmm...Conway to Statesboro is 5-5.5 hrs....most people consider that a pretty good drive....Liberty is just as close....and VMI is only a 6hr drive....

It is only a 14 hour drive for me to get from home to CCU for a home game, and 10 hours for me get to app for that playoff game.

MarkCCU
March 21st, 2007, 01:21 PM
Hmm...

Big South brings in a yankee team. So we're now the Big South plus a Carpetbagger.

I prefer the geography to make sense in the names of conferences and it's members. Maybe we will become the Black Sheep Conference(Gadfly's words not mine)

Appstate29
March 21st, 2007, 01:23 PM
Hmm...

Big South brings in a yankee team. So we're now the Big South plus a Carpetbagger.

I prefer the geography to make sense in the names of conferences and it's members. Maybe we will become the Black Sheep Conference(Gadfly's words not mine)

Stonybrook Vs. CCU in the Carpetbagger Classic!

henfan
March 21st, 2007, 01:49 PM

What it is it, 1866? Schnikees, Granny Clampett. If you're so inclined, consider this payback for the Yankee Conference accepting Richmond back in '86 (1986, that is.) xlolx

Look, beggars can't afford to be too choosey, either the Big South or Stony. Given the choice of the Big South or a "Yankee" dominated CAA, is there any question where the Beach Chickens would prefer to be?

Appstate29
March 21st, 2007, 01:55 PM
What it is it, 1866? Schnikees, Granny Clampett. If you're so inclined, consider this payback for the Yankee Conference accepting Richmond back in '86 (1986, that is.) xlolx

Look, beggars can't afford to be too choosey, either the Big South or Stony. Given the choice of the Big South or a "Yankee" dominated CAA, is there any question where the Beach Chickens would prefer to be?

apples and oranges my friend. Big South+Stony Brook= Big South+Yankee Carpet Bagger. Yankee CAA+ CCU= one ray of light in a conference full of darkness.

Go...gate
March 21st, 2007, 01:57 PM
So does this mean the Patriot League is now looking at one or more of Marist, Richmond, Villanova or VMI as potential members within the next five years? Very interesting. xeyebrowx

Col Hogan
March 21st, 2007, 02:22 PM
apples and oranges my friend. Big South+Stony Brook= Big South+Yankee Carpet Bagger. Yankee CAA+ CCU= one ray of light in a conference full of darkness.

xnonono2x xnonono2x

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

CCU97
March 21st, 2007, 02:28 PM
It isn't driving for two days to Mainexeekx

Don't make it what it isn't.....Newark, Delaware to Orono, Maine is 9hrs....not a two day drive by any means.....not unless you are 80 and have a small bladder to top it off....

yes it is slightly further than a trip from Conway to Lexington...but only by 57 min....

from LI, NY to Conway....11hrs 5 min....not too many drives like that in FCS.....thankfully there are Flights to NYC all the time out of Myrtle....

Yahoo maps can do wonders for figuring these things out on your own....I would have expected more from a Furman Grad...xsmiley_wix

danefan
March 21st, 2007, 02:36 PM
from LI, NY to Conway....11hrs 5 min....

Thats making a bold assumption that you won't hit traffic on the LIE (Long Island Expressway), which you can't pull off at 3am in the middle of a blizzard.

CCU97
March 21st, 2007, 02:50 PM
agreed....not to mention driving through Richmond, DC, and Philly.....

OL FU
March 21st, 2007, 02:51 PM
Don't make it what it isn't.....Newark, Delaware to Orono, Maine is 9hrs....not a two day drive by any means.....not unless you are 80 and have a small bladder to top it off....

yes it is slightly further than a trip from Conway to Lexington...but only by 57 min....

from LI, NY to Conway....11hrs 5 min....not too many drives like that in FCS.....thankfully there are Flights to NYC all the time out of Myrtle....

Yahoo maps can do wonders for figuring these things out on your own....I would have expected more from a Furman Grad...xsmiley_wix

My Microsoft Mappoint says about 600 miles and driving through NYC Conn. then Boston, if you do that in 9 hours I am not riding with you.

And even if it is 9 hours that is alot different that 5 hours for a football game

CCU97
March 21st, 2007, 03:00 PM
yes and Conway to LI has NYC, DC, and Richmond...but even without SB...Lexington has the mountains...you've been to Boone and been stuck behind a truck right? 45 mph max....it is just using a way to compare apples to apples....

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM

You mean in EASTERN FCS...

OL FU
March 21st, 2007, 03:14 PM
yes and Conway to LI has NYC, DC, and Richmond...but even without SB...Lexington has the mountains...you've been to Boone and been stuck behind a truck right? 45 mph max....it is just using a way to compare apples to apples....

There is not a mountain anywhere close to Conway or Statesboroxrolleyesx

I think I have forgot what started this conversationxrotatehx

CSU BUCS
March 21st, 2007, 03:16 PM
You mean in EASTERN FCS...

There's a Western FCS??? Hold on................ are you telling me that there's football in the west?

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 03:20 PM
There's a Western FCS??? Hold on................ are you telling me that there's football in the west?

Yes espn, there is xsmiley_wix

danefan
March 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM

Yes there is, and we all know that they walk, barefoot, uphill both ways, in two feet of snow to get to every road game they have.xsmiley_wix

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 03:45 PM

You're forgetting one thing. Newark, DE is a couple hours closer to Orono than Williamsburg, Richmond and Harrisonburg, VA.

Williamsburg - about 13 hours 53 mins
Richmond - about 13 hours 9 mins
Harrisonburg - about 13 hours 6 mins

Again, you're conference's footprint is still smaller than several other east coast conferences.

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 03:52 PM
Yes there is, and we all know that they walk, barefoot, uphill both ways, in two feet of snow to get to every road game they have.xsmiley_wix

Not all uphill - we have to go down and cross the Grand Canyon to get to any of our conference mates.:D

CCU97
March 21st, 2007, 03:54 PM
There is not a mountain anywhere close to Conway or Statesboroxrolleyesx

I think I have forgot what started this conversationxrotatehx

Read what was typed....was talking about the trip to Lexington at that point....If they don't have mountains...not sure that anyone outside of the Rockies does...

CCU97
March 21st, 2007, 03:56 PM
You're forgetting one thing. Newark, DE is a couple hours closer to Orono than Williamsburg, Richmond and Harrisonburg, VA.

Williamsburg - about 13 hours 53 mins
Richmond - about 13 hours 9 mins
Harrisonburg - about 13 hours 6 mins

Again, you're conference's footprint is still smaller than several other east coast conferences.

And I would agree with you that the Big South's footprints are smaller...so are the schools, the budgets, and the desire to be spreadout across the whole East coast....Man I love playing devil's advocate...lol

OL FU
March 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Read what was typed....was talking about the trip to Lexington at that point....If they don't have mountains...not sure that anyone outside of the Rockies does...

Well I'm pretty tired of this:p xsmiley_wix

Sir William
March 21st, 2007, 03:58 PM
Well I'm pretty tired of this:p xsmiley_wix

Ditto. xboringx

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 04:13 PM
and the desire to be spreadout across the whole East coast....
Evidently not. You did hear that Stony Brook was invited to join, didn't you? :p :D

Go...gate
March 21st, 2007, 04:52 PM

After they milk the cows and chop the wood. xsmiley_wix

gr8ness97
March 21st, 2007, 05:02 PM
and herd in the cattle...

CCU97
March 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
you forgot gather the corn and thrash the wheat too....

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evidently not. You did hear that Stony Brook was invited to join, didn't you? :p :D
which does not make sense for this southeastern based conference

MarkCCU
March 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM

iT'S CALLED humor

Fresno St. Alum
March 21st, 2007, 06:35 PM
The Partiot is really looking at expansion? If it's Marist or VMI, I figure its all sports. Nova and Richmond would of course be FB only.

The Gadfly
March 21st, 2007, 06:45 PM
WOW . . . a possibility that VMI will WIN a championship somewhere. I'M excited. xcoffeex

MarkCCU
March 21st, 2007, 06:46 PM
WOW . . . a possibility that VMI will WIN a championship somewhere. I'M excited. xcoffeex

hmmmmmmm fat chance.....

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 07:46 PM
which does not make sense for this southeastern based conference
Remind me again who invited them.

Go...gate
March 21st, 2007, 07:46 PM
The Partiot is really looking at expansion? If it's Marist or VMI, I figure its all sports. Nova and Richmond would of course be FB only.

I think we are seeking to expand on an all-sports basis only, but we would be out of our minds not to try to bring in Richmond and/or Villanova as an Associate Member in Football. Villanova is already an Associate PL member in Women's Lacrosse, so there is already a relationship.

I think we would be happy to have VMI for all sports.

Fresno St. Alum
March 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM
how soon might this expansion happen?

Go...gate
March 21st, 2007, 10:53 PM
God only knows.

vmifan
March 25th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I think we are seeking to expand on an all-sports basis only, but we would be out of our minds not to try to bring in Richmond and/or Villanova as an Associate Member in Football. Villanova is already an Associate PL member in Women's Lacrosse, so there is already a relationship.

I think we would be happy to have VMI for all sports.

Obviously, VMI has only the highest regard for the members of the Patriot League. Geographically, it would be very tough. But having an opportunity to play Army and Navy in all sports but football (and yes, VMI would likely play one of both each year if it was in the League) and associating with high academic schools which have high standards for its student-athletes would be very attractive. But, geographically, it may never work.

BearsCountry
March 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Geographically SBU to the Big South doesnt really work, but I think its a win/win for both (travel aside). Big South gets its 6th member until Presy gets ready, and they get an extra game not to schedule. SBU gets to fill a schedule, something as an indy would have a hard time doing plus they get to build up their full scholly fb program in a league until the time comes to get in a better league geographically.

I still think if the Big South could get Hampton or SCSU would be nice or now with the additon of SBU they could take a flyer on D2 schools again, like West Georgia or Valdosta State.

Fresno St. Alum
March 25th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I hear there are problems with the eastern teams in the D-II GSC. They don't like having to go to Arkansas so often. The W.Georgia people on the D-II board say that they are still at least 7 years away from a move up. But eventually one if not both of those could join the Big South. What about Jacksonville gettting schollys and becoming a full member?

kicker
March 25th, 2007, 05:48 PM
i have always wondered why valdosta hasn't moved up. i have also heard that unc-p may move up after a few years.

The Gadfly
March 26th, 2007, 09:34 AM
i have always wondered why valdosta hasn't moved up. i have also heard that unc-p may move up after a few years.

Their facilities are horrid, including the football stadium. Plus, their students put VSU second on their "support list" behind UGA or FSU. I would love to have them if they improve their facilities. I can see Wingate University being interested in jumping soon. They have improved their facilities and many alumni I talk to (many played FB there) have no doubt that the jump is coming soon and aimed at the Big South.