PDA

View Full Version : NFL Europa QB Eakin Now Buffalo Allocation

flea
March 2nd, 2007, 12:38 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4642

NFL Europa QB Eakin Now Buffalo Allocation
by Chris Brown, Lead Journalist Last Updated: 3/1/2007 3:30 PM ET

The Bills added to their stable of developmental talent in NFL Europa by signing quarterback Kevin Eakin of the Frankfurt Galaxy.

Eakin (6'0" 205) had already been assigned to the club as an NFL Europa free agent. The Bills then signed him to hold his contractual rights.

Frankfurt is no stranger to Eakin, who played for the Galaxy in 2005 as an allocation of the New York Jets. He played under the direction of quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt, now offensive quality control coach for the Bills.

"It was phenomenal," said Eakin of his experience working with Van Pelt. "He's a great coach. Obviously he brings a player perspective to the game and relates well with not only the quarterbacks, but all the other positions on the field."

Van Pelt had Eakin run the K-Gun offense in Europe and he performed well finishing as the league's second leading passer throwing for almost 1,300 yards with 11 touchdowns and five interceptions and a passer rating of 89.6 making six starts and appearing in 10 games.

"The biggest asset he has is his intelligence," said Van Pelt. "He picked up the system that we ran over there very quickly. He's got a big strong arm. He's not a big guy, but he's got a big arm. He's a smart kid, a good leader, a no-nonsense, tough guy. He just needs a break to get in."

"I loved it especially having watched the Bills in the early 90's and seeing what they did going to all those Super Bowls and the wins they had," said Eakin of running the Jim Kelly offense. "It was fun and a new system to adapt to."

It was also a stark contrast to the west coast system he ran at Division 1-AA Fordham where he finished as the Rams all-time leader in passing yards (6,112), touchdown passes (45) and completion percentage (61.5).

After his successful NFL Europe debut Eakin failed to make the Jets 53-man roster and proceeded to sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL on Sept. 20, 2005.

But after two seasons in the Canadian Football League Eakin felt his game was going backwards and asked for his release which was granted just over a month ago. He re-entered NFL Europa as a free agent hoping to resurrect his career.

"I just want to mature as a football player," Eakin said. "I spent the last two years in the Canadian Football League, so it'll be fun to have four downs again. I just want to get better and develop as a player and that's what the league is for so hopefully I can take advantage of that."

Eakin doesn't have a specific area of his game that he's looking to improve, he's just hoping his whole game comes together.

"Consistency is where I'm looking to be better," Eakin said. "As a quarterback that's one of the major things. I can throw the ball and call the plays, but I want to be able to put together 60 minute games."