PDA

View Full Version : Samford is in.

chattanoogamocs
March 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Samford to join Southern Conference in 2008
Thursday, March 15, 2007, at 10:27 a.m.

By Wesley Rucker
Staff Writer

Samford has accepted an invitation to leave the Ohio Valley Conference for the Southern Conference beginning in the 2008-09 academic year, SoCon commissioner John Iamarino said Thursday morning.

The league's presidents met via teleconference Thursday morning and unanimously voted in favor of inviting Samford into the SoCon, according to Iamarino.

Iamarino said a formal announcement was coming later this afternoon.

Read Friday's Times Free Press for more information

E-mail Wesley Rucker at [email protected]

lizrdgizrd
March 15th, 2007, 12:33 PM
If it was unanimous I guess they see a reason that we don't see. xconfusedx

Mountaineer
March 15th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Hurray!!!!......I guess..? :( xrolleyesx

bobbythekidd
March 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Oh well. I wanted Coastal

OL FU
March 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Welcome Samfordxthumbsupx

Mountaineer
March 15th, 2007, 12:44 PM
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=827368

Samford University to Join Southern Conference
Courtesy: Southern Conference
Release: 03/15/2007

Samford University is the largest independently supported university in the state of Alabama.

The Southern Conference announced today that Samford University has accepted an invitation to join the Conference. Samford will become the 12th member of the SoCon beginning July 1, 2008.

The SoCon’s Council of Presidents formally ratified the unanimous endorsement of the league’s Executive Committee during a teleconference held this morning.

“We are delighted that Samford University will become the 12th member of the SoCon,” said Southern Conference commissioner John Iamarino. “Samford’s institutional profile is one that is very consistent with those of our current members – strong academics, an unwavering commitment to the welfare and graduation of the student-athlete, combined with a burning desire to operate a successful athletics program within the mission of the institution.”

In 2003-04, Samford was ranked seventh --- along with Harvard, Bradley and U.S. Naval Academy --- in the inaugural national Academic Progress Ratings (APR). Over the last five years, more than 50 percent of Samford’s student-athletes earned a grade point average of 3.00 or better. In the last three academic years, Samford student-athletes have earned an average grade point average of 2.85.

lizrdgizrd
March 15th, 2007, 12:46 PM
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=827368
So I guess we took them for the grades? xeyebrowx

Mountaineer
March 15th, 2007, 12:48 PM

That's what I took from the article too. Not much about the sports impact, but hey, when the SoCon starts offering the Spelling Bee Championships - Samford will come in really handy. xthumbsupx xlolx xbawlingx

OL FU
March 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM
That's what I took from the article too. Not much about the sports impact, but hey, when the SoCon starts offering the Spelling Bee Championships - Samford will come in really handy. xthumbsupx xlolx xbawlingx

No they can't take Elon's place at the bottom of football and they can't take our place at the top of academics. ( You notice how conveniently I left out Davidsonxlolx )

AppGuy04
March 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

89Hen
March 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Does Samford's departure make the OVC stronger or weaker? xeyebrowx

youwouldno
March 15th, 2007, 01:11 PM
With Sullivan as their football HC Samford should be OK. They won't be at the top but middle of the pack is possible.

GSUhooligan
March 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Are intercollegiate chess teams and spelling bee's a huge money maker? Why would grades matter in an athletic conference?

PaladinFan
March 15th, 2007, 01:41 PM
You talk as if there aren't similar academic schools already in the conference....

Welcome Bulldogs.

lizrdgizrd
March 15th, 2007, 02:02 PM
You talk as if there aren't similar academic schools already in the conference....

Welcome Bulldogs.
I'm not very concerned about our conference's academics. We're doing just fine. I'm just wondering why we chose Samford if not for their academic reputation.

lizrdgizrd
March 15th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Are intercollegiate chess teams and spelling bee's a huge money maker? Why would grades matter in an athletic conference?
What else do they offer? Mediocre football & basketball? A decent baseball team.

Killtoppers90
March 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM
It's the OVC! They suck from top to bottom with the exceptions of EKU (Hate to say that) and Jacksonville St.

furman94
March 15th, 2007, 02:16 PM
I wish we could have picked up C.Carolina! Why Samford? They'll make our conference weaker!xbawlingx xbawlingx xmadx

Mr. C
March 15th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Here is the deal. The main reason Samford was brought into the league was to appease Chattanooga. There were some promises made when Chattanooga decided to stay in the league, instead of going to the OVC. Secondly, the private schools (who have a lot of influence) didn't want another public institution at this time. Thirdly, the SoCon liked the idea of expanding into Alabama and getting some exposure in the Birmingham media market.

Again on the subject of Coastal Carolina, there was never any official interest in CCU and there was little support for the Chanticleers among conference schools for a vareity of reasons.

DinoDex200
March 15th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Right...adding another public might make it more difficult for the privates to keep up...can't have that. I guess we're at the mercy of effete snobs right now...with another joining the league.

I promise you, the SoCon will get about as much "media exposure" in Birmingham as the OVC did. Which is to say, very little. They'll be more concerned about how big of a deuce Saban dropped before practice than to cover Samford.

I would be willing to bet that the vote was not unanimous, BTW...but that wouldn't look good in a press release.

Cocky
March 15th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Anytime you eliminate your weakest link you get stronger overall.

OL FU
March 15th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Right...adding another public might make it more difficult for the privates to keep up...can't have that. I guess we're at the mercy of effete snobs right now...with another joining the league.

I promise you, the SoCon will get about as much "media exposure" in Birmingham as the OVC did. Which is to say, very little. They'll be more concerned about how big of a deuce Saban dropped before practice than to cover Samford.

I would be willing to bet that the vote was not unanimous, BTW...but that wouldn't look good in a press release.

OK so Dino is leading the pack for dumbass statements on this thread. I think you should looked at last years conference standings. Yep big ol ASU was first but lil ol FU and WC were second and third. So much for your first statement.

Oh yeah and a small private won basket ball too.

There is an always has been a balance between small and large in the SoCon and the small's would like to keep it that way.

Now that does not mean that Samford was the right choice but let's not get too sideways here about the reasons.

chattanoogamocs
March 15th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Yep, you hit the nail on the head...it is a big conspiracy and the private schools have so much power that they forced...probably at gun point...ASU Chancellor Peacock not only to vote for Samford, but to also say nice things about them in the press release.

Email Peacock, I am sure he will confess to you that he was held against his will.

;)

BTW--don't y'all know, it is not the privates that have all the power...it is CHATTANOOGA...we are the puppet masters, dictating the SoCon's every move! muahahahaaha

AppGuy04
March 15th, 2007, 03:03 PM
So we now take another conference's scraps instead of the class of the conference like Coastal??

chattanoogamocs
March 15th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I don't see why GSU and ASU fans are upset, the should be rejoicing! ...because surely this will be the final straw on their respective moves to FBS!

xthumbsupx

OL FU
March 15th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Personally, I agree. I would rather have CCU.

But let's not start making wild accusations about why and why not? From my chair I would love to have CCU. From my chair other than benefitting Chattanooga (which is big) I don't see Samford in the SoCon. We all have pretty small chairs.
That doesn't mean that we can't have opinions. but let's don't let them lead us into fantasyland.

lizrdgizrd
March 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Personally, I agree. I would rather have CCU.

But let's not start making wild accusations about why and why not? From my chair I would love to have CCU. From my chair other than benefitting Chattanooga (which is big) I don't see Samford in the SoCon. We all have pretty small chairs.
That doesn't mean that we can't have opinions. but let's don't let them lead us into fantasyland.
Was there no better option for Chattanooga and the SoCon? xconfusedx

OL FU
March 15th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Was there no better option for Chattanooga and the SoCon? xconfusedx

I liked Jacksonville state but there are rumors on the JSU board that Chatt did not want them. I don't know if that is right. But my point is let's don't start making thing up like the privates don't want someone better. The privates damn well hold their own in the SoCon if my memory serves me.

CoastalFan2005
March 15th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Again on the subject of Coastal Carolina, there was never any official interest in CCU and there was little support for the Chanticleers among conference schools for a vareity of reasons.

Those reasons being? By reading some of these posts, I'm not the only one that wants to know. xcoffeex

GaSouthern
March 15th, 2007, 03:24 PM
The $#IT just hit the fan xrotatehx

I wanted coastal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

89Hen
March 15th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Were they though? In their four years in the OVC they were 13-19. Not great, but certainly not a doormat.

2006: 1-7
2005: 5-3
2004: 3-5
2003: 4-4

During that same time...

Murray 15-17
TSU 13-19
TTU 13-19
UTM 12-20

Cocky
March 15th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Were they though? In their four years in the OVC they were 13-19. Not great, but certainly not a doormat.

2006: 1-7
2005: 5-3
2004: 3-5
2003: 4-4

During that same time...

Murray 15-17
TSU 13-19
TTU 13-19
UTM 12-20

Most cleaned their feet on Samford last year.

89Hen
March 15th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Most cleaned their feet on Samford last year.
Same could be said for Delaware. :o :p

GaSouthern
March 15th, 2007, 04:50 PM
http://www.samford.edu/camprec/Seibert%20Stadium%201.JPG

Can't wait to see all 6K fans rockin the house xsmhx xbawlingx xnonono2x

tsutiger
March 15th, 2007, 04:54 PM
hmmmmmmm. this doesn't make sense to me. But thanks for taking Samford instead of JSU. Samford didn't bring anything to the OVC. Don't see what the bring to the socon

GSUISBACK
March 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I don't see why GSU and ASU fans are upset, the should be rejoicing! ...because surely this will be the final straw on their respective moves to FBS!

xthumbsupx
not with our current ad.xnonono2x

JDC325
March 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM
hmmmmmmm. this doesn't make sense to me. But thanks for taking Samford instead of JSU. Samford didn't bring anything to the OVC. Don't see what the bring to the socon

Exactly another "who" small private school game SoCon fans will yawn at. No way are they going to travel well with a whopping 4500 students and no way are they going to increase average attendance in fact it will probalbly be the other way around for most SoCon schools. JSU made a ton more sense or Costal. Looks like the small private schools have a grip on the SoCon. xnonono2x Bad Bad move for the SoCon great for Samford.

Fresno St. Alum
March 15th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Maybe the SoCon can make up for it by bringing back ETSU in 2010 with football. How about Withrop 10 FB 14 BB. Withrop, great b-ball team and private.

dungeonjoe
March 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Maybe the SoCon can make up for it by bringing back ETSU in 2010 with football. How about Withrop 10 FB 14 BB. Withrop, great b-ball team and private.

Winthrop is not private.

chattanoogamocs
March 15th, 2007, 05:50 PM
the admin that swore to me in December that Samford would be invited before the end of March (which turned out to be, obviously, dead on) also told me that in two years they were leaning towards ETSU (if they were committed and on track to bringing back football) and CCU (if they continued to develop as well as they had...and had their new basketball complex)

ETSU in the North, CCU in the South.

Another consideration in two years would be Kennesaw State (also if they were serious about football)

BTW...don't anyone try to push JSU not getting a look as Chattanooga's fault...it was much more the privates that were not interested (same thing for CCU).

I wish Chattanooga had all the power and control that some seem to think they have over the SoCon (quite frankly, if Chattanooga really had control, ETSU would still be in the league, albeit without football, and this expansion would have not even been necessary)

chattanoogamocs
March 15th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Winthrop is not private.

They just have a "private sounding" name :)

Fresno St. Alum
March 15th, 2007, 05:54 PM
That's a S.Carolina State school? Wow Didn't know that. Are there any others that sound private, that are public?

CitadelGrad
March 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Samford may not have been a great choice, but why is there so much support for Coastal membership in the SoCon? Its academics are horrible and some of their athletic practices are questionable. I hope we never see Coastal in the SoCon.

catamount man
March 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Samford may not have been a great choice, but why is there so much support for Coastal membership in the SoCon? Its academics are horrible and some of their athletic practices are questionable. I hope we never see Coastal in the SoCon.

Amen and WELCOME SAMFORD!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

AppGuy04
March 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Such as? Don't just throw out slanderous accusations and not provide proof or atleast examples

dbackjon
March 15th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Looks like the OVC just got better. Head-scratcher of a move from an outsider's perspective.

CCU97
March 15th, 2007, 06:29 PM

General statements like that show that you really aren't sure of what you are talking about....ACT score comparisons between the Citadel and CCU are 22 to 21...not too far apart...yes the SAT has about a 50 pt. difference but under the current grading that may only be 5-10 questions and in the grand scheme of things isn't a huge difference to over come considering until 10 years ago Coastal was primarily a regional college. The Academics at Coastal have been improving by leaps and bounds the past 4 years and will continue to do so...Not to mention a Marine Science and Business program that are very well respected through the US.

El Cid's major complaint with Coastal is they don't want another team coming in that is another definite loss on their record....Wins don't come their way that often in football and they want to try and change it when they can...

As far as questionable athletic practices please show me any proof of this....if it is your coach saying our coach did something or a player saying we did something don't bother....show proof and stop making false statements about a program that is up and coming and scares you.xnonox

Fresno St. Alum
March 15th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I like CCU they've only had football since 04 right and they've already made the playoffs.

CCU97
March 15th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Correct(after only 4 years)...

Back to the Cid Grad...I would agree that Coastal isn't the strongest academic school out there...but if academics is why a school's fans don't want another school to join then why have an athletic conference...why not join the Ivy League or get rid of sports and have debate teams, chess teams, and College Bowl teams instead...see how a fan base would react to having a bad team but a hell of an academic reputation.....

CoastalFan2005
March 15th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Proof please? Don't spew crap unless you've got facts to back it up. xnonono2x xnonox

EDIT: Being that I'm graduating this May, I'd like to share something with you. Out of 25 freshmen that came into my department with me in Fall 2003, I'm the only one graduating this semester. If CCU is such an easy place to get a degree from and our academics are so bad - why is it that I'm the only person that managed to get a degree from my department in the 4 years it's supposed to have taken me? Wow - I'm the only one that didn't flunk out, transfer, or fall a year or more behind in my class. CCU is REALLY easy. xrolleyesx

CoastalFan2005
March 15th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Amen and WELCOME SAMFORD!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Do you agree with CitadelGrad's statements about CCU's academics as well as our athletic practices? Do you have the facts to back up those statements which your post seems to agree with? xeyebrowx

chattanoogamocs
March 15th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Just thought I would point out that academics ARE very important to university presidents...and that is who voted today.

Now don't get mad at me, I am not criticizing any school...just making a point that while fans only care about how good athletics are...and on this board, it is pretty much how well football does and nothing else matters...but university presidents look at it differently than fans do.

These are generally the same fans that have never lost a game while coaching from stands ;)

youwouldno
March 15th, 2007, 08:00 PM
This was not private vs. public. The current SoCon members wanted Samford, for various reasons. When the SoCon took Elon, that program had been doing quite well. The Phoenix had beaten Furman and dominated the Big South. Look what happened. It's not just a question of how well a team has done in the past year or several years.

Samford is going to have to make major improvements in their competitiveness, no doubt. My guess is that the SoCon Presidents & ADs are impressed with Samford's leadership and think they can pull it off.

appsfan
March 15th, 2007, 08:16 PM
While Samford wouldn't be my first choice, the decision has been made; Welcome to the SoCon Samford. I wouldn't get bent out of shape about the private vs public deal. My guess that the next new member, whenever that is, will be a public institution.

Go...gate
March 15th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Are we now officially in the FCS "shake-out"? Three teams have transferred from one league to another in two weeks.

GSUhooligan
March 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM
While Samford wouldn't be my first choice, the decision has been made; Welcome to the SoCon Samford. I wouldn't get bent out of shape about the private vs public deal. My guess that the next new member, whenever that is, will be a public institution.

Yeah, b/c all the logical private schools are already in the SoCon.

lizrdgizrd
March 15th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Proof please? Don't spew crap unless you've got facts to back it up. xnonono2x xnonox

EDIT: Being that I'm graduating this May, I'd like to share something with you. Out of 25 freshmen that came into my department with me in Fall 2003, I'm the only one graduating this semester. If CCU is such an easy place to get a degree from and our academics are so bad - why is it that I'm the only person that managed to get a degree from my department in the 4 years it's supposed to have taken me? Wow - I'm the only one that didn't flunk out, transfer, or fall a year or more behind in my class. CCU is REALLY easy. xrolleyesx
I'm not so sure your reasoning on the rigors of your academics is the only answer. Could be that CCU accepted students that weren't mentally/emotionally prepared to handle the college lifestyle or who weren't academically prepared for the work. Not saying that you don't have a fine school, just saying that your interpretation isn't necessarily the only possible one.

lizrdgizrd
March 15th, 2007, 09:11 PM
This was not private vs. public. The current SoCon members wanted Samford, for various reasons. When the SoCon took Elon, that program had been doing quite well. The Phoenix had beaten Furman and dominated the Big South. Look what happened. It's not just a question of how well a team has done in the past year or several years.

Samford is going to have to make major improvements in their competitiveness, no doubt. My guess is that the SoCon Presidents & ADs are impressed with Samford's leadership and think they can pull it off.
I'm sure the Presidents had their reasons for taking Samford. On the surface it certainly isn't their athletic prowess (at least in football or basketball). I hope they share what their thought process was. xpeacex

Anyone know how they rank in other athletics? I know they have a pretty decent baseball team.

I think ETSU and CCU would make good athletic additions (once ETSU gets back up to speed in football). Winthrop wouldn't be bad either for basketball. xnodx

PaladinFan
March 15th, 2007, 09:58 PM
My opinion is that I am just going with the president's on this one. I have the utmost respect for Furman's president, Dr. Shi. Furthermore, I have gained respect for a lot of the other university presidents, like Dr. Peacock (I think) at App. My inclination is that they are all bright, academic minded yet athletically supportive members of this decision making committee.

If they think Samford is a good choice, then I am with them. I think it bears repeating that this is THE oldest and most storied conference in the FCS and decisions (most likely) aren't made on a whim.

asufan87
March 15th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I think it bears repeating that this is THE oldest and most storied conference in the FCS and decisions (most likely) aren't made on a whim.

I think it is also worth repeating that no other league in the history of collegiate athletics has fallen from such lofty heights as the Socon has. Going from being the father of the ACC and SEC to adding Samford is a pretty big drop! What does that say about decision making?

CoastalFan2005
March 15th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I'm not so sure your reasoning on the rigors of your academics is the only answer. Could be that CCU accepted students that weren't mentally/emotionally prepared to handle the college lifestyle or who weren't academically prepared for the work. Not saying that you don't have a fine school, just saying that your interpretation isn't necessarily the only possible one.

I'm not trying to claim that my interpretation is the only possible one - I'm simply trying to point out to our Citadel friend that people tend to give CCU a far worse rep for their academics than it probably deserves. People do that a lot - and I'm just trying to point out that we're not as terrible as popular opinion would hold.

I agree that some of my peers that have left CCU were mentally and emotionally unprepared for college - but not so many that it was most of the ones that left.

All in all, I agree with your post - again, just trying my best to begin to dispel the belief that our academics are as terrible as some would say. :)

coastalalum
March 15th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Samford may not have been a great choice, but why is there so much support for Coastal membership in the SoCon?

academics at ccu are ever-improving. it's tough to shake off that stigma, but the numbers will continue to show that the people at coastal are righting the ship. as to why the southern conference might would want coastal carolina...(although i'm for staying in the big south for the near future myself).

the chants made the playoffs in their 4th year of existence, not to mention a couple of trips to the top 25 along the way

ccu is currently the 11th ranked golf team in the nation (was as high as 6th last week)

ccu is currently the 15th ranked baseball team (baseball america)

the soccer team is no stranger to the top 25 and the postseason

the basketball team is slowly getting better with buzz peterson and a brand new arena coming in the very near future.

no smack here, but i think coastal will be just fine with or without the socon.

asufan87
March 15th, 2007, 10:24 PM
academics at ccu are ever-improving. it's tough to shake off that stigma, but the numbers will continue to show that the people at coastal are righting the ship. as to why the southern conference might would want coastal carolina...(although i'm for staying in the big south for the near future myself).

the chants made the playoffs in their 4th year of existence, not to mention a couple of trips to the top 25 along the way

ccu is currently the 11th ranked golf team in the nation (was as high as 6th last week)

the basketball team is slowly getting better with buzz peterson and a brand new arena coming in the very near future.

The bottom line is that EVERY existing Socon member is scared of the threat that Coastal presents in terms of competitiveness, particularly for recruits. As long as Coastal is in the Big South, Socon coaches can sell prospective recruits on being in a overall superior league. Inviting Coastal into the league is perceived as a major threat to future competitiveness. Socon schools are scared of Coastal and the potential this school/program has. That's the truth of the matter.

The Socon screwed up taking Samford. It should have been Coastal joining.

BigApp
March 15th, 2007, 10:37 PM

boy, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

youwouldno
March 15th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I think it is also worth repeating that no other league in the history of collegiate athletics has fallen from such lofty heights as the Socon has. Going from being the father of the ACC and SEC to adding Samford is a pretty big drop! What does that say about decision making?

That's just pure ignorance. You obviously don't know anything about collegiate athletics, and should stop pretending to.

BigApp
March 15th, 2007, 11:45 PM
looks to me like his condensed timeline is 100% accurate. Whats the problem?

March 16th, 2007, 12:29 AM
the sky is falling the sky is falling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mountaineer#96
March 16th, 2007, 12:52 AM
not sure what to make of this just yet......... xlolx ,xbawlingx , or just plain xnonono2x

rokamortis
March 16th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Congratulations Samford and SoCon!!!

chantster
March 16th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Congratulations Samford and SoCon!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

rokamortis
March 16th, 2007, 07:47 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I'm being sincere - I hope it works out great for all parties concerned.

OL FU
March 16th, 2007, 07:50 AM

xnodx xnodx xnodx

I agree not my first choice but welcome aboard. I hope you surprise everyone in football

OL FU
March 16th, 2007, 07:54 AM

That comment is meaningless when taken in appropriate context. Those events occurred fifty and seventy years ago. I believe at one point the SoCon had something like 20 schools in the conferencexrolleyesx
A more appropriate view would be we fathered the ACC and SEC. :p

OL FU
March 16th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I'm being sincere - I hope it works out great for all parties concerned.

Thanks rokxthumbsupx

Tealblood
March 16th, 2007, 08:10 AM
the comment was made that at the time Elon was dominating the Big south when they were asked to join?

What pray tell sport did they come close to the top half of the league in?

OL FU
March 16th, 2007, 08:13 AM
the comment was made that at the time Elon was dominating the Big south when they were asked to join?

I think they were 9-2 in football the year before they were invited.
I have no idea which three of those were conference games:o

ElonPride
March 16th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Well, we won a women's soccer champ in the BS. We finished in the top half of nearly every sport. Until the year we left the BS, we never had lost to a BS school that fielded football. Baseball was right behind Winthrop, the list can go on......I'm NOT saying that we dominated the league though.....

But this thread isn't about Elon...

Welcome to the league Samford.

lizrdgizrd
March 16th, 2007, 09:11 AM

So that's where Buzz went. He did a pretty good job at App. At least until another offer came in. xeyebrowx

lizrdgizrd
March 16th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I'm sure we'll make the best of it with our new member, Samford. Heck, even Elon's getting better. xsmiley_wix

WLU78
March 16th, 2007, 09:15 AM

WOW kinda like when Sewanee left the SEC? And almost the same time frame.

Look, it may take Pat a few seasons to get the football to the level acceptable to posters on this board. I remember the ASU boards two years ago when they were planning the firing of Jerry. Or when the GSU fans were excited that Van Gorder was leading the Eagles back to the promised land. A lot can happen in a couple of years. As far as how well the Bulldogs travel, well the student body is primarily from Alabama and Georgia so the Carolina schools shouldn't spend any gate money yet!

As far as the snarky post on TSC with picts of Seibert it is too bad the poster didn't spend the extra 2 minutes to find the picts of the new Hanna arena going up, the new tennis facility and the other construction underway. Oh well, must be too much water from Eagle Creek. Samford has as nice of facilities as most schools in the SOCON and are working to make further improvements.

Finally, for the CCU posters claiming academic equivalence. How many of your students were also accepted to FU, Wofford, Elon, Davidson, or App State? You can manipulate ACT score comparisons all you want but there is a reality in the difference in admission standards and that seems to be the hold up for CCU.

Thank you for the warm welcome to the SOCON

CharlestonAppFan
March 16th, 2007, 09:50 AM
First, let me say that Samford is in, period. We either have to embrace it or not and since they are coming into our conference we might as well welcome them with open arms. No sense in trashing a future member.xnonox

Samford will get better in their athletics because they have to. No school would ever just want to be associated with the SoCon or any other conference for that matter and be fine with being the doormat. That doesn't happen and won't happen in this case. Look at Elon, UTC, and yes, even Western's programs; each one of them are on the rise athletically.xnodx

Now, here's what I see happening in the next 4 years. The SoCon commissioner sees a potential for a few schools to eventually move up to FBS, so why not hedge against that and start bringing in new schools to offset the changes that will happen. I see ETSU & Coastal eventually moving in by year 4 or 2011, and ASU & GSU possibly moving up in that time frame as well (but that's another debate).

With the way most conferences' mindsets are today, the bigger the better. There are not many conferences that have less than 8 to 10 schools, and most are striving towards 15 or more, which we have that in basketball now, but not in football. I even see more members being invited to join such as Winthrop.

It just seems to me that they are preparing for some departures in the future. Just my two cents though. xpeacex

MoreheadEagle
March 16th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Bye Samford! Thanks for giving the OVC a nice even number of teams since our commish wouldn't do it.

I see the SoCon losing some teams to I-A too and Samford being added to offset the losses. However I don't see ETSU joining in the next few years.

Golden Eagle
March 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM
A shame to lose 'em. Ah well.

CID1990
March 16th, 2007, 11:10 AM
In terms of geography, I like Coastal better. Besides going to get ripped off by all the tourist traps, seeing boobs bang against kneecaps and sitting in traffic all day, I need another reason to drive to Myrtle Beach.

"Delbert, if ya wanted an easy ride, you shoulda gone to Coastal Carolina!" - LTC Harvey Dick, Asst. Commandantxwhistlex

CCU97
March 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Finally, for the CCU posters claiming academic equivalence. How many of your students were also accepted to FU, Wofford, Elon, Davidson, or App State? You can manipulate ACT score comparisons all you want but there is a reality in the difference in admission standards and that seems to be the hold up for CCU.
Not sure that any CCU poster on here has claimed academic equivalence...we have stated that we aren't as bad as some posters have made us out to be...we have stated that we are improving and still have some more to go.....we have stated that classes aren't as easy as some posters would like to think....but never have we compared ourselves to Stamford academically....

chantster
March 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Well, since you asked.

My son was accepted at Furman, Wofford, and ASU. He chose Coastal Carolina. After his freshmen year, he realized college football was a 12 month commitment. He did not want to make this commitment, wanted to be closer to home. Currently, he is a soph at College of Charleston.

Another Coastal football player, Ryan Callihan was offered and accepted at Wofford.

I could go on and on, but don't feel like looking it up to back my argument.

Don't believe all the stories you hear regarding CCU signing marginal players. That is simply not true. I have seen enough players that were exceptional atheletes turned down by CCU because of academics. They are mostly playing Div II.

Also, I find it interesting we have signed recruits that were also being recruited by Furman, Wofford, and other SoCon teams. There is a QB for a SoCon team that CCU wouldn't touch.

One of the SoCon recruiters personally told me how they "get around the system" with the skill players. I'll leave it at that. Makes me laugh every time one of their posters talk about how they only recruit top academic athletes.

catdaddy2402
March 16th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Very questionable move by the SoCon IMO, especially after the uproar from App St and GSU when they added Elon.Now they go and add yet another small private school that brings little to the conference and has almost zero growth potential.
If I were a fan of either App St or GSU I'd be extremely upset with the further watering down of the conference with a team that hasn't been to the playoffs since '92. The Gateway makes a move that strengthens it's football side and the SoCon makes a move that weakens theirs.

The idea that adding Samford will get you increased exposure in the Birmingham market is like adding Benedict will give you the Columbia media market. Oh sure...they are located there....but honestly is it worth it to get a small blurb buried deep in the sports section?

89Hen
March 16th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Bye Samford! Thanks for giving the OVC a nice even number of teams since our commish wouldn't do it.
Not a big deal, but why do you consider an even number to be better? IMO 9 is the perfect size since conferences customarily play 8 conference games (if they're big enough). I could see where somebody might like only 7 with 4 OOC... didn't know if that's why you were saying that.

dbackjon
March 16th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Not a big deal, but why do you consider an even number to be better? IMO 9 is the perfect size since conferences customarily play 8 conference games (if they're big enough). I could see where somebody might like only 7 with 4 OOC... didn't know if that's why you were saying that.

Nine is good for football, Pain in the butt for other team sports, especially basketball.

ncguitarplyr
March 16th, 2007, 01:32 PM
i don't like this addition but i do think the socon needs more help on the bball side more than the football....i mean the socon has the last 2 fcs national championships....but what does the socon have in basketball? an autobid that results in a 12-13seed every year?

Mountaineer
March 16th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Yeah, nine is what we'll have for football next year. Twelve for basketball (Davidson, UNCG, CoC).

Still wish that if this was a reason to keep UTC in the conference I wouldn't have minded seeing them leave. Then take 2 of 3 out of Jacksonville State, Coastal, and ETSU. :(

dbackjon
March 16th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah, nine is what we'll have for football next year. Twelve for basketball (Davidson, UNCG, CoC).

Still wish that if this was a reason to keep UTC in the conference I wouldn't have minded seeing them leave. Then take 2 of 3 out of Jacksonville State, Coastal, and ETSU. :(

If UTC went to the OVC, that would leave less reason for JSU to make the switch.

Mountaineer
March 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM
If UTC went to the OVC, that would leave less reason for JSU to make the switch.

What about the fact that it's the OVC? :p :D

dbackjon
March 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM
What about the fact that it's the OVC? :p :D

xrolleyesx :p

lizrdgizrd
March 16th, 2007, 02:03 PM
i don't like this addition but i do think the socon needs more help on the bball side more than the football....i mean the socon has the last 2 fcs national championships....but what does the socon have in basketball? an autobid that results in a 12-13seed every year?
Yeah, maybe we should have recruited Winthrop. xeyebrowx

youwouldno
March 16th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Winthrop is just the Gregg Marshall show. He leaves, Winthrop goes downhill fast.

mtnralum
March 16th, 2007, 02:25 PM
No more need to book a DII school to fill up the schedule, now we have Samford!

CCU97
March 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Winthrop is just the Gregg Marshall show. He leaves, Winthrop goes downhill fast.

Yes but the Marshall show is hanging pretty tough with ND right now...most schools at our levels (mid-major) are nothing more than their coach...if he can't recruit...you will not win...if he can't coach...you will not win...and what is the fun of making the dance if you don't stand a chance...

proasu89
March 16th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Yes but the Marshall show is hanging pretty tough with ND right now...most schools at our levels (mid-major) are nothing more than their coach...if he can't recruit...you will not win...if he can't coach...you will not win...and what is the fun of making the dance if you don't stand a chance...
Funny you should say that, because I thought you guys would be better w/ Buzz. Has he been there long enough to judge?

CCU97
March 16th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Not really...when he came in last year we already had our recruits...so this year was the first year to actually see his recruits and they played good but were young....if he sticks around a few more years we'll see where it gets us but he has to be there to judge and we all know how he likes to move around....xnodx

lizrdgizrd
March 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Not really...when he came in last year we already had our recruits...so this year was the first year to actually see his recruits and they played good but were young....if he sticks around a few more years we'll see where it gets us but he has to be there to judge and we all know how he likes to move around....xnodx
Yeah, just wait 'till he makes it to the dance and then takes the next job offer at an SEC school. xnonono2x

Jiggs
March 16th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Samford is glad to be joining the Southern Conference. I think you will all be pleasantly surprised.

lizrdgizrd
March 16th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Samford is glad to be joining the Southern Conference. I think you will all be pleasantly surprised.
I hope so. xthumbsupx xpeacex

Mountaineer
March 16th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Welcome aboard Jiggs. xnodx I know some of us aren't too thrilled with the decision, but now that you guys are in I hope to see good things. xthumbsupx xnodx

Definitely need some Samford folks to make more of a presence over here. Hell, we could use more Chatty, WCU and Elon posters too. xpeacex

Mountaineer
March 16th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Is the SoCon really viewed now as a private school conference? xconfusedx

A quote from the OVC commish:

I am disappointed that Samford University has made this decision. I am resolute in my belief that Samford could achieve any of its goals athletically or institutionally as a member of the Ohio Valley Conference. However, I understand the institution?s desire to be associated with other private institutions.

Random quotes:

Nothing personal but this is good for the OVC and I am sure it is good for Samford. There are many more schools with something in common with Samford in the Southern Conference than in the OVC. So let the rivalries begin with Furman, Elon and the other private schools in the SC.

Great move. Now we have some schools that look like we do. And we'll have to step it up both athletically(in some sports) and academically. Look forward to Davidson, Elon, and Furman.

dbackjon
March 16th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Is the SoCon really viewed now as a private school conference? xconfusedx

A quote from the OVC commish:

Random quotes:

Looks that way...
Samford
Elon
Davidson
Furman
Wofford

5 of 12 private, plus Citadel...

SU DOG
March 16th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Just to echo what Jiggs said. We DID NOT join the SoCon to be anybody's doormat in ANY sport. A new President and a great AD will not allow our coaches to be mediocre. Our football coach, his staff and signees this year indicate the improvement that will be apparent. Add to this increased financial commitment along with new and improved facilities(including football) and I can assure you that our athletics will be worthy of the SoCon. A little research before you express your opinion would obviously be a good suggestion for some of you!!! xeyebrowx
I thought we would be on here accepting congrats from SoCon posters, NOT defending ourselves.

dbackjon
March 16th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Just to echo what Jiggs said. We DID NOT join the SoCon to be anybody's doormat in ANY sport. A new President and a great AD will not allow our coaches to be mediocre. Our football coach, his staff and signees this year indicate the improvement that will be apparent. Add to this increased financial commitment along with new and improved facilities(including football) and I can assure you that our athletics will be worthy of the SoCon. A little research before you express your opinion would obviously be a good suggestion for some of you!!! xeyebrowx
I thought we would be on here accepting congrats from SoCon posters, NOT defending ourselves.

Welcome.

But you also have to understand some of the SoCon's teams views - you have plans, etc. But honestly, what have you shown on the field? Not much, really. So you have to expect the doubters. Until Samford proves itself on the field/court, that is the reaction you should expect.

SoCon48
March 16th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Here is the deal. The main reason Samford was brought into the league was to appease Chattanooga. There were some promises made when Chattanooga decided to stay in the league, instead of going to the OVC. Secondly, the private schools (who have a lot of influence) didn't want another public institution at this time. Thirdly, the SoCon liked the idea of expanding into Alabama and getting some exposure in the Birmingham media market.

Thirdly, the SoCon liked the idea of expanding into Alabama and getting some exposure in the Birmingham media market.

So, even though Samford doesn't get any exposure there, the SoCon will????
Do you find that baffling, Mr. C.

SoCon48
March 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Well, since you asked.

My son was accepted at Furman, Wofford, and ASU. He chose Coastal Carolina. After his freshmen year, he realized college football was a 12 month commitment. He did not want to make this commitment, wanted to be closer to home. Currently, he is a soph at College of Charleston.

Another Coastal football player, Ryan Callihan was offered and accepted at Wofford.

I could go on and on, but don't feel like looking it up to back my argument.

Don't believe all the stories you hear regarding CCU signing marginal players. That is simply not true. I have seen enough players that were exceptional atheletes turned down by CCU because of academics. They are mostly playing Div II.

Also, I find it interesting we have signed recruits that were also being recruited by Furman, Wofford, and other SoCon teams. There is a QB for a SoCon team that CCU wouldn't touch.

One of the SoCon recruiters personally told me how they "get around the system" with the skill players. I'll leave it at that. Makes me laugh every time one of their posters talk about how they only recruit top academic athletes.

I have seen enough players that were exceptional atheletes turned down by CCU because of academics. They are mostly playing Div II.

That statement just blew the rest of your argument out of the water.
I heard you guys' average SAT score broke a thou a year or two ago, bringing it to within a hundred or two of most SoCon schools.

SoCon48
March 16th, 2007, 08:47 PM

So does that mean you dominated the OVC in football and basketball and brough hordes of fans to help fill the visting sides of opponents arenas and stadiums?

We're just all in shock that the SoCon took in unanimously a 2900 student school almost 9 hours from some members? Gardner-Webb wouldn't have been any more shocking.
Anway, welcome to the SoCon. Ask Elon how that works out on the field.

CoastalFan2005
March 16th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I have seen enough players that were exceptional atheletes turned down by CCU because of academics. They are mostly playing Div II.

I heard you guys' average SAT score broke a thou a year or two ago, bringing it to within a hundred or two of most SoCon schools.

Another strikingly intelligent post, JCline. xrolleyesx

Like we said to the earlier posters who made these accusations against CCU - provide some proof. Break from your MO for once and back up your words with facts. xflaggedx

CID1990
March 16th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Looks that way...
Samford
Elon
Davidson
Furman
Wofford

5 of 12 private, plus Citadel...

Whaddaya mean "PLUS Citadel"??

SoCon48
March 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Welcome.

But you also have to understand some of the SoCon's teams views - you have plans, etc. But honestly, what have you shown on the field? Not much, really. So you have to expect the doubters. Until Samford proves itself on the field/court, that is the reaction you should expect.

Can't wait to see a game here:

chantster
March 16th, 2007, 09:21 PM

Who is "you guys"? You do know it's a football related topic?

Let's look at facts:

NCAA DIVISION I 2004-05 ACADEMIC PROGRESS REPORT (APR)

Dated: 02/27/2006

Samford 992
Wofford 987
Furman 986
Coastal 951
Elon 945
Citadel 935
WCU 927

BELOW 925

ASU 914
GSU 880
UTC 837

JaxSinfonian
March 16th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Can't wait to see a game here:

To be fair, that's the visitors' side (a.k.a., the JSU side.). The stadium is very nice, but small. I suspect it will be a long time before Samford matches the crowds that Tennessee State and Jax State brought to Seibert. TSU just plain travels well, and as for us ... well, it's like an extra home game. I'm gonna miss that.

dbackjon
March 16th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Whaddaya mean "PLUS Citadel"??

Citadel - public, but acts like a private

CCU97
March 16th, 2007, 09:50 PM
To be fair, that's the visitors' side (a.k.a., the JSU side.). The stadium is very nice, but small. I suspect it will be a long time before Samford matches the crowds that Tennessee State and Jax State brought to Seibert. TSU just plain travels well, and as for us ... well, it's like an extra home game. I'm gonna miss that.

Most teams in the SoCon travel well....even Coastal travels well....lots of schools will more than fill that area if given the chance....

Sir William
March 16th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I saw an earlier quote about Samford becoming a rival of the other private SoCon schools. Get real!

Samford may become a rival of Elon eventually (no offense, Phoenix), but not Furman anytime soon (or Wofford, either). FU, ASU, and GSU form their own trifecta of rivalries, with Wofford spicing it up nicely.

Samford's most immediate rival will be Chatty, but I expect the Mocs to lay some wood down on the pups from B'ham in the early going.

Congrats to Samford for moving to a much better FCS conference (I know...here comes the smack!). But you can't expect most of us to be thrilled with this at this point. Do us all a favor...quit talking about "plans" and build up your stadium. Until you do, many of us will keep looking toward and praying for a re-joiner from over the mountains in Johnson City.

Anyway, it is what it is...welcome to the SoCon. You made the right choice to accept the invite.

Mountaineer#96
March 16th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Someone has to replace ASU when we jump to CUSA. ;)

WUTNDITWAA
March 16th, 2007, 10:15 PM

Nope. If The Citadel was private, it would still be all male. xnodx

Mountaineer#96
March 16th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Yep, and most El Cid folks say that was the downfall of the football program. I agree, my brother who will be a knob this upcoming fall said a lot of the alums hate on the females for this. Although the Dawgs will be the Elon of this upcoming year and might get a shot at the playoffs......:)

Mr. C
March 16th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Thirdly, the SoCon liked the idea of expanding into Alabama and getting some exposure in the Birmingham media market.

So, even though Samford doesn't get any exposure there, the SoCon will????
Do you find that baffling, Mr. C.
I was just explaining the SoCon's reasoning, not accepting it. To a small degree, being in the SoCon will help Samford get more attention in its market, because the Bulldogs will be drawing better matchups. In 2008, Samford will be hosting Appalachian State, a two-time (maybe three-time by then) national champion. They also will get visits from Furman and Georgia Southern, both former champions, every other year. That sure beats a game at home against (no offense) someone like Tennessee Tech or Austin Peay.

Mr. C
March 16th, 2007, 11:04 PM
The thing to remember is the SoCon schools UNANIMOUSLY voted Samford into the league. All of these schools felt that Samford was the best fit for the conference, or they wouldn't have voted for it. Whether we agree with the move, or not, the people making decisions at each school thought this was the best way to go.

And by the way, there were a lot of unhappy folks around the SoCon in the 1970s when the league was adding schools like Appalachian State and Western Carolina. This is a subject that really never changes in this league. Teams come, teams go and there is always criticism of the new schools coming into the league.

chattanoogamocs
March 16th, 2007, 11:09 PM
BTW...since Seibert Stadium has been pounded on all day...tell me again how much bigger Brooks Stadium is?

One of the top stories in the Birmingham News today...
http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1174033062163240.xml&coll=2

chattanoogamocs
March 16th, 2007, 11:16 PM
And by the way, there were a lot of unhappy folks around the SoCon in the 1970s when the league was adding schools like Appalachian State and Western Carolina. This is a subject that really never changes in this league. Teams come, teams go and there is always criticism of the new schools coming into the league.

I guess if there was an internet back in 1977, all the high and mighty SoCon schools would be trashing the admins for letting in Chattanooga...straight from DII no less! :)

rokamortis
March 16th, 2007, 11:34 PM
BTW...since Seibert Stadium has been pounded on all day...tell me again how much bigger Brooks Stadium is?

Brooks Stadium: 7,322
Seibert: 6,700

CCU has just broken ground on the fieldhouse project which will add 43,000 sqft facility and 2500 seats for 2008.

CoastalFan2005
March 16th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Brooks Stadium: 7,322
Seibert: 6,700

CCU has just broken ground on the fieldhouse project which will add 43,000 sqft and 2500 seats for 2008.

In addition - CCU frequently exceeds 100% capacity at our home games. The Furman game drew over 10,000 fans. South Carolina State drew a similar number.

I believe CCU is at the tops in the nation in terms of attendance by capacity quite frequently.

chattanoogamocs
March 17th, 2007, 02:22 AM
it was a rhetorical question. xrolleyesx

rokamortis
March 17th, 2007, 05:08 AM
xarguex

chantster
March 17th, 2007, 05:50 AM

One of the top stories in the Birmingham News today...
http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1174033062163240.xml&coll=2

BTW...nobody from Coastal pounded on Seibert Stadium, or Samford.

And when was the last time Mocs or Samford made the playoffs??

SoCon48
March 17th, 2007, 07:20 AM
In addition - CCU frequently exceeds 100% capacity at our home games. The Furman game drew over 10,000 fans. South Carolina State drew a similar number.

I believe CCU is at the tops in the nation in terms of attendance by capacity quite frequently.

Take out a few seats and you could really dominate that stat.xrolleyesx

SoCon48
March 17th, 2007, 07:28 AM
The thing to remember is the SoCon schools UNANIMOUSLY voted Samford into the league. All of these schools felt that Samford was the best fit for the conference, or they wouldn't have voted for it. Whether we agree with the move, or not, the people making decisions at each school thought this was the best way to go.

If we could attract certain schools, there wouldn't be that criticsm.
ASU and WCU had just left NAIA only a couple years prior. Their criticism was justified at the time. Part of the criticsm, too, came from Richmond W&M not wanting any more larger public schools. Although Bill and Marion is public, they fancied themselves as exclusive private-like. Too, Root and Co didn't want to travel that far to play us. it's a hike from the Norfolk area, especially in those minimal travel budget days. Too, at the time, we had no name recognition in that area.
In the end, we have certainly outshone both of those on the athletic fields. Can't see Samford ever doing that except in a couple non-revs or one good year out of a decade in the majors.. Of course they will upset us and some front runners from time to time, but still the pattern is set.

SoCon48
March 17th, 2007, 07:33 AM

Mr C, how many of those unanimous votes were cast simply because:

1. Hell we had to add someone sometime
2. In the interest of harmony and preventing bad feelings
3. It was going thru anyway, why waste our breath with dissent
4. Out of stupidity and rose colored glasses.

I don't want to hear one stinking AD moaning about increased travel costs in the budgets as they beg for more $$. Fuel and hotel rates are going up consistently and we add a 2900 student school 9 hours away. Geez.
If we were a business expanding into such a distant small market, heads would roll.

SoCon48
March 17th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Another strikingly intelligent post, JCline. xrolleyesx

Like we said to the earlier posters who made these accusations against CCU - provide some proof. Break from your MO for once and back up your words with facts. xflaggedx

Are you posting from a river in Africa by any chance?

Umm, the proof is all around!! Open your peepers for a change.

Damn, dude, just look at your average SAT scores. They are slowly creeping up, but are very Gardner-Webb like. Heck, you finally crossed the 1,000 mark only a very few years ago. Even some of the publics in the SoCon are creeping up on 1200 and the Furmans, Davidsons, Woffords and Elons are well past that range. Well, with the exception of Elon who is in the mid to high 1100's. Your h.s. class ranks are humorous. Only about 10% of your freshmen were in the top 10th of their senior class.

You know, your pride in CCU is well founded overall and I'll be the first to say, it would be on my short list if I were looking at schools to attend, but high academics..it isn't.

CID1990
March 17th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Um, how in the world does The Citadel act private?

PaladinFan
March 17th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Um, how in the world does The Citadel act private?

my guess is read: not big state school = private.

CID1990
March 17th, 2007, 10:10 AM
my guess is read: not big state school = private.

I suppose so. Part of the pride at The Citadel and VMI is that we ARE public schools. You want to go to a private military (questionably) school? Call your Congressman.

CoastalFan2005
March 17th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Are you posting from a river in Africa by any chance?

Umm, the proof is all around!! Open your peepers for a change.

Damn, dude, just look at your average SAT scores. They are slowly creeping up, but are very Gardner-Webb like. Heck, you finally crossed the 1,000 mark only a very few years ago. Even some of the publics in the SoCon are creeping up on 1200 and the Furmans, Davidsons, Woffords and Elons are well past that range. Well, with the exception of Elon who is in the mid to high 1100's. Your h.s. class ranks are humorous. Only about 10% of your freshmen were in the top 10th of their senior class.

You know, your pride in CCU is well founded overall and I'll be the first to say, it would be on my short list if I were looking at schools to attend, but high academics..it isn't.

xnutsx xrolleyesx

A river in Africa? Is that supposed to insult me? xconfusedx

You do a lot of talking about CCU's academics, but you don't actually provide facts to back it up. Spitting out numbers and telling me that the "proof is all around" me isn't intelligent conversation. Until you can SHOW me where you're getting your information from - you're talking out of your arse (which seems to be something you do on a regular basis when it comes to CCU).

Every time there's a legit discussion thread that even contains "CCU" in it once - you feel the need to open your mouth and at some point say something negative (that also happens to be completely unfounded) about us. You and I have been arguing on this board for about a year and a half now - and consistently (when it comes to the topic of CCU), you come out looking more like a troll than a person who actually knows what they're talking about.

...but high academics..it isn't.

xrolleyesx xreadx xoopsx

NOBODY IS CLAIMING THAT CCU IS A STELLAR ACADEMIC PERFORMER. If you knew how to read, you'd have caught that by now. What we HAVE been saying is that our academics are not as bad as public opinion would have everybody believe. You obviously can't discern that, even though I'm pretty sure at least one of my previous posts in this thread states it plain as day.

CoastalFan2005
March 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Then why even ask it? xcoffeex

CoastalFan2005
March 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM
...I'm simply trying to point out to our Citadel friend that people tend to give CCU a far worse rep for their academics than it probably deserves. People do that a lot - and I'm just trying to point out that we're not as terrible as popular opinion would hold. ... again, just trying my best to begin to dispel the belief that our academics are as terrible as some would say. :)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=461075&postcount=61

xreadx = :)

Eyes of Old Main
March 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I realize the president of a school is the ultimate decision maker and that they voted 100% for Samford's inclusion, but I wonder if that choice was based on academics and location, or also on something we don't know yet? I wonder what the votes of the athletic directors would have been?

All that being said, Samford is in and we'll see what happens.

OL FU
March 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM

It is my understanding the Citadel votes along with the privates generally

dbackjon
March 17th, 2007, 02:26 PM
It is my understanding the Citadel votes along with the privates generally

From what many have said on this board, including Citadel grads, that is true - hence my quote of Citadel as being a public that acts like a private.

Maroons
March 17th, 2007, 03:42 PM
It's the OVC! They suck from top to bottom with the exceptions of EKU (Hate to say that) and Jacksonville St.

A complement from a Tops fan? (looks around nervously) Something can't be right!

chattanoogamocs
March 17th, 2007, 06:56 PM
BTW...nobody from Coastal pounded on Seibert Stadium, or Samford.

And when was the last time Mocs or Samford made the playoffs??

Dude, take a pill...and get the chip off your shoulder (btw...the Mocs have been to as many playoffs games as CCU has).

I will speak slowly so you will understand...

I did not say anything negative about CCU, I did not say that CCU fans were pounding on Samford's stadium.

...I merely pointed out that all of a sudden some fans are pounding on the size of Samford's stadium and suddenly extolling the virtues CCU...when in fact, CCU's stadium isn't much larger (note: someone needs to tell CCU their website still says Brooks is 6,408).

There now, that wasn't too hard to understand was it?

Personally, I have no problems with CCU and have never said anything bad about the school...but take another slap like that I can be easily persuaded to change my mind...and I would have no problem debating the history of Chattanooga football vs Coastal Carolina football.

chattanoogamocs
March 17th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Then why even ask it? xcoffeex

Because I was trying to make a point to those who bash Samford's stadium and extol CCU's when in fact they are about the same size.

So what, are you guys trying to give more fuel those who say CCU grads aren't smart? ;)

CoastalFan2005
March 17th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Because I was trying to make a point to those who bash Samford's stadium and extol CCU's when in fact they are about the same size.

So what, are you guys trying to give more fuel those who say CCU grads aren't smart? ;)

No - I was really trying to point out that it's hard to figure out what is and what is not rhetorical over the internet (especially without smileys). xnodx ;)

I think that maybe the reason people are "extolling" CCU so much is because we've made it clear that we have a definite timetable to make "x" improvements to both our football stadium and our basketball facilities (a list including some things that have already gotten underway). Has Samford done this (I honestly don't know, someone please answer)?

xpeacex

chantster
March 17th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Dude, take a pill...and get the chip off your shoulder (btw...the Mocs have been to as many playoffs games as CCU has).

I will speak slowly so you will understand...

I did not say anything negative about CCU, I did not say that CCU fans were pounding on Samford's stadium.

...I merely pointed out that all of a sudden some fans are pounding on the size of Samford's stadium and suddenly extolling the virtues CCU...when in fact, CCU's stadium isn't much larger (note: someone needs to tell CCU their website still says Brooks is 6,408).

There now, that wasn't too hard to understand was it?

Personally, I have no problems with CCU and have never said anything bad about the school...but take another slap like that I can be easily persuaded to change my mind...and I would have no problem debating the history of Chattanooga football vs Coastal Carolina football.

Take a pill? xlolx xlolx

Okay, Festus. Don't get your blue and gold panties in a wad.

I don't have a comprehension problem. Maybe you do. I asked you when was the last time UTC or Samford was in the playoffs. NOT how many times.

If that was a slap, you are awfully thin skinned. Take it down a notch, Trigger. :D

chattanoogamocs
March 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Take a pill? xlolx xlolx

Okay, Festus. Don't get your blue and gold panties in a wad.

I don't have a comprehension problem. Maybe you do. I asked you when was the last time UTC or Samford was in the playoffs. NOT how many times.

If that was a slap, you are awfully thin skinned. Take it down a notch, Trigger. :D

Chattanooga had nothing to do with the conversation...you were just trying to talk smack because you thought I had made fun of your school.

My comprehension is fine...you made your little smack, I made mine.

catdaddy2402
March 17th, 2007, 10:30 PM

Samford's first football game was in 1902.
CCU's was in 2003.
Can you point out which program has the higher growth potential?

CID1990
March 18th, 2007, 07:52 AM
The Citadel's voting record in the SoCon probably has a lot more to do with size than with whether anyone is private or not. For that matter, this is likely the same reason that the other small private schools vote the way they do. If The Citadel, Wofford, Furman, Elon and the rest are trying to keep the SoCon from getting the bigger schools, then I would have to agree with that. Nothing good could come from having half the conference composed of schools looking to potentially move up to FBS.

chattanoogamocs
March 19th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Samford's first football game was in 1902.
CCU's was in 2003.
Can you point out which program has the higher growth potential?

and again...I will state again I was not making an issue of CCU...I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH CCU...I was simply pointing out that hypocritical nature of the comment about stadium size.

And for those wondering about Samford in the playoffs, yeah, apparently it's been 15 years (the last in 1992)...but when they went in 1991 they made the semifinals (beating UNH and JMU...both on the road) before losing on the road 10-0 to eventual national champion Youngstown State.