PDA

View Full Version : SoCon - Week #1 games

Pages : [1] 2

The Cats
August 16th, 2018, 08:34 AM
We get a bonus for week #1, with a couple of early games.....

8-30-18
Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga
Shorter @ Samford

9-1-18
Furman @ Clemson
Newberry @ Western Carolina
The Citadel @ Wofford
VMI @ Toledo
Mercer @ Memphis
Mars Hill @ ETSU

Week #1 Power rankings
Samford
Furman
Western Carolina
Mercer
Wofford
The Citadel
Chattanooga
ETSU
VMI

-----------------------------------------

my picks in bold
8-30-18
Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga - Mocs by 17
Shorter @ Samford - Dogs by 35
9-1-18
Furman @ Clemson - Tigers by 28
Newberry @ Western Carolina - Cats by 35
The Citadel @ Wofford - Terriers by 17
VMI @ Toledo - Rockets by 35
Mercer @ Memphis - Tigers by 21
Mars Hill @ ETSU - Bucs by 28

tenNesseeCat
August 16th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Power Guess:
Samford
Furman
Wofford
WCU
Mercer
The Citadel
UTC
ETSU
VMI

Picks:
Tenn. Tech @ UTC - 14 - UTC has more on their roster and already a year in for Arth, while Tech is starting over. PLEASE don't start the SoCon OOC off with a bad loss here. Please don't even let it be as close as two scores.
Shorter @ Samford - 28+
Furman @ Clemson - 28+ - Never really close, except for the first few minutes.
Newberry @ WCU - 28+
The Citadel @ Wofford - 1 - Let's start the SoCon off on the right foot...UPSET!!!
VMI @ Toledo - 28+
Mercer @ Memphis - 24 - The Bears D give the new QB at Memphis a lil trouble early.
Mars Hill @ ETSU - 24

PaladinFan
August 16th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Not completely sure how to view the Clemson game. The Paladins have historically been pretty tough against FBS squads, though Clemson isn't your average FBS squad. They might be one of the 4 or 5 teams that has a legitimate shot at the national title.

Best case for Furman is the same as always - run the ball, shorten the game, limit turnovers, force a few, and duck the haymakers. Maybe the Tigers will be looking down at the next week's road contest against Texas A&M.

Reign of Terrier
August 16th, 2018, 09:32 AM
No power rankings this week: I'll wait until a month into the season before I do that.

Chattanooga
Samford
Clemson
Western
Wofford (Game of the week, by no measure is either outcome an upset IMO)
Toledo
Memphis
ETSU

bonarae
August 16th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Chattanooga
Samford
Clemson
WCU
Wofford
Toledo
Memphis
ETSU

All home teams win.

JSUSoutherner
August 16th, 2018, 02:59 PM
TTU- not entirely trolling
Samford
Clemson
WCU
ElCid
Toledo
Memphis
ETSU

FUBeAR
August 16th, 2018, 03:17 PM
8-30-18
Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga - Mocs show off a revamped rushing attack & a strong defense that shoots down the Eagles. Final Score (revised as I am, now, not so sure about that “strong defense”): Mocs 31- Eagles 27
Shorter @ Samford - Bullpups lead by 3 or 4 scores in the 1st quarter, allow #8 to run up some stats in the 2nd quarter & go into the break leading 56-0. But, ONLY because Shorter’s new Head Coach is part of the (extended) Samford Football Family, Hodges and most of the Samford O ‘skill players’ Starters only play 1 series in the 2nd half. Among many others, FR QB Hatcher makes his college debut in the 2nd half. Samford continues to pull away, but concedes the shutout. Final score: Bullpups 77 - Hawks 7

9-1-18
Furman @ Clemson - I’m not exactly sure how, but Coach Hendrix finds a way to eke out Furman’s 1st victory over Clemson in 82 years after 30 consecutive losses to the hated Clempscum Tiggers. Final Score: Paladins 24 - Tiggers 23

Newberry @ Western Carolina - Newberry typically has a tough Team, but are usually outmanned in their contests vs. FCS Teams. I expect WCU’s ‘skill players’ and experienced OLine to dominate the Wolves’ D, but WCU will be breaking in a host of inexperienced players on D. WCU leads 35-27 at half, but pulls away in the 2nd. Final Score: Catamounts 55 - Wolves 41

The Citadel @ Wofford (changed my mind - goin' with the bellhops to ruin the beginning of the Conklin era) - Actually, no friggin’ idea how this game will play out. Both Teams will play HARD! Final Score: bellhops 15 - anklebiters 12

VMI @ Toledo - Rockets blast off! Final Score: Rockets 84 - Keydets 0

Mercer @ Memphis - Tiggers’ previously high octane O falters with a new QB, new OC, and facing an excellent, experienced, ball-hawking Bears’ D, which, reminiscent of last year’s Auburn game, forces 4 turnovers. Memphis D is unaccustomed to needing to really stop anyone, particularly a strong rushing attack. Mercer’s R-FR 5-8, 233 RB, Tyray Devezin pounds the middle of the Memphis D behind an improved Mercer O-Line. He finishes the game with 30 carries for 100 yards & 2 TD’s. Tee Mitchell complements the inside game with his ability to find a crack on outside zone/stretch plays as well as on swing/screen passes. Mitchell has 20 ‘touches’ for 150 yards & 2 TD’s. Final Score: Bears 31 - Tigers 24 (Lions DNP)

Mars Hill @ ETSU - MountainPirates commandeer aliens’ ship & sail away. Final Score: Buccaneers 35 LittleGreenMen 14

Week #1 Power rankings
Furman
Mercer
Samford
Wofford
Chattanooga
Western Carolina
ETSU
The Citadel
VMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O8gTIr4lys

Catamount87
August 16th, 2018, 03:19 PM
My picks in BOLD

8-30-18
Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga: Let's call this the Battle of the 2017 Beatin's - The Mocs start 2018 off on an Awesome foot
Shorter @ Samford: The dogs do a lot of Spiking.

9-1-18
Furman @ Clemson: The Tiger does some mauling
Newberry @ Western Carolina: Paws wolfs down some berries with his dinner feast
The Citadel @ Wofford: Upset of the week, the coastal pups have a louder bark in the end
VMI @ Toledo: There's a rocket launch in Ohio
Mercer @ Memphis: Pouncer turns Toby into Tot, but not without a fight
Mars Hill @ ETSU: Buckie gets himself a cat pelt

FUBeAR
August 16th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Mercer @ Memphis: ...turns Toby into Tot

I’m impressed. Humor AND research. Nice work 87!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFIRgbA1IMkxlolx:Dxlolx:D

Milktruck74
August 16th, 2018, 06:32 PM
It's a good week to be at home!!!!

8-30-18
Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga
Shorter @ Samford

9-1-18
Furman @ Clemson
The Citadel @ Wofford
VMI @ Toledo
Mercer @ Memphis
Mars Hill @ ETSU

Week #1 Power rankings
Furman
Samford
Wofford
Western Carolina
Chattanooga*
Mercer
The Citadel
ETSU
VMI

* This may be more Heart than head, but I can't believe theMocs had 3-8 talent last season. I think Coach Arth pulls it together.

PaladinFan
August 16th, 2018, 07:33 PM
My overreaction of the week would be that if UTC or Wofford lose, it might be time to worry. Maybe not firmly hit the panic button, but put that button on notice.

FUBeAR
August 16th, 2018, 08:01 PM
My overreaction of the week would be that if UTC or Wofford lose, it might be time to worry. Maybe not firmly hit the panic button, but put that button on notice.Yes - If a heavily-favored, nationally-ranked Wofford Team loses to a big underdog, unranked, picked-to-finish-near-the-bottom-of-the-SoCon CIT Team in the 1st game...at home...Post-Mike-Ayers-Era, they will get almost no 'credit' (and almost no fans) for (probably) beating VMI at home the following week. Then they are on the road for 4 straight weeks...3 of those which they very well could lose. So...if they are then 2-4/1-3 in the SoCon, when they finally return home near the end of October...I think there may be a bigger crowd watching basketball practice in the Richardson (if it's still called that by then) Center than watching the ETSU game in Gibbs Stadium.

A lot riding on Game 1 for the PorchYappers, IMO.

FUBeAR
August 16th, 2018, 08:37 PM
Wofford (Game of the week, by no measure is either outcome an upset IMO)

The wise guys at LiveLines disagree with your assessment...They see the LittleDogs coasting to a 2 score win - 29-19

The Citadel at Wofford - Saturday, September 1, 2018 6:00 PM (29-19 Terriers)

The Citadel
+10
Over 48

Here are the rest of their SoCon Week 1 'evaluations'...

Shorter at Samford - Thursday, August 30, 2018 12:00 PM (51-5 or so...Bulldogs)

Shorter
+45½
Over 55½

Tennessee Tech at Chattanooga - Thursday, August 30, 2018 7:00 PM (31-17 or so...Mocs)

Tennessee Tech
+13½
Over 47½

Newberry at Western Carolina - Saturday, September 1, 2018 6:00 PM (39-18 or so...Catamounts)

Newberry
+21½
Over 57

Furman at Clemson - Saturday, September 1, 2018 12:20 PM (51-3 or so...Tigers)

Furman
+48
Over 55

VMI at Toledo - Saturday, September 1, 2018 7:00 PM (49-3 or so...Rockets)

VMI
+45½
Over 53

Mercer at Memphis - Saturday, September 1, 2018 7:00 PM (46-20 or so...Tigers)

Mercer
+26
Over 65½

Nothing posted (that I saw) for Mars Hill @ ETSU (maybe they don't handicap interplanetary match-ups)

NOTE: Yes, YT, I know that's not how this (above) works...exactly, but I enjoy thinking of it this way. You're not out to steal a small bit of joy from an old man, are you?

Milktruck74
August 17th, 2018, 07:34 AM
My overreaction of the week would be that if UTC or Wofford lose, it might be time to worry. Maybe not firmly hit the panic button, but put that button on notice.

I think you are correct in both cases. As stated above, it would be a long 6 weeks for Wofford, if they start with a loss. As far as UTC goes....I hate to call the first game of the season a statement game, but it is time for the Mocs to stand up and show the fans that last year was a fluke, and they are back and ready to play. Covering the spread (plus a little extra) would show that the Mocs are not the 3-8 team that showed up last year. and would continue the momentum from last season....I think the Mocs have a very outside shot at the playoffs, but they have to finish 7-4 and they have to win the first 3 games to get there....a 21 point win in week one sets up some swagger to head into Charleston the next week. I do think the first week will tell us a bunch about how the conference will shake out.

JSUSoutherner
August 17th, 2018, 07:44 AM
I think you are correct in both cases. As stated above, it would be a long 6 weeks for Wofford, if they start with a loss. As far as UTC goes....I hate to call the first game of the season a statement game, but it is time for the Mocs to stand up and show the fans that last year was a fluke, and they are back and ready to play. Covering the spread (plus a little extra) would show that the Mocs are not the 3-8 team that showed up last year. and would continue the momentum from last season....I think the Mocs have a very outside shot at the playoffs, but they have to finish 7-4 and they have to win the first 3 games to get there....a 21 point win in week one sets up some swagger to head into Charleston the next week. I do think the first week will tell us a bunch about how the conference will shake out.

Are you guys starting Copeland this year?

Catamount87
August 17th, 2018, 07:48 AM
I’m impressed. Humor AND research. Nice work 87!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFIRgbA1IMkxlolx:Dxlolx:D

You know how summer time gets around here. Some levity was definitely in order and I loved that video reply. So back at ya, well done!

PaladinFan
August 17th, 2018, 08:01 AM

I don't think there was any serious dispute last season that Wofford rode their defense much of last season. Sitting in the preseason, I am assuming that Wofford is going to have to lean heavily on that defense yet again in 2018.

I think the first game will tell us a lot about Wofford. Conklin comes with a defensive pedigree, but has a young and largely inexperienced staff on that side of the ball. The Citadel is not expected to be an offensive juggernaut, but the run an atypical system built on in-game adjustments. How Wofford's staff is able to adapt to constantly changing Bulldog blocking schemes will be something to closely follow.

Milktruck74
August 17th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Are you guys starting Copeland this year?

Copeland is taking the season off....basically the same thing he did in his classes last spring!!!! He was actually 3rd on the Depth Chart in the spring, so it wasn't a major loss, but hopefully he will get his academics back on track and be part of the 2019 season.

My guys at practice tell me there is a two way battle between Tiano and James, with Tiano currently having a slight edge. James has a CANNON of an arm and can drop it in a bucket from 50 yards...but Tiano has a better grasp on running the Offense.

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2018, 08:46 AM
I don't think there was any serious dispute last season that Wofford rode their defense much of last season. Sitting in the preseason, I am assuming that Wofford is going to have to lean heavily on that defense yet again in 2018.

I think the first game will tell us a lot about Wofford. Conklin comes with a defensive pedigree, but has a young and largely inexperienced staff on that side of the ball. The Citadel is not expected to be an offensive juggernaut, but the run an atypical system built on in-game adjustments. How Wofford's staff is able to adapt to constantly changing Bulldog blocking schemes will be something to closely follow.Just noted that it’s a 6:00 PM Kickoff. As I’m attending FU @ Clemson, which kicks off at 12:20, I could start the 2018 Regular Season as I ended 2017’s...pulling a fun double...but, alas, Mrs. FUBeAR (UGa Alumna) has never been to a game in Death Valley...so she will be ‘in tow.’ She was a ‘trooper’ to attend the Mercer @ Bama & FU @ Sammy doubleheader last year, but I don’t think I can talk her into attending the CIT @ Woffy game after FU@CU without a MAJOR inducement.

Any suggestions? Offers?

Probably have to figure out how to RACE back to ATL to watch on whatever platform is broadcasting it. Maybe after Furman clinches the upset by the end of the 3rd quarter, I can duck out of TigerTown early. That’s my plan.

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Copeland...was actually 3rd on the Depth Chart in the spring, so it wasn't a major lossDon’t total up those gamecocks too quickly, MT.

Wasn’t he also 3rd on the depth chart at the beginning of last season...and ended up starting over 1/2 of the Mocs’ games?

Who is #3 now? Caldwell or Bell?

JSUSoutherner
August 17th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Copeland is taking the season off....basically the same thing he did in his classes last spring!!!! He was actually 3rd on the Depth Chart in the spring, so it wasn't a major loss, but hopefully he will get his academics back on track and be part of the 2019 season.

My guys at practice tell me there is a two way battle between Tiano and James, with Tiano currently having a slight edge. James has a CANNON of an arm and can drop it in a bucket from 50 yards...but Tiano has a better grasp on running the Offense.

Copeland may have been third string but I thought he was world's better than Tiano. Tiano is umm.... Well, uh, not great.

Mocs123
August 17th, 2018, 09:41 AM
I agree Tiano looked sub par last season. He looked indecisive at first and then looked shell shocked after taking so many hits behind our porous line. I have hopes he will be more decisive and confident behind a improved line.

James has an elite arm. Whether or not that translates to on the field success or not, I don’t know.

Copeland was decisive, calm, and in command last year but he did have faults. I thought his arm strength was average at best and he tended to stare down receivers. He will get better, and I think losing him hurt, but hopefully won’t be a killer.

We we need to fix our o line and running game, which will let us win without a stud QB.

We we only have two scholarship QBs eligible this season so our line better be improved.

JSUSoutherner
August 17th, 2018, 09:56 AM
I agree Tiano looked sub par last season. He looked indecisive at first and then looked shell shocked after taking so many hits behind our porous line. I have hopes he will be more decisive and confident behind a improved line.

James has an elite arm. Whether or not that translates to on the field success or not, I don’t know.

Copeland was decisive, calm, and in command last year but he did have faults. I thought his arm strength was average at best and he tended to stare down receivers. He will get better, and I think losing him hurt, but hopefully won’t be a killer.

We we need to fix our o line and running game, which will let us win without a stud QB.

We we only have two scholarship QBs eligible this season so our line better be improved.

I agree. Getting the offensive line back to what it used to be will help out worlds. Tiano might not have looked great, but not much you can really do when you're on your back most of the time. You guys need another Derrick Crane.

PaladinFan
August 17th, 2018, 09:59 AM

Copeland hurts insofar as UTC spent a lot of snaps playing him last season in a losing campaign. I'm sure if the Mocs knew he wouldn't be available for 2018, they'd have just played Tiano.

Milktruck74
August 17th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Don’t total up those gamecocks too quickly, MT.

Wasn’t he also 3rd on the depth chart at the beginning of last season...and ended up starting over 1/2 of the Mocs’ games?

Who is #3 now? Caldwell or Bell?

He started because Our OLine kept letting guys T-Off on our QBs....He got the nod due to injuries. I'm not sure who our #3 is.....but I pray we never have to use them this year!!! We went through enough crap at the QB position last year to last a few seasons!!!!

While we have 4 QBs available, only Tiano and James are scholarship players. I've heard good things about Bell, but he is a Freshman....that says all you need to know. I think if it comes down to it, Caldwell would be 3....Maybe Bell will get a few snaps with the new 4 game rule. Or maybe we just run the old Notre Dame 4 man box and don't really worry about a QB. I bet it would be a little confusing for defenses.

Milktruck74
August 17th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Copeland hurts insofar as UTC spent a lot of snaps playing him last season in a losing campaign. I'm sure if the Mocs knew he wouldn't be available for 2018, they'd have just played Tiano.

Tiano was injured during that time. Copeland and Caldwell were the only options. We were even practicing a WR that played QB in HS....it was a rough season at the QB spot.

PaladinFan
August 17th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Tiano was injured during that time. Copeland and Caldwell were the only options. We were even practicing a WR that played QB in HS....it was a rough season at the QB spot.

I can commiserate. I think it was 2013 that Furman was down to their 4th string walkons at QB.

Milktruck74
August 17th, 2018, 10:35 AM
I agree. Getting the offensive line back to what it used to be will help out worlds. Tiano might not have looked great, but not much you can really do when you're on your back most of the time. You guys need another Derrick Crane.

Derrick was a unique talent, kids like that don't come around every day. I'm pretty excited to see what Price (from EMCC) will do. If he lives up to the hype, he is going to be special...but you never know with Juco Kids. I hear he is a good kid, takes care of his academics, works hard, respectful....all indications is he will be solid...but....time will tell. Phil Steele named 3 of our OL to the All So-Con team (two 2nds and a 3rd) so we should see improvement on the OL, plus McClendon Curtis R-Fr is now a lean 320 (down 40 from HS) and looking to get in the mix. My friends in the department say the Line was embarrassed last season, and they committed to get better...hit the weight room and look to be a very different unit. Hungry!!!!

JSUSoutherner
August 17th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Derrick was a unique talent, kids like that don't come around every day. I'm pretty excited to see what Price (from EMCC) will do. If he lives up to the hype, he is going to be special...but you never know with Juco Kids. I hear he is a good kid, takes care of his academics, works hard, respectful....all indications is he will be solid...but....time will tell. Phil Steele named 3 of our OL to the All So-Con team (two 2nds and a 3rd) so we should see improvement on the OL, plus McClendon Curtis R-Fr is now a lean 320 (down 40 from HS) and looking to get in the mix. My friends in the department say the Line was embarrassed last season, and they committed to get better...hit the weight room and look to be a very different unit. Hungry!!!!

I hope you guys win the SoCon. Right after you lose to TTU and UTM.

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Derrick was a unique talent, kids like that don't come around every day. I'm pretty excited to see what Price (from EMCC) will do. If he lives up to the hype, he is going to be special...but you never know with Juco Kids. I hear he is a good kid, takes care of his academics, works hard, respectful....all indications is he will be solid...but....time will tell. Phil Steele named 3 of our OL to the All So-Con team (two 2nds and a 3rd) so we should see improvement on the OL, plus McClendon Curtis R-Fr is now a lean 320 (down 40 from HS) and looking to get in the mix.

To be candid, Mr. Steele also named Chatt’s TE, Bailey Lenoir, as the 1st Team All SoCon TE...which would be great...except he’s not on the Mocs roster.

On Price, I went to watch his EMCC highlight video, where he scored like 985 TD’s in JUCO ball, hoping to see an undisciplined RB, just walking into the end zone, playing against overmatched rag-tag defenses. Um....NO....he looked GREAT! Barring injury and/or continued poor performance from the Chatt OL, I think he will be an outstanding RB in the SoCon this year...dammit!

Milktruck74
August 17th, 2018, 12:02 PM
To be candid, Mr. Steele also named Chatt’s TE, Bailey Lenoir, as the 1st Team All SoCon TE...which would be great...except he’s not on the Mocs roster.

On Price, I went to watch his EMCC highlight video, where he scored like 985 TD’s in JUCO ball, hoping to see an undisciplined RB, just walking into the end zone, playing against overmatched rag-tag defenses. Um....NO....he looked GREAT! Barring injury and/or continued poor performance from the Chatt OL, I think he will be an outstanding RB in the SoCon this year...dammit!

Steele did...and I didn't include him in the three....

Price looks solid...We had NOBODY that could move the ball last year. Much of that fell at the feet of the OL, but it was a vicious cycle....we couldn't soften the throw with the run, and defenses didn't have to worry about the toss because the QBs had no time, which made it more difficult to run....which made it more difficult to throw....bad cycle. Price can open things on his own...which will soften the run possibilities for Trotter....which will force Defenses to be more honest in their play.

Mocs123
August 17th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Tyrell Price looks to be a Derrick Craine or Keon Williams style back and have high hopes that he will have a 1000 yard season

I hear great things about Alex Trotter too, who is finally healthy after 3 seasons of injuries

SU DOG
August 17th, 2018, 12:39 PM
I hope you guys win the SoCon. Right after you lose to TTU and UTM.

I have to assume that was a tongue-in-cheek comment. LOL! I do see the OVC improving, but again, this year, it will be dominated by the Yardbirds. ANY SoCon team that loses to both of those 2 will be NO threat in this conference.

JSUSoutherner
August 17th, 2018, 12:50 PM
I have to assume that was a tongue-in-cheek comment. LOL! I do see the OVC improving, but again, this year, it will be dominated by the Yardbirds. ANY SoCon team that loses to both of those 2 will be NO threat in this conference.
Well I mean, UTM did eat their lunch last year. In Finley.

SU DOG
August 17th, 2018, 01:07 PM
And UTC beat us in Seibert for the umpteenth straight year, after we were so generous with turnovers.:( Still, UTC wasn't a threat to win the SoCon. Be careful what you wish for - there I've said it for everybody, but I still hope we meet JSU in the Playoffs this year. To me, that would be a good measuring stick for us against a team that owned us for a decade or more. In watching last year, it would have been pretty even, IMO. And NO, the last meeting(playoff) did not see even a half healthy SU team play. If it was up to me, JSU would be a home-and-home every year. Atrocities that happened under Captain Jack may prevent that from ever happening, however, but I hope not.

Mocs123
August 17th, 2018, 01:09 PM
UTM has done that twice in Finley. I get the feeling that Jason Simpson is mad he didn’t get the head coaching job twice. Of course, I think he has done a decent job at UTM.

I think JSU wins the OVC again easily but Will Healy and APU should again (and then I think he leaves for a bigger job). I have to say that I am beyond impressed with what he has done there. Austin Peay was BAD.

JSUSoutherner
August 17th, 2018, 01:48 PM
UTM has done that twice in Finley. I get the feeling that Jason Simpson is mad he didn’t get the head coaching job twice. Of course, I think he has done a decent job at UTM.

I think JSU wins the OVC again easily but Will Healy and APU should again (and then I think he leaves for a bigger job). I have to say that I am beyond impressed with what he has done there. Austin Peay was BAD.

I hope they can hold on to Healy. Having two good teams in the OVC will only help the conference as a whole. Jason Simpson always seems to be knocking on the door but they need to finish out games.

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Having watched the Govs CLOSELY against Mercer for 3 years in a row (2014-2016), you are right...they were BAD...BUT...their Players weren’t bad at all. They had some excellent athletes there in those years, but they may have been the most poorly Coached Football Team I’ve ever seen...including 100 lb. Rec Ball. I was able to access all of their games in ‘14 & ‘15 with “Coaches Views” videos and was just aghast at how unsound they were...in almost every way on both sides of the ball & on special teams. Complete Fuster Cluck!

Although it sure looked like a 20-dumpster inferno, I think Coach Healy actually stepped into a pretty good situation and he has done a great job making the most of it.

PaladinFan
August 17th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Having watched the Govs CLOSELY against Mercer for 3 years in a row (2014-2016), you are right...they were BAD...BUT...their Players weren’t bad at all. They had some excellent athletes there in those years, but they may have been the most poorly Coached Football Team I’ve ever seen...including 100 lb. Rec Ball. I was able to access all of their games in ‘14 & ‘15 with “Coaches Views” videos and was just aghast at how unsound they were...in almost every way on both sides of the ball & on special teams. Complete Fuster Cluck!

Although it sure looked like a 20-dumpster inferno, I think Coach Healy actually stepped into a pretty good situation and he has done a great job making the most of it.

Wait. Good coaches and take good players and make a good team?

Austin Peay is probably Exhibit A. Furman might be Exhibit B.

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Wait. Good coaches and take good players and make a good team?

Austin Peay is probably Exhibit A. Furman might be Exhibit B.

Thought about that.
Didn’t & wouldn’t say it.
But you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbackjon
August 17th, 2018, 03:24 PM
8-30-18
Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga
Shorter @ Samford

9-1-18
Furman @ Clemson
The Citadel @ Wofford
VMI @ Toledo
Mercer @ Memphis
Mars Hill @ ETSU

Mocs123
August 17th, 2018, 03:45 PM
8-30-18
Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga by 14
Shorter @ Samford by as many as they want

9-1-18
Furman @ Clemson by 35
Newberry @ Western Carolina by 24
The Citadel @ Wofford by 10
VMI @ Toledo by as many as they want
Mercer @ Memphis by 30
Mars Hill @ ETSU by 21

GreenGlasses
August 18th, 2018, 11:15 AM
* This may be more Heart than head, but I can't believe theMocs had 3-8 talent last season. I think Coach Arth pulls it together.

You hired a no name unproven DIII coach. You went Cheap and got burned. It took Huseman 6 years to make the playoffs and that was done after Appy and GA Southern left.

Mocs123
August 18th, 2018, 11:44 AM
You hired a no name unproven DIII coach. You went Cheap and got burned. It took Huseman 6 years to make the playoffs and that was done after Appy and GA Southern left.

The irony of it is we didn't go cheap. Arth is paid pretty well, actually In fact, he is making more than Huesman ever did. Of course that probably was really dumb to pay a D3 coach as much as a proven D1 coach. From all reports Arth had one heck of an interview, and Blackburn (our AD at the time) fell hook line and sinker. I am not saying that Arth may not turn out to be a good coach - he may, but I do think we paid handsomely for a riskier candidate.

Huesman did a fantastic job at Chattanooga. He took at team that was 1-11 and hadn't had any sort of winning tradition in over 30 years and built a winner. To put it this way, we were another bad hire away from dropping football when we hired Huesman. I think fans would have taken a middle of the SoCon pack team year in and year and and been happy. Now, expectations are high, and fans want (and expect) to be back in the playoffs. He changed the culture in Chattanooga.

Milktruck74
August 19th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Coach Arth is Straight out of Central Casting. If Disney did a film about a FB coach, they would Hire TA to play that guy. He is sharp looking, speaks very well and can sell the program. UTC has several project they would like to complete that require funding, and TA is a great FACE to get those local dollars....now, he has to win game too, to get it done. Just imagine him sitting across from somebody's mom...he can convince them to come to Chattanooga. He should be able to pull in the talent, which looking at his 2nd class, is pretty evident, so the next step is to translate that to the left column of the Sunday paper. Huesman left a mess, and TA had to deal with it, I think things turn around this season.

Scrappy94
August 19th, 2018, 07:55 PM
8-30-18
Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga - Mocs by 21
Shorter @ Samford - Bulldogs by 35+

9-1-18
Furman @ Clemson - Tigers by 35+
Newberry @ Western Carolina - Catamounts by 24
The Citadel @ Wofford - Terriers by 10
VMI @ Toledo - Rockets by 35+
Mercer @ Memphis - Tigers by 35+
Mars Hill @ ETSU - Buccaneers by 20

longtimemocfan
August 20th, 2018, 09:31 AM
You hired a no name unproven DIII coach. You went Cheap and got burned. It took Huseman 6 years to make the playoffs and that was done after Appy and GA Southern left.Unproven on the FCS level yes, but not Dlll and he has put several coaches in the FBS level and at least one on the pro level. Huesman did do a great job of transcending a dormant program into a winner. He did have his flaws. He was very poor in one score games, he never won a game on the road against a top ten team and never won a road playoff game. Arth did beat a top ten team on the road in his 1st year. Is the jury still out on Arth ? Yes, but you can't judge a coach on what he does after one season.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
August 20th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Added Score Predictions & some ‘narrative’ to FuBeAR’s pick selections in Post #7 of this thread... just in case anyone wants to KNOW EXACTLY how these games are going to shake out. xthumbsupx

Mocs123
August 20th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Looking back at Arth’s first year it is evident there were major setbacks that either occurred prior to his arrival (that he paid the consequences for) or that we’re beyond his control that negatively affected our record. That being said I know Chattanooga fans were extremely shocked and disappointed with last years record and I think the pressure is on for him to have a good year.

SU DOG
August 20th, 2018, 11:15 AM
And the Mocs just lost ANOTHER assistant. Coach Shelton Felton to Knoxville.

FUBeAR
August 20th, 2018, 11:33 AM
And the Mocs just lost ANOTHER assistant. Coach Shelton Felton to Knoxville.Covered in the “Camp Life” thread, but this close to Game 1, it is certainly relevant here, as well. As I posted elsewhere, Coach Shelton undoubtedly learned a lot about “loyalty” and “commitment” working for Birmingham’s own (sorta) Rush Propst, down in Colquitt County, GA in recent years, prior to his very brief stint in Chattanooga.

Chatt has already removed Shelton & posted a replacement (I guess) as OLB Coach http://gomocs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=819

So...

* OLB Coach with ABSOLUTELY NO Coaching experience
* LB (ILB’s, I guess) with no D1 Coaching experience
* CB Coach that has never been a position Coach in college (at any level)
* DL Coach with no D1 Coaching experience - EDIT: Major FUBeAR-or - Chatt’s current DL Coach has 5 year of experience Coaching DLine at the FCS level - my apologies to Coach Williams, the Mocs, and all of their Fans
* DC (and I guess he must be Coaching Safties also) with 1 year of D1 Coaching experience ... last year at Chatt.

I think only Wofford may have a less experienced Defensive Coaching Staff in all of FCS.

Mocs123
August 20th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Felton was a good recruiter so that may sting a bit. We have promoted a QC coordinator to fill his role.

Mocs123
August 20th, 2018, 12:16 PM
Covered in the “Camp Life” thread, but this close to Game 1, it is certainly relevant here, as well. As I posted elsewhere, Coach Shelton undoubtedly learned a lot about “loyalty” and “commitment” working for Birmingham’s own (sorta) Rush Propst, down in Colquitt County, GA in recent years, prior to his very brief stint in Chattanooga.

Chatt has already removed Shelton & posted a replacement (I guess) as OLB Coach http://gomocs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=819

So...

* DL Coach with no D1 Coaching experience
* DC (and I guess he must be Coaching Safties also) with 1 year of D1 Coaching experience ... last year at Chatt.

I think only Wofford may have a less experienced Defensive Coaching Staff in all of FCS.

Is that supposed to make me feel better about this season Fubear? ��

Smitty
August 20th, 2018, 12:35 PM
After getting pummeled into oblivion by UTC for the past 10+ years, you will have to excuse me for enjoying the past year and hopefully more to come...

PaladinFan
August 20th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Covered in the “Camp Life” thread, but this close to Game 1, it is certainly relevant here, as well. As I posted elsewhere, Coach Shelton undoubtedly learned a lot about “loyalty” and “commitment” working for Birmingham’s own (sorta) Rush Propst, down in Colquitt County, GA in recent years, prior to his very brief stint in Chattanooga.

So...

Furman's OC has more Tennessee state football titles than UTC has combined years of experience on their defensive coaching staff.

Mocdaddy
August 20th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Furman's OC has more Tennessee state football titles than UTC has combined years of experience on their defensive coaching staff.

That's true, but believe me that if the NFL or an SEC school offered any of your coaching staff a better offer they would be gone like a fart in a whirlwind also. Money talks!

FUBeAR
August 20th, 2018, 02:16 PM
Is that supposed to make me feel better about this season Fubear? 

Does this help...

* DL Coach - 1 year of D1 Coaching experience...on an 0-11 Team that was last or near last in their conference in almost every Defensive Stat category

* Safeties Coach - 0 years of on-the-field Coaching at any level of Football, despite a recent & curious ‘update’ in his bio (from “Video Coordinator / Offensive Quality Control” to “Assistant Secondary Coach”) that makes it appear as if he does have 1 year of such experience

* DB Coach (CB’s & I guess, oversight of Safeties also) - 1 year as a position Coach (CB’s) working ‘under’ the DC, who was the “Secondary Coach”

* OLB Coach - 3 years of D1 FCS experience, BUT all 6 years of total Coaching experience have been on a Staff of which his father was the Head Coach. That Team was 1-10 last year & this Coach’s Career record is now 27-40. His father’s Career record as a Head Coach is 37-75. (Your call if you think that matters, at all...or not)

* DC/ILB Coach - 1 year of D1 experience as a Position Coach (and DC) ... last year at Wofford.

...and, in this case, complemented by...

OL Coach - 0 years of experience Coaching a college OL at any level. 1 year of college Coaching experience - Coached TE’s as a GA at a D2 school https://goeasternathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1164&path=

In other news, to make you feel better...

* Mercer has a new CB Coach with 0 years of D1 Coaching experience (Just 1 year at a D2 that went 9-4 last year and was ranked #1 or #2 in most Defensive stat categories in their conference & 2 years as a GA at GaSou)
* Furman has a new TE Coach with 0 years of D1 Coaching experience (Just 3 years as a Student Asst. Coach at Furman)

...So, see, other staffs have some inexperience also :)

PaladinFan
August 20th, 2018, 04:25 PM

That's true, but believe me that if the NFL or an SEC school offered any of your coaching staff a better offer they would be gone like a fart in a whirlwind also. Money talks!

Realistically, every SoCon team should be hoping that big programs come in and scoop up their coaches. That means they are doing something right. Sure, stinks to lose a guy, but if you are playing at such a high level that big programs want your coaches, then that's definitely a good thing.

PaladinNation
August 20th, 2018, 04:34 PM
I believe UT has had interest and or offers to Quarles as a position coach in the past, also if I remember correctly ETSU expressed interest last year… and Quarles said no thank you. That said… your point is well taken big money talks.

Mocdaddy
August 20th, 2018, 05:26 PM
If George turned down an offer from Tennessee during the Jones era he was showing good instincts.

jayhawkdaddy
August 20th, 2018, 05:48 PM
8-30-18

Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga

Shorter @ Samford

9-1-18

Furman @ Clemson

The Citadel @ Wofford

VMI @ Toledo

Mercer @ Memphis

Mars Hill @ ETSU

Week #1 Power rankings
Furman
Samford
Wofford
Western Carolina
Chattanooga
Mercer
The Citadel
ETSU
VMI

FUBeAR
August 20th, 2018, 07:00 PM
8-30-18

Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga
Shorter @ Samford

9-1-18

Furman @ Clemson
The Citadel @ Wofford
VMI @ Toledo
Mercer @ Memphis
Mars Hill @ ETSU

Week #1 Power rankingsFurman
Samford
Wofford
Western Carolina
Chattanooga
Mercer
The Citadel
ETSU
VMIEverybody gets a trophy, except TTU?

Milktruck74
August 21st, 2018, 07:34 AM

So...

The reality is Felton didn't have much experience either....HE was hired out of a HS program to Coach OLBs. Did that for a season and was named Asst. HC for a season (basically as a title only and for recruiting purposes). So 2 years as a D1 position coach. Yeah, we replaced him with a relative unknown, but at this point in the season, do you really want to bring in whoever is left out there?or worse, a guy that would bolt on his team a week before the season kicks off? It wasn't like we replace a 10 yr veteran coach with a kid....we replaced a 2 year guy that wanted to move on with a hungry new comer.

Smitty
August 21st, 2018, 07:43 AM
8-30-18
Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga - Could be closer than what UTC wants
Shorter @ Samford

9-1-18
Furman @ Clemson
The Citadel @ Wofford
VMI @ Toledo
Mercer @ Memphis
Mars Hill @ ETSU

Smitty
August 21st, 2018, 07:56 AM
Realistically, every SoCon team should be hoping that big programs come in and scoop up their coaches. That means they are doing something right. Sure, stinks to lose a guy, but if you are playing at such a high level that big programs want your coaches, then that's definitely a good thing.

Which is why I enjoy Mark Speir's success but hope that he just really likes it at Western and never leaves for a bigger check. Well one could hope at least...

longtimemocfan
August 21st, 2018, 08:01 AM
As far as recruiting, I think Davern Williams can fill any void we have in that regard. His notoriety brings a lot to the table.

JSUSoutherner
August 21st, 2018, 11:39 AM
As far as recruiting, I think Davern Williams can fill any void we have in that regard. His notoriety brings a lot to the table.

If you can't beat em, pluck one of their old coaches.

PaladinFan
August 21st, 2018, 10:05 PM
When I raise issues about conference scheduling, this is why:

From the new chair of the FCS selection committee: http://www.thecabin.net/sports/20180821/teague-to-chair-di-fcs-selection-committee

“The value for these slots is placed on Division I wins and an emphasis on quality wins,” Teague, who has seen his UCA Bears make the playoff field the past two seasons, said. “With only 14 at-large slots available, the competition is strong. The past few years, it has taken eight Division I wins to be considered for selection."

FUBeAR
August 21st, 2018, 10:37 PM
When I raise issues about conference scheduling, this is why:

From the new chair of the FCS selection committee: http://www.thecabin.net/sports/20180821/teague-to-chair-di-fcs-selection-committee

"The past few years, it has taken eight Division I wins to be considered for selection."

Welp...looks like Mr. Teague already has some 'splainin' to do...as 12 Teams with less than 8 D1 wins (43% of the At Large Bids extended) have been selected the past few years.

2017 At-Large
Big Sky Conference – Northern Arizona (7-4)
Colonial Athletic Association – New Hampshire (7-4)
Missouri Valley Football Conference – South Dakota (7-4)
Missouri Valley Football Conference – University of Northern Iowa (7-4)
Southern Conference - Furman (7-4)

2016 At-Large

Conference
School

Big Sky
Cal Poly (7-4)

Big Sky
Weber State (7-4)

Colonial Athletic Association
New Hampshire (7-4)

Missouri Valley
Illinois State (6-5)

Southern
Chattanooga (8-3) - 7 D1 Wins

Southern
Samford (7-4) - 6 D1 Wins

Southern
Wofford (8-3) - 7 D1 Wins

Catamount87
August 22nd, 2018, 11:54 AM
I've brought this up in the past, the rulebook doesn't say that a certain number of D1 wins are required. It says "The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, fewer than six Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;"

You can find this on page 16,https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017DIMFBL_PreChampsManual_20170914.pdf

PaladinFan
August 22nd, 2018, 04:43 PM
I've brought this up in the past, the rulebook doesn't say that a certain number of D1 wins are required. It says "The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, fewer than six Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;"

You can find this on page 16,https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017DIMFBL_PreChampsManual_20170914.pdf

I have no doubt the chair of the committee is aware of this rule.

FUBeAR
August 22nd, 2018, 05:34 PM
I have no doubt the chair of the committee is aware of this rule.
How can you be sure? He, apparently, didn’t know that almost half of the At-Large Teams SELECTED the past 2 years had fewer than the number of D1 wins he said they would need to even be “CONSIDERED.”

kdinva
August 26th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Tenn. Tech 23 @ Chattanooga 28
Shorter 3 @ Samford 64

Furman 17 @ Clemson 53
Newberry 20 @ Western Carolina 49
The Citadel 17 @ Wofford 26
VMI 21 @ Toledo 46
Mercer 13 @ Memphis 42
Mars Hill 20 @ ETSU 41

FUBeAR
August 27th, 2018, 02:21 PM
A couple of surprises on Woffy's 2-Deep for El Cid https://woffordterriers.com/documents/2018/8/27/18_Wofford_Notes_Week_1_CIT.pdf

Happy to see John Beckley getting the start at OLB. Know his family (used to date his Aunt actually...MANY years ago) and had the opportunity to meet him before the Furman @ Wofford Playoff Game last year as I attended it with his Uncle. Seemed like a fine young man. IIR, I don't think he was part of the Playoff Dress Out Squad that day. Quite an off-season jump from not dressing for the Playoffs to starting the Home Opener vs. a SoCon rival. I may have to pull for Woffy now....nah....still want them both to lose.

Reign of Terrier
August 27th, 2018, 04:28 PM
I like these "changes" for the novelty. Maybe we are no longer a 50 team and more of a 3-4

FUBeAR
August 27th, 2018, 04:52 PM
I like these "changes" for the novelty. Maybe we are no longer a 50 team and more of a 3-4
To-may-to; To-mah-to in my estimation

citdog
August 27th, 2018, 06:14 PM
'DOGS 24 ankle biting nuisance pups 21

FUBeAR
August 27th, 2018, 06:39 PM
https://i.imgur.com/xOBGAVk.gif

citdog
August 27th, 2018, 06:41 PM
https://i.imgur.com/xOBGAVk.gif

It's 2016..... Right???????

FUBeAR
August 27th, 2018, 06:42 PM
It's 2016..... Right???????

Close enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2018, 06:44 PM
When did you become a Samford fan?

citdog
August 27th, 2018, 06:58 PM
When did you become a Samford fan?
Only ONE set of 'Dogs in the SoCon. They will be THRUSTING in 2018. At least we don't lose to meac teams......

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Only ONE set of 'Dogs in the SoCon. They will be THRUSTING in 2018. At least we don't lose to meac teams......
oof.

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Furman still hasn't named a starter at QB.

Hendrix seems to suggest both will play, though I think how both QBs will be used is anyone's guess. As both guys appear pretty equal, I think it is reasonable to assume that Furman will likely play the guy with higher upside (Lincoln) more often.

If for no other reason, 9 of Furman's 10 non-QB starters are sophomores and juniors. Playing Lincoln would give Furman a year letting a QB play in an offense that will return nearly everyone next season as well.

FUBeAR
August 27th, 2018, 10:07 PM
Experience Counts - that's not to say that there won't be important contributions made this year by FR and R-FR Players. Of course there will be. There always is, but Experience Counts...so I decided we should 'Count' the Experience.

Team
Overall 2-Deep Avg Exp
Off & Def #1's Avg Exp
Off & Def #2's Avg Exp
Off 2-Deep Avg Exp
Off #1's Avg Exp
Off #2's Avg Exp
Def 2-Deep Avg Exp
Def #1's Avg Exp
Def #2's Avg Exp
Avg Rank

Samford
2.00 (2)
2.52 (1)
1.48 (3)
1.98 (3)
2.41 (2)
1.55 (4)
2.02 (3)
2.64 (1)
1.41 (5)
2.67 (2)

Wofford
1.91 (3)
2.34 (2)
1.48 (3)
1.66 (5)
2.27 (4)
1.05 (7)
2.16 (1)
2.41 (2)
1.91 (1)
3.11 (3)

Furman
1.71 (6)
2.16 (7)
1.27 (7)
1.66 (5)
1.95 (7)
1.36 (6)
1.77 (6)
2.36 (4)
1.18 (6)
6.00 (6)

Chattanooga
1.64 (7)
2.00 (8)
1.28 (6)
1.73 (4)
1.83 (8)
1.63 (3)
1.55 (7)
2.18 (6)
0.91 (8)
6.33 (8)

The Citadel
1.72 (5)
2.24 (6)
1.18 (8)
1.61 (7)
2.29 (3)
0.86 (9)
1.84 (5)
2.18 (6)
1.50 (3)
5.78 (5)

VMI
1.50 (9)
1.45 (9)
1.55 (2)
1.55 (9)
1.18 (9)
1.91 (2)
1.45 (8)
1.73 (9)
1.18 (6)
7.00 (9)

Mercer
1.84 (4)
2.23 (4)
1.45 (5)
1.61 (7)
2.18 (5)
1.05 (7)
2.07 (2)
2.27 (5)
1.86 (2)
4.55 (4)

ETSU
2.16 (1)
2.26 (3)
2.07 (1)
2.35 (1)
2.13 (6)
2.58 (1)
1.95 (4)
2.41 (2)
1.50 (3)
2.44 (1)

WCU
1.61 (8)
2.23 (4)
1.00 (9)
2.00 (2)
2.55 (1)
1.45 (5)
1.23 (9)
1.91 (8)
0.55 (9)
6.11 (7)

Methodology Notes
1) Each Teams' Experience "Highs" and "Lows" are bolded
2) Conference High's and Low's are undelined.
3) FR receive 0.00 Experience Rating, R-FR get 0.50, SO's get 1.00, etc. Some Teams do not show some or all of their Players who HAVE Redshirted with such a designation and some only show it for their R-FR Year. I don't feel like wading through Samford's 347 man roster (lookin' like Mt. Union there Sammy) or Wofford's Bio 'essays' to try to figure out which one's did/didn't Redshirt. Those are not the only SoCon Teams that don't 'show' it, so some Players are 'shorted' 0.50 points in their experience levels. So, the data is NOT 100% accurate, but it'll do and I believe still shows a reasonable assessment of the level of Experience. UPDATE: I found a not-too-terribly-cumbersome way to deduce and correct Samford's roster to add all of the Redshirt designations...I have re-rated them and updated the numbers above. I even gave Sam Pettway bonus points for his 12 years on Samford's roster. I updated Woffy's & El Cid's too. The rest of the schools show R-SO, R-JR's, etc....so I'm good with the accuracy of this data now.
4) Statistics/Productivity/Actual # of Plays would be better data to capture, have, and compare...but that info is not readily available and has 'problems' of its own across different positions, positions groups, and Teams...and OL ain't got no stats...so FUBeAR sure ain't interested in those metrics!
5) No "Or's" considered - the 1st name on the Published List at each position is 'assigned' as #1 and the 2nd name listed at that position is 'assigned' as #2
6) If Teams listed 12 Players on Offense; 1st of all...they are cheating. 2nd of all, I allowed it and included that data because I don't know which position to remove from Team to Team. The published data is an "Average"...so it really doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of this info.

wcugrad95
August 27th, 2018, 11:03 PM
Team

Overall 2-Deep Avg Exp
Off & Def #1's Avg Exp
Off & Def #2's Avg Exp
Off 2-Deep Avg Exp
Off #1's Avg Exp
Off #2's Avg Exp
Def 2-Deep Avg Exp
Def #1's Avg Exp
Def #2's Avg Exp

WCU

UPDATED: I had inadvertently divided our #2 Def by 22 (instead of 11). Corrected that and our Def #2's is still very young, but not THAT young...

I did the math for Western - the 2-deep is up on our message board, but I didn't see it on the WCU official site. The backups on Defense are VERY young, and that has a significant effect on the overall number for the team. Our offensive #1's are the highest of any grouping on the list so far (2.45), our overall average Off 2-Deep is the highest, and our overall #1's would have us tied with Wofford (ahead of Furman but behind Samford). And FWIW, Holloway (who has the most career rushes on the team at RB) is hurt and will not be on the 2-deep until week 3. He is a RS SR, so he is going to make either our #1 or #2 Off go up - meaning our lead in the offensive columns would grow and our Off and Def #1's would push us slightly past Wofford and a little closer to Samford.

I have seen you defend this metric in other threads, and agree there is no easy way to calculate "experience" correctly (a RS SR who hasn't started a game versus a true SO who started every game as a FR is really more "experienced"). But it will be interesting to see if the "FUBeAR experience meter" yields any interesting correlations to how the teams do. Is there an expectation that ETSU will have a high number since they (like Mercer 4 years into their resurrection) will ***probably*** have lots of Juniors and Seniors on their 2-deep? Maybe not - I am assuming Mercer would have had a high number say 2 years ago, but don't really know.

kdinva
August 28th, 2018, 05:16 AM

good to see you back! I know you got 27 October circled on your calendar.....

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2018, 06:48 AM
Team
Overall 2-Deep Avg Exp
Off & Def #1's Avg Exp
Off & Def #2's Avg Exp
Off 2-Deep Avg Exp
Off #1's Avg Exp
Off #2's Avg Exp
Def 2-Deep Avg Exp
Def #1's Avg Exp
Def #2's Avg Exp

WCU

I did the math for Western - the 2-deep is up on our message board, but I didn't see it on the WCU official site. The backups on Defense are VERY young, and that has a significant effect on the overall number for the team. Our offensive #1's are the highest of any grouping on the list so far (2.45), our overall average Off 2-Deep is the highest, and our overall #1's would have us tied with Wofford (ahead of Furman but behind Samford). And FWIW, Holloway (who has the most career rushes on the team at RB) is hurt and will not be on the 2-deep until week 3. He is a RS SR, so he is going to make either our #1 or #2 Off go up - meaning our lead in the offensive columns would grow and our Off and Def #1's would push us slightly past Wofford and a little closer to Samford.

I have seen you defend this metric in other threads, and agree there is no easy way to calculate "experience" correctly (a RS SR who hasn't started a game versus a true SO who started every game as a FR is really more "experienced"). But it will be interesting to see if the "FUBeAR experience meter" yields any interesting correlations to how the teams do. Is there an expectation that ETSU will have a high number since they (like Mercer 4 years into their resurrection) will ***probably*** have lots of Juniors and Seniors on their 2-deep? Maybe not - I am assuming Mercer would have had a high number say 2 years ago, but don't really know.
I saw that on the WCU message board. It was a copy of the 2-Deep in the recently released Media Guide & is labeled pre-season, so I didn’t use it. I guess if WCU doesn’t release Game Notes for Week 1 or I can’t find them on the most jacked-up Team website since Faith University’s (is it ever going to get fixed?), we can use it.

As far as ‘defending’ this metric of experience, “number of plays” would be best, but that’s just not available. We talk a lot about HT/WT, but I think even a ‘flawed’ experience metric is much more important than HT/WT. Anyone disagree with that? Just curious.

Besides experience, the other 3 most important determinants of success are Talent (hard to quantify that one...and don’t even TRY to give me ‘Recruiting Stars), Coaching (to which I will lump in “Execution” - (yes...the Players do it, but Coaching is what, IMO, determines how well Players do it more than any other factor), and something even more intangible than those 2 - call it what you want - I’ll use the term “Team GRIT” here...simply, it means, how bad do they, as as a Team, want to win AND hate to lose.

So...I don’t know if the most important exp’d Team will win the SoCon...but it’s still an important factor of success, in most, but not all cases. Yes?

Edit...and WOW! ... 0.39 for the 2’s on D!

Welp, as Coach G. Benson & Coach W. Houston taught us.... “The children are our future (in this case, “WCU’s present”). Teach them well & let them lead the way.”

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2018, 07:02 AM
I saw that on the WCU message board. It was a copy of the 2-Deep in the recently released Media Guide & is labeled pre-season, so I didn’t use it. I guess if WCU doesn’t release Game Notes for Week 1 or I can’t find them on the most jacked-up Team website since Faith University’s (is it ever going to get fixed?), we can use it.

As far as ‘defending’ this metric of experience, “number of plays” would be best, but that’s just not available. We talk a lot about HT/WT, but I think even a ‘flawed’ experience metric is much more important than HT/WT. Anyone disagree with that? Just curious.

Besides experience, the other 3 most important determinants of success are Talent (hard to quantify that one...and don’t even TRY to give me ‘Recruiting Stars), Coaching (to which I will lump in “Execution” - (yes...the Players do it, but Coaching is what, IMO, determines how well Players do it more than any other factor), and something even more intangible than those 2 - call it what you want - I’ll use the term “Team GRIT” here...simply, it means, how bad do they, as as a Team, want to win AND hate to lose.

So...I don’t know if the most important exp’d Team will win the SoCon...but it’s still an important factor of success, in most, but not all cases. Yes?

Edit...and WOW! ... 0.39 for the 2’s on D!

Welp, as Coach G. Benson & Coach W. Houston taught us.... “The children are our future (in this case, “WCU’s present). Teach them well & let them lead the way.”

I'd include "combined starts" by offensive line as a good metric.

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2018, 07:09 AM
I'd include "combined starts" by offensive line as a good metric.Agree...an excellent metric, for O-Line particularly. And readily available in FU’s game notes. Not so much for other Teams.

That said...I wonder what the difference in that number is between FU’s very young O-Line vs. WCU’s very ‘old’ one. Might be much closer than the difference that the ‘years of experience’ would project. Y’all 2 (‘95 & PF) cipher those out & report your findings back to the group xthumbsupx

wcugrad95
August 28th, 2018, 07:11 AM
I'd include "combined starts" by offensive line as a good metric.

FUBeAR won't like that one - as WCU with 4 RS SRs and a SO who played most of last year will be really high on that stat. He's on record saying he thinks we are certainly big and experienced and will look good getting off the bus, but questions how good the WCU O-line is.

Personally, they were a big part of the #2 scoring offense in the SoCon and all return, so I am hopeful they didn't somehow get worse over the Summer 

Also, the 0.39 was a math error on my part. The Def #2's come in at 0.77. Still really low, but should improve the numbers. I will update the original post when I am not on my phone.

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2018, 07:40 AM
FUBeAR won't like that one - as WCU with 4 RS SRs and a SO who played most of last year will be really high on that stat. He's on record saying he thinks we are certainly big and experienced and will look good getting off the bus, but questions how good the WCU O-line is.

Personally, they were a big part of the #2 scoring offense in the SoCon and all return, so I am hopeful they didn't somehow get worse over the Summer 

Also, the 0.39 was a math error on my part. The Def #2's come in at 0.64. Still really low, but should improve the numbers. I will update the original post when I am not on my phone.LOL....not so fast my friend...it is an EXCELLENT O-Line metric, as I just posted while you were typing. I saw a lot of those R-Sr’s when they were R-FR in 2015...and they were NOT very good. With the amount they have played, I’m sure they are much better. I recently commented about how good I thought Kaleb Spry looked in some recent video I was able to view. I think, barring injury, he should be in somebody’s NFL camp next Fall based on what I saw. BTW - I think he was listed at 6-2/260 or so in HS. Just sayin’

wcugrad95
August 28th, 2018, 07:45 AM
WCU O-line starts:
LT Grady Thomas (SO) - played in 11 of 12 games with 3 starts as a FR
LG Andrew Miles (RS SR) - has played in 34 career games, with 14 starts (all 12 last year)
C Zach Weeks (RS SR) - Coaches 1st team All-SoCon last year, has played in 34 total games with 32 starts (all 12 last year)
RG Chase Stehling (RS SR) - has played in 23 games with 2 starts (1 last year)
RT Nathan Dalton (RS SR) - has played in 34 total games with 30 starts (10 last year).
Bonus - Kaleb Spry will see playing time on the O-line, and has played in 29 games with 14 starts at Center (all 12 last year).

Just using the listed starters, that is 81 total starts, including 38 starts last season. Spry would push that to 95 starts (50 last year).

I also went back and fixed my math error in post #86. Even with the update, we are still young on Defense.

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2018, 09:02 AM
WCU O-line starts:
LT Grady Thomas (SO) - played in 11 of 12 games with 3 starts as a FR
LG Andrew Miles (RS SR) - has played in 34 career games, with 14 starts (all 12 last year)
C Zach Weeks (RS SR) - Coaches 1st team All-SoCon last year, has played in 34 total games with 32 starts (all 12 last year)
RG Chase Stehling (RS SR) - has played in 23 games with 2 starts (1 last year)
RT Nathan Dalton (RS SR) - has played in 34 total games with 30 starts (10 last year).
Bonus - Kaleb Spry will see playing time on the O-line, and has played in 29 games with 14 starts at Center (all 12 last year).

Just using the listed starters, that is 81 total starts, including 38 starts last season. Spry would push that to 95 starts (50 last year).

I also went back and fixed my math error in post #86. Even with the update, we are still young on Defense.
Spry not starting? Based on my recent observation then, either WCU will have the top OL in FCS, or WCU’s OL Coach is incompetent. Or FUBeAR is an idiot. Or, Spry had 1 unusually great day.

Milktruck74
August 28th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Spry not starting? Based on my recent observation then, either WCU will have the top OL in FCS, or WCU’s OL Coach is incompetent. Or FUBeAR is an idiot. Or, Spry had 1 unusually great day.

I’ll concur on at least one of your statements above.....I’ll leave you to decide which one. Haha.

wcugrad95
August 28th, 2018, 09:25 AM
Spry showing as the backup at Center also surprised me (started all 12 games last year). Weeks was All-SoCon last year, and is preseason All-SoCon this year - but he started at 2 different positions last season and neither was Center (10 at LT and 2 at RG). I certainly expect to see plenty of Kaleb Spry playing, and this is the "early" 2-deep - I know we have a couple of guys who are banged-up who will be on here (or higher on here) in a couple of weeks. That is the luxury of a week #2 bye. The curse is that means we play games 10 weeks in a row after that.

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2018, 02:17 PM
https://clemson.rivals.com/news/dabo-swinney-holds-weekly-news-conference

“They have 10 of 11 starters back on defense who are juniors and seniors. They’re a veteran team with a lot of experience. All of their defensive linemen are back. They have a good group that knows what they’re doing.

“Offensively, to be honest with you it’s stressful to watch them. They do a great job. Shifts and motions, option offense, traditional spread looks, etc. They really stress you and do a great job with their play action game. They can expose you in a heartbeat. They threw the ball 20 times a game last year, but averaged 17 yards a catch. It’s built off of their option principles. This will be a challenge. Each opener is tough because you have not played. It’s easy to see why they’ve had the success they’ve had.

wcugrad95
August 28th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Agree...an excellent metric, for O-Line particularly. And readily available in FU’s game notes. Not so much for other Teams.

That said...I wonder what the difference in that number is between FU’s very young O-Line vs. WCU’s very ‘old’ one. Might be much closer than the difference that the ‘years of experience’ would project. Y’all 2 (‘95 & PF) cipher those out & report your findings back to the group xthumbsupx

I had already done the WCU starters in a different post, but I took the liberty to look at the FU media guide and player profiles. Here are the starts for the guys listed as the #1's on FU's O-line:

overall

Layton

Conrad

Kroeber

Harris
played DT last season

Godwin

So a total of 36 starts last season is very comparable to WCU's 38 (not so much comparable to the 50 if we throw in Spry). Of course that was aided by Kroeber being solid and durable with 13 starts (very impressive!!!). The overall career starts at 38 equals the number of WCU's starters (sans Spry) last season, but pales in comparison to WCU's 81 career starts (95 if you include Spry). One of your O-line starters was a backup DT last season.

But even though I love stats, none of that means a ton. For all I know, Harris could end up being the best O-lineman in the entire group as a converted defensive tackle. Time will tell, but always good to have something to talk about.

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2018, 04:29 PM
I had already done the WCU starters in a different post, but I took the liberty to look at the FU media guide and player profiles. Here are the starts for the guys listed as the #1's on FU's O-line:

overall

Layton

Conrad

Kroeber

Harris
played DT last season

Godwin

So a total of 36 starts last season is very comparable to WCU's 38 (not so much comparable to the 50 if we throw in Spry). Of course that was aided by Kroeber being solid and durable with 13 starts (very impressive!!!). The overall career starts at 38 equals the number of WCU's starters (sans Spry) last season, but pales in comparison to WCU's 81 career starts (95 if you include Spry). One of your O-line starters was a backup DT last season.

But even though I love stats, none of that means a ton. For all I know, Harris could end up being the best O-lineman in the entire group as a converted defensive tackle. Time will tell, but always good to have something to talk about.

1st...a few related asides...

1) I think I see why WCU has "swapped out" Spry - they just couldn't stand for Chatt to be bigger than them..they are now tied for SoCon's largest OL @ 311. Still an inch shorter at 6' 4" than Chatt's 6' 5" - so I expect we'll see a Nixon-esque roster height update soon...or 6'8"/320 FR Tyler Smith will be named a Starter in place of the 6' 3"/290 R-SR & Team Captain, Zach Weeks. That would put them up to 6'5" 317 and they could claim the 'title.' Don't laugh. I've seen, in the recent past, that size be the only reason guys were Playing ahead of Shorter/Lighter Players on either and/or both of the Team(s) I support. It sure was NOT based on blocking effectiveness. As MilkTruck implied, FUBeAR may be an idiot, but he can see when a guy's best technique is a Look-Out Block.

2) I saw Jordan Harris play OL in HS and he, IMO, was a far better OLman than his HS Teammate, a former FU Player, who started every game at OT as a True FR and made the All SoCon Freshman Team and at least 1 Freshman All-American Team. Don't be surprised to see BIG things out of Mr. Harris...assuming FUBeAR is NOT an idiot.

Now to your point....I believe I said it may be surprising how many starts the young FU O-Line has vs. the heavily exp'd WCU O-Line...so...trying to decipher whether it's 38 or 81 or 95 for WCU, I've 'settled on' 81. Their experience level is 3.00. So...5.4 Starts/Season of Exp./Man. FU has 36 Starts and an experience level of 1.8. So 4.0 Starts/Season of Exp./Man. With the number of R-Sr's at WCU vs. R-So's @ FU, I would expect that difference to be much larger...and THAT was MY point.

wcugrad95
August 28th, 2018, 06:25 PM
I knew you would not disappoint and would use the numbers to tell your narrative ��

I thought we were trying to determine "experience" heading into this Saturday, and not what a team might have going into 2 or 3 seasons from now???

I get you on the "measurables" to claim biggest O-line. I am not at practice, but I think Spry is a starter and Weeks moves back to the positions he has played previously.

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2018, 07:55 PM
I knew you would not disappoint and would use the numbers to tell your narrative 

I thought we were trying to determine "experience" heading into this Saturday, and not what a team might have going into 2 or 3 seasons from now???

I get you on the "measurables" to claim biggest O-line. I am not at practice, but I think Spry is a starter and Weeks moves back to the positions he has played previously.
Um...I already told the story using numbers when I said that I thought the relative difference considering FU's young line vs. WCU's 'old' one might be surprising. You just did enough math to enable me to put a finer point on my original point. If the original point I was making had been 'which OL had more 'gross' experience,' that is rather obvious...so there would have been no need to make that point. Anyway...

If Spry does go back in there in place of the denominator remains unchanged at 3.00 and the Starts/Experience Season/Man goes to 6.01...but that still seems a bit low for so many R-Sr Starters. I would take that relatively low number to mean 1 of 2 things...

Either...
1) WCU had some amazing OLmen ahead of them...
...OR...
2) they just were not good enough to beat out the 'average' Players who 'happened to' be ahead of them early/earlier in their careers.

So, let's look at the possibility of the 1st option...

2014 - 0 - All-SoCon (Coaches) 1st Team - None
2014 - 1 - All-SoCon (Media) 1st Team - Jake Thornton
2014 - 1 - All-SoCon (Coaches) 2nd Team - Josh Wineberg (actually an EXCELLENT Player, who probably should have been 1st Team)
2014 - 1 - All-SoCon (Media) 2nd Team - Josh Wineberg
2015 - 0 - All-SoCon (Coaches) 1st Team - None
2015 - 0 - All-SoCon (Media) 1st Team - None
2015 - 1 - All-SoCon (Coaches) 2nd Team - Josh Wineberg
2015 - 2 - All-SoCon (Media) 2nd Team - Josh Wineberg & Jake Thornton
2016 - 0 - All-SoCon (Coaches) 1st Team - None
2016 - 0 - All-SoCon (Media) 1st Team - None
2016 - 0 - All-SoCon (Coaches) 2nd Team - None
2016 - 0 - All-SoCon (Media) 2nd Team - None
2017 - 0 - All-SoCon (Coaches) 1st Team - None (other than 1 or more of those returning...which is not relevant to this assessment because they couldn't have 'beat out themselves'...right?)
2017 - 0 - All-SoCon (Media) 1st Team - None (other than 1 or more of those returning)
2017 - 0 - All-SoCon (Coaches) 2nd Team - None (other than 1 or more of those returning)
2017 - 0 - All-SoCon (Media) 2nd Team - None (other than 1 or more of those returning)

So - 1 1st Team (Media only) All-SoCon Player & 1 FUBeAR's shoulda-been 1st Team 'ahead of them' in the past 4 years....and that was in 2014...when most of them Redshirted, I would imagine.

Does that indicate that there were numerous outstanding OLmen ahead of them whom they couldn't be expected to beat out early or earlier in their careers? If not, then we have to conclude that they only average about 6 starts/season of experience because they were just not good enough to beat out average Players early/earlier in their careers. Right?

Your call.

Reign of Terrier
August 28th, 2018, 08:28 PM
We have strong opinions about OL that I can't be bothered to have an opinion on

wcugrad95
August 28th, 2018, 09:04 PM
@FUBeAR - trying to decipher your post. Originally you were looking for who has the most "experience" at O-line. Then you want to take a year when both lines had 36+ starts to decide that last season is the barometer versus a career (even though you have stated in other posts that years of experience are very important to an o-lineman). Then I can't figure out if you gave credit for Zach Weeks being 1st team coaches All-SoCon last season or not (I didn't see any returning FU lineman from last year's list)??? I think you did, but it was in a way that made it sound like we had 0.

I could flip the argument to you and ask if you think that Harris Roberts as a RS SR (3.5 FUBeAR experience points) should be considered more "experienced" than RS JR Tyrie Adams (2.5 points) for WCU? IMHO there is no argument between which QB has more experience, and given the WCU line has at least 81 career starts versus FU's 38, it is hard for me to see an argument that the WCU line doesn't have more experience in both years in the program and in number of starts.

To make it more of a direct comparison, lets look at last season's starts:
Weeks - 12 (1st team All-SoCon coaches team)
Spry - 12 (he will be a stater on the O-line)
Miles - 12
Dalton - 10
Thomas - 3 (as a true FR)
*** This is my projected actual starting line ***

That will be 49 starts out of a possible 60 games (81.67%) with an All-SoCon selection for WCU versus 36 out of a possible 65 games (55.4%) for FU. There were only 11 total starts for WCU lineman that were filled by guys not returning. There were 29 comparable possible starts for the FU lineman last season.

And @youngterrier - I thought you loved the numbers???

Reign of Terrier
August 28th, 2018, 09:38 PM
As I said in an earlier thread with FUBear: it's likely these stats are internally consistent, but I need evidence of external consistency, which means I need a simple equation, or if not a simple equation than a linear graph with an R squared value

I've been following socon sports for roughly a decade and there are many instances where the less experienced team did work on a more veteran team

If we can't demonstrate a level of predictability (which I doubt is impossible, but would require a lot of information gathering that I doubt many have the time/energy to do), we're basically just playing a language game and putting math on top of it.

I may bring back YT's BS predictive algorithm and refine it some though.

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2018, 09:39 PM
@FUBeAR - trying to decipher your post. Originally you were looking for who has the most "experience" at O-line. Then you want to take a year when both lines had 36+ starts to decide that last season is the barometer versus a career (even though you have stated in other posts that years of experience are very important to an o-lineman). Then I can't figure out if you gave credit for Zach Weeks being 1st team coaches All-SoCon last season or not (I didn't see any returning FU lineman from last year's list)??? I think you did, but it was in a way that made it sound like we had 0.

I could flip the argument to you and ask if you think that Harris Roberts as a RS SR (3.5 FUBeAR experience points) should be considered more "experienced" than RS JR Tyrie Adams (2.5 points) for WCU? IMHO there is no argument between which QB has more experience, and given the WCU line has at least 81 career starts versus FU's 38, it is hard for me to see an argument that the WCU line doesn't have more experience in both years in the program and in number of starts.

To make it more of a direct comparison, lets look at last season's starts:
Weeks - 12 (1st team All-SoCon coaches team)
Spry - 12 (he will be a stater on the O-line)
Miles - 12
Dalton - 10
Thomas - 3 (as a true FR)
*** This is my projected actual starting line ***

That will be 49 starts out of a possible 60 games (81.67%) with an All-SoCon selection for WCU versus 36 out of a possible 65 games (55.4%) for FU. There were only 11 total starts for WCU lineman that were filled by guys not returning. There were 29 comparable possible starts for the FU lineman last season.

And @youngterrier - I thought you loved the numbers???

I think you are missing my primary point. That point is that for as long as those 4 R-Sr's have been there, it would seem that they would have started more games, unless WCU had many REALLY strong Players ahead of them, which, apparently, looking at their All-SoCon representation, is not the case.

Let's look at it a little differently. From the time they arrived in 2014, WCU has played 11.5 games/season. If we take 11.5 (because we don't know in which season they woulda/coulda redshirted) x 3 (prior years of eligibility) = 57.5 games. In those 57.5 games, there were 5 starting OL spots to fill, so 172.5 Starting Spots that they COULD HAVE been in during their 3 prior years of eligibility. In the aggregate, using the WCU95 Starting O-Line, those 4 R-SR's snagged 90 Starts out of 172.5 'possible available starts.' So, on the average, the 4 of them have started 52% of the time during their careers there...only about 1/2 of their careers to date. If they were playing behind a bunch of All SoCon OLmen, that would be pretty dang good. But they weren't. If they redshirted in 2014, they actually never played behind a single All SoCon 1st Team O-Lineman.

So...one (or at least this ONE) has to WONDER...Are they starters now (and some last year) mostly because it's 'their turn' and are they receiving accolades that are more akin to tenure awards than actual recognition for their outstanding play? I said "I wonder" about those things; not that I'm saying those things. There is a difference.

They will certainly have the opportunity to prove themselves this season by keeping Mr. Adams upright and healthy, as well as clearing space for RB's that POSSIBLY aren't going to make an NFL 53 man roster next Fall as it appears their predecessor is about to do. https://boltbeat.com/2018/08/26/chargers-roster-predictions-detrez-newsome-justin-jackson/

wcugrad95
August 28th, 2018, 09:53 PM
I'll stop with agreeing with you that Detrez Newsome was/is a stud football player!!!

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2018, 10:07 PM
This might be the dumbest of all thread killers.

Are we really debating "experience points?"

Here's my take - check to see if the run game is working, the offense is converting short yardage plays, and then look to see how often the QB is on his backside. That should give you a pretty good synopsis of how the OL is playing.

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2018, 10:41 PM
This might be the dumbest of all thread killers.

Are we really debating "experience points?"

Here's my take - check to see if the run game is working, the offense is converting short yardage plays, and then look to see how often the QB is on his backside. That should give you a pretty good synopsis of how the OL is playing.

I suppose you'd prefer to chat about this awhile

https://twitter.com/MartySmithESPN/status/1034533549062475777

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MISefrsJRI

wcugrad95
August 28th, 2018, 10:47 PM
Wait. What??? Didn't that look like Marty Smith had a stronger arm than Roberts xlolx

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2018, 05:07 AM
I am only vaguely aware of who Marty Smith is (I don't watch ESPN except for live sports). But I'm glad to see Furman get positive national press coverage highlighting an impressive student athlete with a unique story.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2018, 06:04 AM
Also, Kealand Dirks looks like he is a few biscuits shy of playing defensive tackle. Big dude.

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1034515214547542016

tenNesseeCat
August 29th, 2018, 07:37 AM

WCU rushing game was 3rd overall in conference, 1st in ypc, 4th in total rush yards - #3 is furman with less than 200 more yards total but over 100 more attempts, 3rd in rushing TD's, 2nd scoring offense, 1st in total offense, 4th in rushing first downs - 2 teams ahead had 1 more game played, 3rd in red zone scoring %

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2018, 08:13 AM
WCU rushing game was 3rd overall in conference, 1st in ypc, 4th in total rush yards - #3 is furman with less than 200 more yards total but over 100 more attempts, 3rd in rushing TD's, 2nd scoring offense, 1st in total offense, 4th in rushing first downs - 2 teams ahead had 1 more game played, 3rd in red zone scoring %

WCU's numbers are not quite as good in conference only statistics. Those OOC contests against Davidson and GWU helped.

walliver
August 29th, 2018, 08:52 AM
TTU at Chatty - Arth under pressure to win. Mockingbirds win by 10
Shorter @ Samford - Hodges impresses with tons of yardage through the air before being pulled in 3d quarter - Sammy's victory margin will likely equal the victory margin for the rest of the year.
Furman at Clemson - FU keeps it close for first half as Clemson frequently struggles offensively against sub-P5 competition early in the season, but pulls away for a 28 point victory.
The Citadel at Wofford - Josh Conklin has big shoes to fill, but he has been an assistant at both of these schools and pulls out a 7 point win.
VMI at Toledo - This won't be pretty and Toledo wins by 35
Mercer at Memphis - The Bears have played good teams close in the past and have a good chance at an upset, but lose at the end by 2
Mars Hill at ETSU - ETSU has a new regime, but Mars Hill is still Mars Hill and Mountain Pirates win by 28

No Power Rankings since not a single team has played a single game.

Addendum: The Newberry "We ain't Indians anymore" Wolfies at WCU - The old WCU might lose this, but wins handily by 31

tenNesseeCat
August 29th, 2018, 08:53 AM
WCU's numbers are not quite as good in conference only statistics. Those OOC contests against Davidson and GWU helped.

True, I was just using those numbers to show that maybe the WCU OL isn't as questionable as some want to try and spin. I mean 3 all conference with one also getting the AA nod preseason, ain't too bad. The one that has been "deemed worthy" didn't get any press. I'm just waiting on the graph/equation/eye test/graphic novel that includes solar and lunar phase variables in conjunction with the rise of STD rates, so I can get an idea of where the talent in the SoCon really lies.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Shorter @ Samford - Hodges impresses with tons of yardage through the air before being pulled in 3d quarter - Sammy's victory margin will likely equal the victory margin for the reast of the year.
Furman at Clemson - FU keeps it close for first half as Clemson frequently struggles offensively against sub-P5 competition early in the season, but pulls away for a 28 point victory.
The Citadel at Wofford - Josh Conklin has big shoes to fill, but he has been an assistant at both of these schools and pulls out a 7 point win.
Mercer at Memphis - The Bears have played good teams close in the past and have a good chance at an upset, but lose at the end by 2
Mars Hill at ETSU - ETSU has a new regime, but Mars Hill is still Mars Hill and Mountain Pirates win by 28

I think any margin of victory for Wofford will be big. They are not necessarily known for winning with style points. Just get the job done.

They won a lot of games late last year just out-executing teams in the fourth quarter. That's going to be the big thing I am looking for in Conklin's first game.

tenNesseeCat
August 29th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Shorter @ Samford - Hodges impresses with tons of yardage through the air before being pulled in 3d quarter - Sammy's victory margin will likely equal the victory margin for the reast of the year.

Did something happen in Cullowhee that I'm not aware of?

walliver
August 29th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Did something happen in Cullowhee that I'm not aware of?

I updated my predictions. Although it wasn't much of a reach to pick WCU for this one.

The only really interesting games for this week are Chatty, Wofford-Citadel, and possibly Mercer.

Catamount87
August 29th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Addendum: The Newberry "We ain't Indians anymore" Wolfies at WCU - The old WCU might lose this, but wins handily by 31

Hey now, dennis wagner didn't return as our Head Coach.

And if we're going to start tossing good natured smack, really how serious can we take someone who has chosen to live in Lumberton? ;-)

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2018, 10:40 AM
rise of STD ratesSo, WCU is back in session, then?

tenNesseeCat
August 29th, 2018, 11:37 AM
So, WCU is back in session, then?

Better to get laid in Cullowhee than raped in Macon.

SCPALADIN
August 29th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Shorter @ Samford - Hodges impresses with tons of yardage through the air before being pulled in 3d quarter - Sammy's victory margin will likely equal the victory margin for the rest of the year.

I wouldn't bet on Hodges being pulled. Barring some sort of injury I'd expect him to pad those stats so he can break records.

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Better to get laid in Cullowhee than raped in Macon.I've never experienced the latter, but I guess you have, so I'll defer to your knowledge on the subject and agree with you.

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2018, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't bet on Hodges being pulled. Barring some sort of injury I'd expect him to pad those stats so he can break records.In most cases you would be correct, but Shorter's new HC is part of the Samford's 'extended' family. His Bro played at Samford. So, I think even the HatchAttack gives the HodgesBarrages (copyright pending - use without attribution is expressly prohibited) some time off tomorrow night.

I can see the Headline in the Homewood Herald now...

"HatchAttack Garages HodgesBarrages; looks ahead to looming Bear Scare."

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2018, 02:15 PM
In most cases you would be correct, but Samford's new HC is part of the Samford's 'extended' family. His Bro played at Samford. So, I think even the HatchAttack gives the HodgesBarrages (copyright pending - use without attribution is expressly prohibited) some time off tomorrow night.

How long Hodges plays will be an interesting story line to follow. This is the one team on the schedule he can put up silly numbers against.

Hatcher may pull him in the third quarter, but he still might have 350 yards by then.

tenNesseeCat
August 29th, 2018, 02:21 PM
I've never experienced the latter, but I guess you have, so I'll defer to your knowledge on the subject and agree with you.

It was a jab about Macon's crime rate being more than twice the national average.

SU DOG
August 29th, 2018, 02:21 PM
In most cases you would be correct, but Samford's new HC is part of the Samford's 'extended' family. His Bro played at Samford. So, I think even the HatchAttack gives the HodgesBarrages (copyright pending - use without attribution is expressly prohibited) some time off tomorrow night.

Several things I need to comprehend this. I think you mean Shorter with the new HC. I really do love the term "HodgesBarrages" however. Lastly, looming Bear Scare????? I don't see ANYTHING scary ahead that concerns a bear. But, I will check with the Birmingham Zoo to see if there has been an escape that I am unware of.

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2018, 02:29 PM
How long Hodges plays will be an interesting story line to follow. This is the one team on the schedule he can put up silly numbers against.

Hatcher may pull him in the third quarter, but he still might have 350 yards by then.

I'm telling y'all (again)....with this new redshirt rule, I will be very surprised if we don't see #18 in there tomorrow night tossing it around a little bit. https://samfordsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6251

And...if that's the case, they have 7 other QB's on the roster that are 'ahead' of #18 (class/experience wise)...so, in order to get 9 QB's in the game, Coach Hatcher is going to have to pull #8 pretty early.

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2018, 04:07 PM
It was a jab about Macon's crime rate
https://www.yourtango.com/sites/default/files/image_list/ralphie_may_0.gif

Sandlapper Spike
August 29th, 2018, 06:52 PM
good to see you back! I know you got 27 October circled on your calendar.....

That game is always circled on our calendar...

ETSUfan1
August 29th, 2018, 07:37 PM
Excited to see what ETSU can do on offense, but not sure how much we'll show against Mars Hill. Any offense would be an improvement.

kdinva
August 29th, 2018, 07:40 PM
.....Any offense would be an improvement.

Hey, that's VMI"s motto......xrotatehx

FUBeAR
August 30th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Welp...I got Sammy, Woffy, and El Cid squared away with their hidden Redshirt 'issue'...so those are correct now. And once I 'discovered' WCU's Game Week 2-Deep (Berryman not Punting, BTW), I was able to complete the table and do some rankings in each category and an average of those.

So...when it comes to experience, ETSU is #1 (no surprise - has to do with the whole start-up thing), Samford is #2 (CRAP!), followed by Wofford (crap, again!) #3 and Mercer #4.

VMI is bringing up the rear at #9 and it looks like they have REALLY gone the Play the Youngsters route as their Offensive backups have much more experience than their Offensive Starters - the only time that occurs in the 18 places where it could occur. Chatt is next to last at #8, which surprised me - maybe they don't count the years that all those transfers spent elsewhere. Pretty sure they don't have Chris James (Xfer QB listed correctly). WCU is just ahead of the Mocs at #7. They have the most exp'd Starters on Offense in the SoCon, but their backups on D, pulled in the overall lowest 'Experience Value' of any unit in the SoCon. By the way, they did update their OL Roster weights in their 2-Deep and they are now the largest in the SoCon at 312 - 1 pound heavier than Chatt...and their 6-8 True FR IS on the 2-Deep (Both of those things were FUBeAR predictions - HA HA HA - I love it!).

Thoughts?

Team
Overall 2-Deep Avg Exp
Off & Def #1's Avg Exp
Off & Def #2's Avg Exp
Off 2-Deep Avg Exp
Off #1's Avg Exp
Off #2's Avg Exp
Def 2-Deep Avg Exp
Def #1's Avg Exp
Def #2's Avg Exp
Avg Rank (lower number is 'better' in this column)

ETSU
2.16 (1)
2.26 (3)
2.07 (1)
2.35 (1)
2.13 (6)
2.58 (1)
1.95 (4)
2.41 (2)
1.50 (3)
2.44 (1)

Samford
2.00 (2)
2.52 (1)
1.48 (3)
1.98 (3)
2.41 (2)
1.55 (4)
2.02 (3)
2.64 (1)
1.41 (5)
2.67 (2)

Wofford
1.91 (3)
2.34 (2)
1.48 (3)
1.66 (5)
2.27 (4)
1.05 (7)
2.16 (1)
2.41 (2)
1.91 (1)
3.11 (3)

Mercer
1.84 (4)
2.23 (4)
1.45 (5)
1.61 (7)
2.18 (5)
1.05 (7)
2.07 (2)
2.27 (5)
1.86 (2)
4.55 (4)

The Citadel
1.72 (5)
2.24 (6)
1.18 (8)
1.61 (7)
2.29 (3)
0.86 (9)
1.84 (5)
2.18 (6)
1.50 (3)
5.78 (5)

Furman
1.71 (6)
2.16 (7)
1.27 (7)
1.66 (5)
1.95 (7)
1.36 (6)
1.77 (6)
2.36 (4)
1.18 (6)
6.00 (6)

WCU
1.61 (8)
2.23 (4)
1.00 (9)
2.00 (2)
2.55 (1)
1.45 (5)
1.23 (9)
1.91 (8)
0.55 (9)
6.11 (7)

Chattanooga
1.64 (7)
2.00 (8)
1.28 (6)
1.73 (4)
1.83 (8)
1.63 (3)
1.55 (7)
2.18 (6)
0.91 (8)
6.33 (8)

VMI
1.50 (9)
1.45 (9)
1.55 (2)
1.55 (9)
1.18 (9)
1.91 (2)
1.45 (8)
1.73 (9)
1.18 (6)
7.00 (9)

longtimemocfan
August 30th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Just doing the two Thursday games for now.

Chattanooga- 24 TTU- 7 Have read what the press writer who pretty much tells you like it is and from talking to former players who've been to many of the fall practices, my early conclusion is the defense could be better than last year and the offense while better is still a work in progress. The main concern on offense isn't the O Line as much as it could be how well the QB play is early. I think we'll improve as the season goes but would say we're a middle of the pack team ro start.

Samford- 56 Shorter- 7. Samford can win by as many as they want. We played Shorter a couple of years ago and they are simply awful.

maninthehighcastle
August 30th, 2018, 02:02 PM
8-30-18
Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga
Shorter @ Samford

9-1-18
Furman @ Clemson
The Citadel @ Wofford
VMI @ Toledo
Mercer @ Memphis
Mars Hill @ ETSU

SU FAN
August 30th, 2018, 02:37 PM
8-30-18
Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga
Shorter @ Samford

9-1-18
Furman @ Clemson
The Citadel @ Wofford
VMI @ Toledo
Mercer @ Memphis
Mars Hill @ ETSU

Ditto!

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Start of second quarter - Tennessee Tech just threw perhaps the worst pass I've ever seen in a college game. Basically a corner fade thrown to the middle of the field and 10 yards from the receiver.

Reign of Terrier
August 30th, 2018, 06:28 PM
Start of second quarter - Tennessee Tech just threw perhaps the worst pass I've ever seen in a college game. Basically a corner fade thrown to the middle of the field and 10 yards from the receiver.

Is your feed wayyyyy faster than mine because Chattanooga just kicked a field goal and there's 7:17 left in the first quarter

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 06:30 PM
Is your feed wayyyyy faster than mine because Chattanooga just kicked a field goal and there's 7:17 left in the first quarter

Wait, I'm with you. The feed was slow to come in on audio so I think they may have confused me on the graphics.

Also, UTC's running game doesn't look much better. Slow developing run game (which is not ideal)

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Ok. It's the graphics. The score just said 6-3 Tenn Tech, but they haven't scored.

First game for everyone, I guess.

TTUEagles
August 30th, 2018, 07:00 PM
TTU Trying to transition to the spread option after having numbnuts the last two years ago try a two tight end,power back offense... starting a True freshman quarterback as he’s the only one that can really run to spread option offense ... going to be a long year again

Reign of Terrier
August 30th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Wait, I'm with you. The feed was slow to come in on audio so I think they may have confused me on the graphics.

Also, UTC's running game doesn't look much better. Slow developing run game (which is not ideal)

ESPN's score says it's halftime, so yeah.

Chattanooga just scored on a long touchdown pass with most of the yards coming after the reception. Glancing at the stats, I would still be concerned if I'm UTC. Only 24 yards rushing on 9 attempts.

They're doing well throwing the ball, but they aren't an air raid team. They need to have an established run game or at least balance. They struggled with that handily last year. Tennessee Tech's run defense would probably be near the bottom of the Socon

kdinva
August 30th, 2018, 07:10 PM

http://www.sidearmstats.com/utc/football/

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=221257

ASU33
August 30th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Kennesaw State 14
Georgia State 0
3:31 left in the 4th

Reign of Terrier
August 30th, 2018, 07:14 PM
Kennesaw is in the big south

ASU33
August 30th, 2018, 07:14 PM
whoops wrong thread!

wcugrad95
August 30th, 2018, 07:41 PM
Also, what I a seeing is Kennesaw and Georgia State tied at 14-all at the half??? Wrong thread, but also wrong score (or ESPN is screwed up).

Reign of Terrier
August 30th, 2018, 07:43 PM
that score is correct

wcugrad95
August 30th, 2018, 07:45 PM
As for the feed, it is strange. I had the game on my laptop, and then turned it on through Roku on my TV. The TV was about 2 minutes behind the computer. I assume that is something to do with Roku - both are playing from the same Internet feed, ESPN3, etc.

UTC looks like they are better in that they haven't given up a bunch of sacks, but as already pointed out stats-wise you take out an 89-yard pass that really didn't go much past the line of scrimmage and the offensive output would be about the same. And that is not good, because TTU has looked absolutely awful on offense other than the QB getting able to run free in the middle of the field.

kdinva
August 30th, 2018, 07:57 PM
UTC with their own pick-six........Mocs up 20-7, 13:10 left in the 3rd.....

wcugrad95
August 30th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Samford vs Shorter - I can understand stat-padding for Hodges, but no way would I have him on the field after the half. He already has 4 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, and close to 300 yards passing. I'd probably sit those WRs, too.

kdinva
August 30th, 2018, 08:05 PM
UTC with their own pick-six........Mocs up 20-7, 13:10 left in the 3rd.....

UTC forces a Tech punt, then drive 64 yards in 3 plays (rushing), 27-7; 10:32 to go in 3rd.

wcugrad95
August 30th, 2018, 08:06 PM
UTC O-line looked a lot better on that drive.

kdinva
August 30th, 2018, 08:18 PM
TTU gets a FG, UTC answers with a 63 yard pass TD.

34-10. 6:33 in 3rd.... Mocs w/290 pass yards.

kdinva
August 30th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Samford vs Shorter - I can understand stat-padding for Hodges, but no way would I have him on the field after the half. He already has 4 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, and close to 300 yards passing. I'd probably sit those WRs, too.

Hodges and buddies playing in the 3rd period...........yes, they drove and scored.....52-0.........

wcugrad95
August 30th, 2018, 08:34 PM
I really hope they get him out of there - how bad would it be for him to get hurt in a game they were leading 45-0 at halftime??? He now has 5 TD passes and 330 yards.

And Shorter should actually consider dropping football. I know they are D-II, but they haven't won a game since 2015. I saw that in a different thread, but went and looked it up. 0-for-the season the last 2 years, and 2-8 back in 2015.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 08:49 PM
I really hope they get him out of there - how bad would it be for him to get hurt in a game they were leading 45-0 at halftime??? He now has 5 TD passes and 330 yards.

And Shorter should actually consider dropping football. I know they are D-II, but they haven't won a game since 2015. I saw that in a different thread, but went and looked it up. 0-for-the season the last 2 years, and 2-8 back in 2015.

It is embarrassing that Samford schedules games like this. I know that ruffled their fans on here, but this team is awful.

wcugrad95
August 30th, 2018, 08:55 PM
Scheduling is sometimes a tough thing. WCU is playing Newberry on Saturday, and it would be easy to say the same thing about us scheduling that game. We had Presbyterian originally scheduled, then they backed out and rumor was we were set to replace them with SC State. That fell through and we were left with either only playing 10 games (and only the 4 SoCon games at home), or picking up whoever we could get.

Not saying that is what happened with Samford (I don't think it did). But scheduling games - especially when you need to make it a home game - is not always easy.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 08:57 PM
Scheduling is sometimes a tough thing. WCU is playing Newberry on Saturday, and it would be easy to say the same thing about us scheduling that game. We had Presbyterian originally scheduled, then they backed out and rumor was we were set to replace them with SC State. That fell through and we were left with either only playing 10 games (and only the 4 SoCon games at home), or picking up whoever we could get.

Not saying that is what happened with Samford (I don't think it did). But scheduling games - especially when you need to make it a home game - is not always easy.

I think this is the 5th straight year Samford has schedule a D2 school. 3 or 4 of them have been objectively awful teams.

I get it. It's a money thing. Cheap home game. Still, when you want to be taken seriously as a national contender, you stop scheduling these type of games. Play a legitimate OOC team.

FUBeAR
August 30th, 2018, 09:04 PM
I see Samford’s #18 getting loose.

Hatcher Era about to be cut loose in Homewood!

I feel a Joe Montana / Steve Young “thing” a-comin’

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Big results out of the CAA with Delaware and UNH both losing.

Anytime highly ranked CAA programs go down in upsets is a good day for the SoCon.

wcugrad95
August 30th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Agree with the above - although it could be argued UNH was in a rivalry game on the road with their starting QB going down early. But just like with WCU against your Paladins last year, when a guy goes down the game (and season) doesn't stop.

That is 3 top-25 teams (AGS poll) going down with JSU's loss (although theirs was to another top-25 team) before the first "real" Saturday has even gotten here. It also looks like Kennesaw is going to lose at the end to Georgia State. I am not really sure how to take that since that is an FCS vs FBS matchup - but I kind of thought Kennesaw would win. So 4 top-25 teams.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 09:17 PM
Agree with the above - although it could be argued UNH was in a rivalry game on the road with their starting QB going down early. But just like with WCU against your Paladins last year, when a guy goes down the game (and season) doesn't stop.

That is 3 top-25 teams (AGS poll) going down with JSU's loss (although theirs was to another top-25 team) before the first "real" Saturday has even gotten here. It also looks like Kennesaw is going to lose at the end to Georgia State. I am not really sure how to take that since that is an FCS vs FBS matchup - but I kind of thought Kennesaw would wind.

This is true, but its also one more loss to a bubble team.

Having played a first week rivalry game last season, I don't like them.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Kennesaw State also loses. Ga State is an FBS team, but one that has lost to a bunch of FCS teams.

FUBeAR
August 30th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Kennesaw State also loses. Ga State is an FBS team, but one that has lost to a bunch of FCS teams.Not good. Needed them to win over an ‘FBS’ Team & lose later to Sammy

FUBeAR
August 30th, 2018, 09:33 PM
LOL - 1st down pass into the end zone up by 50...

Yep - gotta take care of them QB's Mama's. I think I just saw Coach Hatcher lip sync'ing to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NV6Rdv1a3I

Reign of Terrier
August 30th, 2018, 09:49 PM
Shorter hasn't won a game since 2015, there was no excuse to schedule this one.

The Cats
August 30th, 2018, 09:53 PM
You people with all the "damn numbers" that mean absolutely nothing - are making my head hurt !!!!!!!!!!

FUBeAR
August 30th, 2018, 10:10 PM
You people with all the "damn numbers" that mean absolutely nothing - are making my head hurt !!!!!!!!!!
http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/arithmophobia/treatment-and-cure/

Scrappy94
August 31st, 2018, 12:07 AM
After nearly a 3 hour weather delay, we finally have a final score.

Mocs over the Golden Eagles 34-10.

FUBeAR
August 31st, 2018, 06:32 AM
8-30-18
Tenn. Tech @ Chattanooga - Mocs show off a revamped rushing attack & a strong defense that shoots down the Eagles. Final Score (revised as I am, now, not so sure about that “strong defense”): Mocs 31- Eagles 27

Shorter @ Samford - Bullpups lead by 3 or 4 scores in the 1st quarter, allow #8 to run up some stats in the 2nd quarter & go into the break leading 56-0. But, ONLY because Shorter’s new Head Coach is part of the (extended) Samford Football Family, Hodges and most of the Samford O ‘skill players’ Starters only play 1 series in the 2nd half. Among many others, FR QB Hatcher makes his college debut in the 2nd half. Samford continues to pull away, but concedes the shutout. Final score: Bullpups 77 - Hawks 7

————————————————————————

9-1-18
Furman @ Clemson - I’m not exactly sure how, but Coach Hendrix finds a way to eke out Furman’s 1st victory over Clemson in 82 years after 30 consecutive losses to the hated Clempscum Tiggers. Final Score: Paladins 24 - Tiggers 23

———————————————-

Almost like I had time-traveled forward with my 1st 2 predictions of the week, except for misremembering the ineptitude of TTU’s Offense (not a knock on Chatt. - proud of the Mocs last night AND on into this morning).

Pretty sure the next game up will also go as described per my recollections from my time-traveling memories. Oh...and buy Apple stock...your future Cranial iChip (i = implanted) will be think highly of you if you do.

PaladinNation
August 31st, 2018, 07:14 AM
Also, Kealand Dirks looks like he is a few biscuits shy of playing defensive tackle. Big dude.

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1034515214547542016

Dirks is thick… when you stand next to him you realize how massive his legs are… not saying who but at the FanFest a few were suggesting Dirks weighs more like 260. The weight doesn't appear to impact his speed and really good footwork.

I think when we hit the SoCon part of the schedule Dirks will be back to his fighting weight of 250.

tenNesseeCat
August 31st, 2018, 07:34 AM
Good win for UTC...I was happy to see the score when I got home after a steak dinner. I was able to check out a few series before the delay. Good job Mocs!

FUGameBreaker
August 31st, 2018, 08:48 AM
UTC takes care of bidness in the only 'true' toss up OOC game this weekend in the SoCon, good work

Reign of Terrier
August 31st, 2018, 11:51 AM
I *think* UTC has improved. They certainly looked sharper on defense, but I have to reiterate that they need to be able to run the ball more effectively. I'm concerned by their general reluctance to go to the run game.

SU DOG
August 31st, 2018, 12:34 PM
I think this is the 5th straight year Samford has schedule a D2 school. 3 or 4 of them have been objectively awful teams.

I get it. It's a money thing. Cheap home game. Still, when you want to be taken seriously as a national contender, you stop scheduling these type of games. Play a legitimate OOC team.

And in how many of those 5 years did Samford have probably the BEST OOC FCS win of any team in the SoCon? Who has at least a chance to do so again this year? Yeah Shorter is young and awful, but Samford has ties to Shorter as has been stated. This is certainly tiring as it is such a dead horse topic by now. Maybe some other SoCon teams can schedule some ranked FCS teams like UCA and KSU and give the SoCon their best OOC win before they have such inexplicable concerns about somebody else's schedule.

WCU-Cats!
August 31st, 2018, 12:40 PM
And in how many of those 5 years did Samford have probably the BEST OOC FCS win of any team in the SoCon? Who has at least a chance to do so again this year? Yeah Shorter is young and awful, but Samford has ties to Shorter as has been stated. This is certainly tiring as it is such a dead horse topic by now. Maybe some other SoCon teams can schedule some ranked FCS teams like UCA and KSU and give the SoCon their best OOC win before they have such inexplicable concerns about somebody else's schedule.

Winding up with one of the better wins and scheduling proper competition are two different discussions, can't really mix them, I am not happy about playing Newberry now that our program is a bit better off but I don't control this stuff so ill let it be, but if up to me I would go 2 FCS with 1 FBS, and on a 12 game season 2 FCS with 2 FBS

SU DOG
August 31st, 2018, 12:51 PM
Yeah, if it was up to us(me included) I would not play a D-2. However, pointing the finger at another school's schedule is another issue. Also claiming that the other school's schedule has hurt the conference does validate the mixing of the two discussions. That is certainly true when that school has provided the best SoCon OOC win in several recent seasons.

Reign of Terrier
August 31st, 2018, 01:06 PM
Wofford's played plenty of bad D2 teams, so I understand the frustration with D2 schools, I just think Shorter was an especially bad D2 school.

SU DOG
August 31st, 2018, 01:08 PM
Wofford's played plenty of bad D2 teams, so I understand the frustration with D2 schools, I just think Shorter was an especially bad D2 school.

They are, but I think they needed this game.

SU DOG
August 31st, 2018, 01:10 PM
I think a lot a their general reluctance had to do with TTU. I think the Mocs knew their were matchups in their favor going down the field. Ran the ball very little the 1st half, but notice they picked up with success in the 2nd for the most part. Still can do better.

Serious question here: Do you think that Arth might have held some things back?

kymoc91
August 31st, 2018, 01:19 PM
Who know, he could be trying to go basic going into The Citadel game next week. The offense did play better than last year. They had too many penalties, though. Had almost as many big plays (20+ yards) last night as they had all last season.

Milktruck74
August 31st, 2018, 01:32 PM
I *think* UTC has improved. They certainly looked sharper on defense, but I have to reiterate that they need to be able to run the ball more effectively. I'm concerned by their general reluctance to go to the run game.

Yeah. I was glad to see the improvement on the OL, and Price looks like he has good vision and gets stronger as the game moves on.....I temper my enthusiasm with the understanding that TTU is bad. Real bad. They may not win a game in their conference, and outside of AP and JSU, their conference is bad.

Reign of Terrier
August 31st, 2018, 01:44 PM
Yeah. I was glad to see the improvement on the OL, and Price looks like he has good vision and gets stronger as the game moves on.....I temper my enthusiasm with the understanding that TTU is bad. Real bad. They may not win a game in their conference, and outside of AP and JSU, their conference is bad.

Exactly. And in my memory, UTC was good at passing the ball last year (when they could protect Copeland) and when they improved, they leaned on the pass game to set up the run game. Maybe that's a winning formula, I don't know, I'm too biased in favor of a run game to know.

But because this pattern of playcalling was so similar to last year, there's still some uncertainty around UTC. They are better, but whether or not they're a 5-6 team or "back" is something we can't say right now.

Milktruck74
August 31st, 2018, 04:03 PM
Exactly. And in my memory, UTC was good at passing the ball last year (when they could protect Copeland) and when they improved, they leaned on the pass game to set up the run game. Maybe that's a winning formula, I don't know, I'm too biased in favor of a run game to know.

But because this pattern of playcalling was so similar to last year, there's still some uncertainty around UTC. They are better, but whether or not they're a 5-6 team or "back" is something we can't say right now.

Far from BACK....but 7 wins is possible. Price didn’t do it with much flash, but he did almost have 100 yards on eh ground and almost averaged 5/carry. And his 5 catches for 56 yards, tells me he is going to be the type of back that we can build with.

Sandlapper Spike
August 31st, 2018, 07:01 PM

I thought UTC looked solid (and a nice crowd for a Thursday night game, imo). That said, the Mocs' running game is still a TBD situation until they play better opposition. Tennessee Tech allowed 5.38 yards per rush last season (bottom 10 nationally).

FUBeAR
August 31st, 2018, 10:04 PM
I was impressed with Tiano as the game went on. His accuracy didn’t improve (and I don’t think it’s going to), but HE did. He seemed to become more & more comfortable with who he is, & that’s THE QB for UTC, as the night wore on. Now Coach Arth needs to do the same thing. He is not Tom Brady, but he may be Tim Tebow. Chatt can win games with him at QB, but only if they take advantage of what he does very well (running the ball, throwing short, high % passes, and an occasional 50/50 deep ball & not asking him to do those things that he doesn’t excel in - touch passes, fittting the ball into tight windows, sitting in the pocket & checking down to multiple targets. A solid running game will help all those things & I think Chatt saw that they CAN run the ball, but they have to commit to it...and I’m not sure they (the Coaching Staff) have the ‘grit’ to do that.

Thought the O-Line looked fit & talented. Is Marshall hurt? Technique & full (winning) effort still need some work, but definitely saw progress. Price was impressive, but not quite as good as I expected. Seems to lack “burst” (think of Detrez Newsome’s), but I like him. Runs hard...EVERY play.

D still blowing a lot of assignments & often lacking (winning) effort (DL mostly), but those are fixable problems. They are very good Players.

Nunnalley is ALL THAT.

Chatt is gonna compete strong this year if Coaches will adapt to Players’ Talents, clean up the mistakes on D ... and, most importantly, get Players to go ALL out EVERY play...snap to echo of whistle.

Other game...

Hodges was hit on his 1st Pass & under duress all night....against an awful D2 Team. He’s too good to let that bother him...OBVIOUSLY...but he should have been totally untouched against that Team. FSU & the SoCon ain’t Shorter.

Sims should be the Starting RB as of Monday.
Defense was ‘meh’
i think we learned something about GaSou’s issues in this game. No further comment.

What did y’all think when #8 (who played lights out...as always), sat down? Confident in the current incumbent?

i noticed #18 has ‘passed’ 4 more exp’d QB’s on the roster & seems to be CO-#3 with a R-JR. If anything goes sour for #8 in 2018...u think the current backup (R-SO) can hold off the surging #18? I’m not.

Overall - SonCon looking solid. Only FCS Conference (that has played any games) that is undefeated...so far.

Furman on deck!

Milktruck74
August 31st, 2018, 10:29 PM

I hope so, or we will probably be 1-1 after next week.

longtimemocfan
August 31st, 2018, 10:35 PM

I hope he did, but I'm sure each team has different weaknesses that they will try and exploit from week to week. I think this team will improve as the year goes along.

SU DOG
September 1st, 2018, 12:28 AM
I was impressed with Tiano as the game went on. His accuracy didn’t improve (and I don’t think it’s going to), but HE did. He seemed to become more & more comfortable with who he is, & that’s THE QB for UTC, as the night wore on. Now Coach Arth needs to do the same thing. He is not Tom Brady, but he may be Tim Tebow. Chatt can win games with him at QB, but only if they take advantage of what he does very well (running the ball, throwing short, high % passes, and an occasional 50/50 deep ball & not asking him to do those things that he doesn’t excel in - touch passes, fittting the ball into tight windows, sitting in the pocket & checking down to multiple targets. A solid running game will help all those things & I think Chatt saw that they CAN run the ball, but they have to commit to it...and I’m not sure they (the Coaching Staff) have the ‘grit’ to do that.

Thought the O-Line looked fit & talented. Is Marshall hurt? Technique & full (winning) effort still need some work, but definitely saw progress. Price was impressive, but not quite as good as I expected. Seems to lack “burst” (think of Detrez Newsome’s), but I like him. Runs hard...EVERY play.

D still blowing a lot of assignments & often lacking (winning) effort (DL mostly), but those are fixable problems. They are very good Players.

Nunnalley is ALL THAT.

Chatt is gonna compete strong this year if Coaches will adapt to Players’ Talents, clean up the mistakes on D ... and, most importantly, get Players to go ALL out EVERY play...snap to echo of whistle.

Other game...

Hodges was hit on his 1st Pass & under duress all night....against an awful D2 Team. He’s too good to let that bother him...OBVIOUSLY...but he should have been totally untouched against that Team. FSU & the SoCon ain’t Shorter.

Sims should be the Starting RB as of Monday.
Defense was ‘meh’
i think we learned something about GaSou’s issues in this game. No further comment.

What did y’all think when #8 (who played lights out...as always), sat down? Confident in the current incumbent?

i noticed #18 has ‘passed’ 4 more exp’d QB’s on the roster & seems to be CO-#3 with a R-JR. If anything goes sour for #8 in 2018...u think the current backup (R-SO) can hold off the surging #18? I’m not.

Overall - SonCon looking solid. Only FCS Conference (that has played any games) that is undefeated...so far.

Furman on deck!

Against some of the best SoCon defenses last year, Hodges wasn't sacked very much. Two each against Furman, Wofford, and Mercer if I'm looking correctly. I think the offensive philosophy has something to do with what you observed. Your O-Line can't block more than what the D is rushing, be it Shorter or whomever. Many times we have an empty backfield or a 1 back set. Hodges releases so quickly that it is still hard for those blitzers to sack him. I sure hope I'm right about this, because I would like for Dustin to have more time.

Our defense was subbing from the first quarter, so I just don't have a feel for them yet. To say we don't miss Salmon would definitely be a lie, however.

Unfortunately, I would have to say that you were very observant about a certain DB, but still believe he has the potential to be really good.

YES, I am positive that Liam Welch is and WILL be the backup to Hodges this year. Six of our QBs(including #18) are freshmen, and most of those are not on schollys.

Also, I agree that Sims is a very good RB.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 06:20 AM
Against some of the best SoCon defenses last year, Hodges wasn't sacked very much. Two each against Furman, Wofford, and Mercer if I'm looking correctly. I think the offensive philosophy has something to do with what you observed. Your O-Line can't block more than what the D is rushing, be it Shorter or whomever. Many times we have an empty backfield or a 1 back set. Hodges releases so quickly that it is still hard for those blitzers to sack him. I sure hope I'm right about this, because I would like for Dustin to have more time.

Our defense was subbing from the first quarter, so I just don't have a feel for them yet. To say we don't miss Salmon would definitely be a lie, however.

Unfortunately, I would have to say that you were very observant about a certain DB, but still believe he has the potential to be really good.

YES, I am positive that Liam Welch is and WILL be the backup to Hodges this year. Six of our QBs(including #18) are freshmen, and most of those are not on schollys.

Also, I agree that Sims is a very good RB.

Samford's offense, at its base, is still a possession offense. Hodges is also very talented at changing his arm slot to make throws around defenders. He's a tough guy to get to, and is strong enough to stand back there and sling it even with guys on top of him.

I didn't see enough of the game to really develop an opinion on Welch. I did see him attempt Hodges panted pump fake run near the goalline and Shorter popped him pretty good for the effort. He may not be as elusive a runner as Hodges is.

FUBeAR
September 1st, 2018, 06:28 AM

Also, I agree that Sims is a very good RB.QB’s YR & Depth...
1 R-SR - Hodges #1
1 R-JR - Sutherland Co-#3 (for now)
1 R-SO - Welch #2 (for now)
5 R-SO or R-FR (whatever, but not FR) - bunch of dudes >#3
2 FR - #18 - Co-#3 (for now), some other dude >#3

...may be slightly off - don’t have my ACTUAL roster with me...pretty sure only 1 other TRUE FR QB though.

...we’ll see.

You gotta admit, FUBeAR has been rather prescient about Samford’s QB situation going back to his pre-season 2015 ‘calling’ of the Hodges/Eubank deal right thru ‘calling’ #18 playing & throwing Thurs night.

SU DOG
September 1st, 2018, 08:37 AM
I cannot argue FUBeAR's accuracy to this point concerning Samford QBs. xconfusedx

chattownmocs
September 1st, 2018, 12:42 PM
Lol. Youd think UTC was the heavy favorite to win the conference. Get a grip. If UTC's offense can improve to even mediocre, they'll have an excellent chance to win the conference. Tennessee Tech is not nearly as bad as those on here are claiming. They went 1-10 last year, but they didnt take a bunch of 40-50 point beatings. UTC has by far the best defense in the conference. The defense from early last year wont be showing back up. They transitioned from a defense that is about as basic as it gets to one that is about as complex as it gets all while losing the architect of the defense before the season started. The O-line hasn't improved, it's a new O-line. It's got a long way to go, but last years offensive line has been replaced.

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2018, 01:08 PM
I disagree - I think TennTech is awful. True that they didn't get blown out too many times last season, but they did lose by 27 twice (Western Illinois and JSU), and 28 once (SEMO). And I also think the OVC is way behind the SoCon in terms of depth, and they went 1-10 overall and 1-7 in conference last year while averaging less than 16 points per game.

UTC could very well be a really solid team, and I thought they looked better. But I am not sure what can really be determined about the Mocs based on this first game.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 01:11 PM
I disagree - I think TennTech is awful. True that they didn't get blown out too many times last season, but they did lose by 27 twice (Western Illinois and JSU), and 28 once (SEMO). And I also think the OVC is way behind the SoCon in terms of depth, and they went 1-10 overall and 1-7 in conference last year while averaging less than 16 points per game.

UTC could very well be a really solid team, and I thought they looked better. But I am not sure what can really be determined about the Mocs based on this first game.

They were a bad team in a bad conference.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 02:22 PM
Furman scores late and falls 48-7 to Clemson.

Paladins gave a good account of themselves, but the Tigers are too much. Hard to get a good read on Furman given the caliber of opponent, but the defense looks very strong and wore down a bit late. Offense has a few question marks, but came on stronger against the Clemson reserves.

It does seem like Furman is still unsettled at QB. Darren Grainger, a true freshman, played most of the second half.

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2018, 05:22 PM
WCU's very young D looks horrendous and gives up a TD on Newberry's (yes - Newberry) first drive. Long throw by Adams to start the offensive season for Western, but they stall and kick a FG.
Newberry 7
WCU 3

Based on the first drive, WCU's offense better be spectacular or it will be a long season.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 05:31 PM
Wofford comes out wearing all black.

I'm not an aficionado on Wofford's uniforms, but I don't recall them wearing all black.

Also, at least on the ESPN+ feed, not only is there no Mark Hauser, there's no anybody. It's just a live feed of the game.

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 05:36 PM
Wofford comes out wearing all black.

I'm not an aficionado on Wofford's uniforms, but I don't recall them wearing all black.

Also, at least on the ESPN+ feed, not only is there no Mark Hauser, there's no anybody. It's just a live feed of the game.

Glad no announcer to point out how bad we suck. No discipline, sloppy across the board. Blocking is bad and execution is in slow motion.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 05:40 PM
Glad no announcer to point out how bad we suck. No discipline, sloppy across the board. Blocking is bad and execution is in slow motion.

Looks like it might be a long season in Chucktown.

I don't know how good Wofford is, but the Citadel looks pretty rough right now.

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2018, 05:44 PM
WCU scores on the first play of the 2nd quarter to pull ahead 10-7. WCU has 153 first quarter yards, but give up 107. Newberry's TD was on a busted play that turned into a long TD pass, but still...

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 05:50 PM
The Citadel making Wofford look like the 2000 St. Louis Rams right now.

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2018, 05:51 PM
Certainly not specific to Citadel, but overall watching games today it looks like half the teams must have not done any tackling in camp. It has been bad at all levels.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 05:54 PM
Certainly not specific to Citadel, but overall watching games today it looks like half the teams must have not done any tackling in camp. It has been bad at all levels.

They probably don't do that much tackling.

kdinva
September 1st, 2018, 05:55 PM
Looks like it might be a long season in Chucktown.

I don't know how good Wofford is, but the Citadel looks pretty rough right now.

it's 21-0........but woffy's stats people have it 33-0.... xdrunkyx

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 06:10 PM
Looks like Wofford is spending a lot more time out of the shotgun. Their speed guys appear to be running between the tackles a lot more than typical. It's still option, but not a lot of fullback dive stuff.

Joe Newman just threw a pick. He has not looked good on any attempted pass this game. He's their best QB, but he's an option style runner.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 06:14 PM
Looks like that pick woke up the Citadel

Smitty
September 1st, 2018, 06:36 PM
WCU scores on the first play of the 2nd quarter to pull ahead 10-7. WCU has 153 first quarter yards, but give up 107. Newberry's TD was on a busted play that turned into a long TD pass, but still...

Ugh I wish we could have a defense...

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2018, 06:40 PM
WCU only up 19-17 at the half. 306 yards of offense, but they give up 270 yards and way too many broken coverages, poor tackling, etc. In the words of JSUSoutherner - oof!!!

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2018, 06:48 PM
And not current-day SoCon, but if you didn't see it - App State loses to Penn State in OVERTIME!!! This is the same day of the year they beat Michigan.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 07:05 PM
Memphis hanging it on Mercer.

The Citadel coming back against Wofford.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 07:06 PM
Also, WCU, if you guys don't kick it in gear we are voting you off the island.

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 07:07 PM
Memphis hanging it on Mercer.

The Citadel coming back against Wofford.

We still suck. Wofford beateing themselves with bad decisions. Two nice picks we had but our O is still not in gear.

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2018, 07:10 PM
Also, WCU, if you guys don't kick it in gear we are voting you off the island.

WAY OFF! Newberry looks like the more confident team at this point. It's like WCU just thinks eventually we will score, and meanwhile we are slowly giving up as many yards to them as we have (331 WCU and 304 Newberry).

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 07:11 PM
Another bad mistake by Wofford.

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 07:19 PM
Wow. No way in hell I ever thought we would come back from down by 21. I think they figured out something that drive. Blocking still not great.

Smitty
September 1st, 2018, 07:24 PM
Judging by the cameras moving, there must be a earthquake happening in Cullowhee. No excuse for the TV production to be that bad.

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2018, 07:28 PM
I think they are trying to make it look like the runners for Newberry are "shifty" as an excuse on why we can't tackle anybody. 163 yards rushing to Newberry will be 400 against teh really physical running teams in the SoCon. We have to figure out a way to simply win this game against a D2 team.

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 07:29 PM
I think they are trying to make it look like the runners for Newberry are "shifty" as an excuse on why we can't tackle anybody.

Nobody is tackling as bad as us right now.

kdinva
September 1st, 2018, 07:31 PM
Wow. No way in hell I ever thought we would come back from down by 21. I think they figured out something that drive. Blocking still not great.

it's a game in Spartanburg........I wish Woffy's live stat person knew how to work that....they have The Citadel up 28-8

Smitty
September 1st, 2018, 07:33 PM
Nobody is tackling as bad as us right now.

Well at least you can't tackle in your own division....

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 07:34 PM
Memphis has 530 yards of offense before half time. Mercer has 37.

Certainly not panic time in Macon, because Memphis is a good team. But that's a butt kicking. Time to empty the bench.

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 07:38 PM
Wofford is running at will against us right now. We are running better but but I don't think good enough to score again. Wofford up 28-21 now.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 07:40 PM
Wofford is running at will against us right now. We are running better but but I don't think good enough to score again. Wofford up 28-21 now.

What happened with the Bulldog D? Two years ago they were an aggressive downhill attack style defense. The last half of last season and the first game of this season they are just trying to arm tackle guys.

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 07:40 PM

Certainly not panic time in Macon, because Memphis is a good team. But that's a butt kicking. Time to empty the bench.

This is a bit surprising. Mercer might just not have shown up. It happens.

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 07:41 PM
What happened with the Bulldog D? Two years ago they were an aggressive downhill attack style defense. The last half of last season and the first game of this season they are just trying to arm tackle guys.

Good question.

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 07:43 PM
This might be it for the Bulldogs. 654 to go and time to punt...again. Need a stop.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 07:43 PM
Newberry long bomb for a TD.

kdinva
September 1st, 2018, 07:44 PM

Didn't expect to see Mercer lay a bigger egg than VMI........Toledo = to Memphis.....

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 07:44 PM
Our true Freshman punter is the man. He is booming them tonight...so we got that going for us.

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2018, 07:48 PM
WCU - gives up another TD pass and are down 26-19. Even if we somehow find a way to scratch back and win this game (against a D2 school), it looks like wins are going to be pretty hard to come by. Newberry has 397 yards offense.

Smitty
September 1st, 2018, 07:49 PM
And Western's defense gave up another big play and Newberry leads by 7 (26-19)... Seriously what has Speir been working on this year?

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2018, 07:50 PM
Didn't expect to see Mercer lay a bigger egg than VMI........Toledo = to Memphis.....

Toledo <<<<<< Memphis. Memphis pushed UCF in their conference championship game and they won 10 games against better competition last season. They have a serious offense.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 07:53 PM
Toledo <<<<<< Memphis. Memphis pushed UCF in their conference championship game and they won 10 games against better competition last season. They have a serious offense.

I'll be interested in Bear's take. Memphis has a good offense, but I didn't think they'd put up more points in a half than Clemson did on Furman in a game.

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 07:55 PM
My Dogs driving hard. Could tie it up shortly.

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 07:56 PM
I'll be interested in Bear's take. Memphis has a good offense, but I didn't think they'd put up more points in a half than Clemson did on Furman in a game.

I thought that same thing.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 07:59 PM
Cit's got the ball on the 5 with 25 seconds and down 7

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 08:03 PM
Stop if you've heard this - Wofford wins a close one.

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 08:03 PM
Cit's got the ball on the 5 with 25 seconds and down 7

Last play. 5 yards to go. Nope. Game over. 4 plays 4 passes, 4 incomplete. Oh well. Good game.

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2018, 08:04 PM
Last play. 5 yards to go. Nope. Game over. 4 plays 4 passes, 4 incomplete. Oh well. Good game.

There was only 25 seconds left and you didn't have any TOs left. Once they didn't run on 1st down you didn't have much choice.

chattownmocs
September 1st, 2018, 08:07 PM

And they lost by 24 to UTC, whoopty do.

Smitty
September 1st, 2018, 08:13 PM
Whew a big stop and a good drive and Western has the lead now. 33-26

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2018, 08:15 PM
Lol. Youd think UTC was the heavy favorite to win the conference. Get a grip. If UTC's offense can improve to even mediocre, they'll have an excellent chance to win the conference. Tennessee Tech is not nearly as bad as those on here are claiming. They went 1-10 last year, but they didnt take a bunch of 40-50 point beatings.

Those were your words I was replying to.

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2018, 08:18 PM
Quick thoughts on this game: Joe Newman unfortunately lived up to criticisms. His mistakes kept the citadel in this one. I want to be specific in my criticism: he does throw the ball low, but the issue in this game was the decisions. The picks shouldn't have been thrown because the receiver were covered like hash browns at a waffle house.

Having said that, I like what we saw tonight. We are very deep on offense at the skill positions. Our defense played great but wheel routes are still our kryptonite. Really, citadel only sustained 1 or 2 drives. They scored off a pick six and two turnovers inside our 30.

I liked the decision to put Moseley in. We may have a QB battle on our hands. One of the problems we had last year is that we had 2 good QBs but didn't know how to pull the cold one at the right time. But in this game, I think we made the right decision at the right time.

All things considered, there's a lot to be happy about if you're Wofford. We won even though we were -3 on turnovers.

It's hard to read too much into either offense however because both teams know it so well. The last 4 meetings between wofford and the citadel have come down to the wire. I don't forsee this being a trend like last year. There were a lot of first game mistakes. Stay tuned.

Smitty
September 1st, 2018, 08:19 PM
WCU 33
Newberry 26
Final

Ugh...

That was not supposed to happen. We will get a bigger picture next week against Gardner-Webb, but won't know what the team will do until the Furman game at the end of September.

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 08:26 PM
There was only 25 seconds left and you didn't have any TOs left. Once they didn't run on 1st down you didn't have much choice.

Absolutely, but our QB, except for that one clutch pass downfield, did not look comfortable at all passing tonight. I would have run one to the edge to see what gave. Could have gotten 2-3 and made a run possible. As it was, we were transparent.

chattownmocs
September 1st, 2018, 08:30 PM
Those were your words I was replying to.

The socon sucks too. 28 points isnt bad for a 1-10 teams worst loss.

FUBeAR
September 1st, 2018, 08:31 PM
This is a bit surprising. Mercer might just not have shown up. It happens.
Mercer shouldn’t have come back out for the 2nd half & Memphis should stop payment on the check.

chattownmocs
September 1st, 2018, 08:33 PM
Absolutely, but our QB, except for that one clutch pass downfield, did not look comfortable at all passing tonight. I would have run one to the edge to see what gave. Could have gotten 2-3 and made a run possible. As it was, we were transparent.

The situation dictates that you absolutely CANNOT run the ball period.