PDA

View Full Version : JMU @ N.C. State

Derby City Duke
August 29th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Kickoff Saturday @ high noon on ESPNU.

Lots of people in purple believe this will be a close game and that JMU has a legit shot to win. While I believe they do have somewhat of a chance, I think the game ends up much like the 2016 JMU-UNC game (56-28 Tarheels, though JMU was competitive for the 1st half).

VandalBasher
August 29th, 2018, 08:05 AM
I think the Dukes give the Pack a scare with a halftime lead.

Best of luck.

Anthony215
August 29th, 2018, 08:21 AM
I actually don't believe this will be a close game at all. NC State finished 9-4 last season and should be a 8-9 win ball club again in the ACC so they should have little problem with the Dukes.

JacksFan40
August 29th, 2018, 08:27 AM
I actually don't believe this will be a close game at all. NC State finished 9-4 last season and should be a 8-9 win ball club again in the ACC so they should have little problem with the Dukes.
That’s what people though about K-State vs NDSU. It’ll be a close game most of the way I bet. I’ll take NC State 38-24. Pack pulls away late.

UNHWildcat18
August 29th, 2018, 08:29 AM
JMU is going to have to slow this game down to keep it close. They are replacing 7 starters on defense and their starting safety just left the team.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 29th, 2018, 08:37 AM
I think JMU can hang around for a bit given their confidence, coaching an overall talent level. But when it's all said and done NC State should ultimately win by 14-21 points. The Dukes are obviously at the very very top of FCS but NC State is a legit Top 20/25 FBS team that has sent a bunch of pros to the NFL lately. They should be a step above the Kansas State and Iowa (fringe Top 25) teams NDSU beat in recent years. Something along the lines of 34-17 NC State....

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2018, 09:01 AM
I know I'll get accused of sand bagging by approximately seven NDSU posters, but lets not forget that NCSU's QB Finley is projected by some to be this 2019 class' top QB prospect in the draft. If JMU loses by 14 points or less and can score at least 20 on them, even if some in trash time, I'd consider that meeting expectations.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Sounds like Houston is still being mum on naming the starting QB. Maybe that's just coach speak to try to throw off the opponent but if that means he's still waffling and/or considering playing more than 1 guy at QB I think that's a bad sign for JMU. If you have 2 starting QBs you have 0 starting QBs.

If the rankings are accurate and NC State is a fringe top 25 team I think JMU has a puncher's chance. It seems a lot of pundits seem to think NC State will show that they're better than a fringe top 25 team though so we'll see.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2018, 09:04 AM
I think JMU can hang around for a bit given their confidence, coaching an overall talent level. But when it's all said and done NC State should ultimately win by 14-21 points. The Dukes are obviously at the very very top of FCS but NC State is a legit Top 20/25 FBS team that has sent a bunch of pros to the NFL lately. They should be a step above the Kansas State and Iowa (fringe Top 25) teams NDSU beat in recent years. Something along the lines of 34-17 NC State.... Iowa was coming off and 8-0 season in their side of the Big Ten and a 12-2 year, KSU was the defending Big 12 Champion. Both these teams were ranked high when the actual game occurred and who knows where NC State ends up this year. I will acknowledge that both teams were down a little bit in the years the Bison beat them but we really don't know where NC State will finish this year either.

That being said, I hope JMU keeps it close, the JMU team of last year would have had a better shot at this these guys but I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent game here.

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Sounds like Houston is still being mum on naming the starting QB. Maybe that's just coach speak to try to throw off the opponent but if that means he's still waffling and/or considering playing more than 1 guy at QB I think that's a bad sign for JMU. If you have 2 starting QBs you have 0 starting QBs.

If the rankings are accurate and NC State is a fringe top 25 team I think JMU has a puncher's chance. It seems a lot of pundits seem to think NC State will show that they're better than a fringe top 25 team though so we'll see.

It's coach speak. He doesn't see the point in showing his hand and making NCSU's game planning easier. It's entirely possible both QBs could see the field against NCSU depending on the situation and how the game is developing, but he's not going to flip back and forth between two QBs all season. He's smarter than that.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Iowa was coming off and 8-0 season in their side of the Big Ten and a 12-2 year, KSU was the defending Big 12 Champion. Both these teams were ranked high when the actual game occurred and who knows where NC State ends up this year. I will acknowledge that both teams were down a little bit in the years the Bison beat them but we really don't know where NC State will finish this year either.

That being said, I hope JMU keeps it close, the JMU team of last year would have had a better shot at this these guys but I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent game here.
K-State's preseason ranking in 2013 was about the same as NC State's preseason ranking this year... one of the top teams in the ORV. Iowa though in 2016 was ranked 13th in the AP poll and 11th in the Coach's poll when the game was played (in fact they were still ranked 25th in the Coach's poll the week after the game). They did climb back into the top 25 in both polls by the end of the regular season.

IBleedYellow
August 29th, 2018, 09:16 AM
We'll see how well JMU can reload and this game will be a good test for that.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2018, 09:23 AM
If JMU does win I think they likely take back the #1 ranking in the polls. I'm sure there would be very little argument on this board if that does happen also. ;)

Derby City Duke
August 29th, 2018, 09:24 AM
JMU is going to have to slow this game down to keep it close. They are replacing 7 starters on defense and their starting safety just left the team.

???? Who left?

POD Knows
August 29th, 2018, 09:27 AM
If JMU does win I think they likely take back the #1 ranking in the polls. I'm sure there would be very little argument on this board if that does happen also. ;)They wouldn't get my vote unless NDSU lays an egg against Cal Poly

UNHWildcat18
August 29th, 2018, 09:30 AM
???? Who left?

ah was scrolling a little fast and read LS as FS, so its the long snapper that left.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2018, 09:31 AM
They wouldn't get my vote unless NDSU lays an egg against Cal Poly
It would be a good split I'm sure. You'd have the "what has each team done this year" crowd on one side and the "champs until someone beats them" crowd on the other. Like I said, each side will probably state their case, then agree to disagree, and we'd move on quickly. xwhistlex

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 29th, 2018, 09:31 AM
K-State's preseason ranking in 2013 was about the same as NC State's preseason ranking this year... one of the top teams in the ORV. Iowa though in 2016 was ranked 13th in the AP poll and 11th in the Coach's poll when the game was played (in fact they were still ranked 25th in the Coach's poll the week after the game). They did climb back into the top 25 in both polls by the end of the regular season.

I think NC State will prove to be better than '16 Iowa and '13 Kansas State. Kansas State lost Klein which was huge (he did everything one offense). As a result they were never going to come close to their '12 team that was #1 or #2 in until a November loss to Baylor. Iowa was in the same boat in '16. They were in a bit of a rebuilding mode. Still good with plenty of talent but not a Top 25 FBS team.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2018, 09:33 AM
I think NC State will prove to be better than '16 Iowa and '13 Kansas State. Kansas State lost Klein which was huge (he did everything one offense). As a result they were never going to come close to their '12 team that was #1 or #2 in until a November loss to Baylor. Iowa was in the same boat in '16. They were in a bit of a rebuilding mode. Still good with plenty of talent but not a top-shelf FBS team.
You could be right. Iowa definitely wasn't as good in '16 as their ranking indicated at that time. K-State in '13 actually finished about where they started but they seemed to improve as the year went on so NDSU caught them at the right time (although I'd take NDSU against them at any point during that year). NC State does seem to be a trendy pick as a currently unranked team that will surprise this year.

WeAreThePride
August 29th, 2018, 09:45 AM
JMU is gonna get slapped around.

Derby City Duke
August 29th, 2018, 09:59 AM
ah was scrolling a little fast and read LS as FS, so its the long snapper that left.

Yeah, and he was a pre-season A/A pick. Personal reasons is the word.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2018, 10:07 AM
It would be a good split I'm sure. You'd have the "what has each team done this year" crowd on one side and the "champs until someone beats them" crowd on the other. Like I said, each side will probably state their case, then agree to disagree, and we'd move on quickly. xwhistlexYep, and I absolutely wouldn't take anybody on for putting JMU #1, the reasons for the vote would be sound.

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Mel Kiper has Finley as his #3 QB prospect in the nation right now.

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2018, 10:22 AM
If JMU does win I think they likely take back the #1 ranking in the polls. I'm sure there would be very little argument on this board if that does happen also. ;)

NDSU is #1 until they're not. If you keep winning, we're still #2, even with an NC State win.

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2018, 10:26 AM

Thank God we can rely on your always deep commentary.

centennial
August 29th, 2018, 10:41 AM
I think NC State will prove to be better than '16 Iowa and '13 Kansas State. Kansas State lost Klein which was huge (he did everything one offense). As a result they were never going to come close to their '12 team that was #1 or #2 in until a November loss to Baylor. Iowa was in the same boat in '16. They were in a bit of a rebuilding mode. Still good with plenty of talent but not a Top 25 FBS team.

K State only lost to ranked teams that year except NDSU. Iowa was a solid top 20 team too, which played up and down. If they had beat NDSU both would have ended the year top 15. NC State is maybe a little better at the end of this year. However they are ranked 31st in the AP poll.

Bisonator
August 29th, 2018, 10:47 AM
I think NCS wins but I'll be rooting for the Dukes.

gregatim
August 29th, 2018, 11:14 AM
JMU wins this. They will physically beat the snot out of them, although the score will be close. JMU by 4. And with that, the rumors on Houston getting poached get more frequent and louder.

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2018, 11:15 AM
JMU wins this. They will physically beat the snot out of them, although the score will be close. JMU by 4. And with that, the rumors on Houston getting poached get more frequent and louder.

Yeah we have to hope NCSU has a great season and Doeren stays put there. If Houston beats NCSU, they'll only be paying more attention to him and that's an offer he probably can't turn down.

cx500d
August 29th, 2018, 03:38 PM

Lots of people in purple believe this will be a close game and that JMU has a legit shot to win. While I believe they do have somewhat of a chance, I think the game ends up much like the 2016 JMU-UNC game (56-28 Tarheels, though JMU was competitive for the 1st half).
You definitely can win this one....I hope you do.

caribbeanhen
August 29th, 2018, 04:35 PM
It's coach speak. He doesn't see the point in showing his hand and making NCSU's game planning easier. It's entirely possible both QBs could see the field against NCSU depending on the situation and how the game is developing, but he's not going to flip back and forth between two QBs all season. He's smarter than that.

who are these 2 QB's?

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 29th, 2018, 05:24 PM

This here.

NC State is going to be pretty good this year.

Redbird 4th & short
August 29th, 2018, 06:08 PM
JMU has come a long way and deserve props as top 2 program ... but they lost a lot this year. This makes me think they will struggle to stay with team like NC State.

But regardless of this one game, if JMU reloads effectively by end of year and makes another playoff run, this will say a lot for the program. For now, I think the jury is out somewhat ... not doubting they will reload, but do think they will need some games before they are back at elite level of prior 2 seasons.

p.s. Feel exact same way about SDSU, and they didn't lose nearly as much as JMU .. but did lose a few all american studs.

jmu007
August 29th, 2018, 06:54 PM
You're on the same page as me right now. I feel this game would've been a lot closer if they played in week 2 or 3. Week 1, with as many new players as JMU has seeing significant playing time will lead to a more lopsided score IMO.

Picking NC State.
Rooting JMU

RootinFerDukes
August 29th, 2018, 07:00 PM
who are these 2 QB's?

Cole Johnson or Ben DiNucci (Pitt transfer and started a few of their games).

KPSUL
August 29th, 2018, 07:16 PM

I think both teams will score less and the final will be closer than 2016 UNC. Your defense will hit the ground running, not so sure about the offense.

caribbeanhen
August 29th, 2018, 09:48 PM
Cole Johnson or Ben DiNucci (Pitt transfer and started a few of their games).

Right, forgot about the Pitt Transfer, thank you Dukes

gregatim
August 30th, 2018, 10:05 AM
I think both teams will score less and the final will be closer than 2016 UNC. Your defense will hit the ground running, not so sure about the offense.

JMU's pass defense would rank in the top 20 in all of college football. They are that good IMO. JMU is going to have a punishing ground game this year. They need to run the ball early and often and stick with it, NC State lost their entire defensive line from last year. That's where you attack them and keep their offense off the field, throwing enough Riley Stapleton in to keep them honest. This is a good matchup for a physical JMU team against a highly ranked team that I don't believe wants any part of the bare knuckle fist fight coming their way Saturday. Coach Houston will have this team ready! NC State might win this, but they gonna be bloody by the end of the game.

RootinFerDukes
September 1st, 2018, 06:22 AM
Tweet from Greg Madia:

“James Madison will start Ben DiNucci at quarterback and the Dukes plan to also use Cole Johnson today against N.C. State, coach Mike Houston said.”

Note back up Connor Mitch saw some playing time against UNC two years ago.

I’ve read that although Johnson has a cannon arm and pocket presence, DiNucci is more mobile and more accurate of a passer.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 1st, 2018, 06:39 AM
JMU's pass defense would rank in the top 20 in all of college football. They are that good IMO. JMU is going to have a punishing ground game this year. They need to run the ball early and often and stick with it, NC State lost their entire defensive line from last year. That's where you attack them and keep their offense off the field, throwing enough Riley Stapleton in to keep them honest. This is a good matchup for a physical JMU team against a highly ranked team that I don't believe wants any part of the bare knuckle fist fight coming their way Saturday. Coach Houston will have this team ready! NC State might win this, but they gonna be bloody by the end of the game.

NC State wins this by more than 2 TDs IMO.

caribbeanhen
September 1st, 2018, 07:10 AM
Let's go JMU.... Win one for the CAA and FCS

jmu007
September 1st, 2018, 07:40 AM
Gameday!!! Go Dukes! Killing me that I can't make the game, but I've got about 7 strong watching out in Denver this morning. Who gets married in the fall.... seriously!?!

jmu007
September 1st, 2018, 10:16 AM
Rashad Robinson out for the season with non-contact foot injury in preseason camp. 10 new starters today on defense between injuries and suspensions.

https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/jmu-cb-robinson-out-for-season

Today will be a good opportunity to see a lot of young players I guess...

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
September 1st, 2018, 10:44 AM
Rashad Robinson out for the season with non-contact foot injury in preseason camp. 10 new starters today on defense between injuries and suspensions.

https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/jmu-cb-robinson-out-for-season

Today will be a good opportunity to see a lot of young players I guess...

Not that I'm writing this year off (maybe just this game) but good lord, we are going to be stupid good next year, especially with Rashard coming back next year.

We lose a lot of depth at running back (but return a lot of depth as well) and that it is it in terms of offense.
We lose Darious Carter (DL) and Jimmy Moreland (CB) and that is it on defense....

cx500d
September 1st, 2018, 11:30 AM
Good td, way to go jmu! Get the win!

Daytripper
September 1st, 2018, 11:31 AM
JMU 7 NCST 0 1st

VandalBasher
September 1st, 2018, 11:43 AM
I go for a run and come back and this: JMU scores first then holds NC State to a field goal on their home turf?

Keep it up fellas!

GsephBison
September 1st, 2018, 11:46 AM
Kept them out of the end zone. That’s big. If they can control the clock they have a real shot.

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
September 1st, 2018, 11:58 AM
10-7 NC State

Down Rashard Robinson and like 3-4 other starters on defense, I don't see us being able to hold back this NC State passing attack.

Redbird 4th & short
September 1st, 2018, 12:00 PM
10-7 NC State

Down Rashard Robinson and like 3-4 other starters on defense, I don't see us being able to hold back this NC State passing attack.

how do you mean down 3-4 other starters ... from last year or this year ?

Redbird 4th & short
September 1st, 2018, 12:06 PM
wow JMU QB Denucci is single handedly carrying this offense so far ... passing and running. Go them back inside 10

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
September 1st, 2018, 12:09 PM
how do you mean down 3-4 other starters ... from last year or this year ?

From this year.

Rashard Robinson, All-American corner out for the year
Darrious Carter, starting DL out for 3 games for a suspension
Landon Word, starting LB out with injury

Also missing Curtis Oliver and Charles Tutt, who were in the 1-2 deep.

UNHWildcat18
September 1st, 2018, 12:10 PM
Unlucky fumble, Nova and JMU look pretty ****ing strong so far

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
September 1st, 2018, 12:33 PM
17-7 at half. I am thoroughly impressed with our offensive performance (sans DiNucci's fumble).

Defense is going as expected. Even if we werent down so many people on D, we are playing against potentially the first overall QB picked in the draft and a stable of receivers that is probably top 3 in the ACC.

Us keeping this competitive would be a good sign for things ahead.

Schism55
September 1st, 2018, 12:41 PM
17-7 at half. I am thoroughly impressed with our offensive performance (sans DiNucci's fumble).

Defense is going as expected. Even if we werent down so many people on D, we are playing against potentially the first overall QB picked in the draft and a stable of receivers that is probably top 3 in the ACC.

Us keeping this competitive would be a good sign for things ahead.

Well said..JMU going toe to toe with the 'Pack and absolutely holding their own. No fumble and this is an entirely different game.

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
September 1st, 2018, 01:01 PM
17-10 NC State. Forced a three and out and then drove the field to kick a 19 yard field goal. Dinucci continues to impress.

Schism55
September 1st, 2018, 01:02 PM
Ummm dont love that call...go for the TD!

cx500d
September 1st, 2018, 01:03 PM
Jmu should have went for it. Kicking a fg implies they might be satisfied with a “good loss” vice a win

cx500d
September 1st, 2018, 01:09 PM
Nc st obviously more interested in winning than jmu

Redbird 4th & short
September 1st, 2018, 01:34 PM
impressive 3 quarters for JMU .. seem to have reloaded just fine on defense .. and have nice replacement at QB. Just one game .. 3 quarters to be exact .. but nice start.

cx500d
September 1st, 2018, 01:52 PM
They need to quit being so conservative and play for a win instead of a close loss

cx500d
September 1st, 2018, 01:57 PM
Jmu trying hard to screw the pooch

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
September 1st, 2018, 02:05 PM
GG, 24-13 NC State. Probably made sense to let them score after that first down so that we can try and score a quick TD and onside kick.

Redbird 4th & short
September 1st, 2018, 02:06 PM
NC St just scored .. game pretty much over. But nice day for JMU.

StrikeJMU
September 1st, 2018, 02:06 PM
Tough day for the corners. Other than that, xthumbsupx.

cx500d
September 1st, 2018, 02:19 PM
Should have went for the 1st down wth less than a yd to go on the 3 yard line....coulda changed the game dynamics....

StrikeJMU
September 1st, 2018, 02:38 PM
By the Numbers
Total Yards- JMU-365 NCSU-392
Pass- JMU-202 NCSU-309
Rush- JMU-163 NCSU-83
1st Downs- JMU-23 NCSU-25

DiNucci- 23 of 27 1TD, 0INT, 79 rushing

aust42
September 1st, 2018, 03:21 PM
I watched the game. Announcers mentioned JMU matched up well with NC State with size, speed and athletic ability and that certainly was the case. If JMU doesn't fumble the ball on the 7 yard line going in for the score in the 2nd quarter and not be so conservative kicking a field goal on the 1 yard line instead of gong for a TD maybe it's a different outcome.

BDKJMU
September 1st, 2018, 04:10 PM
I’m pleasantly surprised we didnt get blown out.

Havent read this thread, don’t know if its been aaid yet. Started only 1 senior each side of the ball.

Of the 11 starters on defense who started vs NDSU, only ONE played today. 4 returned. Besides the devastating news for JMU of AA/pre season CAA Defensive POTY Rashad Robinson out for season, another starter was injured, and All CAA DE Darrious Carter was reportedly suspended for 3 games. Also the 3rd and 4th corner were out. The 5th & 6th corner were constanly getting picked on. I had predicted 38-20. If I’d known what JMU would have available today vs a projected 1st round draft pick QB & 1-2 projected NFL WR, I would have said 52-20.

On 3 1st and goal had a fumble and 2 FG which killed JMU.

Derby City Duke
September 2nd, 2018, 01:13 AM
What I learned this morning -- watched the DVR version...

Riley Stapleton is a bad man.

Our front 7 played pretty well against the run until the very end.

If you have a good QB and receiver set, you'll be successful at matriculating the ball down the field. We were no match for the NCSU receivers and never really got consistent pressure on Finley.

DiNucci might be a dual threat, but I don't remember JMU taking a single deep shot. Every pass was short, within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage; feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I just don't understand why our guys continue to do dumb crap to get suspended. Sucks losing Robinson and not having the other 3 guys who are still recovering from injuries -- can't control that stuff. But Carter can control his choices; too bad he's selfish.

I'm not a fan of Jahee Jackson -- easily could've drawn a personal foul penalty on the DiNucci fumble. It's one thing to dive after the ball, it's quite another to swing the arm as you land on the guy. He was the one who Coach Houston pulled from the NDSU game in January for mauling the NDSU player after an interception.

The game was closer than I thought it would be, but we didn't play nearly well enough to win.

Dukie95
September 2nd, 2018, 07:16 AM
DiNucci might be a dual threat, but I don't remember JMU taking a single deep shot. Every pass was short, within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage; feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Throughout this QB battle, that was a constant theme. Johnson has the better deep ball, but isn't comfortable leaving the pocket. The QB battle was less about who is the better player, but what type of offense are they interested in running. It's clear that DiNucci's style is more compatible with Schor.

ASU33
September 2nd, 2018, 09:06 AM
Great effort by the Dukes. I was watching this game pulling for JMU.

Longhorn
September 2nd, 2018, 10:56 AM
Jmu should have went for it. Kicking a fg implies they might be satisfied with a “good loss” vice a win

No, what it implies is that JMU's coaching staff knows JMU can drive the ball and score again. No need to risk points when there is nearly an entire half yet to play.

Fundamental misunderstanding of how Houston sees the game. He had confidence his team could score again and win the game.

BDKJMU
September 3rd, 2018, 06:16 PM
What I learned this morning -- watched the DVR version...

Riley Stapleton is a bad man.

Our front 7 played pretty well against the run until the very end.

If you have a good QB and receiver set, you'll be successful at matriculating the ball down the field. We were no match for the NCSU receivers and never really got consistent pressure on Finley.

I just don't understand why our guys continue to do dumb crap to get suspended. Sucks losing Robinson and not having the other 3 guys who are still recovering from injuries -- can't control that stuff. But Carter can control his choices; too bad he's selfish.

I'm not a fan of Jahee Jackson -- easily could've drawn a personal foul penalty on the DiNucci fumble. It's one thing to dive after the ball, it's quite another to swing the arm as you land on the guy. He was the one who Coach Houston pulled from the NDSU game in January for mauling the NDSU player after an interception.

The game was closer than I thought it would be, but we didn't play nearly well enough to win.

Yep on Stapleton. 9 catches, 88 yds, 1TD. Although mostly on short passes, pretty good vs a decent P5 secondary.

You mean if you have a 1st round draft pick QB, a couple of likely draft picks at WR, and a couple of likely draft picks at OL, you'll be successful at matriculating the ball down the field.
-JMU won’t face again this season another QB, WR & OL as big and talented as what faced Sat. Maybe NDSU would be as talented on the OL.
-JMU should sometime soon get their #3 (Oliver) and #4 (Tutt) corners back.
-The pressure on Finely wasn’t consistent, but at times JMU did get good pressure, without their All CAA de end (3 game suspension I think)

NCSU did return 3 starters in their secondary- they were BIG DBs.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/gopack.com/documents/2018/8/27/DepthChart_JMU.pdf
Havent watch the game recording, but from what I saw the NCSU seconsary was playing a little soft, giving up a little underneath, so you have to take what you are given. Dinucci did throw 1 deeper ball, and it should have been picked..NCSU DB dropped it.