PDA

View Full Version : Everyone from the Southern Conference!!!!

Pages : 1 [2]

youwouldno
April 2nd, 2007, 12:54 AM
It always gets tricky when you try to take it down to the game-by-game level and to almost-beats, though. The 5-3 JSU team that needed Rodney Allison's help to win at Chatty also took 6-1 Furman to the wire for the second year in a row. The TTU team the Mocs waxed was making its season debut just a few weeks after losing its head coach. EKU ... well, was its own special ball of dysfunction. They only lost by three to WCU, who got stomped by Furman, who nearly lost to JSU, who shut EKU out 28-0 ... see where I'm going?

This is all fun, of course, but the question we're arguing over is how Samford will do in the SoCon. We seem to agree that 2008 will be tough on the Bulldogs. For all the points we're all making about order of finish in 2006 and who beat who, it's going to be 4-5 years before we know who was right. As for how the OVC and the SoCon stack up, I don't think we've got enough head-to-head evidence. The best measuring stick we're gonna get, I think, is how badly Samford gets beat in the OVC this year, against how badly they're beaten in the SoCon in '08. :D

You're right of course that individual games are anecdotal and not indicative of anything in particular. How the average 5th place SoCon team compares to the average 5th place OVC team is kind of an irrelevant question anyway. It's pretty evident that the SoCon is very strong at the top, much more so than the OVC, and so for Samford to finish high in conference play is going to require a ton of improvement.

This is kind of tangential, but I think one thing that effects the non-elite SoCon teams is that the bar is so high to finish at or near the top. In other words, just being pretty good gets you nowhere, so programs have to gamble to some degree. UTC and WCU have exemplified that strategy, and of course recently they have fared very poorly. Those teams load up on athletic but raw players, hoping they can develop them such that they can compete with App St, Furman, and (traditionally) GSU's athletic and skilled players. And now there's Wofford, with a terrific coach, the option, and increasing athleticism.

The OVC doesn't have a perennial elite like the SoCon. The CAA is a top notch conference, but even they have a different incentive structure because of the divisional format. The end result is fewer true bottom feeders but a lower rate of elite teams (I say 'rate' because the CAA has more teams).

SoCon48
April 2nd, 2007, 01:21 AM
Oh.

You can bank on it.

OL FU
April 2nd, 2007, 07:08 AM
I have to respectfully disagree, If what you say is true then let's go even further back when unc-ch, dook, nc-state, and weak forest played folks like Davidson, Lenoir Rhyne, and others they wouldn't dream of playing today. You simply can not compare situations from 30+ years ago to today.

I disagree. The facts are still the same. We are a conference of large and small insitutions. Always have been. That is the fact. Samford, like them are not, continues that tradition.

OL FU
April 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
Because the bottom of the SOCON is weaker than the bottom of the OVC. The SOCON is stronger on the topside but the bottom team aren't very good.
xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xnonox

The Moody1
April 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
Let's see...currently in baseball, App State has two losses to an SEC school (South Carolina) and Samford has 1 win (Alabama) and 2 losses (Auburn, Mississippi State).

Well I guess that settles it. Samford will be the class of the SoConxrolleyesx

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Well I guess that settles it. Samford will be the class of the SoConxrolleyesx
IN THEIR DREAMS...

THEY WILL BE BOTTOM FEEDERS IN EVERY SPORT AND THEY KNOW IT xnodx xnodx xnodx

JaxSinfonian
April 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
You can bank on it.

Weird. I called my bank and they didn't know what the heck you were talking about.

lizrdgizrd
April 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
IN THEIR DREAMS...

I doubt they will be bottom feeders in every sport. Baseball is not what I would consider the SoCon's forte and there's definitely room for SU to be a force.

OL FU
April 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
IN THEIR DREAMS...

At least put a smiley face on your post when you say something like thatxrolleyesx

SoCon48
April 2nd, 2007, 12:17 PM
Weird. I called my bank and they didn't know what the heck you were talking about.

You really ought to consider putting your $ in banks with FDIC accounts.

Laserlips
April 2nd, 2007, 01:26 PM
I doubt they will be bottom feeders in every sport. Baseball is not what I would consider the SoCon's forte and there's definitely room for SU to be a force.

What is this "bassboll" of which you speak? xeyebrowx

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

GSU Eagle Fan

AppMan
April 2nd, 2007, 09:47 PM

I think you need to recheck your facts on SoCon baseball.

SoCon48
April 3rd, 2007, 07:20 AM

Some consider us to be a baseball conference. Those people have a point, but I'm not quite sure how a confernce could be a non-rev sport conference. But I guess it's posible.

appfan2008
April 3rd, 2007, 07:36 AM
No lizrdgizrd historically baseball is not asu's forte!... but the Socon? that is what this conference is all about... right behind football... we always have teams ranked and do will in the ncaa's but hey maybe your right xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

lizrdgizrd
April 3rd, 2007, 08:17 AM
Guess I'm just used to ASU's baseball team :(

Cocky
April 3rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
No lizrdgizrd historically baseball is not asu's forte!... but the Socon? that is what this conference is all about... right behind football... we always have teams ranked and do will in the ncaa's but hey maybe your right xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Chattanooga doesn't even have a team, do they?

youwouldno
April 3rd, 2007, 08:42 AM
What difference does it make if UTC has a team, last season the SoCon had two top 25 teams and was 7th in RPI... not quite as good this year but still pretty good.

SoCon48
April 3rd, 2007, 08:43 AM
Guess I'm just used to ASU's baseball team :(
It's rapidly improving as long as we can keep this Pollard guy.

Cocky
April 3rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
What difference does it make if UTC has a team, last season the SoCon had two top 25 teams and was 7th in RPI... not quite as good this year but still pretty good.

Do they have a team?

OL FU
April 3rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
Do they have a team?

I don't believe so

MarkCCU
April 3rd, 2007, 09:31 AM

You mean they aren't looking good for 07? If so then wait for the season to start. AppState didn't look good last year early in spring training but guess what? They's B Nashunal Champs!

CID1990
April 3rd, 2007, 11:24 AM

WHOA NELLIE!

Don't let the lack of objections to this statement make you think that you have a good point or something! If there were more Western Carolina or Citadel fans on this site (...or ANY College of Charleston fans) they would whup you good. The SoCon is certainly a baseball conference. Nobody (not even Clemson or USC) shows up in the Whee or Charleston thinking they are going to come away with an automatic win.

Also don't forget that ALL SoCon schools play baseball.

OL FU
April 3rd, 2007, 11:43 AM

I really don't think Chattanooga doesxnonox

lizrdgizrd
April 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
WHOA NELLIE!

Don't let the lack of objections to this statement make you think that you have a good point or something! If there were more Western Carolina or Citadel fans on this site (...or ANY College of Charleston fans) they would whup you good. The SoCon is certainly a baseball conference. Nobody (not even Clemson or USC) shows up in the Whee or Charleston thinking they are going to come away with an automatic win.

I don't think there's been any lack of me getting my booty whooped on this one. xlolx
xasswhipx xspankx xarguex -> xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

MarkCCU
April 3rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
I don't think there's been any lack of me getting my booty whooped on this one. xlolx

Take a look at College of Charleston. They have an amazing team...AMAZING

MarkCCU
April 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM

xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

lizrdgizrd
April 3rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx
Just the way I like it! xsmiley_wix xlolx

appfan2008
April 3rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
I must say I think the Liz has had enough

seantaylor
April 3rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
Let's not forget about GSU, who has been to two College World Series. My than all of the other Socon schools combined.

BigApp
April 3rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
Samford is pretty decent in basketball and has a rising baseball program (not a big NCAA sport in general but it is the SoCon's best).

according to their own website, from 2000 to date, they've had one winning baseball season 34-25 last year. Otherwise, the closest they came was a 27-31 effort in 2002. Other years, they were 20-36, 25-33, 17-34, 20-34.

They do not have a good basketball program. 2 winning seasons in the last 5, one of those was a 15-13 on the backs of a bunch of D2's. Once in the last 5 have they made out of the 1st round of their conference tourney.

Bark first then Bite
April 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
Nope. We were in the OVC Semis this year & the finals last year in Basketball. xnonox

You can talk about our D-2 wins but when you play(ed) in a high school type gym, it's hard to get D-1's to give you a home game. Problem hopefully solved next year with our new arena. Two winning seasons in the last five & one near miss .500 season (this season) - you can blame that on road games vs. Florida, Arizona & LSU. Our losing seasons were 4 & 5 years ago (13-15 & 12-16). Prior to that we won a couple of A-Sun championships & enjoyed wins against several high majors. Basketball will be competitive - mark it down.

Baseball is being upgraded at Samford - facilities & talent have improved significantly in the past 2 to 3 years. Last year was a good year & some of us thought this year would be even better. So far, that's not the case, but in the OVC all that matters is who wins the tourney, so if we can get a couple of arms healthy, we will see. We have a ways to go, IMO, to be an upper echelon SoCon baseball team, but we have the facilities & coach to get there. Two years is a long time in college baseball. Look at where Vanderbilt was 3 or 4 years ago & look where they are now. We are undergoing a similar process, although, by no means do I predict as high an upside.

BigApp
April 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
ok, 2 years out of 5 you've made it out of your basketball 1st round. That doesn't significantly change my post.

Bark first then Bite
April 4th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Point being our losing seasons were 4 & 5 years ago. Every school has a down year or two now & then. Look at our coach's all time record at Samford - he's a winner. Look at his record the last three years - back to winning. Now, starting this year, he has a real arena to sell in recruiting. Do you think it's gonna be harder to recruit to the SoCon than the OVC? All indications point to a stronger basketball progrram in the future & it hasn't been too shabby over the past 10 years. Really, the seasons 4 & 5 years ago were the outliers.

appfan2008
April 4th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Point being our losing seasons were 4 & 5 years ago. Every school has a down year or two now & then. Look at our coach's all time record at Samford - he's a winner. Look at his record the last three years - back to winning. Now, starting this year, he has a real arena to sell in recruiting. Do you think it's gonna be harder to recruit to the SoCon than the OVC? All indications point to a stronger basketball progrram in the future & it hasn't been too shabby over the past 10 years. Really, the seasons 4 & 5 years ago were the outliers.
you can have as strong a basketball program as you would like but there will always be one slight problem to enjoying that program... DAVIDSON... they will never let you make it to the tournamen and say they have an off year? how about c of c or utc they will take the title because the tourney seems to always be on one of their home courts. anyway it is an uphill battle for all of us in basketball so good luck

The Gadfly
April 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Samford will win the SoCon Championship in . . . something. I just don't know which one yet. Women's Ping Pong. . . maybe. xthumbsupx

yes, I'm bitter

AppMan
April 6th, 2007, 10:02 PM

The SoCon was ranked as the 8th best conference in the nation in 2006 behind the SEC, ACC, Big XII, CUSA, Pac Ten, Big West & Sun Belt. The league has slipped to 12th this year but, that #12 ranking is ahead of folks like the Big East, CAA, WAC, Mtn West, MAC, OVC, A-10 ect...

PaladinFan
April 7th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Furman's helping to the baseball decline. Oh, and this was supposed to be a down year for Davidson basketball.

CID1990
April 7th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Let's not forget about GSU, who has been to two College World Series. My than all of the other Socon schools combined.

......and The Citadel. College World Series 1990. Swept Miami in the regionals 2 games in a row to get there, then beat Cal State Fullerton in Omaha. LSU had our number, though.

appfan2008
April 7th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Furman's helping to the baseball decline. Oh, and this was supposed to be a down year for Davidson basketball.
and then that freshman curry came along!

AppMan
April 9th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I don't think anyone is jumping for joy at the prospect of Samford. However, money talks and the SoCon is going to expand to a major market where ONLY Furman has any kind of SoCon footprint.

If Samford comes out and pulls their weight, I don't think you will find too many arguements. Yeah, Elon hasn't been gangbusters in football, but they have one of the better baseball teams. I look at the addition of Samford as an "overall" choice, not just a football one.

I think Furman was the last SoCon team to square off with SU and they played us pretty tough. I don't see them as a slouch, but they will probably come in and get hammered early with the teams we play.

All that said, if they get their stuff together, bring em on. This conference is on the way up as a lot of the bottom dwellers are starting to really look a lot better. Hopefully they can fit right into that.

One word, though. Birmingham.

All one has to do is look at the last three schools admitted to the SoCon to get a reading on the direction this league is headed. The enrollments of the privates & like privates in the SoCon - Furman (2600), The Citadel (1964), Davidson (1799), Wofford (1100), Elon (4800), and Samford (2830) - combined add up to ASU's enrollment. Someone please tell me what ASU has in common with these guys and why we should remain in this conference.

JDC325
April 9th, 2007, 10:33 PM
All one has to do is look at the last three schools admitted to the SoCon to get a reading on the direction this league is headed. The enrollments of the privates & like privates in the SoCon - Furman (2600), The Citadel (1964), Davidson (1799), Wofford (1100), Elon (4800), and Samford (2830) - combined add up to ASU's enrollment. Someone please tell me what ASU has in common with these guys and why we should remain in this conference.

Nothing lets go!!!

JDC325
April 9th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Samford will win the SoCon Championship in . . . something. I just don't know which one yet. Women's Ping Pong. . . maybe. xthumbsupx

yes, I'm bitter

Ranked top ten in chinese checkers!!

youwouldno
April 9th, 2007, 10:36 PM

What does UCF, I think the largest university in Florida, have to do with fellow C-USA members Tulsa and Rice?

Oh right, nothing, except athletics.

Nice try.

OL FU
April 10th, 2007, 07:13 AM

You shouldn't. you should leavexnodx

lizrdgizrd
April 10th, 2007, 08:24 AM
You shouldn't. you should leavexnodx
Let him leave, the rest of us will stay. xsmiley_wix

OL FU
April 10th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Exactly

appfan2008
April 10th, 2007, 09:26 AM
we dont need him or his condescending nature... i am happy in the socon

citdog
April 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM

I am sick of the term "like a private" and The Citadel being used together. Either call us a dick or not!xlolx

We are as State Supported as anyone, otherwise we wouldn't have women ruining my Corps!xbawlingx

lizrdgizrd
April 10th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I am sick of the term "like a private" and The Citadel being used together. Either call us a dick or not!xlolx

We are as State Supported as anyone, otherwise we wouldn't have women ruining my Corps!xbawlingx
So get to work and fix that! xlolx

Jiggs
April 10th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

P.S. Samford enrollment - 4478.

citdog
April 10th, 2007, 11:20 AM

to whom was this directed SoCon KNOB?

SoCon48
April 10th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Undergrads in most cases are the only ones on campus who attend games in any numbers. Samford is about 2900 undergrad enrollment. (according to the Samford web site)

SoCon48
April 10th, 2007, 11:58 AM

heh heh. Not yet officially a member (not until '08) and already telling others to get out. xrulesx

Jiggs
April 26th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Another SEC win for Samford

http://samfordsports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/042507aaa.html