PDA

View Full Version : NFLE: Offensive Skill Players arrive

flea
March 10th, 2007, 03:40 AM
American players arrive in camp

The first group of American players -- including several big names with NFL experience -- have touched down in Tampa, Fla., to begin preparations for the 15th NFL Europa League season, which kicks off on Saturday April 14.

Offensive skill position players, along with centers, were the first to arrive and they will now conduct a short passing camp across the Tampa Bay area before being joined by remaining offensive linemen, defenders and special teamers on Sunday. The first full team practices take place on Wednesday March 14.

One of the first to arrive in Tampa was standout UCLA quarterback Drew Olson, who has been assigned to the Amsterdam Admirals by the Baltimore Ravens.

Looking ahead to his NFL Europa challenge, Olson said: “This is a great opportunity. I’m just fired up to play again. We get to play this game while promoting the sport in another country. There is a lot of excitement.”

Olson is especially excited about working with Admirals head coach Bart Andrus, who coached Baltimore Ravens starting quarterback Steve McNair when the pair was in Tennessee.

“I’ve heard he’s a great coach,” Olson admitted. “He has a lot of experience and I talked to Steve (McNair) about him. He had great things to say about coach Andrus. He works with quarterbacks so I am fired up to be under him for 10 games, hopefully 11.”

Another quarterback with huge potential who arrived on Thursday evening was fifth round draft choice Omar Jacobs, who will play for the Berlin Thunder after being allocated to NFL Europa by the Kansas City Chiefs.

Jacobs had a stellar career at Bowling Green and is pumped up about making a return to meaningful game action.

“It’s exciting to see all of these guys getting ready to play football again,” Jacobs said, as he prepared to undergo his NFL Europa physical exam. “It’s another chance to showcase my talent, to get that team camaraderie again and to go out and have fun.”

The Hamburg Sea Devils roster is littered with big-name players with NFL experience as running backs John David Washington (St. Louis Rams) and Quentin Griffin, and former first round wide receiver Rashaun Woods rolled into town.

Griffin, who started five regular season games for the Denver Broncos, said: “I’m looking forward to going out and playing football while seeing another country. I’m excited about getting back to doing what I love to do.”

Washington, the son of Hollywood star Denzel Washington, added: “I’m looking forward to the people, the fans and the culture of Germany and learning about the spirit and true essence of what it is. I’m very excited to be meeting people in Germany and seeing another country, breathing the air and taking in the whole experience.”

When the Rhein Fire kicks off its preseason training camp, the battle for the starting quarterback’s job is going to be one of the main events as Brett Elliott, of the San Diego Chargers, challenges former NFL starter Cody Pickett and free agent Brian Wrobel for the coveted spot under center.

Elliott, who starred for Division III school Linfield during his college career, was excited to get training camp underway, insisting: “I am really focused on eliminating the myth that I played against inferior competition and that I couldn’t do it against better players. This is as close as it gets to the real NFL and I want to go out there and prove I can play at this level.

“Once we get out there on that practice field together, we’ll get back into our routine and our old habits will carry us all the way. I’m just going to try to get that World Bowl.”

One of three quarterbacks battling for playing time with the Cologne Centurions will be former Fresno State star Paul Pinegar. At 6-foot-5 and 231 pounds, Pinegar has the kind of size NFL scouts love. Now he will be keen to showcase his talents as scouts from across America converge on Florida to assess the talent available in NFL Europa.

“I was out of football last season so this is a great opportunity to play again,” Pinegar admitted. “It’s a fresh team and a new start. All I’ve heard is positive things about NFL Europa and I’m excited to be a part of it.”

Tampa Bay Buccaneers-allocated quarterback Bruce Eugene was on familiar ground when he joined forces with the Frankfurt Galaxy, and admitted he couldn’t wait to hit the practice field.

“I really want to get back into it and get playing again,” the strong-armed passer from Grambling said. “I’m really enjoying this experience and cannot wait to get out there and kick off the season.”

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/10050351