PDA

View Full Version : UMaine freshman player dies during workout

ccd494
July 24th, 2018, 05:16 PM
https://www.pressherald.com/2018/07/24/umaine-football-player-dies-during-workout-on-campus/

No name or details have been released yet.

Laker
July 24th, 2018, 05:36 PM
Very sad to lose someone so young.

dbackjon
July 24th, 2018, 05:39 PM
So tragic

Milktruck74
July 24th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Prayers for the Bears....and the family!!!! Hearing more and more things like this...don't want to sound crass, but I think kids don't spend enough time outside getting acclimated to the weather during the summer.....by the time I showed up at camp, it was a relaxing break from putting up hay all summer!!!!

RootinFerDukes
July 24th, 2018, 06:10 PM
I'm sorry to hear that and I wish the best for Maine this season.

katss07
July 24th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Just plain scary. Sorry to hear this.

BEAR
July 24th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Sad news. Prayers for the family and teammates. #GoBears

RootinFerDukes
July 24th, 2018, 07:02 PM
It is Darius Minor, a former player at Orange County High School in Orange, VA.

ST_Lawson
July 24th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Prayers for the Bears....and the family!!!! Hearing more and more things like this...don't want to sound crass, but I think kids don't spend enough time outside getting acclimated to the weather during the summer.....by the time I showed up at camp, it was a relaxing break from putting up hay all summer!!!!

I don't think it was the weather in this case. Dew point was ~70 with a heat index in the mid-80s in that area early this afternoon. A kid in anything close to football-playing shape shouldn't really have a problem with that.

It's a horrible situation, whatever the reason, and my thoughts are with the UMaine family right now.

whoanellie
July 24th, 2018, 08:49 PM
condolences to his family

Milktruck74
July 25th, 2018, 08:13 AM
I don't think it was the weather in this case. Dew point was ~70 with a heat index in the mid-80s in that area early this afternoon. A kid in anything close to football-playing shape shouldn't really have a problem with that.

It's a horrible situation, whatever the reason, and my thoughts are with the UMaine family right now.

True. When we do hear about tragic events that hit teams, it hurts all of us....We may be the fiercest rivals, but we are one big football family when we need to be.... THe response a few years back when Chattanooga had the shooter, the response for Jax state's tornados...this.... It helps to put our rivalries into perspective.

Outsider1
July 25th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Lots of prayers to all the family and friends.

Fordham
July 25th, 2018, 09:57 AM
just awful. RIP.

I follow Penn State football a decent amount and one of their stud recruits had to give up football due to a hereditary heart condition they picked up on. Reading the articles I wonder if this is something similar but, horribly unfortunately, wasn't found during health screening?

God bless his family to have to deal with this.

jmufan999
July 26th, 2018, 01:11 PM
awful news, Bears. i'm so sorry to hear about this. it's just tragic.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 26th, 2018, 01:29 PM
RIP to the yourng man and I sure hope the best for his family and friends in such a tough spot right now. Terrible to hear these sorts of things each year. Just feel so sad for them all dealing with this tragedy.

Anthony215
July 26th, 2018, 02:03 PM
Prayers to his family friends, teammates and coaches. Such a tragedy that probably couldn't have been prevented if it was an underlying hard to diagnose health issue he may have had. Sad that medical technology can't catch many of these issues before a kid passes out on the field/court and ultimately dies. One day in the near future hopefully we have the capability to have all incoming freshmen take testing to make sure there are no cardiac issues that could result in death while practicing or playing in games. The coaching staff who witnessed him fall out and take his last breaths have to be going through hell right now feeling lost and hopeless.

CenMEBlackBearFan
July 26th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Prayers to his family friends, teammates and coaches. Such a tragedy that probably couldn't have been prevented if it was an underlying hard to diagnose health issue he may have had. Sad that medical technology can't catch many of these issues before a kid passes out on the field/court and ultimately dies. One day in the near future hopefully we have the capability to have all incoming freshmen take testing to make sure there are no cardiac issues that could result in death while practicing or playing in games. The coaching staff who witnessed him fall out and take his last breaths have to be going through hell right now feeling lost and hopeless.

I agree totally on how tough this must be for the coaches present as well as the other team mates. Here is the latest article about this tragedy.
https://bangordailynews.com/2018/07/25/news/bangor/umaine-coaches-teammates-reeling-after-death-of-football-player-during-practice/

Derby City Duke
July 26th, 2018, 10:16 PM
May the Bears find comfort with each other as they try to make sense of something that makes no sense. Orange County is not too far up the road from my hometown. My prayers go up for his family and friends in Orange Co. and Maine. Best of luck to the Bears this season.

TheKingpin28
July 27th, 2018, 05:36 AM
I can't imagine what the family is going through. I am sorry to hear this.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

dunbar
July 27th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Tragedy is the only appropriate word. Thoughts and prayers to his mother and family. We can only imagine what they are going through right now. The University of Maine and Black Bear football will always be there for you.

Harasymiak says it as well as anybody could:
https://twitter.com/umainecoachh/status/1022599666939191298?s=21

https://www.gofundme.com/memorial-for-darius-quotbubbyquot-minor?member=503454

CenMEBlackBearFan
July 27th, 2018, 07:52 AM
Latest article on the life of Darius Minor. Sounded just like the type of athlete that chooses UMaine, overlooked by alot of schools with a bit of a chip and something to prove. Prayers and sympathies to the Minor family.
https://bangordailynews.com/2018/07/27/news/bangor/darius-minor-fought-back-after-injury-to-earn-umaine-scholarship/comments/